Helpful ReplyReaper is an awsome DAW "PERIOD" License $60

Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 10
Author
Mosvalve
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1194
2017/11/25 01:52:19 (permalink)

Reaper is an awsome DAW "PERIOD" License $60

I've been play with the demo and I gotta tell ya if I had demo'd it before Sonar I might have gone with it. Don't get me wrong it may not have many features Sonar has but I don't use half the features Sonar has anyway. I have Studio One 3 Pro which I have been using and like also but the more i use Reaper the more I like it. I'm going to buy it because it's a no brainer.

They also have good video tutorials
post edited by Mosvalve - 2017/12/07 14:15:19

BobV 

ASUS Prime Z370-P - Intel Core i7+ 8700K 3.7GHZ 16GB Memory, Intel HD Graphics 630 GPU,  Windows 10 Pro 64bit,  , Sonar Platinum 64bit, Motu 828MK3 Hybrid, Warm Audio TB12 Pre, Warm Audio WA273 Pre, AEA RPQ 500 Pre, Warm Audio WA76 Compressor, Presonus D8 Pre, Tonelux EQ5P 500 Eq, Kush Electra 500 Eq, Lindell PEX 500 Eq, Yamaha 80M monitors with HS10W Sub,  and a bunch of other good stuff. I have a Roland Juno-106 that's looking for a new home. PM me.
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 729
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/11/25 02:28:59 (permalink)
Plus you get updates very regular and for free for a long time(Officially 2 versions). My last REAPER license was purchased on
26th December 2013 and still going strong, about to enter its 5th year of free updates (Plus it never really runs out, the REAPER demo is fully functional and never expires) but I prefer to pay for my stuff.

Intel i7 4790 @3.6Ghz - 32GB Ram - Windows 10 Pro 64bit - RME Fireface UFX+
Studio One 4 Professional, REAPER, CbB-(Couldnb't be Bothered)
More Plugs than Plumbers Warehouse.

Happy Studio One User Since August 2015

"It's the entertainment value, the comic relief . . . plus the Software and Deals Forum"

michael diemer
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1128
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/11/25 02:44:55 (permalink)
Reaper continues to be overlooked. Must be the price. Or lack of advertising. Or maybe because it doesn't come loaded with a bunch of stuff that mostly never gets used. Oh well, it's your money.

michael diemer
Intel Quad Core i7-3770 Ivy Bridge
32 GB ram
1TB Western Digital Black X2
Microsoft Windows 7 Pro 64
UR22 interface
Bandlab Cakewalk/Sonar 8.5 Studio
GPO-EWQLSO Gold-Vienna SP ED-Cinematic Strings 2

SWANG
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 191
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/11/25 03:10:05 (permalink)
i really love reaper. i will admit though to not using to its fullest yet. how is softsynth (3rd party) integration? easy as sonar? rewire?
papercut
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 65
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/11/25 03:19:56 (permalink)
Been checking out the vids explaining it. Encouraging stuff.

Also encouraging to read that it's said to run efficiently.
skinnybones lampshade
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 530
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/11/25 03:38:56 (permalink)
I really like the look of it, too. On top of its solid build and surprising depth, it has two features I've wanted for ages: varispeed and the ability to set the first measure as measure #0, allowing you to match bar numbers with a written score beginning with some material (upbeat, anacrusis, syncopated first note, etc.) before the first downbeat. Being able to label the first measure as "0" allows bar number one to come in the "right" place with its proper label, and not as bar number two.

Unfortunately, for me, the deal-breaker is that there's no ARA integration. So Melodyne, which I use very often, would again become a pain to use. This, so soon after having become so painless to use in Sonar with the introduction of ARA integration. So I'm reluctant to return to needing to resort to the multi-step, time-consuming, inspiration-killing workarounds.

The lack of ARA is also stopping me from further investigating Cubase.
the_user_formally_known_as_glennbo
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 317
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/11/25 04:17:57 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ar.metts 2017/11/26 02:03:36
Well I couldn't resist creating a NEW account here. My original one got nuked because of my singing the praises of REAPER!

I jumped ship and became an avid REAPER user after Sonar 5, which I beta tested for. In my most honest opinion, REAPER blows pretty much any other DAW software to pieces, and I ain't saying that so other folks will validate me buying it!

Some things I *LOVE* about it are:

Variable speed control that works just like a reel-to-reel. Slow the song down, and hit that highest note without cracking your voice or going falsetto.

A track is a track is a track.  There is no such thing as an instrument track or an audio track. Any track can record midi or audio, and if you want to be obtuse, you could even record both on one track. You can do crazy stuff like have multiple audio clips, all at different sample rates and bit depths, and it will let you get away with it.

More cool things it does outside the box are, a single track can have up to 64 audio pipelines. What that does for you is let you route the audio that you will hear, vs audio that will be used for side chain functions, or other totally bizarre stuff.

You can stack multiple softsynths into the FX bin and they ALL play so if you want to create a huge and complex instrument, it's a piece of CAKE.

The routing capabilities are farther out than you can probably think, and to lace up routing from one thing to another, you simply drag from the send of one thing to the receive of another, and again with more individual pipelines than you'll ever think of using.

The audio engine is probably the most efficient one on the planet, and Justin even compiles parts of it with older, non-bloated Borland C++ to achieve the least CPU hit imaginable. 

You can copy and paste envelopes, and the envelopes ACTUALLY WORK, unlike some other DAW software!!!

You can scale the entire UI up or down (every element) to sit on your screen well. I have an older net book and used to record my band playing live with it, and with it's limited screen res, I scaled REAPER down to 90%.

A track folder by default is also a bus, which I use extensively for grouping vocals, drums, and other things. You can put folders into other folders and create a complex hierarchies. You can also drag-drop around a folder, if you want to bypass the folder as a sub, but I can't imagine why you would want to do that.

In closing I will say that if you try REAPER, you are going to be intimidated, and that it has a STEEP learning curve, but that is to be expected with a piece of software that has almost infinite possibilities. Don't think that you can spend an hour or two with it, and make and educated decision about it. If you try it, I STRONGLY suggest you get on the forum and ASK questions, as well as watch some of the many videos there are for it.

Sorry to hear that you guys ship has abandoned you.  :-/

Peace
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Glennbo                      

michael diemer
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/11/25 05:44:43 (permalink)
I find Reaper adequate for my needs. My only criticism is that some of the text is too small for my 60+ eyes. Which causes eyestrain, which limits how long I can work. Other than that, it does what I need it to do. One thing I really like: it downloads and installs in two minutes. Of course, it's a much smaller program. I think everyone should try it, you never know, it may work for you. And you'll save a lot. I keep trying other stuff, most recently Cubase, but nothing has been able to lure me away from Reaper. I think the learning curve has been exaggerated. It's not that difficult to learn.

michael diemer
32 GB ram
UR22 interface

Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/11/25 06:04:46 (permalink)
michael diemerI think the learning curve has been exaggerated. It's not that difficult to learn.

It is when folks go into it expecting that it will operate exactly like Sonar.  It is precisely due to the fact that it does not stay within the confines of legacy thought and coding that make it possible to do things like "Paramater Modulation", which I forgot to mention earlier. Parameter Modulation lets you automate any parameter on FX such that any plugin can effectively be side-chained, even if it doesn't have that function. As long as it has some automatable parameters, they can be governed by the amplitude of the track they are on, or from other tracks, ala pseudo-side-chaining. My point is, with so many things a user isn't used to, it's easy to shrug and just say "well this thing sucks", where a longer look, possibly with some additional help will likely evoke a different response.

Glennbo
---------------------------------------------------------
http://soundclick.com/glennbo

Amicus717
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 555
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/11/25 06:50:12 (permalink)
Well, I fired up my copy of Reaper today, and wasn't impressed by the experience. For whatever reason, Reaper has decided that my Oxygen49 controller is no longer responding, and throws up this message:

"The following MIDI output device is not responding: Oxygen49
REAPER will wait for it to resume, but it may require a disconnect/reconnect"

This dialogue box won't go away, no matter what I do -- disconnect the keyboard, reconnect it, whatever. And while this box is up, Reaper won't let me access anything else. I have to use Task Manager to close the program. And every time I fire up Reaper, I get this same message. I searched the Reaper message boards for any solutions, found the question being asked a few times over the past year, most with no answer, or only a few half-hearted responses.

Not impressed. 

And the keyboard, for the record, is working perfectly in every other DAW I currently have on my system, including SO3, Sonar and Samplitude. Glennbo, have you come across this behavior from Reaper at all? Right now, my only option is to ditch it, I think...

Sonar Platinum, Windows 10 Pro 64, Core i7-5820K Haswell-E CPU, 32GB DDR4 RAM, RME Babyface, Adam F7 monitors, Mackie MCU
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/11/25 07:14:39 (permalink)
Amicus717
Well, I fired up my copy of Reaper today, and wasn't impressed by the experience. For whatever reason, Reaper has decided that my Oxygen49 controller is no longer responding, and throws up this message:

"The following MIDI output device is not responding: Oxygen49
REAPER will wait for it to resume, but it may require a disconnect/reconnect"

This dialogue box won't go away, no matter what I do -- disconnect the keyboard, reconnect it, whatever. And while this box is up, Reaper won't let me access anything else. I have to use Task Manager to close the program. And every time I fire up Reaper, I get this same message. I searched the Reaper message boards for any solutions, found the question being asked a few times over the past year, most with no answer, or only a few half-hearted responses.

Not impressed. 

And the keyboard, for the record, is working perfectly in every other DAW I currently have on my system, including SO3, Sonar and Samplitude. Glennbo, have you come across this behavior from Reaper at all? Right now, my only option is to ditch it, I think...

A quick search turned up this thread, where a user of an Oxygen 49 tried some of the suggestions, and resolved the issues.

Edit: crap, the forum software won't let me post a link. Take the spaces out of this URL.

h t t p s : / / forum . cockos . com / showthread . php ? t = 146026

Bottom line is, get the shoe that fits your foot. My point in even posting about REAPER was to share my own experiences with it. I've used REAPER  since 2005, with five or six different machines, and watched Justin respond to the requests over the years, like adding musical notation in the last year or so. If something else floats your boat, you should definitely get that. It won't make any difference to me whether anybody decides to try or buy REAPER, I don't need any validation for my use of it. On the flipper, it would be a disservice if I didn't share my experience with it, when so many people are trying to get educated about DAWs other than Sonar.

Peace

Glennbo

Amicus717
  • Total Posts : 555
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/11/25 07:55:34 (permalink)
Thanks, appreciate the link and advice.

Sonar Platinum, Windows 10 Pro 64, Core i7-5820K Haswell-E CPU, 32GB DDR4 RAM, RME Babyface, Adam F7 monitors, Mackie MCU
mosspa
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 818
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/11/25 09:41:45 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby jude77 2017/12/04 03:19:39
In my 'panic', I purchased the $60 Reaper just to see how it felt.  After about about an hour f***ing with it, I decided that it probably wouldn't be much of an improvement on Mixcraft.  Just looking at the interface, I realized that I would need to RTFM.  For me, that is a no-starter.  I wasn't even able to produce the DAW equivalent of "Hello world" in that time.

John

AsRock Taichi 399, AMD Threadripper 1950x  O.C. 4.0GHz. 64GB DDR4-3200, Win 10 Pro,  Focusrite Scarlet 18i 20/Scarlet Octo Pre.  Frontier Design Apache ADAT routing, MOTU MTP MIDI Routing
dubdisciple
Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5849
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/11/25 09:47:05 (permalink)
mosspa
In my 'panic', I purchased the $60 Reaper just to see how it felt.  After about about an hour f***ing with it, I decided that it probably wouldn't be much of an improvement on Mixcraft.  Just looking at the interface, I realized that I would need to RTFM.  For me, that is a no-starter.  I wasn't even able to produce the DAW equivalent of "Hello world" in that time.

You can probably watch 20 minutes worth of video and get basics. Not saying you will instantly fall in love, but the basics can be done without reading manual.
BobF
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8124
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/11/25 12:53:03 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby kennywtelejazz 2017/12/10 05:11:49
Reaper is well worth the initial effort getting your head around it.

Bob  --
Angels are crying because truth has died ...
Illegitimi non carborundum
--
Studio One Pro / i7-6700@3.80GHZ, 32GB Win 10 Pro x64
Roland FA06, LX61+, Fishman Tripleplay, FaderPort, US-16x08 + ARC2.5/Event PS8s 
Waves Gold/IKM Max/Nomad Factory IS3/K11U

cityrat
Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 671
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/11/25 13:03:19 (permalink)
michael diemer
I find Reaper adequate for my needs. My only criticism is that some of the text is too small for my 60+ eyes. Which causes eyestrain, which limits how long I can work.

Try going into the "Options - Preferences... - General" dialog box and clicking on the "Advanced UI/system tweaks".
There is a "scale UI elements of track.. (etc)".    You can put in a multiplier to make things "bigger".  You have to check the box and put in something like 1.25 (125%).  Then restart.

Not sure if it helps but does make it bigger.

REAPER is pretty amazing. Can do just about anything, but you have to dig sometimes and "roll your own".  But the "license" is the old style license dat - so not dongle or challenge response.  Also, you're not paying for bloat bundles.

They even added notation (getting better and better) after users begged for it - can't say the same for other (cough) companies.

Sonar Platinum | Windows 7 64 bit SP1 | Intel i5 3570 3.4GHz | 8GB RAM | Gigabyte GA-B75-D3H | OCZ SSD | RME 9632
Michael.b
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 50
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/11/25 18:43:01 (permalink)
After many, many years of using Sonar, it came to a cross-roads for me many months ago. Suffice to say I became unhappy with both the direction Sonar was moving in and it's performance and decided to make the break.

At the time I tried just about every DAW that offered a trial version and spent some considerable time with each. The last on my list and one I nearly didn't "Bother" with was Reaper, after all how can a DAW costing £45 ($60) be even worth considering against the big-price-tag companies. To my total amazement and disbelief, for me, the absolute winner by a large margin was Reaper. Then I read about Justin Frankel and his mission.

Interestingly, the DAW in last place for me and one I would never get was Cubase, other people might may have different thoughts but this is how it was for me.

It is true to say that Reaper does have a learning curve where things are done differently or different terms for the same things used in Sonar. However, with patience and perseverance and a superb community, I soon became familiar with Reaper's ways and found my enjoyment and trust of using a DAW returning. Reaper is outstanding.

Oh .. I nearly forgot to mention that for the best part of a year I've been using Reaper, it has not crashed, frozen, crackled, failed to render and hasn't audio-dropouted not even once in all that time .. and this is with 8-10 hours continuous use some days.
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/11/25 20:32:00 (permalink)
One more point I realized hadn't been mentioned and that is that REAPER has a FULLY FUNCTIONAL Mac version, and a portion of their user base have been running REAPER on Macs for a few years now. This is not some smoke and mirrors emulation or something. It's a true Mac version that is essentially the very same program as the Windows version.

There is also a native Linux version, but it is limited on things like plugins, although all the plugs it comes with work, and some Windows plugs have been known to function sans-graphics. REAPER has such a light CPU hit, that some folks run it on Linux in WINE, and gain better Windows compatibility, trading for a bit of efficiency.

Glennbo

guitarwiz1
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 47
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/11/25 21:08:13 (permalink)
I just downloaded the trial for Reaper today and I have to say I'm just as confused as I was when I first started using Sonar.
I've only been using Sonar for about a year and I'm still confused on how everything works. I have been getting a lot of help from the forums when needed, and I hope the Reaper forum is just as helpful and friendly.

I don't know what the future holds for the Sonar software, but I'm young enough in my D.A.W experience that the transition shouldn't be too bad.
The price is defiantly right for what I intend to use it for.

Sonar Artist (Latest Version)
Custom Built AMD FX 6300, Windows 10 Home
Gigabyte  990fxa-ud3 MB, WD Blue 1TB HD.
NVIDIA GTX 750ti, 16 gig crucial ballistix sport
Behringer UMC204HD, Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top Pro, Fender Mustang III.
Mosvalve
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1194
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/11/25 21:13:55 (permalink)
What I like most about sonar is how easy it was for me to learn and use. For whatever the reason I found it to be the best DAW for me in this respect. What I haven't liked about it is it's performance. For whatever reason sonar always gave me crashes or pops and crackles when using softsynths and if I had 15 or more plugins with lets say 20 to 30 tracks. I would have  to raise up the buffer as high as it can go. When tracking I still could not track with low buffers like 96 or 128 if I was using softsynths. This has always been the down side for me but i like Sonar so I worked it the best I could.

To be fair, Studio One wasn't much better in performance either. Slightly better but no WOW factor. I chalked it up to my PC not having the power needed to run these programs Efficiently.

So now here we are with this surprising situation of Cakewalk going by by. Sad day for sure. Everyone is searching for a new DAW in case Sonar goes demo on us. Like most here I go searching and I download the Reaper demo. This is what I like about Reaper so far.

The look. I find it very easy on the eye's. I like how you can customize it. I found the learning curve not so hard with the guidance of the videos. Reaper does everything I need a DAW to do so far. I don't care about Melodyn because I never use it. I don't do loops and never installed them in Sonar. I don't do extensive midi editing or clip editing. I never used most of the features in Sonar so I won't miss them in Reaper. I know many here utilize most features in DAW's so you have to choose a DAW the has the features you need.

The best thing to my surprise with Reaper is it's performance. I did a test where I imported 25 audio tracks, 4 softsynths and 58 cpu sucking plugins. The project sample rate is 4800 with a buffer of 96. NOT A SINGLE AUDIO ENGINE DROP OUT, POP, CRACKLE OR CRASH.. I could never achieve this in Sonar. I was amazed. So is it my PC or is the other DAW's that are the reason for bad performance? I don't know and I don't care. I found a DAW that is more than reasonably priced that does what I need it to do and performs very well. I have a good feeling I will start and finish a project without a problem. My fingers are crossed.

I am not giving up Sonar or Studio One but I am sure i won't be using them as much anymore.

BobV 

ASUS Prime Z370-P - Intel Core i7+ 8700K 3.7GHZ 16GB Memory, Intel HD Graphics 630 GPU,  Windows 10 Pro 64bit,  , Sonar Platinum 64bit, Motu 828MK3 Hybrid, Warm Audio TB12 Pre, Warm Audio WA273 Pre, AEA RPQ 500 Pre, Warm Audio WA76 Compressor, Presonus D8 Pre, Tonelux EQ5P 500 Eq, Kush Electra 500 Eq, Lindell PEX 500 Eq, Yamaha 80M monitors with HS10W Sub,  and a bunch of other good stuff. I have a Roland Juno-106 that's looking for a new home. PM me.
papercut
  • Total Posts : 65
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/11/25 21:49:27 (permalink)
michael diemer
My only criticism is that some of the text is too small for my 60+ eyes. Which causes eyestrain, which limits how long I can work. 

I'm also considering Reaper, and I also care a lot about screen readability. I never found Sonar great in this respect. Even themes that were designed to be easy on the eyes had many lines and numbers small enough that I struggled, It is certainly possible I was using the wrong themes.

Anyways, the Reaper forum has a section dedicated to themes, and, from what I've checked out, many of them look fantastic and, to me, more easily readable than the Sonar theme I've been using for a while (don't remember it's name).

Perhaps you haven't seen the newer Reaper themes yet. If so, curious what you think about them.
michael diemer
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/11/25 21:51:16 (permalink)
guitarwiz1
I just downloaded the trial for Reaper today and I have to say I'm just as confused as I was when I first started using Sonar.
I've only been using Sonar for about a year and I'm still confused on how everything works. I have been getting a lot of help from the forums when needed, and I hope the Reaper forum is just as helpful and friendly.

I don't know what the future holds for the Sonar software, but I'm young enough in my D.A.W experience that the transition shouldn't be too bad.
The price is defiantly right for what I intend to use it for.

The Reaper forum is as helpful as this one, and they have quite a user base. They will not let you fail. I could not get how to do routing for midi, and someone worked with me back and forth until it worked. You can do anything with Reaper. In some way it's simpler than Sonar, in other ways more complicated. But if you give it time and ask for help, you will be making music before too long.

michael diemer
32 GB ram
UR22 interface

michael diemer
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/11/25 21:54:29 (permalink)
cityrat
michael diemer
I find Reaper adequate for my needs. My only criticism is that some of the text is too small for my 60+ eyes. Which causes eyestrain, which limits how long I can work.

Try going into the "Options - Preferences... - General" dialog box and clicking on the "Advanced UI/system tweaks".
There is a "scale UI elements of track.. (etc)".    You can put in a multiplier to make things "bigger".  You have to check the box and put in something like 1.25 (125%).  Then restart.

Thanks, I've already done all that. The one thing that won't zoom is the instrument list on the right, in notation (or PRV) view. I've brought it to their attention, hopefully it will be improved at some point.

michael diemer
32 GB ram
UR22 interface

Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/11/25 22:04:06 (permalink)
michael diemerThanks, I've already done all that. The one thing that won't zoom is the instrument list on the right, in notation (or PRV) view. I've brought it to their attention, hopefully it will be improved at some point.

Keep mentioning it. From what I've seen over the years there, as soon as Justin or Schwa catch wind of something that doesn't behave as expected (like a UI element doing something different than others when scaling), they put it on the list of things to fix and actually fix it.  I've seen those guys make changes in less than 24 hours for some things before. They strive to have a quality product and are almost as annoyed as the person reporting a problem.

I frequently see Schwa asking users for more info until he can reproduce, rather than giving them empty promises that they will look into it sometime in the near future. Those guys remind me of old world craftsman, who take pride in creating a quality product.

Glennbo

cityrat
Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 671
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/11/25 22:05:18 (permalink)
michael diemer
Thanks, I've already done all that. The one thing that won't zoom is the instrument list on the right, in notation (or PRV) view. I've brought it to their attention, hopefully it will be improved at some point.

Yeah - I too have older eyes and would like a theme that looks good but larger.  I keep hearing "vector" stuff bantered around but not sure if or when it'll change.

Sonar Platinum | Windows 7 64 bit SP1 | Intel i5 3570 3.4GHz | 8GB RAM | Gigabyte GA-B75-D3H | OCZ SSD | RME 9632
Jari
  • Total Posts : 54
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/11/25 22:10:54 (permalink)
I used Reaper as my second DAW years ago 'til it was time to pay for the next upgrade and by then I was already using Sonar as my main DAW. I demoed its latest version last spring but for my surpise I found it to be a little bit too unstable on my computer. Not sure if it was Superior Drummer or some plugin(s) but it just kept on crashing. So instead of Reaper I bought Cubase Pro because I use Superior Drummer a lot.
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/11/25 22:24:00 (permalink)
Jari
I used Reaper as my second DAW years ago 'til it was time to pay for the next upgrade and by then I was already using Sonar as my main DAW. I demoed its latest version last spring but for my surpise I found it to be a little bit too unstable on my computer. Not sure if it was Superior Drummer or some plugin(s) but it just kept on crashing. So instead of Reaper I bought Cubase Pro because I use Superior Drummer a lot.

I've used Superior Drummer 2 extensively in REAPER from the moment it came out, and before that I was using Drumkit From Hell Superior in REAPER , which was the predecessor to SD2. I do all my mixing in REAPER, bringing individual channels out of Superior onto REAPER's mixer.

Glennbo

Rasure
  • Total Posts : 584
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/11/25 22:55:26 (permalink)
Seriously considering Reaper as a backup DAW, after watching quite a lot of theses videos https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCq297H7Ca98HlB5mVFHGSsQ I`m very impressed with how much the customization possibilities are, even to just about creating channel strips like Sonars Pro Channel (not as graphical, but just as useful) by using a combination of docking and track controls :-)

[ASUS Z97-K 3.30 gigahertz Intel Core i5-4590]
[16 Gig Ram]
[NVIDIA GeForce GTX1050 Ti 1920 X 1080]
[Windows 10 Pro x64]
[Sonar Platinum x64 Lifetime]
[Studio One 4 Pro]
[Notion 6]
[Waves Mercury + Abbey Road & SSL Collection V10]
[Mackie Onyx 400f]

YouTube | 10% Off Waves | Rasuresphere II Omnisphere Library & Midi Stems
Fabio Rubato
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 500
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/11/25 23:12:59 (permalink)
Will Melodyne Studio work in it? 

What about VST3's? 

Sonar: Platinum, (X3e) - x64 
PC: Win10 Pro 64;
Computer: Gigabyte Z68X-UD3R-B3; Intel i7, 2600k @ 4.2 (8 Cores); 16 GB Corsair Ram;
Visual Card: Gigabyte GTX 580;
Audio Interface: RME UFX;
Monitors: Adam A77X, Sub8;
Midi Controllers: Komplete Kontrol S88,  Novation Bass Station 2; NI Maschine Mk 2; 
Other Hardware: Joe Meek Twin Q Dual Studio Channel;
Mics: RODE NT2-A, ASTON Spirit 

Latest Song: Lay Down Before the War

glazfolk
Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5253
Re: Reaper is awsome for a $60 DAW 2017/11/25 23:19:01 (permalink)
The REAPER stash contains scores of alternative themes, including several which look larger, for example, ST or Tonelux ... and there are others.

One thing that does take time to get used to is the extent to which this program and interface can be customised. I switched from Sonar to REAPER some time after Sonar 7 and have never looked back.

Geoff Francis - Huon Delta Studios

AMD Opteron 246 2GHZ twin CPU
Tyan S2875 AVRF Dual M'board
2 Gig RAM, Three Monitors w NVIDIA GeForce FX5700
Alesis iO26, 2 NTFS Seagate HD
DigitalDesign Speakers
Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 10
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1