Helpful ReplySonar Alternatives: Cubase

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 6
Author
Resort Records
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 234
Re: Sonar Alternatives: Cubase 2017/12/03 05:58:54 (permalink)
msorrels
While I've only had Cubase Pro 9.5 now for about a week, I'm pretty sure MIDI VST's work, since I've got Kirnu Cream feeding MIDI to AAS Player without too much trouble.

Kirnu Cream appears to be a VSTi - not a true MIDI VST.  If it were a MIDI VST, I don't believe it would load properly into a Cubase Instrument Track.  But I could be wrong!

David Delbridge
Resort Records Inc
cparmerlee
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1153
Re: Sonar Alternatives: Cubase 2017/12/03 06:39:18 (permalink)
Resort Records
It supports the argument that newer applications will be leaner and more reliable (if perhaps lacking in legacy features), if only because the company is on its first generation of programmers and everyone knows what's what from the ground up.

I don't know.  What I was getting at is that the whole approach to applications is different.  DAWs and other "pioneering" apps are mostly written by hackers.  I don't mean that in a negative way, and I don't mean the criminal context of that term.

I mean hacker, as opposed to a person coding to a well defined spec.  Hackers hack away at a problem and keep improving things until they have something useful.  And even with today's powerful cores, some of these audio algorithms must be extremely tight.  It is amazing to me that it is possible to have 50 or 100 complex plug-ins running with the system still running only 20% busy.  I am amazed at what Melodyne can do.  I am amazed every time I see the Izotope dynamic EQ or a good noise reduction algorithm.  Somebody worked very hard on those algorithms.  There certainly may be plenty of examples of sloppiness, but there is no shortage of examples of very tight code.

DAW: SONAR Platinum Audio I/F: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 gen2
OS: Windows 10 64-bit CPU: Haswell 4790 4.0 GHz, 4 core, 8 thread  Memory: 16 GB      Video: GTX-760Ti
Storage: Sandisk SSD 500GB for active projects. ReadyNAS 20 TB for long-term storage

sonocrafters.com
abacab
Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4464
Re: Sonar Alternatives: Cubase 2017/12/03 15:01:44 (permalink)
Resort Records

It supports the argument that newer applications will be leaner and more reliable (if perhaps lacking in legacy features), if only because the company is on its first generation of programmers and everyone knows what's what from the ground up.

I'll buy that argument.  I keep thinking of popular Sonar feature requests that Cakewalk was dragging their feet on implementing.  Probably too much legacy code that nobody today knows anything about, and the risk involved of breaking something with a change.

They killed Project5 for various reasons, but I believe one was that the the original programmer had left the company.  That should have been updated to multi-thread and released as 64-bit.

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
abacab
Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4464
Re: Sonar Alternatives: Cubase 2017/12/03 15:21:13 (permalink)
Resort Records

I agree.  If you look at phone apps, for example, UIs have gotten so polished and efficient.  And standardized - everyone knows how to operate most any phone app without any real education.  With a few exceptions, you know what the app is supposed to do, the controls get right to the point, and it works.  Well, usually. 

That's why Cubase drives me nuts.  Generally, the engine is powerful.  Now, if they would just adhere to modern UI design standards, rather than going maverick at every opportunity, the program would be so much more accessible.  [For example, they could start by moving most of the Devices menu under Preferences, where those things belong.]  As others have said, it's like they're trying to trip us up or something.

When I started out with computers, the only UIs were keyboard and teletype printer, no CRTs yet!  And we punched programs into paper cards or tape.

Everybody knew what a carriage return key was used for, as well as an alphanumeric keyboard.  The typewriter metaphor was familiar since the first commercial typewriters were introduced in 1874.

Things have certainly changed for the better, and I would never go back, LOL!!!

The success of the Apple and Android devices really does say a lot about the effectiveness of UI design, beyond the fact that they are portable pocket computers that can go anywhere.

Regarding DAWs specifically, most could use some improved focus on UI design.  Having a universal design for a DAW GUI would probably be impossible to achieve, unless the leading DAW on the market was designed by an open source standards team, that had the backing of a large company to really study the problem. 

Then maybe everyone else would choose to copy them, like the mobile device market.  But since the DAW market is so much smaller than the mobile device market, it's probably just a dream! 

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
AllanH
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 406
Re: Sonar Alternatives: Cubase 2017/12/03 15:38:47 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Mitch_I 2017/12/03 16:38:58
I spent the better part of 6 hours moving my first project from Sonar plat to Cubase 9.5 pro. I exported the midi and essentially created a Cubase template with all my base instruments. Did all routing, color coding etc and google'd extensively. It's probably in Cubase, but I miss the "Smart" mode in the PRV with all the elegant CTRL+SHIFT/ALT/ click/drag options.

Two interesting observations: Cubase runs the same project with only 2/3's of the memory and far less CPU load. It also sounds clearer in Cubase. Not sure why, as I use no native Cubase or Cakewalk effects (it's all Izotope).
I will audit the memory usage again today and maybe I forgot to move something or load an unused articulation.

BTW, the project also sounded better without Izotope Neutron2 "all over the place", so it was an interesting day.

I will eventually consider Cubase an upgrade, is my guess.

Sonar Platinum, EWHO/D, Spitfire, Miroslav, Pianoteq, ....,  Kurzweil.
sharke
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13933
Re: Sonar Alternatives: Cubase 2017/12/03 16:09:51 (permalink)
abacab
Resort Records

I'll buy that argument.  I keep thinking of popular Sonar feature requests that Cakewalk was dragging their feet on implementing.  Probably too much legacy code that nobody today knows anything about, and the risk involved of breaking something with a change.

They killed Project5 for various reasons, but I believe one was that the the original programmer had left the company.  That should have been updated to multi-thread and released as 64-bit.

I remember a few years ago reporting a bug on the forum in which Sonar's arpeggiator could not have its on/off switch controlled by automation unless the track in question was in focus, and another similar issue in which I think you could not automate the on/off switch of a ProChannel module unless that particular ProChannel was open in the console. Seemed like pretty straightforward bugs which (to the layperson) would be a relatively easy fix. But someone from Cakewalk chimed into the thread to say that they were aware of the problem but that they had no intention of fixing it, because to do so would break other areas of the problem. That to me was a pretty obvious case of legacy code/structure presenting itself as an obstacle to new development. If Sonar had been a young program with a fresh code base, you cannot imagine bugs like this being so impenetrable that the developers give up on them. I can imagine the Bakers having to deal with legacy code that was, after all, not designed with Sonar 2017 in mind, and was not necessarily the ideal kind of code that you'd write if you wanted your app to remain 100% future proof. This probably leads to all kind of workarounds, hacks and Band Aids in the code to make newer stuff play nice with older stuff. Maybe they had to repackage old code in wrappers to make it comply with Sonar's modern architecture. Maybe the code has dependencies on old, long forgotten libraries which went out of development years ago and which have bugs of their own. 

While there are probably parts of that code that are 100% rock solid and could not be improved upon if you tried (i.e. code that dealt with pure logic rather than GUI's or hardware or DSP), I should imagine that there are many legacy parts of any 30 year old app that could benefit from a complete rewrite. But that's where development budgets come in - perhaps it would have been just too expensive to "renovate" Sonar to that degree. 

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
Resonant Serpent
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 463
Re: Sonar Alternatives: Cubase 2017/12/04 04:43:58 (permalink)
sharke
tenfoot
Thanks for the great summary David! 

One of my concerns with Cubase is that it may suffer the same legacy of decades of layered code, updates and convoluted behaviour that plagued Sonar. I was used to its quirks and they were never be enough to drive me away. Now that I have to change, I really want to strike that balance between deep features and young and snappy. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated!

This is a concern of mine as well as I select a new DAW. Sonar had a ton of really hard to pin down bugs and quirks that I'm convinced were caused by legacy code and new code not getting along.  Legacy code wasn't necessarily written to be future proof, and I can't imagine developers enjoy reverse engineering code that perhaps isn't documented sufficiently. Apart from anything it's a drain on resources. 

Many of Sonar's oddities were impossible to reproduce with a recipe, which meant that unless the Bakers had an "a-ha!" moment of enlightenment, the chances of them being fixed were small. I must have brought up dozens of issues on the beta forum that never ended up as bug reports because they could not be reproduced at will. Sometimes I would attach projects along with a bug report, in the hope that the project would demonstrate the behavior even if I couldn't come up with the steps. Oftentimes I would hear back "we're not seeing this at our end," which suggests that some bugs were peculiar to specific machines or installations - even harder to track down. A couple of times I heard "we're aware of this but we're not going to fix it because to do so would break another part of the program" (in discussions in the public forum no less) which again suggests a problem caused by legacy code that would have taken too long to get to the bottom of - the Bakers obviously had to manage their project resources frugally and taking the engine apart to find something that was more of an annoyance than a showstopper was probably deemed to be an inefficient use of their budget. So, many of the annoyances stayed across versions without any hope of a fix. 

An example of this is that 3 years ago I reported a problem with automation envelopes becoming misaligned when looping a section. A horrible problem which means that you cannot always rely on your automation playing accurately when a loop is enabled. The bug was never fixed, and looping in general has a ton of related problems in Sonar. I suspect that the looping code is an example of the core legacy code which made problems so hard to pin down. Some of the program probably needed a rewrite but they didn't have the budget to do this alongside the pressure to add new features and the like. 

So one of my main attractions with switching DAW's is to start with a fresh young program that has a modern, coherent code base. That's why I'm looking at Bitwig and S1. I know that Cubase is probably one of the most powerful, feature rich DAWs in comparison with Sonar, but when I think about it I didn't use half of Sonar's features. Do I really want a bunch of functionality that I'll rarely need, at the expense of potentially dealing with a set of hard to fix, hard-baked bugs in ancient code? 

I think it's unfair to compare Sonar to Cubase. Cubase had been completely re-written for SX1 in 2002. Then that code was mostly re-written when Cubase 4 was released in 2006. That cycle was completed in Cubase 7, in 2012. The original Cubase re-design allowed for modular updating of the code. That's why Nuendo and Cubase have the same audio core, but different external functionality. Some of the code in Sonar Platinum came all the way from the first version of Cakewalk. Having used both programs extensively, Cubase is completely stable, and has far less quirks than Sonar. Their development team has done a great job of squashing bugs in the last few versions. Even S1 is having a problem with automation that they haven't been able to solve in several updates. 

A deep chesty bawl echoes from rimrock to rimrock, rolls down the mountain, and fades into the far blackness of the night. It is an outburst of wild defiant sorrow, and of contempt for all the adversities of the world. - Aldo Leopold
M@
  • Total Posts : 221
Re: Sonar Alternatives: Cubase 2017/12/04 10:11:05 (permalink)
THambrecht
Our problem was to find a DAW that has all audio features like SONAR or better, becaue we have to work with thousends of tapes and have them to restore. Therefore we bought now Cubase 9.5.

Have you by any chance looked at Pyramix from Merging Technologies?
I am not familiar with it but believe it is highly reliable. Further I am not sure about the hardware requirements for using the software...... you mentioned you are in need to change PC's as well ?

http://www.merging.com/products/pyramix/key-features

Tracking: Sonar Platinum (X3 Producer, X2 studio, X1 expanded, 8.3) (64bit)
System: Win10 Pro (64bit), Asus  P8Z77 V Le Plus, I7-3770k, 16GB Ram, SSD System drive, Raid1 Recording & Backup drive, VS-700 Set, TC Konnekt 48
Instruments: Roland Juno Stage, Kawai CA5, Washburn X50Pro, Blackstar-One100, Merida,...
raisindot
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 96
Re: Sonar Alternatives: Cubase 2017/12/04 14:12:13 (permalink)
I started the 30 day demo of Cubase 9.5 (Don't even get me started on how stupid the e-licenser thing is. HATE IT!!!!!!!!!). I decided that if I do switch Cubase is the one I'll go to because I primarily build compositions in MIDI and then output audio tracks from my sound modules and VSTs. 

I find the interface absolutely inscrutable. For example, if took me forever to figure out how to get my audio interface to be an output (instead of the stupid generic ASIO driver thing). When you have to look up online help for something as simple as this, trouble is a'comin'. 

But.....I'm willing to give it a closer look. One question i had based on the original post is he said the legacy MID VST programs won't work with Cubase? Does that mean that all of this many VST plugins I have, from Dimension Pro to Lounge Lizard to Arturia Keyboard V, won't work in a MIDI situation with Cubase? That would be a total deal-killer. 

Bonjo
  • Total Posts : 205
Re: Sonar Alternatives: Cubase 2017/12/04 14:33:14 (permalink)
It's actually coming across as quite interesting how people are finding the complexities of other DAWs now that (in a sense), we have to. And yet, many (myself included), are somewhat blinded to how deep Sonar actually is/and can be. Coming from a 2-track tape-recorder in the 1960s to Sonar approx 2011. The sheer depth (now 2017), of what can be achieved inside a computer is mind-boggling. I honestly can't believe that Sonar will die. There are too many smart cookies out there who know they can make money (the primary objective), to let a solid customer base, as is Cakewalk, totally go to the wall. As others have said much more eloquently than me, I wouldn't rush anywhere just now, esp if Splat etc is solid.

Win10 64-bit. Intel i7QuadCore 4.20GHz. 32Gb Ram. Sonar Platinum.

msorrels
Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1025
Re: Sonar Alternatives: Cubase 2017/12/04 19:01:21 (permalink)
Cubase 9.5 has no support for 32bit plugins.  If you want to use any 32bit plugins you'll have to get jBridge or something else.

The MIDI VST thing is more complex.  Here's what I've been able to put together (and I'll admit I may be missing something here, people talk about things like plugin APIs but they clearly have no clue what they are saying, I write code for a living so I tend to be really picky about details):
1.  VSTi instruments that generate MIDI work just fine in Cubase 9.5.  They work/it works just like SONAR Platinum.

2.  Long, long ago Cakewalk came up with a MIDI plugin format, MFX.  This was pre-64 bit DAWs.  A number of MIDI plugins were made for it.  At that time Cubase wrote an adapter so you could use those 32-bit MFX plugins in Cubase SX.  But this was only 32-bit.  And was never officially supported.  With Cubase 9.5 not having ANY 32-bit support, it's dead.  And a 64-bit version of the MFX wrapper was never made.  So while there are 64-bit MFX plugins (which SONAR platinum uses -- it doesn't do 32-bit MFX any more either) none of those work in Cubase.  Here's the link to the adapter, but it's 32-bit only and doesn't work in Cubase 9.5
https://www.steinberg.net/en/support/knowledgebase_new/show_details/kb_show/using-mfx-plug-ins-in-cubase-nuendo-pc-windows/kb_back/2020.html

3.  Cubase has its own MIDI VST plugin format called, VST-MA.  There are actually commercial plugins written that use it.  Frank's MIDI plugins come in MFX and VST-MA format for example.  It's not a secret, it is documented.  But few/no other DAWs ever added support for it, so people seem to see it as something less.  Even though Cubase comes with a bunch of plugins that use it.  It is what is necessary for a plugin to show up in Cubase's MIDI insert menu.  No MIDI generating VSTi instruments will show up in the MIDI insert menu.

So what does this mean?  Saying Cubase doesn't support MIDI VST isn't true at all really (VST-MA is MIDI VST).  Cubase 9.5 works pretty much exactly like SONAR Platinum does as far as what most users would call MIDI plugin support.  Soft synths that generate and process MIDI work just fine, you can route their input and outputs all day and night, just like in SONAR. 

The "real" complaint seems to be that there is no way to insert a VSTi that generates/processes MIDI into the MIDI insert on tracks in Cubase.  Just like you couldn't insert a VSTi that generates/processes MIDI into the MIDI FX channel in SONAR.  Some people want this and keep talking about MIDI VST support like it was a real thing that somehow Cubase is missing.

While I can't use (for example) any of the tencrazy.com MFX plugins in Cubase, every single VSTi that generates and processes MIDI appear to work exactly like they did in SONAR.  And in theory I could develop my own VST-MA plugins and they would show up in the MIDI insert list in Cubase.  Frank's MIDI plugins do and they work fine.

So I think this is not a real thing.  Cubase does support MIDI VST plugins, just not some sort of bizarre hybrid that would let you use a VSTi (like say Kirnu Cream) without having to have extra tracks/etc.  I don't think any DAW does this treat a VSTi as a MIDI effect trick, though I don't think it's impossible.

-Matt

Blogospherianman
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 126
Re: Sonar Alternatives: Cubase 2017/12/04 19:39:46 (permalink)
My biggest complaint with Cubase Pro has to do with the quantizing function, specifically the swing %. With Swing at 0% the beat is straight, at 100% the beat is swung as a perfect quarter note eighth note pattern.... The problem is the lack of ability to Over-swing where the second note goes more than 2/3 of the way to one following. This is used primarily for Jazz ride cymbals and also for EDM. In Sonar, 50% swing represents Straight eighths, 66% is a perfect swing (same as cubase 100%), going up towards 100% in Sonar will actually get the second note all the way up to the third note, as Over-swung as you want. (Try 68%-70 swing on a jazz swing song and see what I mean) In Sonar, values below 50% will under swing, giving a slight rushing of the second note. I have used over- swinging and underswinging on countless songs and find that function very valuable. Go figure the first beat I put down in Cubase Pro was a shuffle and I was saddened to not be able to over swing it!! 😞

My second biggest complaint is seeing quite a few of my 64 bit plugins blacklisted in the plugin manager and not letting me restore them.

That's just my first impressions. I need a program the Really Swings!!

Really appreciating what I have in Sonar! (keeping hope!)
Resort Records
Re: Sonar Alternatives: Cubase 2017/12/04 21:17:53 (permalink)
raisindot
I decided that if I do switch Cubase is the one I'll go to because I primarily build compositions in MIDI and then output audio tracks from my sound modules and VSTs. 

Exactly my workflow too.

Tip:  The GUI MIDI Device Manager does not work for adding devices.  It's another known bug that's gone unrepaired for years.  If you have to add a MIDI sound module that isn't already among the Cubase defaults, you'll want to create a "patch script" (.txt file).  Look in C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\Cubase 9_64\Scripts\Patchnames\inactive (for example) and copy one of the supplied files and modify it to suit.  Check out the script documentation.txt file for help.  Restart Cubase and the device should appear in the appropriate list.  BTW, these files can also be found in C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Cubase 9\Scripts\Patchnames\inactive, but it appears to be a backup - changes made there won't appear in the program.

raisindot
I find the interface absolutely inscrutable. For example, if took me forever to figure out how to get my audio interface to be an output (instead of the stupid generic ASIO driver thing). When you have to look up online help for something as simple as this, trouble is a'comin'. 

Yup.  And I'm sorry to say it doesn't get better 'til you've worked through every nuance of your routine, learning the Cubase way and optimizing settings to your workflow.  Then, it becomes apparent that Cubase can do pretty much anything you throw at it, so long as you have the time and patience to figure it (and the various workarounds) out.

raisindot
One question i had based on the original post is he said the legacy MID VST programs won't work with Cubase? Does that mean that all of this many VST plugins I have, from Dimension Pro to Lounge Lizard to Arturia Keyboard V, won't work in a MIDI situation with Cubase? That would be a total deal-killer. 

To repeat what Matt said, those are VSTis (VST Instruments) and should work just fine, so long as they're 64-bit.  DXi is not supported, so Sonar users should expect to see a handful of Sonar-bundled plugins disappear.  Others, like the Blue Tubes collection, appear to be earmarked for Sonar and also will not load into Cubase (or any other DAW).

msorrels
The MIDI VST thing is more complex.  Here's what I've been able to put together....

Excellent summary of the situation!  Thank you, Matt.

msorrels
The "real" complaint seems to be that there is no way to insert a VSTi that generates/processes MIDI into the MIDI insert on tracks in Cubase.  Just like you couldn't insert a VSTi that generates/processes MIDI into the MIDI FX channel in SONAR.  Some people want this and keep talking about MIDI VST support like it was a real thing that somehow Cubase is missing.

Personally, I just want to load the Piz MIDI plugin collection and other (presumably MFX?) MIDI VSTs into Cubase's MIDI Inserts.  If everything you've discovered re MFX vs. VST-MA is accurate, then I'm guilty of assuming MFX to be the 'open standard' while Steinberg's MIDI Inserts are more-or-less proprietary.  I guess that's wrong and we're just stuck with an unfortunate VHS vs. Betamax situation.  Yeah, we need an MFX-to-VST-MA wrapper.

BTW, one of the other workarounds I've seen discussed is MIDI port piping applications (e.g., MIDI Yoke) that allow for standalone applications (e.g., MIDI-Ox) to process MIDI data on the fly.  This gets pretty complicated and I'll confess I haven't had the guts to try it on my mission-critical workstation yet, but it's an option for anyone desperate to add CAL-style scripting to Cubase, for example.

David Delbridge
Resort Records Inc
sharke
Re: Sonar Alternatives: Cubase 2017/12/05 08:05:23 (permalink)
Blogospherianman
My biggest complaint with Cubase Pro has to do with the quantizing function, specifically the swing %. With Swing at 0% the beat is straight, at 100% the beat is swung as a perfect quarter note eighth note pattern.... The problem is the lack of ability to Over-swing where the second note goes more than 2/3 of the way to one following. This is used primarily for Jazz ride cymbals and also for EDM. In Sonar, 50% swing represents Straight eighths, 66% is a perfect swing (same as cubase 100%), going up towards 100% in Sonar will actually get the second note all the way up to the third note, as Over-swung as you want. (Try 68%-70 swing on a jazz swing song and see what I mean) In Sonar, values below 50% will under swing, giving a slight rushing of the second note. I have used over- swinging and underswinging on countless songs and find that function very valuable. Go figure the first beat I put down in Cubase Pro was a shuffle and I was saddened to not be able to over swing it!! 😞

My second biggest complaint is seeing quite a few of my 64 bit plugins blacklisted in the plugin manager and not letting me restore them.

Now admittedly I'm tired and not that bright to begin with and therefore I'm probably talking through my hat, but wouldn't a viable workaround to be to reverse the clip, apply the "mirror image" of the swing amount you want, and then reverse it back? 

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
bartveld
  • Total Posts : 70
Re: Sonar Alternatives: Cubase 2017/12/05 09:08:54 (permalink)
I've spent a week now methodically reading the 1000+ page manual, trying out many things I read. Meanwhile I set up a few projects, imported some stuff from Sonar and generally tried to get a feel for the program. I think I plunged into Cakewalk head on, many years ago, and never fathomed the depth of the software. Now at least I want to see all the possibilities, whether I'll use them or not.
So far, I've been able to get what I want from Cubase and the learning curve isn't too bad. I think the problem is more to let all the procedures sink in and become second nature. And, admittedly, Cubase doesn't really help with some weird UI choices, although I'm not really sure whether they're weird or simply different from Sonar.
In a sense this turns out to be an opportunity. I've never studied Cakewalk in-depth, as I was still learning about audio and midi. Getting results had priority, no matter how roundabout the way. And those ways turned into common practice. Now I'm forced to study the DAW and as long as Sonar works, I've got time on my hands.
Cat Cave
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 15
Re: Sonar Alternatives: Cubase 2017/12/05 12:24:00 (permalink)
My short experience, 2 hours, with Cubase pro is positive.
Biggest hazzle so far was the activation.  
Audio and midi setup was a walk in the park. Plug 'n' play sort of.
It's hard to navigate but it'll come. 
Cheers!

i7 4790, 3.6GHz, 16Gb RAM, Win 10 Pro.
Roland Quad Capture UA-55.
Sonar Platinum.
Works like a charm.
ooblecaboodle
Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2102
Re: Sonar Alternatives: Cubase 2017/12/05 13:34:23 (permalink)
Resort Records
The Good:
  • Strong MIDI support.  Cubase began as a MIDI sequencer in the 80s and, consequently, has thorough MIDI support. 
The Bad:
    Audio takes.  By default, overlapping audio takes in a single Cubase track mask previous takes.  By contrast, Sonar will play overlapping takes.
Good information, thanks for sharing. Just two little points though, Sonar also started out as a MIDI only sequencer in the 80s, not important, just thought I'd mention it.

I always thought Sonar's handling of audio takes was the dumbest thing ever. The occurrences of me wanting clips piled on top of each other to play at the same time are vanishingly rare, and it always caused much time wasting when copy/pasting or dragging a clip to somewhere else, where I had to go in and remove the underlying pre-existing audio after. Add that to it's awful xfade editing, and it was a complete chore to edit audio. It didn't really matter what you set your drag and drop options to, there were always occasions when it did something you didn't want. Track lanes were just horribly broken.

I edit audio day-in day-out, and my chosen platform is an audio-only editor (I used Sonar for MIDI sequencing and occasional mixing, it had some REALLY neat features in the mixer, and when I sadly, really need to use audiosnap on dodgy musicians). I've yet to find any combined sequencer-based "DAW" that gets editing right, the first one I see that does will be where I put my money to move away from Sonar now that it's gone.

However, Sonar got it's MIDI editing pretty damned good. I always end up with a brain aneurysm when I have to work in Reason's sequencer, it's a complete and utter PITA since some refresh several versions ago. I believe Cubase used to work on a very similar workflow to Reason (didn't Steinberg interfere with Reason's design or something?), where you have to create clips first before putting anything in them, and all the weird copy/paste drag/drop, how fluid is its MIDI editing now?

Also, a BIG show-stopping issue for me...
How easy is it to export individual audio files from start to finish, for each track? Sonar does this magnificently, some other DAWs seem to believe they exist in their own little world where nobody using any other software will ever collaborate with its users. Project (or at least project data, including rendering softsyths) interchange is an absolute must for me.
denverdrummer
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 278
Re: Sonar Alternatives: Cubase 2017/12/05 18:10:17 (permalink)
Been working in 9.5 for nearly two weeks now.  Once you get past some of the workflow differences, I'm really liking what's there.  The biggest plus for me is that there is a real console strip in Cubase, that can work alot like ProChannel did.  The control room stuff is really cool too.  I'm trying to use that setup with my XR-18 live mixer, because I have way more I/O on that, than my focusrite, and I have an in-ear rig setup in my studio with a 6 port headphone amp.

Still on the learning curve with this thing.  I just have been watching a ton of youtube videos trying to soak up as much as I can, and going through and remixing old Sonar projects.  I've really been happy with it though.  They've made some great adjustments since I last used Cubase which was ver. 5.

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Dell Inspiron 15, core i7, 16GB RAM, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mackie MR5 Mark 1 speakers
Mitch_I
  • Total Posts : 212
Re: Sonar Alternatives: Cubase 2017/12/05 19:34:46 (permalink)
bartveld
I've spent a week now methodically reading the 1000+ page manual, trying out many things I read. Meanwhile I set up a few projects,

I think that's a great method. The trouble is that the Cubase operation manual is long on description and short on procedures. To fill this gap, I've ordered The Complete Guide to Music Technology Using Cubase 9 from lulu.com.
sharke
Re: Sonar Alternatives: Cubase 2017/12/05 19:42:04 (permalink)
Don't forget Groove3 as well - I've not looked at their Cubase tutorials but the ones I've watched have always been excellent. 

James
anydmusic
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 251
Re: Sonar Alternatives: Cubase 2017/12/05 20:05:35 (permalink)
As someone who skipped versions a few times in Sonar my experience of Cubase is similar; I keep having to read the manual.

Just seen their equivalent of StudioWare, anyone else here remember when we could create them? 

Only had it installed for a few days but have to say it looks good, just need to make some time to read the manual, watch videos and start using it properly.

Graham
Windows 10 64 bit - Intel i7-4790, 16GB, 2 x 256GB SSD
Cubase 9.5
Sonar Platinum (Rapture Pro, Z3TA 2, CA2A, plus some other bits)
Delta 24/96, UAD 1, UA25 EX, 2 x MidiSport,
IKMultiMedia - (SampleTank 3, Miroslav 2, Syntronik, TRacks 5, Modo Bass), Band In A Box, Sound Quest, VS Pro, Kinetic, Acid, Sound Forge, Jammer
Waves MaxxVolume, IR 1, Aphex Enhancer, Abbey Plates
Korg Legacy, VStation, Bass Station
Joe_A
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 458
Re: Sonar Alternatives: Cubase 2017/12/05 20:20:28 (permalink)
sharke
Blogospherianman

Now admittedly I'm tired and not that bright to begin with and therefore I'm probably talking through my hat, but wouldn't a viable workaround to be to reverse the clip, apply the "mirror image" of the swing amount you want, and then reverse it back? 

Hey, that sounds like a great idea! I don't know if it will work, mind you, but good idea...

jambrose@cfl.rr.com  Sonar Plat. Lifetime. Started in Sonar 4, each through 8.5.3PE.
Scarlett 18i202nd gen., Edirol FA-101, M-Audio Firewire 410, AMD Phenom II 1045T six core processor, 8GB DDR3, AMD Radeon HD 6450, dual displays, 1.5 TB SATA HD, USB 2, Firewire 1394A, 1394B, 18/22 mixer, EV Q-66, Yamaha HS50M monitors, few guitars, Fender Cybertwin SE, Fender Cyber foot controller, Boss RC20-XL, misc pedals, etc. Win Home Prem 64 bit.
Blogospherianman
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 126
Re: Sonar Alternatives: Cubase 2017/12/05 21:04:02 (permalink)
That would work on the under swung (negative swing that is) down to about what cakewalk quantize swing would be set at 34%. It wouldn't help in the case of over-swinging. I have since come up with an ok workaround though. I can make a two bar clip of eighth or sixteenth notes (dependeing on which value I want swung) in sonar, then quantize multiple versions of those clips to varying degrees of swing (1%-100%), then import the different clips into Cubase and drag them into the quantize and use the clip(s) to make a groove quantize, which can then be saved into the quantize presets for later use.

Appreciate ya chiming in Sharke with a very good idea though! I will use that sometime for the negative swing! 👍😄
JClosed
Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 690
Re: Sonar Alternatives: Cubase 2017/12/05 23:48:02 (permalink)
sharke
Don't forget Groove3 as well - I've not looked at their Cubase tutorials but the ones I've watched have always been excellent. 

MacProVideo has some nice starter tutorials too. Granted - They are for version 9.0 and older, but they are still very usable. Steinberg has it's own Cubase YouTube channel too.

Take a look here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcQBdibdDxH2ngu3kNPYOEA/playlists

And for a little demonstration what you can do even with Cubase Elements (using the standard plugin stuff that's in Elements), this is an entertaining (so don't take it that seriously) simple song build.
Take a look: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQyrrWyy57E&index=1&list=PLeAGmrQnjblaWk9pjSNmSbB5uc3r_T-bG

All in all some nice stuff...
Resort Records
Re: Sonar Alternatives: Cubase 2017/12/06 00:50:09 (permalink)
Cat Cave
Audio and midi setup was a walk in the park. Plug 'n' play sort of.

Huh.  I was a bit intimidated by the VST Connections panel (partly because I didn't understand what "VST" had to do with my sound card).  It made me uncomfortable to think I didn't know what was going on.  That said, like yourself, I got basic audio working without too much thought.  But, I didn't really understand the VST Connections panel until I went back a few weeks later and setup the Control Room.  Again, this was a little intimidating because it dove even deeper into the VST Connections panel and required that I permanently earmark hardware ports to various functions (and redo what I had initially setup).  It took some reading and YouTube videos, but it's working nicely now and I understand it.  As I said initially, the Control Room is one of my favorite features - great if you have multiple speaker configs, headphone outs, etc.

ooblecaboodle
I always thought Sonar's handling of audio takes was the dumbest thing ever. The occurrences of me wanting clips piled on top of each other to play at the same time are vanishingly rare, and it always caused much time wasting when copy/pasting or dragging a clip to somewhere else, where I had to go in and remove the underlying pre-existing audio after. Add that to it's awful xfade editing, and it was a complete chore to edit audio. It didn't really matter what you set your drag and drop options to, there were always occasions when it did something you didn't want. Track lanes were just horribly broken.

That's interesting.  I typically loop-record takes with a half measure before and after, so the clips can begin and end naturally and can be copy/pasted without worrying about crossfades (usually).  Sometimes, I'll have to add a fade-in or fade-out to a clip, but then it's done - no need to worry about crossfades when I replicate the clip throughout the song.  Cubase cripples this workflow.  Fortunately, Cubase allows users to store custom crossfades, so it's only a few extra clicks to apply my 'no crossfade' crossfade to clips.

Ideally, we could choose the behavior in Preferences.

ooblecaboodle
How easy is it to export individual audio files from start to finish, for each track? Sonar does this magnificently, some other DAWs seem to believe they exist in their own little world where nobody using any other software will ever collaborate with its users. Project (or at least project data, including rendering softsyths) interchange is an absolute must for me.

Recording stems (wet) is pretty easy to do and is part of my routine archival strategy too.  Here's the steps:
  1. Cubase > File > Export > Audio Mixdown…
  2. Enable Channel Batch Export (checkbox)
  3. Select all audio channels, group channels, fx channels, and any active output channels you want to render
  4. Press the Naming Scheme... button to automate naming of your rendered files.  Naming Schemes can be saved and recalled.
Cubase's export options are a bit more robust than Sonar's.  In addition to all the file formatting options, you can downmix and split channels.  If you haven't recorded all of your outboard MIDI instruments to audio tracks yet, you can enable Real-Time Export and get the equivalent result.

I seem to recall Sonar offering the option to export tracks dry.  Unfortunately, I don't see this option in Cubase.

Another thing that might help you exchange projects with other studios is Cubase's Track Archives.  I forget the standard these are based on, but these XML files come close to a universal DAW import/export file format.  How many DAWs read them?  I don't know.  There's a chart somewhere.  The files contain pretty much everything you would expect from a proprietary channel import/export format - fader settings, EQ settings, plugins, sends, colors, etc.  Might be better than stems.

bartveld
I've spent a week now methodically reading the 1000+ page manual, trying out many things I read. Meanwhile I set up a few projects....

Kudos to you!  Perhaps if I had tried this approach, my initiation would've been easier.  Well, "easier."

Mitch_I
I've ordered The Complete Guide to Music Technology Using Cubase 9 from lulu.com.

Wait, what?  There's a Cubase 9 book?!

Thank you!

David Delbridge
Resort Records Inc
raisindot
  • Total Posts : 96
Re: Sonar Alternatives: Cubase 2017/12/06 16:03:03 (permalink)
After being baffled at first after installing the Cubase demo, I'm beginning to like it. 

One question, however: Can anyone tell me whether Cubase has a n "Event Filter" feature to Sonar's? I've seen the Event List, which is great, but I really love the Event Filter as a way to make universal changes to a MIDI track (such as replacing all occurrences of a note with another, a boon for rhythm track editing). I know you can do similar things in the piano roll view, but I really like Sonar's search and replace feature much better. 

Does anyone know whether Cubase does this? I've looked everywhere on their help site for "Event Filter" but all it seems to say is that this feature just determines what will be shown on a particular Event view. 

Thanks!
ooblecaboodle
Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2102
Re: Sonar Alternatives: Cubase 2017/12/06 16:06:52 (permalink)
Resort Records
ooblecaboodle
I always thought Sonar's handling of audio takes was the dumbest thing ever. The occurrences of me wanting clips piled on top of each other to play at the same time are vanishingly rare, and it always caused much time wasting when copy/pasting or dragging a clip to somewhere else, where I had to go in and remove the underlying pre-existing audio after. Add that to it's awful xfade editing, and it was a complete chore to edit audio...

That's interesting.  I typically loop-record takes with a half measure before and after, so the clips can begin and end naturally and can be copy/pasted without worrying about crossfades (usually).  Sometimes, I'll have to add a fade-in or fade-out to a clip, but then it's done - no need to worry about crossfades when I replicate the clip throughout the song.  Cubase cripples this workflow.  Fortunately, Cubase allows users to store custom crossfades, so it's only a few extra clicks to apply my 'no crossfade' crossfade to clips.

I take issue with the audio editing in Sonar, and your solution is (as I understand it) to not bother. It's worth bearing in mind that it's highly unlikely that any clip will begin at a zero crossing, so some kind of pop or click is inevitable, unless your DAW is doing "something" that you didn't tell it to do, to your audio clips.
As for recording half a bar in/out, what about the little fret noises, breathing, people clearing their throat and so on that happen before a take? You can't just leave it there, it needs to be edited, to be cleaned up.

I seem to recall Sonar offering the option to export tracks dry.  Unfortunately, I don't see this option in Cubase.

Then that's a big no-no. I need to be able to give out raw multitracks, and expect to receive raw multitracks. Extra steps such as removing all plugins and so forth just isn't tolerable. I'm not wasting my client's time, or mine, with unecessary extra steps.

So, Cubase isn't an option. Nevermind, still plenty to go.
bartveld
  • Total Posts : 70
Re: Sonar Alternatives: Cubase 2017/12/06 17:16:23 (permalink)
Mitch_I
bartveld
I've spent a week now methodically reading the 1000+ page manual, trying out many things I read. Meanwhile I set up a few projects,

I think that's a great method. The trouble is that the Cubase operation manual is long on description and short on procedures. To fill this gap, I've ordered The Complete Guide to Music Technology Using Cubase 9 from lulu.com.

Short on procedure, that's true. But at least it gives you some pointers and I find that figuring things out myself (and not slavishly following a description of a procedure) usually makes it stick better in memory.

astaub
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 46
Re: Sonar Alternatives: Cubase 2017/12/06 18:19:55 (permalink)
"Then that's a big no-no. I need to be able to give out raw multitracks, and expect to receive raw multitracks."

Remarks please, Steinberg is not like Cakewalk, there you can found more different specialised Software Modules.

If you work longer with Cubase, then you can handle alone within your Homestudio, or then with very good Companions like WaveLab (  .raw files with different PCM supported https://steinberg.help/wa...ed_file_formats_c.html ).  Both Software works together ease (see this youtube demo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15rmxGg9rxo&list=PLKgGKF-FSsJ_H-HEYgHJLnbovOoU226mz

You can also found for Gaming or Orchestral Surround Design etc. compatible big Brother of Cubase named Nuendo. 

you can found interesting DAW comparison Tables (Dec. 2016) there on wikipedia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_digital_audio_editors

Cakewalk Sonar Platinum (Lifetime), Cakewalk by BandLab (Beta), Steinberg UR28M, Windows 8.1 , Notion 6 (Presonus), Dorico 1.2x (Steinberg), Cubase 9.5.x Pro. , Studio One 3.5x (Presonus),  WaveLab Pro 9.5.x (Steinberg) Halion 6.x 
Resort Records
Re: Sonar Alternatives: Cubase 2017/12/06 18:41:00 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby raisindot 2017/12/06 20:11:52
raisindot
One question, however: Can anyone tell me whether Cubase has a n "Event Filter" feature to Sonar's? I've seen the Event List, which is great, but I really love the Event Filter as a way to make universal changes to a MIDI track (such as replacing all occurrences of a note with another, a boon for rhythm track editing). I know you can do similar things in the piano roll view, but I really like Sonar's search and replace feature much better. 

Does anyone know whether Cubase does this? I've looked everywhere on their help site for "Event Filter" but all it seems to say is that this feature just determines what will be shown on a particular Event view. 

This is a nice example of the documentation troubles I described in my original post.  Yes, Cubase can do this.  The keyword you're looking for is "logical editor."

To complicate things, there's two living versions of the Logical Editor and, of course, they're named differently.  The Logical Editor runs as a function, filtering and transposing data as you describe - it's the closest thing to CAL scripting Cubase offers.  The Input Transformer, on the other hand, is pretty much an identical tool but runs in real-time as a MIDI Insert.  Consequently, it's not covered in the main Operation Manual - you'll only find it mentioned in the Plug-In Reference.  Intuitive, right?

Now that you know the keywords to look for, you can get  more help - you'll need it - in the docs, forums, and on YouTube.  Good luck and have fun!

ooblecaboodle
I take issue with the audio editing in Sonar, and your solution is (as I understand it) to not bother. It's worth bearing in mind that it's highly unlikely that any clip will begin at a zero crossing, so some kind of pop or click is inevitable, unless your DAW is doing "something" that you didn't tell it to do, to your audio clips.
As for recording half a bar in/out, what about the little fret noises, breathing, people clearing their throat and so on that happen before a take? You can't just leave it there, it needs to be edited, to be cleaned up.

That's why I mentioned sometimes adding fade-ins and fade-outs.  I only say "sometimes" because I don't always worry about it before the mixing phase.  Then, to be clear, I pretty much always clean up the tops and tails (and this is where having linked clips is a real time-saver).  Removing the noises you describe is part of it.

Sorry if I was unclear.  I guess the point is that my workflow involves cleaning up clips so they can be duplicated and overlap at the tips/tails without concern for crossfades.  Otherwise, no, I have no need for stacked clips playing en masse either.  If I end up using multiple takes, the double always goes to another track.

ooblecaboodle
Then that's a big no-no. I need to be able to give out raw multitracks, and expect to receive raw multitracks. Extra steps such as removing all plugins and so forth just isn't tolerable. I'm not wasting my client's time, or mine, with unecessary extra steps.

I can understand that.  It's a feature I'd like as well (but for archiving), so I've posted a question on the Steinberg forums and will let you know if the results are positive.

And don't forget Track Archives.  If I were collaborating with someone, I'd prefer them over dry stems because it conveys all of the track(s)' minutia, including plugins.  It's supposed to be based on an open standard but, I'll admit, I have my doubts when it comes to trouble-free file exchange between applications.  I wouldn't trust it until I tested it thoroughly.

David Delbridge
Resort Records Inc
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 6
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1