Helpful ReplySonar Alternatives: Cubase

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 3 of 6
Author
raisindot
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 96
Re: Sonar Alternatives: Cubase 2017/12/06 20:14:23 (permalink)
Resort Records
raisindot
One question, however: Can anyone tell me whether Cubase has a n "Event Filter" feature to Sonar's? I've seen the Event List, which is great, but I really love the Event Filter as a way to make universal changes to a MIDI track (such as replacing all occurrences of a note with another, a boon for rhythm track editing). I know you can do similar things in the piano roll view, but I really like Sonar's search and replace feature much better. 

Does anyone know whether Cubase does this? I've looked everywhere on their help site for "Event Filter" but all it seems to say is that this feature just determines what will be shown on a particular Event view. 

This is a nice example of the documentation troubles I described in my original post.  Yes, Cubase can do this.  The keyword you're looking for is "logical editor."

To complicate things, there's two living versions of the Logical Editor and, of course, they're named differently.  The Logical Editor runs as a function, filtering and transposing data as you describe - it's the closest thing to CAL scripting Cubase offers.  The Input Transformer, on the other hand, is pretty much an identical tool but runs in real-time as a MIDI Insert.  Consequently, it's not covered in the main Operation Manual - you'll only find it mentioned in the Plug-In Reference.  Intuitive, right?

Now that you know the keywords to look for, you can get  more help - you'll need it - in the docs, forums, and on YouTube.  Good luck and have fun!

Thank you so much! Having something like this in Cubase--even as complicated as it is to learn about--could really be a deal-maker for me. 

And, just to show how much better I think the CW forum is than the Cubase forum, I asked this same exact question on Cubase 9.5 area of the Steinberg Cubase and no one answered it. 'Twill be ironic if I have to come here to get my Cubase questions answered! :) 

Makzimia
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 258
Re: Sonar Alternatives: Cubase 2017/12/06 20:56:39 (permalink)
I sat in on a Youtube live room with Greg Ondo. OUCH, I am completely amazed how powerful Cubase Pro 9.5 is. I am still only scratching the surface, as I record. But, watching what some things are still not on my radar, that he demoed... awesome!. As was said well by David, MIDI is incredible in Cubase. It's of course part of where I started with it decades ago, on steroids now.

Tony Carpenter
Castille Productions
Sonar Platinum//Cubase 10 Pro//Logic Pro X 
Mac Pro Dual Xeon 6 core 3.46ghz
32GB RAM
UA Apollo Quad FireWire, UAD2 Quad, X-touch, NI 12 Ultimate Collectors, Montage 7

Resort Records
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 234
Re: Sonar Alternatives: Cubase 2017/12/06 20:56:54 (permalink)
ooblecaboodle
I need to be able to give out raw multitracks, and expect to receive raw multitracks. Extra steps such as removing all plugins and so forth just isn't tolerable.

Here's what I got from the Steinberg forums:  While there aren't dedicated checkboxes in the Export panel, as one might expect, there are multi-function buttons on the MixConsole that can bypass certain processes.  Hold the Alt key and press "I," "E," "CS," or "S" to disable Inserts, EQs, Channel Strips, and Sends, respectively.  These functions are also available via key commands so, for example, you could create a batch command that disables all of them with a keystroke and another to re-enable them.

Other options are available but sorta messy.  For example, you can render files in place (with the desired wet/dry options), but this drops the resulting audio files into your project's general audio pool and would need to be dug out manually.  Hrmmmph.

David Delbridge
Resort Records Inc
Resort Records
Re: Sonar Alternatives: Cubase 2017/12/06 22:19:32 (permalink)
raisindot
'Twill be ironic if I have to come here to get my Cubase questions answered! :) 

You won't be the first.  I've Googled other Cubase topics and ended up here. 

Another option is Gearslutz.  They host a dedicated Cubase + Nuendo forum under the DAW Talk forum.  For difficult technical questions, I sometimes have better luck there.  For example, I once asked the Steinberg community about the technical differences between Cubase's nine time/pitch-shifting algorithms (e.g., élastique, MPEX, standard) and got nothing but "Use whichever sounds best."  Ugh.  The first response I got from Gearslutz was spot on and thorough.  Very helpful.

David Delbridge
Resort Records Inc
bartveld
  • Total Posts : 70
Re: Sonar Alternatives: Cubase 2017/12/07 15:04:18 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Resort Records 2017/12/07 19:33:53
Maybe this has already been posted, but just to be sure.
I got this through Gearslutz: Overloud will unlock its plugins for (ex)Sonar-users.
https://www.overloud.com/news/overlo...walk-customers
bwbalint
  • Total Posts : 296
Re: Sonar Alternatives: Cubase 2017/12/09 00:49:11 (permalink)
As I continue some trials with Cubase, I would like to report that I have gotten my MCU PRO to work fairly well as a control surface in Cubase.  The only thing not working is the 'Marker' buttons.  New 'Marker' is not even working when I program a different button for it.  One thing I did find after much looking is 'Enter' and 'Cancel' in Cubase MCU PRO speak is 'Confirm' and 'Escape' under the 'Focus' category.  I did have a Cubase overlay which helps.  

I also have TouchOSC working well with Cubase as well.  Also managed to get the basic transport buttons for the VS-100 working and in-sync with the MCU.  

Samplitude PRO X3 has been a little bit more of a challenge in getting the VS-100 and TouchOSC working, but I will keep pecking at it in between guitar riffs.  

CbB latest incarnation, Focusrite Scarlett (2nd generation), WIN10 1809 build,  , MCU pro , Yamaha Motif classic 6 , focusrite ASA one
abacab
Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4464
Re: Sonar Alternatives: Cubase 2017/12/09 01:03:19 (permalink)
bartveld
Maybe this has already been posted, but just to be sure.
I got this through Gearslutz: Overloud will unlock its plugins for (ex)Sonar-users.
https://www.overloud.com/news/overlo...walk-customers

Yup!  The Overloud plugins are my favorite Cakewalk extras.  The unlocked versions are working well here!!! 

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
Maarkr
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 488
Re: Sonar Alternatives: Cubase 2017/12/09 03:20:36 (permalink)
David's first post reminded me so much of when I used Cubase up to ver 4.  I switched because of all the quirks and spending so much time trying to make things happen.  Very pro package but I went crazy trying to get a real workflow.  I was leaning towards going back to Cubase but after reading this I really don't want the headaches again.  

Maarkr
Studio: SPALT Lifetime/BL Cakewalk, Studio One 3.5, UAD, Z3ta+2, IKM, NI, Waves, iZotope, Melda, Reaper
i7 3770/Giga Z77 mobo, Win10 Pro-64 w16Gb, MOTU Ultralite MK4, Yamaha HS80M wSub, Live: PX-5S, FA-06, Roland Lucina, Epi Les Paul, Ibanez Bass, Amps, e-drums, Zoom R-16...
Latest album release, NEW! Counry Classic at http://genemaarkr.bandcamp.com/
noynekker
Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1235
Re: Sonar Alternatives: Cubase 2017/12/09 07:29:47 (permalink)
Maarkr
David's first post reminded me so much of when I used Cubase up to ver 4.  I switched because of all the quirks and spending so much time trying to make things happen.  Very pro package but I went crazy trying to get a real workflow.  I was leaning towards going back to Cubase but after reading this I really don't want the headaches again.  

Well, I just finished programming all my FAV Sonar keyboard shortcuts into Cubase 9.5 . . . so now I have the same workflow with a better GUI.

Cakewalk by Bandlab, Cubase, RME Babyface Pro, Intel i7 3770K @3.5Ghz, Asus P8Z77-VPro/Thunderbolt, 32GB DDR3 RAM, GeForce GTX 660 Ti, 250 GB OS SSD, 2TB HDD samples, Win 10 Pro 64 bit, backed up by Macrium Reflect, Novation Impulse 61 Midi Key Controller, Tannoy Active Near Field Monitors, Guitars by Vantage, Gibson, Yamaki and Ovation.

bartveld
Re: Sonar Alternatives: Cubase 2017/12/09 09:04:36 (permalink)
Can someone give me some pointers about setting up a control surface in Cubase? Where to start, for one thing. I haven't reached that part of the manual yet.
bartveld
Re: Sonar Alternatives: Cubase 2017/12/09 10:01:16 (permalink)
Meanwhile, I must say I'm very unimpressed by Steinberg's support. I submitted a question 6 days ago and still haven't received an answer. With the Steinberg forum being equally unresponsive it doesn't bode well...
Resort Records
Re: Sonar Alternatives: Cubase 2017/12/10 00:49:50 (permalink)
bartveld
Can someone give me some pointers about setting up a control surface in Cubase? Where to start, for one thing. I haven't reached that part of the manual yet.

Which control surface?  There are device-specific videos on YouTube for quite a few.

Generally, control surfaces are added via Cubase > Device Setup... > Remote Devices.  Hit the "+" (plus) button to reveal a drop-down list of ~20 supported control surfaces, including "Generic."

David Delbridge
Resort Records Inc
bwbalint
Re: Sonar Alternatives: Cubase 2017/12/10 00:52:37 (permalink)
bartveld

Start with 'Studio', 'Studio Setup', and then MIDI port setup.  Make sure your devices midiports are there.  I have some experience with Cubase and MCU PRO, VS-100 and TouchOSC.  Once you have your midiports checked, then go to 'Remote Device' just under the MIDI port setup.  Click on the '+' at the top of the page and add a device.  Multiple choices including Mackie, generic and so on.  

CbB latest incarnation, Focusrite Scarlett (2nd generation), WIN10 1809 build,  , MCU pro , Yamaha Motif classic 6 , focusrite ASA one
bartveld
Re: Sonar Alternatives: Cubase 2017/12/10 08:39:33 (permalink)
Thanks to you both. bwbalint, I see you also have VS-100, like I do. Do you happen to have an xml-file to import?
bwbalint
Re: Sonar Alternatives: Cubase 2017/12/10 13:42:06 (permalink)
bartveld
Thanks to you both. bwbalint, I see you also have VS-100, like I do. Do you happen to have an xml-file to import?

I have an .xml that I made for the VS-100.  Right now it has transport controls, the two track select buttons, mute, solo, record enable, and controls for the foot pedal, which is what I primarily use it for.  I haven't been able to find a 'Shift' command to use with it, which doesn't mean it isn't somewhere in the possibility tree.  

PM me and I will send it to you.  

JohanSebatianGremlin
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 402
Re: Sonar Alternatives: Cubase 2017/12/10 17:18:34 (permalink)
I'm still finding my way around and I've still got a ton to learn about Cubase. So far I've only run into a few examples of what I'm already calling the 'German' way of doing things. 

The interaction with the audio interface is the first one. I installed the software, it found my RME interface and easily let me select it. I loaded a soft synth and boom, I  had sound. It found and used my interface just as you'd expect. Well not so fast there piggy. Yes we found your 32 input/output interface. But we know that a dumb piggy like yourself will never use more than the first two input channels and the first two output channels so that's all we'll make the software configure. If for some oddball stupid reason, you have the nerve to want to use more inputs or outputs than that, you'll have to figure out to configure them on your own piggy. Its a feature. Enjoy.

And then there's monitoring inserts. If you load up a soft synth and the patch an effect like a delay into the insert, you can hear that effect as  you play the plugin. This is just what you'd expect to happen. 

But now lets say you want to plug in a guitar. Well first piggy you'll need to wrestle with setting up inputs before the software will even acknowledge that your guitar exists. But now I've got my guitar signal feeding a channel. Ok lets load up an amp plug and get some sound going. Not so fast piggy. You can monitor effect inserts on soft synths but not on audio inputs. Why? Because piggy, no one should want to do that ever. Its a feature. Enjoy.

So we go to the Cubase forum to ask for help. Oh we'll let you join piggy, no problem. Oh but you want to actually speak? Oh no no piggy, we can't let you do that. We'll have to approve your post piggy. And we'll take our time to do that. Check back in six to eight weeks I guess. Welcome to Cubase piggy. Enjoy.

Yeah I'm going to miss Sonar. A lot. But I'm also glad I'm doing this now and not waiting until Sonar is completely broken before trying to learn the German way of doing things.

If gear was the determining factor, we would all have a shelf full of Grammies and a pocket full of change.  -microapp

i7, 32gb RAM, Win10 64bit, RME UFX
Markubl2
  • Total Posts : 299
Re: Sonar Alternatives: Cubase 2017/12/11 00:09:12 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby abacab 2017/12/11 02:06:40
I'm enjoying Cubase thus far.  Even as a newbie, I've been able to figure out most things fairly quickly.
JClosed
Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 690
Re: Sonar Alternatives: Cubase 2017/12/11 09:56:10 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby stevethompson 2017/12/11 17:47:03
JohanSebatianGremlin
I'm still finding my way around and I've still got a ton to learn about Cubase. So far I've only run into a few examples of what I'm already calling the 'German' way of doing things. 

The interaction with the audio interface is the first one. I installed the software, it found my RME interface and easily let me select it. I loaded a soft synth and boom, I  had sound. It found and used my interface just as you'd expect. Well not so fast there piggy. Yes we found your 32 input/output interface. But we know that a dumb piggy like yourself will never use more than the first two input channels and the first two output channels so that's all we'll make the software configure. If for some oddball stupid reason, you have the nerve to want to use more inputs or outputs than that, you'll have to figure out to configure them on your own piggy. Its a feature. Enjoy.

And then there's monitoring inserts. If you load up a soft synth and the patch an effect like a delay into the insert, you can hear that effect as  you play the plugin. This is just what you'd expect to happen. 

But now lets say you want to plug in a guitar. Well first piggy you'll need to wrestle with setting up inputs before the software will even acknowledge that your guitar exists. But now I've got my guitar signal feeding a channel. Ok lets load up an amp plug and get some sound going. Not so fast piggy. You can monitor effect inserts on soft synths but not on audio inputs. Why? Because piggy, no one should want to do that ever. Its a feature. Enjoy.

So we go to the Cubase forum to ask for help. Oh we'll let you join piggy, no problem. Oh but you want to actually speak? Oh no no piggy, we can't let you do that. We'll have to approve your post piggy. And we'll take our time to do that. Check back in six to eight weeks I guess. Welcome to Cubase piggy. Enjoy.

Yeah I'm going to miss Sonar. A lot. But I'm also glad I'm doing this now and not waiting until Sonar is completely broken before trying to learn the German way of doing things.

Ehhmm.. Are you using Cubase Pro? If so you can activate the Control Room, and you can use just as much outputs as you want, and can have up to 16 plugins in each output. You can also choose what channels are been monitored on each output. Very easy if you have more than one Monitor set, or if you want room correction on a monitor, and monitor emulation on a separate headphone output.

For inputs you just go to the inputs tab on VST connections, and you can add as much stereo or mono input channels as you wish (or your hardware is capable of). You can monitor each channel by setting it active and armed. You are not telling what setup configuration you want exactly, so I cannot give you more advise.

Yes - I am on the Cubase forum from time to time also, but I encountered mostly very helpful people over there. Yes - you have to let your first post being approved, but the reason for that is that the forum was spammed by one-time users that try to sell you latest kitchen or certain body-part enlargement pills. Rather than let the forum be filled with that kind of stuff, to be removed later, they simply made that first-time post check to make sure no garbage is posted (and "piggy"? - Please come on).

Anyway - I have my MOTU traveler running in Cubase 9.5 and can use all my inputs and outputs as much if I like. It can differ if you only have the Elements version. If I can remember well the number of inputs in Elements is limited to 8 (so 8 mono or 4 stereo inputs, or a combination of that). If you are uncertain how to do that, remember that Cubase has an good YouTube channel, where you can find things about setup, and also lots of tips and tricks.

Take a look: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcQBdibdDxH2ngu3kNPYOEA/featured

Setting up sound card: https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10051
And found after some "Googgeling": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ir_GirqAx0

The latest is not for Cubase 9.5, but this setup has not changed in years, so it's still the same.

Hope this helps.
JohanSebatianGremlin
Re: Sonar Alternatives: Cubase 2017/12/11 13:53:01 (permalink)
JClosed

Ehhmm.. Are you using Cubase Pro? If so you can activate the Control Room, and you can use just as much outputs as you want, and can have up to 16 plugins in each output. You can also choose what channels are been monitored on each output. Very easy if you have more than one Monitor set, or if you want room correction on a monitor, and monitor emulation on a separate headphone output.

For inputs you just go to the inputs tab on VST connections, and you can add as much stereo or mono input channels as you wish (or your hardware is capable of). You can monitor each channel by setting it active and armed. You are not telling what setup configuration you want exactly, so I cannot give you more advise.

Oh I never for a moment had any doubt I'd be able to use as many inputs and outputs as I'd care to want. You miss the point of what I was saying. Why would a DAW with the Pro in the name not have all available inputs and outputs on the selected interface routed and active by default? Why would a Pro product assume that I only want to use a single stereo input and output? Why do I have to pull my hair out to figure out how to do what most other DAW's do automatically? 

Yes - I am on the Cubase forum from time to time also, but I encountered mostly very helpful people over there. Yes - you have to let your first post being approved, but the reason for that is that the forum was spammed by one-time users that try to sell you latest kitchen or certain body-part enlargement pills. Rather than let the forum be filled with that kind of stuff, to be removed later, they simply made that first-time post check to make sure no garbage is posted (and "piggy"? - Please come on).

Again, way ahead of you but you're kind of missing the point. Forums get spammed, its pretty common. There are lots of other ways around that besides putting initial posts in a mod cue. But here's the bigger deal for me. It would be one thing if the Cubase forum was created owned and hosted by some random user who just happens to be a really big fan of the software. But that particular forum resides on Steinberg's commercial domain which at the very least suggests it is owned and maintained by Steinberg. Therefore when you create a post and days go by without it being approved, it kind of speaks to Steinberg's regard to customer service. Wouldn't you agree?

If gear was the determining factor, we would all have a shelf full of Grammies and a pocket full of change.  -microapp

JClosed
Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 690
Re: Sonar Alternatives: Cubase 2017/12/11 15:24:50 (permalink)
JohanSebatianGremlin
Oh I never for a moment had any doubt I'd be able to use as many inputs and outputs as I'd care to want. You miss the point of what I was saying. Why would a DAW with the Pro in the name not have all available inputs and outputs on the selected interface routed and active by default? Why would a Pro product assume that I only want to use a single stereo input and output? Why do I have to pull my hair out to figure out how to do what most other DAW's do automatically?

Just like I said. Cubase is highly configurable, and if all outputs would be channeled to the standard output, it would be even more work to change that all to Control Room outputs if you want to use those. Not everybody uses the same layout (and I am sure you will not use my configuration). You can configure several setups and give each it's own name, so you can switch very fast between configurations. I personally would not like it when I would have to undo the standard setup, and then change everything to my liking (Control Room routing). I then rather start with a clean state, but that's a personal opinion.

Anyway - I do not see the problem here. You only have to set it up once and it takes only a few minutes. After that you have years of using that program without having to configure anything.

JohanSebatianGremlin
Again, way ahead of you but you're kind of missing the point. Forums get spammed, its pretty common. There are lots of other ways around that besides putting initial posts in a mod cue. But here's the bigger deal for me. It would be one thing if the Cubase forum was created owned and hosted by some random user who just happens to be a really big fan of the software. But that particular forum resides on Steinberg's commercial domain which at the very least suggests it is owned and maintained by Steinberg. Therefore when you create a post and days go by without it being approved, it kind of speaks to Steinberg's regard to customer service. Wouldn't you agree?

As far as I know first posts do not take day's to be approved. Mine was approved within hours. However, keep in mind that the action to lower cross-license prices has probably attracted lots of new users. Steinberg is big, but not that big that great influx is picked up without some delays in other departments. That your first post has taken day's to be approved is not very common as far as my experience goes. I can understand you are a bit agitated about that, but don't you exaggerate a bit here?

Anyway - I am just another user, just like you, that has some better experiences with the forum. Hope to see you there.
JohanSebatianGremlin
Re: Sonar Alternatives: Cubase 2017/12/11 16:27:25 (permalink)
JClosed

Just like I said. Cubase is highly configurable, and if all outputs would be channeled to the standard output, it would be even more work to change that all to Control Room outputs if you want to use those. Not everybody uses the same layout (and I am sure you will not use my configuration). You can configure several setups and give each it's own name, so you can switch very fast between configurations. I personally would not like it when I would have to undo the standard setup, and then change everything to my liking (Control Room routing). I then rather start with a clean state, but that's a personal opinion.

Anyway - I do not see the problem here. You only have to set it up once and it takes only a few minutes. After that you have years of using that program without having to configure anything.
Here's the problem. It should happen automatically. Its great that they make it so you can customize where everything goes and how its configured. But it should be configured to work automatically by default. There is no downside to that. None. As far as you being annoyed if you would have had to unto what they did to make your own configuration goes... As simple as adding 'clear all input/outputs' button would fix that wouldn't it? Don't like the auto config? Just click the clear all and rebuild your own. But at least then it would work from the get go by default. 

As far as I know first posts do not take day's to be approved. Mine was approved within hours. However, keep in mind that the action to lower cross-license prices has probably attracted lots of new users. Steinberg is big, but not that big that great influx is picked up without some delays in other departments. That your first post has taken day's to be approved is not very common as far as my experience goes. I can understand you are a bit agitated about that, but don't you exaggerate a bit here?

Sonar's user base isn't that huge and not all of them bought the crossgrade. Of those that did, not all of them would have posted in their forum. And once someone actually decides to do that work, it would take all of 30 seconds to realize my post wasn't spam and approve it. If it were an amateur owned forum run out of someone's garage, I could see having trouble keeping up. But the forum in question has Steinberg's name on it and Yamaha's muscle behind it. An intern should have been able to get this done within hours if not minutes. Even with a bump in sales from the Sonar crash.

Markubl2
Re: Sonar Alternatives: Cubase 2017/12/11 17:19:32 (permalink)
Maybe you should look at another option rather than Cubase?
stevethompson
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 45
Re: Sonar Alternatives: Cubase 2017/12/11 17:46:27 (permalink)
OK, enabling the Control Room sounds like what I probably need to do - now am wondering why it's not enabled by default? (rhetorical wondering, I'm sure it will become clear) .  I just started working with the Cubase 9.5 demo - I went through the Audio setup menus and added/renamed all of the available ins and outs and saved the config with a new name.

Next time I opened it, back to only 2 in / 2 out, and the saved config is not in the list.
Tonight I'll enable Control Room and test saving another config, I suspect there may be more rtfm involved though.  Plenty of info out there, and thanks for this tip :)

It is encouraging to have the (weekly?) hangouts as well, lots of tips in there.

====== Steve
SPlat | SFPro 11
System : CS400  | UAD2 | Win 10
Audio Int: Apollo | Eleven Rack
Midi Int: Fishman Tripleplay | iConnectivity

JohanSebatianGremlin
Re: Sonar Alternatives: Cubase 2017/12/11 17:47:46 (permalink)
husker

Given the choice I'd stay with Sonar. But I'm not going to continue to do projects on a platform that lacks support and will die at some unspecified date in the future. I bought Cubase based on recommendations and published features so that's the horse I'm going to ride. If the workflow/overall design ends up not working for me, then I'll put it down as being worth a shot and pursue other options. I'm still hopeful it will work well for me and be a good fit in the long run. But I'm also going to point out what I think are poor design choices when I see them same I'd do with anything else. Same as I'd expect from anyone else.

So that being said, we've figured out new users have to go in and manually configure all their ins and outs. Great. Now that I know that, I'll get it done. 

Next issues is monitor insert plugins on live inputs. What's the work-around? I can't be the first Cubase user who wanted to hear amp sim plugins while recording guitar.

Markubl2
Re: Sonar Alternatives: Cubase 2017/12/11 18:48:36 (permalink)
JohanSebatianGremlin
husker

Given the choice I'd stay with Sonar. But I'm not going to continue to do projects on a platform that lacks support and will die at some unspecified date in the future. I bought Cubase based on recommendations and published features so that's the horse I'm going to ride. 

I'm in _exactly_ the same boat.  I would have much rather stayed with Sonar, but choose not to continue to learn a dead product.
post edited by husker - 2017/12/11 19:15:53
abacab
Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4464
Re: Sonar Alternatives: Cubase 2017/12/11 19:13:36 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby jyoung60 2017/12/11 20:06:47
Buying Cubase based on recommendations and published features, without an in-depth test run is just silly, IMHO.

Fact: there are no DAWs exactly like Sonar, and never will be.  Learning new features and adjusting your workflow accordingly will be necessary.  The sooner you come to terms with this, the sooner you will adapt successfully to your chosen path. 

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
dmbaer
Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2585
Re: Sonar Alternatives: Cubase 2017/12/11 19:56:59 (permalink)
stevethompson
OK, enabling the Control Room sounds like what I probably need to do - now am wondering why it's not enabled by default? (rhetorical wondering, I'm sure it will become clear) .

Next time I opened it, back to only 2 in / 2 out, and the saved config is not in the list.
Tonight I'll enable Control Room and test saving another config, I suspect there may be more rtfm involved though.  Plenty of info out there, and thanks for this tip :)

The control room is not for everybody, so it makes little sense to force that option on users who don't need it (if you use IKM's ARC, you *do* need it, however).

I suggest that you take a look at project templates.  Set up a project that way you like to start all (or most) new efforts, save that as a template, and use that template as the starting point of any new project.  It works nicely once you get used to the flow of things and I suspect it will address your issues regarding the active state of inputs and outputs.
joegab
  • Total Posts : 437
Re: Sonar Alternatives: Cubase 2017/12/11 20:50:18 (permalink)
I bought Cubase 9.5 using the 50 % discount offered by Steinberg.

I must say that everything seems fine but I miss some features that I always loved using Sonar.

One example: if you record a track (maybe a guitar) for some bars, then you need to record a second section on the same track starting on the following bar (so you need to start recording a couples of bars before) you can't hear what it was recorded before because cubase mutes the track while recording it and this is not so nice.

And - similar scenario - using the lanes you cannot hear overlapping clips (if the clips are overlapping a bit, you can only hear one lane at a time and the other lanes are muted)...

Anyway I am learning Cubase and for sure it is a good DAW in my opinion.

For sure I could be much happier if Sonar will stay alive .... !!!

Bye,

Giorgio

denverdrummer
  • Total Posts : 278
Re: Sonar Alternatives: Cubase 2017/12/11 20:50:39 (permalink)
I'm quickly coming to love Cubase.  In fact I was watching some videos with Greg Ondo on some of the time stretching and tempo track features in Cubase and it blows away what Sonar and alot of other DAW's on the market can do in that regard.

It's just a huge help to me, because I have worked with a ton or projects that were not recorded to a click.  In Sonar it would take 5-10min or so to set that up, but in Cubase it's just a couple of mouse clicks.

While I do still prefer the visual look and layout of Sonar, I'm actually discovering there are so many advanced features in Cubase that just weren't there or were buggy in Sonar.

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Dell Inspiron 15, core i7, 16GB RAM, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mackie MR5 Mark 1 speakers
valsolim
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 25
Re: Sonar Alternatives: Cubase 2017/12/11 20:59:15 (permalink)
JohanSebatianGremlin
Next issues is monitor insert plugins on live inputs. What's the work-around? I can't be the first Cubase user who wanted to hear amp sim plugins while recording guitar.

You really don't need any workaround. Cubase monitoring works very intuitively. Most probably, you are not hearing the insert effects due to one of the following two reasons:

1. Either you have engaged the "Constrain Delay Compensation" button.
2. Or, you have activated the Direct Monitoring option (Studio Setup -> VST Audio System).

Disable both those functions and you will hear the audio track insert effects during recording.
--
Miloslav
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 3 of 6
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1