Helpful ReplySonar Platinum - Being retired soon ???

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 8
Author
John
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 30467
Re: Sonar Platinum - Being retired soon ??? 2016/06/02 13:54:54 (permalink)
All of you do know that a contract is involved here. A breach of the contract by claiming a name change is sufficient to void the contract may be actionable. I think you should read the contract before speculating. 

Best
John
guitars53
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1
Re: Sonar Platinum - Being retired soon ??? 2016/06/02 14:02:16 (permalink)
I agree with you. Sounds like a rip off. This may be the last straw. I've been a Cakewalk user for many, many years. But it may be time to make a change. Studio One maybe. Anyway, very frustrated after all the years of my loyalty.
Lord Tim
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 837
Re: Sonar Platinum - Being retired soon ??? 2016/06/02 14:08:20 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Klaus 2016/06/02 17:44:44
How is this in any way a rip off?

You have so many options now. Pay by the month, the yearly membership, and lifetime updates. If you're as cynical as some of the people are in here and like them you assume Cakewalk moves the goalposts in 2 years time with a new name of the product, you're STILL out in front compared to the regular options, which everyone was already quite fine with.

I don't get it. This thread makes my brain ache.

WWW: www.lord.net.au  FB: www.facebook.com/lordtimofficial
Bandlab: www.bandlab.com/lordtim

Cakewalk by Bandlab / DAW: i7 M620 @ 2.67 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Win10 64 Bit [eng], TASCAM US-16x08 @ 5.8ms (22.7ms RTL) ASIO, Behringer UMX61 Keyboard Controller.
sharke
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13933
Re: Sonar Platinum - Being retired soon ??? 2016/06/02 14:14:53 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Klaus 2016/06/02 17:49:03
Tripecac
Continuous updates only work if there is a continuous income stream.  If all Sonar users converted to lifetime subscriptions (including the upcoming Mac users) and stopped buying other Cakewalk products, then the income stream would dry up.  How long could Cakewalk possibly deliver updates?  How long could they "coast" on the lifetime update injection?

Because new people are buying the software all the time. The ongoing financial health of a company like Cakewalk relies heavily on sales from new users. They are clearly not hoping that a one-time payment from its existing user base will be enough to sustain them indefinitely. I would have thought that was obvious.

I don't understand much of the pissiness over this lifetime updates deal. Any "lifetime" offer comes with the risk that the company offering it will cease trading or fly off in another direction or whatever. Doesn't matter whether it's a cloud backup service or a software company, there is always the chance things will go arse up at any time. It's your job as a free consumer to evaluate the measure of this risk and ascertain whether it's worth it. If a local restaurant offered you a "free lunch for life" deal for $300, would it be worth it? There's always the chance that the place might go under. Then again, it's been there for 25 years and doesn't show any signs of going out of business. But things could change in 3 or 4 years - will I have had my $300 worth by then? Hmm, decisions decisions. It's exactly the same with this offer. You're making a judgment on the health of Cakewalk, the likelihood of it going under in the next few years, how trustworthy they've been in the past etc. And I think when you evaluate all that stuff objectively, you'll find that it's a very good offer with minimal risk. And since its $99 you're spending and not $999, that risk does seem quite negligible.

The OP's fears are ridiculous, as if they're going to pull the rug from under their user base by renaming the product and using that as a basis to stop free updates. It would be suicide for them.

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
sharke
Re: Sonar Platinum - Being retired soon ??? 2016/06/02 14:17:12 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby tlw 2016/06/07 06:45:38
Lord Tim

You have so many options now. Pay by the month, the yearly membership, and lifetime updates. If you're as cynical as some of the people are in here and like them you assume Cakewalk moves the goalposts in 2 years time with a new name of the product, you're STILL out in front compared to the regular options, which everyone was already quite fine with.

I'm sure some of these people are the same types who worry about using online installers in case the mere act of plugging their DAW into the Interwebz gives them a virus. I get the same vibe.

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
joden
Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1263
Re: Sonar Platinum - Being retired soon ??? 2016/06/02 14:20:14 (permalink)
John
All of you do know that a contract is involved here. A breach of the contract by claiming a name change is sufficient to void the contract may be actionable. I think you should read the contract before speculating. 

Incorrect I believe - a company has the right to "retire" software at any time it chooses. It can then choose to launch new products in its stead. There is no breach as the "lifetime" of said retired product has now ended. It is not "our personal" lifetimes here! And we only ever licence the software, so in the end it is Gibsons to do with as they wish!

Just one of the myriad reasons why companies spend large sums on lawyers to draft end-user agreements, and to determine the syntax of offers such as these. Not saying there is any blatant deception here, just saying Gibson have used a marketing tool to get some extra cash injected into the business. It is probably needed to fund the rather costly programming effort to bring OSX version to market. They have obviously made economic calculations that offering "lifetime" upgrades will inject cash enough to proceed forward, but the lifetime (in its p.o.v. - if a comapny can have such thing?) is nto going to be long enough to cause much (if any) financial burden on the company.

Yes I know Apple do it with free upgrades to the iOS system, but Gibson do not have the millions of Apple users paying for apps on a daily basis. It is why the Apple model works. It would not work for Gibson imo, well not to the same extent, so one must look "behind and between the lines" for motivations for actions - of course it is speculation, but specualtion based on real world experience of how companies operate. They are not benevolent societies after all
joden
Re: Sonar Platinum - Being retired soon ??? 2016/06/02 14:25:26 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby SteveStrummerUK 2016/06/04 15:22:38
And going on some of the views expressed here, I rest my case that Gibson are relying on those gullible (no,) naive enough to believe that companies have the end-users, consumers best interests at heart! As I wrote earllier in this thread, I took up the offer as even if it only lasts two years, it is still cheaper than two years normal subs! If it goes longer then that's a bonus.

All I am saying is it is not the altruistic offer that Gibson would have you believe, or that it s some sort of "payback" for years of customer loyalty. It is a pure business strategy, as was my decision to buy into the lifetime upgrade. It made perfect business sense to me, end of!
Grumbleweed_
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 915
Re: Sonar Platinum - Being retired soon ??? 2016/06/02 14:33:09 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Zargg71 2016/06/02 17:03:44
guitars53
I agree with you. Sounds like a rip off. This may be the last straw. I've been a Cakewalk user for many, many years. But it may be time to make a change. Studio One maybe. Anyway, very frustrated after all the years of my loyalty.

In a cr@p thread based on a OP written by someone who has no idea about how the Sonar updates now work, this post takes the prize for getting your knickers in a twist over absolutely nothing.
I'm perplexed and stunned.

Grum.

Grumbleweed on Soundcloud
Grumbleweed on Bandcamp
Grumbleweed on Soundclick

Windows 10 Pro (64 bit), 3770K i7, 8 GB ram, Focusrite Saffire Pro 14, Cubase 9.5, Reason 10, CbB.
SupaReels Music
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 370
Re: Sonar Platinum - Being retired soon ??? 2016/06/02 14:37:11 (permalink)
I thank all those who have made comments to this thread, a few somewhat pointless and acidic, but none the less helpful. It would seem that I misunderstood the deal that was being offered. As a user since Sonar producer 5  I think I'll stick with it and for what it's worth I have now purchased my lifetime update.  This forum is always so helpful, if you can ignore the sheep ...
cparmerlee
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1153
Re: Sonar Platinum - Being retired soon ??? 2016/06/02 15:36:34 (permalink)
BRuys
The model is similar to Windows 10 - supposedly the last version of Windows ever, to be updated indefinitely.  That's why it was not called X4.

That's not particularly encouraging.  <Microsoft did this because they envision there isn't that much left to accomplish at the "operating system" level and they wanted to get the Windows ecosystem spread as wide as possible during this final phase.  That is important because the ecosystem will be full of little monetizing pits.  As time goes on with Windows more and more of what they deliver will be packaged as add-ons that each code a few bucks.

It isn't so different with LANDR, Melodyne, and the other VSTs that provide on sample functionality for free, is it?

DAW: SONAR Platinum Audio I/F: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 gen2
OS: Windows 10 64-bit CPU: Haswell 4790 4.0 GHz, 4 core, 8 thread  Memory: 16 GB      Video: GTX-760Ti
Storage: Sandisk SSD 500GB for active projects. ReadyNAS 20 TB for long-term storage

sonocrafters.com
JonD
Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3617
Re: Sonar Platinum - Being retired soon ??? 2016/06/02 15:52:21 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby tlw 2016/06/07 06:48:37
guitars53

Yeah, because the old $179 annual upgrade was WAAAAAAAY better than the $199 lifetime upgrade offer. 

Hey Mister One-Post-Wonder, if you're not already a Studio One user (and chronic CW basher at their forums), I'll eat my lucky hat.

SonarPlat/CWbBL, Win 10 Pro, i7 2600K, Asus P8Z68 Deluxe, 16GB DDR3, Radeon HD5450, TC Electronic Impact Twin, Kawai MP11 Piano, Event ALP Monitors, Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro, Too Many Plugins, My lucky hat.
abacab
Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4464
Re: Sonar Platinum - Being retired soon ??? 2016/06/02 16:02:01 (permalink)
John T
Tripecac
Continuous updates only work if there is a continuous income stream.  If all Sonar users converted to lifetime subscriptions (including the upcoming Mac users) and stopped buying other Cakewalk products, then the income stream would dry up.

Ah, but the lifetime offer is a/ only available til the end of August and b/ limited to people buying or renewing Platinum. So it's not even a majority of users, never mind "all".

Oh good grief!  Another negative thread?  Give me a break!  IMHO Cakewalk has been in business for years and is not going away any time soon.

I believe that John T has just nailed the main point here!!!

As far as their revenue stream goes, this "lifetime" deal as stated is only until the end of August.  And is limited to those buying or renewing Platinum. For the rest it is $300 - $500 to upgrade!

Consider for a minute that Cakewalk has many current customers that are not on Producer or Platinum yet and may wish to continue their current plan.  They have several levels of Sonar, and the "great deal" is targeted only to the loyal customers on Producer or Platinum today.  Once this deal ends, it's back to the same revenue model as last year, except for those of us who exercise this option soon.  They will continue to bring new users on-board through the entry level products and good word of mouth from the loyal users.

I have been on Producer since Sonar 3 came out, and I think that this may be the greatest deal ever! I am planning to upgrade from X3 Producer to Platinum Infinity!

The MacOSX plan also ensures that they will grow their market share.  Planting the seeds, anyway.  But it's all good!

If I was them, I would give the Mac version away for free to all schools and educators :-)

That would be the best way to create a new choice of DAW for teaching music tech on a Mac.  Eventually, when enough students have learned about DAWs, and Sonar in particular, they will hopefully choose to work with the best tools for their needs.  It would be great for SONAR to be among those options.  That will only make the future of Cakewalk that much stronger :-D

One final thought here, off-topic, but relating to how good I feel about Cakewalk's concern for it's customers.  It is in contrast to a different company, a different industry, and a different software subscription plan.

One word: Adobe ...

Words cannot express what I really think about their Monthly/Annual plan for the "Creative Cloud". It is an all you eat buffet of all their creative applications, from Photoshop and Illustrator, to their web & publishing tools. You can download and use them all, similar to CCC.  They are an "industry standard" for graphics professionals, so many depend on them for the tools of their trade.

Their monthly pricing for all that sounds great at first look.  But there's a catch. Stop paying and your software stops working. WTF?  You have created projects in formats that can only be edited and saved with said software.

Be happy that Cakewalk has chosen the path they are on :-)

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
kevinwal
Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1066
Re: Sonar Platinum - Being retired soon ??? 2016/06/02 16:14:02 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Klaus 2016/06/02 17:55:35
joden
And going on some of the views expressed here, I rest my case that Gibson are relying on those gullible (no,) naive enough to believe that companies have the end-users, consumers best interests at heart! As I wrote earllier in this thread, I took up the offer as even if it only lasts two years, it is still cheaper than two years normal subs! If it goes longer then that's a bonus.

All I am saying is it is not the altruistic offer that Gibson would have you believe, or that it s some sort of "payback" for years of customer loyalty. It is a pure business strategy, as was my decision to buy into the lifetime upgrade. It made perfect business sense to me, end of!

Holy Moses!

If they were only about the money they'd be writing defense systems software or something like that, and Gibson would be making missiles. Instead, they compete in an incredibly small market for a narrow slice of a really very small pie. So I can only assume that they're in this market because they love what they do. 

Good customer service is a business decision too. Good service means return customers. Caring, talented people giving great value to the customer means value to the business as well. This isn't cynicism, this is a quality outfit finding a business model that benefits both them and the customer, and that's how you stay in business.

Since you are not required by law to purchase Sonar they have to continually find ways to make you happy. There's nothing cynical about it whatsoever. The only cynicism I see on display are the posts in this thread.

Kevin Walsh
My latest tunes are at Reverbnation, please give a listen!

EVGA X58 Classified III, 24GB Kingston RAM, i7/970 6 core
256GB SSD, 2TB HD
Windows 10 Build 10586, Sonar Platinum, 2016.03
MOTU 8Pre Interface
Lynn
Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6117
Re: Sonar Platinum - Being retired soon ??? 2016/06/02 16:44:17 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby tenfoot 2016/06/02 23:13:26
What an unbelievable thread.  Even if CW ended today, I would still have the best recording platform that I ever had in my 40 years of recording.  I don't remember my tape decks improving year after year.  I had to spend a lot of time and money to keep those puppies running  through maintenance and repair.  Some people need to put things in perspective and get on with using the software and quit worrying whether Platinum is going to be discontinued.

All the best,
Lynn

my songs
www.soundclick.com/lynnwilson

www.youtube.com/lywilson
my videos

Cakewalk by Bandlab| Sonar Platinum @ 64bits| i7 860 | 8 gigs ram | W10 @ 64 bits | RME FF 400
John
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 30467
Re: Sonar Platinum - Being retired soon ??? 2016/06/02 16:47:55 (permalink)
joden
John

Incorrect I believe - a company has the right to "retire" software at any time it chooses. It can then choose to launch new products in its stead. There is no breach as the "lifetime" of said retired product has now ended. It is not "our personal" lifetimes here! And we only ever licence the software, so in the end it is Gibsons to do with as they wish!

Just one of the myriad reasons why companies spend large sums on lawyers to draft end-user agreements, and to determine the syntax of offers such as these. Not saying there is any blatant deception here, just saying Gibson have used a marketing tool to get some extra cash injected into the business. It is probably needed to fund the rather costly programming effort to bring OSX version to market. They have obviously made economic calculations that offering "lifetime" upgrades will inject cash enough to proceed forward, but the lifetime (in its p.o.v. - if a comapny can have such thing?) is nto going to be long enough to cause much (if any) financial burden on the company.

Yes I know Apple do it with free upgrades to the iOS system, but Gibson do not have the millions of Apple users paying for apps on a daily basis. It is why the Apple model works. It would not work for Gibson imo, well not to the same extent, so one must look "behind and between the lines" for motivations for actions - of course it is speculation, but specualtion based on real world experience of how companies operate. They are not benevolent societies after all

I don't think you understood what I said. This has nothing to do with free software. 

Best
John
Leee
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 783
Re: Sonar Platinum - Being retired soon ??? 2016/06/02 16:48:27 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby dwardzala 2016/06/02 18:11:44
I don't usually get involved with these kinds of posts, but HOLY COW!, I cannot possibly understand how people are saying things like "Time to look for new DAW software", and "This is the thanks I get for all my years of loyalty"
Give me a @#*&ing break!    Sonar Platinum is probably the best piece of software Cakewalk has ever produced.
And it's getting better EVERY MONTH!   There's not much more I can ask for in a music production program.
Sure if you want to nit-pick about colors and coming late to the Mac party, there's a thousand little nit-picks you could probably come up with, right down to the font style of the UI.

Who knows how long anything will last.  The Earth could be destroyed tomorrow, or Sonar Platinum could be around for another 25 years.   Meanwhile, while some of you obsess about the future, I'm enjoying the hell out of the latest release of Sonar Platinum, every single day.

I think you could come out with the perfect piece of software, that's great in every way, and someone will STILL find something to complain about.

Lee Shapiro
www.soundclick.com/leeshapiro

Welcome BandLab and thank you for giving Cakewalk and Sonar a new lease on life.
...wicked
Max Output Level: -1.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7360
Re: Sonar Platinum - Being retired soon ??? 2016/06/02 16:50:08 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby tlw 2016/06/07 06:52:07
guitars53

Says the user with 1 post to their name? I call shenanigans.

===========
The Fog People
===========

Intel i7-4790 
16GB RAM
ASUS Z97 
Roland OctaCapture
Win10/64   

SONAR Platinum 64-bit    
billions VSTs, some of which work    
Zargg
  • Total Posts : 10666
Re: Sonar Platinum - Being retired soon ??? 2016/06/02 16:51:17 (permalink)
Leee

I think you could come out with the perfect piece of software, that's great in every way, and someone will STILL find something to complain about.

I think this is spot on

Ken Nilsen
Zargg
BBZ
Win 10 Pro X64, Cakewalk by Bandlab, SPlat X64, AMD AM3+ fx-8320, 16Gb RAM, RME Ucx (+ ARC), Tascam FW 1884, M-Audio Keystation 61es, *AKAI MPK Pro 25, *Softube Console1, Alesis DM6 USB, Maschine MkII
Laptop setup: Win 10 X64, i5 2.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 320gb 7200 RPM HD, Focusrite Solo, + *

rivers88
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 328
Re: Sonar Platinum - Being retired soon ??? 2016/06/02 17:13:17 (permalink)
guitars53

Wow, that is one heck of a very first post to these forums!
Hmm, makes me wonder if "guitars53" has previously participated / ranted / under a different name... 
letyourlightshine
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 110
Re: Sonar Platinum - Being retired soon ??? 2016/06/02 17:13:19 (permalink)
Sylvan
The Grim
companies are all the same, at the end of the day it is all about what is best for them, their survival first and foremost, everything else is secondary, anyone who tells you different is either deluded or flat out lying.

Wait a minute. Do you mean that companies go into business to make a profit? What nerve! How dare they make decisions based on staying in business! This is an outrage!

They should require their employees to spend 40 hours a week working for free out of the goodness of their hearts while their families starve in the streets, all to make products and services to benefit everyone else.

To actually think that any company could have the audacity and evilness to go into business to make a profit, so they can earn a standard of living for themselves and their families is so vile it should be condemned for all time!

BOOM! You said what I have been thinking ,getting sick of how rediculous  people are being .
post edited by letyourlightshine - 2016/06/03 11:39:02
SupaReels Music
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 370
Re: Sonar Platinum - Being retired soon ??? 2016/06/02 17:21:54 (permalink)
Re-read what has been said all good all bad news all about YOU ! This is a fkn good bit of kit for nicks ... I know how hard it's been to write and then record your own stuff professionally. I've used studios that can't come close to what this stuff does for £100 an hour!! Look behind you .... ARrrrr ......... there's the light.

Midiboy
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 414
Re: Sonar Platinum - Being retired soon ??? 2016/06/02 17:28:46 (permalink)
This may have been mentioned, I honestly didn't feel like reading the whole thread...

First, the Lifetime update deal is a special until the end of August.  Did you miss that?  It's not permanent.  After August, it goes back to the yearly subscription plan.  Also, as stated, the yearly update plan ONLY is for core program updates and enhancements.  Cakewalk will continue to update it, but will also continue to make new things like instrument and effects that you can add to it, FOR A PRICE.  It says that if you read it.  

Also, if you would rather just pay your $200 a year, you go with your bad self.  Have fun with that.  I plan on doing the lifetime upgrade. 

----
Gregg
Midiboy Music
www.facebook.com/midiboygregg

Win10x64 (Eng), Sonar Platinum x64 (Eng w/ lifetime updates), 32GB DDR4 RAM, Intel i7 5820, nVidia 960, Alesis MultiMix 8 USB2 w/ Alesis MultiMix driver. Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88, Korg NanoControl.
joden
Re: Sonar Platinum - Being retired soon ??? 2016/06/02 17:29:24 (permalink)
John
I don't think you understood what I said. This has nothing to do with free software. 

Yep understood you totally...and nope I never said it was about free software - where did you get that from??
sharke
Re: Sonar Platinum - Being retired soon ??? 2016/06/02 17:31:07 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby SteveStrummerUK 2016/06/04 15:27:40
abacab

Words cannot express what I really think about their Monthly/Annual plan for the "Creative Cloud". It is an all you eat buffet of all their creative applications, from Photoshop and Illustrator, to their web & publishing tools. You can download and use them all, similar to CCC.  They are an "industry standard" for graphics professionals, so many depend on them for the tools of their trade.

Their monthly pricing for all that sounds great at first look.  But there's a catch. Stop paying and your software stops working. WTF?  You have created projects in formats that can only be edited and saved with said software.

I've never understood why people think that is a "catch." People go in with the knowledge that they're just renting the software and that they have to keep paying the rental fee for as long as they wish to keep working on their projects. The CC subscription makes excellent sense for business owners and people who might just need the software temporarily for one project. It gives them an opportunity to use Adobe software that would not have been cost effective before.

And so what if the software stops working when you stop subscribing? If you need to work on your projects more you can start the subscription again at any time. Saying that it's a "catch" is like saying that hiring a belt sander comes with the "catch" that you have to give it back and that if you need to touch up your floors in the future, you'll have to hire it again. Software is just a tool, and like all tools there are those who don't need to own them. Subscriptions are an answer to this problem, even Adobe's "stop paying and the software gets turned off" version.

James
gustabo
Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2591
Re: Sonar Platinum - Being retired soon ??? 2016/06/02 17:49:34 (permalink)
guitars53

Says the guy with one post

Cakewalk by Bandlab - Win10 Pro x64 - StudioCat Platinum Studio DAW - 32 GB Ram - MOTU UltraLite-mk3
M-Audio Keystation 88ES - Akai MPD26 (hot-rodded) - Alesis DM10 - a few guitars, a few amps
Novation Launch Control - Korg nanoKONTROL2 - PreSonus FaderPort - DAW Remote HD on iPad
Adam A7X - Behritone C50A
PreSonus Monitor Station v2 (controlling the mons)
https://www.facebook.com/groups/sonarusergroup/

jimkleban
Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1319
Re: Sonar Platinum - Being retired soon ??? 2016/06/02 18:00:14 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby dwardzala 2016/06/02 18:33:08
So, I posted a thread titled, "too good to be true".... wherein i offered a bit of skepticism on the motives of the bakers but I concluded that after all these years that they have, at least from me, bought my support through the high level of professionalism that they have demonstrated.  None of us know where this will go but I am going along for the ride with some BLIND FAITH.

What I did like is that on their banner web page for these new announcements, they included a small section titled, "too good to be true" with some statement that it is this good as of an commitment to their loyal customer base. Which I suggest is how we all should feel.

Now, opening up OS X to SONAR does offer some new possibilities (more in the hardware arena).  I love my iMACs but have been a WINDOWS PC user for years only because of SONAR.  I did a major rebuild last year and was contemplating going the MAC route (switching to PTs) but alas, SONAR kept me on the Windows side of things.  I hope that SONAR becomes stable on a MAC so my next build will be on the APPLE side.

Let's enjoy what we have and see where the future takes us.

Jim

The Lamb Laid Down on MIDI
www.lldom.com

Studio Cat Custom i7 with Thunderbolt (wonderful system built and configured by our own Jim R)
Apollo Duo (via TB)
UAD Quad
UAD Duo
WIN 8.1 x64 with 32 GB Ram
4 SSD for programs and sample libraries
Splat (latest version)
Boscoe
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 56
Re: Sonar Platinum - Being retired soon ??? 2016/06/02 18:08:41 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby tlw 2016/06/07 06:54:44
Lord Tim

This forum SO needs a "like" button...  

-------------------------------------------------
Dell XPS 8700
Win 7 64 pro
Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz
24gb ram
Nvidia Geforce GT 635
E-MU 1616m
Behringer QX1202USB
MIDISport 4x4 Anniversary Edition
Kurzweil K2000VP & K2500RS
Yamaha DTX 2.0 Drums
Roland GI-20 Guitar interface
Roland GK3 Midi Pickup attached to surprisingly not awful cheapo Johnson Strat copy
superdan54
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 526
Re: Sonar Platinum - Being retired soon ??? 2016/06/02 18:13:02 (permalink)
Well in one sense I think the OP is correct. Platinum as we know it now, is already being retired. And by that I mean that the tiered system where we pay more per year to get more extras (synths, fx & tools) is going by the wayside. The lifetime updates pretty clearly stated that only core features will be included in free monthly updates. And it looks like that is being reflected in the #Sonar4You announcement: all future updates listed will be available for all three levels of SONAR. So what we are getting is more akin to the $49/yr Artist subscription model. What we know now as Platinum/Professional additions will be purchased ala carte. So if this years updates had been under the new business model, I would have gotten Smart Solo, Style Dials, Add Track Menu, and many others as a free update. But I would have to purchase separately Ultra Analog Session 2, Lounge Lizard, & Cakewalk Mastering Plugs. This is great b/c it tailors the SONAR experience to each user and Cakewalk in turn saves money by not having to pay expensive licensing fees for stuff users may not use. I, for one, would not have bought any of them, but I would have purchased Drum Replacer & VocalSync using funds I normally would have allotted for my yearly SONAR dues.

What I mean to say is that there's a lot of "too good to be true" pessimism floating around. The truth is that this is both an amazingly generous offer and a viable business model.
Afrodrum
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 559
Re: Sonar Platinum - Being retired soon ??? 2016/06/02 18:24:55 (permalink)
I was suspicious when Gibson came and over the last several months CW gained my trust. I wish I knew how many years lifetime means but I guess Bakers convinced me it is long enough.

Windows 10/64, Intel i7 Xeon X6575 3,07GHz, 24Gb RAM, chipset: Intel X58 Express, Kingston SSD 240Gb,  Sonar Platinum , Edirol UA-25.  (Some extra VSTs: PSP almost all/  IK - AT4, ST3, / AAS - all/ TH3 full/ +10dB/ Melodyne Editor). EVE sc205 monitors, Defil Kosmos guitar, blue lava lamp, ashtray.  And there is some great music you may find at: https://soundcloud.com/pawel-jan-1

abacab
Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4464
Re: Sonar Platinum - Being retired soon ??? 2016/06/02 18:27:47 (permalink)
sharke
abacab

I've never understood why people think that is a "catch." People go in with the knowledge that they're just renting the software and that they have to keep paying the rental fee for as long as they wish to keep working on their projects. The CC subscription makes excellent sense for business owners and people who might just need the software temporarily for one project. It gives them an opportunity to use Adobe software that would not have been cost effective before.

And so what if the software stops working when you stop subscribing? If you need to work on your projects more you can start the subscription again at any time. Saying that it's a "catch" is like saying that hiring a belt sander comes with the "catch" that you have to give it back and that if you need to touch up your floors in the future, you'll have to hire it again. Software is just a tool, and like all tools there are those who don't need to own them. Subscriptions are an answer to this problem, even Adobe's "stop paying and the software gets turned off" version.

You clearly missed the point of my example. Cakewalk's license is perpetual, which means you can stop paying the subscription and you get to keep the working software for the version you have payed up for, indefinitely.

In the case of Adobe, their subscription plan is clearly meant to be a "rental" only plan.  True, they are up front about it. But as an old Photoshop user, I'm not about to jump on that train.  If you think that is not a "catch", you should should see what many long time users of the Adobe CS thought when they were told the only way to upgrade was to "subscribe". 

The argument against that subscription model is that when you create something with a piece of software, the creation belongs to you.  Having to pay up again, to unlock something that you created, just rubbed lots of folks the wrong way.

Call it what you like, but just imagine the sh!tstorm on this forum if Cake ever tried that, LOL!!!

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 8
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1