Helpful ReplySonar Platinum - Being retired soon ???

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 3 of 8
Author
Afrodrum
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 559
Re: Sonar Platinum - Being retired soon ??? 2016/06/02 18:28:00 (permalink)
Deleted
post edited by Afrodrum - 2016/06/02 18:53:22

Windows 10/64, Intel i7 Xeon X6575 3,07GHz, 24Gb RAM, chipset: Intel X58 Express, Kingston SSD 240Gb,  Sonar Platinum , Edirol UA-25.  (Some extra VSTs: PSP almost all/  IK - AT4, ST3, / AAS - all/ TH3 full/ +10dB/ Melodyne Editor). EVE sc205 monitors, Defil Kosmos guitar, blue lava lamp, ashtray.  And there is some great music you may find at: https://soundcloud.com/pawel-jan-1

Anderton
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: Sonar Platinum - Being retired soon ??? 2016/06/02 18:49:34 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ashtangakasha 2016/06/03 01:58:17
joden
I would appreciate them not trying to be so "buddy-buddy" about it, as if all of us (users) and all of them were somehow part of one big "family" all looking out for each other.

So you want us to lie. Duly noted. 

You are certainly free to exempt yourself from being part of a family where everyone looks out for each other. Those who do feel like part of a family will continue to do so. 

Cakewalk is tiny part of Gibson. Cakewalk could fall off the earth tomorrow and it wouldn't make one iota of difference to Gibson Brands, except after the people at corporate eventually realized that it had fallen off the earth, it would make life easier because it would be one less division to track. Anyone who thinks that the profit motive was Gibson's reason for acquiring Cakewalk knows absolutely nothing about business. Even if Cakewalk was the biggest software company in the music industry its contribution to Gibson Brands' bottom line would still be negligible.

This is me speaking - not Cakewalk, not Gibson - but it's incredibly sad that people are so cynical they can't accept that a company truly believes that the only pathway to true success is to have happy customers. To think that Gibson and Cakewalk are simply out to "get" their users flies in the face of everything that's happened since X3 was introduced.

And I'm not even going to get into how much good Gibson has brought to the world through the Gibson Foundation, which does charitable work around the world and whose administrative costs are borne completely by Gibson, not the Foundation. When you buy something from Gibson Brands you are buying clean water for African children, helping cancer victims, those fighting muscular dystrophy, the blind, MusiCares, and a whole lot more...all because Gibson's CEO thinks it's important to give back. And he won't even talk it up because he's doing it to give back, not get credit. He might even chastise me for this rant if he sees it.

Some people do give a damn.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
mcdonalk
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 547
Re: Sonar Platinum - Being retired soon ??? 2016/06/02 18:56:44 (permalink)
Ad hominem attacks and inferences have no place on this forum.
slartabartfast
Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5289
Re: Sonar Platinum - Being retired soon ??? 2016/06/02 19:49:56 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Cromberger 2016/06/03 02:32:00
Dismissing the confusion (skepticism?) among potential buyers as "negativity" is intellectually dishonest. There is no clear contract to either buy or enforce if it is not clear what the meaning of "lifetime" and "core" are in the offer. I do not for one moment believe that there is any kind of scam intended here by Cakewalk. These guys are not intending to take your money and fly to Brazil, but there is a considerable amount of ambiguity that is lending itself to misinterpretation. The few explanations from official sources that have been forthcoming have been instantly buried deep in the bowels of the forum cacophony. Someone accountable at Cakewalk should put together a FAQ for the offer that addresses the legitimate concerns expressed in this and other threads.

SuperDan is raising an interesting point that I have been wondering about as well.
http://forum.cakewalk.com/FindPost/3427905

For some buyers at least, part of the price they were willing to pay, was in expectation that they would be receiving something other than bug fixes and "core" features over the course of a membership. A new Platinum member receives some valuable instruments for example. Those I assume are not "core" features. Someone who bought an upgrade from Producer version to the current Platinum in the last couple of months will apparently (another question) be required to pay an upgrade to the lifetime update at the full $199.00 price. Most of the non-core effects or instruments he received will have been carried over from his X3 Producer version. He may have expected that he would receive additional non-core goodies for the full 12 months. If everyone buying a lifetime upgrade will no longer be receiving any non-core products, then buying the upgrade may represent a downgrade and a loss of his expected value for his investment at least for the year he has paid for, but not yet received. This is hinted at in the $99.00 credit applied for the cost of a lifetime service upgrade for those who currently have an unexpired subscription, but apparently only for those who are on their second consecutive subscription or possibly only for those who subscribed when it was first offered or during an undefined grace period (another question) thereafter. For someone in the 199.00 upgrade category, who was expecting some goodies, and who does not take advantage of lifetime support, does his current unexpired membership actually lose value?

The expectation of those goodies was clearly not something that Cakewalk has done anything to dampen. The fact is that they remained undefined for the most part, and were part of a "trust us great things are coming" marketing communication, that in no way constitutes an enforceable contract. It does however ask for an unusual degree of customer trust to expect them to buy a pig in a poke. Will everyone be receiving non-core goodies until his membership expires, at which time the lifetimers will only get core features and the others will get nothing (expired membership) or will everyone henceforth only be getting core features? Of course, never having been promised  a list of specific non-core goodies, their failure to materialize will be impossible to evaluate from the customer position. I have seen no indication that Cakewalk intends to fork the Platinum distribution, providing non-core goodies for those who decline the lifetime support upgrade until their current year expires, so I assume that henceforth everyone will get the same Platinum for the duration of their subscription, including non-core goodies (another question) presumably with monthly or annual subscribers being offered one time downloads of non-core goodies as an incentive to renew, which lifetimers would have to buy separately on the model of the TV cable introductory offers available to new customers only. It would only take a few carefully written sentences in an easily located web page to clarify this.

Is it being negative or paranoid or disloyal to ask for clarification before buying?
joden
Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1263
Re: Sonar Platinum - Being retired soon ??? 2016/06/02 19:51:38 (permalink)
mcdonalk
Ad hominem attacks and inferences have no place on this forum.

None have been made afaics well at least by me.
post edited by joden - 2016/06/02 20:14:04
joden
Re: Sonar Platinum - Being retired soon ??? 2016/06/02 19:56:30 (permalink)
Anderton
joden
I would appreciate them not trying to be so "buddy-buddy" about it, as if all of us (users) and all of them were somehow part of one big "family" all looking out for each other.

So you want us to lie. Duly noted. 

well, Mr A, just as you are entitled to view things your way, I view them my way - all good! Me, I don't trust companies as far as I could kick them. For the record though I never once asserted that anyone lied...same as someone claimed I was writing about free software, didn't do that either!
bapu
  • Total Posts : 86000
Re: Sonar Platinum - Being retired soon ??? 2016/06/02 19:57:03 (permalink)
abacab
If I was them, I would give the Mac version away for free to all schools and educators :-)

Anderton already let that cat out of the bag maybe 2 or three months ago, as a possible CW strategy. He did that right here on this forum.
bapu
Re: Sonar Platinum - Being retired soon ??? 2016/06/02 19:59:07 (permalink)
abacab
One word: Adobe ...

Words cannot express what I really think about their Monthly/Annual plan for the "Creative Cloud". It is an all you eat buffet of all their creative applications, from Photoshop and Illustrator, to their web & publishing tools. You can download and use them all, similar to CCC.  They are an "industry standard" for graphics professionals, so many depend on them for the tools of their trade.

Their monthly pricing for all that sounds great at first look.  But there's a catch. Stop paying and your software stops working. WTF?  You have created projects in formats that can only be edited and saved with said software.

One more word (actually two):

Slate Digital*
East West Creative Cloud

They use the same model as Adobe.

*Slate still (as of now) offers outright ownership as an option
bapu
Re: Sonar Platinum - Being retired soon ??? 2016/06/02 20:07:30 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Brando 2016/06/02 21:18:16
Boscoe
Lord Tim
How is this in any way a rip off?

You have so many options now. Pay by the month, the yearly membership, and lifetime updates. If you're as cynical as some of the people are in here and like them you assume Cakewalk moves the goalposts in 2 years time with a new name of the product, you're STILL out in front compared to the regular options, which everyone was already quite fine with.

I don't get it. This thread makes my brain ache.

This forum SO needs a "like" button...  

It's called Helpful in the lower right hand corner in each post (except your own of course). Be the first on your block to click it and the poster receives an email telling them you marked it "Helpful".

Yes, sadly it can only be clicked once by one person.
Anderton
Re: Sonar Platinum - Being retired soon ??? 2016/06/02 20:09:52 (permalink)
slartabartfast
Is it being negative or paranoid or disloyal to ask for clarification before buying?

No, but think about it...I've never seen any posts saying "Cakewalk should just provide content and add-ons, I don't care about fixes and enhancements." But I've seen lots of posts with the reverse, and Cakewalk's surveys show having an ultra-stable, reliable program as a priority (the "I already have enough compressors" syndrome ).

So, you pay one time and get all future fixes and enhancements. Suppose Cakewalk had continued with the $150/year upgrade cost. After 5 years, you would have spent $750 and who knows if the "goodies" would have been things you wanted to buy or not.

Now suppose you paid $199 for the updates for life. In five years, you will have spent $199, and whatever discretionary income you wanted to spend on "goodies." You - not Cakewalk - controls how much you spend, and what you buy. I think CW pretty much had to take this approach because at this point, SONAR Platinum provides a very complete virtual studio. I suspect that as the years roll on, fewer people will want "more goodies," and programs will become more a la carte. I think there would be resistance to upgrades where users couldn't choose what the upgrades would include. 

What is completely clear is that you're getting updates and fixes to the SONAR program for life. If you look at what happens when you download the "core" SONAR updates each month, it's usually a pretty substantial list. Imagine what that will add up to over five years, and I think it's easy to make a case that the money spent on lifetime updates will be money well spent. As a bonus, you can choose to buy some, none, or all add-ons, depending on your needs and financial situation.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
bapu
Re: Sonar Platinum - Being retired soon ??? 2016/06/02 20:15:20 (permalink)
superdan54
Well in one sense I think the OP is correct. Platinum as we know it now, is already being retired. And by that I mean that the tiered system where we pay more per year to get more extras (synths, fx & tools) is going by the wayside. The lifetime updates pretty clearly stated that only core features will be included in free monthly updates. 

What you have failed to recognize, IMO, is that CW staffers have CLEARLY stated here in this forum that the annual plan we know today is NOT going away. They have simply added a $99 lifetime updates plan for those Platinum users that bought in Jan 2015 and purchased a renewal in 2016. They also have a $199 for Platinum users who just bought in either in 2016 or just now. Added bonus anyone wanting to upgrade to lifetime Platinum (from Artist or Pro) can do so for the upgrade cost + $199. All of those life time update options go away on August 31. 

The annual Platinum with all bells and whistles is NOT going away. Any Platinum user can opt stay that way. No gun to anyone's head.
Anderton
Re: Sonar Platinum - Being retired soon ??? 2016/06/02 20:17:11 (permalink)
joden

well, Mr A, just as you are entitled to view things your way, I view them my way - all good! Me, I don't trust companies as far as I could kick them.

Well honestly, I don't either. Maybe that's why I've always been self-employed...Gibson was the only company whose corporate philosophy of making money so much of it could be given back made sense to me.

For the record though I never once asserted that anyone lied...

Oh I definitely don't think you lied, I take what you say at face value and I believe you are sincere in what you're saying because hey, it's what you believe. I'm just saying that for me, I really DO believe that all of us are part of one big family all looking out for each other. So for me not to act accordingly would require me to lie.

I'll take it even further: I see SONAR as a partnership between the company and its users, because the community is constantly offering suggestions and in some cases, like with azslow3 or panup, even solutions. In return, Cakewalk prioritizes what people want while taking into account their resources and also, trying to come up with ideas they think will be well-received, even if not suggested and creating a balance of all of the above. User suggestions and advice are all over the software.

Anderton
Re: Sonar Platinum - Being retired soon ??? 2016/06/02 20:20:18 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby backwoods 2016/06/02 20:40:22
bapu
The annual Platinum with all bells and whistles is NOT going away. 

Well, unless everyone signs up for the lifetime updates . At that point the annual thing will become obsolete because no one will be on it!

bapu
Re: Sonar Platinum - Being retired soon ??? 2016/06/02 20:24:05 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Zargg71 2016/06/03 17:51:31
Anderton
bapu
The annual Platinum with all bells and whistles is NOT going away. 

Well, unless everyone signs up for the lifetime updates . At that point the annual thing will become obsolete because no one will be on it!

Excellent point. I could be the rebel, ya?
joden
Re: Sonar Platinum - Being retired soon ??? 2016/06/02 20:27:23 (permalink)
Anderton
joden

well, Mr A, just as you are entitled to view things your way, I view them my way - all good! Me, I don't trust companies as far as I could kick them.

Well honestly, I don't either. Maybe that's why I've always been self-employed...Gibson was the only company whose corporate philosophy of making money so much of it could be given back made sense to me.

For the record though I never once asserted that anyone lied...

Oh I definitely don't think you lied, I take what you say at face value and I believe you are sincere in what you're saying because hey, it's what you believe. I'm just saying that for me, I really DO believe that all of us are part of one big family all looking out for each other. So for me not to act accordingly would require me to lie.

I'll take it even further: I see SONAR as a partnership between the company and its users, because the community is constantly offering suggestions and in some cases, like with azslow3 or panup, even solutions. In return, Cakewalk prioritizes what people want while taking into account their resources and also, trying to come up with ideas they think will be well-received, even if not suggested and creating a balance of all of the above. User suggestions and advice are all over the software.

Yep, fair enough
quest4success
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 104
Re: Sonar Platinum - Being retired soon ??? 2016/06/02 23:42:47 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby sharke 2016/06/03 01:03:10
I bought Fruity Loops in 1995, or sometime around there, with Lifetime Updates.  Splat  is my primary DAW but I just updated, for free,  to Fl Studio 12.  Image-line is still making money and developing their software.  Customers are happy and the product keeps getting better.  Stop the HATING and let Cakewalk handle their business.  Just my $.02. 

Music, as seen, through the eyes of Larry Bynum aka Quest For Success (QFS). 
http://www.thequest4success.com/
Splat, Sweetwater Creation Station-Intel 6th Gen Core i5-6400 2.7GHz (3.3GHz Max Turbo Boost) 32GB RAM, 240GB SSD, 1TB Audio, 1TB Audio. Win 10 64-bit. Focusrite 6i6, Ozone 6, Komplete Kontrol 49, Komplete 12 Ultimate, Maschine Studio, MINILAB mkII, SparkLe, IK Uno Synth, Roland VT-3
noynekker
Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1235
Re: Sonar Platinum - Being retired soon ??? 2016/06/03 00:00:47 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Vastman 2016/06/03 01:38:48
Sorry, I just can't read any more, not another one of these exploratory why did they do it threads, enough, just buy into it or don't, guess I just need to go make some music with my new lifetime software . . . goodnight all.

Cakewalk by Bandlab, Cubase, RME Babyface Pro, Intel i7 3770K @3.5Ghz, Asus P8Z77-VPro/Thunderbolt, 32GB DDR3 RAM, GeForce GTX 660 Ti, 250 GB OS SSD, 2TB HDD samples, Win 10 Pro 64 bit, backed up by Macrium Reflect, Novation Impulse 61 Midi Key Controller, Tannoy Active Near Field Monitors, Guitars by Vantage, Gibson, Yamaki and Ovation.

BobbyT
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 107
Re: Sonar Platinum - Being retired soon ??? 2016/06/03 01:46:19 (permalink)
just my opinion,i've been using cakewalk for sometime now on a PC and compared to some of the other venders that support mac and windows software i dont think that we're gonna lose anything because cake is adding in support for mac machines.i have had software on my pc that supports mac and pc well for many years and there still goin strong and i think Sonar can and will pull the same thing off,they would have to show me other wise but i believe it can be done with Splat as well,why not? i'm one of those persons that hate having to learn a new piece of software after putting the time in that i have in learning Sonar,i'm now comfortable with it and know it really well at this point.so forgive me forum friends and family i have some tracks to throw down and a mix to sweetin up in Platinum tonight.

Piece and good tracking and stop worrying so much...
...wicked
Max Output Level: -1.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7360
Re: Sonar Platinum - Being retired soon ??? 2016/06/03 02:01:31 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Bristol_Jonesey 2016/06/03 09:21:33
Can we weigh forum posts against the August deadline? So, folks who are doubting and negative get less time? Like, NO TIME AT ALL? I think come September anyone who hasn't picked up on this ridiculous deal are going to cut their own throats with their paranoia. I've never seen such antipathy over such an amazing deal, these people are truly frickin' insane. It's the actual reward for being a loyal customer and they are pooping on it.

===========
The Fog People
===========

Intel i7-4790 
16GB RAM
ASUS Z97 
Roland OctaCapture
Win10/64   

SONAR Platinum 64-bit    
billions VSTs, some of which work    
tenfoot
Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2186
Re: Sonar Platinum - Being retired soon ??? 2016/06/03 03:06:56 (permalink)
bapu
The annual Platinum with all bells and whistles is NOT going away. Any Platinum user can opt stay that way. No gun to anyone's head.

Is this correct? I would gladly stay on yearly payments if it is. I thought Cakewalk stated that the lifetime monthly update will be identical to the Monthly/Yearly membership update, which means it is core only sans bells and whistles.

My head hurts.
post edited by tenfoot - 2016/06/03 03:38:16

Bruce.

Sonar Platinum 2017-09, Studio One 3.5.3, Win 10 x64, Quad core i7, RME Fireface, Behringer X32 Producer, Behringer X32 Rack, Presonus Faderport, Lemure Software Controller (Android), Enttec DMXIS VST lighting controller, Xtempo POK.
ralf
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 205
Re: Sonar Platinum - Being retired soon ??? 2016/06/03 06:58:08 (permalink)
The following question raised by slartabartfast and others still has not been answered: Will non-lifetime membership be reduced to core-features as well? If so, won't those members get less than announced for their price?

According to the FAQ, there will be no difference in features and content between monthly, annual, or lifetime membership. But it also has been said that lifetime membership is limited to core features, so non-core features like drum-replacer or free content like the drum production video should be no longer included from now on. This seems to apply to non-lifetime members as well.

The other question of course is if there will be annual membership again after the limited time offer for lifetime membership. Could be the usual marketing pressure resulting in "The offer was received very well by our customers, so we decided to keep it permanent." (As if that wasn't the plan from the very beginning.) We will see ...

About the question if lifetime membership is feasible, I think Cakewalk should know what they are doing. I agree that having satisfied customers and a good reputation is too important for a company like Cakewalk that they could abuse lifetime membership as a rip-off. Also, the Mac version together with the announcement that it will be free for customers with an active membership implies that Sonar should still exist for some years. It would make no sense to develop and release a Mac version for a software just to end the product line shortly after.
ramscapri
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 316
Re: Sonar Platinum - Being retired soon ??? 2016/06/03 07:19:43 (permalink)
ralf

But it also has been said that lifetime membership is limited to core features, so non-core features like drum-replacer or free content like the drum production video should be no longer included from now on.

This is where things are being so misunderstood. Why can't it be the other way around ? Things like Drum replacer, Vocal sync, Melodyne within Sonar, TH3 version within Sonar, etc., are VERY MUCH PART of the SONAR updates, they have to be and they better be. Why are these assumed to be non-core features ? They are integrated within Sonar and are NOT standalones which can be purchased or used separately. Its the upgrades higher than these that will be payable, that is, higher versions of Melodyne (like editor), the full TH3 producer version, etc. This has always been the case. And this remains the same whichever membership one is on, whether monthly, annual or lifetime.

Why are we assuming that these will be separate ? Over and above, the ones that will be clearly separate are things like Rapture Pro, additional Pro channel modules, priced expansion packs, etc. And this has always been the case even before the lifetime option was announced. I think this clarity has been provided time and again by various Cakewalk staff. So its meaningless for users to draw conclusions about the core and non-core. Its quite clear that core does not mean only the executable, it means everything that comes integrated within the Sonar main program which gets included as part of the monthly updates content. There is no reason to believe any different from this unless any Cakewalk staff has anything different to say. And if any unfavorable change to this understanding is communicated at later stages, it sure won't go the pleasant way with users.

Sonar Platinum ∞, HP Envy Core i7-4700 Quadcore touchscreen laptop, 16 GB RAM, Windows 10 64-bit, Roland Octacapture, Zoom H6, Akai MPK Mini mk2, Novation Launchpad Mini mk2, NI Komplete 11, KRK KNS-8400, AKG P120
John
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 30467
Re: Sonar Platinum - Being retired soon ??? 2016/06/03 07:21:46 (permalink)
What makes you think there is going to be any reduction? That is an assumption without evidence. Keep in mind this. Platinum is not just built in features its also the bundled add ons. Otherwise it wouldn't be Platinum.   

Best
John
ralf
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 205
Re: Sonar Platinum - Being retired soon ??? 2016/06/03 07:57:08 (permalink)
First, the phrase with "core-features" etc. was not in the monthly/annual membership product pages, but has been added for lifetime membership. So it looks like something changed here.

Second, Cakewalk is very vague about this, so they are causing the confusion or "misunderstanding" about this issue themselves. Obviously, I'm far from being the only one who is not sure about how this will be handled.

Third, drum-replacer and "maybe" vocal-sync have been named explicitely by Cakewalk officials as examples for non-core features. Similar for bonus content like some (third-party) effects or instruments (IIRC).

Finally, I already opted for lifetime membership and I'm fine if it concentrates on core-features. I'm not complaining. I'm just asking for clarity to know what to expect. And clarity was for sure not the strong side of this announcement. (Mainly because they leaked the lifetime membership beforehand.)
Brando
Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2776
Re: Sonar Platinum - Being retired soon ??? 2016/06/03 08:10:59 (permalink)
noynekker
Sorry, I just can't read any more, not another one of these exploratory why did they do it threads, enough, just buy into it or don't, guess I just need to go make some music with my new lifetime software . . . goodnight all.

LOL. All of the "insight" - by people who don't have any real idea but like to imagine they do. The conspiracy theories suggesting Cake are really setting out to lose money, or to take our money and run.
The way I look at it is there was a lot of angst when Cake announced the membership model (nobody would support it, Cake would go out of business, they couldn't deliver monthly updates, etc etc) - Cake delivered on ALL of it - and exceeded expectations.
I jumped on the lifetime updates, and I am confident Cake not only knows what they are doing, but are absolutely committed to growth and delivering on their plans. I wish Cake and all of its current and future customers the best of luck and the best of success. As a (LIFETIME!) customer, I am going to enjoy the ride. (But yes, I too am going to stop reading these counter-productive threads).

Brando
Cakewalk, Studio One Pro, Reaper
Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL
ASUS Prime Z370-A LGA1151, 32GB DDR4, Intel 8700K i7, 500 GB SSD, 3 x 1TB HDD, Windows 10 Pro 64
dcumpian
Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4124
Re: Sonar Platinum - Being retired soon ??? 2016/06/03 08:16:03 (permalink)
abacab
One word: Adobe ...

Words cannot express what I really think about their Monthly/Annual plan for the "Creative Cloud". It is an all you eat buffet of all their creative applications, from Photoshop and Illustrator, to their web & publishing tools. You can download and use them all, similar to CCC.  They are an "industry standard" for graphics professionals, so many depend on them for the tools of their trade.

Their monthly pricing for all that sounds great at first look.  But there's a catch. Stop paying and your software stops working.

Yep. I like that model so much that I forked out $299 for Capture One.

Dan

Mixing is all about control.

My music:
http://dancumpian.bandcamp.com/ or https://soundcloud.com/dcumpian Studiocat Advanced Studio DAW (Intel i5 3550 @ 3.7GHz, Z77 motherboard, 16GB Ram, lots of HDDs), Sonar Plat, Mackie 1604, PreSonus Audiobox 44VSL, ESI 4x4 Midi Interface, Ibanez Bass, Custom Fender Mexi-Strat, NI S88, Roland JV-2080 & MDB-1, Komplete, Omnisphere, Lots o' plugins.    
ramscapri
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 316
Re: Sonar Platinum - Being retired soon ??? 2016/06/03 08:31:24 (permalink)

Well, even if there is this confusion about what "core" is all about, its still very clear that irrespective of which membership one is on, whether monthly, annual or lifetime, it applies the same to all.

So, whats the point of confusion or indecision really ? Is it merely about "core" OR is it about whether to go for lifetime instead of remaining on monthly/annual ? Because if its the latter, its an unwarranted and meaningless confusion because it doesn't make a difference which plan one is on, you get the same content irrespective. Cakewalk staff have confirmed this more than once.

But yes, if its about what the content really is and what "core" really means, that confusion is justified but it still applies the same way to all membership plans. At the moment, I trust that the content will be everything and nothing will be reduced, otherwise there would be no meaning to the "Platinum" version. Any significant reduction could mean disaster and I seriously don't think Cakewalk are going that route. Or so I hope and believe quite strongly.

Now really, lets explore the world of beautiful music for goodness sake. 

post edited by ramscapri - 2016/06/03 08:53:12

Sonar Platinum ∞, HP Envy Core i7-4700 Quadcore touchscreen laptop, 16 GB RAM, Windows 10 64-bit, Roland Octacapture, Zoom H6, Akai MPK Mini mk2, Novation Launchpad Mini mk2, NI Komplete 11, KRK KNS-8400, AKG P120
Bristol_Jonesey
  • Total Posts : 16775
Re: Sonar Platinum - Being retired soon ??? 2016/06/03 08:51:49 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Zargg71 2016/06/03 18:00:19
guitars53
I agree with you. Sounds like a rip off. This may be the last straw. I've been a Cakewalk user for many, many years. But it may be time to make a change. Studio One maybe. Anyway, very frustrated after all the years of my loyalty.

Sorry, but ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

Tell us who you really work for

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
superdan54
  • Total Posts : 526
Re: Sonar Platinum - Being retired soon ??? 2016/06/03 10:19:22 (permalink)
bapu
superdan54
Well in one sense I think the OP is correct. Platinum as we know it now, is already being retired. And by that I mean that the tiered system where we pay more per year to get more extras (synths, fx & tools) is going by the wayside. The lifetime updates pretty clearly stated that only core features will be included in free monthly updates. 

What you have failed to recognize, IMO, is that CW staffers have CLEARLY stated here in this forum that the annual plan we know today is NOT going away. They have simply added a $99 lifetime updates plan for those Platinum users that bought in Jan 2015 and purchased a renewal in 2016. They also have a $199 for Platinum users who just bought in either in 2016 or just now. Added bonus anyone wanting to upgrade to lifetime Platinum (from Artist or Pro) can do so for the upgrade cost + $199. All of those life time update options go away on August 31. 

I know they have said that SONAR will still be available as an annual plan, but have they said that all three SONAR flavors will be available? If so, that could really get confusing. You'd have one subset of Platinum owners who would be getting Platinum only features automatically, and another set of Platinum owners who wouldn't, since the lifetime membership only includes Core features.
superdan54
  • Total Posts : 526
Re: Sonar Platinum - Being retired soon ??? 2016/06/03 11:05:07 (permalink)
Well it looks like I'm not the only one confused by the annual/lifetime Platinum paradox, as this thread is addressing it specifically. I'll stay tuned there and hopefully a CW rep will clear it up for us.

http://forum.cakewalk.com...-payment-m3428160.aspx

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 3 of 8
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1