Sonar X1 Helper Utility - Beta 2 Available Now (Update: 8th Jan, 11:38 GMT, See Post #1)

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 7
Author
Keni
Max Output Level: -17.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5769
Re:New 'Sonar X1 Helper' Utility - Beta Testers Required 2011/01/07 17:47:34 (permalink)
benstat

Keni

ampfixer

Kudos Benstat! I'm watching this thread with great interest. I hope the users don't wear you down to a tiny little nub. Let's remember folks, this is freeware being built by somebody who actually has a life that's not funded by Cakewalk. I hope Benstat is at the NAMM booth hosted by Cakewalk. OR, beside the their booth.

Absolutely Noted and Appreciated...

I must say it's hard to hold back as I feel such a nedd for fixes... and he's the only one responding (Tho Cakewalk probably is but not telling us)...

I hope Ben knows to tell us to backoff when he's tired! ;-)

Well it's fine so far! It's a nice little project to get my teeth into.

Enjoy the bite! (But careful not to chip any teeth... ;-))

Keni Fink
Keni - Facebook
Deep Space Records
http://www.reverbnation.com/inexile
http://www.cdbaby.com/artist/inexile
Out Of My Head Music (BMI)

SPlat/MacPro/Dual Xeon 3.06GHz 6-core (12 total)/64GB/Win8.1X64/Presonus 1818VSL/Soundscape SS8IO-1
benstat
Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 972
Re:Sonar X1 Helper Utility - Beta 2 Available Now (7th Jan, 22:14 GMT, See Post #1) 2011/01/07 17:53:09 (permalink)
Here is the list of bug fixes and improvements in beta 2 (in no particular order):

1. Added a new 'Hide Multidock on startup' Preferences option.
2. Changed the Preferences window to be a fixed size to avoid window resizing issues.
3. Added a new 'Switch to Full Screen Mode on startup' Preferences option.
4. Added a new 'Startup' tab in Preferences which groups all the startup options for convenience.
5. The Preferences window now has OK/Cancel buttons that work as expected (eg. you can change lots of settings but then cancel them all).
6. Minor improvements to Preferences layout.
7. 'Don't show this message again' message windows are no longer resizable, avoiding some layout issues.
8. 'Don't show this message again' now works properly, and is remembered between sessions.
10. When you click a Helper toolbar button, the input focus is immediately moved back to Sonar, avoiding some keyboard issues.
11. The 'Welcome' message is now read only (you could edit it before!).
12. All Browser features now work when the Browser is docked in the Multidock.
13. You can now show/hide the Multidock when in Full Screen Mode.
14. Helper no longer crashes when no project is currently open, and Multidock/Browser buttons are pressed.
15. Helper now hopefully works with Studio and Essential. Awaiting confirmation from Studio/Essential owners.

New known issues (in addition to those listed in post #35, which I have yet to update because a lot of them have been fixed now):

1. When Helper starts and goes straight into Full Screen Mode (via the new Preferences startup option), the Windows Taskbar is still visible. Doesn't seem to have any negative effects though, and the Windows Taskbar disappears as soon as you click on Sonar.
2. If you add Helper to the Sonar 'Utilities' menu, then move the Helper files to a different folder, the Utilities menu option no longer works.
3. Possible issue with updating Helper to a new version that might cause the Utilities menu option to stop working. Guess we'll find out for sure now!
4. Multi monitor problems? Helper hasn't been tested properly in multi-monitor systems. Help needed please!
5. When in Full Screen Mode, showing/hiding the Multidock works fine (as far as I can tell), but the screen does flicker a lot. Could be improved.
6. Changing Browser colours. Highlighted item color isn't always consistent.

I've had lots of suggestions, lots of which are possible, but for now I think I should just finish off version 1.
post edited by benstat - 2011/01/07 17:56:50

My DAW: Intel i5, Cakewalk UA-1G, Win7 64 bit, SONAR X1a Producer 64 bit
koolbass
Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 853
Re:Sonar X1 Helper Utility - Beta 2 Available Now (7th Jan, 22:14 GMT, See Post #1) 2011/01/07 17:54:49 (permalink)
This is a GREAT thing Ben.  Many thanx!!

Cheers,
Lance "koolbass" Martin

Sonar Platinum, Sound Forge Pro 12, ADK built audio computer: Intel 8 core i7 Haswell-E overclocked 4.2GHz; 32 Gig DDR4/2666 ram; Corsair 850W power; Windows Pro 10 x64; Geforce GTX 980 video w/4 monitors (Acer 27" touch screen/primary); 3 Seagate drives - OS, audio, samples, 2 TB external USB3 bkup drive; RME MADIface XT; Ferrofish A16 MKII ADDA; Lucid GenX 6-96 clock

www.BoogieHouseMusic.com
rbowser
Max Output Level: -10 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6518
Re:New 'Sonar X1 Helper' Utility - Beta Testers Required 2011/01/07 17:58:47 (permalink)
benstat

I've just made beta 2 available and changed the title of this thread accordingly. You can download it here:

http://www.staton.co.uk/downloads/sonarx1helper_v0.9.1.0.zip

I'll post a list of improvements soon.

I didn't intend to release a new version so soon, but rbowser and king_weasel highlighted the fact that the original version doesn't work with Studio or Essential, so I did a quick fix (hopefully anyway, rbowser and king_weasel - please let me know if it works or not).

[Edit: Don't expect too much - it's mainly bug fixes.]

There ya go, that fixed it Ben.  Back from shopping, amazed to see that while I was gone, you've updated the Helper with this Studio version fix.  After I posted earlier, I suspected that using X1 Studio was the problem. 

Now I've run it, everything's going as advertised.  Great!

I understand that Helper is a program distinct from X1, and so its settings are independent, so opening a project won't bring up whatever settings we had going in Helper.  But I'm not sure if I understand what the preferred method is of opening Helper.  What I've done is create a shortcut for down in my computer's task bar, right next to the X1 icon.  That's OK isn't it?

One more question - the 8th button from the left, not sure what the icon is.  I think that's running/stopping the Audio engine?

Amazing that you did all this Ben - wow - thanks!

Randy B.

Sonar X3e Studio
Roland A-800 MIDI keyboard controller
Alesis i|O2 interface
Gigabyte Technology-AMD Phenom II @ 3 GHz
8 Gb RAM 6 Core Windows 7 Home Premium x64
with dual monitors
rbowser
Re:New 'Sonar X1 Helper' Utility - Beta Testers Required 2011/01/07 18:01:53 (permalink)
--a separate post so you're more likely to see the post:

--The reason I created a shortcut in my task bar is because Helper isn't showing up in my Utilities list, even though I've checked that option and re-started X1.  After several tries - it's not appearing.-- ?

RB

Sonar X3e Studio
Alesis i|O2 interface
with dual monitors
Keni
Re:New 'Sonar X1 Helper' Utility - Beta Testers Required 2011/01/07 18:06:58 (permalink)
Thanks Ben...

I'm having a bit of trouble with the 9.1... It may be due to changing from 9.0... but here it is...

I placed it in a different folder so as not to eliminate the old...

I open X1 then minimize the window to get at the shortcut I've placed on my desktop...

Then I max X1 again...

First result I notice is that Helper opened underneath the TV... It took me a moment to find it...

I checked the boxes to hide multidock and full screen at startup...

I then realized I had to open 9.0 to remove it from the menu, so I closed 9.0 and opened 9.0 where I unchecked and removed it from the menu..

Then I closed Sonar

RE-launch Sonar and load a project...
minimize sonar and launch Helper from my desktop

Received the following message:

Sonar X1 Helper

Sorry, the following error occurred:

"Unexpected Sonar window ShowCmd status "ShowMinimized" when changing Multidock Visibility."

Sonar X1 Helper will now close...

As it now won't open, I tried to open it first thinking that it may only work when launching X1 thru Helper... that resulted in the following error message:

Sonar X1 Helper

Sorry, the following errer occurred:

"Index was outside the bounds of the array."

Sonar X1 Helper will now close.

I'm pretty sure the last one is due to needing Sonar open first, but I was trying to get around the non-opening 9.1...

So now I'm gonna unpack a fresh copy that doesn't have my choices checked and try one at a time...

Whatcha' think?

Keni

post edited by Keni - 2011/01/07 18:13:24

Keni Fink
Keni - Facebook
Deep Space Records

SPlat/MacPro/Dual Xeon 3.06GHz 6-core (12 total)/64GB/Win8.1X64/Presonus 1818VSL/Soundscape SS8IO-1
benstat
Re:New 'Sonar X1 Helper' Utility - Beta Testers Required 2011/01/07 18:14:12 (permalink)
rbowser

benstat

I've just made beta 2 available and changed the title of this thread accordingly. You can download it here:

I didn't intend to release a new version so soon, but rbowser and king_weasel highlighted the fact that the original version doesn't work with Studio or Essential, so I did a quick fix (hopefully anyway, rbowser and king_weasel - please let me know if it works or not).

There ya go, that fixed it Ben.  Back from shopping, amazed to see that while I was gone, you've updated the Helper with this Studio version fix.  After I posted earlier, I suspected that using X1 Studio was the problem. 

I understand that Helper is a program distinct from X1, and so its settings are independent, so opening a project won't bring up whatever settings we had going in Helper.  But I'm not sure if I understand what the preferred method is of opening Helper.  What I've done is create a shortcut for down in my computer's task bar, right next to the X1 icon.  That's OK isn't it?

One more question - the 8th button from the left, not sure what the icon is.  I think that's running/stopping the Audio engine?

Randy B.
Hi Randy,
That's a releif, thanks. Now I just need confirmation that it works with Essential from someone.
As it stands, this is the correct order to open Sonar/Helper:
1. Run Sonar X1.
2. Run Helper (SonarX1Helper.exe, extracted from the .zip file).
You can also add Helper to the Sonar 'Utilities' menu, which I find very convenient (ie. run Sonar, then select 'Sonar X1 Helper' from the Sonar 'Utilities' menu). To add it, do this:
1. Firstly run Sonar X1.
2. Now go to the Sonar X1 Helper folder (where you extracted the .zip file) in Windows Explorer.
3. Right click 'SonarX1Helper.exe' and choose 'Run as administrator'.
4. You should see the Helper toolbar appear in Sonar if all is well.
5. Now go to the Helper 'Preferences' window by clicking the preferences button second from right.
6. In the 'General' tab, tick the 'Add Sonar X1 Helper to the Sonar Utilities menu' option.
7. Restart Sonar X1, and then you will find Sonar X1 Helper in the Utilities menu. You can quickly run Helper whenever you open Sonar via this menu option.
BTW, this is currently the only registry option that Helper changes. It doesn't change any other registry options, or any Sonar files whatsoever. I wanted to keep it 'clean' and easy to install/uninstall.
Oh, the 8th button from the left expands all the Browser plugin folders (or at least is should do). There are no options to run/stop the audio option, so if Helper is doing that somehow then I need to know about it!
Let me know how you get on.
Thanks,
Ben

[Edit: Just saw your other post about the Utilities menu. Need to investigate. Leave it with me.]
post edited by benstat - 2011/01/07 18:15:32

benstat
Re:New 'Sonar X1 Helper' Utility - Beta Testers Required 2011/01/07 18:19:39 (permalink)
Keni

Thanks Ben...

I'm having a bit of trouble with the 9.1... It may be due to changing from 9.0... but here it is...

I placed it in a different folder so as not to eliminate the old...

I open X1 then minimize the window to get at the shortcut I've placed on my desktop...

Then I max X1 again...

First result I notice is that Helper opened underneath the TV... It took me a moment to find it...

I checked the boxes to hide multidock and full screen at startup...

I then realized I had to open 9.0 to remove it from the menu, so I closed 9.0 and opened 9.0 where I unchecked and removed it from the menu..

Then I closed Sonar

RE-launch Sonar and load a project...
minimize sonar and launch Helper from my desktop

Received the following message:

Sonar X1 Helper

Sorry, the following error occurred:

"Unexpected Sonar window ShowCmd status "ShowMinimized" when changing Multidock Visibility."

Sonar X1 Helper will now close...

As it now won't open, I tried to open it first thinking that it may only work when launching X1 thru Helper... that resulted in the following error message:

Sonar X1 Helper

Sorry, the following errer occurred:

"Index was outside the bounds of the array."

Sonar X1 Helper will now close.

I'm pretty sure the last one is due to needing Sonar open first, but I was trying to get around the non-opening 9.1...

So now I'm gonna unpack a fresh copy that doesn't have my choices checked and try one at a time...

Whatcha' think?

Keni

Hmm. Fixed in Studio and Essential but broken in Producer?!? I'm on it. If you're relying on Helper then I suggest you revert to beta 1 (0.9). This is why I shouldn't have rushed the new version out.

benstat
Re:New 'Sonar X1 Helper' Utility - Beta Testers Required 2011/01/07 18:27:31 (permalink)
Hi Keni,
Please try resetting all of your preferences via the 'Configuration' tab in Preferences, and let me know how it behaves after that.
Thanks,
Ben

rbowser
Re:New 'Sonar X1 Helper' Utility - Beta Testers Required 2011/01/07 18:30:13 (permalink)
benstat

rbowser

benstat

Randy B.
Hi Randy,
That's a releif, thanks. Now I just need confirmation that it works with Essential from someone.
As it stands, this is the correct order to open Sonar/Helper:
1. Run Sonar X1.
2. Run Helper (SonarX1Helper.exe, extracted from the .zip file).
You can also add Helper to the Sonar 'Utilities' menu, which I find very convenient (ie. run Sonar, then select 'Sonar X1 Helper' from the Sonar 'Utilities' menu). To add it, do this:
1. Firstly run Sonar X1.
2. Now go to the Sonar X1 Helper folder (where you extracted the .zip file) in Windows Explorer.
3. Right click 'SonarX1Helper.exe' and choose 'Run as administrator'.
4. You should see the Helper toolbar appear in Sonar if all is well.
5. Now go to the Helper 'Preferences' window by clicking the preferences button second from right.
6. In the 'General' tab, tick the 'Add Sonar X1 Helper to the Sonar Utilities menu' option.
7. Restart Sonar X1, and then you will find Sonar X1 Helper in the Utilities menu. You can quickly run Helper whenever you open Sonar via this menu option.
BTW, this is currently the only registry option that Helper changes. It doesn't change any other registry options, or any Sonar files whatsoever. I wanted to keep it 'clean' and easy to install/uninstall.
Oh, the 8th button from the left expands all the Browser plugin folders (or at least is should do). There are no options to run/stop the audio option, so if Helper is doing that somehow then I need to know about it!
Let me know how you get on.
Thanks,
Ben

[Edit: Just saw your other post about the Utilities menu. Need to investigate. Leave it with me.]

I see you have your hands full now, Ben, with the Helper maybe broken now for Producer. - And I see you've noticed my post now about it now showing up in the Utilities menu.  I went back in again.  The box is still checked in the Preference pop-up, to have Helper in the X1 Utilities tab - but it's still not showing up.

Thanks for explaining the 8th button.  I was just guessing what it was doing because of the slight flicker when buttons are pushed - I thought maybe it was doing something with the Run/Start button.  Now I see - yes, it expands all the plug-in folders in the Browser.---Interesting--I take it that was a request from people that you noticed, so you implemented it?-- I'm just the opposite, wanting all my folders closed so I don't have so much to wade through.  I expand and shrink folders as need - So I guess I'll skip that button. 

But it all seems to be working - except for appearing under Utilities.  I'm using the shortcut I made in my system tray.

RB

Sonar X3e Studio
Alesis i|O2 interface
with dual monitors
EricDeluxe
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 428
Re:Sonar X1 Helper Utility - Beta 2 Available Now (7th Jan, 22:14 GMT, See Post #1) 2011/01/07 18:30:29 (permalink)
Hey

What work:) Great features there!

http://soundcloud.com/ericdeluxe - my harder side
https://soundcloud.com/cirque-du-sonique my softer side
Sonar Platinum, Windows 10 (64 bit), MOTU Ultralite MK3 Hybrid, Novation SL MKII 25, NI KORE 2, NI Maschine, NI Komplete 9, Yamaha HS50m, AKG K240S, AKG Perception 200, Z3TA 2+, Soundtoys Native Effects, PSP Mixpack 2, several VSTs
benstat
Re:New 'Sonar X1 Helper' Utility - Beta Testers Required 2011/01/07 18:39:09 (permalink)
rbowser

Interesting--I take it that was a request from people that you noticed, so you implemented it?-- I'm just the opposite, wanting all my folders closed so I don't have so much to wade through.  I expand and shrink folders as need - So I guess I'll skip that button. 

RB
Thanks for the update Randy. I'm having trouble duplicating Keni's problem which makes it difficult to fix. Still investigating.
The expand all plug-in folders thing was actually one of the things I really wanted straight away, and was the very first thing I added to Helper for my own use. Just goes to show that different people use Sonar in very different ways!
Anyway, a not too distant update will allow you to select exactly which buttons you want to show in the Helper toolbar.

Keni
Re:New 'Sonar X1 Helper' Utility - Beta Testers Required 2011/01/07 18:39:36 (permalink)
benstat

Hi Keni,
Please try resetting all of your preferences via the 'Configuration' tab in Preferences, and let me know how it behaves after that.
Thanks,
Ben

Hi Ben...

I'm trying, but I can't get 9.1 to open. I continue to get those same error messages... 9.0 continues to work... Neither are in the menu system. Both launched from desktop...

I deleted the unpacked copy in which I changed those settings and unpacked a fresh copy... It still won't open giving the same error messages... So I've started looking for it in the registry... but I still haven't found such...

What do you think I should try so that I can get it back to defualts? Can I somehow change the config without opening 9.1?

Thanks... It's good that you released it as these might still have occurred and this brought "it" to the surface fast... ;-)

Keep up the good work!

Keni

Keni Fink
Keni - Facebook
Deep Space Records

roughly
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 479
Re:New 'Sonar X1 Helper' Utility - Beta Testers Required 2011/01/07 18:49:31 (permalink)
see this is the right track, users making 'it' happen. Benstat, dude you inspire. I really hope you are at least getting sonar for free now. Feel free to make a track strip tool that puts buttons like phase polarity, freeze and PRV back on too :) -jeffrey 

www.callthecow.com
benstat
Re:New 'Sonar X1 Helper' Utility - Beta Testers Required 2011/01/07 18:49:54 (permalink)
Keni

benstat

Hi Keni,
Thanks,
Ben

Hi Ben...

I'm trying, but I can't get 9.1 to open. I continue to get those same error messages... 9.0 continues to work... Neither are in the menu system. Both launched from desktop...

I deleted the unpacked copy in which I changed those settings and unpacked a fresh copy... It still won't open giving the same error messages... So I've started looking for it in the registry... but I still haven't found such...

What do you think I should try so that I can get it back to defualts? Can I somehow change the config without opening 9.1?

Thanks... It's good that you released it as these might still have occurred and this brought "it" to the surface fast... ;-)

Keep up the good work!

Keni

Hi Keni,
I'm having difficulty in reproducing this, so I think we need to go back to square one.
If you have the time, I'd be grateful if you would do the following.
1. Ignore the 'Sonar X1 Helper' option in the Sonar 'Utilities' menu. For now, we'll pretend it's not there as it just complicates things.
2. Ignore your folder that contains the original beta 1 release of Sonar X1 Helper (version 0.9).
3. Run Sonar X1.
3. Run beta 2 (version 0.9.1) of Helper.
4. Open the Helper Preferences window.
5. Go to the 'Configuration' tab.
6. In the 'Configuration File' section, look for the 'Sonar X1 Helper preferences are stored in the following file:' text box.
7. What I want you to do is open the folder in Windows Explorer that contains the Sonar X1 Helper user.config file as detailed in the step above.
8. If you can do that (sorry, I have no idea if you are a computer genius or complete technophobe), let me know and we'll take it from there.
Thanks Keni! I'd like to fix this ASAP.
Ben

benstat
Re:New 'Sonar X1 Helper' Utility - Beta Testers Required 2011/01/07 18:53:14 (permalink)
By the way, I have no doubt that this is a real problem that needs fixing, but I do wonder if anyone else is seeing this with the new beta 2 version? If so, perhaps you can help narrow this down...

rbowser
Re:New 'Sonar X1 Helper' Utility - Beta Testers Required 2011/01/07 19:01:59 (permalink)
benstat

rbowser

Interesting--I take it that was a request from people that you noticed, so you implemented it?-- I'm just the opposite, wanting all my folders closed so I don't have so much to wade through.  I expand and shrink folders as need - So I guess I'll skip that button. 

RB
Thanks for the update Randy. I'm having trouble duplicating Keni's problem which makes it difficult to fix. Still investigating.
The expand all plug-in folders thing was actually one of the things I really wanted straight away, and was the very first thing I added to Helper for my own use. Just goes to show that different people use Sonar in very different ways!
Anyway, a not too distant update will allow you to select exactly which buttons you want to show in the Helper toolbar.

You're doing great, Ben.  My comment about expanding the Plug-in folders wasn't a criticism, I think you understand.  I was just curious how that was chosen.  For someone who wants to see the whole list at once, that's great.

So for me at this point, being able to add the Helper to the Utilities list is the only thing not happening.  I guess this is right that every time I open the Helper with my shortcut, I have the run program pop-up.  It's not re-installing, but that's what it looks like.  All that matters is that I am able to open the Helper and its toolbar appears in X1. 

RB

Sonar X3e Studio
Alesis i|O2 interface
with dual monitors
benstat
Re:New 'Sonar X1 Helper' Utility - Beta Testers Required 2011/01/07 19:16:34 (permalink)
Hold fire Keni. I may have managed to repro it...

Keni
Re:New 'Sonar X1 Helper' Utility - Beta Testers Required 2011/01/07 19:23:59 (permalink)
benstat

By the way, I have no doubt that this is a real problem that needs fixing, but I do wonder if anyone else is seeing this with the new beta 2 version? If so, perhaps you can help narrow this down...

I'm having trouble getting a copy of 9.1 to open...

..as I mentioned previously I deleted the old copy with the changed settings and unzipped a fresh copy... Yet it still won't open... and I can't find any registry entries related to it (I have previoulsy removed it from the menu... Each time I open it's from a shortcut on the desktop whih I make fresh each time I've unzipped the packages...

I'm about to re-boot...

Keni

Keni Fink
Keni - Facebook
Deep Space Records

Keni
Re:New 'Sonar X1 Helper' Utility - Beta Testers Required 2011/01/07 19:31:53 (permalink)
Hmmm...

Even after a re-boot, 9.1 will not open continuing to give me the same error message... this is another freshly unzipped copy...

...and I don't think it's a defective download, as the first opened and worked fine until I tried the double auto-hide (I never tried a single one)...

I'll download it again... just in case...

Keni

Keni Fink
Keni - Facebook
Deep Space Records

John
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 30467
Re:New 'Sonar X1 Helper' Utility - Beta Testers Required 2011/01/07 19:32:48 (permalink)
When I DLed the new version all I did was replace the old file with the new one. I have Helper in the x86 programs folder under Cakewalk in its own folder as Ben instructed. I run X1 64 bit.

I guess I should add I didn't have any problems.
post edited by John - 2011/01/07 19:35:30

Best
John
koikane
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 397
Re:Sonar X1 Helper Utility - Beta 2 Available Now (7th Jan, 22:14 GMT, See Post #1) 2011/01/07 19:37:39 (permalink)
I have watched the X1 posts for over a month now, usually I upgrade to the next version after I see the reactions of the members here,  but do to all the negative feedback I did not this time, simply stayed trucking with 8.5.3. 

Funny how users have taken it upon themselves to make this release right.  Also, I find it not so funny that none of the forum moderators have chimed in yet on this post. You can bet they have the design team in over the weekend trying to combat Benstat's "user update release".  They must not have taken you seriously that simply things like an undo/redo button and save button might be fun to use.

Even if the layout is better in the long run, developers need to remember that they are the ones that taught us to use menus in certain ways, drop downs in certain ways and even work flow (even if at times it does not make the best sense we get used to it)

I relate this to how Windows 7 is now compared to all previous versions. No matter how much I try I still like the "My computer" and "Start Menu" of XP/ME/all other versions better than 7. Call me old fashioned but "they," taught us this way.

Sometimes change does suck, to many times we say "don't be afraid of change," however when the "change" sucks, they users rebel.  This is a classic episode that we have never seen since the likes of "Exporting to Tracks," in Cubase 3 when the forum moderators actually made the users ap a Sticky. 

I may just break down and buy X1 now. Cakewalk should take a closer look at what users want and not the future.

My $.02!

If it's not in the mix, it's not in the master 
http://www.soundclick.com/kandd
https://soundcloud.com/user-121927816
Motu MK3, Tascam-DM24, Lucid Work Clocked & Powercore Firewire
Windows 10 64 bit, MSI MOBO, Intel i7-3770 @ 3.40GHz, 16 gigs of ram
Sonar Platinum, some Plugins, crud, junk, some wires and stuff
Keni
Re:Sonar X1 Helper Utility - Beta 2 Available Now (7th Jan, 22:14 GMT, See Post #1) 2011/01/07 19:42:25 (permalink)
Hi Ben...

I just opened the config file of a freshly downloaded, unzipped copy and 9.1 will not open... these attempts have been after a re-boot...

The config file shows the status of those two selections (multidock/full-screen) as false which I suspect is the correct default values... so it's not opening for some other reason... I'm about to open task manager and look at what processes might attract my attention... ;-)

Keni

Keni Fink
Keni - Facebook
Deep Space Records

benstat
Re:New 'Sonar X1 Helper' Utility - Beta Testers Required 2011/01/07 19:45:52 (permalink)
I've uploaded what Microsoft might call a 'hotfix'. You can download it here:

http://www.staton.co.uk/downloads/sonarx1helper_v0.9.1.1.zip

It might fix your problem Keni (I did find & fix something fairly important that needed sorting out, but it didn't give me the same error you had). If you still have problems:
1. Close Sonar.
2. Then run Sonar again.
3. Then run the new verision of Helper.
4. Open the Helper Preferences window.
5. Open the 'Configuration' tab.
6. Click the 'Open Config Folder' button.
7. Windows Explorer should pop up in a Sonar X1 Helper folder. If it does, delete ALL of the folders within it.
8. Close Sonar X1.
9. Run Sonar again, and then run the latest Helper.

What happens?

I'm really sorry, I must go to bed now (it's 1am here and I have youg kids so I'll have to get up early). I hope this fixes it for you (and anyone else Keni). If not, rest assured I will be dedicating as much time as necessary to getting it sorted ASAP (ie. within a day or two).

So tired now. Must rest!

Keni
Re:Sonar X1 Helper Utility - Beta 2 Available Now (7th Jan, 22:14 GMT, See Post #1) 2011/01/07 19:46:58 (permalink)
AHA!

I found a way to open it!

I have to open Helper BEFORE I open a project.... ?

BTW... It is also still not remembering it's location....

it's also having trouble shutting down.
When I click on the Yes to verify closing Helper I get the following

"Unable to find Multidock window" Sonar X1 Helper will now close.
Clicking OK leaves the dialog window and the only way I got out of it was when I clicked on the close button (X in upper right corner) a drop down menu appeared in my lower screen which allowed me to click close... but that closed Sonar as well as helper...

Keni Fink
Keni - Facebook
Deep Space Records

Keni
Re:Sonar X1 Helper Utility - Beta 2 Available Now (7th Jan, 22:14 GMT, See Post #1) 2011/01/07 19:49:36 (permalink)
Hmmm...

I opened the settings for Helper and found both the multidock and full-screen options checked as I had changed them long ago...

So I unchecked them and now Helper closes better... I will try each individually...

Keni

Keni Fink
Keni - Facebook
Deep Space Records

benstat
Re:Sonar X1 Helper Utility - Beta 2 Available Now (7th Jan, 22:14 GMT, See Post #1) 2011/01/07 19:54:16 (permalink)
koikane

I have watched the X1 posts for over a month now, usually I upgrade to the next version after I see the reactions of the members here,  but do to all the negative feedback I did not this time, simply stayed trucking with 8.5.3. 

Funny how users have taken it upon themselves to make this release right.  Also, I find it not so funny that none of the forum moderators have chimed in yet on this post. You can bet they have the design team in over the weekend trying to combat Benstat's "user update release".  They must not have taken you seriously that simply things like an undo/redo button and save button might be fun to use.

Even if the layout is better in the long run, developers need to remember that they are the ones that taught us to use menus in certain ways, drop downs in certain ways and even work flow (even if at times it does not make the best sense we get used to it)

I relate this to how Windows 7 is now compared to all previous versions. No matter how much I try I still like the "My computer" and "Start Menu" of XP/ME/all other versions better than 7. Call me old fashioned but "they," taught us this way.

Sometimes change does suck, to many times we say "don't be afraid of change," however when the "change" sucks, they users rebel.  This is a classic episode that we have never seen since the likes of "Exporting to Tracks," in Cubase 3 when the forum moderators actually made the users ap a Sticky. 

I may just break down and buy X1 now. Cakewalk should take a closer look at what users want and not the future.

My $.02!

Had to respond to this. I hear what you're saying, but I'd like to make it clear that I am all in favour of change when it comes to Sonar. I have been waiting for Cakewalk to revamp the UI since about Sonar 6, and I am glad they did. I much prefer the new UI to the old one. IMO, they have taken the time to rewrite a lot of the 'under the hood' stuff (in 8 & 8.5), and now they've done it with the new UI too. What they've ended up with is a 'clean slate' that is ripe for new development and improvement. I'm glad they took a new approach with X1, and it was long overdue IMO. I believe (well, hope!) that they will render my utility completely obsolete within a few updates.

Basically I think Cakewalk are on the right tracks. I hope that Helper is merely filling a temporary gap.

To bed! Good luck Keni, let me know how you get on...

benstat
Re:Sonar X1 Helper Utility - Beta 2 Available Now (7th Jan, 22:14 GMT, See Post #1) 2011/01/07 19:57:50 (permalink)
Keni

Hmmm...

I opened the settings for Helper and found both the multidock and full-screen options checked as I had changed them long ago...

So I unchecked them and now Helper closes better... I will try each individually...

Keni

Hi Keni,
Thanks for the update. Your last two posts (#145 & #146), are they with the very latest version I posted within the last 15 mins (version 0.9.1.1, in post #144)?
That's it, I really am going to bed now.
I promise I'll carry on with this tomorrow.
Thanks again,
Ben

benstat
Re:Sonar X1 Helper Utility - Beta 2 Available Now (7th Jan, 22:14 GMT, See Post #1) 2011/01/07 20:00:12 (permalink)
Finally - to anyone else reading this:

If you download either of the two versions I released tonight (0.9.1 & 0.9.1.1), I advise NOT to enable the following options in Preferences:

'Switch to Full Screen Mode on startup'
'Hide the Multidock on startup'

Keni
Re:Sonar X1 Helper Utility - Beta 2 Available Now (7th Jan, 22:14 GMT, See Post #1) 2011/01/07 20:01:39 (permalink)
I Now clicked Hide Multidock on startup and I'm back to the old problem (same messages and 9.1 won't open... )

So I redid it once more...

I now see that helper is back to working fine when neither of the auto-open items are enabled... I can't use either of them yet (hide multidock or full screen mode auto-on-startup causes all the difficulty...

Keni

Keni Fink
Keni - Facebook
Deep Space Records

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 7
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1