Helpful ReplyLockedSonar X3d or X4 wishlist

Page: < 12345 > Showing page 3 of 5
Author
shmuelyosef
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 178
Re: Sonar X3d or X4 wishlist 2014/07/24 20:58:49 (permalink)
miditus
MIX VERSIONS:
I'm wishing that someday a feature called MIX VERSIONS will be implemented. My vision about MIX VERSIONS is having an unlimited number of mixes/settings in a single project/song/cwp file. Meaning you can recall a certain mix within a project with a push of a button. You store a particular mix version in a button, With this implemented, you can cycle thru a certain mix with a push of button. Maybe you have a mix with lower bass or a whatever you desire. If possible, automation(vol, pan, mute, etc.....) and plugin setting can also be stored in a mix version with a corresponding description text. IT WILL BE A GREAT FEATURE. :-) At least for me.

I wonder if this feature is already implemented in ProTools.

This is similar to the SCREENSHOT feature.

you can do this with any I/O hardware that has multiple outs and a half-decent software mixer. I use Saffire Pro 40, and with MixControl, you can set up a monitor mix and save it. Then you can switch them from a pull-down as you play back. 

- Sonar Platinum 64-bit; Reaper; Ableton Live 9; Samplitude
- PugetSystems Serenity Mini: WIN 10-PRO 64-bit; Intel Quad i7-4670 turbo to 3.8GHz; 16GB RAM; ASUS Gryphon Z89 - Antec P180 case. 
- Focusrite Saffire Pro 40
- DSI OB-6 (love child of a Prophet and an Oberheim)
- NORD Electro 3HP
- Roland XP-10
- Customized Fender-Rhodes Dyno Stage 73
shmuelyosef
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 178
Re: Sonar X3d or X4 wishlist 2014/07/24 21:02:36 (permalink)
Timo Finkbeiner
Wow, many many wishes.
I just want for the moment improvements for notation. As many people here wrote months and years ago, this part of sonar is still not on a level it should be, especially when comparing to the other parts of sonar. Comparing to other daw's like cubase, samplitude (those I know), logic and so on, it is amateurish -  for years now!!!

For example it is not possible to print just a part of music, you have to print the whole music. Or does anybody know how to do this?

I don't want Sonar to have big Notation features like Cubase, but now it is time for little improvements.

Kind regards,
Timo

Programs like Sibelius have gotten cheap enough and enable ReWire to move the MIDI...this is not something that probably has high value for Cakewalk, as anyone making charts or arrangements for a living would use Sibelius, Finale or equivalent for output.

- Sonar Platinum 64-bit; Reaper; Ableton Live 9; Samplitude
- PugetSystems Serenity Mini: WIN 10-PRO 64-bit; Intel Quad i7-4670 turbo to 3.8GHz; 16GB RAM; ASUS Gryphon Z89 - Antec P180 case. 
- Focusrite Saffire Pro 40
- DSI OB-6 (love child of a Prophet and an Oberheim)
- NORD Electro 3HP
- Roland XP-10
- Customized Fender-Rhodes Dyno Stage 73
Splat
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8672
Re: Sonar X3d or X4 wishlist 2014/07/24 21:05:20 (permalink)
miditus
MIX VERSIONS: I'm wishing that someday a feature called MIX VERSIONS will be implemented. My vision about MIX VERSIONS is having an unlimited number of mixes/settings in a single project/song/cwp file. Meaning you can recall a certain mix within a project with a push of a button. You store a particular mix version in a button, With this implemented, you can cycle thru a certain mix with a push of button. Maybe you have a mix with lower bass or a whatever you desire. If possible, automation(vol, pan, mute, etc.....) and plugin setting can also be stored in a mix version with a corresponding description text. IT WILL BE A GREAT FEATURE. :-) At least for me.
I wonder if this feature is already implemented in ProTools.
This is similar to the SCREENSHOT feature.

shmuelyosef you can do this with any I/O hardware that has multiple outs and a half-decent software mixer. I use Saffire Pro 40, and with MixControl, you can set up a monitor mix and save it. Then you can switch them from a pull-down as you play back. 

.. with Mix Control "multiple mixes" is really only there for recording and zero latency.
You can't automate it, no real use for actually mixing.

It really seems to me they want multiple projects that open quickly perhaps under a single master project file (much like a 3D Excel spreadsheet) and better ways to navigate open projects. That could be possible but quite a lot of memory could be taken up caching the background project/s that aren't being used (memory that could be used elsewhere). If you've got loads of RAM however you might not be worried about it.

To some extent it happens now as Sonar can open multiple projects.

Sell by date at 9000 posts. Do not feed.
@48/24 & 128 buffers latency is 367 with offset of 38.

Sonar Platinum(64 bit),Win 8.1(64 bit),Saffire Pro 40(Firewire),Mix Control = 3.4,Firewire=VIA,Dell Studio XPS 8100(Intel Core i7 CPU 2.93 Ghz/16 Gb),4 x Seagate ST31500341AS (mirrored),GeForce GTX 460,Yamaha DGX-505 keyboard,Roland A-300PRO,Roland SPD-30 V2,FD-8,Triggera Krigg,Shure SM7B,Yamaha HS5.Maschine Studio+Komplete 9 Ultimate+Kontrol Z1.Addictive Keys,Izotope Nectar elements,Overloud Bundle,Geist.Acronis True Image 2014.
miditus
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 53
Re: Sonar X3d or X4 wishlist 2014/07/24 22:04:33 (permalink)
Anderton
jmasno5
miditus
CakeAlexS
Isn't that called a project? Admittedy it takes two or three clicks not one to open up another project.

Nope. I don't want to open another project with different mix. This is within a single project where you can call up a particular mix versions instantly without opening another project. You know, sometimes, opening another project takes time specially if the project has a bunch of VIs with samples in it. You cannot afford a client to wait while the project is loading.

Imagine having 92 mix versions(correct me if i'm wrong :-)) of Billie Jean within a single project and calling each version in an instant without the hassle of loading another project. Bruce Sweden would be very happy. :-)

Hope you get the idea. After all, it's just an idea. :-)

I would love this feature.

Me too. Of all the wish list items here, this is probably the one I would use the most. You can do the same thing by saving lots of projects and calling them up, but the load time for a complex remix can be considerable. Being able to switch back and forth rapidly within a single project would be great.

This would also make it really easy to consolidate things like vocals up +1, vocals down -1 in a single project instead of having to duplicate tracks or save new projects. For remixes it would be killer, because you could easily try out different radical changes.

I'm sure there are complications in implementing it - how fast could you switch from one set of automation curves to another, and whether you could cut automation from one version and paste into another...but I think this has a lot of potential, at least for the kind of work I do.

IF (hopefully) implemented well, Sonar will be on top of the game and there will be lots of converts in my opinion. I'm just being hopeful and positive that cakewalk developers can find a way. :-)
Jürgen Gleisberg
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 102
Re: Sonar X3d or X4 wishlist 2014/07/25 06:31:21 (permalink)
shmuelyosef
Timo Finkbeiner
Wow, many many wishes.
I just want for the moment improvements for notation. As many people here wrote months and years ago, this part of sonar is still not on a level it should be, especially when comparing to the other parts of sonar. Comparing to other daw's like cubase, samplitude (those I know), logic and so on, it is amateurish -  for years now!!!

For example it is not possible to print just a part of music, you have to print the whole music. Or does anybody know how to do this?

I don't want Sonar to have big Notation features like Cubase, but now it is time for little improvements.

Kind regards,
Timo

Programs like Sibelius have gotten cheap enough and enable ReWire to move the MIDI...this is not something that probably has high value for Cakewalk, as anyone making charts or arrangements for a living would use Sibelius, Finale or equivalent for output.

Hello,
when I look at the price of sibelius, I wouldn't speak of a cheap software and I don't have the need to print sheets like a professional. Sibelius is more expensive then sonar! All I want is the possibility of printing and handling sheets in a more comfortable way. Maybe like in Samplitude oder Logic, not as much as possible in cubase.

But does it really work with rewire and sibelius in sonar without problems? Are there other notation software supporting rewire? Does anybody know?

Timo
Jürgen Gleisberg
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 102
Re: Sonar X3d or X4 wishlist 2014/07/25 06:37:23 (permalink)
Hello,
ok I saw there is Sibelius First as a smaller version  of Sibelius which also supports rewire and the price is not as high as for Sibelius. I will try the trial Version next days. Maybe that's what I´m looking for. Thanks.

Timo
Loptec
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 948
Re: Sonar X3d or X4 wishlist 2014/07/25 11:13:40 (permalink)
markyzno
Drag and drop from windows explorer, the browser in Sonar doesnt cut it for me.

This is already possible.. or am I missing something? I can drag and drop anything from explorer directly into Sonar. If you can't maybe you need to run Sonar as admin or something?

SAMUEL LIDSTRÖM

DAW: Sonar Platinum (64bit) with Melodyne Studio - Controllers: Roland VS-700C, Cakewalk A-500 Pro, Yamaha P90
Desktop Audio Interface: RME HDSPe RayDAT - Laptop Audio Interface: RME Babyface Pro

WallyG
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 833
Re: Sonar X3d or X4 wishlist 2014/07/25 12:01:26 (permalink)
Timo Finkbeiner
shmuelyosef
Timo Finkbeiner
Wow, many many wishes.

Kind regards,
Timo

Hello,
when I look at the price of sibelius, I wouldn't speak of a cheap software and I don't have the need to print sheets like a professional. Sibelius is more expensive then sonar! All I want is the possibility of printing and handling sheets in a more comfortable way...

Timo

If you want Sibelius (normally $599.95) for less than half price, first buy notion (I happened to already own a copy of notion, a great program, but I wanted more features) for $99.95 and then cross grade to Sibelius 7.5 for $199.95. Total is 299.90. Two hundred dollars less than Sonar X3 Producer.
Walt

Roland Jupiter 80, Roland D50, Roland Integra 7, Roland BK-7m, Yamaha Montage 6, ARP Odyssey, Excelsior Continental Artist, Roland FR-8X, 1967 Fender Jaguar, Fender Strat,  Fender 1965 Twin Reverb reissue, Selmer Trumpet, Akai EWI, Studio One 4 Professional, Melodyne Studio 4, Behringer X-Touch, RME Fireface UCX, MOTU MIDI Express XT - ADK Pro Audio Hex Xtreme 6 Core i7 4.5GHz, 64GB, 480GB SS, 3 X 3TB Hard Drives, Win 10, 2 X 27" & 1X 46" Monitors,
My WEB site - www.gontowski.com/music
TerraSin
Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1975
Re: Sonar X3d or X4 wishlist 2014/07/27 04:29:13 (permalink)
dubdisciple
Terrasin.
I'm all for lynda etc making more resources available. I did not mean to imply EVERYONE just needed free videos, blog, manual, etc. I just meant it is not reasonable to expect cakewalk to give that away. Groove3 makes good videos as well as own Karl. These cost but both are reasonable. Cakewalk has given out 30 day groove3 passes in the past and discounted training videos to almost nothing.

Never said they should give it away. I said it should be available for a price. I wouldn't expect Cake to put together an extensive educational series on their program and just give it away. As I said in my original post, Groove3 and the videos Cake puts on youtube are good getting started resources and little tips and tricks, but I'm talking about something more advanced. If you look over at Lynda, their courses are geared towards people who are trying to get to the more "professional" bracket by teaching all aspects of the programs rather than brief overviews.
Anderton
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: Sonar X3d or X4 wishlist 2014/07/27 11:57:26 (permalink)
Loptec
markyzno
Drag and drop from windows explorer, the browser in Sonar doesnt cut it for me.

This is already possible.. or am I missing something? I can drag and drop anything from explorer directly into Sonar. If you can't maybe you need to run Sonar as admin or something?

There was a thread about this a while ago. It's a Windows issue; this thread explains the situation, and offers a solution in addition to the one (i.e., don't run as Admin) mentioned in the thread.

However - Although Cakewalk hasn't really made a big deal about this, there have been several browser enhancements in X3 and the updates, such as bi-directional flow and the project audio being accessible. I wrote an article detailing these features. I rarely used the browser when it was introduced but after taking another look at it, realized it had become much more capable and now I use it all the time.

My one remaining browser gripe is that search doesn't look within folders. If they would fix that, the browser would do everything I want it to do. (Yes, I filed a feature request. Fingers crossed.)

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
dubdisciple
Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5849
Re: Sonar X3d or X4 wishlist 2014/07/27 15:53:33 (permalink)
TerraSin
dubdisciple
Terrasin.
I'm all for lynda etc making more resources available. I did not mean to imply EVERYONE just needed free videos, blog, manual, etc. I just meant it is not reasonable to expect cakewalk to give that away. Groove3 makes good videos as well as own Karl. These cost but both are reasonable. Cakewalk has given out 30 day groove3 passes in the past and discounted training videos to almost nothing.

Never said they should give it away. I said it should be available for a price. I wouldn't expect Cake to put together an extensive educational series on their program and just give it away. As I said in my original post, Groove3 and the videos Cake puts on youtube are good getting started resources and little tips and tricks, but I'm talking about something more advanced. If you look over at Lynda, their courses are geared towards people who are trying to get to the more "professional" bracket by teaching all aspects of the programs rather than brief overviews.

I think I misunderstood you. I will note that advanced tutorials have been put out for Sonar. Craig Anderton released a couple that included things beyond basic. I wonder if sales were sufficient for them to expand.
Splat
Re: Sonar X3d or X4 wishlist 2014/07/27 19:52:58 (permalink)

Sonar Platinum(64 bit),Win 8.1(64 bit),Saffire Pro 40(Firewire),Mix Control = 3.4,Firewire=VIA,Dell Studio XPS 8100(Intel Core i7 CPU 2.93 Ghz/16 Gb),4 x Seagate ST31500341AS (mirrored),GeForce GTX 460,Yamaha DGX-505 keyboard,Roland A-300PRO,Roland SPD-30 V2,FD-8,Triggera Krigg,Shure SM7B,Yamaha HS5.Maschine Studio+Komplete 9 Ultimate+Kontrol Z1.Addictive Keys,Izotope Nectar elements,Overloud Bundle,Geist.Acronis True Image 2014.
Splat
Re: Sonar X3d or X4 wishlist 2014/07/27 19:54:32 (permalink)
I'm not sure it's a windows issue Craig as I can do drag and drop in other apps running as admin or not. Regardless it's easily resolved... Don't run Sonar as admin as you say (it should be avoided), if you have plugins that rely on it give the registry settings for the plugin appropriate permissions (google search forums for further details on how to do it). Registrations may need Sonar to be run as admin as a one time operation (such as Dim Pro).

Oh and I wish they would totally revamp the browser to be more like NI. It needs work.

Cheers..

TomHelvey
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 537
Re: Sonar X3d or X4 wishlist 2014/07/27 23:54:30 (permalink)
Timo Finkbeiner
Wow, many many wishes.

Kind regards,
Timo

You can print parts or whole scores, it just depends on what you have in the staff view at the time. With CutePDF and gscript you can also render to a pdf file. I've used the print function to send parts to the drummer and bass player on occasion. I haven't tried printing just a couple measures if that's what you want to do.
It would be nice to see a couple sprints focusing on the staff view. :)

System: i7-6900, 64Gb, AMI X99 Carbon Pro Gaming, AMD Radeon HD 7700, Win 10 Pro
PCIe: UAD Octo
USB: MOTU midi express 128, OB-6 Module, Akai MPK-249, Moog SUB 37, Antelope Orion 32 HD, Softube Console 1, iLok, eLicenser
DAW: Cubase Pro, Ableton Live, Sonar Platinum
Plugins: Waves, UAD, Xfer, Lennar Digital, u-he, Reveal Sound, Spectrasonics, SoundToys, VPS, Blue Cat, iZotope, NI, Valhalla, Lexicon, etc.

https://soundcloud.com/thomas-helvey
Anderton
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: Sonar X3d or X4 wishlist 2014/07/28 00:48:30 (permalink)
CakeAlexS
I'm not sure it's a windows issue Craig as I can do drag and drop in other apps running as admin or not.

I don't think it's about running as admin, but launching as admin. This article talks about it in a Windows context that has nothing to do with Sonar.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
Splat
Re: Sonar X3d or X4 wishlist 2014/07/28 08:50:12 (permalink)
If you want to be specific more it's 'run as administrator' user account permissions. Evelvation. Launching is not really anything to do with authority it's just execution.

The link you reference to is useful I assume for those who insist to run as admin thanks however I still maintain the best way is to avoid running as admin and assigning higher level permissions to badly designed plugins via the registry.

Cheers.

lawp
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1154
Re: Sonar X3d or X4 wishlist 2014/07/28 09:24:43 (permalink)
i prefer to lunch with my administrator

sstteerreeoo ffllllaanngge
Jyri T.
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 280
Re: Sonar X3d or X4 wishlist 2014/08/07 08:51:20 (permalink)
Conjoin Clips which makes parallel audio clips on separate tracks to act as one when it comes to any destructive editing.

Say, if you edit one clip with Audio Snap, all will change the same way. This way you don't have to worry about sync and phase issues.
Jyri T.
Re: Sonar X3d or X4 wishlist 2014/08/07 08:58:59 (permalink)
Better loudness information.

I want an option of RMS-based waveforms.
I want to get a one-mouse-click access to the RMS values (peak with a user-definable time window and average) of a clip.
I want to get loudness information in the new LUFS / EBU R128 scale.

Jyri T.
Re: Sonar X3d or X4 wishlist 2014/08/07 09:02:07 (permalink)
Better stability.

Make the core work solidly and forget the bells and whistles and the kitchen sink. You can sell them separately to those who need it.
Jyri T.
Re: Sonar X3d or X4 wishlist 2014/08/07 09:08:00 (permalink)
Better FX bins.

Make it larger and matrix-like (for parallel processing) with a pan, vol and mix-% for each 'channel'.
Jyri T.
Re: Sonar X3d or X4 wishlist 2014/08/07 09:11:28 (permalink)
Better Audio Snap.

In one sentence: make it threshold-based and it will actually work.
Jyri T.
Re: Sonar X3d or X4 wishlist 2014/08/07 09:16:44 (permalink)
RMS-normalizing.

With an option for stereo or dual-mono (both channels normalized separately).
equality
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 716
Re: Sonar X3d or X4 wishlist 2014/08/08 19:11:22 (permalink)
1) Simplyfied Take Lanes option. Sorry, I still don't get the benifits. The earlier workflow with layers was much easier. 
2) Dedicated audio editor (like in Cubase) when double click on an audio clip. I never use the Loop Constructor.
3) A "duplicate midi note remove tool" in PRV. It's quite tricky to observe a note overlay!

Otherwise I am happy with X3e. Thanks for stability improvements! 

Intel Core i7 - 2600K 3,4GHz 16GB RAM Asus P8Z68-V SSD 2 x (Corsair 120 GB Force 3) 2 x (Seagate S-ATA 250 GB) 1 USB Seagate 1 TB  VS-100 Sonar X1d, X2a and X3d.
kson
  • Total Posts : 540
Re: Sonar X3d or X4 wishlist 2014/08/10 01:55:41 (permalink)
I'd like to see:

• Incorporated Mastering Suite - like Presonus Studio One
  • Chord Track - like Cubase
kson
Re: Sonar X3d or X4 wishlist 2014/08/10 01:55:26 (permalink)
I'd like to see:

• Chord Track - like Cubase
Thatsastrat
Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1267
Re: Sonar X3d or X4 wishlist 2014/08/10 13:50:42 (permalink)
kson
I'd like to see:

+1

Sonar Platimum, Win10 32bit, Quad Q6600,4G DDR2 Ram, BCF2000, Lexicon Lambda interface,Tascam US 1800, WD 500 GB HD, M-Audio AV40 Monitors, Line 6 DI Gold, Guitar Rig 5 Pro, hand full of guitars, Kawia PH50 Keyboard,Digitech GNX3
http://www.soundclick.com/thatsastrat/%3C/a%3E
http://www.myspace.com/thatsastrat/music
Splat
Re: Sonar X3d or X4 wishlist 2014/08/10 19:42:54 (permalink)
Agreed how much more are you gonna pay for it? :)

Thatsastrat
Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1267
Re: Sonar X3d or X4 wishlist 2014/08/11 02:32:06 (permalink)
CakeAlexS
Agreed how much more are you gonna pay for it? :)

No more than you :)
Hey they could make it an add-on, that way if you didn't want it, you wouldn't have to buy it.

Sonar Platimum, Win10 32bit, Quad Q6600,4G DDR2 Ram, BCF2000, Lexicon Lambda interface,Tascam US 1800, WD 500 GB HD, M-Audio AV40 Monitors, Line 6 DI Gold, Guitar Rig 5 Pro, hand full of guitars, Kawia PH50 Keyboard,Digitech GNX3
http://www.soundclick.com/thatsastrat/%3C/a%3E
http://www.myspace.com/thatsastrat/music
kson
Re: Sonar X3d or X4 wishlist 2014/08/11 13:20:51 (permalink)
I'd pay more for it.  They're both outstanding features.  They can do it as an add-on if they so desire.
Page: < 12345 > Showing page 3 of 5
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1