Helpful ReplySonar v/ Protools

Page: < 12345 > Showing page 4 of 5
Author
Jeff Evans
Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5139
Re: Sonar v/ Protools 2014/02/01 03:23:17 (permalink)
Sanderxpander
I wasn't there, all I know is they used a big Mac with SSDs and RME based MADI.
I thought 192 was a lot, when would you ever record 700 stereo tracks at once??

Movie soundtracks. Lord of the Rings had something like 750 audio tracks. They used to use 3 PT systems all synced up because of the 250 track limit but now they can do it all on one machine because the limit is now 768 tracks.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
Sanderxpander
Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3873
Re: Sonar v/ Protools 2014/02/01 04:10:29 (permalink)
I'll take your word for it, though I honestly still find it hard to actually think up 700 stereo sources :)
Jeff Evans
Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5139
Re: Sonar v/ Protools 2014/02/01 04:29:09 (permalink)
Yeah I think things get pretty busy in a big movie soundtrack. 250 tracks each for music, dialogue and effects. There would rarely be everything playing at once, they like to put lots of things on their own tracks.

The effects tracks could get pretty busy. (large battle scenes for example) Lots of dialogue stuff too. And music, well could be lots of cues residing on many track just waiting their turn.

I agree for us mere mortals those sort of track numbers are a bit hard to comprehend. PT can handle it all though I believe. Some of the track counts get pretty large even on some larger music productions.

I thnk we have gone a bit mad these days with track numbers considering in the 60's they were doing it with just four.

When I studied my Jazz degree many years ago I was always very surprised how much sound just 3 or 4 musicians could make when they had to. Massive wall of sound coming from a very small number of people.

I try and keep track counts right down rather than just pile them up.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
Sanderxpander
Re: Sonar v/ Protools 2014/02/01 05:02:53 (permalink)
I can understand huge mixes, I was talking about simultaneous recording sources.
kitekrazy
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 174
Re: Sonar v/ Protools 2014/02/02 00:18:17 (permalink)
VigilantSound
Sanderxpanda: You say hits have been made on every DAW out there? It would be interesting to see a few examples..

I realize that a "hit" is subjective but I would consider anything that has went gold to be a hit or even winning an Grammy. I think audio for video games wouldn't count unless it had an actual music hit our sound track.

I know that Ricky Martin's living la Vito loco was said to be the first track mixed completely ITB in Pro Tools and become a "hit"

Ableton has skrillex who has won a Grammy.. (edit- auto spell doesn't like ableton)

I googled hits recorded with pro tools and also hits recorded in sonar but didn't find much.

Can anyone verify any "hits" made Sonar or any other DAW?
 )

That's because Pro Tools is a mastering app. You're wrong if you think Skillrex spit their directly from Ableton to CD.  If you are under a major label, you produce your music in whatever DAW of choice and then it gets sent to the guys who get paid to master tracks and they are either using Nuendo or Pro Tools.

Sanderxpander
Re: Sonar v/ Protools 2014/02/02 05:11:28 (permalink)
Or Wavelab, or Sequoia/Samplitude.
I really don't see ProTools as a mastering app. Perhaps only because it's standard and you do need something to play a stereo track and host plugins.
Sir Les
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1182
Re: Sonar v/ Protools 2014/02/02 08:57:09 (permalink)
Hello all.

Oh Yah..some say...."We have to feed the cash Cows, who are making un-standard standards standard"...and play along with their offerings of "sacrifice" onto us to conform to Pay and Pray, for the time being....amen?..or change them un-standards saying "Industry standard" """Pro""" to sleeping sheep, and feed the grass with a few dandelions for the bitter truths posted on their forums!....opps another change some may need to have as backup plan X?....     LOL....As to be Professional...is to be in part Perfect at what it/they is/are suppose to do.
Now that is reliant on many Factors, and the users of it...and then some standard or measure used to judge it by, that should never change.

If it does not perform perfectly ...then it is not PERFECT, and thus cannot be PROFFESSIONAL.
if it does, then it is....and there is no wiggle room in that regard.

So where have there been issues?...OS, Hardware, Software, plug ins,...and all have this issue, if upon those issues it is built or reliant on each other for rendering out that product of Perfect in standards...as all things keep changing with one or the other or all involved in to make one work towards!

So where is the PROFFESSIONAL in PRO as in PERFECTNESS in being ?....there is none!...at this time line.
All have bugs, all have issues, all are in a state of change continually moving the shell around to make more dosh end up in the till!

And with that noted...the next update is coming always!...So where is the standard standards in that?

And as such it cannot be called PROFESSIONAL anything!...cause it is never PERFECT!...as yet to be announced by any of them claiming to be PRO...eh?

So feed which ever camp floats your boat...but remember always there will be holes to plug!...and cash to spend on fixing, updating, and eventually finishing what you wanted to do....in some form of almost if to a standard of...perfection!=measure of standard that does not change...as it should be perfect in someones IDEAL that should be taken for all, if it applies to all..in all for all...(and even that is changing)..MP3?....oh well..

That is for the mind melding of Truth to be Truth about it...on PC or Mac based systems...at this time line always under change...and reliant on Gear/OS, that seems to be in a state of flux and change continually...and the consumers or cash givers...also having change being imposed by technologies changing choices availible.

Just saying....if the standards are based on un-standard standards, or constant change (no standards) ..then how can it claim to be perfect or professional if these factors are at its base line construct?

I Guess once they make it perfect...it should stay the same!= standard...cause there is nothing better than Perfect.

So...they may claim, and toot, and such in PRO meaning something...But if it is changing all the time (and we see it is)...then they are no better in regards to Perfect, if it remains to be updated, and upgraded continually with Issue with all of the variables in a state of change continually... towards hopefully a standard of perfection one day?..or never to keep the flow of cash comin in....I think is the underlying method of, in some circles.

And they all have them bugs in play....So, again what ever floats the boat to the other shore, ...is in some case Standardized by the consumer...not the industry.

It is the consumer who feeds the cash cow...marketing is the means/ploy to gain the herders  hand in supplying that food in certain directions of Cow feeding...

Asking which one is better?...only fuels that direction towards one or the others...or all.. depending on who wants to have fun taking sides in the debate, and who wants to pull out hair using.....

And I made nothing known that is not already known, but unsaid.

PT  and Sonar are ok to do what needs to be done, that can be done with them...and then there are others that do other things ..and some should consider having at hand, when the need arises, that those cannot do....

Mastering is with the plug ins!!, and a employed standard baseline used by Industry....some DAWs include mastering plug ins, some do not...some are better than others at employing and rendering a standard towards the industry's mark of...and so the wheel in sky keeps on turning...the one spinning the wheel is the one who is making the un-standard standards be, so more pay out of pocket to try to make that standard be a standard...But even that is changing....mp3?...well it is not moving towards hi fi or above...sort of took a turn backwards for a moment.

So where is this industry standard level of perfection in terms of MP3 being widely promoted by Apple, and technology in play back medium?..in terms of fidelity?...and what new standard is coming?

Even the industry could change...and where would PT put their claim in being?....again change is not a standard of Perfection...

So that whole notion of being the industry standard is a farce!

Sip.
Sir Les

1. Intel 5960x 3.5mhz , ASUS x99 deluxe u3.1, Asus Thunderbolt ex II,   G skills f4 3000 Memory 32GB , ADATA ssd 250GB Main Drive, Lots of WD Red 7200 Mechanical Drives with Black Drives, 14x multi optical Drive, LG Multi Blu Drive,  2X Extern WD Mybooks usb 3.0, AMD r7 270 video card, Motu 828x TB , Motu Midi XT.
2.  USING MAC PRO, as win 10 has damaged 2 x99 systems 8.1 is also to blame for the final burnout trying to roll back!

3.  Something Wonderful: https://1drv.ms/f/s!AlHkRy9cXBbYpQNvVBCt8r7fQ5PS
Sanderxpander
Re: Sonar v/ Protools 2014/02/03 04:12:52 (permalink)
While I am mostly just bewildered by your post, what stood out to me was your bit about professional meaning perfect. That's not the case at all. Professional just means it's a tool fit for someone who needs to make a living using it. I have many professional tools, do make a living with them, and none of them are perfect (whatever that even means considering our shifting needs/expectations).
Splat
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8672
Re: Sonar v/ Protools 2014/02/03 07:27:25 (permalink)
Nowadays professional means audiophile, at least in forums that feature non professionals.
Marketing has sorted that one out :).

If anybody has iplayer (mainly UK) I suggest watching Sound City, it's probably been on a US network as well etc:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03sltyb

That's the real mentality to make music (get a skillset, tools are just tools)...

Sell by date at 9000 posts. Do not feed.
@48/24 & 128 buffers latency is 367 with offset of 38.

Sonar Platinum(64 bit),Win 8.1(64 bit),Saffire Pro 40(Firewire),Mix Control = 3.4,Firewire=VIA,Dell Studio XPS 8100(Intel Core i7 CPU 2.93 Ghz/16 Gb),4 x Seagate ST31500341AS (mirrored),GeForce GTX 460,Yamaha DGX-505 keyboard,Roland A-300PRO,Roland SPD-30 V2,FD-8,Triggera Krigg,Shure SM7B,Yamaha HS5.Maschine Studio+Komplete 9 Ultimate+Kontrol Z1.Addictive Keys,Izotope Nectar elements,Overloud Bundle,Geist.Acronis True Image 2014.
markyzno
Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1216
Re: Sonar v/ Protools 2014/02/03 09:21:49 (permalink)
CakeAlexS
Nowadays professional means audiophile, at least in forums that feature non professionals.
Marketing has sorted that one out :).

If anybody has iplayer (mainly UK) I suggest watching Sound City, it's probably been on a US network as well etc:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03sltyb

That's the real mentality to make music (get a skillset, tools are just tools)...

One of my top films of last year.

Splendid stuff.

Sonar Platinum 64 bit > Pro tools 10.3.2 >Intel i7 3770K > 16Gb Ram > Gigabyte Z77-D3H Motherboard> NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 2 GB > ATi RADEON HD5700 > 240GB OCZ Agility 3 SSD> Win 10 home 64 bit> Delta 1010 > MOTU Audio Express > MA-15D's > NI Ultimate 9 > NI Kontrol S61 1.1 > NI MAschine Studio 2.3 / KORG MS-20 Mini - Arturia MicroBrute > KORG SQ1 - KORG Kaoss Pad KP3 > iPad and IO Dock 2 running various bits > Bunch of guitars >

Sound Design on IMDB --

mgh
  • Total Posts : 8594
Re: Sonar v/ Protools 2014/02/03 09:43:22 (permalink)
joden
cclarry
...................Actually, Cubase is in more Studios worldwide, but PT is the Standard here.
(Not going to argue that point - as many will want to).................

and you know this because??? No argument as I am not saying it isn't so, but where does this "fact" come from?

surely the fact that many studios run Macs? esp here in Europe Logic and Cubase are run in many studios. 

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
Sir Les
Re: Sonar v/ Protools 2014/02/03 10:17:06 (permalink)
Well when I ask a Professional a Question, I want the right answer, and most importantly the Perfect solution when employing that Professional.

I take this the same way with Software...although none really say Professional, they say PRO...which means?...nothing!

And so the answer is moot to the questions being asked.

PT is ok..when it works...and the same can be said about all that say they are this or that...if they are not...then Perfection is lacking in their statements.

And if you take a peek at any DAW forums ...you will see a percentage of users having issues with one thing or another...and is this the bakers problem?....well some go pointing fingers at X Y Z..and make the user run around...when all that sort of thing should have been done by the bakers tooting their BS....but how can they claim, if the OS is under change continually, and this making drivers always in need of change as well....the sort of thing the software is based upon....seems the PRO...means nothing more than three letters grouped together.

Industry standards are again Changing...4K, and surely higher fidelity sound surround systems will come into play eventually for the home consumer end of things...down the road.,,as it is already in the works.....SO the industry changes according to the consumer trends....if 4k takes off...and become cheaper eventually...then all other systems will also make a more accompanying accompaniment toward higher visual and sound values.

PT may change towards that...?...and other DAWs will have to as well , if it does...and it looks like it is being implemented.
So even the industry is changing...meaning no software is really the industry standard at this time....and that is what PERFECT TRUTH is.

Now standards are going to change again...So...Avid's claims are moot!

Yep Cubase, Sonar, and others...all  have a playing field being open to develop for now...as that standard standard of change is once again upon us all.

So don't believe the hype or commercial methods to gain support with lies....although they are well used lies...they only employ you to buy in....and feed that cow more!

Just to be light hearted...most DAWs do a good job at recording and playing back audio, put some effects on the tracks, and render to a cd....and for the most part that is all some ever need.

Never mind some industry Mooted statements....as the truth is now coming...PT is now 64 bit , to work with 64 bit OS that has been around for a few years....Now they are dropping older RTAS and VST support, for the new AXX....Now new means it is not industry standard any more...it is changing standards that have been employed over time....and this causes issues and wasted money..and or time to solve for...or down time....in the industry....some one dropped the ball in that camp , I'd say....but that is just me keeping my standard eye on things changing...and if it keeps on doing this, the definition of the word "Standard" will mean change of that "dictionary definition" for the cash cows feeding habits to continue on....making false claims of standards said to be employed as Truth not true...which to my mind is counter productive for short periods of time, when passed over onto the People listening and seeing what is going on?...well that said, let some standards stay standard in word and mind.
post edited by Sir Les - 2014/02/03 12:56:19

1. Intel 5960x 3.5mhz , ASUS x99 deluxe u3.1, Asus Thunderbolt ex II,   G skills f4 3000 Memory 32GB , ADATA ssd 250GB Main Drive, Lots of WD Red 7200 Mechanical Drives with Black Drives, 14x multi optical Drive, LG Multi Blu Drive,  2X Extern WD Mybooks usb 3.0, AMD r7 270 video card, Motu 828x TB , Motu Midi XT.
2.  USING MAC PRO, as win 10 has damaged 2 x99 systems 8.1 is also to blame for the final burnout trying to roll back!

brconflict
Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1891
Re: Sonar v/ Protools 2014/02/03 11:26:57 (permalink)
I think people tend to disconnect PRO from Professional in many discussions, but the truth is that Profession etymology dictates that a Professional has been formally trained for a publicly declared vocation. In other words, if the person is open for business and is highly trained or highly skilled, he's a Pro. So, in essence, what tools he uses are tools a Pro use, or a Pro tool. However, we tend to assign Pro to a product, only because it is assumed that if the Pro uses that product, he will use the most complete or "pro" version(s).

I've made a suggestion before that I believe Sonar X Professional should be developed to better compete with the likes of ProTools, taking out any frivolous features, but it would assume we need a Mac version to duly compete, along with some hardware integration. For now, Professionals will use Producer version of Sonar, and make some money at it. Some studios are building workstations loaded with different DAW's so that clients aren't locked into using ProTools. Knowing this last little tid-bit, one could say using Sonar could easily be used by Pro's if they see that the software is easier to use, and they can work faster--or that's simply the DAW they know.  

Brian

Sonar Platinum, Steinberg Wavelab Pro 9, MOTU 24CoreIO w/ low-slew OP-AMP mods and BLA external clock, True P8, Audient ASP008, API 512c, Chandler Germ500, Summit 2ba-221, GAP Pre-73, Peluso 22251, Peluso 2247LE, Mackie HR824, Polk Audio SRS-SDA 2.3tl w/upgraded Soniccraft crossovers and Goertz cables, powered by Pass-X350. All wiring Star-Quad XLR or Monster Cable. Power by Monster Power Signature AVS2000 voltage stabilizer and Signature Pro Power 5100 PowerCenter on a 20A isolation shielded circuit.
Splat
Re: Sonar v/ Protools 2014/02/03 11:46:42 (permalink)
I think the opposite, the second you try to compete with Pro Tools you are dead, that side of the market is done. There's no way to make money out of the mac platform. Embrace being different and let the customers come to you, don't follow the sheep.

BTW most people who use Sonar do not have professional recording studios (which are dying or near dead thanks to Pro Tools), most are hobbyists or bedroom musicians (or audiophiles who want to be musicians), that's probably a market to go for (looks like it's already fairly successful).

Pro is a marketing term nowadays, it seems to have lost its meaning (sadly).
post edited by CakeAlexS - 2014/02/03 11:52:59

Sonar Platinum(64 bit),Win 8.1(64 bit),Saffire Pro 40(Firewire),Mix Control = 3.4,Firewire=VIA,Dell Studio XPS 8100(Intel Core i7 CPU 2.93 Ghz/16 Gb),4 x Seagate ST31500341AS (mirrored),GeForce GTX 460,Yamaha DGX-505 keyboard,Roland A-300PRO,Roland SPD-30 V2,FD-8,Triggera Krigg,Shure SM7B,Yamaha HS5.Maschine Studio+Komplete 9 Ultimate+Kontrol Z1.Addictive Keys,Izotope Nectar elements,Overloud Bundle,Geist.Acronis True Image 2014.
Sanderxpander
Re: Sonar v/ Protools 2014/02/03 12:12:44 (permalink)
I hate to be so anal about it but to settle the argument;

pro·fes·sion·al [pruh-fesh-uh-nl] Show IPA
adjective
following an occupation as a means of livelihood or for gain: a professional builder.
of, pertaining to, or connected with a profession: professional studies.
appropriate to a profession: professional objectivity.
engaged in one of the learned professions: A lawyer is a professional person.
following as a business an occupation ordinarily engaged in as a pastime: a professional golfer.
SuperG
Max Output Level: -63 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1371
Re: Sonar v/ Protools 2014/02/03 14:24:22 (permalink)
Sanderxpander

adjective
following an occupation as a means of livelihood or for gain: a professional builder.
following as a business an occupation ordinarily engaged in as a pastime: a professional golfer.

I find that professional organizations are mainly engaged in protectionism. That's a bald statement, yes, but although it usually isn't easy to become a member of one, you find that member discipline is lax.

Think i.e., lawers, doctors... and hard hard it is to pursue a malpractice suit.

laudem Deo
Sanderxpander
Re: Sonar v/ Protools 2014/02/03 14:55:35 (permalink)
Sorry to help bring this thread so far off topic.
Sir Les
Re: Sonar v/ Protools 2014/02/03 15:05:18 (permalink)
brconflict

Some studios are building workstations loaded with different DAW's so that clients aren't locked into using ProTools. Knowing this last little tid-bit, one could say using Sonar could easily be used by Pro's if they see that the software is easier to use, and they can work faster--or that's simply the DAW they know.  

This has merit...as it would accommodate many, and increase Studio clients to use X brand Studio....and I was getting to this very point.
Some DAWs just do thing better, with more ease, and less learning curve because it is intuitively designed.

As was the VST Plug in ...easy to use, and employ across the platforms...a Standard?...well it has been revised, just as ASIO has...and as things perfect themselves to working states, and people buy into it, to get things done...the wheel is spun to undo, and cause unrest in the camps....why?...well it sells the next best tooted revisions and gear, and such...for more feeding of the cash cow....now when all that is known and accepted, you can be the cow, or be the feeder of it...or the one who spins the wheel of change....don't be fooled by the industry doing it for you...think outside the box...and use as many tools as you can afford to learn...and you will get things done, when one thing made exclusive by the Lie of being Industry standard..when it does not work...you can still accommodate your clients with something else.

And that is a Professional means of conduct....When Murphy is present in all things changing.

So..Yes I like what you said above brconflict, because it is a wise thought to use as many tools for a job, that will make the job completely Professional, one way or another...and back ups to those choices seems commendable....why is the industry locking down PT?...or is PT trying to lock down the industry?...well who knows what truth is with that....And I see too much changing of Standards to make the consumer buy into something that may not be as great as they claimed it would be....so beware..and be wise..
post edited by Sir Les - 2014/02/03 15:18:53

John T
Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6783
Re: Sonar v/ Protools 2014/02/03 16:18:55 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby mettelus 2014/02/04 01:55:43
Does anyone know what this thread is about? I'm lost.

http://johntatlockaudio.com/
Self-build PC // 16GB RAM // i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz // Nofan 0dB cooler // ASUS P8-Z77 V Pro motherboard // Intel x-25m SSD System Drive // Seagate RAID Array Audio Drive // Windows 10 64 bit // Sonar Platinum (64 bit) // Sonar VS-700 // M-Audio Keystation Pro 88 // KRK RP-6 Monitors // and a bunch of other stuff
brconflict
Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1891
Re: Sonar v/ Protools 2014/02/03 16:20:16 (permalink)
I think there is some inherent interface from Avid to the industry. As difficult as they make it to send feedback or requests to Avid without owning the product (ala 3-Day Trials), the fact that you have to climb a ladder to gain access to their Execs, and that PT seems to operate in a vacuum from the people on the street, it would seem Avid does a really good job loitering around major studios as much as possible. When your business relies heavily on that industry-retention, if you can't re-invent the wheel, you will do everything in your power to take away all the frustrations from high-profile users and those who tend to scream the loudest at minor issues.

I will say, if you've used PT for some time and believe it's a hard learning curve, then there's some compliments to be paid to those engineers and artists who know it well and use it daily without a fuss.

I'll also say I'd like to see a few of the Professional Studio PT users kick the Avid rep in the gut once in a while, getting him out of the way to allow the user to see the competition. They just might be surprised at how much sweeter life can be when PT isn't shrouding the studio under a purple cloud. I have utter contempt for Avid's business principles, and I have told them this.

Note: PT11 is probably a great product. I don't mean to say it's not worth a Professional's time. There's MANY happy Avid users, and those who get their jobs done quickly and without a fuss! However, I do see that many people in the industry place a huge amount of emphasis on PT simply because that's what they know and that's what the industry standard is. After a while, a revolution can be a good thing.

Brian

Sonar Platinum, Steinberg Wavelab Pro 9, MOTU 24CoreIO w/ low-slew OP-AMP mods and BLA external clock, True P8, Audient ASP008, API 512c, Chandler Germ500, Summit 2ba-221, GAP Pre-73, Peluso 22251, Peluso 2247LE, Mackie HR824, Polk Audio SRS-SDA 2.3tl w/upgraded Soniccraft crossovers and Goertz cables, powered by Pass-X350. All wiring Star-Quad XLR or Monster Cable. Power by Monster Power Signature AVS2000 voltage stabilizer and Signature Pro Power 5100 PowerCenter on a 20A isolation shielded circuit.
Splat
Re: Sonar v/ Protools 2014/02/03 18:49:47 (permalink)
Sanderxpander

adjective

Well I didn't stand on the corner of the street for too long ;)

Anderton
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: Sonar v/ Protools 2014/02/03 20:36:42 (permalink)
Sanderxpander
Or Wavelab, or Sequoia/Samplitude.
I really don't see ProTools as a mastering app. Perhaps only because it's standard and you do need something to play a stereo track and host plugins.

Or Sound Forge or Adobe Audition...Pro Tools is not a very good mastering program, and I don't think anyone at Avid claims that's a mastering program. (FWIW I actually use Sonar for several mastering functions that digital audio editors typically can't do, like automation.)

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
John
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 30467
Re: Sonar v/ Protools 2014/02/03 21:42:07 (permalink)
Sanderxpander

adjective

Sorry all that is a corruption of what a profession or professional is. It is one that professes. One that has letters. How you decide if someone is a professional is why they are hired. Anyone that is hired for there lettered knowledge is a professional. Everyone else is in a trade. That includes musicians. Skills do not make a professional. A typist has skills but is not and never will be a professional. Basically it is if they are asked for advice.  Its their advice that makes a professional. A teacher a doctor a lawyer are professionals. Athletes are in either an advocation or a trade.  Priests are in an advocation. So are nuns.

What you list is the popular view and it is useless as a determination. Its saying anyone that is hired is a professional. We know that is untrue. That would make an unskilled laborer the same as a professor of history, equally professional. 

Best
John
John T
Re: Sonar v/ Protools 2014/02/03 22:15:26 (permalink)
Hmm. I think you'd struggle to find a dictionary that agrees with you on that.

Self-build PC // 16GB RAM // i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz // Nofan 0dB cooler // ASUS P8-Z77 V Pro motherboard // Intel x-25m SSD System Drive // Seagate RAID Array Audio Drive // Windows 10 64 bit // Sonar Platinum (64 bit) // Sonar VS-700 // M-Audio Keystation Pro 88 // KRK RP-6 Monitors // and a bunch of other stuff
Sir Les
Re: Sonar v/ Protools 2014/02/03 22:52:50 (permalink)
John
Sanderxpander

adjective

Sorry all that is a corruption of what a profession or professional is. It is one that professes. One that has letters. How you decide if someone is a professional is why they are hired. Anyone that is hired for there lettered knowledge is a professional. Everyone else is in a trade. That includes musicians. Skills do not make a professional. A typist has skills but is not and never will be a professional. Basically it is if they are asked for advice.  Its their advice that makes a professional. A teacher a doctor a lawyer are professionals. Athletes are in either an advocation or a trade.  Priests are in an advocation. So are nuns.

What you list is the popular view and it is useless as a determination. Its saying anyone that is hired is a professional. We know that is untrue. That would make an unskilled laborer the same as a professor of history, equally professional. 

What? A typist who types correctly, and consistently over time, in some manner of Standard (lingo, method, resolve) at some speed...becomes a professional typist....and Piano Player who studies music theory, employs the methods and laws correctly always...and plays and makes music becomes a musician, and over time, with no error found in that performance or performances done...is granted status of Professional Pianist....and with that knowledge of those trades under their belts, can pass on the knowledge to others...as teachers.

So I am not sure how a professional becomes one, if it is impossible to be one...by learning and persisting in perfecting that ...in regards to Professional being what they claim that word to be in terms of dictionary meaning..it is one who fully and confidently can do the trade of choice correctly and always done so, over every employment.

Now Fine Arts theory and mastery ~ PT and Avid, Cubase, Roland, and other name brands..ect... surely helped bring the industry to what it may be, and could be, and perhaps should be...but Like some have said, Avid closed their eyes, and made things exclusive to their methods to lock down the users to high costs, and problematic change....and sometimes closing the door on other ideas that may bare riper fruit...or better methods...or more stable platforms...to make a standard standard always a standard used..and measure...and fare...then the laws, and teaching can begin once mastered in those methods, tools and ideals which makes that one or many Professionals in terms of.

If standards are always changing, and things with in that state are also in a state of change, No one can claim to be Professional under that muse, as that statement would be false, as the known standards for that under Industry has not yet been defined as such...in standards used, or to be used, or in line to change for what can be....SO the teacher has to be taught...which makes that state weak in terms of his or her or the standard change to non professional, because there is always something lacking Perfection, or knowledge of...a standard method...if it has not reached its perfection, and stands as such always....it is not standard in so much as to say, it is used, but not always....and as this industry needs change to fuel its Fat cow method...change has to occur....and that is what is now being imposed...I see 4k video, needs a partner in audio fidelity....TV, Space technologies/ to broadcasting...it all has to change, to accommodate the new...and it is big business...it has nothing to do with standards or industry really, that is the guise they use to make the cow fatter,and the masses continue to buy the new technologies....and we feed which cow we chose to feed..and which camp we chose to chose...the industry that holds the most versatile tools, and employs many types, to suite many needs...will gain more cliental....and that is a fact of Professional methods one could use to gain those hard to find feeders, and accolades in becoming Professional in method and form.

So in some regard, I own part of Avid's claims...and from one point in time, it did not work, I bought their devices for M Power, and setup a nice PC...which their techs could not tame under windows xp or 7...I bought the PT 9 with claims it worked with all audio devices, also had issues, and soon after I bought 9, they released 10 for more cash grabbing...which I did not buy into because I saw 64bit OSes being more the go to Platform method of practice and practical direction for future proofing the Studio...As I already know about change, one must ready for it...that things change always is now historical noted truth...and accept it as such, and prepare for it....to buy in when I feel the time is right (more perfected in platform and function stability to do so) or enough people claim it is solid enough a platform to engage in...cause I was there with Atari, PC win 95...and that was a nightmare...but I tried...I was there with win 95 a,b,c and Cubase..with the implementation of usb 1.1...and that was not so workable for me...I was there for win 98, se, Xp, sp1....and now win 7 64bit and 32 bit, and a hole host of DAWs to play with...I like Sony products, but they are falling behind..perhaps following the industry standard?...perhaps only to make sure the platform is stable before coding for it?...could be a means to save money?

Any way...All those wonderful toys...seem to work some what when one complies to certain rules of method and instructions to make it work.....follow the method, and it should work...if it does not work...well that is where the Murphy of my understanding becomes a professional recker of method....and a tool should be fabricated for that professional of mayham.

That said, in that, the professional methods used to make standards, or laws, or coded libraries, to make the software work with in a said environment "OS" needs it to be stable...and if it is in state of flux, no words can tell of it's merits as functioning in such a state of non perfection, as this becomes a unknown factor for Murphy to play on.
And this has to stop...I believe.
So Microsoft or someone else..Linux?...or Beos?...I have no clue who will, or when...but they will develop a OS Just for the Music Industry...So more Professional outcomes prevail with that method of accolades achieved rightfully in Standards met through solid methods. laws and priciples ,STANDARDS, which continue to be made for all by all who use the methods of fine arts and employ them properly, over many platforms that work, to the highest degree of..and even pushing new boundries.

SO someone who knows how to use all the tools, and then some, and even makes his own tools for those uncertain Problems of Murphy, which seem to be incorporated in,... so more cow feeding can be gained...should be accounted as more Professionals see the light, than the ones stuck in a rut trying to change standards to continue to sell a Dog to the cow feeders, and hold court with out vision of change now coming upon them to catch up to...should not hold court there in.

Which DAW is better?...PT VS SONAR?....I SAY they both have their merits and possibly their own Bugs...as being noted continually through out time with all DAWs and PC or MAC or other computer systems, that bases something on a untrue statement somewhere.....in the end, it will not work...and so some one has to correct that error or lie to make it stable...not build on it./,,,but I guess that is also a form of professional method that can be rewarding for a short period of time...if one wants to be futile in terms of supporting untruths and un-standards to gain wealth...soon the support or camps under it's wing, tend to fly elsewhere for more solid Performance, for less cost....as Truth should bring Perfection...Lies only bring ruin.

SO let the yes mean yes, and the no mean no..a word made known to mean what it says, stays that way.

And so the Question is posed..PT VS SONAR?...with the above statements made by me, I see a unstable future to pass through coming, until some genius comes up with a more robust answer to Computer Operational devices with OSes.
Or the ones now in play, solidify and correct the errors in the hardware, chipsets, code, firmware, or libraries being used in those computers....So the industry can flourish better for all who try taking up the DAW experience...which ever one, or as many, they chose to use, as long as they stay in that standard of truth circle, and provide a working product as claimed.....and there is nothing right or wrong with that...Yep... I bought PT 11, and then had to update it twice to make it work.
Reading in on the Avid forms, a lot of older hardware is being dropped...and plugs...and I guess a new direction is being formulated by Avid, and now Apple...will the industry be able to hold on while they make amendments to their code and product line, and certain industry methods of choice in PC or Mac?...or will someone else move in with a better product and support platform?...or has that already been happening?...is the industry really in charge of this industry, or is Avid?

Well...You play, you pay...you learn, you excel in knowledge.,,,open your eyes to see the lies and truths....perhaps knowledge in this helps one chose?...unless truth is a lie, and lies are truths...perhaps something to consider if standards are not.

post edited by Sir Les - 2014/02/03 23:09:25

John
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 30467
Re: Sonar v/ Protools 2014/02/03 23:33:16 (permalink)
John T
Hmm. I think you'd struggle to find a dictionary that agrees with you on that.

I'm sure you're right John but it really doesn't matter what a dictionary will say. To get a full understanding of the word you may have to study it. Funny I just did look it up in the American Heritage Dictionary is very close to how I defined it.  

Best
John
John T
Re: Sonar v/ Protools 2014/02/03 23:38:56 (permalink)
It's really not: http://ahdictionary.com/w...ch.html?q=professional

This thread has took some odd turns. I've no idea what Les is on about either. I'm not sure he knows come to that.

Sir Les
Re: Sonar v/ Protools 2014/02/04 01:41:02 (permalink)
What is it anyone says they know?....how is it proven?...where is the standard to reduce chaos?...what measure of rule is being employed..or should be used to gauge?...

If one defines: a work station a work station...is it  one that does many things?...or one thing?.

So Industry...which industry?...there are many...If we talk about the Fine Arts...it comes to be, a more robust status....which includes word, visual, auditory, and thought or logics....to some degree of  measure which should conform to a method that all can follow, and find resolve with...to help create their Muse..or Art.

Now we can use many means...But the computer seems to be moving in to all realities of that, as a platform....it is not the only platform...but it is being widely accepted as something that can be used as a tool to make Art, and communication, and or sciences...truths and lies aside.....

What I believe is, if something has a error in it....it is not supposed to be used as a standard, because it creates error or unstable or illogics to arise.

it is with anything...if truth prevails in something, it is lasting, it needs no change, it is perfect.

So how can one base a platform on something in complete flux? or change as one may account is happening?

Which Program is best suited for this?....and if this is the way things are going to be, and continue to be, then why chose any...just chose them all.

And that solves the problem of which one vs the other...use them both, try them out, take the plunge, believe nothing told, make your own choices..and live with them.

Don't let Avid dictate, or the industry....the People are the industry!...we make the economy work...we chose or we follow, or we make...and in terms of being Professional...I believe it means to be perfect at what it is you employ yourself in....and using certain Methods of Logics , and truths...one can follow in that do not change "Like Music theory" or "Math"...if we follow...what ever measure is truthful...and stays that way....that is the one to follow.
As it will always produce for you and all who do.

If error or bad math, or logics are used...change has to occur....cause it will be faulty.
And perhaps that is why some if not all DAW software has been buggy in some regards with some of their codex.

Is it the os?, is it the hardware?...is it dependant on the mix of those things?....I see why Avid has made their own hardware...but even those using it, have had issues...and paid for support to try to fix...and stung along waiting for that, while other Platforms seem to creep forward past them.

So is the industry being ****ed by Avid?...or the people moving past that hurdle?

Is it fare to come into a forum...and put up such a post?...surely it will bring all kinds of debate.

What I am trying to resolve are...What is the industry?..and what are standards, and what does Professional mean?
for those using these words,terms, and claims...

If one defines them as none definable or in ignorance to what has been defined already...as a standard to avoid confusion...then some may see my point.

But if confusion is with me...and it is, and with you others...and perhaps that is also?....then no one can say they understand...which could be a truth here in.

And I like truth...cause truth does not need to change...it is always true...it is never untrue...and those who seek it, ...want it.

And that is with everything..from spoken words of promise, to words of meaning....it all has to have defined states to make logical choices.

Some times the only way to learn is to try....find out...take the chance...then you will know...what is truth about their claims...or the other being better...or them being alike, or different but doing the same things, or one more over the other.

I have not gotten to that state yet with either.

So I am sitting on a fence...watching the Cow, sheep, goats, dogs, chickens, and what is being fed to them...as truths and lies reveal themselves over time....

Am I saving money?...nope!...but I am having fun learning the curve balls thrown at me, to solve for, and using other things while the industry standard makes its change....and I am getting work done by what ever works at that particular time of need...cause I have most of them in house...settling where the error is, that causes bugs to arise with many DAWs, perhaps is with my choices used to put them and run them with?...so, I made another step to resolve that variable...and bought a Mac...so I can see what is on the other side of zero...and I also Bought new PC parts, and that seems to be working way better , than the older parts employed that were claimed to work with.

So in part hardware is part to blame, also the OS is part to blame, and user is part to blame for taking that plunge to early....I should have waited longer...As it is again in a state of flux.

Now how can anyone claim to be Professional skilled in something that has not yet been defined?
No matter the meaning of its truth...one cannot be perfectly trained in anything computer based in terms of industry standards...cause there are no standards that hold as such Yet!

And that is a perfect truth....I hope I explain myself more in this one...cause sure as rain Chaos is coming again to the computer industry with changes.
and that means more gear sales, more devices on the garbage pile, more lost income, and more wasted money!

So...that is what unstandard standards bring when they change the standards always, as noted now coming again.
Windows 8.1...and soon that will change...and then a new cpu...so platform change...and video cards to support higher resolutions, and monitors, and of course new ports, cables, and such...always a fluxing chaos of change...is it standard...well yes...and so what truth will come of something that constantly changes...becomes un-standard eventually...and so Avid now have to change along with change...SO while they are doing it, and Apple are also...nothing is stable...nothing holds truth about standard anything!....and there is my point again made known.

If you want to play along...chose both..or many...do not confine yourselves to one or the other....and find out.

You gain something from the experience!

I know I have!

But some can be lead to the truth...some can not...so try to find it on your own....You will eventually see it...once that is done, you then have to believe in it...and then, you can say I know it is truth.

That is the game...knowing!....if words are used by X, and claim things that were true once, but slowly lost that truth because the industry is in flux....then did they ever really gain a standard to begin with?....No!

And as I like to believe, Truth never changes...it always remains as such...it is a method for perfection...without truth, there is no perfection...if lies or error is incorporated into something, or variables or Flux in % that do not hold true for all things made...then there will be Issues, and Murphy will pounce on that.
As noted in all camps...why?...because that is how it works....truth.
error is in the machine....where?...well depends how deep you want to look...or how far you stand away from it to see it.

Is it getting better?...Perhaps...only time will tell...and as time passes, take note of what changes next!

Sanderxpander
Re: Sonar v/ Protools 2014/02/04 02:21:09 (permalink)
A dictionary merely shows what the established meanings of a word within a language are. Sometimes it will indicate what the meaning used to be. You can call it a corruption and provide your "true" meaning but that's useless for communication.
Sir Les
Re: Sonar v/ Protools 2014/02/04 02:50:49 (permalink)
a. Of, relating to, engaged in, or suitable for a profession: [b. Conforming to the standards of a profession: [2. Engaging in a given activity as a source of livelihood or as a career: [3. Performed by persons receiving pay: [4. Having or showing great skill; expert: [n.1. A person following a profession, especially a learned profession.
2. One who earns a living in a given or implied occupation: [3. A skilled practitioner; an expert.

I am taking B as my standard point of interest, but all of them have to conform from a-z to the models of each other.

And so Standards that change constantly have no base to call them selves standard...if they change...and they do constantly.

If error is in the codex...then issues will arise with product out...Yes? or No?...and time wasted is money burnt?...yes? no?.

If something is basing itself on something of flux and or error or non perfect states...then error will result in its failure eventually for something more perfect to take it's place...Yes ? no?...should something that is in such a state be made as a Standard?....Yes? No?....these are what I base my thought processes on.

Now Avid claim something that is not to my mind standard in any means if it is computer based...nor can any other software make that claim...as being some form of standard, if it is always being changed.
And it cannot always conform to stable states of being....and who uses a tool /computer/os/drivers or codex..that does not perform admirably 100% to gain a state of perfection in being in use, to say One has that tool that makes their profession Professional?

Being Perfect at ones muse or profession, makes Professional states of that one who does follow the method B when in line with a STANDARD...now as I made clear, that has yet to be defined in the industry...So, there are no professionals available at this time line..who can say anything in regards to which is better...cause there are no experts or professional working perfect camps to boast this...at this time, or any time in the near future....Because computers have not arrived at any standard base line in all terms....there is no one perfect state,(it is getting closer to it some times, and other times it is changing, and different parts have to make amends) it is all in a state of flux...and with that truth, ...B fails in this regard!...and so all others do not conform to each other in that definition ...and so Professional  states in computer land and DAWs that use such a platform with OS of choice...can never be a Professional Profession under those terms, as the base line computer/os/devices or hardware/software are not perfected Yet!= bugs!

So you can post all kinds of dictionaries...You know what I mean...and in posting that one, You solidified my Point more.

Thanks

Page: < 12345 > Showing page 4 of 5
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1