The BIG Orchestral Library Shootout * * *

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 6 of 13
Author
rbowser
Max Output Level: -10 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6518
Re:The SONAR Orchestral Library Shootout 2010/07/21 21:17:18 (permalink)
Guitarman1

Ok, found some useful info on page 5 of this thread, I now know why my timpani are silent. That file has multiple percussion instruments.But I would think my timpani would sound at the time it is umm. midized..lol.. like that word?   I am gonna have to make separate tracks for each instrument I think with the library I am using... back to the drawing board.

Ok.. you guys want to have a good laugh?... for grins I loaded up ez drummer on the percussion tracks... if you have that try it, it is umm different to say the least.

Guitarman, it's inspiring how you're sticking with this, despite difficulties.  Glad you found some info on the thread that's helping to unravel things.

The Percussion track is the trickiest part of the file.  If the soft synth you're using has an "Orchestral Percussion" patch -all the instruments in one soft synth patch, laid out over a keyboard, then it's possible that moving the notes to the proper trigger notes could work.  But if you're using separate patches on your synth for each of the percussion instruments, bass drum, tympani, snare, cymbals - then having separate MIDI tracks with C&Ps of the requisite notes inserted is the way to go.  In the project for this that I've been working on, that's exactly what I've done.  It's probably the way most people will be making this work.

It'll be great to hear what you're cooking up.

Randy B.

Sonar X3e Studio
Roland A-800 MIDI keyboard controller
Alesis i|O2 interface
Gigabyte Technology-AMD Phenom II @ 3 GHz
8 Gb RAM 6 Core Windows 7 Home Premium x64
with dual monitors
bitflipper
01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
  • Total Posts : 26036
Re:The SONAR Orchestral Library Shootout 2010/07/21 22:08:26 (permalink)
I am gonna have to make separate tracks for each instrument I think with the library I am using

That's what most of us are having to do. If your synth has a GM orchestral percussion patch it should be able to handle the perc track as-is. Even then, I'd advise checking to see if your synth's GM perc patch offers a snare roll sample and move the pseudo-rolls up to it instead of using the machine-gun single snare hits in the MIDI file.

Most of the fancier samplers don't even offer a GM orchestral kit. Instead, they'll have a sample set called "Snares" and another separate set called "Tympani". This is where an intimate knowledge of your soft synth comes into play. It's often not a simple matter to translate percussion. Fortunately, our StarTrek file is very simple percussively so it shouldn't be too challenging.

for grins I loaded up ez drummer on the percussion tracks...

One of the first things I tried was hooking it up to Superior Drummer. That was fun. I think if you got some big room/reverb going it might sound like Bonham accompanying a symphony orchestra. Try routing the bass track to a heavy bass guitar patch run through a dirty amp sim. And while you're at it, have fun substituting each orchestral instrument with a Rapture patch that's kinda sorta similar-sounding. But don't send it to Randy - we're trying to stay focused on orchestration, hard though that may be.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
rbowser
Re:The SONAR Orchestral Library Shootout 2010/07/22 00:19:34 (permalink)
A FRIENDLY CHALLENGE -

There are some very active and knowledgeable members of this Forum who haven't yet responded to this neat thread Bitflipper started.  I know those members use Sonar, and have access to at least some soft synths that have orchestral patches in them.  SO---

I challenge these Forum members to take just a few hours away from their time on the Forum, and produce entries for this orchestral software comparison test. 

They shall remain nameless, but by initials, I challenge C., B., P. - and several others to simply set that posted .cwp file up in their Sonar, do a little editing, and let us hear some demos of the soft synths they use.  This is an invaluable resource being put together - but the larger the base of support, the more thorough and helpful the results will be.

Just do it - Take a little time off from the Forum, and produce something that will serve the Forum membership for a long time to come.

Randy B.

Sonar X3e Studio
Alesis i|O2 interface
with dual monitors
ba_midi
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14061
Re:The SONAR Orchestral Library Shootout 2010/07/22 00:42:47 (permalink)
rbowser

A FRIENDLY CHALLENGE -

There are some very active and knowledgeable members of this Forum who haven't yet responded to this neat thread Bitflipper started.  I know those members use Sonar, and have access to at least some soft synths that have orchestral patches in them.  SO---

I challenge these Forum members to take just a few hours away from their time on the Forum, and produce entries for this orchestral software comparison test. 

They shall remain nameless, but by initials, I challenge C., B., P. - and several others to simply set that posted .cwp file up in their Sonar, do a little editing, and let us hear some demos of the soft synths they use.  This is an invaluable resource being put together - but the larger the base of support, the more thorough and helpful the results will be.

Just do it - Take a little time off from the Forum, and produce something that will serve the Forum membership for a long time to come.

Randy B.

Just for the record, Randy, I did say I might struggle to find some time (though I want to); however, aside from Forum Time, I have been running around crazy getting ready to leave for vacation on Friday.  So for me at least, it's going to have to wait until I return.

I am definitely curious though :)

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

http://www.ba-midi.com/music/files
Music gives me life, so I give life Music.
Thanks for listening - Let's Dance to the rhythm of life! :)
planetearth
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 763
Re:The SONAR Orchestral Library Shootout 2010/07/22 00:42:50 (permalink)
I think I'll have a go at this, but I noticed there's now a "Trek-improved.MID" file on the site. Does this "improved" file have the wrong note and doubled notes Jose referred to a few pages ago, or is there another compelling reason to use it? Even the "standard" .MID file is newer than the .CWP file, so I'm not sure which one to use.

I'd rather use the improved file if it's technically "better", but there are six pages of posts in this thread, and if I read them all to find out what happened, I'll be too tired and bleary-eyed to work on the music!

I've read all the notes about what we're allowed to add or change, and I understand that. I just didn't see anything on which of the three files to use. I assume it's the .CWP, but that doesn't explain why there are newer .MID files on the site then.

Thanks!
post edited by planetearth - 2010/07/22 00:46:09

SONAR Platinum ▪ NI Komplete, Korg DLC, Arturia V5 Collection, Dimension Pro, IK Multimedia & other synths ▪ Les Paul, Peavey and Yamaha guitars. Listen to some of my stuff here: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife . Comments from other SONAR users are always welcome!
bitflipper
Re:The SONAR Orchestral Library Shootout 2010/07/22 00:51:19 (permalink)
Yeh, what Randy said. Except it doesn't have to take hours. If you're using a sample library that you're already intimately familiar with, it should take less than an hour. After all, it's only a one-minute song with 16 tracks. And no vocals.

I know some folks are really going all out with this in order to show off their chops, and that's cool. I'm looking forward to being amazed. But it's not a job application. There is no prize, and we promise not to ridicule any submission. (OK, somebody might ridicule it, but you already know who those jerks are and surely expect no less from them. The rest of us just want to hear your favorite samples.)

And don't be intimidated just because orchestration isn't your thing. Even if you don't know how to spell MIDI, maybe now's the time to take that plunge! We're always here to help, and you can feel free to call Randy at home 24 hours a day.

My Stuff
bitflipper
Re:The SONAR Orchestral Library Shootout 2010/07/22 00:53:51 (permalink)
Planetearth, the new improved file just corrected some minor shortcomings, like the song not starting on the measure. Feel free to use the MIDI file or the CWP file, whichever you're more comfortable with. We only put the MIDI tracks into a SONAR project for your convenience, and so you could actually play it right away.

My Stuff
rbowser
Re:The SONAR Orchestral Library Shootout 2010/07/22 01:01:21 (permalink)
Billy, we look forward to your contribution when you find time for it - Glad you want to do one.

Bitflipper - Yeah, what You said - Thanks for answering Planetearth's questions.  To underline - the .cwp is to be preferred for Sonar users, because it's all set up with a demo of how the file plays in the GM synth TSS-1.  The MIDI file was provided for people still using older versions of Sonar, and was "improved" because I was moving too fast and made an editing error in the first version.  But the .cwp file doesn't have that same error in it.

As I've said - the more the merrier on this.  I know that everyone who takes a listen to the submitted files is going to have a very enlightening time listening to the differences and drawing their own conclusions.

Randy B.

Sonar X3e Studio
Alesis i|O2 interface
with dual monitors
Matt
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 346
Re:The SONAR Orchestral Library Shootout 2010/07/22 01:01:43 (permalink)
Great post, great idea, can't wait to hear the results.

(Have they been posted somewhere?  I sort of skimmed a couple pages I think...)

Without doing a lot of work, I was really excited to try this with my stock setup and template of sounds that I always use, just to see how it would sound.  But after I downloaded the MIDI file, I realized that I always write to the sample, and not the other way around.  I don't think there's a chance in hell I could come close to realistic with the brass, and as such, I just wouldn't take on a project like this.

I never write brass lines like this, because I don't believe they can be emulated successfully with samples.  But man I am excited to be proven wrong!  If I was asked to reproduce this track, I would probably just do a string-only rendition, or whatever I could find that would sound as close as possible to real instruments.  Write to the sample, instead of trying to make the sample sound real.
rbowser
Re:The SONAR Orchestral Library Shootout 2010/07/22 01:09:56 (permalink)
Matt

Great post, great idea, can't wait to hear the results.

(Have they been posted somewhere?  I sort of skimmed a couple pages I think...)

Without doing a lot of work, I was really excited to try this with my stock setup and template of sounds that I always use, just to see how it would sound.  But after I downloaded the MIDI file, I realized that I always write to the sample, and not the other way around.  I don't think there's a chance in hell I could come close to realistic with the brass, and as such, I just wouldn't take on a project like this.

I never write brass lines like this, because I don't believe they can be emulated successfully with samples.  But man I am excited to be proven wrong!  If I was asked to reproduce this track, I would probably just do a string-only rendition, or whatever I could find that would sound as close as possible to real instruments.  Write to the sample, instead of trying to make the sample sound real.

Hi, Matt - What an interesting post you've written.  "Write to the sample"---I've never heard that before.  I guess you mean that when you write music, you're somehow limiting yourself to what you think the limitations of your sample patches are--?  - If so, I would say that would be extremely limiting. 

The idea of using synths/samplers is to record any kind of music that exists - with the understanding that of course the results aren't going to be Just Like a group of live musicians playing the same score.  But when I put together projects, if I limited myself in any way, thinking, "Well, live players could pull this off, but samples won't, so I'll re-write my idea"---then I'm sure I wouldn't produce half of what I do. 

I advise you to think out of your particular box.  The brass lines in this piece aren't anything out of the ordinary - Samples or synths can pull them off just fine, if you'll agree to letting them do that.  In other words - I'm advising you to take back your rejection of the idea, --go ahead and cook up a version of this.  I think you'll be surprised at how far you can let yourself out of your box if you'll allow that to happen!

Randy B.

Sonar X3e Studio
Alesis i|O2 interface
with dual monitors
Matt
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 346
Re:The SONAR Orchestral Library Shootout 2010/07/22 01:34:23 (permalink)
Yeah, I took a pass at it... took me 10 minutes to get it up and assign all the tracks to the right instruments and determine that it sounds just awful.

Maybe it is limiting to 'write to the sample' but I'm not going to force a sample to do something that doesn't sound realistic.  So I guess it is limiting.  But it can also be more creative, finding a way to make the sample come to life.  I'm not going to say 'I need a brass lick that sounds like such-and-such and I'm going to find a way to force my samples to sound like that' instead I'm going to say 'how do my samples sound the best and the most realistic' and use them in such a way.

You are right that these brass parts are not very difficult, and yet I never hear stuff like this (brass in particular) reproduced to the point where it comes close to live instruments.  But I am so excited to be proven wrong.  And I own virtually every sample and sample library ever made.  But that said, I'm not much of a 'tweaker' and I don't spend a lot of time trying to reproduce live music, hence my 'write to the sample' mentality.

Back to the subject at hand: great topic.  When do we get to hear the submissions??
bitflipper
Re:The SONAR Orchestral Library Shootout 2010/07/22 01:43:07 (permalink)
I always write to the sample

I know exactly what you're talking about, Matt. You browse through your libraries, and whatever sound you fall on tells you what it wants to play. I've started songs with one concept in mind and ended up with something entirely different, just because midway I pulled up a new sample that insisted on another direction.

Writing music to a preordained specification is a lot harder. I have tremendous respect for guys who can come up with, say, circus music on demand. Or compose to some vague direction, like to "convey tension but sound like a 1980's disco". Yeh, there are guys who do that for a living. Some of them hang out here.

But you don't have to be one of those guys to participate in this exercise. Think of it as an opportunity to explore your libraries in new ways. You will probably come away from it feeling like you have some new tools in your kit.

My Stuff
planetearth
Re:The SONAR Orchestral Library Shootout 2010/07/22 02:05:15 (permalink)
I think this is a great exercise and opportunity, all while getting an idea of "how the pros" orchestrate. Thanks again for the idea, lads!

I've already found that EWQL's "Piccolo Flute" doesn't play the last note of the Piccolo track. Apparently, the good folks at EWQL believe that's outside the piccolo's true range.

If this MIDI file was made from the actual score, then I'm more inclined to believe Jerry Goldsmith knew what he was doing, and EWQL just wanted to get out of sampling a few extra notes.

SONAR Platinum ▪ NI Komplete, Korg DLC, Arturia V5 Collection, Dimension Pro, IK Multimedia & other synths ▪ Les Paul, Peavey and Yamaha guitars. Listen to some of my stuff here: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife . Comments from other SONAR users are always welcome!
Glyn Barnes
Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7564
Re:The SONAR Orchestral Library Shootout 2010/07/22 03:11:40 (permalink)
planetearth

I've already found that EWQL's "Piccolo Flute" doesn't play the last note of the Piccolo track. Apparently, the good folks at EWQL believe that's outside the piccolo's true range.

The top note on a piccolo should be C (four (?) octaves above middle C). There is however a Db piccolo which is half a tone higher. I have not had chance to look at the files yet. What note does not play.

Intel i7 3770K @4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, 240GB SSD System disk, 2 x 2TB and 1 x 1TB (with SSD Cache) HDD. Windows 10,  Sonar Platinum. Roland Quad Capture. 
Music - Switchwater on Soundclick
Music - Goldry Bluszco on Soundcloud
Guitarman1
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 380
Re:The SONAR Orchestral Library Shootout 2010/07/22 08:17:00 (permalink)
bitflipper... that is the crux of my problem, my orchestra software does not have percussion ensemble or the percussion grouped together, that was why I was not getting a sound I guess. Although logically speaking you would think the timpani would sound since I had that patch loaded. I will be working on this over the weekend to make the separate tracks... And I agree, this is not only a great exercise, but from what I read on this thread, it is taking people out of their box or comfort zone, which is a good thing.
rbowser
Re:The SONAR Orchestral Library Shootout 2010/07/22 10:15:23 (permalink)
Bitflipper, you really did start not only a great event/challenge, but also a great thread.

Matt, thanks for your new post.  I understand better what you mean now - You set the file up with a sound library and felt the results when you pushed Play were awful.  Very likely it didn't sound so great, because it's virtually impossible to just push Play and ever have satisfactory results. 

"...I'm not much of a 'tweaker' and I don't spend a lot of time trying to reproduce live music..."  I understand, and that's the issue.  The only way you can make orchestral instruments and actual music arrangements come to life is with 10 Tons of tweaking.  That's the nature of the beast.

Hope you still submit something so we can at least get some idea of what the software you chose sounds like.

Some of us write music which is specifically intended for a particular group of instruments - a string quartet, a woodwind quintet, a full orchestra.  We have to rely on software instruments to give us an idea of what the composition sounds like - hence the need for using a library or a combination of libraries to emulate what a live group of musicians would sound like.  In that writing scenario, the music itself comes first, then there are limited choices for instruments to play it.  I'm writing a piano concerto - I have to be satisfied that one of my soft pianos is going to be able to play it.

"...Back to the subject at hand: great topic.  When do we get to hear the submissions??..."

As early as this weekend.  We wanted there to be a nice bundle of MP3s to put online, and we're getting there.

Planetearth -"...I've already found that EWQL's "Piccolo Flute" doesn't play the last note of the Piccolo track. Apparently, the good folks at EWQL believe that's outside the piccolo's true range.

If this MIDI file was made from the actual score, then I'm more inclined to believe Jerry Goldsmith knew what he was doing, and EWQL just wanted to get out of sampling a few extra notes..."

This MIDI file was put together "by ear," not from the original score.  There are many places where it's not like Goldsmith's original work, and there are even some wrong notes.  I'm not positive if the piccolo goes higher than it should - but there is the Db piccolo as Glyn points out.  THe instrument I used reached the highest note, so I was OK.  But when I have a sample that isn't going low or high enough, I pitch shift the audio.

Guitarman - "...my orchestra software does not have percussion ensemble or the percussion grouped together, that was why I was not getting a sound I guess. Although logically speaking you would think the timpani would sound since I had that patch loaded. I will be working on this over the weekend to make the separate tracks..."

Right, as we've said, separating out the various instruments from that percussion track is what most people will have to do, it's what I did, and Bitflipper did also.  It's not too hard - in the PRV click one of the piano notes.  All of the notes in the entire file have been selected.  Copy and paste into your new track.  It only takes a few minutes to split the notes out that way.

Looking forward to receiving more submissions!

Randy B.

Sonar X3e Studio
Alesis i|O2 interface
with dual monitors
bitflipper
Re:The SONAR Orchestral Library Shootout 2010/07/22 10:55:43 (permalink)
It's not too hard - in the PRV click one of the piano notes. All of the notes in the entire file have been selected. Copy and paste into your new track. It only takes a few minutes to split the notes out that way.

I like to clone the original track 4 times, archive the original and then delete out the unwanted notes from each of the clones. You can highlight the instruments by dragging your mouse down the piano notes pane on the left, then hit the Del key. This, for me, is the fastest way to split a MIDI track's events into multiple tracks.

My Stuff
DeeS
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 228
Re:The SONAR Orchestral Library Shootout 2010/07/22 11:06:01 (permalink)
Planetearth -"...I've already found that EWQL's "Piccolo Flute" doesn't play the last note of the Piccolo track. Apparently, the good folks at EWQL believe that's outside the piccolo's true range.

If this MIDI file was made from the actual score, then I'm more inclined to believe Jerry Goldsmith knew what he was doing, and EWQL just wanted to get out of sampling a few extra notes..."

rbowser - This MIDI file was put together "by ear," not from the original score.  There are many places where it's not like Goldsmith's original work, and there are even some wrong notes.  I'm not positive if the piccolo goes higher than it should - but there is the Db piccolo as Glyn points out.  THe instrument I used reached the highest note, so I was OK.  But when I have a sample that isn't going low or high enough, I pitch shift the audio.

I am giving it a try with EWQL also. It's actually the low end of the register of the flute (correction - piccolo) at the end of the piece that doesn't sound. I fudged a little and moved the final note up in pitch a bit.
post edited by DeeS - 2010/07/22 12:00:32

Vista Business x64 Service pack 2 - Intel Xeon X5472 @ 3.0 GHz processors (2) Quad Core - 8.0 GB ram  -  Creative SB X-Fi  -  Nvidia Quadro 5600  -  Sonar 8.5 & X1a Producer
The problem with perfection is that it has no limits. Normally, once you obtain perfection, you realize how it could be better. David Gibson - The Art of Mixing
rbowser
Re:The SONAR Orchestral Library Shootout 2010/07/22 11:34:34 (permalink)
bitflipper

I like to clone the original track 4 times, archive the original and then delete out the unwanted notes from each of the clones. You can highlight the instruments by dragging your mouse down the piano notes pane on the left, then hit the Del key. This, for me, is the fastest way to split a MIDI track's events into multiple tracks.

Good tip, Bit - I've gone at it from that direction too, works great, only out of habit I don't clone, I just paste in multiple copies, even though that's a slightly slower way to do it.  If Cloning is used, one just needs to make sure that the copies aren't linked to the original, otherwise edits in one copy will effect the others.  But MIDI manipulation of this basic sort is very flexible and easy. 

Dees - "...It's actually the low end of the register of the flute at the end of the piece that doesn't sound..."

It's interesting that the guy who did the sequencing of this file used piccolos instead of flutes.  The real score would have both, most likely simply playing an octave apart.  It sounds like you may have added flutes but may not be playing them in the right octave?

Randy B.

Sonar X3e Studio
Alesis i|O2 interface
with dual monitors
Jimbo 88
Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1828
Re:The SONAR Orchestral Library Shootout 2010/07/22 11:35:10 (permalink)
I just dloaded the file and started looking at the score.  I'm now embaressed that I have never played with the TTS-1 before.
This is a great learning experience and i hope I can contribute something. 

Thanks for doing this
planetearth
Re:The SONAR Orchestral Library Shootout 2010/07/22 11:35:29 (permalink)
Glyn, I''m not at the machine now, but I believe the last note is a G. It's about 5 steps below the last note EWQL's Symphonic Orchestra Piccolo Flute offers. I was able to load the instrument into Kontakt 4.1 and stretch the coverage to include that note, but of course, it doesn't sound as good.

I was going to try this with a couple of different orchestra libraries that I have, so maybe a different one covers that note properly...and includes the Bass Trombone.

Still a fun exercise!

Glyn Barnes
Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7564
Re:The SONAR Orchestral Library Shootout 2010/07/22 12:20:52 (permalink)
planetearth

Glyn, I''m not at the machine now, but I believe the last note is a G. It's about 5 steps below the last note EWQL's Symphonic Orchestra Piccolo Flute offers.

That sounds about right. The lowest note on a piccalo is C.  I would try the EW Flute. I suspect it was sequenced for a GM synth, and their piccalos will go all the way down to C0

Intel i7 3770K @4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, 240GB SSD System disk, 2 x 2TB and 1 x 1TB (with SSD Cache) HDD. Windows 10,  Sonar Platinum. Roland Quad Capture. 
Music - Switchwater on Soundclick
Music - Goldry Bluszco on Soundcloud
losguy
Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5506
Re:The SONAR Orchestral Library Shootout 2010/07/22 12:32:09 (permalink)
bitflipper
Is this your version of Subtractive Synthesis?
<wink>
Edit: While I'm here... great thread Bit and Randy!
post edited by losguy - 2010/07/22 13:18:51

Psalm 30:12
All pure waves converge at the Origin
Mesh
  • Total Posts : 27360
Re:The SONAR Orchestral Library Shootout 2010/07/22 13:01:16 (permalink)
bitflipper

I always write to the sample

I know exactly what you're talking about, Matt. You browse through your libraries, and whatever sound you fall on tells you what it wants to play. I've started songs with one concept in mind and ended up with something entirely different, just because midway I pulled up a new sample that insisted on another direction.

Writing music to a preordained specification is a lot harder. I have tremendous respect for guys who can come up with, say, circus music on demand. Or compose to some vague direction, like to "convey tension but sound like a 1980's disco". Yeh, there are guys who do that for a living. Some of them hang out here.

But you don't have to be one of those guys to participate in this exercise. Think of it as an opportunity to explore your libraries in new ways. You will probably come away from it feeling like you have some new tools in your kit.

Due to lack of experience in using samples, I've fallen into or actually only been using this "circus" method. I suppose it's a lot to do with just listening to the various sounds of all the libraries I just purchased and see/hear the quality of each instrument sample. I'm also very interested in this exercise, but with my limited knowledge of using samples and not really knowing how to "tweak" them.....my input most likely will be of very little use to the experiment. I haven't really researched on finding info on "how to manipulate" samples (I always thought it's more of a trial & error), but I'll download this file & at the very least use at as a personal experimental project. This is a great thread Bit & Randy!! (Any advice is greatly appreciated)

Platinum Gaming DAW: AsRock Z77 Overclock Formula
I7 3770k @ 4.5GHz : 16GB RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X
250GB OS SSD : 3TB HDD : 1TB Sample HDD
Win 10 Pro x 64 : NH-D14 CPU Cooler 
HIS IceQ  2GB HD 7870
Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
The_Forum_Monkeys
losguy
Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5506
Re:The SONAR Orchestral Library Shootout 2010/07/22 13:32:01 (permalink)
planetearth
Glyn, I''m not at the machine now, but I believe the last note is a G. It's about 5 steps below the last note EWQL's Symphonic Orchestra Piccolo Flute offers. I was able to load the instrument into Kontakt 4.1 and stretch the coverage to include that note, but of course, it doesn't sound as good.
Not sure what algorithm Kontakt is using to stretch the notes, but more than likely it's just resampling.  One trick that could give you slightly better quality is to use a modeling pitch stretcher like V-Volcal or Melodyne.  Of course, you'll need to gain access to the sample as a WAV or somesuch... but it sounds like you might.  If the library locks the samples down, then you can get the note out by rendering it (play note then bounce audio to clip).  Then move it around in the tool tot he pitch you need (adjust formant to taste), and then import it back to the library.  If import isn't supported, well, you could just use audio clips to play the notes!

Note sure if editing/expanding libraries is getting past the intent of this thread though!

Psalm 30:12
All pure waves converge at the Origin
bitflipper
Re:The SONAR Orchestral Library Shootout 2010/07/22 13:33:49 (permalink)

I'd call it "Subtractive Editing".

(Mesh)with my limited knowledge of using samples and not really knowing how to "tweak" them...my input most likely will be of very little use to the experiment.

Don't assume that. You might be surprised what novice users are able to contribute!

As a software developer, I value the input of new users very highly because they are able to see things that experienced users don't. Every new user is a potential source of unexpected insight, and you only get to exploit that perspective for a short time so I always encourage their feedback.

We're trying to evaluate sample libraries here, not your skill level. If you find that a particular library is especially easy to grasp from the get-go, that would indeed be valuable information to share! And if the converse were true, and you found yourself going in circles vainly trying to make a cello sound like a cello, other prospective users would want to know about that, too.

My Stuff
Mesh
  • Total Posts : 27360
Re:The SONAR Orchestral Library Shootout 2010/07/22 13:54:37 (permalink)
bitflipper

I'd call it "Subtractive Editing".

(Mesh)with my limited knowledge of using samples and not really knowing how to "tweak" them...my input most likely will be of very little use to the experiment.

Don't assume that. You might be surprised what novice users are able to contribute!

As a software developer, I value the input of new users very highly because they are able to see things that experienced users don't. Every new user is a potential source of unexpected insight, and you only get to exploit that perspective for a short time so I always encourage their feedback.

We're trying to evaluate sample libraries here, not your skill level. If you find that a particular library is especially easy to grasp from the get-go, that would indeed be valuable information to share! And if the converse were true, and you found yourself going in circles vainly trying to make a cello sound like a cello, other prospective users would want to know about that, too.

Thanks Bit,
I appreciate the encouragement. On to the "tweaking" floor!!

Platinum Gaming DAW: AsRock Z77 Overclock Formula
I7 3770k @ 4.5GHz : 16GB RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X
250GB OS SSD : 3TB HDD : 1TB Sample HDD
Win 10 Pro x 64 : NH-D14 CPU Cooler 
HIS IceQ  2GB HD 7870
Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
The_Forum_Monkeys
planetearth
Re:The SONAR Orchestral Library Shootout 2010/07/22 13:56:38 (permalink)
I suspect it was sequenced for a GM synth, and their piccalos will go all the way down to C0

I'd hate to have to lift a piccolo that's big enough to produce a C0 note--it would probably have to be 12 feet long!

Note sure if editing/expanding libraries is getting past the intent of this thread though!

Losguy, I believe that would be beyond the scope of this exercise, but I agree with your methods, and have used with other samples and for other issues. I think in this case, it's just an issue of the "wrong" note in the score, if a real piccolo doesn't go that low. That said, I now know how to stretch a sample playback area in Kontakt 4.1!
post edited by planetearth - 2010/07/22 13:57:39

rbowser
Re:The SONAR Orchestral Library Shootout 2010/07/22 14:00:14 (permalink)
My co-host is doing an excellent job fielding the posts - Thanks, Bit!

Mesh, maybe it'll help to remember that the MP3 sample in the Trek folder is nothing more than the original MIDI file being played through the Sonar TTS-1 with NO editing.  All I did was put a bright mastering EQ on it.  From start to finish was no more than a few minutes since I did no editing.

Just do what you know or can figure out.  As Bit said, we're wanting to hear demos of different libraries no matter how simple or sophisticated the production process is.

Randy B.

Sonar X3e Studio
Alesis i|O2 interface
with dual monitors
bitflipper
Re:The SONAR Orchestral Library Shootout 2010/07/22 14:14:09 (permalink)
I'd hate to have to lift a piccolo that's big enough to produce a C0 note--it would probably have to be 12 feet long!

That's funny!

Actually, it would be just shy of 11 feet long.

My Stuff
Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 6 of 13
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1