Helpful ReplyThe Unofficial list of Sonar issues

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Author
sharke
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13933
Re: The Unofficial list of Sonar issues 2018/02/27 06:17:51 (permalink)
BenMMusTech
Wow some of these are really odd. I've experienced a cople, but the resetting of plugins (touchwood) seems to have been fixed. And it was fixed, when I got a new beefy computer. Perhaps there's a link? It would be an odd one, for sure. Memory perhaps memory leaks and plugins resetting?

It probably depends on which plugins you use. For example I had major issues with Native Instruments synths resetting in Sonar for ages, and then a fix was rolled out for that. Then the Quadcurve EQ had a huge problem with it (I'd open a project and every instance would have this random 16dB boost or cut in the same frequency), others reported that one, and then it stopped happening. I don't recall an "official" fix being rolled out for it, and I talked about it on the beta team. And then this almighty problem with Waves and Fabfilter EQ's. Waves Q10, Waves SSL Channel, Waves V-EQ, Fabfilter Pro-Q 2. They're all being reset at random times. I doubt whether it has anything to do with hardware issues - my machine is reasonably powerful, all up to date and runs everything else perfectly. I haven't seen any Fabfilter EQ's reset themselves in Reaper, and I've also used the plugin a lot in Mixbus without any issues. It's just been Sonar. 

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
Anderton
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: The Unofficial list of Sonar issues 2018/02/27 07:28:50 (permalink)
The most annoying problem I run into is that if you export a mono file that's close to the maximum headroom as a mono file, you'll think you're saving it but the saved version will be clipped destructively. The only way to solve this is to save the mono file as stereo. The same thing happens if you drag a mono file whose console channel is set to stereo interleave into the browser. When you drag it back from the browser, it will be clipped.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
marled
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 251
Re: The Unofficial list of Sonar issues 2018/02/27 09:05:20 (permalink)
Anderton
The most annoying problem I run into is that if you export a mono file that's close to the maximum headroom as a mono file, you'll think you're saving it but the saved version will be clipped destructively. The only way to solve this is to save the mono file as stereo. The same thing happens if you drag a mono file whose console channel is set to stereo interleave into the browser. When you drag it back from the browser, it will be clipped.

As I do work a lot with export audio in my work flow (I always do mixing with audio only, synths are rendered to audio) I had struggled also a long time with this stuff. But once I found out that an export of a stereo track to a mono file is always +3dB, I managed to find the solution. So if I want that the target of my export file is mono, then I always ensure that I force the audio track in Sonar to be mono. Unfortunately this is not so easy when you use a (not split) synth track, because you have to split the instrument track first, set the audio track to mono and then use "Make Instrument Track" to recreate a single track for the synth (if you want just 1 track). But like that I have never had the problem with the +3dB (clipping) on mono export again!

... many years before ...
MacFurse
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 324
Re: The Unofficial list of Sonar issues 2018/02/27 12:24:06 (permalink)
I can find no way to sidechain anything without a crash. I insert the plug, switch on sidechaining, set up the send from wherever, ctrl S (because clicking on save crashes the program), press spacebar (or anything whatsoever), wait for the crash, reopen Sonar, reopen the project, and all is good again, until the next sidechain insert. Matters not the size or complexity of the project, the plug being used. It can be a single audio track with nothing on it. Always the same. Not sure which version this started from so I havn't bothered to backtrack. I just accept it now as part of the workflow. It's pretty much my only issue accept for continual crashes when dragging in audio clips compiling songs ideas from sample library's. That's a drag, save, drag, save, drag, save, or pay the price...........

PITA

BIBTPTACB,BTWW
(but I've been to PT and come back, because that was worse). So I'm still happy

Platinum. i7 4771 3.5ghz. ECU H87 mobo with 3 monitor support. 16gb Ripjaws 1600mhz. Focusrite 18i20. 2 x 250gb Samsung EVO SSD's OP/Programs. 2x1TB Seagate Baracuda sata3 data drives. 200gb sata2 bootable drive for online and downloading only. Seagate 2tb USB 3.0 backup drive.  2x27in monitors. Rode K2 valve mic. Sontronics STC-1 pair. Studio Projects B1 condenser. SM58B. SM57B. Presonus Eureka Preamp.
igiwigi
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 437
Re: The Unofficial list of Sonar issues 2018/02/27 13:56:00 (permalink)
Biggy for me
Midi Edit crashing
Cactus Music
  • Total Posts : 8424
Re: The Unofficial list of Sonar issues 2018/02/27 18:15:56 (permalink)
igiwigi
Biggy for me
Midi Edit crashing

As I said yes that's my biggy too, Solution is Save, save save. or use Home Studio for all editing and return to Splat for audio etc. Did you get your free version of HS? 
http://forum.cakewalk.com/Free-copy-of-Home-Studio-m3718860.aspx

Johnny V  
Cakelab  
Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
 http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

losguy
Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5506
Re: The Unofficial list of Sonar issues 2018/02/27 19:23:39 (permalink)
sharke
There has been more than one occasion when I've requested a simple design improvement or reported a seemingly trivial bug only to be told that it couldn't be done or that fixing it would break another part of the program.

Yes that is a fairly strong sign of fragile code.

sharke
One example was when I reported that automating a ProChannel's FX Chain on/off button would not work unless the ProChannel in question was open in the console (same thing with the arpeggiator on/off button). I was told they were aware of it but had no intention of fixing it because doing so would break other things. Another example is the fact that hitting the "show automation lanes" button when no envelopes already exist automatically creates a volume envelope which takes control of the volume fader whether you want one or not,. When I suggested that hitting this button should result in an empty automation lane in this scenario, I was told that it was not possible for an automation lane to have nothing in it. These things suggest to me that the Bakers were restricted in some ways by legacy code dependencies and/or internal architecture which wasn't future proof and would require extensive rewrites to correct. If being able to automation the FX Chain on/off button would require a huge rewrite of a part of the program, it wouldn't be considered cost effective. Especially given that only a minority of users would ever want to actually do that. 

Wow, interesting issue cases there. It appears that they were already hitting the wall of decision on whether to patch-up or re-architect.

sharke
I'm sure much of this legacy code goes back a couple of decades, and that a lot of it is rock solid. But there must be aspects of it which weren't designed with 2018 software design in mind and replacing it would be a huge task, much like upgrading the NYC subway's ancient signal system (some of which is pre-war!). Things would have to be taken apart and put back together again, and who knows what kind of problems would ensue.

Wow yes, ground-up rearchitecting requires down time, which does not translate well to the release treadmill demanded by market pressures. Nevermind something the magnitude of upgrading the NYC signal system! There is a glimmer of hope that this transition to BandLab will offer an opportunity to rethink and retool. That's really why I'm hanging on right now - I have a feeling that Noel will get to finally scratch some itches that have been bothering him for a while now (heh - I almost said "bugging him").

Psalm 30:12
All pure waves converge at the Origin
sharke
Re: The Unofficial list of Sonar issues 2018/02/27 19:49:29 (permalink)
losguy
sharke
There has been more than one occasion when I've requested a simple design improvement or reported a seemingly trivial bug only to be told that it couldn't be done or that fixing it would break another part of the program.

Yes that is a fairly strong sign of fragile code.

sharke
One example was when I reported that automating a ProChannel's FX Chain on/off button would not work unless the ProChannel in question was open in the console (same thing with the arpeggiator on/off button). I was told they were aware of it but had no intention of fixing it because doing so would break other things. Another example is the fact that hitting the "show automation lanes" button when no envelopes already exist automatically creates a volume envelope which takes control of the volume fader whether you want one or not,. When I suggested that hitting this button should result in an empty automation lane in this scenario, I was told that it was not possible for an automation lane to have nothing in it. These things suggest to me that the Bakers were restricted in some ways by legacy code dependencies and/or internal architecture which wasn't future proof and would require extensive rewrites to correct. If being able to automation the FX Chain on/off button would require a huge rewrite of a part of the program, it wouldn't be considered cost effective. Especially given that only a minority of users would ever want to actually do that. 

Wow, interesting issue cases there. It appears that they were already hitting the wall of decision on whether to patch-up or re-architect.

sharke
I'm sure much of this legacy code goes back a couple of decades, and that a lot of it is rock solid. But there must be aspects of it which weren't designed with 2018 software design in mind and replacing it would be a huge task, much like upgrading the NYC subway's ancient signal system (some of which is pre-war!). Things would have to be taken apart and put back together again, and who knows what kind of problems would ensue.

Wow yes, ground-up rearchitecting requires down time, which does not translate well to the release treadmill demanded by market pressures. Nevermind something the magnitude of upgrading the NYC signal system! There is a glimmer of hope that this transition to BandLab will offer an opportunity to rethink and retool. That's really why I'm hanging on right now - I have a feeling that Noel will get to finally scratch some itches that have been bothering him for a while now (heh - I almost said "bugging him").

Well all I can say is that I hope they take their time and don't feel pressured by the market or the Cakewalk community or anyone else to resurrect Sonar ASAP. I'd love to see them start something from scratch, helped along the way by the inclusion of Sonar's good parts. 

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
Rasure
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 584
Re: The Unofficial list of Sonar issues 2018/02/27 19:55:02 (permalink)
My issues are:

*Something not right with aux tracks. A few issues listed in the topics below, and sometimes aux tracks just go completely silent. I stopped using using Aux tracks and went back to normal buses and the problems went away.
http://forum.cakewalk.com/Soft-Synth-Bleed-Between-Tracks-m3687247.aspx 
http://forum.cakewalk.com/Where-is-that-phantom-audio-m3708038.aspx
http://forum.cakewalk.com/FindPost/3722493

*The audio engine often randomly stops, even when opening a project and press play, have to repeatedly keep hitting the reset audio icon.

*Some plugins, from my experience mainly waves don`t keep their settings open opening a project.

*Soft synths go out of time, especially where looping is concerned.

*Crashes on play after deleting information in the event list view.

*Automation sometimes doesn't work.

*Normalize bug: Video to reproduce here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5tQxFQdXF4
forum thread http://forum.cakewalk.com/FindPost/3658242 

[ASUS Z97-K 3.30 gigahertz Intel Core i5-4590]
[16 Gig Ram]
[NVIDIA GeForce GTX1050 Ti 1920 X 1080]
[Windows 10 Pro x64]
[Sonar Platinum x64 Lifetime]
[Studio One 4 Pro]
[Notion 6]
[Waves Mercury + Abbey Road & SSL Collection V10]
[Mackie Onyx 400f]

YouTube | 10% Off Waves | Rasuresphere II Omnisphere Library & Midi Stems
mettelus
Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5321
Re: The Unofficial list of Sonar issues 2018/02/27 20:00:47 (permalink)
Adobe Audition got a complete overhaul between versions 3 & 4, but some modules came back as they were. If torn into its piece parts, it would be interesting to see what SONAR would look like if it could be "built to 2018."

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
Kev999
Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3922
Re: The Unofficial list of Sonar issues 2018/02/27 20:22:51 (permalink)
Rasure
*Something not right with aux tracks...

Yes, and in a way that's hard to pin down. I get weird behaviour using external inserts on a track that has its output set to an Aux track. Solo buttons don't behave correctly in some situations where Aux tracks are somewhere in the routing. Sorry that I can't be more specific.

SonarPlatinum(22.11.0.111)|Mixbus32C(4.3.19)|DigitalPerformer(9.5.1)|Reaper(5.77)
FractalDesign:DefineR5|i7-6850k@4.1GHz|16GB@2666MHz-DDR4|MSI:GamingProCarbonX99a|Matrox:M9148(x2)|UAD2solo(6.5.2)|W7Ult-x64-SP1
Audient:iD22+ASP800|KRK:VXT6|+various-outboard-gear|+guitars&basses, etc.
Having fun at work lately
Kev999
Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3922
Re: The Unofficial list of Sonar issues 2018/02/27 20:25:59 (permalink)
Rasure
*Automation sometimes doesn't work.

I often find that bus automation stops working. Sometimes it works on some clips while not working on others. Closing the project and re-opening always puts it right again.

SonarPlatinum(22.11.0.111)|Mixbus32C(4.3.19)|DigitalPerformer(9.5.1)|Reaper(5.77)
FractalDesign:DefineR5|i7-6850k@4.1GHz|16GB@2666MHz-DDR4|MSI:GamingProCarbonX99a|Matrox:M9148(x2)|UAD2solo(6.5.2)|W7Ult-x64-SP1
Audient:iD22+ASP800|KRK:VXT6|+various-outboard-gear|+guitars&basses, etc.
Having fun at work lately
Paulchen14666
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5
Re: The Unofficial list of Sonar issues 2018/02/27 22:01:19 (permalink)
change the view to audiotransients has the problem, that a lot of the markers are not at the right position(the threshold has nothing to do with this problem),
In percussive material it really should not be any problem. So I first have to delete all wrong markers or drag them to the correct position before i can quantize the snare. That takes so much time
sharke
Re: The Unofficial list of Sonar issues 2018/02/27 22:22:40 (permalink)
With regard aux tracks, could it be possible that you don't have input monitoring enabled on them? You need to have that enabled to hear them. Got me a few times. An example of poor design rather than a bug though - it's really counterintuitive and almost certain to cause confusion among people who, quite reasonably, presume that an aux track should be heard straight out of the box without having to enable anything. 

James
losguy
Re: The Unofficial list of Sonar issues 2018/02/27 22:42:46 (permalink)
sharke
Well all I can say is that I hope they take their time and don't feel pressured by the market or the Cakewalk community or anyone else to resurrect Sonar ASAP. I'd love to see them start something from scratch, helped along the way by the inclusion of Sonar's good parts. 

Oh now, sharke, I know you can say more than that  

But seriously, Amen; I couldn't echo your sentiments more. I do get the sense that Meng/BandLab have the right combination of deep pockets AND good vision to see something like this through in a good way. So for me at least, there is hope and a great deal of interest.

msmcleod
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 920
Re: The Unofficial list of Sonar issues 2018/02/27 22:57:19 (permalink)
sharke
Another example is the fact that hitting the "show automation lanes" button when no envelopes already exist automatically creates a volume envelope which takes control of the volume fader whether you want one or not,. When I suggested that hitting this button should result in an empty automation lane in this scenario, I was told that it was not possible for an automation lane to have nothing in it.

If that's the case, surely the easiest thing would be to popup a confirmation dialog at that point - or even better a dialog asking you what sort of envelope you want... with a cancel button.

M.
sharke
Re: The Unofficial list of Sonar issues 2018/02/27 23:14:29 (permalink)
msmcleod
sharke
Another example is the fact that hitting the "show automation lanes" button when no envelopes already exist automatically creates a volume envelope which takes control of the volume fader whether you want one or not,. When I suggested that hitting this button should result in an empty automation lane in this scenario, I was told that it was not possible for an automation lane to have nothing in it.

If that's the case, surely the easiest thing would be to popup a confirmation dialog at that point - or even better a dialog asking you what sort of envelope you want... with a cancel button.

M.

I think the easiest and most logical behavior would be for an empty lane to appear, ready to be populated by whichever parameter you choose from the dropdown. I'm pretty sure that's how the vast majority of people would expect it to work. 

That's if they want to retain Sonar's basic automation functionality of course. Doing a ton of automation in Reaper really opened my eyes as to how much better it can be. A button brings up a huge window showing every possible parameter possible to automate, from basic mix controls to all of your plugins and synths. Each plugin's parameters can be collapsed if there are too many and you want to get them out of the way. Every parameter has "visible" and "arm" checkboxes, and when you click "visible" on a parameter it creates a lane for it. So you can select all of your automation parameters in seconds with just a few clicks. Compare this with having to click the "+" button and scroll through a huge menu list just to create one lane in Sonar. And in the Reaper automation dialog you can choose to show all active lanes or hide all of them, or choose which ones to show on a lane by lane basis. Then you can resize them all independently of each other. It works so well that when I go back to Sonar's automation now I get incredibly frustrated. 

James
losguy
Re: The Unofficial list of Sonar issues 2018/02/27 23:19:46 (permalink)
msmcleod
sharke

M.

I am always peeved when someone says something is "not possible" to implement in software. The devil is in the details, though. For example, somebody may have started the lane count with an increment of zero, so that the first lane was "harcoded" and hence tough to resolve as an empty count. (There are stable workarounds for this too, of course.)

CarriageHouse
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4
Re: The Unofficial list of Sonar issues 2018/02/28 07:28:01 (permalink)
Question are your waves plugins cracked or not current version?

I used to have this problem until I went legit with Waves and afterwards plugins losing their settings stopped happening to me.
shawn@trustmedia.tv
Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2136
Re: The Unofficial list of Sonar issues 2018/02/28 07:49:55 (permalink)
ONE used to be able to CTRL+CLICK+DRAG IN/OUT to STRECH an audio clip...no more.

ONE sad...

as it was shall it be again?

YES ONE!

Studio SONAR X3. Axiom 25 midi controller, DUNE 2, Producer Content, Good Times, Bandlab Mojo

cyberzip
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 613
Re: The Unofficial list of Sonar issues 2018/02/28 08:57:58 (permalink)
I am rather relieved that I have never had the issues below that were reported by others in this thread:
  • Plugins losing settings
  • Sidechain crashes
  • Midi editing crashes
  • Non-working automation
  • Huge delays on MIDI arpeggiator
I feel with you, I would go totally nuts if I had those issues! I am using the last released Sonar 2017.10.

Hm, stretching audio clips is CTRL + SHIFT + drag nowadays, although that took me some time to get used to as well...
sharke
Re: The Unofficial list of Sonar issues 2018/02/28 13:36:10 (permalink)
CarriageHouse

I used to have this problem until I went legit with Waves and afterwards plugins losing their settings stopped happening to me.

None of my plugins are cracked and they're always up to date.

James
a6strng
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 107
Re: The Unofficial list of Sonar issues 2018/02/28 14:35:06 (permalink)
Audio dropout! When switching around in the asio panel for a different buffer size, I usually get the audio dropout. 

Paul M
i7- 7700K CPU @ 4.20 GHz
16 GB DDR4 RAM/Windows 10 64-bit Operating System
Sonar Platinum version 22.12 /Focusrite 6i6/

https://soundcloud.com/pa.../running-for-your-life

Rasure
  • Total Posts : 584
Re: The Unofficial list of Sonar issues 2018/02/28 20:45:08 (permalink)
sharke
With regard aux tracks, could it be possible that you don't have input monitoring enabled on them? You need to have that enabled to hear them. Got me a few times. An example of poor design rather than a bug though - it's really counterintuitive and almost certain to cause confusion among people who, quite reasonably, presume that an aux track should be heard straight out of the box without having to enable anything. 

Agree, but input monitoring is not my the issue here. I know I have a few projects with issues, will try and make a video at some point to illustrate the problems :-)

CarriageHouse

All legal and current here :-)

[ASUS Z97-K 3.30 gigahertz Intel Core i5-4590]
[16 Gig Ram]
[NVIDIA GeForce GTX1050 Ti 1920 X 1080]
[Windows 10 Pro x64]
[Sonar Platinum x64 Lifetime]
[Studio One 4 Pro]
[Notion 6]
[Waves Mercury + Abbey Road & SSL Collection V10]
[Mackie Onyx 400f]

YouTube | 10% Off Waves | Rasuresphere II Omnisphere Library & Midi Stems
LLyons
  • Total Posts : 574
Re: The Unofficial list of Sonar issues 2018/02/28 23:02:44 (permalink)
Sharke - I know this doesn't help but for the life of me, and I don't want to trivialize it, I have not stumbled on a waves setting not being saved.  My projects regularly have 20 to 30 waves tools on them, and I am editing roughly 3 hours every day,  so I believe that I SHOULD be seeing this behavior.   It could be many things, I know - but I DO NOT USE MIDI - I wonder if that might hold a clue.  

L Lyons 
DOS and Windows Pro Audio 2-9 from 12 Tone, Sonar 2, 2XL, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 8.5, Producer, Producer Expanded, X1 Producer, X2 Producer, X3 Producer and now Sonar Platinum 64 bit - 2nd year
Home Built Machine
32G Ram - Corsair Vengeance DDR4 
Win 10 Pro
Intel i7-6700K
Gigabyte Z170-UD5 Thunderbolt3 - AVB ready
Planar Hellium 27 touchscreen
Limited connection to internet
DAW use ONLY
WAVES 9.2 64 Bit 
MOTU 1248 - Connect Thunderbolt
MOTU AVB Switch
Presonus RM32ai - Connect firewire 800
CS18ai - Connect AVB
sharke
Re: The Unofficial list of Sonar issues 2018/03/01 00:12:04 (permalink)
LLyons
Sharke - I know this doesn't help but for the life of me, and I don't want to trivialize it, I have not stumbled on a waves setting not being saved.  My projects regularly have 20 to 30 waves tools on them, and I am editing roughly 3 hours every day,  so I believe that I SHOULD be seeing this behavior.   It could be many things, I know - but I DO NOT USE MIDI - I wonder if that might hold a clue.  

Well Sonar is definitely sending these plugins a message telling them to reset themselves. What form that message takes, I don't know. There could be multiple sources for these erroneous messages. I've seen these resets happen when the project loads as well as in the middle of a session. I've seen it happen when starting or stopping the transport and I've also seen Waves EQ's have bands adjusted (gain and Hz values) through doing something as simple as turning the ProChannel on/off, as demonstrated here:

The problem is always with EQ's. I've seen it in the Waves Q10, the Waves V-EQ, Fabfilter Pro-Q 2 and also the Quadcurve. Someone else on the beta team said they had seen it happen with the Quadcurve when moving the playhead back and forward across the timeline. 

There must be something peculiar to EQ's which differentiate them from other plugins, otherwise I'd be seeing the same thing in other kinds of plugins. I think it must be that EQ parameters in VST's share the same internal ID's or something like that, and Sonar is firing off messages to these ID's somehow. Sonar definitely has a serious problem with MIDI leakage and I've seen all kinds of weird things happen, like hitting mute or solo on an audio track firing off a MIDI message to a synth on a completely unrelated track. Imagine hearing a drum machine trigger a kick drum every time you hit the mute button on a vocal, for instance. I've heard lots of talk of MIDI crosstalk in Sonar, as discussed here

I think in general, Sonar has the potential to throw around MIDI and CC messages to places they're not supposed to be. But I'm not even sure if this is the full story - as I've mentioned before, Noel once said that an earlier problem with plugins losing their settings was due to a bug in the ARA implementation. It's hard as a layman to understand exactly how all these issues tie together or whether they're all totally separate, but one thing's for sure - they exist, and many people have experienced them. Maybe this is one of those areas in which Sonar really needs a good taking apart and putting back together again.....

James
chuckebaby
  • Total Posts : 13146
Re: The Unofficial list of Sonar issues 2018/03/01 01:10:31 (permalink)
tried using VST 2 instead ?

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

sharke
Re: The Unofficial list of Sonar issues 2018/03/01 01:13:16 (permalink)
That could be it, but at this point I'm in the process of transferring all of my active projects to a DAW that can hold onto plugin settings (regardless of VST2 or VST3), so I guess it doesn't matter one way or the other. Might be something for the new Sonar team to look into though, perhaps there are still some bugs related to VST3 compatibility. 

James
bluebeat1313
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 122
Re: The Unofficial list of Sonar issues 2018/03/01 02:03:06 (permalink)
I raised the question a few month ago, but was met with sword and shield replies saying:

"Yes, that is what we wanted"  I will try to rephrase my concern, maybe a kind soul will understand what I mean and hopefully backs my request to a new tech team of Sonar.

Sonar with one of the last updates enabled a feature where new recordings utilize  "EMPTY SPACES" of take lanes, placing recorded content randomly,  not to create additional take lanes.
The logic is fine with me. I get it!!  BUT it also records takes  to muted takes. Muted takes means... that I do NOT want to hear them. Why in the world it would record there?
To me this is a MATH 101 mistake. It just does not make any logical sense  to deliberately record stuff on muted lane. I doubt that in real life situation anybody here would record anything on muted lane.

This is probably my biggest nemesis in Sonar, since I am mostly using it to record live vocals... And I would appreciate if this bug was fixed or possibly an option to tick to "NOT to place new recorded content on muted take lanes"  

If it maters to somebody besides me, I wrote to Sonar tech support when it was still part of  Gibson.  A few weeks later I received a reply. They admitted a bug, but it was never corrected. My sincere hope that 
Bandlab will take this in consideration and improve this bug.

Maybe there is a feature that I am unaware of, if so, kindly point me to it.... to avoid automatic recorded content to be placed on previously muted lane.

I know work arounds.. to create a new track...for example, but that diminishes whole idea of take lanes.

Thank you.
LLyons
  • Total Posts : 574
Re: The Unofficial list of Sonar issues 2018/03/01 03:12:20 (permalink)
sharke
LLyons

Well Sonar is definitely sending these plugins a message telling them to reset themselves. What form that message takes, I don't know. There could be multiple sources for these erroneous messages. I've seen these resets happen when the project loads as well as in the middle of a session. I've seen it happen when starting or stopping the transport and I've also seen Waves EQ's have bands adjusted (gain and Hz values) through doing something as simple as turning the ProChannel on/off, as demonstrated here:

The problem is always with EQ's. I've seen it in the Waves Q10, the Waves V-EQ, Fabfilter Pro-Q 2 and also the Quadcurve. Someone else on the beta team said they had seen it happen with the Quadcurve when moving the playhead back and forward across the timeline. 

There must be something peculiar to EQ's which differentiate them from other plugins, otherwise I'd be seeing the same thing in other kinds of plugins. I think it must be that EQ parameters in VST's share the same internal ID's or something like that, and Sonar is firing off messages to these ID's somehow. Sonar definitely has a serious problem with MIDI leakage and I've seen all kinds of weird things happen, like hitting mute or solo on an audio track firing off a MIDI message to a synth on a completely unrelated track. Imagine hearing a drum machine trigger a kick drum every time you hit the mute button on a vocal, for instance. I've heard lots of talk of MIDI crosstalk in Sonar, as discussed here

I think in general, Sonar has the potential to throw around MIDI and CC messages to places they're not supposed to be. But I'm not even sure if this is the full story - as I've mentioned before, Noel once said that an earlier problem with plugins losing their settings was due to a bug in the ARA implementation. It's hard as a layman to understand exactly how all these issues tie together or whether they're all totally separate, but one thing's for sure - they exist, and many people have experienced them. Maybe this is one of those areas in which Sonar really needs a good taking apart and putting back together again.....

I believed you before you posted the image.  I just tested inserting Q10 and LP EQ in the effects bin and in the pro channel.  Played with them hoping I could replicate using what I was seeing, and I could not.  I tried saving and exiting the program, no avail.  Theres something else in the equation that I am missing, but I did try.  

Well, I hope you fair better in the days ahead with your new DAW.  I purchased another and am enjoying the learning curve.  They have different pluses and minuses so to speak, and I will keep both. 

Take care,

LL

L Lyons 
DOS and Windows Pro Audio 2-9 from 12 Tone, Sonar 2, 2XL, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 8.5, Producer, Producer Expanded, X1 Producer, X2 Producer, X3 Producer and now Sonar Platinum 64 bit - 2nd year
Home Built Machine
32G Ram - Corsair Vengeance DDR4 
Win 10 Pro
Intel i7-6700K
Gigabyte Z170-UD5 Thunderbolt3 - AVB ready
Planar Hellium 27 touchscreen
Limited connection to internet
DAW use ONLY
WAVES 9.2 64 Bit 
MOTU 1248 - Connect Thunderbolt
MOTU AVB Switch
Presonus RM32ai - Connect firewire 800