X1: Crashing like crazy

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 6
Author
Disturbed1
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 17
Re:Goodbye Cake 2011/01/29 15:13:42 (permalink)
slartabartfast

This is getting to be a common refrain. Someone is having trouble with our favorite DAW. His frustration reaches the point where all he can think to do is to find another program, and he feels the need to complain to someone. He posts to the forum and gets the usual skepticism, (is he a mole for a competitor trying to do viral negative advertising?), resentment (how can he criticize our DAW friend when he has done nothing to make it better?) and dismissal (we won't miss you a****ole).

Some people find it an entertaining puzzle to master software. They find it a challenge to find workarounds, spot bugs and share their discoveries with their fellow users. Most to the regular contributors to this forum are in that group.

Many more people see software as a device to achieve a purpose. They want/expect it to work as described, and they find it frustrating if not infuriating when it does not. They do not have either the emotional or intellectual resources to tinker with it.

But do these responses make sense to someone who is not either a dedicated Cakewalk fan, or a software adventurer? Most of us as people have had the experience of finding something (often but not always technology) frustrating to the point that we not only want to stop trying, but want to complain to someone. Giving up is a rational response, that keeps us from wasting more of our life in frustration. Complaining (especially to strangers who have no hope of helping) is an irrational expression of the anger and frustration the struggle has produced.

Why do you resent it when someone expresses his frustration? Why do you jump to defend the software and attack the user who posts his howl of angst? Are you really identifying so much with a piece of digital code that you take it as criticism of yourself or of a friend? That is making the same mistake as the poster who thinks anyone on this forum gives a damn that he is upset--only in reverse.

Nicely said.

And really, how much "tinkering" should you have to do in order to get things to work properly? I couldn't get X1 to stop crashing or freezing, but it wasn't for lack of trying. I think it's Cake's job to do that legwork for you. Defending Cake's shortcoming in that regard is just plain crazy if you ask me.
Scott Lee
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1120
Re:Goodbye Cake 2011/01/29 15:15:29 (permalink)
"for a couple weeks"

Its actually been nearly 2 months with a possible march release of the patch. Id say a couple of weeks is way off.

Also I think the undertone message with folks is Sonar has had issues for many many years "gapless audio, presistence bugs, half baked plugins". A lot of problems just get looked over by the developer (Still waiting for my 1997 summited bug to be fixed. The Program patch change on every playback. This makes hardware synths hic up every single time and stops audio for a few moments).

Years or not, if you dont see the light at the end of the tunnel, youll usually go somewhere you will.

Best,

Scott Lee (ASCAP)
SFX Media 
Song Composer / Engineer / Audio Director

http://www.youtube.com/user/Dezacrator?feature=mhee

Jumbicat
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 406
Re:Goodbye Cake 2011/01/29 15:19:23 (permalink)
What type of issues Disturbed1? The program freezing? Are you viewing the crash dump files? In my case after two weeks of no problems, I'm seeing crashes attributed to Dim Pro. It's quite possible, I'm seeing a downside to Solid State Drives. There's too many variables that can be the problem.  Don't give up so easy.
post edited by Jumbicat - 2011/01/29 15:21:43

Win7Pro64Bit-AMD-1090t -4 GIG OC DDR3-2k-GTX-465-C300 SATA6-SSD 64G-Sonar 8.5,X2a - Pro Tools Digi-001, a few Axon controllers
http://soundcloud.com/jumbicat
chuckebaby
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13146
Re:Goodbye Cake 2011/01/29 15:24:19 (permalink)
im fairly new to the forum and i am a cakewalk supporter..ive fought off a few people already on here just trying to sink this product..im not sure if this is the case..ive been frustrated as well as a few others and sometime you need to vent..alot of others come here to vent..but if you read some of these comments,wow..not sure how to put this..questioning the user as to his authenticity?sometimes i just jump in on the crowd and be like everyone else to fit in..that ive been guilty of.not this time..if you love this product so much..like i do..why not try and convince him to stick it out or ask him what his problem is..like im going to...whats up disturbed?..is there anything i can do to help?..you might wanna wait for the update rather than flushing your money away by dropping x1..its got a lot of potential and it can do alot for you..now what can i do?
Max Output Level: -25.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4951
Re:Goodbye Cake 2011/01/29 15:32:48 (permalink)
chuckebaby

im fairly new to the forum and i am a cakewalk supporter..ive fought off a few people already on here just trying to sink this product..

First, that's a crazy assumption and no one can really sink Sonar but Cake. Second, when where they handing out junior forum police badges? How is it your job to fight off anyone over this software that really has nothing to do with you or your family?
guitarmikeh
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 942
Re:Goodbye Cake 2011/01/29 15:44:48 (permalink)
come on everybody lets change things up. sing along....

good bye yellow brick road, where the dogs of society howl.
you can't lock me in your penthouse. I'm going back to my plow.

just trying to add some levity.

I harbor no ill will towards any man.
HumbleNoise
Max Output Level: -46 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2946
Re:Goodbye Cake 2011/01/29 15:48:21 (permalink)
I'm saying 5 pages before the day ends. Any takers?

Humbly Yours

Larry

Sonar X2 x64
MAudio 2496
Yamaha MG 12/4
Roland XV-88
Intel MB with Q6600 and 4 GB Ram
NVidia 9800 GTX
Windows 7 x64 Home Premium
chuckebaby
Re:Goodbye Cake 2011/01/29 15:51:34 (permalink)
10Ten

chuckebaby

im fairly new to the forum and i am a cakewalk supporter..ive fought off a few people already on here just trying to sink this product..

First, that's a crazy assumption and no one can really sink Sonar but Cake. Second, when where they handing out junior forum police badges? How is it your job to fight off anyone over this software that really has nothing to do with you or your family?
just trying to help ten...you should try it sometime rather than attacking people who post things you dont like to hear...i mean wasnt brandon telling this the other night?
i guess it dont matter cause im not playing your game...good luck though.
iamdunker
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 84
Re:Goodbye Cake 2011/01/29 15:58:37 (permalink)
i did a clean windows 7 install then a new x1 install.  This is the only daw on my pc and i have not had a single problem for 1 week now,  not a single white screen or lockup.  I did have 8.5 and studio 1(a toy imo) and x1 all installed on the same computer and was having quite a few problems so i tried the fresh start approach and it has worked great.
Re:Goodbye Cake 2011/01/29 15:58:38 (permalink)
chuckebaby

10Ten

chuckebaby

just trying to help ten...you should try it sometime rather than attacking people who post things you dont like to hear...i mean wasnt brandon telling this the other night?
i guess it dont matter cause im not playing your game...good luck though.

How is "fighting off" people helping? Isn't fighting people attacking them? Who made it your job to defend Sonar?
guitarmikeh
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 942
Re:Goodbye Cake 2011/01/29 16:00:58 (permalink)
You know I find I rather odd that this thread has gotten more views...
(4 hundred somthing) than real issues like mine. ( 170 views)

what the hell does this say about this "so called" community? think about it.
no need to respond to me. I wont be coming back in this room. you guys are just itching to fight. have at it. maybe y'all should meet up and have a real dust up.

I harbor no ill will towards any man.
chuckebaby
Re:Goodbye Cake 2011/01/29 16:03:28 (permalink)
nice job sinking to new lows bring my family into this post too..
chuckebaby
Re:Goodbye Cake 2011/01/29 16:05:32 (permalink)
10Ten

chuckebaby

ya see...written write there..."nothing to do with you or your family"..
Re:Goodbye Cake 2011/01/29 16:07:16 (permalink)
chuckebaby

nice job sinking to new lows bring my family into this post too..

That's just it. I didn't bring your family into this THREAD because Sonar has nothing to do with your family. All Sonar is to you is a piece of software you like. There is no reason for you to be the great defender of it. Hell, you just registered here a couple weeks ago. How attached to X1 could you possibly be?
chuckebaby
Re:Goodbye Cake 2011/01/29 16:12:33 (permalink)
why dont you go be misarble somewhere else rather than questioning my attachment to sonar..this is becoming an every day thing with you hu?..always knocking down someone who has something good to say about this product..when i regestered is none of your buisiness..ive been using cakewalk since pro audio 9...does that matter...no..but i guess it does to you..im trying to help the op..thats why im in here right now...what are you doing?...trying to find an arguement...good luck with that..im interacting anymore with you
Re:Goodbye Cake 2011/01/29 16:17:03 (permalink)
chuckebaby

why dont you go be misarble somewhere else rather than questioning my attachment to sonar..this is becoming an every day thing with you hu?..always knocking down someone who has something good to say about this product..when i regestered is none of your buisiness..ive been using cakewalk since pro audio 9...does that matter...no..but i guess it does to you..im trying to help the op..thats why im in here right now...what are you doing?...trying to find an arguement...good luck with that..im interacting anymore with you

Can you point out where he asked for you help?
Supercomposer
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 259
Re:Goodbye Cake 2011/01/29 16:23:26 (permalink)
Deinstalled X1a after the ASIO fiasco, I am all on Cubase 6 x64 now and it is simply and truly amazing.  I have never ever seen a x.0 release that was so extremely well polished.
All I am waiting for now regarding Sonar is the X1b patch, to finally know if I´ll keep Sonar for some electronic genre stuff i usually preferred it for, but if it does not deliver I´ll dump it for good. Too much time wasted already!! And I hate to waste time on a half finished product which is only frustrating to work in.
You know what, I realized instead of fooling around with unfinished code, I can invest my time way better by simply learning a different product, that is a better investment in my own software skills, and better for my nerves!
post edited by Supercomposer - 2011/01/29 16:29:17

ME is the Supercomposer, and all your base are belong to us (Yes, I mean Germany)

System Spec: CPU 2x X7560 Xeon 16-Core, 48 GIG Ram Kingston, Intel with Supermicro Workstation MP Boards, RME HDSPe, PNY Quadro 6000
FastBikerBoy
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 11326
Re:Goodbye Cake 2011/01/29 16:25:36 (permalink)
HumbleNoise

I'm not betting against a dead cert - once all the trolls have jumped in it's only a matter of time. There's a couple here already.
Disturbed1
Re:Goodbye Cake 2011/01/29 16:27:55 (permalink)
chuckebaby

im fairly new to the forum and i am a cakewalk supporter..ive fought off a few people already on here just trying to sink this product..im not sure if this is the case..ive been frustrated as well as a few others and sometime you need to vent..alot of others come here to vent..but if you read some of these comments,wow..not sure how to put this..questioning the user as to his authenticity?sometimes i just jump in on the crowd and be like everyone else to fit in..that ive been guilty of.not this time..if you love this product so much..like i do..why not try and convince him to stick it out or ask him what his problem is..like im going to...whats up disturbed?..is there anything i can do to help?..you might wanna wait for the update rather than flushing your money away by dropping x1..its got a lot of potential and it can do alot for you..now what can i do?

Thanks!

Because there are so many people asking, and I'm really curious to see if the forums can help, here is a highlights list of what I've been seeing in X1:

1. X1 starts up fine, scans the vst folders, and loads my previous 8.5.3 projects, but locks up when I try to open any of the effects in an fx bin.  Occasionally the effect will load up, but then it locks up when I try to adjust any of the parameters. By "lock up" I mean Sonar is totally unresponsive. I have to run the task manager to close the program. The frusterating thing is that it varies from one plugin to another. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't.
Tech support blamed this on a faulty installation and/or corrupt plugin files. So I reinstalled Sonar while on the phone with support. That didn't change anything. So on my own I reformatted my PC & went from XP to Windows 7, as I thought newer software might function better on a newer platform. Still no improvement. I doubted that it had to do with corrupt plugin files as some of the plugins involved are CW plugs, but I reinstalled some of the 3rd party ones anyway just to see if it would help. Nothing. Cakewalk took note of my system specs and are trying to recreate this in their lab.

2. Whenever I drag an effect from the browser into any FX bit I get a crash to desktop. This happens every time.

Those are the 2 specific issues that I have with X1. My othere complaints have to do with general unpredictibility. Sometimes when starting or stopping playback, I get the "Sonar.exe has encountered an error and needs to close". Sometimes deleting an audio track from a project will cause a crash to the desktop, sometimes it won't.

The most entertaining crash I had was when I was closing X1. I had saved and closed the project, then went file--exit and got the Sonar.exe needs to close prompt.

As you can see, the problem is really just unpredictibility. I never really know what is going to trigger a crash, although I do know it's much more likly to happen if I try to load an effect. Like I said earlier, this is on the same system that ran 8.5.3 for about a year without issue. In fact 8.5.3 still runs great. (now on windows 7) It's also stable with Pro Tools 9.

As you can imagine it's pretty much impossible to get anything done working like this. Not to mention that I'm constantly worried that any work I do get done will be negated by some random crash.

System specs: AMD Phenom II 940, Windows 7 32 bit, M-Audio Profire 610 (with current drivers), Geforce 9800 GT, 4Gb Patriot RAM, Axiom 25 Midi controller, Mackie big knob, M-Audio BX8a monitors.

Thanks for all the offers to help.

D

Jumbicat
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 406
Re:Goodbye Cake 2011/01/29 16:32:57 (permalink)
Windows Event Viewer?  Nothing in the file with Sonar?

Win7Pro64Bit-AMD-1090t -4 GIG OC DDR3-2k-GTX-465-C300 SATA6-SSD 64G-Sonar 8.5,X2a - Pro Tools Digi-001, a few Axon controllers
http://soundcloud.com/jumbicat
trimph1
Max Output Level: -12 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6348
Re:Goodbye Cake 2011/01/29 16:33:45 (permalink)
guitarmikeh

You know I find I rather odd that this thread has gotten more views...
(4 hundred somthing) than real issues like mine. ( 170 views)

what the hell does this say about this "so called" community? think about it.
no need to respond to me. I wont be coming back in this room. you guys are just itching to fight. have at it. maybe y'all should meet up and have a real dust up.
This is not really surprising ...you should see some of the modeling forums I go to... ....you want to see real hoohaws...someone can post some innocuous question and get a full scale flamewar instead....

I guess getting a practical answer does not promote DRAMA and Conflict quite so much...

As to the OP's original point...it is sad to see someone leave but I can see the point...if it is too frustrating then it may be the thing to do....

The space you have will always be exceeded in direct proportion to the amount of stuff you have...Thornton's Postulate.

Bushpianos
FastBikerBoy
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 11326
Re:Goodbye Cake 2011/01/29 16:35:38 (permalink)
I don't know exactly what tech support advised but if you want to find out which plugs are causing the trouble there is a method it just depends on how much time you are willing to invest.

Disable all of the plugs and then enable them in batches of 3 or 4. Then re-create the steps that cause the lock up. If it doesn't lock up you haven't hit the rogue plug(s) yet as soon as you get a lock up you'll know it's one or more of the last batch you enabled.

Whether you think that's worth trying or not is up to you of course.
Disturbed1
Re:Goodbye Cake 2011/01/29 16:38:08 (permalink)
It was not my intention to cause fighting on the forum. I didn't think my OP would spark so much debate.... It was really supposed to be directed to any Cakewalk people on the forums.

Please have a look at the list of X1 issues I was having & let me know if you have any ideas. Thanks,

D

trimph1
Re:Goodbye Cake 2011/01/29 16:40:20 (permalink)
So when you put any effect into the fx bin it goes straight to desktop? On all of them?

Memory issues maybe?

The space you have will always be exceeded in direct proportion to the amount of stuff you have...Thornton's Postulate.

Bushpianos
Middleman
Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4397
Re:Goodbye Cake 2011/01/29 16:40:55 (permalink)
Hey Brandon, before I help Disturbed1, can you look up his email and tell me if he is a registered user? I don't want to help someone who owns a cracked copy.

Gear: A bunch of stuff.
thomasabarnes
Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3234
Re:Goodbye Cake 2011/01/29 16:41:26 (permalink)

LOL I'm certainly not taking that bet, LOL

"It's not a song till it touches your heart. It's not a song till it tears you apart!" Lyrics of Amy Grant.

SONAR Platinum X64 (jBridge), Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit, Core i7 990X Extreme Edition Processor 3.46 GHz 6 Cores, Gigabyte EX58-UD5, Crucial Ballistix 24GB 1333MHz DDR3 @1333 MHz, TASCAM UH-7000, Behringer X-Touch, EVGA GTX 980TI Superclocked 6GB, 1TB Samsung EVO 850 SSD, 150GB, 320GB, 1TB 7200rpm HDDs
trimph1
Re:Goodbye Cake 2011/01/29 16:43:49 (permalink)
thomasabarnes

LOL I'm certainly not taking that bet, LOL

Nope....something about bargepoles and distances....

Bushpianos
Dave Modisette
  • Total Posts : 11050
Re:Goodbye Cake 2011/01/29 16:44:03 (permalink)
I told myself I didn't have a horse in this race so I wasn't going to get involved but..

Are you running  32 bit or 64 bit O/S? 

Dave Modisette ... rocks a Purrrfect Audio Studio Pro rig.

http://www.gatortraks.com 
My music.
... And of course, the Facebook page. 
chrisharbin
Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1852
Re:Goodbye Cake 2011/01/29 16:45:09 (permalink)
more edit
post edited by chrisharbin - 2011/01/29 17:22:52

i7 860/MSI mobo/8GB ram/win7x64ultimate/X2/profire 610/oxygen 61/running 48k currently.
SteveStrummerUK
  • Total Posts : 31112
Re:Goodbye Cake 2011/01/29 16:46:27 (permalink)
Disturbed1

1. X1 starts up fine, scans the vst folders....

Hi there Bret

I don't know if you realised, but you can turn off the automatic VST scan when you load X1; it's in Edit > Preferences > VST Settings - just uncheck the option.

Couple this with FastBikerBoy's advice to reinstall your plug-ins might help get this sorted quicker.

Steve

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 6
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1