X1: Crashing like crazy

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 6
Author
SteveStrummerUK
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 31112
Re:Goodbye Cake 2011/01/29 17:50:32 (permalink)
Supercomposer

.... yet others, mostly the known fanbois here who obviously do nothing than opening the program and look at it, but mostly work on their post count here at the forum. 

Harsh, but fair

I'm admiring your style a lot SC

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

Jumbicat
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 406
Re:Goodbye Cake 2011/01/29 17:51:24 (permalink)
Disturbed1

Jumbicat

Windows Event Viewer?  Nothing in the file with Sonar?

Could you be a bit more specific?

D

More than happy to. In my case, Sonar was generating events pointing to Dimension Pro 64 bit module. So I eliminated Dim Pro from the mix and the problem cleared.  Each event will have specific pointers. Now, I just have to figure out where and why Dimpro is having the problem.

Win7Pro64Bit-AMD-1090t -4 GIG OC DDR3-2k-GTX-465-C300 SATA6-SSD 64G-Sonar 8.5,X2a - Pro Tools Digi-001, a few Axon controllers
http://soundcloud.com/jumbicat
shawnbulen
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 157
Re:Goodbye Cake 2011/01/29 17:54:15 (permalink)
Disturbed1

OK,

Thanks for all the help. I can't believe how many people are posting.

I'd like to fix X1 if I could, as I have $99 tied up in it. So I'm open to suggestions. Thing is, it's currently uninstalled on my workstation as I put Pro tools in it's place. I'll re-install it today, and give it another shot. Thamks again.

Chrisharbin: I'll change the name of the thread asap.

D
This really is a very helpful forum, with a LOT of talent.  

Hard to see that thru all the BS these days - from fanbois & trolls alike.   

Dogmatic attachment to the supposed merits of a particular structure hinders the search for an appropriate structure.
 - Fripp
trimph1
Max Output Level: -12 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6348
Re:Goodbye Cake 2011/01/29 17:56:34 (permalink)
Supercomposer

trimph1

I'm kind of puzzled about why it could work on essentially the same platform with some people and yet not do the same on someone else's..

People use different features, there are the users who throw in 5 tracks and import some urban techno dubstep triphow whatever loops and applaud how GREAT that works,  and others with 100 MIDI tracks running to VSTi having a chrash fest und find countless bugs, yet others, mostly the known fanbois here who obviously do nothing than opening the program and look at it, but mostly work on their post count here at the forum.

Still puzzled?
Could see that...

The space you have will always be exceeded in direct proportion to the amount of stuff you have...Thornton's Postulate.

Bushpianos
trimph1
Re:Goodbye Cake 2011/01/29 17:58:59 (permalink)
shawnbulen

Disturbed1

OK,

Thanks for all the help. I can't believe how many people are posting.

I'd like to fix X1 if I could, as I have $99 tied up in it. So I'm open to suggestions. Thing is, it's currently uninstalled on my workstation as I put Pro tools in it's place. I'll re-install it today, and give it another shot. Thamks again.

Chrisharbin: I'll change the name of the thread asap.

D
This really is a very helpful forum, with a LOT of talent.  

Hard to see that thru all the BS these days - from fanbois & trolls alike.   
Yeah, sometimes it seems like a war of all against all here...

Hopefully someone will have something of a solution to this fellows problems...

The space you have will always be exceeded in direct proportion to the amount of stuff you have...Thornton's Postulate.

Bushpianos
cincyjack
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 146
Re:Goodbye Cake 2011/01/29 18:17:01 (permalink)
Disturbed, I feel you pain. I, too was having crashes. I haven't been tracking much lately to really know if I am out of the woods but I did get two solid hours in with no crashing a while ago.
I am sure you have done all of this:
  • Update all drivers (I'm suspicious of video...)
  • Ensure C++ runtime libs are correct (search if you have not read the post)
  • Update BIOS (I was desperate... who knows)

I reckon AMD is fine but I've always been suspicious on that account, too. If 8.5.3 worked, you'd think it's not an issue. Maybe moreso in the old days...

Might want to test the memory yourself. 

I believe X1 has had more problems than prior releases. That, along with new layout/flow more grumbling. 

I have also just finished the Groove3 X1 video tutorials and learned about a whole lot of features that are pretty cool. Very helpful.
I'm hoping X1B helps.

If'n it was me, I wouldn't bail until I had exhausted all updates/tests and applied X1B. I'd use 8.5.3 in the meanwhile (or indefinitely if I had no pressing reason to switch DAWs at this time) and check out the next patched version.

Good luck. 

IndustryStandard
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 18
Re:Goodbye Cake 2011/01/29 18:38:41 (permalink)

You have SPE 8.5.3 running "Rock Solid". I have to assume that in a year you have tracks you've been working on so you have work committed to Sonar You "Buy" an upgrade and have trouble for a couple weeks. Cake Comes out with new versions annually so nobody in this community is waiting for updates as long as users of any other daw! Now rather than go back and continue to work in the "rock solid" 8.5.3 you spend another $600 to buy a program you don't even know how to use? Either you have time and money to burn or the bugs in x1 aren't your real reason or you never had 8.5.3 to begin.

Dude...a lot of us have never really had to post until X1! The majority of cake users have used  Cakewalk and Sonar for a very very long time and were "COMFORTABLE" with it because each upgrade was "CONSISTENT" with each version. X1 is not exactly consistent with the tools we have grown to know and love, and by the nature of the moans in this forum X1 really is something of a setback.  Sure under the hood is the same but playing games with you users by changing the way we get to things is very inconsiderate and ignorant on Cakewalks part if you want to keep your professional customers. Sonar is a musicians tool...not a fashion statement and should be treated as such. The way the classical guitar is built is consistent and has never changed. The way the toilet is built is consistent and has never changed. The way the human body is built is consistent and has never changed. Evolved? Yes...but on the inside...not the exterior.

Maybe cakewalk should have introduced X1 step by step like they did from the Cakewalk 9 days thru Sonar 8.5.3. X1 is  a rushed and clumsy attempt and the posts and frustration of what looks like thousands of Sonar users  in this forum is obvious proof. So unless you get a paycheck from Roland or Cakewalk  ...being distracted by X1 doesn't hold water if you make a living at production. I want my classical guitar....(functional DAW)..not some cosmetic mess that does not hold a candle to its previous version. All I have to say is ...after this X1 joke ...X2 had better bugless be FREE!!!
post edited by IndustryStandard - 2011/01/29 18:44:12
shawnbulen
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 157
Re:Goodbye Cake 2011/01/29 18:41:32 (permalink)
trimph1

I'm kind of puzzled about why it could work on essentially the same platform with some people and yet not do the same on someone else's...and that is with the same platform...

...and, yeah, it might be an idea to see what the mem dump files show..

These things happen all the time to "identical" platforms.  The problem is that SOMETHING is different between the stable one & the unstable one.   Is it a specific problematic plugin?   Is it some seemingly innocent software - a DVD generation program that provides its own effects (it always concerns me when my Microsoft media plugins or Nero plugins invade my CW menus - whatdaheck is PBDA DTFilter anyway)?   

Unfortunately, installs of software or drivers into Windows usually update the system directories.   THAT, I think, is nuts, and the true root of the issue...  After a few weeks of real usage, nobody really has the same platform anymore...

That's why the systematic elimination of potential causes is the way to go.  

Of course, CW has a deep responsibility also, to ensure the product is (a) not so prone to crashing under the circumstances, and (b) provide some better mechanisms to debug, including, at the very least, a list of suspected conflicts.   

[edit - typo]
post edited by shawnbulen - 2011/01/29 19:24:29

Dogmatic attachment to the supposed merits of a particular structure hinders the search for an appropriate structure.
 - Fripp
stratman70
Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3044
Re:Goodbye Cake 2011/01/29 19:08:17 (permalink)
Supercomposer

trimph1

I'm kind of puzzled about why it could work on essentially the same platform with some people and yet not do the same on someone else's..

People use different features, there are the users who throw in 5 tracks and import some urban techno dubstep triphow whatever loops and applaud how GREAT that works,  and others with 100 MIDI tracks running to VSTi having a chrash fest und find countless bugs, yet others, mostly the known fanbois here who obviously do nothing than opening the program and look at it, but mostly work on their post count here at the forum.

Still puzzled?

How could you possibly know that? You are one cynical individual. so any one who does not have issues does not use the program-Well, not like the great composer you are, of course. we know because you have told us so.

For myself, I have stated that I do not use ASnap, VVocal, PRV and the only plugs besides CW's are kontakt 4 with many, many libraries and Izotope and alloy. My projects normally are 30-40 midi tracks-3-4 live guitar tracks and 3-4 vocal tracks.
I have no show stopping issues in 853 or X1a. Have not learned or heavily used x1a and I won't until I have a better grasp on it. Never have. But in your eyes I am either lying or stupid.

You and others wonder why some of us get upset? Give me a break. Read your post a few times.

For Myself, I can say that when Dim Pro "out of tune" basses and such were first brought to the main focus I was livid. And so were many of the forum members you and others call fan boys.
It amazes me that folks who "seem" to have grasp on reality and a working mind post the crap they do.

You all may say what you will about those of us that do not insult, hate, despise,  cw.
But I cannot understand the hateful digust many of you display here. IU don't mean personal attacks. They are a company. Yes, as a paying customer you are entitled to **** about problems.
Maybe that's the difference between many of you and me.
I would be long gone if I was that upset and disgusted with Sonar. I just don't get the I'm just hanging around to put CW down and anyone who says they do not have an issue.
frickin' unbelievable.
post edited by stratman70 - 2011/01/29 21:35:48

Crg
  • Total Posts : 7719
Re:Goodbye Cake 2011/01/29 19:17:00 (permalink)
Disturbed1

musicman100

Sometimes these "goodbyes" are like a person posting on facebook that they are leaving facebook

My intention is not to make a scene or go all Spartacus and inspire a band of followers. But I do feel like I didn't get what I paid for, and I have a right to express that. I doubt it'll make any difference among the many other dissatisfied users here, but it's all I can do. They won't refund me, and the software is not usable.

This is me feeling ripped off...... 

Computer recording ( DAW's ) is just not a plug and play thing. I hate to keep harping on the same subject but you need to know how the computer works before you start ****ing about Sonar not working right. 90% of all the problems I've ever had using a DAW were due to the computer not Sonar. I'll be the first to admit that these DAW programs should come with a build specification that is outlined from the jacks to every component within. Computer recording requires a dedicated machine with OS modifications to perform right. Recording requires taking over the entire processing capability of the machine. The language that computers run on is so borrowed by all software developers that interruptions occur when two software entities are running together in an environment where there can be no interuptions in the streaming of data by one program. Automatic services are the biggest culprit. Today I got mail while running X1 on my internet machine and down the whole thing went. It wasn't Sonars fault, the mail program took over the processor. Just a small example of the things that can happen. On my DAW with nothing but OS and Sonar, I haven't had a crash even when operator error was was the culprit. It ain't simple.

Craig DuBuc
trimph1
Re:Goodbye Cake 2011/01/29 19:21:52 (permalink)
That is why I think a completely internet free system becomes almost a requirement on its own...although that could pose new issues...

Bushpianos
A1MixMan
Max Output Level: -58 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1706
Re:Goodbye Cake 2011/01/29 19:22:59 (permalink)
I'm seeing a downside to Solid State Drives.

Jumbicat, can you explain this further as I am about to buy 2 SSD's.  What downside?

A1
Max Output Level: -25.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4951
Re:Goodbye Cake 2011/01/29 19:24:54 (permalink)
stratman70

Supercomposer

trimph1

Still puzzled?

How could you possibly know that? You are one cynical individual. so any one who does not have issues does not use the program-Well, not like the great composer you are, of course. we know because you have told us so.

For myself, I have stated that I do not use ASnap, VVocal, PRV and the only plugs besides CW's are kontakt 4 with many, many libraries and Izotope and alloy. My projects normally are 30-40 midi tracks-3-4 live guitar tracks and 3-4 vocal tracks.
I have no show stopping issues in 853 or X1a. Have not learned or heavily used x1a and I won't until I have a better grasp on it. Never have. But in your eyes I am either lying or stupid.

You and others wonder why some of us get upset? Give me a break. Read your post a few times.

For Myself, I can say that when Dim Pro "out of tune" basses and such were first brought to the main focus I was livid. And so were many of the forum members you and others call fan boys.
It amazes me that folks who "seem" to have grasp on reality and a working mind post the crap they do.

You all may say what you will about those of us that do not insult, hate, despise,  cw.
But I cannot understand the hateful digust many of you display here. IU don't mean personal attacks. I mean, it's like CW was your girlfriend and she F****d the whole football team.
Theuy are a company. Yes, as a paying customer you are entitled to **** about problems.
I would be long gone if I was that upset and disgusted with Sonar. I just don't get the I'm just hanging around to put CW down and anyone who says they do not have an issue.
frickin' unbelievable.

But he tends to post about the software while you post about the people that post about the software.
Crg
  • Total Posts : 7719
Re:Goodbye Cake 2011/01/29 19:29:24 (permalink)
trimph1

That is why I think a completely internet free system becomes almost a requirement on its own...although that could pose new issues...

What issues would those be?

Craig DuBuc
Bub
Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7196
Re:Goodbye Cake 2011/01/29 19:32:52 (permalink)
Well, at least I've stayed out of this one so you can't blame it on the resident ret--- sorry, let me rephrase, you can't blame it on me.

"I pulled the head off Elvis, filled Fred up to his pelvis, yaba daba do, the King is gone, and so are you."
trimph1
Re:Goodbye Cake 2011/01/29 19:34:03 (permalink)
Crg

trimph1

What issues would those be?
Registering for one...another is what other programs might be still on that that may run in the background..may need to get almost a barebones system of some sort...

How many programs seem to run in the background though?

Bushpianos
trimph1
Re:Goodbye Cake 2011/01/29 19:35:42 (permalink)
Bub

Well, at least I've stayed out of this one so you can't blame it on the resident ret--- sorry, let me rephrase, you can't blame it on me.
Thanks a lot!! I almost lost my coffee up my nose!! 

Bushpianos
stratman70
Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3044
Re:Goodbye Cake 2011/01/29 19:36:48 (permalink)
10Ten

stratman70

Supercomposer

trimph1

Still puzzled?

But I cannot understand the hateful digust many of you display here. IU don't mean personal attacks. I mean, it's like CW was your girlfriend and she F****d the whole football team.
Theuy are a company. Yes, as a paying customer you are entitled to **** about problems.
frickin' unbelievable.

But he tends to post about the software while you post about the people that post about the software.

Not true - you know this but felt the need to . well in your words, personally attack me

I quote from supercomposer
" yet others, mostly the known fanbois here who obviously do nothing than opening the program and look at it, but mostly work on their post count here at the forum. "
Is that about the software.
10-you have done me a favor. I am done with you and the rest of the irrational folks.

Once again-unless a post is directly aimed at me and is a "personal attack" on my integrity or sincereity I will not post anywhere near you folks.
It is quite obvious the truth is irrelavant to you and others. You have issues with the software, I don't.

Leave me alone and out of your posts 10ten-Thank you

Bub
Re:Goodbye Cake 2011/01/29 19:52:21 (permalink)
trimph1

Bub

Thanks a lot!! I almost lost my coffee up my nose!! 

"I pulled the head off Elvis, filled Fred up to his pelvis, yaba daba do, the King is gone, and so are you."
HumbleNoise
Max Output Level: -46 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2946
Re:Goodbye Cake 2011/01/29 20:02:30 (permalink)
Post count

Humbly Yours

Larry

Sonar X2 x64
MAudio 2496
Yamaha MG 12/4
Roland XV-88
Intel MB with Q6600 and 4 GB Ram
NVidia 9800 GTX
Windows 7 x64 Home Premium
HumbleNoise
Re:Goodbye Cake 2011/01/29 20:02:47 (permalink)
5 pages?

Humbly Yours

Larry

Sonar X2 x64
MAudio 2496
Yamaha MG 12/4
Roland XV-88
NVidia 9800 GTX
HumbleNoise
Re:Goodbye Cake 2011/01/29 20:03:08 (permalink)
Darn, missed it by that much.

Humbly Yours

Larry

Sonar X2 x64
MAudio 2496
Yamaha MG 12/4
Roland XV-88
NVidia 9800 GTX
HumbleNoise
Re:Goodbye Cake 2011/01/29 20:04:44 (permalink)
Would really like to see one of these crashing scenarios get solved. Unfortunately I can't offer anything more than has already been suggested. Delay memory lek came to mind but the symptoms don't take enough time. Either way good luck to the OP.

Humbly Yours

Larry

Sonar X2 x64
MAudio 2496
Yamaha MG 12/4
Roland XV-88
NVidia 9800 GTX
trimph1
Re:Goodbye Cake 2011/01/29 20:04:47 (permalink)
Still not locked....oh yeah...IBTL.

Bushpianos
HumbleNoise
Re:Goodbye Cake 2011/01/29 20:05:43 (permalink)
Still not 5 pages.

Humbly Yours

Larry

Sonar X2 x64
MAudio 2496
Yamaha MG 12/4
Roland XV-88
NVidia 9800 GTX
IndustryStandard
Re:Goodbye Cake 2011/01/29 20:06:08 (permalink)
An internet free computer? Hmm....I know where this seems to be going. The only way for this to have an ultimate outcome for absolute consistancy is if Roland designs a computer specifically for Sonar X1! This is all sounding way to familiar.....and pricey!
trimph1
Re:Goodbye Cake 2011/01/29 20:08:15 (permalink)
Depends on who you get to build it.... 

Now, if you were going to do it on your own....

Nuts...still not 5 pages... 
post edited by trimph1 - 2011/01/29 20:09:27

Bushpianos
IndustryStandard
Re:Goodbye Cake 2011/01/29 20:09:36 (permalink)
trimph1

Depends on who you get to build it.... 

Now, if you were going to do it on your own....

I say Roland should build it! And call it the V-something or other...lol!
post edited by IndustryStandard - 2011/01/29 20:13:02
Supercomposer
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 259
Re:Goodbye Cake 2011/01/29 20:13:02 (permalink)
stratman70

Supercomposer

trimph1

Still puzzled?
How could you possibly know that? You are one cynical individual. so any one who does not have issues does not use the program-Well, not like the great composer you are, of course

frickin' unbelievable.

Well thanks for the personal attack, but I did NOT say what you made out of it. I said exactly what I quoted, meaning if you use different features than the ones others use, or just do not push the program that hard AS OTHERS DO, you might NOT run into problems, fine. But if you use X1 under heavy workload, I am talking actually about a fu***** LONG time builiding a suitable template, with 20+ Kontakt instances, Vienna Ensemble Pro, East West Play, three different synths and imported video material, do THAT, and X1 will fail miserably, it WILL and it DOES fail, it perhaps does not fail for loop cutter hip hop beat boys, or people simply looking at the pretty GUI discussing button colors here, or some vocal or guitar recording + a handful synths, well, WOOOHOOO, which DAW can´t do all that in 2011??

X1 fails for my purpose, miserably, and I accept no arguing about that FACT.
And I am sure if I had the time to investigate and fu** around, days and days to blame my otherwise perfectly working system instead of the fu**** up code that X1 is, were industry leading software solutions JUST WORK OUT OF THE BOX like expected, then I´d probably start a 10 page thread, trying to get bug repros and "USER HELP" whereas the only help that (perhaps) makes sense is the PATCH X1B fixing X1A, but hey, I tell you something: I don´t have time for that  anymore. 
post edited by Supercomposer - 2011/01/29 20:17:14

ME is the Supercomposer, and all your base are belong to us (Yes, I mean Germany)

System Spec: CPU 2x X7560 Xeon 16-Core, 48 GIG Ram Kingston, Intel with Supermicro Workstation MP Boards, RME HDSPe, PNY Quadro 6000
Bub
Re:Goodbye Cake 2011/01/29 20:20:57 (permalink)
5 yet?

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 6
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1