Helpful ReplyX3 Producer: Why is it so difficult to record audio from a soft synth?

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 3 of 6
Author
mudgel
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 12010
Re: X3 Producer: Why is it so difficult to record audio from a soft synth? 2015/02/18 06:15:44 (permalink)
Earwax
mudgel
It's not hard to do, that is to record your VSTi in real time, you just have to be prepared to deal with the issues that it brings up. Send your monitor source out of your audio device and loop it back onto another track making sure that that track is out of your monitor path. Voila, you have a live recoding of your performance. If you are going to add further material you'll have to nudge the recorded VSTi audio tracks.

No one is saying what you describe hasn't been tried. Those who like to record "live" have been doing it (or some variant) for years. A substantially more direct method is what is being suggested. Some get the concept, and some don't. Some prefer the methodology, and some don't. I'm okay with that. People work differently. But to suggest (and I'm not saying you are), that one method is superior to the other, or that people who prefer one method over the other are somehow brain-damaged, is ludicrous. 

I merely suggested a way to do what you want. I certainly didn't equate the desire for your way of wanting to do it with anything of a derogatory nature neither do I say one way was superior. At this time there just isn't a way except for fairly unacceptable work arounds. I get what you want to do. I've been doing this (recording)one way or another for over 45 years.
Remember if your sound source is a VSTi then the MIDI you play either live or recorded can't possibly play different audio.
So while the guitarist is playing audio you're not. You're playing a MIDI performance. Now if that MIDI performance can create the subtleties and nuances of your live playing of it then the recording of it can't be any different. The only way you might be able to do that is to record the audio itself, and seeing it's MIDI triggered in what way could it be different whether recorded live or bounced or frozen.
post edited by mudgel - 2015/02/18 06:22:21

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
mettelus
Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5321
Re: X3 Producer: Why is it so difficult to record audio from a soft synth? 2015/02/18 06:40:46 (permalink)
This topic pops up now and again and always runs the same gambit. My personal experience with (wanting) this has been doing screen captures and wanting to record both a vox track and a synth's output, which required physical loopback cabling to achieve. I found out after the fact that my Saffire has a built-in loopback feature, but is still the same deal. Right now it "is what it is" and only a feature request can change it. I agree that it would be nice to have internal to SONAR rather than rely on an external means (internally done would allow for better safeguards on feedback loops IMO).

mudgel
Remember if your sound source is a VSTi then the MIDI you play either live or recorded can't possibly play different audio. So while the guitarist is playing audio you're not. You're playing a MIDI performance. Now if that MIDI performance can create the subtleties and nuances of your live playing of it then the recording of it can't be any different. The only way you might be able to do that is to record the audio itself, and seeing it's MIDI triggered in what way could it be different whether recorded live or bounced or frozen.

A quick point to the above... I mentioned this to Noel a year ago when I was in Boston... Z3TA+2 is a good example where oscillators can be run "free"... so each performance (even identically done), can/will yield a different audio output... this is a situation where freezing a synth or capturing a "MIDI performance" falls short. Being able to perform takes of a synth output the same as any other audio take would prevent losing a potential take that is desired for the final result.

[I saw the comments regarding "randomness" above... and to me, the "free oscillator" situation is what first came to mind.]
post edited by mettelus - 2015/02/18 06:48:40

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
dwardzala
Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1470
Re: X3 Producer: Why is it so difficult to record audio from a soft synth? 2015/02/18 08:02:11 (permalink)
This has been an interesting conversation.  My keyboard skills are poor enough that I need to record midi, so I can fix stuff later on, so I would never use this direct recording capability.  That said, it appears it would be a useful feature to some and would also differentiate Sonar in the marketplace.  Hopefully the feature request will get enough votes to encourage the bakers to implement it.

Dave
Main Studio- Core i5 @2.67GHz, 16Gb Ram, (2) 500Gb HDs, (1) 360 Gb HD
MotU Ultralite AVB, Axiom 49 Midi Controller, Akai MPD18 Midi Controller
Win10 x64 Home
Sonar 2017.06 Platinum (and X3e, X2c, X1d)

Mobile Studio - Sager NP8677 (i7-6700HQ @2.67MHz, 16G Ram, 250G SSD, 1T HD)
M-Box Mini v. 2
Win 10 x64 Home
Sonar 2016.10 Platinum

Check out my original music:
https://soundcloud.com/d-wardzala/sets/d-wardzala-original-music

mudgel
  • Total Posts : 12010
Re: X3 Producer: Why is it so difficult to record audio from a soft synth? 2015/02/18 08:05:43 (permalink)
I'm in the fortunate position of having an RME device in which the TotalMix software makes it easy to route audio out and in again without having to be processed by any ADDA.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
Paul P
Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2685
Re: X3 Producer: Why is it so difficult to record audio from a soft synth? 2015/02/18 08:45:50 (permalink)
I'm following this discussion with interest.  I probably don't completely grasp what the difficulties are, but I'm wondering if Silk Tone's Sidechain Mixer plugin might not be useful here ?  Could it let you get around "But as soon as the synth audio is selected as the input, the record enable for the track disappears!" (timg11) ?

Sonar Platinum [2017.10], Win7U x64 sp1, Xeon E5-1620 3.6 GHz, Asus P9X79WS, 16 GB ECC, 128gb SSD, HD7950, Mackie Blackjack
gunboatdiplomacy
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 87
Re: X3 Producer: Why is it so difficult to record audio from a soft synth? 2015/02/18 13:01:03 (permalink)
timg11
The Grumbleweed
bounce out the synth to your desktop (or wherever) and drag it back in Sonar.

I'm not sure what you mean by "bounce to desktop", but I played around with the bounce to tracks method more and finally got it to work. I discovered these facts:

1) You have to uncheck Fast Bounce (checked by default), and check Audible Bounce.  This is not mentioned in the 9-step procedure in the help file.
2) Presets don't fully "preset". They save some settings but not others. Notably, the Destination track and the Source Buses/Tracks are not part of the preset, and your settings are not remembered, even between sequential uses in the same project. They have to be manually set every time.

I still don't understand why the direct recording of the synth is not allowed.

it seems like the point of this thread got lost between talking about jimi hendrix and playing live. please clarify: you are basically looking for a way to "print" your VST instruments to "tape", to you use the old terminology. once you are happy with your midi parts, you can print it and then delete the midi and remove the synth to free up resources, correct?

that's what i used to do in DP. i'd have 6 stereo tracks with their input set to Reason instruments, and then arm and record them. the audio from the 6 reason instruments would then bounce/mix-down/print to their 6 stereo tracks and then i wouldn't have to have Reason open and i could move onto the next phase of recording (vox/guitar/etc).

unclicking 'fast bounce' is the easiest way to do it, but it also prevents you from doing anything during the bounce other than listen to the music. in DP, this action wasn't considered a bounce; you were just recording the output of your instrument to a track, thus you could also record vocals or tamborine or whatever while the other tracks were recording output from your synth.
Earwax
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 242
Re: X3 Producer: Why is it so difficult to record audio from a soft synth? 2015/02/18 13:09:58 (permalink)
mudgel
Earwax
mudgel
It's not hard to do, that is to record your VSTi in real time, you just have to be prepared to deal with the issues that it brings up. Send your monitor source out of your audio device and loop it back onto another track making sure that that track is out of your monitor path. Voila, you have a live recoding of your performance. If you are going to add further material you'll have to nudge the recorded VSTi audio tracks.

No one is saying what you describe hasn't been tried. Those who like to record "live" have been doing it (or some variant) for years. A substantially more direct method is what is being suggested. Some get the concept, and some don't. Some prefer the methodology, and some don't. I'm okay with that. People work differently. But to suggest (and I'm not saying you are), that one method is superior to the other, or that people who prefer one method over the other are somehow brain-damaged, is ludicrous. 

I merely suggested a way to do what you want. I certainly didn't equate the desire for your way of wanting to do it with anything of a derogatory nature neither do I say one way was superior. At this time there just isn't a way except for fairly unacceptable work arounds. I get what you want to do. I've been doing this (recording)one way or another for over 45 years.
Remember if your sound source is a VSTi then the MIDI you play either live or recorded can't possibly play different audio.
So while the guitarist is playing audio you're not. You're playing a MIDI performance. Now if that MIDI performance can create the subtleties and nuances of your live playing of it then the recording of it can't be any different. The only way you might be able to do that is to record the audio itself, and seeing it's MIDI triggered in what way could it be different whether recorded live or bounced or frozen.

Mudgel,
I know you weren't suggesting one way was superior to the other. Nor did I interpret your post as being derogatory in any way. That's why I placed the comment in that post
"...and I'm not saying you are..". I appreciated your input. I will respectfully disagree with the concept of the MIDI data not playing back different audio. I've been doing this for decades myself. And trust me, it has happened. Not only with the sound (mettelus just above and others in previous posts have cited examples), but even the gestures as part of the performance. While recording a duo performance with, say, a guitarist, try improvising in a piece with different time signatures and tempi while recording the MIDI data along with the guitarist's audio data. Then play it all back.

Pain - the absence of things hoped for, the evidence of catastrophes unforeseen.
Anderton
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: X3 Producer: Why is it so difficult to record audio from a soft synth? 2015/02/18 13:10:58 (permalink)
Earwax
Because the guitarists in the bands cited in my examples are not recording gestures. They are recording sounds. They are recording sounds at the same time as the keyboardist and drummer are recording their sounds and some (depending on the VSTi and what performance tweaks they are using) of their gestures.  The live performance breaks down even in duo or trio recording without the ability to record VST/VSTi directly into Sonar. 

But what the guitarist hears while recording into SONAR is what will be heard on playback. SONAR is recording the sound of the guitar. Monitoring the sound playing through a VST in real time will produce the same end result as playing the track with the recorded guitar sound back through the VST.

Again, this doesn't obviate what you want, but I don't think what you want is needed in this particular instance. You'll hear the same thing during real time monitoring as will on track playback.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
Earwax
Re: X3 Producer: Why is it so difficult to record audio from a soft synth? 2015/02/18 13:12:59 (permalink)
gunboatdiplomacy
timg11
The Grumbleweed
bounce out the synth to your desktop (or wherever) and drag it back in Sonar.

I'm not sure what you mean by "bounce to desktop", but I played around with the bounce to tracks method more and finally got it to work. I discovered these facts:

1) You have to uncheck Fast Bounce (checked by default), and check Audible Bounce.  This is not mentioned in the 9-step procedure in the help file.
2) Presets don't fully "preset". They save some settings but not others. Notably, the Destination track and the Source Buses/Tracks are not part of the preset, and your settings are not remembered, even between sequential uses in the same project. They have to be manually set every time.

I still don't understand why the direct recording of the synth is not allowed.

... in DP, this action wasn't considered a bounce; you were just recording the output of your instrument to a track, thus you could also record vocals or tamborine or whatever while the other tracks were recording output from your synth.

Therein lies the problem. You can't do this in Sonar.

Pain - the absence of things hoped for, the evidence of catastrophes unforeseen.
jatoth
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 363
Re: X3 Producer: Why is it so difficult to record audio from a soft synth? 2015/02/18 13:33:22 (permalink)
I believe Scook has posted a work around for this many times.
IIRC it went something like this...

Place a note past the end of the song on the MIDI or instrument track
Enable "Echo On" on the MIDI or instrument track
Select the track(s) associated with the synth
Bounce the track(s) with "Fast Bounce" disabled, "Audible Bounce" and "Live Input" enabled
Play synth while the track(s) are being bounced.

This should allow you to "record" the VSTi while playing live.

John

X3e Producer, Sonar Platinum, Sweetwater CreationStation i5 3.1gHz, 12 GB RAM, 500GB SSD OS drive, 1TB SSD audio drive, 1TB archive/misc drive, dual 22" monitors, Windows 7x64, SaffirePro40 (firewire), MOTU MIDI Express XT, Behringer BCF2000, dbx 586, Samson Servo 120a, Yamaha HS80M, Auratone 5c Cubes, Sennheiser HD650, Sony MDR 7509HD, Sony MDR 7506, Kurzweil K2500XS, Roland XP-30, Proteus 2000.
swamptooth
Max Output Level: -53 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2229
Re: X3 Producer: Why is it so difficult to record audio from a soft synth? 2015/02/18 13:40:43 (permalink)
Doesn't work if you need to manipulate the plugins gui.

Arvid H. Peterson
Sonar X3E Prod / X2A  / X1PE | Cubase 9.5.1 | Reason 9.5 | Sibelius7 | Pure Data
Native-Instruments Komplete 10 Ultimate and a smattering of other plugins
Home-brewed VSTs 
Toshiba Satellite S855-S5378 (16GB RAM, modified with 2x 750GB HDDs, Windows 8.1 x64)  
Samson Graphite 49, M-Audio Oxygen 49, Korg nanoPAD2, Webcam motion tracking programs 
M-Audio Fast Track Ultra
Member, ASCAP   

jatoth
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 363
Re: X3 Producer: Why is it so difficult to record audio from a soft synth? 2015/02/18 13:55:05 (permalink)
If you assign CCs to physically manipulate the parameters, "live input" should work.

Does it not?

John

X3e Producer, Sonar Platinum, Sweetwater CreationStation i5 3.1gHz, 12 GB RAM, 500GB SSD OS drive, 1TB SSD audio drive, 1TB archive/misc drive, dual 22" monitors, Windows 7x64, SaffirePro40 (firewire), MOTU MIDI Express XT, Behringer BCF2000, dbx 586, Samson Servo 120a, Yamaha HS80M, Auratone 5c Cubes, Sennheiser HD650, Sony MDR 7509HD, Sony MDR 7506, Kurzweil K2500XS, Roland XP-30, Proteus 2000.
Earwax
Re: X3 Producer: Why is it so difficult to record audio from a soft synth? 2015/02/18 17:19:21 (permalink)
Anderton
Earwax
Because the guitarists in the bands cited in my examples are not recording gestures. They are recording sounds. They are recording sounds at the same time as the keyboardist and drummer are recording their sounds and some (depending on the VSTi and what performance tweaks they are using) of their gestures.  The live performance breaks down even in duo or trio recording without the ability to record VST/VSTi directly into Sonar. 

SONAR is recording the sound of the guitar.

Not if the final audio from the guitar is the output of an amp sim and VST effects in Sonar. If Sonar could playback and record output from VST/VSTi at the same time, from multiple sources, there would be no issue. It can't. In my examples, more than one person wants to record VST/VSTi audio at the same time. No way can Sonar do that.   

Earwax
Re: X3 Producer: Why is it so difficult to record audio from a soft synth? 2015/02/18 17:23:10 (permalink)
jatoth
I believe Scook has posted a work around for this many times.
IIRC it went something like this...

Place a note past the end of the song on the MIDI or instrument track
Enable "Echo On" on the MIDI or instrument track
Select the track(s) associated with the synth
Bounce the track(s) with "Fast Bounce" disabled, "Audible Bounce" and "Live Input" enabled
Play synth while the track(s) are being bounced.

This should allow you to "record" the VSTi while playing live.

Try doing what you suggest with 2 or 3 (or more) instrumentalists wanting to record VST/VSTi output at the same time. If you can get that to work, I'd love to hear about it.

swamptooth
Re: X3 Producer: Why is it so difficult to record audio from a soft synth? 2015/02/18 18:00:58 (permalink)
jatoth
If you assign CCs to physically manipulate the parameters, "live input" should work.

Does it not?

There are synths that require user interaction via the interface which cannot be controlled by midi. 
Newscool example:  http://youtu.be/Lg_2WVNGN...u9stuavxCp5UtC7c4fmfWg

Arvid H. Peterson
Sonar X3E Prod / X2A  / X1PE | Cubase 9.5.1 | Reason 9.5 | Sibelius7 | Pure Data
Home-brewed VSTs 
Toshiba Satellite S855-S5378 (16GB RAM, modified with 2x 750GB HDDs, Windows 8.1 x64)  
Samson Graphite 49, M-Audio Oxygen 49, Korg nanoPAD2, Webcam motion tracking programs 
M-Audio Fast Track Ultra
Member, ASCAP   

Anderton
Re: X3 Producer: Why is it so difficult to record audio from a soft synth? 2015/02/18 18:05:20 (permalink)
Earwax

Not if the final audio from the guitar is the output of an amp sim and VST effects in Sonar. If Sonar could playback and record output from VST/VSTi at the same time, from multiple sources, there would be no issue. It can't. In my examples, more than one person wants to record VST/VSTi audio at the same time. No way can Sonar do that.   

I'm really trying not to be dense here, but this doesn't make sense to me. SONAR can play the output from a VST and VSTi in real time (plus any latency, of course) and record the input to them at the same time, so it can reproduce the sound heard during the real time performance at a later time. Sure, it won't physically record the output onto a track, but why would that matter? The object of recording the real-time output would be so you can play it back at some point, right? But you can play it back now, with the same results as the real-time performance (with the exception of stochastic devices that produce variable outputs even with the same input). 

With non-stochastic devices, I'm just not seeing how there would be any difference in functionality or sound between hearing something in real-time and recording its output so you can play it back, and hearing something in real-time and recording its input so you can hear the same output you heard originally when playing it back. 

I'm really not trying to be argumentative or anything, I just don't understand how there's any practical difference between the two yet people here seem to believe sincerely there would be, so I want to know what I'm missing. However if this relates only to stochastic devices, then I do understand the difference.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
gswitz
Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5694
Re: X3 Producer: Why is it so difficult to record audio from a soft synth? 2015/02/18 18:31:59 (permalink)
You can record anywhere you can put a VST using this.
http://www.meldaproduction.com/plugins/product.php?id=MRecorder

You can also loopback outputs if you want either virtually or with cables depending on your interface.

And that said, I've really never needed it. Ardour for Linux has a feature to warn you when you have a routing that could cause an infinite feedback loop, but I like that Sonar doesn't have to warn you of this because it is basically not possible unless you implement hardware to do it.

This has not been something I need. Frankly, I like it without it. I can totally achieve it using the RME if I want and I really never do (at least for the purpose of recording).

I have used the RME Loopback feature in order to get the Main Outs routed into RME DigiCheck, but that's a massively different conversation.

StudioCat > I use Windows 10 and Sonar Platinum. I have a touch screen.
I make some videos. This one shows how to do a physical loopback on the RME UCX to get many more equalizer nodes.
mixmkr
Max Output Level: -43.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3169
Re: X3 Producer: Why is it so difficult to record audio from a soft synth? 2015/02/18 18:51:30 (permalink)
Anderton
 I just don't understand how there's any practical difference between the two yet people here seem to believe sincerely there would be, so I want to know what I'm missing. 

Let's ditch the Hendrix example.  I was just trying to fabricate an example, but it appears non analogous to some.

Tell me how to do this WITHOUT physically patching my sound interface.

Scenario:
I'm making a video on one of your incredible amp sims and describing how cool it is. I'm ALSO using a screen capture program to record the video. Sonar for audio, for obvious reasons.  So..., I'm recording my mic audio with Sonar AS I'm playing my guitar into one of your amp sims.  I am making adjustments on the amp sim to show just how lovely and flexible it is. As I'm talking and playing, I'm also twiddling knobs on the GUI.  Obviously I'd like to playback the audio from my guitar/Anderton amp sim, along with my microphone, just as I had done on my "original performance".....which I will mix in Sonar and sync with the video in Vegas.

Now...the problem occurs when I go to play back my audio after my performance.  I've recorded my guitar "clean" into Sonar, granted while hearing the amp sim while doing so.  But on playback, the amp sim is NOT changing, as it did originally, when I was turning the amp sim knobs.  Had I been able to record the virtual audio, I'd be OK. (because it would also reflect what was done in the video).

IF Sonar can record and ALSO be in "write" mode...to duplicate my knob twiddles, I'm ok.  But that's not possible either.
Therefore the solution is to record the virtual instrument audio at the same time.  

Now... I've actually done this type of video....., physically repatched my audio interface, and of course muted where needed to prevent feedback.
A "flip of the switch" inside Sonar would be nice.  Apparently the RME interface above can also do this, My interface cannot without physically repatching.  And I DON'T want to use the audio in my video screen capture program.  I want to mix it in Sonar before importing the audio mix to my video editing program.

All that said, Earwax's band example playing virtual instruments AND recording in Sonar also "hits the nail on the head"....  MY computer CANrecord two people, WITH low latency, using virtual instruments...  BUT I have to do some patching and feedback prevention.  Unfortunate for the person who hardwires their audio interface, and is unable to do this.  
But wait !!!!   if the "routing" could be done in Sonar, problem solved!

________

I'm struggling to explain why this is different, and unfortunately, hypothetical examples are not being clear.  Hopefully the TWO most recent examples above, illustrate what Earwax and I are trying to say and WHY it would be nice.

some tunes: --->        www.masonharwoodproject.bandcamp.com 
StudioCat i7 4770k 3.5gHz, 16 RAM,  Sonar Platinum, CD Arch 5.2, Steinberg UR-44
videos--->https://www.youtube.com/user/mixmkr

mixmkr
Max Output Level: -43.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3169
Re: X3 Producer: Why is it so difficult to record audio from a soft synth? 2015/02/18 19:00:54 (permalink)
Craig...btw, here's a video where I did what I described above.  I HAD to record the audio of the virtual amp, as you will see, as I made changes that wouldn't/couldn't be duplicated later on playback.

(I don't expect you to watch the whole video...but in the middle of the vid, when the amp sims come up, you'll see what's happening.)
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlxxTnFGRtk

EDIT... PLUS I recorded Toontrack EZD2 live as well... However NOT using MIDI and lining up again.... as that would have been too complicated at the time as you can see.
post edited by mixmkr - 2015/02/18 19:20:51

some tunes: --->        www.masonharwoodproject.bandcamp.com 
StudioCat i7 4770k 3.5gHz, 16 RAM,  Sonar Platinum, CD Arch 5.2, Steinberg UR-44
videos--->https://www.youtube.com/user/mixmkr

tlw
Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2567
Re: X3 Producer: Why is it so difficult to record audio from a soft synth? 2015/02/18 20:04:36 (permalink)
mixmkr
IF Sonar can record and ALSO be in "write" mode...to duplicate my knob twiddles, I'm ok.  But that's not possible either.
Therefore the solution is to record the virtual instrument audio at the same time.  .

Sonar can do this.

Set up audio track pointing at the right interface audio input.
Put amp sim in fx rack/pro channel.
Enable amp sim (or other plugin of choice) or other controls as required for automation recording.
Enable track for recording.
Hit "record" and play/twiddle away.
Result = an audio track plus automation envelopes duplicating control movements.
For MIDI simply use a MIDI track instead of audio.

Now, if a plugin has been designed such that it doesn't expose it's controls for automation (or, unless you only need to change one control at a time, to MIDI control) then that obviously won't work. There is however no built in limitation to Sonar that prevents recording automation and audio/MIDI at the same time.

I do it very frequently when working with hardware synths, and if the synth controls send MIDI I generally tweak them and record the output (as MIDI) rather than editing in curves afterwards. Give or take a little oscillator drift or free-running LFOs that don't start at the same point in the wave cycle every time I get identical results playing the MIDI back to when I recorded it. With the added bonus that, unlike my voltage controlled stuff, doing a punch-in if I'm not happy with, say, a filter tweak, is pretty easy.

mixmkrMY computer CANrecord two people, WITH low latency, using virtual instruments... BUT I have to do some patching and feedback prevention. Unfortunate for the person who hardwires their audio interface, and is unable to do this. But wait !!!! if the "routing" could be done in Sonar, problem solved!

Maybe I'm being dense, but unless you're using both microphones and open monitoring rather than headphones, what feedback?

Routing two monitor sends to a couple of people playing VSTis can be done as follows.

Two incoming MIDI ports for the incoming MIDI, two sets of MIDI tracks each receiving from the right MIDI port on the right channel -> two audio tracks with the VSTis on them should work. Enable input echo for monitoring, mix via the track faders (which control output volume when input echo is enabled) and there you go.

If you need different mixes for two musicians then you need an interface with multiple outputs and two busses, each pointed at a different hardware output (rather than master). Use a send from the VSTi audio tracks to both busses then use the sends to set up the mix like on a hardware mixer. Routing done, and, apart from you can't get two mixes out of an interface with insufficient outputs, all in Sonar.

Sonar Platinum 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit, I7 3770K Ivybridge, 16GB Ram, Gigabyte Z77-D3H m/board,
ATI 7750 graphics+ 1GB RAM, 2xIntel 520 series 220GB SSDs, 1 TB Samsung F3 + 1 TB WD HDDs, Seasonic fanless 460W psu, RME Fireface UFX, Focusrite Octopre.
Assorted real synths, guitars, mandolins, diatonic accordions, percussion, fx and other stuff.
Earwax
Re: X3 Producer: Why is it so difficult to record audio from a soft synth? 2015/02/18 20:17:23 (permalink)
Anderton
Earwax

I'm really trying not to be dense here, but this doesn't make sense to me. SONAR can play the output from a VST and VSTi in real time (plus any latency, of course) and record the input to them at the same time, so it can reproduce the sound heard during the real time performance at a later time. Sure, it won't physically record the output onto a track, but why would that matter? The object of recording the real-time output would be so you can play it back at some point, right? But you can play it back now, with the same results as the real-time performance (with the exception of stochastic devices that produce variable outputs even with the same input). 

With non-stochastic devices, I'm just not seeing how there would be any difference in functionality or sound between hearing something in real-time and recording its output so you can play it back, and hearing something in real-time and recording its input so you can hear the same output you heard originally when playing it back. 

I'm really not trying to be argumentative or anything, I just don't understand how there's any practical difference between the two yet people here seem to believe sincerely there would be, so I want to know what I'm missing. However if this relates only to stochastic devices, then I do understand the difference.

Craig,
I guess the examples aren't working. So, let me put it another way. The very fact that you have to qualify the implementation of the process (non-stochastic instruments, patching, use of loop backs and VST-to-WAV recorder plugins, feedback loops, MIDI timing, etc.) is the difference. To me, recording audio in real time should be just that - recording audio in real time. I shouldn't have to think about whether my instruments of choice fit the "non-stochastic" model. I shouldn't have to deal with various and sundry work arounds to record audio. I shouldn't have to think about the source of the audio, or the type of instrument used to create it. I (and my fellow VST/VSTi-using musican buddies) should just be able to plug in, pull up all necessary VST/VSTi plugins, hit record, and go. And have everything (and I do mean EVERYTHING) recorded as I and my fellow musicians play. For the record, my computer is more than powerful enough to do what I want. My interface also enables me to implement the various kludges and workarounds suggested by some, without having to deal with additional DA/AD conversions.

In my humble opinion, recording MIDI data for playback is no substitute for real time audio recording. I have a "live" in-studio recording of Yes playing "The Gates of Delirium" straight through. That would be EXTREMELY difficult and time consuming (utterly impossible really) to do with a MIDI recording.

I have already said there are situations where doing what you suggest works okay - see my posts #31 and #59. And, if that's the way 99.9% of the Sonar users choose to work, and they're comfortable with it all of the time, great! Some of us, though, would love to see the same paradigm for recording VST/VSTi that we have for recording external audio.

I would absolutely love for someone to tell me how to achieve the results I want. I've had enough people tell me I shouldn't need to.

post edited by Earwax - 2015/02/18 20:46:33

tlw
Re: X3 Producer: Why is it so difficult to record audio from a soft synth? 2015/02/18 20:36:56 (permalink)
Anderton

Exactly. If a VSTi is MIDI controlled no function on it (if we disregard the rarely used NRPN side of MIDI) can have any value other than a fixed number between 0-127 (or 1-128). There are no nuances that a live performance contains that "fit between the numbers" because even if the VSTi can do it, the controller can't.

There may be VSTis that don't work internally within the restrictions of MIDI (I don't use enough software synths to know), but if the MIDI controller they are operated by can only send 128 fixed values that is all the synth is going to receive no matter whether the MIDI is recorded and the track then bounced/frozen or the synth's output is recorded during the performance as audio. The result will be the same.

Maybe I'm having a stupid week (it certainly wouldn't be the first time) but I genuinely don't see the difference between me, say, recording the output from the controllers on my microQ or Mopho as MIDI, then playing the MIDI back through the synth to track the resulting audio, and ignoring the MIDI and only recording the audio created by those controllers as I move them. Other than how easy (or not) it is to fix mistakes or make fine adjustments, that is.

Obviously my less MIDI capable/equipped synths have to be treated differently, and recorded "old school pre-MIDI style", or very near it. Though most voltage controlled synths can generally also handle at least MIDI note number and on/off these days.

Having said that, I do think the ability to "record" a VSTi's output would be useful where there is randomness involved in the sound generation or notes/whatever. And if Sonar could do that then it could also do what is being asked for here of course.

(Editted for typos, any I've missed will just have to live with it).

Sonar Platinum 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit, I7 3770K Ivybridge, 16GB Ram, Gigabyte Z77-D3H m/board,
ATI 7750 graphics+ 1GB RAM, 2xIntel 520 series 220GB SSDs, 1 TB Samsung F3 + 1 TB WD HDDs, Seasonic fanless 460W psu, RME Fireface UFX, Focusrite Octopre.
Assorted real synths, guitars, mandolins, diatonic accordions, percussion, fx and other stuff.
tlw
Re: X3 Producer: Why is it so difficult to record audio from a soft synth? 2015/02/18 21:34:52 (permalink)
Earwax
I would absolutely love for someone to tell me how to achieve the results I want. I've had enough people tell me I shouldn't need to.

OK, a serious suggestion. Maybe you ought to consider moving away from VSTis and towards hardware synths. It's a different, "old fashioned" way of working that's often much slower and comes with its' own frustrations, such as trying to get voltage-controlled gear to make the same sound twice. It does have a very different feel to it than working entirely "in the box".

Hardware brings it's own set of compromises, not least in terms of space and cost, but having started with (MIDI-less) hardware synths because that was the only kind of synth there was at the time, then tried software and never been really happy with the results, I took a decision to move back to hardware the day I picked up a DSI Mopho out of interest and tracked it against a couple of VSTis and the Mopho trampled all over them.

I just wish synths like that had been around 30 years ago at today's prices. Now is perhaps the best time there's ever been to be into analogue.

Despite being primarily a guitarist, I've never used digital/vst guitar amp/fx "emulators" much either as it happens, perhaps because I grew up with the real thing.

Anderton
Re: X3 Producer: Why is it so difficult to record audio from a soft synth? 2015/02/18 21:46:56 (permalink)
Earwax
The very fact that you have to qualify the implementation of the process (non-stochastic instruments, patching, use of loop backs and VST-to-WAV recorder plugins, feedback loops, MIDI timing, etc.) is the difference.

Actually I only qualified about stochastic devices (and I already said I understand why that is relevant) and the latency caused by monitoring through a computer without sufficient power to produce low enough latency. I said nothing about VST to WAV recorder plug-ins. I only mentioned patching and loopbacks if you have to record audio in real time, but I have yet to see any evidence that there's an audible or even a perceptual difference between recording the audio output of a VSTi and playing it back compared to recording the gestures that created the VSTi's audio output and playing those back to produce audio. So as far as I'm concerned, you don't need a loopback to record a VST given that its output already matches the output that would be produced by your playing in real time.

In my humble opinion, recording MIDI data for playback is no substitute for real time audio recording.

With synthesizers, aside from the stochastic caveat, there is no difference. The gestures produce the synthesizer's audio. Recording the gestures, upon playback, produces the same audio. With guitar, an amp sim is not a physical amp and never will be. You choose which sound you want first, then you figure out how to record it. If it's an amp, use a mic. If it's a sim, record the dry guitar track. I dunno, it all seems very simple to me.

Some of us, though, would love to see the same paradigm for recording VST/VSTi that we have for recording external audio.

Well, there are lots of things I'd like to see too! But often, those pesky laws of physics rear their ugly heads. The instant a computer is involved, there will be latency caused by monitoring and there is no way around that at the present time. DAWs excel at capturing external audio and allowing you to edit that audio. VSTis leave the world of multitrack recording and enter the world of "in the box" computer-based production. That is why so many VSTis offer two versions: a plug-in for use with a DAW, and a stand-alone version for use as a (somewhat) traditional instrument.

Even if it was important to record a VSTi's audio because all or most of your synths do interesting random things and you hope to capture the one special performance where the randomness adds up just the way you want, by definition using computer-based instruments has to live within the limitations of a computer-based system - the biggest being latency. 

I would absolutely love for someone to tell me how to achieve the results I want.

It's easy...load each VSTi into a decent laptop. You now have an external instrument, so we're comparing apples to apples (or I guess it would be windows to windows). Record the audio from the instruments into your DAW of choice.

To me the deal breaker isn't whether or not SONAR can record audio. The deal breaker is that before you can even consider that as a viable replacement for something like a PortaStudio or ADAT, latency has to be low enough to give the kind of experience you want or you're just going to have a real-time recording of an unpleasant performance experience. A VSTi in even a dual-core laptop will give low enough latency to be comparable to a hardware synthesizer. When that goes into the DAW, you can use zero-latency monitoring because you have already have your sound in the laptop. 

Again, I understand the need to record stochastic devices. I just don't understand the need to record VSTis that produce the same output regardless of whether you listen to their audio, or you listen to the audio produced by the gestures that produced that audio originally. 

Mixmkr is describing something different and it's a situation I ran into often when creating instructional videos for SONAR. For me the solution was two interfaces. SONAR used an ASIO one and Vegas used a WDM one. I patched the SONAR interface out to the Vegas interface in and recorded SONAR's out in Vegas. It's also possible to do this internally in Windows, but when the SONAR windows were on screen I wanted them to show an actual ASIO interface, like the kind people would use in their day-to-day work, rather than a Windows scenario that would have no relevance to them unless they were doing instructional videos  

And FWIW, the CA-X parameters are automatable. A more ironclad example of why Mixmkr needs what he wants is inserting a stompbox effect sans MIDI control between the guitar and interface.

Earwax
Re: X3 Producer: Why is it so difficult to record audio from a soft synth? 2015/02/18 22:05:29 (permalink)
tlw
Earwax

OK, a serious suggestion. Maybe you ought to consider moving away from VSTis and towards hardware synths. It's a different, "old fashioned" way of working that's often much slower and comes with its' own frustrations, such as trying to get voltage-controlled gear to make the same sound twice. It does have a very different feel to it than working entirely "in the box".

Hardware brings it's own set of compromises, not least in terms of space and cost, but having started with (MIDI-less) hardware synths because that was the only kind of synth there was at the time, then tried software and never been really happy with the results, I took a decision to move back to hardware the day I picked up a DSI Mopho out of interest and tracked it against a couple of VSTis and the Mopho trampled all over them.

I just wish synths like that had been around 30 years ago at today's prices. Now is perhaps the best time there's ever been to be into analogue.

Despite being primarily a guitarist, I've never used digital/vst guitar amp/fx "emulators" much either as it happens, perhaps because I grew up with the real thing.

Hi. Thanks for the response. I'm a bit of a hardware synth hog. Current hardware I own includes, but is not limited to:
Sequential Circuits Prophet 600
Korg DSS-1
Roland MKS-20
Ensoniq ESQ-M
EMU Proteus 1
Akai Z4 sampler (I love this thing!)
Yamaha TG77
Fender Rhodes Mark I Stage Piano (yeah I know - not a synth!)
The first synthesizer I ever touched (and actually trained on) was a modular Moog 900 series system (complete with ribbon controller and two-tiered keyboard) in 1972. I trained on that monster for two years - 1972 and 1973, and went on from there. The sonic power of that thing puts present day VSTi to shame! Needless to say, I never actually owned a modular Moog, but working with one for 2 years was an experience that has changed me forever. The hardware I own now serves me well, but there are VSTi that do things that my hardware can't (Vaz Modular, SCOPE Modular III/IV, Reaktor, and any number of acoustic piano and Hammond B3 emulators spring to mind). So, I do work with external hardware.

The thing is, with hardware, it's plug in, hit record, and go. I want that exact same immediacy with my VST/VSTi.

I'm not a guitarist. I tried - can't play for s**t!! But, I do play Chapman Stick. So I hear you about the hardware amp thing. But, I use a Line 6 POD X3 Pro (2 inputs, one for each side of the Stick), and it does the job.

Anyway, enough rambling. Thanks for your contributions to the thread. You've got some good suggestions!

Earwax
Re: X3 Producer: Why is it so difficult to record audio from a soft synth? 2015/02/18 22:24:19 (permalink)
Anderton
Earwax
The very fact that you have to qualify the implementation of the process (non-stochastic instruments, patching, use of loop backs and VST-to-WAV recorder plugins, feedback loops, MIDI timing, etc.) is the difference.

Actually I only qualified about stochastic devices (and I already said I understand why that is relevant) and the latency caused by monitoring through a computer without sufficient power to produce low enough latency. I said nothing about VST to WAV recorder plug-ins. I only mentioned patching and loopbacks if you have to record audio in real time, but I have yet to see any evidence that there's an audible or even a perceptual difference between recording the audio output of a VSTi and playing it back compared to recording the gestures that created the VSTi's audio output and playing those back to produce audio. So as far as I'm concerned, you don't need a loopback to record a VST given that its output already matches the output that would be produced by your playing in real time.

In my humble opinion, recording MIDI data for playback is no substitute for real time audio recording.

With synthesizers, aside from the stochastic caveat, there is no difference. The gestures produce the synthesizer's audio. Recording the gestures, upon playback, produces the same audio. With guitar, an amp sim is not a physical amp and never will be. You choose which sound you want first, then you figure out how to record it. If it's an amp, use a mic. If it's a sim, record the dry guitar track. I dunno, it all seems very simple to me.

Some of us, though, would love to see the same paradigm for recording VST/VSTi that we have for recording external audio.

Well, there are lots of things I'd like to see too! But often, those pesky laws of physics rear their ugly heads. The instant a computer is involved, there will be latency caused by monitoring and there is no way around that at the present time. DAWs excel at capturing external audio and allowing you to edit that audio. VSTis leave the world of multitrack recording and enter the world of "in the box" computer-based production. That is why so many VSTis offer two versions: a plug-in for use with a DAW, and a stand-alone version for use as a (somewhat) traditional instrument.

Even if it was important to record a VSTi's audio because all or most of your synths do interesting random things and you hope to capture the one special performance where the randomness adds up just the way you want, by definition using computer-based instruments has to live within the limitations of a computer-based system - the biggest being latency. 

I would absolutely love for someone to tell me how to achieve the results I want.

It's easy...load each VSTi into a decent laptop. You now have an external instrument, so we're comparing apples to apples (or I guess it would be windows to windows). Record the audio from the instruments into your DAW of choice.

To me the deal breaker isn't whether or not SONAR can record audio. The deal breaker is that before you can even consider that as a viable replacement for something like a PortaStudio or ADAT, latency has to be low enough to give the kind of experience you want or you're just going to have a real-time recording of an unpleasant performance experience. A VSTi in even a dual-core laptop will give low enough latency to be comparable to a hardware synthesizer. When that goes into the DAW, you can use zero-latency monitoring because you have already have your sound in the laptop. 

Again, I understand the need to record stochastic devices. I just don't understand the need to record VSTis that produce the same output regardless of whether you listen to their audio, or you listen to the audio produced by the gestures that produced that audio originally. 

Mixmkr is describing something different and it's a situation I ran into often when creating instructional videos for SONAR. For me the solution was two interfaces. SONAR used an ASIO one and Vegas used a WDM one. I patched the SONAR interface out to the Vegas interface in and recorded SONAR's out in Vegas. It's also possible to do this internally in Windows, but when the SONAR windows were on screen I wanted them to show an actual ASIO interface, like the kind people would use in their day-to-day work, rather than a Windows scenario that would have no relevance to them unless they were doing instructional videos  

And FWIW, the CA-X parameters are automatable. A more ironclad example of why Mixmkr needs what he wants is inserting a stompbox effect sans MIDI control between the guitar and interface.

Well, I guess we can agree to disagree, and I'm good with that.  

I really didn't mean you specifically suggested all of the workarounds, including VST/VSTi-to-WAV recorders. It was a collective you, meaning taking into account all of the workarounds suggested by everyone, including you. Interesting, though you seem to indicate that what Mixmkr and I want are different, the solutions appear to be quite similar. Two machines (or at least two apps) running Vegas and Sonar using ASIO and WDM drivers for Mixmkr. And, two machines, one running Sonar and one running a standalone VSTi, for me. As I said before, with the laptop and another recording machine, been there, done that.

But hey, different perspectives for different people. I still don't think "The Gates of Delirium" could have been recorded in one take using MIDI data.
Thanks Craig.

swamptooth
Re: X3 Producer: Why is it so difficult to record audio from a soft synth? 2015/02/18 22:33:22 (permalink)
tlw
Exactly. If a VSTi is MIDI controlled no function on it (if we disregard the rarely used NRPN side of MIDI) can have any value other than a fixed number between 0-127 (or 1-128). There are no nuances that a live performance contains that "fit between the numbers" because even if the VSTi can do it, the controller can't.

There may be VSTis that don't work internally within the restrictions of MIDI (I don't use enough software synths to know), but if the MIDI controller they are operated by can only send 128 fixed values that is all the synth is going to receive no matter whether the MIDI is recorded and the track then bounced/frozen or the synth's output is recorded during the performance as audio. The result will be the same.

Unless you're dealing with a synth that accepts OSC(Open Sound Control) http://opensoundcontrol.o...tion-osc messages via non-traditional user interfaces.  MIDI isn't the only game in town.  Sonar can't record OSC messages (neither can most daws).  
And good luck recording any midi from a synth that has randomization functions - here's a pretty extreme example using Dimension pro and its built-in randomizers.   http://youtu.be/umWuQfwMnKk
Honestly, though, no skin off my nose because I have 3 other daws I can do this in, it would just be nice to have Sonar do it so I can get closer to a 100% complete solution.
This functionality is ideal for live resampling into other synths and tools.  Something I don't do a lot. but enough to justify shelling out 500 bucks for alternatives.   

Arvid H. Peterson
Home-brewed VSTs 
M-Audio Fast Track Ultra
Member, ASCAP   

mettelus
Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5321
Re: X3 Producer: Why is it so difficult to record audio from a soft synth? 2015/02/18 22:58:00 (permalink)
I have been reading this and understand that workarounds do exist, but are not elegant; and can commiserate with the OP's point as I experienced this trying to do something I thought would be simple a year ago without having to come up with an intricate routing of spaghetti to achieve.

I appended the associated Feature Request thread with this post rather than contaminate this thread further (since it will achieve nothing), but the only thing I have seen (which will not work for SONAR itself) is a simple VST audio tap called "Spitter" that feeds Geist's internal sampling engine. Internally, Geist can see these and does not route the sampled audio back into the host's audio engine (to prevent a feedback loop).

[I am not sure what constitutes "cross threading" (my apologies if this is), but the bulk of the content is in the feature request where it may one day be implemented for SONAR users.]

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
Earwax
Re: X3 Producer: Why is it so difficult to record audio from a soft synth? 2015/02/18 23:02:02 (permalink)
swamptooth
tlw

Unless you're dealing with a synth that accepts OSC(Open Sound Control) http://opensoundcontrol.o...tion-osc messages via non-traditional user interfaces.  MIDI isn't the only game in town.  Sonar can't record OSC messages (neither can most daws).  
And good luck recording any midi from a synth that has randomization functions - here's a pretty extreme example using Dimension pro and its built-in randomizers.   http://youtu.be/umWuQfwMnKk
Honestly, though, no skin off my nose because I have 3 other daws I can do this in, it would just be nice to have Sonar do it so I can get closer to a 100% complete solution.
This functionality is ideal for live resampling into other synths and tools.  Something I don't do a lot. but enough to justify shelling out 500 bucks for alternatives.   

Okay, now you've whetted my appetite! What DAW(s) are you using that can do this??

swamptooth
Re: X3 Producer: Why is it so difficult to record audio from a soft synth? 2015/02/18 23:15:41 (permalink)
Cubase reason ableton and (occasionally) reaper though i hate its ui.

Arvid H. Peterson
Home-brewed VSTs 
M-Audio Fast Track Ultra
Member, ASCAP   

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 3 of 6
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1