Helpful ReplyX3 Producer: Why is it so difficult to record audio from a soft synth?

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 6
Author
Earwax
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 242
Re: X3 Producer: Why is it so difficult to record audio from a soft synth? 2015/02/16 21:18:51 (permalink)
Anderton
Why not just send an output back into an interface input? You'll need to nudge the track before mixing to compensate for any extra latency, but it lets you record the audio. As a bonus you can patch weird little non-MIDI effects (like stompboxes) in between the output and input and tweak those knobs, too.

Hi Craig. Yep. That's EXACTLY what I do now. Luckily, because I use SCOPE, there is no DA/AD conversion involved. It's Softsynth-to-SCOPE DSP via ADAT (where I can add effects, "mash" things up, etc.) - back to Sonar via ADAT. Not necessarily ideal. It works, but direct real time recording of VST/VSTi output would be a superb option!

post edited by Earwax - 2015/02/16 22:33:18

Pain - the absence of things hoped for, the evidence of catastrophes unforeseen.
mixmkr
Max Output Level: -43.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3169
Re: X3 Producer: Why is it so difficult to record audio from a soft synth? 2015/02/16 21:19:58 (permalink)
mudgel
It's not hard to do, that is to record your VSTi in real time, you just have to be prepared to deal with the issues that it brings up. Send your monitor source out of your audio device and loop it back onto another track making sure that that track is out of your monitor path. Voila, you have a live recoding of your performance. If you are going to add further material you'll have to nudge the recorded VSTi audio tracks.

I think you beat Craig to the draw with that one...  I'm stuck in the middle.

some tunes: --->        www.masonharwoodproject.bandcamp.com 
StudioCat i7 4770k 3.5gHz, 16 RAM,  Sonar Platinum, CD Arch 5.2, Steinberg UR-44
videos--->https://www.youtube.com/user/mixmkr

mixmkr
Re: X3 Producer: Why is it so difficult to record audio from a soft synth? 2015/02/16 21:22:21 (permalink)

Earwax
 but direct real time recording of VST/VSTi output would be a superb option!

as "members"... maybe we can hope.  That would be great.

StudioCat i7 4770k 3.5gHz, 16 RAM,  Sonar Platinum, CD Arch 5.2, Steinberg UR-44

Earwax
Re: X3 Producer: Why is it so difficult to record audio from a soft synth? 2015/02/16 21:22:42 (permalink)
mixmkr
Anderton
Why not just send an output back into an interface input? You'll need to nudge the track before mixing to compensate for any extra latency, but it lets you record the audio. As a bonus you can patch weird little non-MIDI effects (like stompboxes) in between the output and input and tweak those knobs, too.

For sure.  I've done that before myself.  Just watch the feedback loop....and mute what needs muting.  ;-O

As a guitar player, I never really understood re-amping... and need the feedback off of the goofy stuff you're plugged into.  Using FX within Sonar, requires you to do such a procedure of recording your "live performance", without just slapping the same FX on your gtr track on playback....thinking it's the same "final" result, that you were hearing when playing live/recording.

EDIT....ok perfect example.  Could you have re-amped Jimi's guitar for his version of the "Star Spangled Banner"?  No...not a synth, but I'm thinking same principle here, wanted by the OP.

Your example is exactly the point. Jimi is playing his gutar, effected the way he wants, and recording same, all in real time.

Pain - the absence of things hoped for, the evidence of catastrophes unforeseen.
mixmkr
Re: X3 Producer: Why is it so difficult to record audio from a soft synth? 2015/02/16 21:25:49 (permalink)
Not to get off topic... But I'd like this feature for my videos, when I'm trying to show something, but manually tweaking knobs on plugins AS I'm PLAYING LIVE.  That way I'm not getting into crazy amounts of automation on playback.  If I could record my results live, that would be great.  You can't have a track in "record" and "write" at the same time, to my knowledge also.

Splat
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8672
Re: X3 Producer: Why is it so difficult to record audio from a soft synth? 2015/02/16 21:28:50 (permalink)
Earwax

Yes, I really would love to see real time recording for softsynths and effects implemented in Sonar. Probably not going to happen anytime soon, though, if ever. Oh well..............

Not if you don't vote for it ;)
http://forum.cakewalk.com...ecording-m3099239.aspx

Sell by date at 9000 posts. Do not feed.
@48/24 & 128 buffers latency is 367 with offset of 38.

Sonar Platinum(64 bit),Win 8.1(64 bit),Saffire Pro 40(Firewire),Mix Control = 3.4,Firewire=VIA,Dell Studio XPS 8100(Intel Core i7 CPU 2.93 Ghz/16 Gb),4 x Seagate ST31500341AS (mirrored),GeForce GTX 460,Yamaha DGX-505 keyboard,Roland A-300PRO,Roland SPD-30 V2,FD-8,Triggera Krigg,Shure SM7B,Yamaha HS5.Maschine Studio+Komplete 9 Ultimate+Kontrol Z1.Addictive Keys,Izotope Nectar elements,Overloud Bundle,Geist.Acronis True Image 2014.
Earwax
Re: X3 Producer: Why is it so difficult to record audio from a soft synth? 2015/02/16 21:32:29 (permalink)
mudgel
It's not hard to do, that is to record your VSTi in real time, you just have to be prepared to deal with the issues that it brings up. Send your monitor source out of your audio device and loop it back onto another track making sure that that track is out of your monitor path. Voila, you have a live recoding of your performance. If you are going to add further material you'll have to nudge the recorded VSTi audio tracks.

No one is saying what you describe hasn't been tried. Those who like to record "live" have been doing it (or some variant) for years. A substantially more direct method is what is being suggested. Some get the concept, and some don't. Some prefer the methodology, and some don't. I'm okay with that. People work differently. But to suggest (and I'm not saying you are), that one method is superior to the other, or that people who prefer one method over the other are somehow brain-damaged, is ludicrous. 

Earwax
Re: X3 Producer: Why is it so difficult to record audio from a soft synth? 2015/02/16 21:34:55 (permalink)
mixmkr
Not to get off topic... But I'd like this feature for my videos, when I'm trying to show something, but manually tweaking knobs on plugins AS I'm PLAYING LIVE.  That way I'm not getting into crazy amounts of automation on playback.  If I could record my results live, that would be great.  You can't have a track in "record" and "write" at the same time, to my knowledge also.

Actually, this isn't off topic at all! That's a HUGE part of "live" playing and recording!

Earwax
Re: X3 Producer: Why is it so difficult to record audio from a soft synth? 2015/02/16 21:39:01 (permalink)
CakeAlexS
Earwax
Yes, I really would love to see real time recording for softsynths and effects implemented in Sonar. Probably not going to happen anytime soon, though, if ever. Oh well..............

Not if you don't vote for it ;)
http://forum.cakewalk.com...ecording-m3099239.aspx

Thanks Alex!

tlw
Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2567
Re: X3 Producer: Why is it so difficult to record audio from a soft synth? 2015/02/16 22:57:19 (permalink)
Earwax
Your example is exactly the point. Jimi is playing his gutar, effected the way he wants, and recording same, all in real time.

Hm.

"Once it was in the can, then you'd start mucking with it.... For the various effects and things..." (Chas Chandler on recording Jimi Hendrix).

Recording Jimi Hendrix was not a simple process either in the studio or live. Even live recordings would be post-processed in the studio prior to release if for no other reason than to sort out the mix, get things to the right length to fit on a side on a LP and to master for the requirements of vinyl.

As for recording soft synth's audio output rather than recording the MIDI then bouncing/freezing the synth I really don't see the issue unless you are dealing with a synth that has functions that can't be MIDI controlled.

If a synth (or e.g. Sonar's step sequencer) has a randomising factor, then whether that first take is going to be the best is a matter of luck in any case. My approach is to do multiple bounces of the part to audio then pick between them and even comp the best bits together.

Other than that, when you play a software (or hardware) synth using a MIDI controller the synth is responding to the MIDI. The synth has no way to tell if the MIDI data is being generated as part of a "live" performance or sent after the fact from a sequencer or Sonar MIDI track..

Sonar Platinum 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit, I7 3770K Ivybridge, 16GB Ram, Gigabyte Z77-D3H m/board,
ATI 7750 graphics+ 1GB RAM, 2xIntel 520 series 220GB SSDs, 1 TB Samsung F3 + 1 TB WD HDDs, Seasonic fanless 460W psu, RME Fireface UFX, Focusrite Octopre.
Assorted real synths, guitars, mandolins, diatonic accordions, percussion, fx and other stuff.
AT
  • Total Posts : 10654
Re: X3 Producer: Why is it so difficult to record audio from a soft synth? 2015/02/17 00:41:04 (permalink)
If you want to record the performance pad in Alchemy you have to record out - I go out to a combo and mic it.  If anyone has a simpler method for messing w/ the pad, let me know.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
Earwax
Re: X3 Producer: Why is it so difficult to record audio from a soft synth? 2015/02/17 01:20:46 (permalink)
tlw
Earwax

Hm.
"Once it was in the can, then you'd start mucking with it.... For the various effects and things..." (Chas Chandler on recording Jimi Hendrix).

Recording Jimi Hendrix was not a simple process either in the studio or live. Even live recordings would be post-processed in the studio prior to release if for no other reason than to sort out the mix, get things to the right length to fit on a side on a LP and to master for the requirements of vinyl.

Jimi used Electric Ladyland (the studio) as a sonic science laboratory, doing many things post-recording that hadn’t been done on that scale before. So, of course, Hendrix’s performances were at times edited – quite heavily. That wasn’t the point. The point was that his performance of the Star-Spangled Banner (live) was directly related to what he was playing, hearing and recording at the time. The musician’s mindset when recording live can be VERY different than when recording audio or MIDI data just to get ideas in, knowing full well the performance will most assuredly have to be edited later.

tlw
Earwax

As for recording soft synth's audio output rather than recording the MIDI then bouncing/freezing the synth I really don't see the issue unless you are dealing with a synth that has functions that can't be MIDI controlled.

See above regarding live performance/recording. Playing a synth whose parameters you are using during your performance
tlw
Earwax

If a synth (or e.g. Sonar's step sequencer) has a randomising factor, then whether that first take is going to be the best is a matter of luck in any case. My approach is to do multiple bounces of the part to audio then pick between them and even comp the best bits together.

I understand what you’re saying, but I’m not talking about utilizing step sequencers. I’m also not talking about a synth’s canned “randomizing” capability. I’m talking about recording live playing, tweaking, and effects as you play. Again, a very different approach. Particularly if you are playing with someone as you are recording.

tlw
Earwax

Other than that, when you play a software (or hardware) synth using a MIDI controller the synth is responding to the MIDI. The synth has no way to tell if the MIDI data is being generated as part of a "live" performance or sent after the fact from a sequencer or Sonar MIDI track..

Well I’d like to think that most synthesists adept enough as players to want to record live know how MIDI works. A number have expressed a desire to be able to record VST and VSTi output “live” as they play. I guess none of us know how this stuff works.

Sanderxpander
Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3873
Re: X3 Producer: Why is it so difficult to record audio from a soft synth? 2015/02/17 01:47:55 (permalink)
Randomness would be an issue for midi based recording because you could be inspired to do (for example) a filter tweak based on notes or fx generated by the synth. Then afterwards the automation recording will play back your tweak, but change the thing that made you do it.

I'm all for this now. My soundcard actually does enough routing to set it up there but it seems relatively simple to implement within Sonar.
to_be_deleted
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 21
Re: X3 Producer: Why is it so difficult to record audio from a soft synth? 2015/02/17 09:13:35 (permalink)
Reading thru all this it seems to me "random" was a poor word choice and led several off the track. It's not "randomness" that needs to be captured but rather the spur of the moment interaction between what is heard and what/how I play. Much of this can certainly be done after the fact (post-processing, if MIDI control allows it) but I think most players would find it easier to do it live and "in the moment". As was said previous, my mindset is different playing that it is editing. But perhaps that's my limitation. If so, this feature would be great to allow me to function best within my limitations. I'm voting for it.
bvideo
Max Output Level: -58 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1707
Re: X3 Producer: Why is it so difficult to record audio from a soft synth? 2015/02/17 15:00:10 (permalink)
I agree about interaction. Apparently there are some synths or effects that produce sound in a way that is not fully reproducible by midi input. It's easy to call that random. The point is the performer interacts with that element, and the midi representation of that performance is not necessarily as musical as the original performance.
brundlefly
  • Total Posts : 14250
Re: X3 Producer: Why is it so difficult to record audio from a soft synth? 2015/02/17 15:26:30 (permalink)
to_be_deleted
Reading thru all this it seems to me "random" was a poor word choice and led several off the track. It's not "randomness" that needs to be captured but rather the spur of the moment interaction between what is heard and what/how I play.

Yes, I almost went back and posted something similar (since I made the mistake of using the "R" word, myself), but the folks who "get it" already understand that, and the ones who don't are likely to continue resisting the concept.

I've lost track of how many threads like this there have been over the years, and they always go around and around with the same old debates. Personally I'm content to use digital loopback recording when I need this, which is rarely, but I understand that others need it often enough to want it built in.

The bottom line is that everyone who wants this should either enter a feature request or add a thumbs up to an existing one in the forum, and let it go at that. Debating the necessity on the main forum doesn't really help, and there are no fully functional workarounds other than loopback recording. I suspect the Bakers are already pretty well aware of the more or less frequently expressed desire for this and the general desire for more audio/MIDI routing flexibility, and will implement it when they determine the time is right.

SONAR Platinum x64, 2x MOTU 2408/PCIe-424  (24-bit, 48kHz)
Win10, I7-6700K @ 4.0GHz, 24GB DDR4, 2TB HDD, 32GB SSD Cache, GeForce GTX 750Ti, 2x 24" 16:10 IPS Monitors
Anderton
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: X3 Producer: Why is it so difficult to record audio from a soft synth? 2015/02/17 15:31:27 (permalink)
I think the Hendrix playing live example isn't that germane...to record that, you'd just stick a mic in front of the amp. You could achieve the same thing with SONAR by playing a hardware synthesizer's audio output into a track. In some ways I think that would be superior anyway, because odds are there will be a control surface that encourages real-time playing...particularly if it's a "one knob/one function" analog synth.

Personally, I don't see the difference between playing a synthesizer and having SONAR record my gestures compared to SONAR recording the audio that results from those gestures. For example, I consider mixing (with hardware or touch faders) as a performance, not as a set-and-forget ritual of setting faders. I slam 'em around, solo things, pan, etc. With analog consoles, what you mixed was what you heard. Now we have automation, which again to me, makes no audible difference compared to capturing the mixer output to a two-track in real time. (And as far as Mix Recall is concerned, YEAH BABY!!!).

I think in large part it comes down to psychology as to someone's preferred mode of working. Aside from some randomized parameter causing a spur-of-the-moment interaction, which I doubt is all that common, I really don't think the end result is technically any different whether you capture gestures or record audio. However, there's also no difference in playing guitar with a beautiful sunburst finish compared to one painted in Gas Station Green, but you're going to want to play the one with the beautiful finish because it puts you in a better frame of mind. 

There's something exciting about playing without a safety net. If you turn off MIDI and just record audio in real time, that's what you're doing. I think that's what it's all about, as opposed to the technicalities of the differences in capturing sound or gestures.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
mixmkr
Re: X3 Producer: Why is it so difficult to record audio from a soft synth? 2015/02/17 16:21:11 (permalink)
Anderton
I think the Hendrix playing live example isn't that germane...to record that, you'd just stick a mic in front of the amp. You could achieve the same thing with SONAR by playing a hardware synthesizer's audio output into a track.

The Hendrix example [to me] is relevant, because you couldn't play a "clean" guitar into Sonar, pull up TH2 and re-amp it and get the same results as the captured/recorded [live] audio performance.  Most notable would be the feedback loop Hendrix created thru his amp and guitar pickups and how it was controlled AT the time of recording.  You LOSE that interaction when re-amping.  (or playing back a MIDI sequence into a VSTi)

And yes, you could run the VSTi out thru an amp and mic it...(and I believe that was previously suggested), but now you've added quite a lot into the signal chain to do that, with the amp/mic combo "coloring" the sound the most.

The preference is to keep it all in the computer and *pure*.  As you've suggested, and I also agree (and have done) is to physically re-patch and mute where needed.  I think pretty much everyone agrees this is a method but in some situations apparently isn't practical for some.  (no patch bay, audio interface rack mounted...etc, etc)

What this boils down to is that there are two sides to this..  1) those that believe MIDI can NOT capture all the gestures of a live performance and thus will NOT duplicate what was done during the initial performance...(because of various reasons ...i.e.  the non repetitive nature of some VSTi and the interaction of the PLAYING that might cause.....  and 2)...those that think MIDI can do all that.

gunboatdiplomacy
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 87
Re: X3 Producer: Why is it so difficult to record audio from a soft synth? 2015/02/17 17:02:46 (permalink)
This was a huge shock to me coming from DP where you could treat soft synthy like tape: arm and record the output.

Now I just bounce. I can't really stand freezing tracks.

timg11
Since the software Synth outputs appear in the list of available inputs for an audio track, it would seem to be simple to just record the synth onto a new audio track.  But as soon as the synth audio is selected as the input, the record enable for the track disappears! 

After searching help, I find "Converting your soft synth tracks to audio".  This is a 9 step procedure involving "bounce to track" and lots of fiddling around with settings. Compared to "select input source, enable record" that seems like going around the block.  To add insult, it doesn't work! Following the procedure results in nothing recorded to the destination track.

Can anyone explain why the obvious, straightforward method for recording audio from a soft synth is prevented from being used? That is exactly what I do to record an external synth. Why is a soft synth any different?

Does anyone know of an alternate (working) procedure to record the synth audio?  I don't see any way to route a bus back to a track input. I suppose I could play the SW synth through a pair of channels on my audio interface, and loop it back into Sonar on different channels, but that seems silly. What am I missing?

ward s
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 76
Re: X3 Producer: Why is it so difficult to record audio from a soft synth? 2015/02/17 17:56:00 (permalink)
AndertonI think in large part it comes down to psychology as to someone's preferred mode of working.

There's something exciting about playing without a safety net. If you turn off MIDI and just record audio in real time, that's what you're doing. I think that's what it's all about, as opposed to the technicalities of the differences in capturing sound or gestures.

I'm not much of a synth guy, but the discussion is fascinating. 

I don't know enough about synths and midi to contribute to the technical side of the discussion, but I agree that the psychology of "live" vs "midi" is totally different. I grew up on a diet of weekend-long jam sessions, very short on formal structure and very long on spontaneity and improvisation. One of my big challenges in Sonar has been to find ways of getting that moment-by-moment expressiveness within the byte-by-byte precision of this monster machine. It's pretty hard to find that impulsive looseness that you get from a bunch of musicians on a weekend-long musical bender. I get Craig's point, that the gestures can be recorded perfectly well in midi, but I also know how phony it feels to try to tweak in what "sounds like" looseness after the fact. 

i5, 16 gigs RAM, 3.3 GHz
Windows 7 64 bit
Sonar Platinum
M-Audio fast track pro
Axiom 25
1988 PRS Custom with Joe Barden 'buckers
G&L fretless bass
Dog
Earwax
Re: X3 Producer: Why is it so difficult to record audio from a soft synth? 2015/02/17 19:52:27 (permalink)
It seems as though quite a few people who don't see the difference/don't understand the desire for "live" VST/VSTi direct to audio recording may be approaching the recording process as a "one person-one instrument at a time" event. If so, fair enough. Let me present another type of scenario.

A five piece band walks into a "normal" recording studio. The band consists of two guitarists, a keyboardist, a bassist, and a drummer. The band is well rehearsed, and wants to record "live". They've played out together enough to know that is the best method to capture their performances. The instruments and amps are set up, the microphones are set up, the effects for each person are set up. All effects, amps, and instruments are external - no VST/VSTi. The keyboardist has a 61-key controller,an 88-key controller and some pedals controlling a bunch of hardware synths and effects. The two guitarists and bass guitarist all have a bunch of effects, including pedals. The drummer is playing an acoustic set, with mics "everywhere", with each kit piece being recorded on a track of its own. Everything is plugged into a beautiful hardware mixing console. Only audio is recorded.

The recording device is a computer running Sonar.

Sonar has absolutely no problem recording this band in real time - a fact the band loves. The recording is a success.

A second band comes in - same instrumentation, except keys, drums, and all effects are virtual - VST/VSTi hosted in Sonar. Again, drummer wants a separate track for each piece in his BFD3 kit, with some VST effects from different manufacturers to give him the sound that he wants. The guitarists are using amp sims and other VST effects for their sounds. The keyboardist is playing the VAZ Modular synth from the 61-key controller, and layering Ivory and Vienna Strings on the 88-key controller. He is using various VST effects. The band wants to  record audio - "live".

The recording device is a computer running Sonar.

Will Sonar have absolutely no problem recording this band "live", just like the first band? Will the band have the same "in the moment" experience playing and recording at the same time?

Notice, I haven't even got into any effects changes/tweaks, synth tweaks/patch alterations, happening while either band is recording.

This scenario could also hold true for a duo wanting to record live using VST/VSTi.

Since too many people can't seem to understand why a single person would want this, I won't go there again.

Earwax
Re: X3 Producer: Why is it so difficult to record audio from a soft synth? 2015/02/17 20:01:09 (permalink)
mixmkr
Anderton
I think the Hendrix playing live example isn't that germane...to record that, you'd just stick a mic in front of the amp. You could achieve the same thing with SONAR by playing a hardware synthesizer's audio output into a track.

The Hendrix example [to me] is relevant, because you couldn't play a "clean" guitar into Sonar, pull up TH2 and re-amp it and get the same results as the captured/recorded [live] audio performance.  Most notable would be the feedback loop Hendrix created thru his amp and guitar pickups and how it was controlled AT the time of recording.  You LOSE that interaction when re-amping.  (or playing back a MIDI sequence into a VSTi)

And yes, you could run the VSTi out thru an amp and mic it...(and I believe that was previously suggested), but now you've added quite a lot into the signal chain to do that, with the amp/mic combo "coloring" the sound the most.

The preference is to keep it all in the computer and *pure*.  As you've suggested, and I also agree (and have done) is to physically re-patch and mute where needed.  I think pretty much everyone agrees this is a method but in some situations apparently isn't practical for some.  (no patch bay, audio interface rack mounted...etc, etc)

What this boils down to is that there are two sides to this..  1) those that believe MIDI can NOT capture all the gestures of a live performance and thus will NOT duplicate what was done during the initial performance...(because of various reasons ...i.e.  the non repetitive nature of some VSTi and the interaction of the PLAYING that might cause.....  and 2)...those that think MIDI can do all that.

He gets it.............. I would only add that those of us who would like to see live VST/VSTi direct recording in Sonar already see the value of MIDI recording. Different situations (and moods) call for different methods.

rabeach
Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2703
Re: X3 Producer: Why is it so difficult to record audio from a soft synth? 2015/02/17 20:21:07 (permalink)
When using the random generators in dimension pro's midi matrix as a source to control the destinations/parameters available for control, I'm interacting live while playing my wind/keyboard midi controller with the random generators in a way that bouncing to audio does not preserve. I have used both workarounds but it would be nice not to have to.
Anderton
Re: X3 Producer: Why is it so difficult to record audio from a soft synth? 2015/02/17 21:15:45 (permalink)
mixmkr
Anderton

I think you're missing my point. As I said, it's about the experience (no pun intended, of course!). Comparing Jimi Hendrix playing live to using amp sims is not the point I was trying to make. I was trying to make the point that what he did was analogous to playing through a hardware keyboard, in real time, which has a control surface you can manipulate. And that's still an option, and as I said, very possibly a preferable one compared to trying to make soft synths, a mouse, and a QWERTY keyboard do the same thing as a Prophet-12. Even if you could record an instrument output live into a track, that to me is not a "live" experience in the sense of playing a dedicated hardware keyboard...or a guitar through an amp.

The other place the Hendrix analogy breaks down is you CAN play through an amp and interact with it, get feedback, etc. and mic it, while sending a direct feed to the computer. So the computer can incorporate the string sustain etc. for re-amping, although the sim will likely not have the same level of nuances as an amp playing in a room (unless of course it's one of my sims, LOL). Sticking a keyboard through an amp is nowhere near the same experience, because the amp and guitar literally "talk" to each other, with each affecting what the other does. A hardware keyboard will not react to an amp, although the player might.

Playing guitar and playing keyboard are so different that I don't think it's possible to draw analogies. As far as I can tell this discussion has little to do with instruments, but about how one feels playing live and knowing it's live and will never happen the same way again, as opposed to recording something and editing it later. It's not a question of "getting it" or not "getting it," any more than someone who watches a movie can't "get" live theater. It's a different experience. Personally, both have their place.

This thread reminds me what I tell people who are interested in Ableton Live - don't even bother unless you buy a hardware controller for it. Or, can you imagine running Traktor without a controller? Both are about live experience.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
Earwax
Re: X3 Producer: Why is it so difficult to record audio from a soft synth? 2015/02/17 22:00:12 (permalink)
Anderton
mixmkr
Anderton

I think you're missing my point. As I said, it's about the experience (no pun intended, of course!). Comparing Jimi Hendrix playing live to using amp sims is not the point I was trying to make. I was trying to make the point that what he did was analogous to playing through a hardware keyboard, in real time, which has a control surface you can manipulate. And that's still an option, and as I said, very possibly a preferable one compared to trying to make soft synths, a mouse, and a QWERTY keyboard do the same thing as a Prophet-12. Even if you could record an instrument output live into a track, that to me is not a "live" experience in the sense of playing a dedicated hardware keyboard...or a guitar through an amp.

The other place the Hendrix analogy breaks down is you CAN play through an amp and interact with it, get feedback, etc. and mic it, while sending a direct feed to the computer. So the computer can incorporate the string sustain etc. for re-amping, although the sim will likely not have the same level of nuances as an amp playing in a room (unless of course it's one of my sims, LOL). Sticking a keyboard through an amp is nowhere near the same experience, because the amp and guitar literally "talk" to each other, with each affecting what the other does. A hardware keyboard will not react to an amp, although the player might.

Playing guitar and playing keyboard are so different that I don't think it's possible to draw analogies. As far as I can tell this discussion has little to do with instruments, but about how one feels playing live and knowing it's live and will never happen the same way again, as opposed to recording something and editing it later. It's not a question of "getting it" or not "getting it," any more than someone who watches a movie can't "get" live theater. It's a different experience. Personally, both have their place.

This thread reminds me what I tell people who are interested in Ableton Live - don't even bother unless you buy a hardware controller for it. Or, can you imagine running Traktor without a controller? Both are about live experience.

Craig,

All that being said, can Sonar handle the two recording situations I cited above with equanimity? In other words, can Sonar record all of the VST/VSTi outputs (maybe some 30 or so tracks) at the same time, just like it recorded the audio outputs (again probably some thirty or so tracks) from the mixing desk? If it can't, then it doesn't do what I (and apparently others) want. The playing and recording of guitars, keyboards and drums are indeed exactly the same in this instance. It's about musicans playing and recording amp sims, VSTi, and other VST effects just like they would their hardware counterparts. If Sonar can't take the outputs from 8 or 9 VST/VSTi and record those outputs onto multiple tracks at the same time as it produces them, then it can't record VST/VSTi live. So, the musical experience of the second band is different than the musical experience shared by the first band. Hence the "getting it" implication.

To me, the implementation of this capability would go far in Sonar attaining a true "studio-in-a-box" piece of software. 

swamptooth
Max Output Level: -53 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2229
Re: X3 Producer: Why is it so difficult to record audio from a soft synth? 2015/02/17 22:11:30 (permalink)
Randomness generators are one area where this approach is ideal.  I think nobody has mentioned synths that use open sound control, like reaktor to a very deep level.  these are not midi messages, but do control events and parameters.  there are some osc to midi translators out there but the depth of recorded data can be lacking.  I would like to encourage anyone with reaktor to play with the newscool ensemble.  Note you cannot record any drawings you make interactively via midi so those variations will be lost in the wind without realtime recording.
Ideally, I would like to see implementation of soft synth or other track routing to a recordable track.  I would also like to see sonar implement release velocity recording and editing because all of their synths support the parameter - which is great.  Works well in the standalone versions of z3ta series and dp and rapture, but when those vsts are inserted into sonar that functionality goes out the door.  (*oops tangent*).

Arvid H. Peterson
Sonar X3E Prod / X2A  / X1PE | Cubase 9.5.1 | Reason 9.5 | Sibelius7 | Pure Data
Native-Instruments Komplete 10 Ultimate and a smattering of other plugins
Home-brewed VSTs 
Toshiba Satellite S855-S5378 (16GB RAM, modified with 2x 750GB HDDs, Windows 8.1 x64)  
Samson Graphite 49, M-Audio Oxygen 49, Korg nanoPAD2, Webcam motion tracking programs 
M-Audio Fast Track Ultra
Member, ASCAP   

perfectprint
Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 862
Re: X3 Producer: Why is it so difficult to record audio from a soft synth? 2015/02/17 22:11:40 (permalink)
I need this!!!

my trusty emu 0404 with patchmix software is on the fritz and I can no longer route audio back into sonar to record. 
my main issue is Sonar's freeze and bounce functions screwing with certain parameters in vsti sequencers (specifically Reaktor ones) and rendering the audio completely different, AND making setting irretrievable. 
There should be no need for a work around anyway. This should be a regular feature. 

keep voting: http://forum.cakewalk.com...ecording-m3099239.aspx

Sonar Platinum                      

Anderton
Re: X3 Producer: Why is it so difficult to record audio from a soft synth? 2015/02/18 00:22:13 (permalink)
Earwax

Craig,

All that being said, can Sonar handle the two recording situations I cited above with equanimity?

Well, there are really two separate issues. The first is technical, and probably renders the second moot: If you're recording 30 tracks of heavy-duty VSTis into SONAR, the hit on the CPU is going to be significant, so the latency will be as well. That alone will be enough to prevent a live experience for the musicians regardless of whether you're recording audio or the gestures that cause the instruments to create that audio. 

Of course, computers keep getting faster and who knows, if Thunderbolt II becomes commonplace we might look back with amusement at the days when - imagine that! - musicians would hit a key on a keyboard and have the sound come out a dozen or more milliseconds later. So live recording using CPU-intensive, computer-based instrument setups seems pretty much like a non-starter anyway until computers and interfaces get faster. 

But consider the following. Assume someone plays a keyboard that is not subject to random "happy accidents," so changing what one plays based on these random events is a non-issue. And let's pretend audible latency doesn't exist, because someday it won't.

If I set up a VSTi stand-alone in a laptop (no recording software), send its output to a speaker, and play it from a keyboard controller with a bunch of useful controls as if it was a hardware instrument, then you have your "live experience of playing keyboard" except of course for the latency.

If you set up that VSTi in a DAW (SONAR or whatever), enable input echo, send its output to a speaker, and play it from a keyboard controller with a bunch of useful controls as if it was a hardware instrument, then you again have the same "live experience of playing keyboard." Yes?

Now if you take the above scenario with the only difference being that someone enabled "record" without your knowing it before you started playing, you would still have the "live experience of playing keyboard." However now if you chose to, you could play back your part.

In this scenario, again if you ignore latency and random happy accidents, on playback shouldn't you hear exactly what you played live?

This doesn't obviate the need for recording VSTi outs for those situations where there are variations generated within the instruments or by happy accidents, so it's not an argument against including that feature because obviously, some people want it and have valid reasons for that. What I don't understand is why, in the scenarios given above, recording the gestures used to create a sound are somehow different from recording the sound itself.

Earwax
Re: X3 Producer: Why is it so difficult to record audio from a soft synth? 2015/02/18 03:25:27 (permalink)

Anderton
Earwax

Craig,

All that being said, can Sonar handle the two recording situations I cited above with equanimity?

Well, there are really two separate issues. The first is technical, and probably renders the second moot: If you're recording 30 tracks of heavy-duty VSTis into SONAR, the hit on the CPU is going to be significant, so the latency will be as well. That alone will be enough to prevent a live experience for the musicians regardless of whether you're recording audio or the gestures that cause the instruments to create that audio. 

Okay – how about 8 tracks? My point was, it appears Sonar can’t handle the live simultaneous playback and recording of multiple VST/VSTi.

Anderton
Earwax

If I set up a VSTi stand-alone in a laptop (no recording software), send its output to a speaker, and play it from a keyboard controller with a bunch of useful controls as if it was a hardware instrument, then you have your "live experience of playing keyboard" except of course for the latency.

I actually just did this a couple of months ago, recording BFD2 drum tracks from my laptop “live” into a recorder for a CD project. I used an Alternate Mode Trapkat (not a keyboard – live drumming), triggering BFD2. I used my sound interface’s analog stereo out-to-recorder-in for several reasons. Not what I wanted to do, but there you go.
Anderton
Earwax

If you set up that VSTi in a DAW (SONAR or whatever), enable input echo, send its output to a speaker, and play it from a keyboard controller with a bunch of useful controls as if it was a hardware instrument, then you again have the same "live experience of playing keyboard." Yes?

Maybe, if (a) As you said, everything about the VSTi is MIDI controllable (b) You are only controlling that one VSTi (c) Nobody else is playing with you (d) The MIDI track actually does capture all of the performance nuances that you wanted it to (no MIDI timing screw ups for example). If any of the criteria aren’t met, so much for capturing the great live performance. As soon as one of the guitarists enters the picture, for example, the “live” recording situation breaks down, right?

Anderton
Earwax

Now if you take the above scenario with the only difference being that someone enabled "record" without your knowing it before you started playing, you would still have the "live experience of playing keyboard." However now if you chose to, you could play back your part.

In this scenario, again if you ignore latency and random happy accidents, on playback shouldn't you hear exactly what you played live?

So what you are saying is that, in the instance of recording BFD2 drums that I cited above, if the recorder had been Sonar, and BFD2 was sitting in Sonar’s instrument rack as a VSTi (instead of on my laptop), and I had wanted to record 8 tracks of drums, effected by a couple of Sonar VST, that I could have recorded that performance directly into Sonar from BFD2? And, if a bass player had wanted to record a track using a bass amp sim in Sonar’s effects rack at the same time, we could have done that? Or say, for example, if I want to record both sides of my Chapman Stick live into Sonar using one instance of one of your amp sims and one instance of another company’s amp sim (Sorry…) plus a couple of VST effects, I can do that?

Anderton
Earwax

This doesn't obviate the need for recording VSTi outs for those situations where there are variations generated within the instruments or by happy accidents, so it's not an argument against including that feature because obviously, some people want it and have valid reasons for that. What I don't understand is why, in the scenarios given above, recording the gestures used to create a sound are somehow different from recording the sound itself.

Because the guitarists in the bands cited in my examples are not recording gestures. They are recording sounds. They are recording sounds at the same time as the keyboardist and drummer are recording their sounds and some (depending on the VSTi and what performance tweaks they are using) of their gestures.  The live performance breaks down even in duo or trio recording without the ability to record VST/VSTi directly into Sonar.  

As I said, for the one-guy in the studio-one-keyboard-one-completely MIDI controllable VSTi-with no other VST effects kind of situation, I completely understand where some people are coming from. Fortunately or unfortunately, I very often don't work that way. It would be nice to have a DAW where, no matter which way I chose to work, my only concern (in this context) would be CPU horsepower and RAM.
post edited by Earwax - 2015/02/18 03:33:03

Earwax
Re: X3 Producer: Why is it so difficult to record audio from a soft synth? 2015/02/18 03:37:12 (permalink)
One more thought. I can't imagine how much fun editing the MIDI track(s) would be if the piece of music being recorded involved multiple time signatures, tempo changes, etc.

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 6
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1