Problem with the SONAR CPU meter please...?

Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 9
Author
benjamincharles
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 83
2010/08/05 08:50:58 (permalink)

Problem with the SONAR CPU meter please...?

Greetings!

I have a problem that I really need some help with.  I have built my own PC, an upgrade to my last custom build, and it's an i7 860/4GB RAM/2TB beast :)  I'm running Windows 7 32 bit as well.

I have already been reading up all on things related to core parking and such; I believe that is all taken care of.  I took care of everything in the BIOS and all seems well, for the most part.

Basically, my problem is...I spent all this money on a new PC and I'm still getting clicks/pop/dropouts in SONAR running certain soft synths.  Yes, I know that they are CPU intensive, but my actual All_CPU gadget shows literally 3-5% load when SONAR is showing up to 55% at times!  How can I balance this out?  The point of getting this new PC was to finally get to use synths I wanted :(

Now, I managed to get dropouts gone for the most part, but often times as I said, my actual i7 CPU is at 4% and SONAR is at 45%.  I get massive clicks/pops at 45% CPU in SONAR, but yet my CPU itself is laughing and barely breaking a sweat.

At first I thought it was a synth-problem, such as poor coding or whatever - it happens, I know.  But 4 or 5 synths now have this problem, and I have no idea what is going on.  I've test Rhino2, Largo, polyKB, and even Zebra2. 

I know that my sound card works fine as well, I'm using the AP192 which works flawlessly on all applications.  I've played with the buffers on the settings as well, maxxing it out to like 4096 samples!  Still....at 40-50% CPU in SONAR, major cracks and pops.

Can someone tell me why my actual i7 is barely working at ALL (4-5%) load, but in SONAR it's about to crumble running just one of those soft synths? :( Please tell me what I can do to make my SONAR CPU low like my i7 CPU.  It's very frustrating.

In Reaper 3, the CPU for all the synths I mentioned stay at around 4-6% CPU (in DAW)....which basically matches my actual i7 CPU readout, although I know they are technically measuring "different" types of CPU, so to speak....but still.  In Reaper, I actually load one instance of each of the synths above (combined), and the CPU total was about 10%.  That same combination of synths/polyphony brought SONAR up to 67% CPU.  What's going on here?  Am I missing a setting?  Surely this can't be only me...If you would like screenshots, let me know...if its easier to help.

Why does SONAR have a 30-40% increase of CPU per synth, in this case?  And, of course, I prefer to work in SONAR because that's what I've been using for years now...but, this is very concerning.  Can someone tell me how I can get SONAR to respond more efficiently to CPU/soft synth usage?  Thanks :)

Thank you so much everyone....
post edited by benjamincharles - 2010/08/05 09:45:46

Basic info: Win7 32 bit, Sonar 8.5 PE, MaxMSP 5, MOTIF6,
EMU Proteus 1/2/3, ADAM A7, DAC1, Alphatrack

259 Replies Related Threads

John
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 30467
    Re:Problem with the SONAR CPU meter please...? 2010/08/05 09:50:47 (permalink)
    The below may be of some help. It is from Noel.

Improved Multi-Core load balancing

SONAR has supported scalable load balancing for multi-core computers since SONAR 3. In 8.3 we spent some time researching different techniques to improve our task scheduler (the internal component that distributes the project workload across multiple threads). The new scheduler mechanism allows for a more even load across all cores on a multi-core system. Not only that but the new mechanism consumes less CPU and is more power efficient. We haven't measured this yet but it should actually consume less battery resources on a notebook than SONAR 8.0.2! SONAR goes environment friendly :-)

Since all systems are not made equal we decided to make this new scheduling mode configurable 
    From the help file, the new aud.ini option to control this is:

ThreadSchedulingModel=<0 - 2>
    Type Integer
    Default 1

This variable goes in the [Wave] section and controls the interaction of the main audio thread and worker threads on multiprocessor systems when the Use Multiprocessing Engine option is enabled. Depending on the system, a particular model may result in less glitching and better overall performance. The values are as follows:
    0 = Same as previous versions of SONAR.
    1 = (default) Better thread balance. Model is more efficient and can provide cycles for other tasks.
    2 = Additional worker thread is created. This may result in improvement with Quad processor systems or higher. Not recommended for Dual processor systems.

Best
    John
    benjamincharles
    Re:Problem with the SONAR CPU meter please...? 2010/08/05 09:55:31 (permalink)
    Thanks for your reply...

This is Absynth + polyKB combined polyphony 32 voices...pedal left down,me just pounding on the keys randomly to build voices....in Reaper.
    No FX.

SONAR should have a more comprehensive performance meter, imo.

This is just ONE of those synths in SONAR 8.5.3.

Clearly, SONAR has the issue.  Which is fine, I just want to know how to fix it :)
    (Because I really love SONAR - it's the most powerful DAW I've ever used for MIDI manipulation and VST FX). 

I tried fixing the AUD file for both CPU meter/dropouts and threading...

Anything else you think maybe would work?  :\
    I can't be the only person who has CPU problems in SONAR...in this fashion....I'm not that special ;p

Thanks again for your help!

post edited by benjamincharles - 2010/08/05 10:00:21

John
    Forum Host
    Re:Problem with the SONAR CPU meter please...? 2010/08/05 10:01:49 (permalink)
    It does have a good CPU meter by using the large transport F4.

Best
    John
    tarsier
    Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3029
    Re:Problem with the SONAR CPU meter please...? 2010/08/05 10:05:13 (permalink)
    Can someone tell me why my actual i7 is barely working at ALL (4-5%) load, but in SONAR it's about to crumble running just one of those soft synths? :( Please tell me what I can do to make my SONAR CPU low like my i7 CPU.

Sonar's CPU meter measures the time it takes for it to process an audio buffer relative to the length of time of that buffer. So if the buffer represents 4ms of time, and Sonar takes 4 ms to process that buffer then its CPU meter will show 100%. It's a more useful measurement than raw CPU usage (which is what those other CPU meters show) since if it takes longer to process a buffer than the amount of audio that the buffer represents then you'll get a dropout.

So the real question is what is holding up your processing? Run the DPC latency checker and find out how long your computer is taking when just taking care of business. If the DPC latency checker is spiking then you've got more hardware and driver issues to sort out.

benjamincharles
    Re:Problem with the SONAR CPU meter please...? 2010/08/05 10:15:43 (permalink)
    I know about the F4 bar, but I just feel like the Reaper performance meter is more useful and comprehensive....

Just my take.

I've run the DPC several times - absolutely no red flags.  That's what makes me so frustrated.

I promise me - I wouldn't have posted here unless I was ripping my hair out :( I've done everything I thought possible.  How in the world can it be that Reaper has that much over CPU in regards to CPU....

I don't want to leave SONAR...honestly, but I feel this needs to be addressed.  The proof is in the pudding.  I've been with SONAR since v4.

But:
    Same PC, same VSTi and FX.  Same applications running in background.  Same MIDI chords played on a track = Reaper CPU 6% SONAR 60%.  It's crippling my workflow as a composer....I'm sure it's a setting but I don't know if it's a user setting or in the coding....

Tarsier:
    What would you suggest if the DPC comes back without spikes?

Thanks!

Kalle Rantaaho
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7005
    Re:Problem with the SONAR CPU meter please...? 2010/08/05 10:20:01 (permalink)
    I hope you get the situation solved. It seems to be quite common, that SONAR requires a little "personal tweaking" in situations when many other DAWs run smoothly. The price of power? I don't know.

I just wanted to make a remark concerning you new PC. You would have been better off, performance- and back up-wise, with two or three smaller HDDs than one gigantic one. It's always recommended to have your OS and programs on one disc, and projects, audio libraries etc. on another.

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
    The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
    John
    Forum Host
    Re:Problem with the SONAR CPU meter please...? 2010/08/05 10:22:13 (permalink)
    I think its important to know how the Reaper meter works to make any comparison. As Tasier says we know how the Sonar CPU meter works. I don't have any idea how the Reaper meter works. 

Best
    John
    Mix Master
    • Total Posts : 71
    Re:Problem with the SONAR CPU meter please...? 2010/08/05 10:24:26 (permalink)
    So in other words, it's better to have your OS on lets say your internal HDD, and then have your DAW, projects, and audio files on an external HDD?

Mix Master
    Sijel
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 487
    Re:Problem with the SONAR CPU meter please...? 2010/08/05 10:26:00 (permalink)
    Can you provide some more technical details on your drivers and settings?
    Are you using the latest M-Audio drivers (or a beta driver)?  Are you using ASIO or something else - and what are your buffer settings, etc.?

Microsoft Surface Book w/ Surface dock, dual 24-inch HD displays,
    Sonar Platinum, THD 4, GuitarRig, Amplitube, (Kontakt4), Garritan PO, Trillian Bass 1.3,  Roland Octa-Capture, Waves Gold & various Waves, PSP and T-Racks plugins.

KRK Rokit6, Lefty Guitars & Bass, racks/pedals galore and many other fun things.
    Kalle Rantaaho
    Re:Problem with the SONAR CPU meter please...? 2010/08/05 10:29:21 (permalink)
    I think you should compare the CPU activity in Task Manager. Then you'd get figures you can compare. As Tarsier clearly explained, if Reaper is showing the total CPU activity and Sonar the "relative buffer-run" speed, the comparison is worthless.

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
    The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
    John
    Forum Host
    Re:Problem with the SONAR CPU meter please...? 2010/08/05 10:30:00 (permalink)
    So in other words, it's better to have your OS on lets say your internal HDD, and then have your DAW, projects, and audio files on an external HDD?
    Most Sonar users here do just that and put samples on a third drive.

Best
    John
    benjamincharles
    Re:Problem with the SONAR CPU meter please...? 2010/08/05 10:31:23 (permalink)
    Kalle Rantaaho

I hope you get the situation solved. It seems to be quite common, that SONAR requires a little "personal tweaking" in situations when many other DAWs run smoothly. The price of power? I don't know.

I just wanted to make a remark concerning you new PC. You would have been better off, performance- and back up-wise, with two or three smaller HDDs than one gigantic one. It's always recommended to have your OS and programs on one disc, and projects, audio libraries etc. on another.

I was not clear in my post - apologies.  I have two 1TB drives.  One is separate for audio files/projects.  The other HD is for my OS and backup partitions, etc.

I am using the latest AP192 drives yes, Win7 beta (but that's the only choice).  It's rock solid on Sibelius, Sound Forge, etc. - It's been fine up until SONAR 8.5.3.

I've played around with all buffer settings....tried everything I could think of.

Thanks everyone!

benjamincharles
    Re:Problem with the SONAR CPU meter please...? 2010/08/05 10:33:14 (permalink)
    Kalle Rantaaho

I think you should compare the CPU activity in Task Manager. Then you'd get figures you can compare. As Tarsier clearly explained, if Reaper is showing the total CPU activity and Sonar the "relative buffer-run" speed, the comparison is worthless.

True, but I concede:

Let's say it is worthless to compare.  The proof still exists that this problem is only occurring in SONAR 8.5.3 - and nowhere else.

There are zero artifacts in Reaper, no glitching or anything.  So, even if Reaper 3 said 80% CPU for my 2 synths....still, I wouldn't "care" - per say, because I'm not experiencing any glitches....

Hopefully I can figure this out ;\

Thanks for your help and patience everyone...you're a lifesaver....

Kalle Rantaaho
    Re:Problem with the SONAR CPU meter please...? 2010/08/05 10:33:39 (permalink)
    Mix Master

Mix Master

No, it doesn't need to be external, but a separate HDD. They can all be internal (which is recommendable). Programs should be on the same HD as the OS, AFAIK. Installing can get tricky, if you want to spread them around. There are so many things the installers do as default.

Mix Master
    • Total Posts : 71
    Re:Problem with the SONAR CPU meter please...? 2010/08/05 10:38:36 (permalink)
    Kalle Rantaaho

Mix Master

Mix Master

No, it doesn't need to be external, but a separate HDD. They can all be internal (which is recommendable). Programs should be on the same HD as the OS, AFAIK. Installing can get tricky, if you want to spread them around. There are so many things the installers do as default.

Well the reason that I referenced an external HDD is because I am using a laptop to run Sonar. 
    Kalle Rantaaho
    Re:Problem with the SONAR CPU meter please...? 2010/08/05 10:40:49 (permalink)
    benjamincharles

Kalle Rantaaho

True, but I concede:

Let's say it is worthless to compare.  The proof still exists that this problem is only occurring in SONAR 8.5.3 - and nowhere else.

There are zero artifacts in Reaper, no glitching or anything.  So, even if Reaper 3 said 80% CPU for my 2 synths....still, I wouldn't "care" - per say, because I'm not experiencing any glitches....

Hopefully I can figure this out ;\

Thanks for your help and patience everyone...you're a lifesaver....

I agree, but being able to compare the actual CPU activity would help us to decide whether this has got anything to do with CPU. It's not at all clear that CPU has got something to do with this problem.

I do think, though, that the CPU readings you get in SONAR seem to be strangely high. You didn't mention which buffers you have been tweaking.
    The way the Sonar CPU meter works could mean the high figures are due to some buffers, latency settings or something like that anyway.

benjamincharles
    Re:Problem with the SONAR CPU meter please...? 2010/08/05 10:54:51 (permalink)
    Hmm...well, I have been a SONAR user for several versions now, and proud to say that I 'thought' I was a power user by now ;)

I am a working composer for film/stage, and this sorta thing really came outta the blue with SONAR 8.5 - then I saw threads on the i7, threading, CPU, etc.

And now here I am.

I changed/tested as much as I could in the AUD.ini file, I've tweaked BIOS plenty, I've played with my sound card buffers/sample, CPU's cache (long shot), etc.

Perhaps I missed something, but I don't think so.  I believe it's either:
    A) Out of my control and is indeed an issue with SONAR itself in general
    or
    B) Some combination of settings in SONAR that I don't know of...

Perhaps I am wrong about what the reaper CPU/performance meter indicates.  Perhaps not though.  All I know is I can run 2 instances of Absynth5, 1 Rhino, and 1 Largo in Reaper and have 12% CPU...no glitching, at 256 samples with my sound card.

SONAR actually locks up briefly and glitches with just Absynth and Rhino - total polyphony = 32 voices for both DAWs.

:\  Thanks guys...I appreciate the help...but I'm really pulling my hair out here.

What settings would you adjust if you were me, and in what order of trial and error?

benjamincharles
    Re:Problem with the SONAR CPU meter please...? 2010/08/05 11:41:43 (permalink)
    I just rewatched my Groove3 Tutorial Videos on Reaper's CPU/Performance meter....I believe I am interpreting everything correctly, fwiw....but I'm not 100%

Chregg
    Max Output Level: -51.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2382
    Re:Problem with the SONAR CPU meter please...? 2010/08/05 11:57:30 (permalink)
    I just erased the registry files for core parking in regedit and went into aud .ini. and set the thread model to 2, now i get no spiking when i re-wire reasn , all my core balance nice, try that benjamincharles
    benjamincharles
    Re:Problem with the SONAR CPU meter please...? 2010/08/05 12:33:16 (permalink)
    My parameter is at 2 in the .ini file....I've tried the default as well....

I never get spiking with ReWire, but I'm glad it is working for you :)

I still can't figure this out.  SONAR has got to be adjusted to be more CPU efficient...overall, though I still love the DAW.

But if I can run literally 3x the amount of soft synths in Reaper than in SONAR, that should mean something.  Either I'm missing a setting, or SONAR itself lacks the setting...

Perhaps SONAR 9 will be more CPU efficient?

progtronic
    • Total Posts : 75
    Re:Problem with the SONAR CPU meter please...? 2010/08/05 13:15:56 (permalink)
    I'm using an i7-960, and noticed this as well. running sonar 64bit.

tried changing the ini file.. but can't seem to make the changes stick. always defaults back to 1.

anyway.. with everything at default, sonar idles at around 30% on my system, with 5 to 10 vst's loaded up.

playing stacks of stuff pushes sonars cpu indicator to around 50 to 60%.. which seems to be about maximum. I rarely see it spike beyond that, no matter how much more I throw at it.

I get a few crackles once in a while, but no dropouts.. nothing as severe as you're experiencing.

again, this is a pretty stock sonar install. just tweaked a few things in audio/asio options and added a couple midi devices.

http://www.progtronic.com/

Cakewalk SONAR Producer
    Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
    ASUS P6X58D Premium, Intel Core i7-960, Crucial 12GB SDRAM DDR3 1333
    2 x Crucial 64GB RealSSD C300, 2 x WD Caviar Black 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB
    ASUS GeForce GT 240
    Cooler Master; HAF 932, GeminII S. Corsair HX 750W
    Cakewalk; A-500S, UA-25EX. 2 x KRK Rokit 8, Sennheiser HD 280 Pro
    benjamincharles
    Re:Problem with the SONAR CPU meter please...? 2010/08/05 13:21:44 (permalink)
    Yea...I wish mine was 'just' that....

The Reaper CPU is really looking to be the 'same' CPU concept as SONAR....the Reaper Performance meter never has aligned with my All-CPU i7 gadget usage meter....they are not one in the same, almost positive on it.

I hope SONAR can tweak this soon :(  For us heavy MIDI/VSTi users...it's a dealbreaker....

Get this:

Rhino2 Vsti - one instance in Reaper3 - 32 voice polyphony - pedal down, random blur of huge chords....etc.
    CPU = 5%

Rhino2 Vsti - one instance in SONAR - 32 voice polyphony - pedal down, random blur of huge chords....etc.
    CPU = 65%

Absolutely not cool.  I did this test on the "Harp Strings" preset, for those following along.  I also did these tests on the other synths as well...even Rapture....I tested 15 synths....from all different companies.....ugh...

It is a SONAR issue.....
    But what setting can fix it, if it can be fixed at all?  If it can't, this is seriously a concern of mine.  This is honestly the one and only complaint I have ever had with SONAR.

post edited by benjamincharles - 2010/08/05 13:26:31

Chregg
    Max Output Level: -51.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2382
    Re:Problem with the SONAR CPU meter please...? 2010/08/05 13:40:31 (permalink)
    progtronic when you save the aud ini reload the config and it will come up 2
    progtronic
    • Total Posts : 75
    Re:Problem with the SONAR CPU meter please...? 2010/08/05 14:04:23 (permalink)
    Chregg

progtronic when you save the aud ini reload the config and it will come up 2

yep. that worked. 

ty.  
    post edited by progtronic - 2010/08/05 14:05:54

http://www.progtronic.com/

Cakewalk SONAR Producer
    Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
    ASUS P6X58D Premium, Intel Core i7-960, Crucial 12GB SDRAM DDR3 1333
    2 x Crucial 64GB RealSSD C300, 2 x WD Caviar Black 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB
    ASUS GeForce GT 240
    Cooler Master; HAF 932, GeminII S. Corsair HX 750W
    Cakewalk; A-500S, UA-25EX. 2 x KRK Rokit 8, Sennheiser HD 280 Pro
    acoustic12
    • Total Posts : 51
    Re:Problem with the SONAR CPU meter please...? 2010/08/05 15:41:59 (permalink)
    tarsier

So the real question is what is holding up your processing? 

Nothing is holding his processing- he said his CPU is running at 3-5%. The question is what is holding SONAR from utilizing CPU power that the user paid for!

Win7 64bit, Sonar PE 8.5.3, V-Studio 100, Cakewalk A800pro
    benjamincharles
    Re:Problem with the SONAR CPU meter please...? 2010/08/05 15:53:46 (permalink)
    Indeed.  I can confirm now that all "problem" soft synths in SONAR work 1000% flawlessly in Reaper3.

NI Massive - max polyphony, Rhino2, Rapture, even StylusRMX....all peak at around 8% in Reaper combined.

In SONAR, just Massive alone spikes at 60% CPU :(

Kalle Rantaaho
    Re:Problem with the SONAR CPU meter please...? 2010/08/05 16:25:51 (permalink)
    I still feel it's necessary to repeat that the CPU readings should be taken from Task Manager, not from the DAW in question.

"Rhino2 Vsti - one instance in Reaper3 - 32 voice polyphony - pedal down, random blur of huge chords....etc.
    CPU = 5%

Rhino2 Vsti - one instance in SONAR - 32 voice polyphony - pedal down, random blur of huge chords....etc.
    CPU = 65%"

That's useless info if the readings are results of two totally diffrent ways of defining the CPU usage (referring to post # 5 by Tarsier).

If the DAWs define the CPU readings differently, those comparisons don't tell you anything, but may be misleading instead. If the figures are similar in Task Manager, then you're on the track of something.

The answer surely lies inside Sonar, as you keep saying, but IMO as long as the CPU readings are not comparable, we don't know if the CPU-usage is the only culprit.

I'm only an occasional Sonar user. I believe you have much more DAW experience and knowledge than I have, but still...

jasonthurley
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 264
    Re:Problem with the SONAR CPU meter please...? 2010/08/05 16:53:15 (permalink)
    I believe the point is that the Sonar is not functioning to the performance of other audio software.  So simply this CPU usage and meter debate is worthless...... who cares what it reads if it doesn't work.... and another option does.

3 questions....

1. Do you have driver sharing selected under Options-Project (I think... Sonar is at home I use Pro Tools/Sound Forge at work)

2. What is your "audio" buffer set at (MIDI still has to trigger the samples that are audio) sometimes if the buffer is too much MIDI drops out, too little it won't process it all in time and you won't hear some notes, or anything if too bad.

3. What happens if you switch Sonar from 64 bit engine to 32?
    benjamincharles
    Re:Problem with the SONAR CPU meter please...? 2010/08/05 17:16:16 (permalink)
    Kalle Rantaaho
    I still feel it's necessary to repeat that the CPU readings should be taken from Task Manager, not from the DAW in question.

"Rhino2 Vsti - one instance in Reaper3 - 32 voice polyphony - pedal down, random blur of huge chords....etc.
    CPU = 5%

CPU = 65%"

That's useless info if the readings are results of two totally diffrent ways of defining the CPU usage (referring to post # 5 by Tarsier).

If the DAWs define the CPU readings differently, those comparisons don't tell you anything, but may be misleading instead. If the figures are similar in Task Manager, then you're on the track of something.

The answer surely lies inside Sonar, as you keep saying, but IMO as long as the CPU readings are not comparable, we don't know if the CPU-usage is the only culprit.

I'm only an occasional Sonar user. I believe you have much more DAW experience and knowledge than I have, but still...

---

Hi there...

I already mentioned that above in my previous posts.  My All_CPU gadget meter is directly tied to the Task Manager.  I've monitored both - they are almost identical.  So, hope that clears that up for you.
      My "Task Manager" CPU that you are asking about never peaks high - ever.  It barely moves.  That's the constant.  My i7 is working flawlessly, with all applications - audio or otherwise.

I believe I am on track with something.

-----

Jason:
    1) I have tried both selected/un-selected.  Similiar-near identical results.
    2) I have tried all the buffer choices on both my AP192 PCI sound card (up to it's max 4096 samples/buffer) - all for audio - I even also tried adjusting my SONAR Playback/Record I/O buffers from anywhere between: 256-4096 as well.  Nothing is changing anything to do with CPU, sadly.  Trust me....I've tried that :(
    3) Nothing.  Both are equally as unstable and glitchy.

What would you do, if you were me? :(

(Sorry I had to bold my response, I couldnt figure out how to separate my response from the quote italics....??)

post edited by benjamincharles - 2010/08/05 17:18:36

Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 9
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1