Helpful ReplyCore Parking

Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 6
Author
Kreative
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 570
2012/07/30 23:35:30 (permalink)

Core Parking

I know I've seen talk of this before, and I'm wondering how and if core parking effects my laptop performance. It presently appears to be enabled as I've been watching the CPU resource monitor to evaluate my current situation to decide if I need to get a new system or can tweak this one better, somehow, to maximize performance[some of that already having been done].

Windows 7 64 bit, Sony Vaio Laptop Q740, 8 GB, Sonar Producer X1d, Focusrite Scarlett 18i, Korg Pa500, M-audio 61 Radium Keystation. Using Omnisphere, Trilian, Komplete 8, Morphestra, Orchestral Essentials, Evolve, Orange Tree Guitars, Addictive Drums, BFD2, Melodyne Editor, Studio One 2, Ozone 5, FabFilter.
Kreative
Re:Core Parking 2012/07/30 23:53:40 (permalink)
I found an older post on this very topic:  http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.aspx?m=1861804

Anybody here with an i7 laptop using core parking turned off? It appears to be for better battery management, but does it also cause temperature changes and overheating perhaps?

Windows 7 64 bit, Sony Vaio Laptop Q740, 8 GB, Sonar Producer X1d, Focusrite Scarlett 18i, Korg Pa500, M-audio 61 Radium Keystation. Using Omnisphere, Trilian, Komplete 8, Morphestra, Orchestral Essentials, Evolve, Orange Tree Guitars, Addictive Drums, BFD2, Melodyne Editor, Studio One 2, Ozone 5, FabFilter.
Kreative
Re:Core Parking 2012/07/31 00:00:30 (permalink)
Here is a simple but effective method for enabling all cores at all times: http://engrjpo.wordpress.com/2011/05/08/disable-cpu-core-parking/

Kreative
Re:Core Parking 2012/07/31 00:06:08 (permalink)
The question remains as to how much, or if disabling core parking is beneficial with a laptop that isn't running on battery power. I'm trying to get some definitive answers from DAW power users.

jcschild
Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3409
Re:Core Parking 2012/07/31 09:26:03 (permalink)
do not do it period.. its old and pointless now especially on a laptop
turn off the acpi battery...

Scott
ADK
Home of the Kentucky Fried DAW!
Jonbouy
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 22562
Re:Core Parking 2012/07/31 09:35:39 (permalink)
Kreative

The question remains as to how much, or if disabling core parking is beneficial with a laptop that isn't running on battery power. I'm trying to get some definitive answers from DAW power users.

I tested all this kind of tweaking when there was some heated debate going round whether it was worthwhile on older i7 chips.  I don't know even if there was any benefit there  but since I've been running a 2nd Generation i7 Sandy bridge chip I concluded there is nothing to be gained except higher temperatures and brain ache.

I run with a 64 samples buffer all day long without pops or glitches and power to burn so I figured why bother.  All my system power settings are the BIOS (optimised/turbo) defaults with only slight tweaks to the Windows High Performance power settings to prevent stuff like USB from auto-sleeping.
post edited by Jonbouy - 2012/07/31 09:46:59

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
Kreative
Re:Core Parking 2012/07/31 15:27:04 (permalink)
Thanks for your input. it was a heated debate that seemed to go 'round in circles. I found that I eliminated some of my audio and resource headaches by reducing some background tasks that were giving me intermittent glitches. I might benefit from a second or third gen chipset, but for now have what I have to work with.

jm24
Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2127
Re:Core Parking 2012/08/15 11:24:25 (permalink)
Two issues: rise time, thread allocation

Most users will never notice the need for these two issues to be addressed. Except when they interfere with a specific demanding task.

Because of the speed of current computers users are usually not aware of all the auto updates, and little wait times. Consequently the comments about doing no tweaking with w7.

But, I surmise those who do no tweaking are also the ones who experience drop-outs, stutters, clicks,... Especially when working with large projects.

And they then complain that Sonar,...  is to blame when really it is the auto-defrag , updates for windows, adobe, java, AV,.... that they refuse to disable.

I am an old dude. My approach is to wring every last bit of performance from the box before I replace any componant.

And I do not want the defragger starting and interferring with my happiness.

slartabartfast
Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5289
Re:Core Parking 2012/08/15 16:28:40 (permalink)
So we have a consensus on core parking. Not a problem.

Is there agreement on disabling TurboBoost?
Freddie H
Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3617
Re:Core Parking 2012/08/16 02:16:38 (permalink)
jcschild

Why do you say we shouldn't turn off the core parking on desktop workstations?

-Highly developed spirits often encounter resistance from mediocre minds. -It really matters!
Jonbouy
Re:Core Parking 2012/08/16 10:23:46 (permalink)
slartabartfast

So we have a consensus on core parking. Not a problem.

Is there agreement on disabling TurboBoost?

I'm not sure either.

I use an H67 board so I have no means of over clocking so I'm basically running happily at stock speeds and there is therefore some benefit in performance to be had in having it enabled.

Whether that is the case if you are over clocking I am unable to test or ascertain.  So I'd suspect it would be dependant on your setup to some degree.

Jonbouy
Re:Core Parking 2012/08/16 10:25:51 (permalink)
Freddie H

jcschild

He says in the quote it's old and pointless as far as I can see.

I agree.

Freddie H
Re:Core Parking 2012/08/16 11:09:50 (permalink)
Jonbouy

Freddie H

jcschild

I agree.

Old or not its sill a huge difference in performance ON or OFF. I have it disabled! I don't use and you shouldn't use SpeedStep, C-State either. Full POWER no eco b-ulls-h-i-t- mode. No ECO on graphic card either! That is the default setting for any computer!

My two cents 
post edited by Freddie H - 2012/08/16 11:12:09

-Highly developed spirits often encounter resistance from mediocre minds. -It really matters!
Jonbouy
Re:Core Parking 2012/08/16 11:43:53 (permalink)
Freddie H

Jonbouy

Freddie H

jcschild

I agree.

Old or not its sill a huge difference in performance ON or OFF. I have it disabled! I don't use and you shouldn't use SpeedStep, C-State either. Full POWER no eco b-ulls-h-i-t- mode. No ECO on graphic card either! That is the default setting for any computer!

My two cents 

I've tested at this end, and the only benefit I got was more pops and clicks along with higher CPU temps and increased fan noise as a result with no discernable performance improvements at all.

What can I say?

Alegria
Max Output Level: -54.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2075
Re:Core Parking 2012/08/16 12:20:00 (permalink)
"Freddie H"
Old or not its sill a huge difference in performance ON or OFF. I have it disabled! I don't use and you shouldn't use SpeedStep, C-State either. Full POWER no eco b-ulls-h-i-t- mode. No ECO on graphic card either!

I agree (dedicated desktop DAWs only).

"Jonbouy"
I've tested at this end, and the only benefit I got was more pops and clicks along with higher CPU temps and increased fan noise as a result with no discernable performance improvements at all.

I believe it's very important to make a distinction between laptops and desktops. Core parking on laptops is needed to help manage heat. I wouldn't mess with it (unless I didn't care about the life span/longevity of important components). But when talking about desktops (dedicated and properly cooled), then all bets are off. I'm a tweaker, and I tweaked the heck out of my DAW, right down to background processes. The benefits are undeniable and I would go so far as to wonder what happened in your case?
Jim Roseberry
  • Total Posts : 9871
Re:Core Parking 2012/08/16 14:40:03 (permalink)
For maximum DAW performance:
We don't want the OS/hardware having the ability to "throttle down" speed/performance to save energy.
We don't want the PC "tied up" managing non-essential tasks.

Depending on circumstances, you may "get by" without any tweaks.
For absolute maximum performance (especially when running heavy loads at ultra-low latency settings), tweaks are necessary.

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
jim@studiocat.com
www.studiocat.com
jcschild
Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3409
Re:Core Parking 2012/08/16 14:50:57 (permalink)
Freddie,
got news for you all that is OLD OLD OLD and not to be done now...

Scott
ADK
Home of the Kentucky Fried DAW!
Jonbouy
Re:Core Parking 2012/08/16 21:38:55 (permalink)
Alegria

"Freddie H"

Old or not its sill a huge difference in performance ON or OFF. I have it disabled! I don't use and you shouldn't use SpeedStep, C-State either. Full POWER no eco b-ulls-h-i-t- mode. No ECO on graphic card either!

I agree (dedicated desktop DAWs only).

"Jonbouy"

I believe it's very important to make a distinction between laptops and desktops. Core parking on laptops is needed to help manage heat. I wouldn't mess with it (unless I didn't care about the life span/longevity of important components). But when talking about desktops (dedicated and properly cooled), then all bets are off. I'm a tweaker, and I tweaked the heck out of my DAW, right down to background processes. The benefits are undeniable and I would go so far as to wonder what happened in your case?

Sorry, read up, the thread was about core parking, the clue is in the title, that's what I'm referring to, I've tweaked for sure, but only where there is a benefit.  Disabling core parking isn't an area that provided any.
post edited by Jonbouy - 2012/08/16 21:53:18

Jonbouy
Re:Core Parking 2012/08/16 21:41:52 (permalink)
Jim Roseberry

We don't want the OS/hardware having the ability to "throttle down" speed/performance to save energy.

This ^^^^

I run 64 samples buffer all day long easily even with the biggest loads I ever get up to.  No glitches, no pops, no crashes and a clean error log and power to burn.

I'm not bothered what anyone else does but I love my setup as it is.

Freddie, Alegria please show me where I've got it all wrong?  I'm all ears.
post edited by Jonbouy - 2012/08/16 21:54:31

Alegria
Re:Core Parking 2012/08/17 12:48:50 (permalink)
"Jonbouy"
Sorry, read up, the thread was about core parking, the clue is in the title, that's what I'm referring to

Excuse me? I may have thrown in a general comment in my reply, but the context was about core parking.

"Jonbouy"
I've tweaked for sure, but only where there is a benefit. Disabling core parking isn't an area that provided any.

Well then, the point is moot. And that was not my experience btw.

"Jonbouy"
"Jim Roseberry"

This ^^^^

I gather you agree with this (as do I). Then, what is your definition of core parking???

Jonbouy
Re:Core Parking 2012/08/17 13:12:10 (permalink)

I gather you agree with this (as do I). Then, what is your definition of core parking???

"Core parking is a new feature that Microsoft introduced in Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2. Depending on the resource use of the operating system it may park one or multiple cores of a multi-core cpu to reduce the computer’s power consumption and thermal emissions. Once operations require more processing power, the parked cores are activated again to assist in the tasks."

Surely you should already know this if you are tweaking it...

Do you also need info on Hyperthreading, EIST and C states while I'm about?
post edited by Jonbouy - 2012/08/17 13:15:55

Alegria
Re:Core Parking 2012/08/18 12:34:39 (permalink)
hehehe..., you're so cute. 
Freddie H
Re:Core Parking 2012/08/18 15:17:36 (permalink)
Jonbouy

"Core parking is a new feature that Microsoft introduced in Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2. Depending on the resource use of the operating system it may park one or multiple cores of a multi-core cpu to reduce the computer’s power consumption and thermal emissions. Once operations require more processing power, the parked cores are activated again to assist in the tasks."

Surely you should already know this if you are tweaking it...

Do you also need info on Hyperthreading, EIST and C states while I'm about?
You have answer it yourself there.

You don’t need to be rocket scientist to understand if you park something, shutting anything off, it will decrease the performance. Drive V8 engine on only 4 cylinders doesn’t exactly increase its performance. Even a child understands that.

When having C state, core parking or whatever activated makes very bad impact on any computers performance. As for an example what happens in DAW is that the core that is “park mode”, “C1 sleep” can’t wake up in time when you hit “play” when suddenly the computer needs all its CPU resources. C1 lower the CPU clock meaning slower performance.
One of the side effects that happen if you do have the core park, C1 sleep mode is that you get drop outs and clicks in the audio. Sometimes this can even cause blue screen death in rare cases.

Microsoft green eco movement politics infinitum madness!
I like to stop global warming, ecologic when it comes to food, light, lower gas on cars or whatever but not when it’s all about my work computer and performance in the studio. It is better they; Microsoft, Intel, Samsung and rest of companies focus on something’s else;----> lower overall power consumption instead of lower the overall performance of our system and CPU:s.

post edited by Freddie H - 2012/08/18 15:29:13

Jonbouy
Re:Core Parking 2012/08/18 21:03:36 (permalink)
Freddie H

You don’t need to be rocket scientist to understand if you park something, shutting anything off, it will decrease the performance. Drive V8 engine on only 4 cylinders doesn’t exactly increase its performance. Even a child understands that.

Freddie you are not even a child then, if an engine manufacturer could make a V8 use 4 cylinders when it's idling they would, it doesn't affect performance when the gas pedal is on the floor and all cylinders are delivering full power when needed.

When having C state, core parking or whatever activated makes very bad impact on any computers performance. As for an example what happens in DAW is that the core that is “park mode”, “C1 sleep” can’t wake up in time when you hit “play” when suddenly the computer needs all its CPU resources. C1 lower the CPU clock meaning slower performance.
One of the side effects that happen if you do have the core park, C1 sleep mode is that you get drop outs and clicks in the audio. Sometimes this can even cause blue screen death in rare cases.

If this is true why am I not getting blue screens pops and clicks when I press play?  I can run a 48 samples buffer under a reasonable load without glitching, I choose to run 64 samples and can live with the 7 ms RTL without having to change settings when I change from tracking to mixing.  What do I need to fix again? 

I like to stop global warming, ecologic when it comes to food, light, lower gas on cars or whatever but not when it’s all about my work computer and performance in the studio. It is better they; Microsoft, Intel, Samsung and rest of companies focus on something’s else;----> lower overall power consumption instead of lower the overall performance of our system and CPU:s.

Choosing the Windows 'High Performance' power plan effectively overides EIST anyway base a plan on that turning off all the going to sleep or hibernate nonsense and you've pretty much done all that's required.

Benchmark your CPU with Core Parking enabled/disabled, C1E (bios) on/off, and then SpeedStep on/off (you'll find that is overridden by the power plan anyway). 

Show us the different results in actual figures because here there isn't anything to support turning them off.  The only thing that would alarm me is from going from idle to full power if that was manifesting in glitches.  It doesn't.

Post #8 in this thread explains it well and highlights the more obvious areas of concern.  Some people are cranky enough to hack the registry to get the cores from parking but then install and run the ASUS AISuite, which is a far more evil performance killer than processor core wake times.  I hope you're not one of those Freddie!

One final note, just for kicks try benchmarking some stuff with hyperthreading turned off so you are restricted to just the 4 physical cores.  The results there might surprise you especiallly on stuff  that uses a lot of floating point calculations.

Me, I did all that at build time, now I'd just rather get on and enjoy using my machine.

post edited by Jonbouy - 2012/08/18 21:22:28

Goddard
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 338
Re:Core Parking 2012/08/18 21:34:50 (permalink)
Eek! This thread is getting too technical for me.

Hmm, "Core Eject", wonder what that button does...
post edited by Goddard - 2012/08/18 21:36:48
Jonbouy
Re:Core Parking 2012/08/18 21:36:44 (permalink)
Goddard

Eek! This thread is getting too technical for me! 

I doubt it.

More like you can't afford to expend the energy on a 10,000 word dissertation just now...

Goddard
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 338
Re:Core Parking 2012/08/18 21:42:05 (permalink)
Oh wait, I completely overlooked Windows "Core Audio" APIs...
Freddie H
Re:Core Parking 2012/08/19 06:01:16 (permalink)
Jonbouy

Freddie H

Freddie you are not even a child then, if an engine manufacturer could make a V8 use 4 cylinders when it's idling they would, it doesn't affect performance when the gas pedal is on the floor and all cylinders are delivering full power when needed.

If this is true why am I not getting blue screens pops and clicks when I press play?  I can run a 48 samples buffer under a reasonable load without glitching, I choose to run 64 samples and can live with the 7 ms RTL without having to change settings when I change from tracking to mixing.  What do I need to fix again? 

Choosing the Windows 'High Performance' power plan effectively overides EIST anyway base a plan on that turning off all the going to sleep or hibernate nonsense and you've pretty much done all that's required.

Benchmark your CPU with Core Parking enabled/disabled, C1E (bios) on/off, and then SpeedStep on/off (you'll find that is overridden by the power plan anyway). 

Show us the different results in actual figures because here there isn't anything to support turning them off.  The only thing that would alarm me is from going from idle to full power if that was manifesting in glitches.  It doesn't.

Post #8 in this thread explains it well and highlights the more obvious areas of concern.  Some people are cranky enough to hack the registry to get the cores from parking but then install and run the ASUS AISuite, which is a far more evil performance killer than processor core wake times.  I hope you're not one of those Freddie!

One final note, just for kicks try benchmarking some stuff with hyperthreading turned off so you are restricted to just the 4 physical cores.  The results there might surprise you especiallly on stuff  that uses a lot of floating point calculations.

Me, I did all that at build time, now I'd just rather get on and enjoy using my machine.

Whatever...You should try the opposite and activate the performance of your system.
What's next on your list that you try to convince us? A 32bit application can use more RAM then x64?

post edited by Freddie H - 2012/08/19 06:03:00

Jonbouy
Re:Core Parking 2012/08/19 06:34:28 (permalink)
You are not listening Freddie, like I said I've already tested thoroughly.

I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything just telling you straight my own findings on the subject, you are the one that goes around trying to convince people that BS is fact and what you say is what they shoud do remember?  Not me.

btw I'd recommend still using 32 bit versions rather than use bridging solutions unless your project does require the extra RAM.  I still see people putting up with countless issues caused by bridging when the project size doesn't even warrant opening a 64 bit project.  Go figure.

I do enjoy having the benefits of 64 bit though...
post edited by Jonbouy - 2012/08/19 06:41:04

Alegria
Re:Core Parking 2012/08/19 11:40:14 (permalink)
Out of curiosity Jon as I don't recall you mentioning it, is your system dedicated for audio only?
Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 6
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1