Sonar X2 Wish List

Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 9
Author
Mark D.
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 122
2010/11/22 22:34:03 (permalink)

Sonar X2 Wish List

Let me start this one. Four big things for me. I might post others, but I invite other users. Cakewalk folks, please take note.

1) When you open a song and a Plug-In or VSTi doesn't load for WHATEVER reason (new system, moved its folder & so on).
There may be cases where you have them installed, it's just not seeing them when you open old files from an old computer,
or in the same computer. In essence, these are cases where otherwise, in a new product, you can load the plug-in just fine.
Add a "Browse" button. You click it, find the file the missing .dll is in, and pick it. Sonar automatically will go there, next time.

2) Automated Solo. We can automate many things, such as mutes. But when we want to have just one track play alone for
a short duration of time (maybe a vocal, having everything else drop out) it's very complicated to do that now. You'll have to
either automate a mute, or volume change, or mute clips individually. If we could automate the track to solo-that's one step.

3) Add, alter multiple automations. Suppose you have a lot of clips, with a lot of automation, all in one track. Panning, gain,
or you want to add such automation to multiple clips, sometimes dozens or more, in one track, or even across several tracks.
You can move those clips to new tracks, and pan or change the gain on those, but that could be a lot of extra tracks. Or you
can add or change the automation on each clip, which can take a long time. Allow users to highlight all tracks they want that
automation to be added to or changed, then two right click menu options appear 'add automation' and 'change automation'.

This then brings up a box where the user can check off to add pan or gain or a box with the controls to change those things
on all of the clips highlighted, by a set amount. (Ie. move the gain up 2 db, all clips go up 2db, even if all clips are set to very
different volumes already). Maybe an additional set of controls to set them universally, regardless of how they are set now.

Meaning, the clips vary in gain settings from -3 to +5. Set them all to +2. Set them all to 50% L or 25% R (for panning). Etc.
This could be a huge time-saver on complicated tracks, with multiple takes, epsecially in situations like vocal comping edits.

4) More multi-track function changes.
I'll elaborate. Click the corner to change volume on all tracks, panning, etc. now. I'd
like to see things like adding a send (to the reverb bus, etc) added to that. If you have a lot of tracks that would save time.
post edited by Mark D. - 2010/12/06 17:04:40

240 Replies Related Threads

jamescollins
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 747
    Re:Sonar X2 Wish List 2010/11/23 02:02:26 (permalink)
    You can't be serious?! You haven't even got X1 yet!! Perhaps you're a beta tester?

I'll have three fingers of Glenlivet, with a little bit of pepper... and some cheese.

allthekingsmen.band
    jamescollinsmusic.com
    Lanceindastudio
    Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4604
    Re:Sonar X2 Wish List 2010/11/23 02:12:35 (permalink)
    Good stuff Mark ;)

Long live the WORKFLOW!!!

More synths is cute, but it aint FINE like a sweet sexy workflow enhancement ;)

Asus P8Z77-V LE PLUS Motherboard   
    i7 3770k CPU
    32 gigs RAM
    Presonus AudioBox iTwo
    Windows 10 64 bit, SONAR PLATINUM 64 bit
    Lots of plugins and softsynths and one shot samples, loops
    Gauge ECM-87, MCA SP-1, Alesis AM51
    Presonus Eureka
    Mackie HR824's and matching subwoofer
    noiseboy
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 419
    Re:Sonar X2 Wish List 2010/11/23 02:26:35 (permalink)
    *cough* better support for working to picture *cough*

Actually this is a feature request for X1.1....
    ...wicked
    Max Output Level: -1.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7360
    Re:Sonar X2 Wish List 2010/11/23 02:35:06 (permalink)
    Actually in all serious I hope after they give workflow the thorough re-vamping they're alleging with X1 that they turn their power towards the engine and all that entails (evolving audiosnap, varispeed, etc). X1 is what they needed to try and do though, and I'm looking forward to it.

===========
    The Fog People
    ===========

Intel i7-4790 
    16GB RAM
    ASUS Z97 
    Roland OctaCapture
    Win10/64   

SONAR Platinum 64-bit    
    billions VSTs, some of which work    
    alexisrael
    • Total Posts : 130
    Re:Sonar X2 Wish List 2010/11/23 02:47:54 (permalink)
    I many times wish I have envelop cloning feature.

I also unlike the dissapearence of an envelope with a deletion of a clip in a track.

I use separate project files for vocal sessions (recorded in Music Creator5 via an old computer, having vocal mix as WAV, with no VST load, but melody MIDI track running in a staff view), so, after rehearsal I take best take or two to a Sonar Producer for mixing project. Occasionally, I need to substitute the clip with another take. Should I do this on a track/vocal clip with automation, it gets lost.Yes, I could do it with bus automation, but my vocal track usually is cloned to three tracks from where it goes to three separate bus destination, including instruments' bus and premaster. So, preserving automation on clip delete would be important for me

Why I love Sonar?

http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.aspx?high=&m=2001059&mpage=1#2001998

No longer impressed by Alan Parsons/Led Zeppelin tone. With tools from Cakewalk I can make more impressive sound. Should I compete? No.
    A1MixMan
    Max Output Level: -58 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1706
    Re:Sonar X2 Wish List 2010/11/23 03:02:55 (permalink)
    My Sonar X2 wish list is for a free upgrade from Sonar X1!

A1
    gtgarner
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 895
    Re:Sonar X2 Wish List 2010/11/23 05:09:42 (permalink)
    I used to think that it was remotely possible but, 

It must be absolutely impossible to please everyone.  This thread proves it. 

------------------------

If an individual had everything they wanted.....then would be looking forward to the next version.
    tomas gato
    • Total Posts : 130
    Re:Sonar X2 Wish List 2010/11/23 05:41:40 (permalink)
    Don't worry

Be happy!!!

X1 will change.................everything.

Bapu said so

and I, for one

believe him
    Karyn
    Ma-Ma
    • Total Posts : 9200
    Re:Sonar X2 Wish List 2010/11/23 06:30:47 (permalink)
    The biggest upgrade I want for X2 is...

... to be charged the same as everyone else.

Mekashi Futo
    Get 10% off all Waves plugins.
    Current DAW.  i7-950, Gigabyte EX58-UD5, 12Gb RAM, 1Tb SSD, 2x2Tb HDD, nVidia GTX 260, Antec 1000W psu, Win7 64bit, Studio 192, Digimax FS, KRK RP8G2, Sonar Platinum

noiseboy
    Re:Sonar X2 Wish List 2010/11/23 06:30:49 (permalink)
    gtgarner

I used to think that it was remotely possible but, 

It must be absolutely impossible to please everyone.  This thread proves it. 

Good Lord, surely even X1's most ardent enthusiast won't consider that EVRERYONE's needs are met forevermore with X1?  X1 is 90% a snazzy new interface, that's it.  That leaves a huge amount of scope for improvement.  For some the shortcomings aren't an issue, for others they are a big deal.  Video, for me, is essential so needing to look beyond the launch version is also critically important.
    Bristol_Jonesey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 16775
    Re:Sonar X2 Wish List 2010/11/23 07:53:14 (permalink)
    I also unlike the dissapearence of an envelope with a deletion of a clip in a track.

This behaviour is consistent with simply using the delete key to remove a selected clip.

However, if you select a clip and hit Edit > Delete, you'll get a dialog box which allows you to uncheck automation, leaving your envelopes intract.

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    Crg
    • Total Posts : 7719
    Re:Sonar X2 Wish List 2010/11/23 07:55:08 (permalink)
    It's a little early for a X2 wish list. Don't ya think?

Craig DuBuc
    tyacko
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1190
    Re:Sonar X2 Wish List 2010/11/23 08:00:40 (permalink)
    Like wicked, I too would like to see varispeed as a feature for the next release.  I'm actually surprised this isn't yet a part of the software.

As for improved Video support, I think Roland/Cakewalk have to decide if they want to be in that part of the business or not.  It seems like they say they support Video, but seem to lack the real "must haves" to make it viable for most engineers that require video support.

Our SoundClick page

ASUS P9X79 PRO, Intel i7 3930K, 32gig RAM G.SKILL Ripjaws, RME Babyface USB, GeForce GTX 550 Ti, UAD-2, Intel 510 120gig SSD Drive, Win7 64-bit, Sonar X1E 64-bit, Studio One V2 
    gtgarner
    Re:Sonar X2 Wish List 2010/11/23 08:36:58 (permalink)
    I want the next version of Sonar to come wrapped with a convertable Porsche 911 Cabriolet.  Thats my feature request.

-----------

I know if I looked hard enough, I can find that lonely thread that thanks Cakewalk for their X1 efforts.
    LpMike75
    Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1621
    Re:Sonar X2 Wish List 2010/11/23 08:58:36 (permalink)
        Judging from some of the posts around here, it seems obvious the most sought after features that have NOT been touched in this version would be
    1) Enhanced tools for scoring to picture, (also see "Quicktime scoring blues" thread)
    2) Staff View updating
    ..in no particular order.
        The workflow thing was a huge deal for lots of people and they seemed to address that first, so hopefully after the release of X1 and the workflow thing 'out of the way', they can spend a little time with items #1 and 2.
        BTW, I was sold on the upgrade when I saw the multi-tool option!
    Anyways, back to the wish list, I would say items #1 and 2 would be at the top for many people and could potentially make a decent impact on sales.  

- Mike
    Sonar Platinum - M-Audio Profire 2626 , Pro Tools 11 HD Omni - PC I7 6850K - 64 G RAM - GeForce GTX 970
    http://www.soundcloud.com/michael-lizotte 
    Http://WWW.HomeRecordingWizard.Com
    HTTP://WWW.Facebook.com/HomeRecordingWizard
    Http://www.mjlmusic.com 
    Prunesquallor
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 20
    Re:Sonar X2 Wish List 2010/11/23 09:15:34 (permalink)
    Nah, items 1 & 2 may have some effect on sales, but not as much as really breaking into the electronic music production scene, especially in Europe.

I'm all for increased workflow and reliability, as well, and I hope that the Bakers don't think they've finished the job in those respects, but minor improvements in those areas won't be sexy enough to entice new buyers on their own.

Look out for more development on the Matrix/Beatscape side of things.
    gtgarner
    Re:Sonar X2 Wish List 2010/11/23 09:27:29 (permalink)
    Prunesquallor

Nah, items 1 & 2 may have some effect on sales,

Excellent Point.  Although I could whole heartedly agree that things like improved staff view would be an excellent thing to work on.....I wonder how much it would cost all of us in dollars.  If I had my druthers - I would suggest that Cakewalk fully do away with the Staff View and point all of their users to Finale or something like that. (kinda sounds like another popular DAW). 
    I would rather have Cakewalk focus on what they are good at (DAW) than Staff stuff.  I can purchase Finale (who is good at Staff stuff). 

That way I will have the absolute best of both worlds.
    noiseboy
    Re:Sonar X2 Wish List 2010/11/23 11:26:22 (permalink)
    I think the point about staff view (I'll leave it for others better explain it who are affected by it) is that it doesn't currently integrate well with 3rd party software such as Finale.

We're all guessing how much better video support would affect sales.  I've no idea what proportion of DAW users do need video at some point.  But I do think that that proportion is growing.

Anyway, the good news is that Cakewalk have said better video support IS a priority for them, but not in the initial release of X1.  Let's hope it comes sooner rather than later.
    gtgarner
    Re:Sonar X2 Wish List 2010/11/23 11:43:22 (permalink)
    noiseboy

I think the point about staff view (I'll leave it for others better explain it who are affected by it) is that it doesn't currently integrate well with 3rd party software such as Finale.

We're all guessing how much better video support would affect sales.  I've no idea what proportion of DAW users do need video at some point.  But I do think that that proportion is growing.

Anyway, the good news is that Cakewalk have said better video support IS a priority for them, but not in the initial release of X1.  Let's hope it comes sooner rather than later.

What do you guys think about this? 

I don't nor will EVER need video.  Could there possibly be a different version of Sonar that improves Video or Staff view?  That way I could stay on the latest version of Sonar without having to buy the video portion of Sonar. 

This is one of the primary reasons why I absolutely HATE all-in-one software.  There are already 3 versions of Cakewalk so I don't want to confuse the versions, but what would you guys think of a X1V  (X1 video) version or an X1SV (X1 staff and video) version along with the standard X1 producer/studio versions? 

In my estimation that would be a lot of useless work for a DAW maker.  Cakewalk is on the top of the charts because it does what it does - The best.  Lets not make suggestions that would jeopardize the success of SONAR as the best DAW -  for individual needs.

All-IN-ONE in my estimation leads to Mediocre-IN-Everything.   
    benstat
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 972
    Re:Sonar X2 Wish List 2010/11/23 11:49:21 (permalink)
    gtgarner

I agree with you about these particular two features. I don't want Sonar to be a 'Jack of all trades, master of none'.

My DAW: Intel i5, Cakewalk UA-1G, Win7 64 bit, SONAR X1a Producer 64 bit
    brundlefly
    • Total Posts : 14250
    Re:Sonar X2 Wish List 2010/11/23 12:07:13 (permalink)
    benstat

gtgarner

I agree with you about these particular two features. I don't want Sonar to be a 'Jack of all trades, master of none'.
    I agree to some extent, but I think there's room for improvement of video and notation support without SONAR becoming a full-fledged notation or post-production package.  A few key improvements in each area would be welcome.

LpMike75
    Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1621
    Re:Sonar X2 Wish List 2010/11/23 12:12:28 (permalink)
    That is where the DAW industry is headed.  From everything I have read, all of the top DAWs have decent scoring to video features AND they all record your audio and midi fine, as professional people use each one.  (DP, PT, Cubase,Logic). 

What would be the point in Cakewalk falling behind all of the top DAW in features?  (I'll point out these are features that already exist, just need some improvements)  From a business point of view it would make no sense to further restrict your customer base by taking out these features when they are standard with all of the other DAWs.

This would be like Ford saying, "yes I know all of the other car manufacturers are putting stereos in their cars, but dangit, we want to make great cars we dont care about stereos!"  It's one of those things that people have come to expect and desire in their professional DAW software....erm, video and staff view features, not stereos, just to be clear.

- Mike
    Sonar Platinum - M-Audio Profire 2626 , Pro Tools 11 HD Omni - PC I7 6850K - 64 G RAM - GeForce GTX 970
    http://www.soundcloud.com/michael-lizotte 
    Http://WWW.HomeRecordingWizard.Com
    HTTP://WWW.Facebook.com/HomeRecordingWizard
    Http://www.mjlmusic.com 
    gtgarner
    Re:Sonar X2 Wish List 2010/11/23 12:14:46 (permalink)
    Lastly, I  don't want the ADD-ON (video and staff) features to Cost me ANY extra in money or processing power.  
    I currently write code at my job for something else and I know that there is no process that is void of processing power.  I would TOTALLY give up on Sonar if my Audio Pluggins (DAW stuff) choke or belch on Sonar trying to keep up with a staff or video code running in the background.  

Now if Sonar decides to go with a Super Sonar version that "requires" dedicated hardware to run features (like ICON - which is in my studio) then fine....I'll splurge the 5K-150K for it.
    post edited by gtgarner - 2010/11/23 12:19:16
    Prunesquallor
    Re:Sonar X2 Wish List 2010/11/23 12:40:29 (permalink)
    Scoring and video are not where most DAWs are headed. Most DAWs are headed to being all-in-one compositional and recording solutions for the home musician.

I'm guessing Cakewalk want to increase sales as much as possible. Right now, they are underrepresented in electronic music production. To tap into that I think they'll develop Beatscape/Matrix (Beatrix?) before scoring and video facilities.

I'm sure they will improve scoring and video at some point, but I don't think they're priorities for most bedroom producers, the growth market IMHO.
    pbognar
    • Total Posts : 720
    Re:Sonar X2 Wish List 2010/11/23 15:15:51 (permalink)
    gtgarner

Lastly, I  don't want the ADD-ON (video and staff) features to Cost me ANY extra in money or processing power.  
    I currently write code at my job for something else and I know that there is no process that is void of processing power.  I would TOTALLY give up on Sonar if my Audio Pluggins (DAW stuff) choke or belch on Sonar trying to keep up with a staff or video code running in the background.  

Now if Sonar decides to go with a Super Sonar version that "requires" dedicated hardware to run features (like ICON - which is in my studio) then fine....I'll splurge the 5K-150K for it.
    Asking for new features in an unreleased application is one thing, but please don't request the removal of an existing feature which others actually use.

• If Sonar's staff view (even in its current state) were to be removed, I would switch to a different DAW app
    • Sonar's staff view is not using any processing power if you don't open it (the improved UI and and use of ProChannel on the other hand...)
    • There is a lot of electronic music being produced in Europe using the Apple DAW (which happens to have a great staff functionality)
    • DAW applications which already have adequate staff based editing will most likely not bloat themselves by implementing full fledged scoring capabilities - that is best left to scoring apps
    • Apps like Live, Acid, and Fruity Loops will probably never add staff editing, because they are targeted for a specific user base (the exception being Acoustica's MixCraft which added a staff editor in version 5)

Zo
    Max Output Level: -25 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5036
    Re:Sonar X2 Wish List 2010/11/23 15:58:01 (permalink)
    I want them to go full in the idea i dropped years ago about a channel strip :

THE abilty to choose the default channel strip plugin linked (by choosing the dll: Waves SSl , Duende SSl,Uad .....or the X1 one !!!

That would be awesome !!
    post edited by Zo - 2010/11/23 16:00:38

For sale  (PM me) : transfert ilok included
    Eventide Ultrachannel make offers
    Softube Summit EQ
    IK Neve 1081 , Neve precision Comp/Lim
    EastWest Goshtwriter
    Soundforge Pro 12

Prunesquallor
    Re:Sonar X2 Wish List 2010/11/23 16:09:59 (permalink)
    There is indeed a lot of electronic music being produced in Europe using Logic, but it has little to do with Logic's staff functionality. Most producers have no need for it. But I agree that removing existing staff features is not the way to go.

pbognar
    • Total Posts : 720
    Re:Sonar X2 Wish List 2010/11/23 16:30:11 (permalink)
    Prunesquallor

There is indeed a lot of electronic music being produced in Europe using Logic, but it has little to do with Logic's staff functionality. Most producers have no need for it. But I agree that removing existing staff features is not the way to go.

Sorry if I wasn't clear...  I was just making the point that the presence of a staff editor does not preclude the creation of electronic music.  I never meant to imply that those creating electronic music were actually using a staff editor. 
    noiseboy
    Re:Sonar X2 Wish List 2010/11/23 18:58:11 (permalink)
    Prunesquallor

Scoring and video are not where most DAWs are headed. Most DAWs are headed to being all-in-one compositional and recording solutions for the home musician.

I'm guessing Cakewalk want to increase sales as much as possible. Right now, they are underrepresented in electronic music production. To tap into that I think they'll develop Beatscape/Matrix (Beatrix?) before scoring and video facilities.

I'm sure they will improve scoring and video at some point, but I don't think they're priorities for most bedroom producers, the growth market IMHO.
    Well, pretty much every other DAW supports video to some extent - as does SONAR, of course.  So it would be bizarre to say the least if that support were withdrawn.  Those of us who do work with video just need a few basic enhancements really, to keep it in line with the other DAWs.  As a number of us have repeatedly said, we're not arguing for a full post-production powerhouse to take on Protools, just the basics done right.

Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 9
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1