A PLEA: To Cakewalk and staff.

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 10
Author
ba_midi
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14061
Re:A PLEA: To Cakewalk and staff. 2010/12/24 17:17:41 (permalink)
Scott Lee

Here is a video of another showstopper for me.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Dezacrator?feature=mhum#p/a/u/0/U4mdZLzXunE

Loadup I have access to bounce to clip, bounce to track, and export audio. As soon as I record anything, all these features become greyed out. happens everytime, every template, and even sometimes default greyed even on a straight bootup.

Best,

You're having too much fun, Scott lol.

I'm in the middle of putting my system back together after trying different audio/video drivers and going inside to check cables, etc.

Oy.  Ugh.  Sigh. 

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

http://www.ba-midi.com/music/files
Music gives me life, so I give life Music.
Thanks for listening - Let's Dance to the rhythm of life! :)
ba_midi
Re:A PLEA: To Cakewalk and staff. 2010/12/24 17:21:00 (permalink)
dlion16

Best advice: keep mission-critical projects in 853 until you have mastered x1 and are ready to migrate that project; start new projects with x1 to get up to speed.

I use Sony Vegas for video, and the last two releases have been disasters - bugs, things that worked before now broken... kinda like what has happened here. 

I think these companies are in such a rush to get one-up on the competition and garner more new customers, they forget that their products are successful only because of loyal user communities. 

I don't care about the upgrade costs, $100-200 a year is fine to stay current. What we've lost is the idea that once you pay your money, you're getting a "finished" product. 

I believe that both CW and Sony should greatly expand their beta programs to include the expert and highly-skilled members of communities like this one. Give us a discount coupon for when the product goes "live," but don't release it until it has passed muster with us, the users. That way, we'll be more involved in testing, and new users will get a program that has been thoroughly disastered before they get it.

Peace to all...

It doesn't always work out.  I definitely keep ALL older versions of Sonar, and separate of course.

ALL of a sudden, something I do in 8.5.3 (and prior versions) does NOT work well anymore.  This is only after installing X1/X1A.

I've been spending crazy amounts of time trying to debug this.

So I'm not convinced just keeping older versions won't be affected somehow.
I can't gaurantee there's a correlation between X1 and 8.5.3 issues I'm having, but they certainly didn't happen just a few days ago.

I'm very frustrated and this is a showstopper for me too, sad to say.

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

Scott Lee
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1120
Re:A PLEA: To Cakewalk and staff. 2010/12/24 17:37:49 (permalink)
Any luck with redistribution 2005 Billy?

As far as what was installing during the X1 load, that one was new to my system.

Scott Lee (ASCAP)
SFX Media 
Song Composer / Engineer / Audio Director

http://www.youtube.com/user/Dezacrator?feature=mhee

Crg
  • Total Posts : 7719
Re:A PLEA: To Cakewalk and staff. 2010/12/24 20:24:00 (permalink)
I thought you were in China Scott? Everything you plead for is already being done." Im not asian but If I where Chinese, I may have been slightly offended by that comment Crg.

No, I thought you said in an earler thread you were in China and your profile says Hollywood. Nevermind.

Craig DuBuc
ba_midi
Re:A PLEA: To Cakewalk and staff. 2010/12/24 20:34:29 (permalink)
Scott Lee

Any luck with redistribution 2005 Billy?

As far as what was installing during the X1 load, that one was new to my system.
Thanks for asking Scott.  Here's where I'm at now:

I've said this in another thread, but ....

I've uninstalled and reinstalled every driver possible.  I've installed the bug fix C++ redistributable.  I've torn out the guts of my system to check cables, re-seat cards.
I've checked power supply, memory and everything else I could check.

So when none of that worked, I uninstalled X1 completely and restored my system and installed 8.5.3 over itself.  And guess what?   8.5.3 is working properly again.

Go figure.  But that does suggest X1/A does install something that affects my system - OR Windows was being gunky on me during the install of X1A.

I've decided I'll just have to put aside X1 for now, as much as I prefer not to.  I do have work to do that is for hire, and I simply don't have more time to waste on this, or to be without a fully working 8.5.3.

This is not a fun position to be in.  I'd rather be involved with X1 and working things through - but not at the expense of losing functionality in 8.5.3.

And even if somehow it's "my system", I still have to do what I have to do in order to be able to get work done without the headaches.

I'll just have to keep checking for X1 updates and see what bugs it does or doesn't fix.  And to make sure I have a readily available restore procedure if not.

Sigh.

post edited by ba_midi - 2010/12/24 20:36:15

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

ShermanSmelville
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 80
Re:A PLEA: To Cakewalk and staff. 2010/12/24 20:42:59 (permalink)
Hey Billy,

I'm pretty sure that in one of your recent posts you said that you had lots of computers. Why don't you leave 8.5.3 on your main "for hire" machine, and tinker with X1 on one of your other systems.

ba_midi
Re:A PLEA: To Cakewalk and staff. 2010/12/24 20:47:18 (permalink)
ShermanSmelville

Hey Billy,

I'm pretty sure that in one of your recent posts you said that you had lots of computers. Why don't you leave 8.5.3 on your main "for hire" machine, and tinker with X1 on one of your other systems.

That's a good idea; but I only have one computer setup fully as a DAW, the others are all business setups (other than a netbook which is like a big PDA lol).

And of course, I wouldn't have any of my plugins (3rd party stuff) or devices, so in a way, it really doesn't accomplish much.

I've read the manual, though obviously one reading isn't enough yet; I've gone through most of the new functions/features, etc.  So I'm already comfortable with interacting in X1.  What I'd like to be able to do is use either 8.5.3 or X1 of course.

The other night I took an recent 8.5.3 project and mixed it in X1 without issues.  So of course I'd prefer to get into X1 deeper... but that's just not in the cards UNLESS there can be some solution to the issue it caused me in 8.5.3.

As you can see, just putting X1 on another computer isn't really enough for me.

But I do thank you for the suggestion!

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

Scott Lee
Re:A PLEA: To Cakewalk and staff. 2010/12/24 21:03:03 (permalink)
"Why don't you leave 8.5.3 on your main "for hire" machine, and tinker with X1 on one of your other systems. "

Yes good idea but unfortunately not practical. Just loading up the software on a different system might just give a false sense of security, while playing with your daws effects, VSTis, pro audio cards, hardware may just create a slue of issues. Billy, like myself, works on electronic music which in itself can have very elaborate configurations with sidechaining sends and effects. (Hell the other day I setup a side-chaining config that not only had a pumping effect, but curved the release on reverbs and panning delays triggered by multiple sources. This was just one effect for one instrument that needs to play nicely out of many) Its hard to always tell how software runs really until you dive deep into it.

best,
post edited by Scott Lee - 2010/12/24 21:05:45

Scott Lee (ASCAP)
SFX Media 

aleef
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 431
Re:A PLEA: To Cakewalk and staff. 2010/12/24 21:12:16 (permalink)
merry Xmas cakewalk...see on the 5th of Jan..

Intel i7 3820 3.6 GHz
ASUS Sabertooth X79 16Gb   
SonarX2PE ProTools 11 
RME HDSP9632
Crg
Re:A PLEA: To Cakewalk and staff. 2010/12/24 21:24:11 (permalink)
I don't need to be right at all. I'm asking you to explain why this particular thing is such a problem, and you're refusing to do it. If you could explain what it is that you're being prevented from achieving by it, I'd be the first to agree it was a problem.

I don't know, I see both points. If I had the Pro Channel EQ why would I want to use the Sonitus EQ inline with it? Is someone trying to emulate a 32 band EQ with multiple instances? With all the problems stated with the sonitus EQ, ( harsh high end), only 4 bands in the inspector insert, I'd think the Pro Channel EQ would be a releif.

Craig DuBuc
Crg
Re:A PLEA: To Cakewalk and staff. 2010/12/24 21:31:53 (permalink)
Scott Lee

Loadup I have access to bounce to clip, bounce to track, and export audio. As soon as I record anything, all these features become greyed out. happens everytime, every template, and even sometimes default greyed even on a straight bootup.

Best,

What do you have selected at the point where you want to bounce?

Craig DuBuc
Scott Lee
Re:A PLEA: To Cakewalk and staff. 2010/12/24 21:43:06 (permalink)
"What do you have selected at the point where you want to bounce?"

Audio clip in that video.. But it doesnt matter, if I want two merge to midi clips, bounce an effect to a audio track, merge audio etc or even export my final product, its fubar. Everythings greyed out.

Scott Lee (ASCAP)
SFX Media 

Middleman
Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4397
Re:A PLEA: To Cakewalk and staff. 2010/12/24 21:45:53 (permalink)
Scott Lee

Best,

I'm calling BS on this one. I just tried this same thing and I do get Bounce to Clips and export capability. This is something inherent to your system. Also, that startup at the beginning is not a normal startup for the program, it looks like a VM environment or hot load. Just posting this for other users that want some balance to the X1 experience.

Gear: A bunch of stuff.
John T
Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6783
Re:A PLEA: To Cakewalk and staff. 2010/12/24 21:48:39 (permalink)
"BS" is a bit strong. I'm sure he's not faking it.

http://johntatlockaudio.com/
Self-build PC // 16GB RAM // i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz // Nofan 0dB cooler // ASUS P8-Z77 V Pro motherboard // Intel x-25m SSD System Drive // Seagate RAID Array Audio Drive // Windows 10 64 bit // Sonar Platinum (64 bit) // Sonar VS-700 // M-Audio Keystation Pro 88 // KRK RP-6 Monitors // and a bunch of other stuff
Crg
Re:A PLEA: To Cakewalk and staff. 2010/12/24 21:54:56 (permalink)
Scott Lee

"What do you have selected at the point where you want to bounce?"

Audio clip in that video.. But it doesnt matter, if I want two merge to midi clips, bounce an effect to a audio track, merge audio etc or even export my final product, its fubar. Everythings greyed out.

I didn't see you select it in the video. Are you sure you're selecting properly? Perhaps the the select method is different in X1?

Craig DuBuc
John T
Re:A PLEA: To Cakewalk and staff. 2010/12/24 21:56:38 (permalink)
I can see him select it.

Self-build PC // 16GB RAM // i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz // Nofan 0dB cooler // ASUS P8-Z77 V Pro motherboard // Intel x-25m SSD System Drive // Seagate RAID Array Audio Drive // Windows 10 64 bit // Sonar Platinum (64 bit) // Sonar VS-700 // M-Audio Keystation Pro 88 // KRK RP-6 Monitors // and a bunch of other stuff
Middleman
Re:A PLEA: To Cakewalk and staff. 2010/12/24 21:59:04 (permalink)
The issue I have is that he is all over several threads with continued negative remarks some of which may be suspect and specific to his setup. This is one example where I find the test conditions highly suspicious. I just think he needs to have a little patience and work through the problem versus complaining incessantly.

John T
Re:A PLEA: To Cakewalk and staff. 2010/12/24 22:01:45 (permalink)
Mmm, well.. I don't entirely disagree with that, no.

On the other hand, a problem is a problem, and obviously there's an issue of some kind here.

Scott Lee
Re:A PLEA: To Cakewalk and staff. 2010/12/24 22:19:00 (permalink)
"I'm calling BS on this one"

Yes, its all staged *slaps forhead*

A bit of history for you friend. I've used cakewalk software since twelve tone system days, which means, starting around 1994. Pro Audio, Sonar 1 thru X. Its running on a purely audio driver PC, so no internet, 19 threads, hand selected VSTi for stability and the same motu PCI-324 1224 audio card that has never had a single issue since the beginning of Sonar.

This is my business, of which, I work in the video game industry/TV film so of course so I have nearly 250 gigs of disk image "states" to revert back to if a problem persists. (disk imaging is a must on the PC platform if you plan to run a business).

Now, this system ran Sonar 8.53 perfectly and Sonar X1 also worked properly prior to the X1a patch. The patch has introduced this new "feature" clearly pointed out in my video.

But if you are hell bent on dis proving me, I would be more then happy to make another video from a cold boot highlighting these same issues.
\

Scott Lee (ASCAP)
SFX Media 

John T
Re:A PLEA: To Cakewalk and staff. 2010/12/24 22:23:47 (permalink)
It's got to be worth testing surely. Running from an image could well be the problem.

Scott Lee
Re:A PLEA: To Cakewalk and staff. 2010/12/24 22:36:48 (permalink)
"Running from an image could well be the problem."

Or it could be a bug in X1a.

But if you want to blame a low level snapshot of the hard drive as a issue, by all means John T. Disk imaging consists of a sector by sector data copy, it cares less about file directories much less Sonar. A data snapshot if you will of the drive in a state as a whole.

But I can snuff out your theory quickly. Dec 8th X1 was installed on my system, at which, worked properly. Meaning, Bouncing worked, exporting worked as intended. Since then, no disk images rebooted, 0 installations, hardware changes, or setting altered in anyway minus the X1a patch.

post edited by Scott Lee - 2010/12/24 22:56:31

Scott Lee (ASCAP)
SFX Media 

ba_midi
Re:A PLEA: To Cakewalk and staff. 2010/12/24 23:27:16 (permalink)
I'm calling BS on this one. I just tried this same thing and I do get Bounce to Clips and export capability.

Wow, Middleman - I'm actually quite shocked you're calling someone BS.  That is amazingly disrespectful... but why on earth do you think Scott would have ANY reason to make this up?

He's not a newbie ya know.

Regardless, I'm taken back by that comment.

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

ba_midi
Re:A PLEA: To Cakewalk and staff. 2010/12/24 23:29:40 (permalink)
Middleman

The issue I have is that he is all over several threads with continued negative remarks some of which may be suspect and specific to his setup. This is one example where I find the test conditions highly suspicious. I just think he needs to have a little patience and work through the problem versus complaining incessantly.

I can find MANY examples of his positive statements.

Again... he's not a newbie.  He's already helped some others on this forum (I guess you missed those messages).

I'm taking his defense because I know his track record and history and he's got credibility as well as having been helpful to many.

You're entitled to your opinion, of course -- but I'm still shocked a bit by it.

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

ba_midi
Re:A PLEA: To Cakewalk and staff. 2010/12/24 23:31:13 (permalink)
Scott Lee

"I'm calling BS on this one"

Yes, its all staged *slaps forhead*

A bit of history for you friend. I've used cakewalk software since twelve tone system days, which means, starting around 1994. Pro Audio, Sonar 1 thru X. Its running on a purely audio driver PC, so no internet, 19 threads, hand selected VSTi for stability and the same motu PCI-324 1224 audio card that has never had a single issue since the beginning of Sonar.

This is my business, of which, I work in the video game industry/TV film so of course so I have nearly 250 gigs of disk image "states" to revert back to if a problem persists. (disk imaging is a must on the PC platform if you plan to run a business).

Now, this system ran Sonar 8.53 perfectly and Sonar X1 also worked properly prior to the X1a patch. The patch has introduced this new "feature" clearly pointed out in my video.

But if you are hell bent on dis proving me, I would be more then happy to make another video from a cold boot highlighting these same issues.
\

Frankly if someone called me BS I wouldn't waste my time.

What has gone wrong with this forum lately.  People seem to be leaving decency in their closets before they log on!

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

mudgel
  • Total Posts : 12010
Re:A PLEA: To Cakewalk and staff. 2010/12/24 23:34:26 (permalink)
It might mean very little scott but I too had a weird nothing worked at all issue once I installed X1a. As a last resort (even though I wasn't using an ASIO driver) I installed the hotfix and bingo everything works again. It'll only take a few minutes to try it out and might be worth it,

To test it wasn't my imagination I reverted to the before hotfix stae and again no audio engine or transport.

So with the hotfix applied I can at least start getting faamiliar with this beastie.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
Middleman
Re:A PLEA: To Cakewalk and staff. 2010/12/24 23:52:58 (permalink)
So a person comes on here and continually comments about numerous bugs they are finding with the software. Then it turns out they are running in a virtualized environment with a new piece of software, a very non-standard setup to say the least. Regardless of his experience that is a recipe for problems. His is a non typical setup does not warrant fair comparison for most people who will install the software. I am glad this was exposed before there are too many others unduly influenced by this type of "bug" report.

I did not claim he falsified his efforts by the way, although he suggested that's where I was coming from, my comment was around the fact that given his environment, there is a higher probability for problems. I did not attack him personally either, I'm just saying that putting up a video about how bad the software is, in this type of test, is unfair and biased.
post edited by Middleman - 2010/12/25 01:37:29

ba_midi
Re:A PLEA: To Cakewalk and staff. 2010/12/25 01:39:41 (permalink)
Middleman

So a person comes on here and continually comments about numerous bugs they are finding with the software. Then it turns out they are running in a virtualized environment with a new piece of software, a very non-standard setup to say the least. Regardless of his experience that is a recipe for problems. His is a non typical setup does not warrant fair comparison for most people who will install the software. I am glad this was exposed before their are too many others unduly influenced by this type of "bug" report.

I did not claim he falsified his efforts by the way, although he suggested that's where I was coming from, my comment was around the fact that given his environment, there is a higher probability for problems. I did not attack him personally either, I'm just saying that putting up a video about how bad the software is, in this type of test, is unfair and unbiased.
I must say I fully disagree with your presumptions, assumptions, and general take on this.

I actually think some of the bugs he and quite a few others bring the to the surface are important to bring to the surface.  Not everyone uses the software the same way.  And he's not a newbie to DAWs, recording in general, Sonar, and other software.

Just like I wouldn't assume things you say or do are "BS" just because I don't have the same results or encounter the same circumstances (or bugs for that matter), I don't know why you feel it's necessary to dismiss his experience in general and his experience in particular with the software.   What purpose does that serve in any way?

If, for example, you had merely stated your thoughts as to 'why' something may or not be without putting in the additional "BS" comment, then it would engage a debate that could unfold into more facts and clarity.

And more civility -- which from the way I've known you on this forum you do have.

I can disagree with others, we all can.  How we go about doing so matters, imho.

BTW, if you haven't noticed, I've been having a number of issues with X1 as well - and one I consider a showstopper (for me and me alone).   I'm sure I'm not BS about it.

post edited by ba_midi - 2010/12/25 01:50:24

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

ba_midi
Re:A PLEA: To Cakewalk and staff. 2010/12/25 01:49:22 (permalink)
So a person comes on here and continually comments about numerous bugs they are finding with the software. Then it turns out they are running in a virtualized environment with a new piece of software, a very non-standard setup to say the least. Regardless of his experience that is a recipe for problems. His is a non typical setup does not warrant fair comparison for most people who will install the software. I am glad this was exposed before there are too many others unduly influenced by this type of "bug" report.

Getting back to a discussion/debate for a moment (hopefully), the above statement gave me more thoughts ...

If you're saying people can only use the software in a specific/limited way, then sure - a non-standard approach may, in fact, open up the software to expose more bugs.     Isn't that a good thing?

BUT, if you're saying one shouldn't use the software in non-standard ways, that is a different debate.  I would assert many 'might' use it in a non-standard way.  Even some we may never hear from on a forum, for that matter.

Creative people do creative things and push the envelope now and then.   If software isn't flexible enough to be part of that process, perhaps the software needs to be reviewed -- either by the developers (to adapt) or by the user (change their choice of software).

My experience with Sonar over many years has been that it HAS been (and probably will continue to be) extremely flexible.  I would hope so, at least.

So I wouldn't dismiss anyone's approach (unless it was something like against the law of physics perhaps lol) as being valid or invalid without at least understanding it, knowing it a little more.

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

Bub
Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7196
Re:A PLEA: To Cakewalk and staff. 2010/12/25 01:53:26 (permalink)
Not even the birth of Christ can stop the arguing over X1. My God Cakewalk, what have you done?

Merry Christmas ... peace on Ear... ah ... never mind.

"I pulled the head off Elvis, filled Fred up to his pelvis, yaba daba do, the King is gone, and so are you."
ba_midi
Re:A PLEA: To Cakewalk and staff. 2010/12/25 02:07:07 (permalink)
Bub

Not even the birth of Christ can stop the arguing over X1. My God Cakewalk, what have you done?

Merry Christmas ... peace on Ear... ah ... never mind.

If the sales are good, I'd rather have a piece of Cake ;)

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 10
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1