Helpful ReplyCakewalk Analytics Coming To SONAR

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 3 of 11
Author
Brando
Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2776
Re: Cakewalk Analytics Coming To SONAR 2016/03/03 23:22:53 (permalink)
+4 (4)
I'll opt out. FWIW the feature I most want improved in SPlat is notation, and it's also the feature I almost never use (in Sonar), because, frankly, well... you know (insert dead horse emoticon here). How is someone going to gauge how to improve this, and other less-than-optimally implemented features (like, say, touch), for example from "analytics"? The suggested fix for Video issues in Sonar is commonly "Get Vegas". As a result, analytics might suggest that video in Sonar is rarely used, when in fact it's implemented state has caused users to move on to use something else, either in conjunction with, or instead of, Sonar. Step Sequencer? ("Use FL Studio (Reason/Geist)") Substitute your own example of a feature you don't use much but, which, if it was better implemented, you would use a lot.
In my estimation analytics will tend to drive improvements on features that are already well implemented and used (and while I agree that this should result in an improved focus on workflow of the most commonly used features - I am afraid the result will be more "Add Track" buttons), and away from user Feature Requests.

It sure feels that the feature requests users have been submitting/posting/waiting for have been a waste of time. I am frankly disappointed in the implementation rate of user feature requests - as I see it emphasis on "analytics" is going to further escalate the slide.

Sorry but the whole thing seems like a(nother) gimmick to me.
I know - just shut up and turn it off. Will do.

Brando
Cakewalk, Studio One Pro, Reaper
Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL
ASUS Prime Z370-A LGA1151, 32GB DDR4, Intel 8700K i7, 500 GB SSD, 3 x 1TB HDD, Windows 10 Pro 64
John T
Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6783
Re: Cakewalk Analytics Coming To SONAR 2016/03/03 23:26:07 (permalink)
+1 (3)
Well, they're not saying "we're now going to base all decisions on this new analytics data and disregard all other input".

http://johntatlockaudio.com/
Self-build PC // 16GB RAM // i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz // Nofan 0dB cooler // ASUS P8-Z77 V Pro motherboard // Intel x-25m SSD System Drive // Seagate RAID Array Audio Drive // Windows 10 64 bit // Sonar Platinum (64 bit) // Sonar VS-700 // M-Audio Keystation Pro 88 // KRK RP-6 Monitors // and a bunch of other stuff
SquireBum
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 347
Re: Cakewalk Analytics Coming To SONAR 2016/03/03 23:44:41 (permalink)
+2 (2)
tenfoot
 ... there are no doubt many more casual users/dabblers that use Sonar than there are people who use it productively. Add to that the likelihood that experienced computer users are far more likely to turn data collection features off -   I hope in the aftermath of all of the skewed feedback we don't see a dumbing down of Sonar...

Completely agree.

As a confirmed dabbler, hobbyist, and experienced computer user, I share the concern about these behaviors skewing the results.  Even as a dabbler, I want the most sophisticated DAW, not a "dumbed down" feature set.

Paul P
I'd like some more detailed examples of what might be collected and how it could help in Sonar's future.  There are very powerful functions that many probably don't know about so will never use, or that have bugs so that those that know of it won't use it either.  Does that mean the function can be removed because no one is using it ?

Again, I completely agree here.

As an example, I no longer use the Notation View.  I have moved to a second DAW's pre-release software for Notation due to the legacy feature's problems and sub-optimal workflow.  Analytics would indicate that Notation is not an important feature to me, while the truth is that I would be a heavy user if the feature's problems were corrected.

The collection of analytics is of no concern to me.  Only the questionable information and false conclusions that they may provide.

-- Ron

Cakewalk by Bandlab, Sonar Platinum x64 2017.10, X3E, X2a, X1d, 8.5
Windows 10 x64
AMD Phenom II X4 955 3.20 GHz
8 GB Ram
Nvidia GeForce 9500 GT
Echo Gina 3G
brconflict
Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1891
Re: Cakewalk Analytics Coming To SONAR 2016/03/03 23:54:12 (permalink)
Even though this was addressed, I must ask more directly: Is there any information collected and/or transmitted from the DAW machine, processes, OS, memory, other system resources, profiles, registry, and/or file system not directly associated with the app?

Brian

Sonar Platinum, Steinberg Wavelab Pro 9, MOTU 24CoreIO w/ low-slew OP-AMP mods and BLA external clock, True P8, Audient ASP008, API 512c, Chandler Germ500, Summit 2ba-221, GAP Pre-73, Peluso 22251, Peluso 2247LE, Mackie HR824, Polk Audio SRS-SDA 2.3tl w/upgraded Soniccraft crossovers and Goertz cables, powered by Pass-X350. All wiring Star-Quad XLR or Monster Cable. Power by Monster Power Signature AVS2000 voltage stabilizer and Signature Pro Power 5100 PowerCenter on a 20A isolation shielded circuit.
Brando
Re: Cakewalk Analytics Coming To SONAR 2016/03/03 23:59:58 (permalink)
+2 (2)
John T
Well, they're not saying "we're now going to base all decisions on this new analytics data and disregard all other input".

No they're not - but honestly, how would you assess the rate of implementation of user submitted feature requests to date? IMO, I don't think I could give them a C grade in that respect (but concede they scored a couple of A's for features that were not User originated.) I see analytics as a further step backwards from the vantage point of a user still holding out hope that there will be a concerted effort to implement user submitted improvement ideas. (My 2 cents).

Brando
ASUS Prime Z370-A LGA1151, 32GB DDR4, Intel 8700K i7, 500 GB SSD, 3 x 1TB HDD, Windows 10 Pro 64
BRuys
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 192
Re: Cakewalk Analytics Coming To SONAR 2016/03/04 00:38:49 (permalink)
+1 (3)
Anyone who has a Facebook account should exclude themselves from criticizing CW Analytics.  You're bleeding far more personally identifiable data to goodness-knows-who than will ever be exposed by CW.  If you have a store loyalty card, you are being tracked.  Your insurance company is probably selling your data to 3rd parties.

Look, if you're concerned you can turn it off.  The default (from what Noel said) is the unidentifiable version of data.  The version that links to your account, thereby being identifiable, is opt-in.  Let's not make a mountain out of a mole hill here, people.

I'm a little tired of protest for protests sake.
John T
Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6783
Re: Cakewalk Analytics Coming To SONAR 2016/03/04 00:48:08 (permalink)
BRuys

I'm a little tired of protest for protests sake.

To be honest, that is nowhere near as much of a thing as it used to be. I can recall being told by a chap that he KNEW I was on Cakewalk's payroll because I said something mildly positive about some feature or other. This was about five or so years ago.

Place was crazy back then, IMO. It's fairly reasonable on here these days.

http://johntatlockaudio.com/
Self-build PC // 16GB RAM // i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz // Nofan 0dB cooler // ASUS P8-Z77 V Pro motherboard // Intel x-25m SSD System Drive // Seagate RAID Array Audio Drive // Windows 10 64 bit // Sonar Platinum (64 bit) // Sonar VS-700 // M-Audio Keystation Pro 88 // KRK RP-6 Monitors // and a bunch of other stuff
sharke
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13933
Re: Cakewalk Analytics Coming To SONAR 2016/03/04 00:49:09 (permalink)
+2 (2)
SquireBum
As an example, I no longer use the Notation View.  I have moved to a second DAW's pre-release software for Notation due to the legacy feature's problems and sub-optimal workflow.  Analytics would indicate that Notation is not an important feature to me, while the truth is that I would be a heavy user if the feature's problems were corrected.

I thought the same about the Matrix view and the step sequencer. Don't use 'em because they don't gel with me, not because I don't want to use a Matrix type view or a step sequencer. 

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
RogerH
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 608
Re: Cakewalk Analytics Coming To SONAR 2016/03/04 03:09:28 (permalink)
+1 (1)
SquireBum
tenfoot
 ... there are no doubt many more casual users/dabblers that use Sonar than there are people who use it productively. Add to that the likelihood that experienced computer users are far more likely to turn data collection features off -   I hope in the aftermath of all of the skewed feedback we don't see a dumbing down of Sonar...

Completely agree.

As a confirmed dabbler, hobbyist, and experienced computer user, I share the concern about these behaviors skewing the results.  Even as a dabbler, I want the most sophisticated DAW, not a "dumbed down" feature set.

Paul P
I'd like some more detailed examples of what might be collected and how it could help in Sonar's future.  There are very powerful functions that many probably don't know about so will never use, or that have bugs so that those that know of it won't use it either.  Does that mean the function can be removed because no one is using it ?

Again, I completely agree here.

The collection of analytics is of no concern to me.  Only the questionable information and false conclusions that they may provide.

-- Ron

Very good post. 
This is a concern that I share.

A song from my band: Terramater 
My soundcloud page
Sonar Platinum
Windows 7 Professional (SP1) 64Bit
Intel Core i7 Quad Processor i7-2600K 3,4GHz
MSI P67A-C45 (MOBO)
Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz 8GB CL9 (2x4GB)
Seagate Barracuda® 7200.12 1TB
Seagate Barracuda® XT 2TB
[font="arial, sans-se
Bristol_Jonesey
  • Total Posts : 16775
Re: Cakewalk Analytics Coming To SONAR 2016/03/04 03:57:48 (permalink)
+1 (3)
Personally I think this is a great idea and will certainly be opting in.

I don't get this "big brother is watching you" paranoia.
Let's face it, you're all being watched anyway.
My Amazon "recommendations" are full of stuff I've looked at on other sites.

I this enables Cakewalk to make a better product then who am I to complain?

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
trtzbass
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 150
Re: Cakewalk Analytics Coming To SONAR 2016/03/04 04:44:55 (permalink)
+3 (3)
I'll surely be opting in.

I see this as an effort on Cakewalk's side to make sonar a better music making machine.

Jordan Brown

- he tried to play bass

www.jordanbrown.co.uk
twitter.com/trtzbass
trgmachine.bandcamp.com
fireberd
Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3704
Re: Cakewalk Analytics Coming To SONAR 2016/03/04 06:27:25 (permalink)
I'm off line (I disable the NIC) when I'm using Sonar.  It won't do any good to have tracking on in my case.

"GCSG Productions"
Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
ISRC Registered
Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.
Anderton
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: Cakewalk Analytics Coming To SONAR 2016/03/04 07:46:17 (permalink)
Snehankur
Anderton
Someone suggested this in the forums a while back, and I thought it was a good idea.

There are lot many people have suggested other ideas as well - since long time back - and you think those ideas were bad?

Regards
Snehankur

Of course not. Just because I think some ideas are good doesn't mean I think other ideas were bad. I'm very glad other popular forum-based requests like synth recording, upsampling, the functionality of patch points, more optimizations, and additions to Mix Recall were implemented.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
Tom Riggs
Max Output Level: -57.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1752
Re: Cakewalk Analytics Coming To SONAR 2016/03/04 07:56:28 (permalink)
Thanks for the heads up. I will give it a try however my internet is sometimes a bit spotty. As long as I do not find it slowing me down I don't mind leaving the analytics turned on. 

The main reason I do not use the start screen is that it slows me down when starting.

i7-3770k OC at 4.5Ghz, asus p8z77-m, 16g g.skill aries 1600 c9 ram, Noctua d-14 cooler, RME HDSPe Raydat, Motu FastLane, Nvidea GTX 980 ti 6G, windows 7 and 8.1 pro x64. Sonar Platinum and x3e currently installed

My Music 
My YouTube

Anderton
Re: Cakewalk Analytics Coming To SONAR 2016/03/04 08:02:40 (permalink)
With all due respect, those people who think analytics will dominate all decisions about the program, and cause less-used features to be removed, really need to review the opening post of this thread. According to Cakewalk, analytics are about expanding on the existing ways of taking the pulse of the community: 

"Feedback has always been important to us. We already use information from forums, surveys, press, dealers, and social media to gain perspectives on how new updates to SONAR are doing, and what needs more work. Unfortunately this doesn’t always tell us how the experience is for the larger population of customers outside of these channels. Analytics are the best way to gauge the in-app customer experience. Your feedback in all these places is very important to us, and we’d like to continue to expand our understanding of how you use our software." 

I think that's quite unambiguous. Also those who think analytics means less-used features will be removed need to be reminded of this:

We’ll be able to find out what features are popular, ways to improve features, roadblocks that users encounter, and how well new features integrate with your workflow. However, this doesn’t mean that we won’t pay attention to features that are less used. We see this as an opportunity to look at less used features and improve them. 

For example, those who say they don't use notation because it doesn't meet what they want (even though some people do very sophisticated work in staff view) think that means Cakewalk would assume people don't want improvements in notation. Based on the two statements above, that concern makes no sense. Furthermore if new users start to use notation and bail, that info will bolster those who want to see changes. It seems many of the concerns here are based on making assumptions that contradict Cakewalk's stated intentions. 

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
Noel Borthwick [Cakewalk]
Cakewalk Staff
  • Total Posts : 6475
Re: Cakewalk Analytics Coming To SONAR 2016/03/04 08:03:57 (permalink)
fireberd
I'm off line (I disable the NIC) when I'm using Sonar.  It won't do any good to have tracking on in my case.

Hi fireberd,
Yes Cakewalk analytics can be used even if you turn off your network while using SONAR. Its designed to handle offline use as well. I answered this question here.

Noel Borthwick
Senior Manager Audio Core, BandLab
My Blog, Twitter, BandLab Profile
Cakewalk Staff
Re: Cakewalk Analytics Coming To SONAR 2016/03/04 08:10:52 (permalink)
Tom Riggs
Thanks for the heads up. I will give it a try however my internet is sometimes a bit spotty. As long as I do not find it slowing me down I don't mind leaving the analytics turned on. 
The main reason I do not use the start screen is that it slows me down when starting.

The analytics is unnoticeable when working. All its doing is capturing some really lightweight data about the operations performed and some high level summary information about the project and SONAR's configuration settings. It probably takes microseconds to log that info. You are also free to turn analytics on and off at will anytime. When its off its completely dead and will never even execute. If there is no internet detected it will write the data to disk and only send it at a future date.

Noel Borthwick
dcumpian
Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4124
Re: Cakewalk Analytics Coming To SONAR 2016/03/04 08:19:58 (permalink)
+3 (3)
Personally, I think it's a fine idea if there is a way while tracking workflow where we can stop what we are doing, click a button and tell you guys "right here, it would be great if Sonar would let me do X by doing Y...". That would be really awesome.

Regards,
Dan

Mixing is all about control.

My music:
http://dancumpian.bandcamp.com/ or https://soundcloud.com/dcumpian Studiocat Advanced Studio DAW (Intel i5 3550 @ 3.7GHz, Z77 motherboard, 16GB Ram, lots of HDDs), Sonar Plat, Mackie 1604, PreSonus Audiobox 44VSL, ESI 4x4 Midi Interface, Ibanez Bass, Custom Fender Mexi-Strat, NI S88, Roland JV-2080 & MDB-1, Komplete, Omnisphere, Lots o' plugins.    
Keith Albright [Cakewalk]
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1117
Re: Cakewalk Analytics Coming To SONAR 2016/03/04 08:24:01 (permalink)
+4 (4)
For me,  I have opted in and out on different applications.  At first I would turn everything off.  Then I learned more about what it does and how it's not user data but usage data and why wouldn't I want to have something that better fits how I want to work?

Now with applications that I use a lot that from vendors I trust, I'll turn on the usage data as I'd like to see improvements.  Some I've seen update and address frustration points I had without me even having to report an issue.  That's cool.

So imagine an app that fits what you want to do, like picking up a perfectly setup guitar or playing on a well regulated piano where the touch is just how you like it.  When you can be in the zone and flowing, amazing things happen.  In no way do we want to break creative flow. On the contrary, we want to improve it by reducing friction and obstacles to help our current and new users.  As Lance said, we look at feedback from many sources, so to suddenly stop looking at everything else would be foolish.

We're passionate SONAR users too.  Rest assured we don't want to wreck our experience or yours either!  We are excited about the future and want to thank you for your past, current and future part in that.  Let's create/record/edit/mix/<insert verb> some great music!

Keith

Keith
Cakewalk Staff
Re: Cakewalk Analytics Coming To SONAR 2016/03/04 08:24:59 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby FCCfirstclass 2016/03/04 10:16:33
+2 (2)
Anderton
We’ll be able to find out what features are popular, ways to improve features, roadblocks that users encounter, and how well new features integrate with your workflow. However, this doesn’t mean that we won’t pay attention to features that are less used. We see this as an opportunity to look at less used features and improve them. 

For example, those who say they don't use notation because it doesn't meet what they want (even though some people do very sophisticated work in staff view) think that means Cakewalk would assume people don't want improvements in notation. Based on the two statements above, that concern makes no sense. Furthermore if new users start to use notation and bail, that info will bolster those who want to see changes. It seems many of the concerns here are based on making assumptions that contradict Cakewalk's stated intentions. 

Well stated. The analytics data itself will be used very carefully as supplemental info to other more traditional sources of data that we have today such as surveys and user feedback. Also in case you missed it we have already announced that we are starting up a brand new feedback portal. Why would we be doing that if we intended to exclusively use analytics data? Cakewalk is a small company and its critical for us to to be efficient and prioritize our resources well so that we benefit the maximum number of users. These are all important steps in that direction.

Noel Borthwick
Cakewalk Staff
Re: Cakewalk Analytics Coming To SONAR 2016/03/04 08:26:58 (permalink)
+2 (2)
dcumpian
Personally, I think it's a fine idea if there is a way while tracking workflow where we can stop what we are doing, click a button and tell you guys "right here, it would be great if Sonar would let me do X by doing Y...". That would be really awesome.

Regards,
Dan

Dan I like that idea a lot. In the first cut we will be doing the minimum but I don't see why we cannot expand this feature as we reap its benefits.

Noel Borthwick
Brando
Re: Cakewalk Analytics Coming To SONAR 2016/03/04 08:28:09 (permalink)
Anderton
With all due respect, those people who think analytics will dominate all decisions about the program, and cause less-used features to be removed, really need to review the opening post of this thread. According to Cakewalk, analytics are about expanding on the existing ways of taking the pulse of the community: 

"Feedback has always been important to us. We already use information from forums, surveys, press, dealers, and social media to gain perspectives on how new updates to SONAR are doing, and what needs more work. Unfortunately this doesn’t always tell us how the experience is for the larger population of customers outside of these channels. Analytics are the best way to gauge the in-app customer experience. Your feedback in all these places is very important to us, and we’d like to continue to expand our understanding of how you use our software." 

I think that's quite unambiguous. Also those who think analytics means less-used features will be removed need to be reminded of this:

Speaking for myself only, my post was not as much to disagree with Cake's stated intention as to look at their track record from the vantage point of a user with a list of features that have seen minimal improvement in years- as an example, the dozen or so fixes on the list of work done to Staff View last year were small, incidental, I would almost call them "superficial". It's an easy solution for Cakewalk to demonstrate their willingness to use user input in the form of Feature Requests - implement them.
I expect that this will trigger reponses about all the great things that were rolled out last year - which I am not disputing at all. I would never have renewed my membership if that were the case. So I am going to back out of this thread. Just my opinion. Fwiw.

Brando
dwardzala
Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1470
Re: Cakewalk Analytics Coming To SONAR 2016/03/04 08:51:24 (permalink)
+1 (1)
Brando
I'll opt out. FWIW the feature I most want improved in SPlat is notation, and it's also the feature I almost never use (in Sonar), because, frankly, well... you know (insert dead horse emoticon here). How is someone going to gauge how to improve this, and other less-than-optimally implemented features (like, say, touch), for example from "analytics"? The suggested fix for Video issues in Sonar is commonly "Get Vegas". As a result, analytics might suggest that video in Sonar is rarely used, when in fact it's implemented state has caused users to move on to use something else, either in conjunction with, or instead of, Sonar. Step Sequencer? ("Use FL Studio (Reason/Geist)") Substitute your own example of a feature you don't use much but, which, if it was better implemented, you would use a lot.
In my estimation analytics will tend to drive improvements on features that are already well implemented and used (and while I agree that this should result in an improved focus on workflow of the most commonly used features - I am afraid the result will be more "Add Track" buttons), and away from user Feature Requests.

It sure feels that the feature requests users have been submitting/posting/waiting for have been a waste of time. I am frankly disappointed in the implementation rate of user feature requests - as I see it emphasis on "analytics" is going to further escalate the slide.

I know - just shut up and turn it off. Will do.

Actually Brando's point is why you can't just skew the data toward "power users."  The new users won't know about the ineffectiveness of [insert your feature here] and will try to use it.  The analytics collected from them will show the workstream they are trying to use and potentially result in improvement to those features.

Dave
Main Studio- Core i5 @2.67GHz, 16Gb Ram, (2) 500Gb HDs, (1) 360 Gb HD
MotU Ultralite AVB, Axiom 49 Midi Controller, Akai MPD18 Midi Controller
Win10 x64 Home
Sonar 2017.06 Platinum (and X3e, X2c, X1d)

Mobile Studio - Sager NP8677 (i7-6700HQ @2.67MHz, 16G Ram, 250G SSD, 1T HD)
M-Box Mini v. 2
Win 10 x64 Home
Sonar 2016.10 Platinum

Check out my original music:
https://soundcloud.com/d-wardzala/sets/d-wardzala-original-music

irvin
  • Total Posts : 142
Re: Cakewalk Analytics Coming To SONAR 2016/03/04 09:10:00 (permalink)
+2 (2)
I think Cakewalk is being totally straightforward in describing the idea behind the move: it wants to gather data on how people use the software so that they can modify it to give people more of what they actually prefer. This is a pure marketing move - it's not about finding and fixing bugs, not about finding what features users want. It's all about what users do with the program.

Very dangerous trend here - not because of the privacy angle: Cakewalk will not do anything sinister. Paranoia has no place in this conversation. It's dangerous because it has the potential of sending Cakewalk in the direction of adding generic features in order to satisfy the lowest common denominator: Garage Band or Magix Music Maker will be the result.

But then again: what if most Sonar users want a simpler DAW? what is Cakewalk supposed to do, alienate the majority of their clients?

I guess the solution for every user is to decide if the current trend is something you want to support with your wallet. I know what my answer is - but that's only good for me. Others need to find their own answers...
Paul P
Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2685
Re: Cakewalk Analytics Coming To SONAR 2016/03/04 09:12:51 (permalink)
dwardzala
Actually Brando's point is why you can't just skew the data toward "power users."  The new users won't know about the ineffectiveness of [insert your feature here] and will try to use it.  The analytics collected from them will show the workstream they are trying to use and potentially result in improvement to those features.

It does seem that Cakewalk is doing this for the clueless new users in the interests of making Sonar easier/simpler to learn and operate.  That's ok in itself, but doesn't do much for experienced users.  For these, problem reports and feature requests are probably more significant.

Sonar Platinum [2017.10], Win7U x64 sp1, Xeon E5-1620 3.6 GHz, Asus P9X79WS, 16 GB ECC, 128gb SSD, HD7950, Mackie Blackjack
Anderton
Re: Cakewalk Analytics Coming To SONAR 2016/03/04 09:12:58 (permalink)
+1 (1)
Brando
Speaking for myself only, my post was not as much to disagree with Cake's stated intention as to look at their track record from the vantage point of a user with a list of features that have seen minimal improvement in years- as an example, the dozen or so fixes on the list of work done to Staff View last year were small, incidental, I would almost call them "superficial". It's an easy solution for Cakewalk to demonstrate their willingness to use user input in the form of Feature Requests - implement them.
I expect that this will trigger reponses about all the great things that were rolled out last year - which I am not disputing at all. I would never have renewed my membership if that were the case. So I am going to back out of this thread. Just my opinion. Fwiw.

I think you're probably a typical user - happy about what's been improved, disappointed with what hasn't if it's a feature that matters to you. For example I still keep hoping for a "drum machine mode" for the PRV, but then again if Cakewalk came to me and said "We have time to do patch points or drum machine mode, you can have one" I would have picked patch points.

Realistically there will always be a desire on Cakewalk's part to do more features and fixes than the current level of resources allows. Therefore everything will need to be prioritized, and it's a balancing act. There are two main ways analytics can help.

• SONAR is always picking up new users. If enough people choose to connect with their account, Cakewalk can see what frustrates those who are being exposed to the program for the first time. Those here who think "Well I don't use feature X because I don't like it so Cakewalk won't do anything" aren't considering the value of data from new users.
  • There are some bugs that are deep in the program or intermittent, and it can take a lot of time to reproduce the bug in order to find out what's causing it. If analytics automatically provides a really clear set of steps to reproduce, this could cut down drastically on the time required to fix bugs, therefore freeing up resources to either improve features or fix more bugs.

Cakewalk will always prioritized based on what they think will provide the greatest positive impact to the greatest number of users. Analytics provide yet another set of data points to help with those kinds of decisions.

fireberd
Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3704
Re: Cakewalk Analytics Coming To SONAR 2016/03/04 09:19:51 (permalink)
Noel, your link is broken.  Edge can't find the site.

"GCSG Productions"
Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
ISRC Registered
Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.
Anderton
Re: Cakewalk Analytics Coming To SONAR 2016/03/04 09:20:36 (permalink)
+2 (2)
Paul P

It does seem that Cakewalk is doing this for the clueless new users in the interests of making Sonar easier/simpler to learn and operate.  That's ok in itself, but doesn't do much for experienced users.  For these, problem reports and feature requests are probably more significant.

Cakewalk has made it clear that using analytics doesn't obviate their other methods of canvassing users. But perhaps more importantly, power users are the ones who push the system harder, and find bugs that new users would never find because they're just doing the basics. I think analytics would make it much easier to fix the kinds of bugs that vex power users, especially because the power users may not have the time to really investigate a bug in order to submit steps to reproduce...but if analytics does that for you, then that would be tremendously helpful for troubleshooting.

Also, because of the rolling updates, with some features everyone is a "new user" because they've never been exposed to that feature before. Being able to collect data on whether Cakewalk made the right decision or not regarding a new feature will be valuable feedback regarding future plans. For example enough people seemed to like upsampling that Cakewalk improved the feature with real-time upsampling on playback. In the future those kinds of decisions can be based on hard facts regarding if and how people used a particular feature.

Paul G
Max Output Level: -52 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2334
Re: Cakewalk Analytics Coming To SONAR 2016/03/04 09:30:27 (permalink)
Beepster
 As for the smartphone comparison... I don't use those and never will. If I was ever in a situation where I HAD to use one I would do everything in my power to circumvent every creepy little thingamadoodle installed on it designed to collect data.

My kind of guy!

How would this work if you keep your DAW offline?

Intel i7-4790K, Win7 Pro, 16GB Ram
1TB OS, 2TB Audio, 1TB Samples
Focusrite Scarlett 6i6
Cakewalk by Bandlab
Paul Robert Glaser
The Brothers Glaser
SoundClick
irvin
  • Total Posts : 142
Re: Cakewalk Analytics Coming To SONAR 2016/03/04 09:30:42 (permalink)
BrandoIn my estimation analytics will tend to drive improvements on features that are already well implemented and used (and while I agree that this should result in an improved focus on workflow of the most commonly used features - I am afraid the result will be more "Add Track" buttons), and away from user Feature Requests.

In all fairness, Cakewalk is at a crossroads: power users are a minority of their clientele (you can tell from the postings on this forum) and the super-saturated DAW market makes it almost impossible to pry users from the competition. The most promising market is casual users and total beginners.

What is Cakewalk supposed to do? Cater to the minority? Lose potential customers?

That's the real issue behind all the marketing-driven moves of late (plus the ones coming up): LANDR, analytics, etc. It's a business, not a science project (even though there is great danger for Cakewalk itself: casual users and total beginners are less likely to pay for using the program - you know what I mean...)

All we can do as users is decide if the trend is one we benefit from and then act accordingly.
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 3 of 11
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1