Helpful ReplyLockedCakewalk Announcement

Page: << < ..56575859 > Showing page 57 of 59
Author
pwalpwal
Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3249
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/11 11:50:59 (permalink)
TearOfTheStar
And what will happen with Cakewalk products for Steam users? Will i lose my splat when servers will die? I can't download offline installers for obvious reasons. Or activation goes thru Steam and should not be a problem?

i have the steam edition, and i think all the validation goes through steam (it's been nearly 2 years since i bought it), and i imagine it will be the same as for other discontinued (no longer for sale) apps - they stay in your account forever

i may be wrong, but that's my understanding, hth

just a sec

jjj.fcc
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 31
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/11 12:15:02 (permalink)
I bought Professional at Steam. It is working normally. 
I think Steam keeps the last version of any "dead" software, for buyers to reinstall, when needed.
But I'm not 100% sure, of course...   
Vincenzo Bruni
  • Total Posts : 5
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/11 14:41:07 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Bob4u 2018/01/12 16:31:07
I have subscribed for twenty years, I could have changed my Daw at any time and I did not, because the idea of growing up with Cakewalk's development was very inspiring to me. But we also have to try to think together. I think that the only owners of this software are exclusively us who have always paid for it. Therefore I ask you and I ask you all: ' Since we have always financed it, are we capable and do we have the will to buy Cakewalk's rights together?  "Thank you and I beg your pardon if I have not been very clear.
subtlearts
Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2200
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/11 15:21:27 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Vincenzo Bruni 2018/01/11 15:25:58
Vincenzo Bruni
I have subscribed for twenty years, I could have changed my Daw at any time and I did not, because the idea of growing up with Cakewalk's development was very inspiring to me. But we also have to try to think together. I think that the only owners of this software are exclusively us who have always paid for it. Therefore I ask you and I ask you all: ' Since we have always financed it, are we capable and do we have the will to buy Cakewalk's rights together?  "Thank you and I beg your pardon if I have not been very clear.

This idea has been floated by a few people. It's not really a very plausible idea when subjected to scrutiny. Who are 'we'? I, for example, have no idea who you are. What is the legal basis for us and some vague group of other users entering into a co-ownership scenario? Is there any evidence that Gibson is offering anything for sale? Not that I've seen. Do we know for sure that negotiations for transfer of ownership to some other potential buyer are not already under way? We have no idea, as specific information has not been forthcoming. Do we have any idea what the 'rights' to Cakewalk are worth, even if Gibson were selling? No. The code and brand may be a valuable asset, or a toxic liability, depending on how you look at it. Do we have any kind of quorum as to how some vague group of loyal users, most of whom have already in fact made transition plans to use one or more other, supported competing products, would proceed with management and development of this software, assuming all of the above can somehow be overcome? Again, no. There is however, ample evidence that Cakewalk has in fact been losing money for some time now, and I don't know about you, but I'm not into betting on losing horses. If I were you I would abandon this poorly-conceived notion and move on. Use Sonar as long as you want to, but make plans to transition to something with a viable future. 

tobias tinker 
music is easy: just start with complete silence, and take away the parts you don't like!
tobiastinker.com
aeosrecords.com
soundfascination.com
Sonar Platinum, a bunch of other stuff...
sharke
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13933
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/11 15:45:24 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby karhide 2018/01/11 16:48:34
Vincenzo Bruni
I think that the only owners of this software are exclusively us who have always paid for it. 

You don't own any of the software you use. You merely purchased a license to use it. 

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
CakeAlexSHere
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 577
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/11 15:50:52 (permalink)
^ Yup.
Grem
Max Output Level: -19.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5562
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/11 18:03:21 (permalink)
Have not followed this whole thread but have popped in from time to time.

Something has to be accepted:
Sonar is dead. It died a few months ago.

Maybe some parts of the code may be worth something to someone. We will never know (not anytime soon anyway).

IOW we may see some of the plugins that CW developed sold to other companies. Will they retain the CW name? Doubt it.

Other than that, it's over.

That said, I still use Sonar. It's a very powerful software. It has now become a 'tool' in the tool chest. I'll use it when I need it. And right now that's a lot! I just know it better than my other DAW.

But I am moving on. It will take me a while to know my new DAW as well as I know Sonar. But that time will come.

Grem

Michael

Music PC
i7 2600K; 64gb Ram; 3 256gb SSD, System, Samples, Audio; 1TB & 2TB Project Storage; 2TB system BkUp; RME FireFace 400; Win 10 Pro 64; CWbBL 64, 
Home PC
AMD FX 6300; 8gb Ram; 256 SSD sys; 2TB audio/samples; Realtek WASAPI; Win 10 Home 64; CWbBL 64 
Surface Pro 3
Win 10  i7 8gb RAM; CWbBL 64
kzmaier
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 461
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/11 18:07:11 (permalink)
Grem
Have not followed this whole thread but have popped in from time to time.

Something has to be accepted:
Sonar is dead. It died a few months ago.

Maybe some parts of the code may be worth something to someone. We will never know (not anytime soon anyway).

IOW we may see some of the plugins that CW developed sold to other companies. Will they retain the CW name? Doubt it.

Other than that, it's over.

That said, I still use Sonar. It's a very powerful software. It has now become a 'tool' in the tool chest. I'll use it when I need it. And right now that's a lot! I just know it better than my other DAW.

But I am moving on. It will take me a while to know my new DAW as well as I know Sonar. But that time will come.

Wrong.  Sonar is in transition and it works better than ever!

Best Regards,
Ken
Bandlab Cakewalk - i5/8G Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 / Boss gt001

www.reverbnation.com/kzmaier

CakeAlexSHere
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/11 18:12:23 (permalink)
^^ Wrong Cakewalk the company is in transition not Sonar.

Sonar is dead.

Maybe though, like all good religions it may resurrect and have an afterlife that the Cakewalking dead may decide to follow. Then again it may be recycled for body parts. Tune in next year.
kzmaier
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 461
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/11 20:05:40 (permalink)
CakeAlexSHere
^^ Wrong Cakewalk the company is in transition not Sonar.

Sonar is dead.

Maybe though, like all good religions it may resurrect and have an afterlife that the Cakewalking dead may decide to follow. Then again it may be recycled for body parts. Tune in next year.

Ok ... but if Cakewalk is in transition isn't Sonar also??

Come on somebody buy Cakewalk!  Waves, NI,  ... great user base for selling plugins!!!

Best Regards,
Ken
Bandlab Cakewalk - i5/8G Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 / Boss gt001

www.reverbnation.com/kzmaier

CakeAlexSHere
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/11 20:13:06 (permalink)
kzmaier
Ok ... but if Cakewalk is in transition isn't Sonar also??

Come on somebody buy Cakewalk!  Waves, NI,  ... great user base for selling plugins!!!

Er nope.

It's really not that hard to read the last two or three pages of threads, you will discover the "transition" word has already been discussed by Noel.
bradtm
  • Total Posts : 1
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/12 00:42:59 (permalink)
Wow, what an interesting 57 pages, took a few days to read.  I came to the “funeral” a little late, but it was great to see so many people pay their respects, reflecting on how they met cakewalk and their feelings of joy, sadness, anger, and hope.  I received Cakewalk with an old Sound Blaster card and have enjoyed it ever since, especially the past few years starting with the 2015.02 Braintree release, where enhancement after enhancement came out and every month was like Christmas.  As a software developer since '87, I'm deeply impressed with what the team generated -- stable code, new features, and great documentation, on an agile development schedule.  That's not easy to do so kudos to everyone involved.

But I found out last week Christmas is over (literally and figuratively) and I wanted to say thank you.  It sucks when you put your heart and soul into a great product only for management to kill it.  This software touched many, and it's easy to see why -- it's been part of our creative lives for a long time. Heck, it outlasted 3 of my cars and going on a 4th.  Anyway, thanks for such a great product.  And who knows, maybe there’ll be a miracle resurrection in the future.  I hate funerals.

Best Regards, Brad
jjj.fcc
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/12 13:50:24 (permalink)
I understand that sell a program without any support is anti-ethical (illegal, maybe...), but I wish there was a legal way to upgrade my Professional to Platinum, with all the stuff, maybe at some "promotional-end-of-business" price... Some interesting things are now just... inaccessible... gone forever...

Some people think that abandonware (if Sonar is indeed dead and if it'll be totally abandoned some day...) is kinda "free to use", since nobody is selling, nobody is supporting and, therefore, nobody cares(?)... But I don't want and will not use any form of piracy.

So, I'm stucked on my wish: can't go in any direction... :(
iRelevant
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 430
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/12 15:12:00 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Earwax 2018/01/12 22:29:19
Software is immortal. It's only users, programmers, management and owners that die. Sonar will "live" forever.

I'm surprised how hard some people here are on Gibson, when gratefulness would be more appropriate. 
It's thanks to Gibson, which at a financial loss; have provided us with the latest version of Sonar. A great work of art.

It seems there is truth in the old saying : "Ungratefulness is the salary of the world". 
marled
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 251
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/12 15:32:39 (permalink)
They did not buy CW, because they are so big-hearted.
InstrEd
Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1276
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/12 15:40:24 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby hockeyjx 2018/01/12 16:16:39
jjj.fcc
I understand that sell a program without any support is anti-ethical (illegal, maybe...), but I wish there was a legal way to upgrade my Professional to Platinum, with all the stuff, maybe at some "promotional-end-of-business" price... Some interesting things are now just... inaccessible... gone forever...

Some people think that abandonware (if Sonar is indeed dead and if it'll be totally abandoned some day...) is kinda "free to use", since nobody is selling, nobody is supporting and, therefore, nobody cares(?)... But I don't want and will not use any form of piracy.

Rant coming:
Now that it is gone you want to spend the money. Sorry I have seen too many of that here.
If you would of spent the money maybe Cakewalk would still be in business. Can't have it both ways.
I'm also upset that Cakewalk was mis-managed. Cakewalk should of had the paid on add-in's like they said instead
of giving them out as freebies.
Rant over

I'm sad too because it was my DAW for over 15 years.

Instred
Chicagoland, IL 

jjj.fcc
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/12 16:29:25 (permalink)
InstrEd
Now that it is gone you want to spend the money.

Well... I spent my money with the Edition that fits my needs. By now.

But one day I might want to try or need something else. And I will not have the chance.
You see what I mean? 
Anyway... never mind...
CakeAlexSHere
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/12 16:32:11 (permalink)
I think the idea that an extra 100 renewals, perhaps double (let's be extremely generous) would have somehow saved the company is kinda.. naa.. the responsibility is not on users.
Bob4u
  • Total Posts : 5
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/12 16:37:51 (permalink)
When GIBSON bought CAKEWALK I thought "very well, now they are under strong arms and Gibson will make Sonar greater than ever.
Now I see.
I swear: I will not buy a GIBSON product anymore.
= Bob Axx =
InstrEd
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/12 16:50:20 (permalink)
I do get it. But, I also see folks coming on here to complain that they can't upgrade now.
A little two faced. My opinion that's all.
I hope they do unlock the codes if the servers go down.

Alex, you're probably right it wouldn't of made a difference in the scope of things.
Cakewalk was mismanaged :(

I have brought three other DAW's at the sale price and still not sure where I'll land. All have merit.
Cakewalk, if they are resurrected , would have to earn my money. No more "hey new version, lets keep them going"
Especially since I paid for lifetime updates :(

Instred
Chicagoland, IL 

iRelevant
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 430
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/12 16:53:12 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Earwax 2018/01/12 22:31:30
@ Marled
They did not buy CW, because they are so big-hearted.

That is not fact, but speculation. Gibson is a business and not a charity btw.
What we do know is that they knowingly bought CW even though it was unprofitable,
took the cost and risk of trying to turn things around ... and eventually had to say stop.
In the process creating the latest version of Sonar. 

A Sonar which at the moment is fully functional, without major bugs ...
and under win7 with near certainty will work until the end of the universe.
InstrEd
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/12 17:03:16 (permalink)
I'm taking a chill pill guys. You are probable right. It is more the way Gibson, and Cakewalk are handling the
situation. The F**k with legal crap.

Okay I'm going to take my chill pill now

Instred
Chicagoland, IL 

CakeAlexSHere
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/12 17:06:26 (permalink)
iRelevant

^ That is an opinion that others may agree or disagree with.

But there are still some corker bugs (sorry I don't want to get into the specifics it's pointless now). Also some people are using earlier Platinum versions to work around regression bugs that were not fixed. It appears they **could** be forced to update to the latest Platinum if a new build cames out to fix product activation without servers.

If Gibson/Cakewalk was honourable it would look at all the regression bugs within Platinum (after X3E) and fix them as well imho for this build, of course pigs can fly.
michael diemer
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1128
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/12 17:14:42 (permalink)
jjj.fcc

Hell, I'd take Artist as my latest version. I'm stuck with 8.5. Which is very good, I'm not complaining. And yes, I do feel guilty for not supporting the software faithfully, for which I can only beg forgiveness. Now that I'm using the free Home Studio (which may still be available), I see that I can do what I did in 8.5, it's just different. Unfortunately I'm way too late and way too many dollars short. Mea Culpa.

michael diemer
Intel Quad Core i7-3770 Ivy Bridge
32 GB ram
1TB Western Digital Black X2
Microsoft Windows 7 Pro 64
UR22 interface
Bandlab Cakewalk/Sonar 8.5 Studio
GPO-EWQLSO Gold-Vienna SP ED-Cinematic Strings 2

sharke
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/12 17:18:41 (permalink)
CakeAlexSHere
iRelevant

Yeah I would have had to jump ship anyway if they didn't fix the really catastrophic ones, regardless of whether or not Cakewalk folded. If you're one of the unlucky ones for whom Sonar was actually destroying mixes with the plugin settings bug, the program is now dead weight without the promise of any more development. 

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
Grem
Max Output Level: -19.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5562
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/12 19:57:43 (permalink)
sharke
CakeAlexSHere
iRelevant

If you're one of the unlucky ones for whom Sonar was actually destroying mixes with the plugin settings bug, the program is now dead weight without the promise of any more development. 

I was finding that towards the end of Sonar development, the older, longer, and more complicated a project got, the more weird things went wrong. And went wrong that could not be fixed. No work around. Project was either scrapped, or started over again.

CakeAlexSHere
I think the idea that an extra 100 renewals, perhaps double (let's be extremely generous) would have somehow saved the company is kinda.. naa.. the responsibility is not on users.

This is correct. It's not on our backs.

Grem

Michael

Music PC
i7 2600K; 64gb Ram; 3 256gb SSD, System, Samples, Audio; 1TB & 2TB Project Storage; 2TB system BkUp; RME FireFace 400; Win 10 Pro 64; CWbBL 64, 
Home PC
AMD FX 6300; 8gb Ram; 256 SSD sys; 2TB audio/samples; Realtek WASAPI; Win 10 Home 64; CWbBL 64 
Surface Pro 3
Win 10  i7 8gb RAM; CWbBL 64
Kev999
Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3922
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/12 21:54:59 (permalink)
CakeAlexSHere
iRelevant

...there are still some corker bugs (sorry I don't want to get into the specifics it's pointless now). Also some people are using earlier Platinum versions...

Too true! The final release of Platinum has a serious bug that makes it impossible for me to work with. I haven't got time to check out all the different monthly releases, so I'm sticking with an earlier one from 2016 that works well for me. Maybe I'm missing out on a few useful features, but I'm OK with that.

SonarPlatinum(22.11.0.111)|Mixbus32C(4.3.19)|DigitalPerformer(9.5.1)|Reaper(5.77)
FractalDesign:DefineR5|i7-6850k@4.1GHz|16GB@2666MHz-DDR4|MSI:GamingProCarbonX99a|Matrox:M9148(x2)|UAD2solo(6.5.2)|W7Ult-x64-SP1
Audient:iD22+ASP800|KRK:VXT6|+various-outboard-gear|+guitars&basses, etc.
Having fun at work lately
Earwax
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 242
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/12 22:30:38 (permalink)
iRelevant
Software is immortal. It's only users, programmers, management and owners that die. Sonar will "live" forever.

I'm surprised how hard some people here are on Gibson, when gratefulness would be more appropriate. 
It's thanks to Gibson, which at a financial loss; have provided us with the latest version of Sonar. A great work of art.

It seems there is truth in the old saying : "Ungratefulness is the salary of the world". 

Bingo!! Nice to see someone (besides Craig Anderton) view Gibson's place in this with a clear head.

Pain - the absence of things hoped for, the evidence of catastrophes unforeseen.
sharke
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/12 22:56:47 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ttoz 2018/01/29 08:54:02
Bob4u
When GIBSON bought CAKEWALK I thought "very well, now they are under strong arms and Gibson will make Sonar greater than ever.
Now I see.
I swear: I will not buy a GIBSON product anymore.
= Bob Axx =

Give it a few days. Like most of the rest of us, you'll eventually calm down and concede that it wasn't Gibson's fault. There may be many good reasons not to buy a Gibson guitar, but Cakewalk going out of business isn't one of them.

James
marled
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 251
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/12 23:00:17 (permalink)
Kev999
CakeAlexSHere
iRelevant

...there are still some corker bugs (sorry I don't want to get into the specifics it's pointless now). Also some people are using earlier Platinum versions...

Too true! The final release of Platinum has a serious bug that makes it impossible for me to work with. I haven't got time to check out all the different monthly releases, so I'm sticking with an earlier one from 2016 that works well for me. Maybe I'm missing out on a few useful features, but I'm OK with that.

Yeah, I had also some problems using the last version. Before that I had used 2017-06 and this is a fine version. When I wanted to rollback I looked at the update history (what is important for me) and at the Sonar installer files downloaded by the Command Center. And I was really surprised that 2017-09 and -10 (-08 I don't have) are much bigger! Why? Was there already some rumor inside of Cakewalk, was there some hectic rush, were there some mental reasons for new bugs?

It is all speculation, but I am satisfied with the 2017-07 version now. To me it seems it is more solid than the latest. Even if its installer is also a little bigger than the ones before (from 01 to 06 they are all about 464 MB).

Page: << < ..56575859 > Showing page 57 of 59
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1