Helpful ReplyCakewalk Announces Simpler SONAR Prices

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 7
Author
tenfoot
Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2186
Re: Cakewalk Announces Simpler SONAR Prices 2017/03/22 02:17:14 (permalink)
Seth Kellogg [Cakewalk]
In 2017, not using social media is probably putting you at a disadvantage. How much is dependent on what you consider relevant or valuable. I know of 3 user moderated SONAR Facebook groups that are arguably more active than the forums and likely share more user generated content. That result isn't unexpected though, Facebook's whole platform is designed around content sharing and community.

I am an avid facebook user. As a marketing tool it is excellent.  As a support medium it is extraordinarily limited and serves more to give the impression of support via occasional, non searchable random responses than actual useful archived problem solving. In this regard the forum is far superior.

As to user groups that are more active than the forum, it would be great if you could posts links to these pages! A quick search reveals only pages with at best a few posts a day. Perhaps you are using the new Trump system of estimating attendees:)

Regardless, from a support POV, the previously mentioned limitations still apply. A question answered on facebook is useful once, to one person. It is hard to see how Cakewalk's effort spent there is more valuable or useful than increased forum participation.

Bruce.

Sonar Platinum 2017-09, Studio One 3.5.3, Win 10 x64, Quad core i7, RME Fireface, Behringer X32 Producer, Behringer X32 Rack, Presonus Faderport, Lemure Software Controller (Android), Enttec DMXIS VST lighting controller, Xtempo POK.
pwalpwal
Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3249
Re: Cakewalk Announces Simpler SONAR Prices 2017/03/22 13:54:21 (permalink)
yeah, i use fb, reddit, steam, here, but there's no real official place to get an ad-hoc real-time-ish "chat" with someone official from cw, they're all just places they might show up and respond (ratio of "might" to "will" unique to each)

just a sec

azslow3
Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3297
Re: Cakewalk Announces Simpler SONAR Prices 2017/03/22 14:40:26 (permalink)
Some time ago here, in Germany, that was a big implicit Facebook ads on TV. Several lengthy discussions,  explanations, etc. I have started to ask around who is really using it. Most have answered that they have an account, but they use it may be once per year... I mean no one in my family, no one from my friends and no one from my colleagues is opening Facebook more that once per month.

WhatsUp is in widely use because SMS price here is inadequate. Twitter - again no one...

I use Steam. I use Skype (mostly when I help someone from this forum). I am open for new technologies when it make sense. The same I can say about people I know.

Sonar 8LE -> Platinum infinity, REAPER, Windows 10 pro
GA-EP35-DS3L, E7500, 4GB, GTX 1050 Ti, 2x500GB
RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
Brian Walton
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 584
Re: Cakewalk Announces Simpler SONAR Prices 2017/03/22 15:28:56 (permalink)
Seth Kellogg [Cakewalk]
ampfixer
Off topic, but it bothers me to hear that you are using the forum, the bakery, steam and Facebook as conduits for customer interaction. I have no idea what avenue to follow when looking for information. I worry that the limited support resources are diluted and that there is a potential for inconsistent communication.

Follow us where you feel comfortable.

While the forum is really setup as a peer to peer platform, Facebook is much more of a direct marketing tool and needs to be handled as such. During our last round of customer interviews (this past month), very few indicated that they were on the forum, but almost all were on Facebook. It's only logical that we participate in the places where our customers congregate. 

Now, in regards to my main responsibility, Steam is designed to give developers all the tools they need to create/release/sell/reevaluate/update and communicate with their user base. The built in social media platform is critical for success and is the best way to communicate with users on that channel. That said, non-Steam users won't be missing anything by not following Steam, and probably shouldn't as it differs slightly from direct. 

Tying it back to your point of multiple conduits. Steam users may not necessarily be Facebook users as they tend to skew younger. Therefore It would be bad to assume we could ignore the Steam community tools in favor of just Facebook or the forums.

ampfixerI don't use social media. Does that put me at a disadvantage when I'm trying to find out whats going on? I'm hearing that there is more interaction via Steam and Facebook. 

In 2017, not using social media is probably putting you at a disadvantage. How much is dependent on what you consider relevant or valuable. I know of 3 user moderated SONAR Facebook groups that are arguably more active than the forums and likely share more user generated content. That result isn't unexpected though, Facebook's whole platform is designed around content sharing and community.

Curious where the pool of customer interviews came from.  

I don't use Facebook, but perhaps take it a level up...you have to have an email to use any platform.  Cakewalk has an email for all users (also a requirement).  So any broad communication could come via email to hit all users in some way.  

Facebook certainly isn't an idea platform to address customer issues.  I'd argue from what I've seen of the platform it is pretty terrible for that kind of support.  
azslow3
Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3297
Re: Cakewalk Announces Simpler SONAR Prices 2017/03/22 17:40:50 (permalink)
It was written several times already that this forum does not represent the majority of Sonar users and we here are aged asocial oldies
But looking at these numbers on Steam, I hope Facebook is more important platform. Otherwise where is the majority?

Sonar 8LE -> Platinum infinity, REAPER, Windows 10 pro
GA-EP35-DS3L, E7500, 4GB, GTX 1050 Ti, 2x500GB
RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
Seth Kellogg [Cakewalk]
Administrator
  • Total Posts : 814
Re: Cakewalk Announces Simpler SONAR Prices 2017/03/22 17:42:46 (permalink)
tenfoot
I am an avid facebook user. As a marketing tool it is excellent.  As a support medium it is extraordinarily limited and serves more to give the impression of support via occasional, non searchable random responses than actual useful archived problem solving. In this regard the forum is far superior.

Regardless, from a support POV, the previously mentioned limitations still apply. A question answered on facebook is useful once, to one person. It is hard to see how Cakewalk's effort spent there is more valuable or useful than increased forum participation.

Brian WaltonFacebook certainly isn't an idea platform to address customer issues.  I'd argue from what I've seen of the platform it is pretty terrible for that kind of support.

It is a pretty limited platform for support. I don't think you'd find someone at Cakewalk that would disagree.

The reality is we still get direct messages from customers on it and those need to be addressed. We quickly try to move people into our standard support system, sometimes logging internally on a customers behalf. This way there's a bit of accountability and less platform noise.

I know there were concerns of us stretching our support too thin, but we try to organize these social channels as a funnel.

Brian WaltonCurious where the pool of customer interviews came from.

Internal analytics and we asked around.

Brian WaltonI don't use Facebook, but perhaps take it a level up...you have to have an email to use any platform.  Cakewalk has an email for all users (also a requirement).  So any broad communication could come via email to hit all users in some way.

E-mails aren't fallible. A user could use a junk e-mail they never check or a typo. ISP's can also false flag messages as SPAM and other users opt out of communication from Cakewalk. We e-mailed a lot of SONAR users originally in regards to this thread and people still didn't receive it.   

tenfootAs to user groups that are more active than the forum, it would be great if you could posts links to these pages! A quick search reveals only pages with at best a few posts a day.

That's why I said arguably ;) It's a bit of a quality vs quantity thing and post counts don't always tell the whole story. There's a lot of positive sub-discussion and exchanges that take place. Even if there is a difference of opinion. Something that the level of anonymity of our forums can sometimes get in the way of. These groups are also entirely user run, so while a Cakewalk person may chime in on occasion it's not 'our show'.

The Cakewalk SONAR User Group (CSUG) is pretty active. They have 1961 members. There's some overlap with prominent forum users here. It's been growing pretty steadily too with 29 new members in the last day or so.

Best Regards,
Seth
tenfoot
Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2186
Re: Cakewalk Announces Simpler SONAR Prices 2017/03/22 18:10:59 (permalink)
Seth Kellogg [Cakewalk]

The Cakewalk SONAR User Group (CSUG) is pretty active. They have 1961 members. There's some overlap with prominent forum users here. It's been growing pretty steadily too with 29 new members in the last day or so.

Thanks for taking the time to respond, and for the facebook group name Seth - I'll head on over.

Bruce.

Sonar Platinum 2017-09, Studio One 3.5.3, Win 10 x64, Quad core i7, RME Fireface, Behringer X32 Producer, Behringer X32 Rack, Presonus Faderport, Lemure Software Controller (Android), Enttec DMXIS VST lighting controller, Xtempo POK.
Base 57
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 249
Re: Cakewalk Announces Simpler SONAR Prices 2017/03/22 18:34:26 (permalink)
"We asked around"

I clicked that link. The depth of my ignorance continues to be  unmeasurable. I thought Steam was a content delivery platform for games (something that I don't want on my DAW). I had no idea that it was also yet another social media platform that we all must follow to stay informed.

FWIW If you had posted that same letter on this forum also, you would likely have had to call most if not all of us.
As far as the anonymity of the forum; we may be anonymous to each other, but you guys know who we are.
Seth Kellogg [Cakewalk]
Administrator
  • Total Posts : 814
Re: Cakewalk Announces Simpler SONAR Prices 2017/03/22 18:47:39 (permalink)
Base 57
I had no idea that it was also yet another social media platform that we all must follow to stay informed.

As I mentioned in a previous post. If you don't have SONAR on Steam, the benefit of following it will be negligible and may seed confusion for direct users.

Base 57FWIW If you had posted that same letter on this forum also, you would likely have had to call most if not all of us.

We wouldn't have posted the same message here. A direct user replying to that Steam post would not have had a follow up call, since it wasn't the goal of the interview process and would have ultimately skewed our data set.

Base 57As far as the anonymity of the forum; we may be anonymous to each other, but you guys know who we are.

No, that's not true. Anyone can register an account with a fake name and use a proxy to bypass bans.

Best Regards,
Seth
Base 57
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 249
Re: Cakewalk Announces Simpler SONAR Prices 2017/03/22 19:45:34 (permalink)

Nevermind. I'm going back across the corridor for the "Getting Hit Over the Head Lessons".
Brian Walton
Re: Cakewalk Announces Simpler SONAR Prices 2017/03/23 21:43:21 (permalink)
Seth Kellogg [Cakewalk]

Brian WaltonCurious where the pool of customer interviews came from.

Internal analytics and we asked around.

Ahhh...that explains a lot.  Polling the Steam user base can't possibly be representative of the entire user base.  

I'd be absolutely shocked if even 1/4 of the people that bought Sonar got it through Steam...

Of course not sure about your internal analytics component. 
Blades
  • Total Posts : 3246
Re: Cakewalk Announces Simpler SONAR Prices 2017/03/25 13:57:55 (permalink)
Just a quick post to shout out to Seth for supporting me "outside of the normal support system".  While I think it's unfortunate that the way that I got support was by stomping my feet on the forum (knowing that I submitted a bug report - but not realizing that no one would ever necessarily address it without reporting that I reported it), I appreciate that Seth came to me via PM on the forum, where support "is not supposed to happen" and has gotten both of my issues at least looked at by the development team and hopefully on to being fixed.

So - thanks Seth!

Blades
www.blades.technology  - Technology Info and Tutorials for Music and Web
MrFun61
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3
Re: Cakewalk Announces Simpler SONAR Prices 2017/03/27 00:27:02 (permalink)
I sure am glad I got on the lifetime update train during the promotion period :-)
michael japan
Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5252
posted by accident-disregard 2017/03/29 03:48:19 (permalink)
posted by accident-disregard
post edited by michael japan - 2017/03/29 04:49:30

Windows 10/64 bit/i7-6560U/SSD/16GB RAM/Cakelab/Sonar Platinum/Pro Tools/Studio 1/Studio 192/DP88/MOTU AVB/Grace M101/AKG Various/Blue Woodpecker/SM81x2/Yamaha C1L Grand Piano/CLP545/MOX88/MOTIF XS Rack Rack/MX61/Korg CX3/Karma/Scarbee EP88s/ Ivory/Ravenscroft Piano/JBL4410/NS10m/Auratones/Omnisphere/Play Composers Selection/Waves/Komplete Kontrol
Ricebug
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 181
Re: Cakewalk Announces Simpler SONAR Prices 2017/03/29 20:21:05 (permalink)
I bought Platinum in Feb 2015. After one year, I bought another 12 month's worth of upgrades. In Feb 2017, the thing has expired. Clicking on the links in Cakewalk.com, it says my membership ended on 19 Feb 2017. Does this mean I have to lay out another $499 to stay current? If not, please provide a link to point me in the right direction.

EDIT: Nevermind, I found it. $199 for another year. Ouch!

Sonar Platinum / AMD 5 ghz 8-core CPU w/8 GB RAM / nVidia GTX-780 graphics / Roland A-500Pro MIDI keyboard / Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 interface / Komplete 9 Ultimate / Melodyne Essential / Digitech Vocalist Live Pro/ Roland MSGS synth module / Rode NT2 microphone / an understanding wife
richlion821
  • Total Posts : 19
Re: Cakewalk Announces Simpler SONAR Prices 2017/04/02 07:05:45 (permalink)
Alex, as a Cakewalk user from Cakewalk DOS, I think I've bought every version of the highest version of Sonar available every one to other version. In the past there was always something unique about the next version that made you want to upgrade, I haven't seen that in a while. And the price of the upgrade was great $99, $149 and sometimes $199, but not more. After Sonar 3, I  believe I've always had a problem with simple midi and paste, that previous versions did not have. I submitted the problems to Cakewalk but they were never fixed. Cakewalk used to be called Twelve Tone I believe? Last week I wanted to change some chords on a midi recorded guitar, I wanted to cut, paste, copy but nothing worked right, so I had to open a version of Cakewalk X3, and though it wasn't perfect I could copy, paste and move in smaller amounts. I find it hard to update at any price especially at over $200, and apparently this problem was never fixed on the Windows Platinum I upgraded to in 2015. I read on this forum, others still have the MIDI copy and paste problems, and I tried loop dragging. This the only problem I've had since Sonar X. I've also changed motherboards gone back to Intel CPU's, and I still have this only problem. I am afraid to upgrade because I can't see me paying for something that should have been fixed a long time ago, and will I get my money back if it is not fixed in the next version? I really believe if it didn't work in the version I have now it should be fixed for free, it's not a computer problem, and it works at least somewhat on a older version. I love Cakewalk but people should not have to pay for a update with a function that never worked properly and was never fixed. I've bought a lot of software, and the good companies will fix the bugs in older versions, maybe going back to 5 years, with a update or a patch. You guys are cutting off everyone after 1 year, I've never seen this before. I have a problem that never seem to have been fixed, and you want me to pay +$200 with no guarantee it will work right for something I already paid for? No thank you, I'm not feeling it, I feel like I'm being robbed. Patches should be free, I'm sorry, I'm not asking for something new, but only that it works fully like it was sold to be. Rich Greenidge.

Homebuilt computer: Arock  Taichi motherboard , 128 GB RAM, Intel i7 6800 @3.6 Ghz. GTX 1070 video card. 2 monitors on a dual vertical stand, MOTU 24AO interface, 2- Behringer ADA8200's; Win 10 Pro. Sonar Platinum. Cakewalk since Cakewalk DOS. Presonus 32.4.2 AI mixer.

Ricebug
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 181
Re: Cakewalk Announces Simpler SONAR Prices 2017/04/02 19:47:25 (permalink)
@richlion821: I feel your pain, but keep in mind that Sonar is an extremely complex program. They've probably got 7 or 8 classroom-sized white boards, where programmers have scribbled all kinds of stuff that needs to be done. I'm sure they'll get to it.

I didn't like coughing up another $199 just to stay current, but most folks spend 10 times as much in a year on designer coffees. 

Sonar Platinum / AMD 5 ghz 8-core CPU w/8 GB RAM / nVidia GTX-780 graphics / Roland A-500Pro MIDI keyboard / Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 interface / Komplete 9 Ultimate / Melodyne Essential / Digitech Vocalist Live Pro/ Roland MSGS synth module / Rode NT2 microphone / an understanding wife
abacab
Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4464
Re: Cakewalk Announces Simpler SONAR Prices 2017/04/02 19:55:39 (permalink)
I think that a lot of editing features are probably being reviewed right now as they attempt to get ripple editing implemented in Sonar.  This is probably a good opportunity now for them to fix the nagging copy paste stuff! 

If it had been easy, they would have already done it.  The way it works is probably buried deep in the code, making it hard to change without messing something else up.

I am hopeful for a more robust editing experience when they release this new feature!  But I am going to be patient, expecting that it will be released when it's ready.

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
namclow
  • Total Posts : 21
Re: Cakewalk Announces Simpler SONAR Prices 2017/04/04 07:49:23 (permalink)
I hope this time with simpler updates I can understand what the Platinum is!!!

In last year I could have received hundreds of mail asking me to update. The main Q is I do not know what these updates can help what I am doing?
========================================================
Starting May 1, 2017, if you want to upgrade your copy of SONAR to a more advanced edition, you simply pay the difference in the current price.

• If you own SONAR Home Studio, upgrade to SONAR Artist, Professional or Platinum for $49.99 off the regular price.
  • If you own SONAR Artist, upgrade to SONAR Professional or Platinum for $99.99 off the regular price.
  • If you own SONAR Professional, upgrade to SONAR Platinum for $199.99 off the regular price.
  • We will no longer offer discounts for any other editions of SONAR or from other Cakewalk products.
============================================================

So my Sonar X3 Producer would get any discount on any of these upgrades, right?

Brian Walton
Re: Cakewalk Announces Simpler SONAR Prices 2017/04/04 18:15:32 (permalink)
namclow
I hope this time with simpler updates I can understand what the Platinum is!!!

In last year I could have received hundreds of mail asking me to update. The main Q is I do not know what these updates can help what I am doing?
========================================================
Starting May 1, 2017, if you want to upgrade your copy of SONAR to a more advanced edition, you simply pay the difference in the current price.

• If you own SONAR Home Studio, upgrade to SONAR Artist, Professional or Platinum for $49.99 off the regular price.
  • If you own SONAR Artist, upgrade to SONAR Professional or Platinum for $99.99 off the regular price.
  • If you own SONAR Professional, upgrade to SONAR Platinum for $199.99 off the regular price.
  • We will no longer offer discounts for any other editions of SONAR or from other Cakewalk products.
============================================================

So my Sonar X3 Producer would get any discount on any of these upgrades, right?

You have the month of April to upgrade to Platinum otherwise you have to pay full price (usually about $500)starting May 1st.  
GregGraves
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 282
Re: Cakewalk Announces Simpler SONAR Prices 2017/04/04 21:52:45 (permalink)
Something that might not come as a complete surprise, but I am totally confused.  My "membership" expired 2/15/17, so to "renew" Cakewalk I need to fork out 250?  And that $250 will give me ONE year of updates?

I think somebody needs to rethink this process.  I've paid for all the years of Platinum since Platinum came out, and all the versions prior to that when it was Pro Audio.  Someone now thinks I will pay half the price of a whole new boxed set at the music shop just to get a few updates to what I already have over the next year?

I'm not grasping this at all.

I am "Five Foot Wall" on Spotify, Deezer, etc.  Platinum, Windows 7 64bit, AMD FX-6100 hex-core @3.8ghz, 8 gig ram (never use more than 5 gigs), Delta 44, UM-2
[Note: join date reflects inability to migrate old account to new forum]

https://greggraves.bandcamp.com/track/whatcha-gonna-do
https://greggraves.bandcamp.com/track/true-believer-man

coolbass
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 78
Re: Cakewalk Announces Simpler SONAR Prices 2017/04/05 00:01:12 (permalink)
GregGraves
Something that might not come as a complete surprise, but I am totally confused.  My "membership" expired 2/15/17, so to "renew" Cakewalk I need to fork out 250?  And that $250 will give me ONE year of updates?

I think somebody needs to rethink this process.  I've paid for all the years of Platinum since Platinum came out, and all the versions prior to that when it was Pro Audio.  Someone now thinks I will pay half the price of a whole new boxed set at the music shop just to get a few updates to what I already have over the next year?

I am on a lifetime, so this does not affect me.
But I completely understand this sentiment.
Unless I completely misunderstand, this is worse than what Avid is doing.
ampfixer
Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5508
Re: Cakewalk Announces Simpler SONAR Prices 2017/04/05 08:01:08 (permalink)
I still don't understand the logic. Sonar is good for a year and then not so much. Keeping what you paid for is not such a bargain if a windows update makes your paid for version useless. There's a serious flaw in this system. Bug fixes could end up costing you $250 per year. I would hate to run into a problem in the last month of the warranty only to be told that developers expect to have it fixed in the next patch or two. That would seriously fry my grits.

How about this. IF I file a bug report and it eventually gets fixed, I get the patch. Not my problem if Cake takes 5 years to fix it. If that's too much, then let's say if Cake introduces new bugs during your warranty period, you stay current until the problem is fixed.

I'm lifetime, so for a while I'm not worried, until somebody comes up with another, better plan. And let's never think that price increases can be spun as making things simpler for the customer. 

Regards, John 
 I want to make it clear that I am an Eedjit. I have no direct, or indirect, knowledge of business, the music industry, forum threads or the meaning of life. I know about amps.
WIN 10 Pro X64, I7-3770k 16 gigs, ASUS Z77 pro, AMD 7950 3 gig,  Steinberg UR44, A-Pro 500, Sonar Platinum, KRK Rokit 6 
GregGraves
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 282
Re: Cakewalk Announces Simpler SONAR Prices 2017/04/05 13:20:47 (permalink)
The reality is for me, sad to say after all these years of loyalty, that I am done with Cakewalk.

So long, farewell, auf Wiedersehen, good night
[Marta:]
I hate to go and leave this pretty sight

[Children:]
So long, farewell, auf Wiedersehen, adieu
[Friedrich:]
Adieu, adieu, to yieu and yieu and yieu!

So long, farewell, au revoir, auf wiedersehen
[Liesl:]
I'd like to stay and taste my first champagne

So long, farewell, auf Wiedersehen, goodbye
[Kurt:]
I leave and heave a sigh and say goodbye -- Goodbye!

I am "Five Foot Wall" on Spotify, Deezer, etc.  Platinum, Windows 7 64bit, AMD FX-6100 hex-core @3.8ghz, 8 gig ram (never use more than 5 gigs), Delta 44, UM-2
[Note: join date reflects inability to migrate old account to new forum]

https://greggraves.bandcamp.com/track/whatcha-gonna-do
https://greggraves.bandcamp.com/track/true-believer-man

HARDDRlVER
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 121
Re: Cakewalk Announces Simpler SONAR Prices 2017/04/06 01:31:26 (permalink)
Right around Christmas 2016 I started looking to the. Omputer daw as a way to record music. I had been using the Roland VS recorders for many years but felt it was time to put the beast to sleep.
Pro tools. .just the purchasing alone, so many models to choose from. The monthly or yearly payments confused me even more. So no to that. I had tried MOTU'S digital producer and it was ok, but nothing special.
My son's band used studio one, and I was almost gonna bite that burger, until my son said that he used cakewalk x (something) and was very pleased.
Partly from the idea that he could help me along the way...AND at the time cake was running a lifetime updates...that appealed to me. Never paying again to update any fixes or whatever comes my way. Done and done, well that was, until I read the final print after the fact. Of course cake will bring out new 'things' as they did those two most recent items, the eq and...well I can't remember...but these two add-ons could easily been seen as a separate sake item and I wilde understood that. Just because I own waves horizon bundle doesn't mean I should get any new plug in they come up with. Howevee, if they happen to add one to the horizon bundle, I'll receive that free...but then again, only if I'm up to date with my yearly update program.
Back to cakewalk. Not only did you get lifetime updates, but the entry level Melodyne ($99) and three free addictive drum kits ($89ea.×3=267)+($99 melodyne)=$356. I purchased cakewalk at guitar center which is obligated to match Internet pricing. I located an authorized dealer that was selling the same lifetime update package a bit less than g.c. and walked out a happy customer. So I didn't pay much for cakewalk and updates itself if you consider the pricing for melodyne and addictive drums.
It just so happens that Waves was running a killer sale at Christmas on the Horizon bundle (regular $3,999 on sale $999. The last day of the year dec. 31, they dropped the prife by another 10% so i got the Horizon bundle for $901. The Abbey Road Collection was on sale $1,199 which I grabbed for $450.
Again, back to cakewalk. It was mentioned that 'it's highly unlikely' that cake will ever have a lifetime sale again.
My question is;
How did that turn out for Cakewalk? How many customers do they have now under that umbrella. It's certainly a finite-exact number. How many of us are there who belong to this 'once in a life time-frame a lifetime' deal? I'd really be curious to know. And is cakewalk satisfied with the turnout?
I myself feel I was in the right place at the right time. I haven't spent the last 'x' amount of years forking out endless update payments.
However, those who have owned the program for so long, really know their way around the software. I envy you.
I feel that cake should honor these longtime customers who have carried cakewalk on their backs for so long, who have helped to jeep cake alive...they deserve some sort of recognition, some sort of thanks...for making cakewalk what it is today. Its not the engineers, the code writers, the visionaries. It's the faithful customers who have year by year, paid their endless dues, who have preached the cakewalk dream to others who took the dive as well. These lifetime updaters are the true heroes. It is they who enabled cakewalk to come up with the lifetime offer. Cakewalk should look at the user's histories and just pop them an updated version...or something as a thank you.

Just my two synths
lfm
Max Output Level: -53 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2216
Re: Cakewalk Announces Simpler SONAR Prices 2017/04/06 10:18:49 (permalink)
HARDDRlVER
How did that turn out for Cakewalk? How many customers do they have now under that umbrella. It's certainly a finite-exact number. How many of us are there who belong to this 'once in a life time-frame a lifetime' deal? I'd really be curious to know. And is cakewalk satisfied with the turnout?

I feel that cake should honor these longtime customers who have carried cakewalk on their backs for so long, who have helped to jeep cake alive...they deserve some sort of recognition, some sort of thanks...for making cakewalk what it is today. Its not the engineers, the code writers, the visionaries. It's the faithful customers who have year by year, paid their endless dues, who have preached the cakewalk dream to others who took the dive as well. These lifetime updaters are the true heroes. It is they who enabled cakewalk to come up with the lifetime offer. Cakewalk should look at the user's histories and just pop them an updated version...or something as a thank you.

Just my two synths

Platinum users, that also signed up for a new period once - got a killer deal for lifetime update, if it was $99 or so.

Always felt lifetime updates were not fully thought through - what about just announced Mac version users etc?
Were they to get any -  or were you to buy windows verison then and you get lifetime on Mac too, later?

I never understood the greatness of lifetime updates. For me being a customer is a dialog between provider and userbase. Strongest statement/weapon you have is paying again - or not - why give that up?

Imageline had lifetime updates(forever I think). Why were they 6 years later with a 64-bit version than Sonar?????
Anything to do with not enough resources or will or incentive to do that?
I mean you don't get any more money from current userbase, just new ones.

So communicating with userbase is the most important aspect of being a provider, like for a daw. Be predictable, kind of - so you as user can plan ahead. That daw is growing to your needs.

Cakewalk has some work to do on that. I, for one, dare not have Sonar as main daw - I have no idea where they are going - and I have no headroom for what I want to do. Cubase give me that. No matter what project I start from an idea - I know I can finish it in Cubase - all the way to notation stuff.

But Steinberg is not failsafe, I have been waiting now at least 6 months for new video engine - not having to install quicktime of any sort(started doing video last fall). And they were about to drop Windows 7 support on new Halion, but had to back off that with reaction from userbase. But am afraid they might drop the bomb on Cubase too, I have not been able to get assurance when Windows 7 will be dropped. A lot of fuzz to upgrade or get new computer and stuff.

So Sonar is my backup - and might jump on the payment roll if necessary....
Starise
Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7563
Re: Cakewalk Announces Simpler SONAR Prices 2017/04/06 13:39:58 (permalink)
I for one do not believe it's helpful to keep bringing up that there was a window for lifetime updates since that window has now closed. Other windows have opened.

It isn't helpful to anyone who is looking at the software right now, so why discuss it unless you see it as some kind of bragging rights which I think isn't very considerate to those who won't get into it? If you were one of those who decided to sign up for lifetime updates, great! Now lets help those who have other choices.

The general impression I get from some users of Platinum is that this is killing them. Why? All loyal users payed yearly before all of the new pricing structure went down. We all wanted the updates and new features.We liked the new versions rolling out.

Cakewalk runs periodic specials on their upgrade pricing, so you probably can get around paying the full yearly amount on a sale. Right now they have a 10% off sale. Strapped for cash? How many of the others let you pay monthly? If you make 12 payments and can't continue, stop. If you run a more recent OS I seriously doubt there will be any serious conflicts for a long time to come. Jump back into it later on. 

Most of us probably don't use 50% of the features in Sonar Platinum. If this is you, save some money and use Professional or Home Studio instead. They are both very competent programs. I have heard some very pro sounding recordings done on those versions.

This is not as complicated as it seems. You can get Pro Tools pimped for less than Pro Tools. How cool is that?

Intel 5820K O.C. 4.4ghz, ASRock Extreme 4 LGA 2011-v3, 16 gig DDR4, ,
3 x Samsung SATA III 500gb SSD, 2X 1 Samsung 1tb 7200rpm outboard, Win 10 64bit, 
Laptop HP Omen i7 16gb 2/sdd with Focusrite interface.
 CbB, Studio One 4 Pro, Mixcraft 8, Ableton Live 10 

www.soundcloud.com/starise

Twitter @Rodein

Alex Westner [Cakewalk]
Administrator
  • Total Posts : 80
Re: Cakewalk Announces Simpler SONAR Prices 2017/04/06 14:53:08 (permalink)
GregGraves

If you are a Platinum customer and you renew now before the end of this month, you'll probably pay about $199 for another 12 months of updates. You'll have to login to your Cakewalk account to see your price. You see, depending on what products you own, we use a ridiculously complicated table to figure out your upgrade price. This is why we're changing our system to be simple for everyone to understand.

Starting May 1st, renewal prices are half off the regular price. For Artist and Professional, there is typically no change. For Platinum, this amounts to a $50 increase in the renewal price. However we do hope and expect to run promotions from time-to-time to provide discounts.

You're not buying a whole new boxed set at the music shop, and you're not just getting a few updates. We've been consistently delivering monthly updates with small features, big features, and bug fixes. Renewing for another 12 months gives you access to that.

If you choose not to renew however, that's totally fine - you keep the app you have and continue to use it as you have been. You just won't get anymore updates.

At the end of the day, it's on us to deliver enough value to you so that you want to continue to invest in SONAR.

Alex Westner
VP Product Strategy & Innovation

pwalpwal
  • Total Posts : 3249
Re: Cakewalk Announces Simpler SONAR Prices 2017/04/06 15:03:35 (permalink)
Alex Westner [Cakewalk] You'll have to login to your Cakewalk account to see your price.

just to add that (unless it's changed recently) you actually have to click "buy now" to see your discounted price in the basket
/hth

just a sec

HARDDRlVER
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 121
Re: Cakewalk Announces Simpler SONAR Prices 2017/04/06 17:16:07 (permalink)
I need to clarify a phrase I mentioned earlier. I said 'it is the lifetime updaters who have carried cakewalk'...what I meant by that was that it's been the people who have been paying for updates their whole lives...they are truly the 'lifetime' updaters. And it's not so much bragging rights for buying lifetime updates as it is...I almost feel guilty..walking in on the show, and learning what's taken place for so long. Especially hearing current upgrade pricing is half the full price of a new product. That means you're paying the full price every two years, unless I'm missing something
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 7
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1