Helpful ReplyEZ DRUMMER 2

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 8
Author
stevec
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 11546
Re: EZ DRUMMER 2 2014/03/21 15:00:42 (permalink)
That was a really cool video.   While I can play drums and really don't mind programming drum parts, this looks like a way to get 90% there quicker than ever.   And I like that it can all be done in real time and using variation levels that would be next to impossible to actually program. 

And seeing as $99 is likely the starting price for the upgrade, I'm sure I'll be jumping in at some point for what looks to be an ideal songwriting tool.   I can only imagine taking the resulting clips and then trying them out in other drum synths.   Talk about flexibility....

SteveC
https://soundcloud.com/steve-cocchi
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=39163

SONAR Platinum x64, Intel Q9300 (2.5Ghz), Asus P5N-D, Win7 x64 SP1, 8GB RAM, 1TB internal + ESATA + USB Backup HDDs, ATI Radeon HD5450 1GB RAM + dual ViewSonic VA2431wm Monitors;
Focusrite 18i6 (ASIO);
Komplete 9, Melodyne Studio 4, Ozone 7 Advanced, Rapture Pro, GPO5, Valhalla Plate, MJUC comp, MDynamic EQ, lots of other freebie VST plugins, synths and Kontakt libraries

Grem
Max Output Level: -19.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5562
Re: EZ DRUMMER 2 2014/03/21 15:33:10 (permalink)
Mod Bod

How many times have I had a specific beat in my head, gone off on a quest to find a beat to match and after a half dozen libraries give up and change my vision to match whatever beat I could find.

Yes! Exactly!

I have a song that I want it to go a certain way. It's almost a jazzy type feel I want, but with a definite pop rock beat. I have searched and searched, and I have recorded at least 4 different versions of this song, and they are still not what I want. Those versions are not my original song (that I still think is the best version). I just have no drum track with the feel I want to play it to. Everything I have come up with has been good, some versions better than the others, but all are compromises.

With the EZD2 I think I might be able to get what has been so elusive to me.

I'm in. I'd jump in even if there were no extra drum sounds given away. I would take it just on the program alone.

And I can see why Modbod was saying that he wouldn't go back to the old way (ezd) anymore! And I won't have a problem if EZD1 and EZD2 don't co-exist together. Nope, no problem with that at all!

Grem

Michael

Music PC
i7 2600K; 64gb Ram; 3 256gb SSD, System, Samples, Audio; 1TB & 2TB Project Storage; 2TB system BkUp; RME FireFace 400; Win 10 Pro 64; CWbBL 64, 
Home PC
AMD FX 6300; 8gb Ram; 256 SSD sys; 2TB audio/samples; Realtek WASAPI; Win 10 Home 64; CWbBL 64 
Surface Pro 3
Win 10  i7 8gb RAM; CWbBL 64
Grem
Max Output Level: -19.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5562
Re: EZ DRUMMER 2 2014/03/21 15:56:17 (permalink)
stevec

... this looks like a way to get 90% there quicker than ever.   And I like that it can all be done in real time and using variation levels that would be next to impossible to actually program. 

....Talk about flexibility....

Same thing I was thinking when I saw the song creator in action. This is just a much easier way to fine tune the groove the way you want. Much flexibility!!

Grem

Michael

Music PC
i7 2600K; 64gb Ram; 3 256gb SSD, System, Samples, Audio; 1TB & 2TB Project Storage; 2TB system BkUp; RME FireFace 400; Win 10 Pro 64; CWbBL 64, 
Home PC
AMD FX 6300; 8gb Ram; 256 SSD sys; 2TB audio/samples; Realtek WASAPI; Win 10 Home 64; CWbBL 64 
Surface Pro 3
Win 10  i7 8gb RAM; CWbBL 64
strikinglyhandsome1
Max Output Level: -3 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7224
Re: EZ DRUMMER 2 2014/03/21 16:03:00 (permalink)
Cheers, Mod. Keep up the good work.
paulo
Max Output Level: -13 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6218
Re: EZ DRUMMER 2 2014/03/21 16:32:19 (permalink)
Ok, I'm swayed a little. It does have some nice tricks, but I'll probably wait for the sale / SD version.
clintmartin
Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3893
Re: EZ DRUMMER 2 2014/03/21 17:11:49 (permalink)
I may not be the only convert after all!

Cakewalk, Harrison Mixbus 4, Waveform 9, ADK intel i7 2600 3.40 ghz, 8gb Ram, Win 7, Presonus Audiobox 44VSL. 
http://www.youtube.com/c/clintmartinmusic
https://itunes.apple.com/...lint-martin/1010966023
https://open.spotify.com/artist/4x4TBz32i56bTJkgu7b4tN

cclarry
  • Total Posts : 20964
Re: EZ DRUMMER 2 2014/03/21 17:43:29 (permalink)
Rest assured I will most likely get this...just not at $99...

Too many sales and offers and I really don't NEED it so bad it makes my
toes hurt....

But it will go on the "to get" list...

Dave Modisette
  • Total Posts : 11050
Re: EZ DRUMMER 2 2014/03/21 17:52:58 (permalink)
Take the red pill, cclarry.  

We disagree on Addictive Drums.  The interface is nice but for the life of me, I can't get into the way the drums sound.  I installed it on my old computer to check it out and see if it would be cool to use but I don't have any interest in installing on my new machine.   But if I had to choose AD or Session Drummer as a SONAR X3 user, AD wins.

Dave Modisette ... rocks a Purrrfect Audio Studio Pro rig.

http://www.gatortraks.com 
My music.
... And of course, the Facebook page. 
mixmkr
Max Output Level: -43.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3169
Re: EZ DRUMMER 2 2014/03/21 19:52:30 (permalink)
I think it's nice.. owning both EZD and Superior2.  However, as easy as EZD is, Superior isn't like it's opening a 100 page book to use it.  Superior is MUCH more superior and I'd really like to see an upgrade of this magnitude, done to Superior.  This just kinda got EZD closer...especially with being able to tune the drums.  Seems many don't feel that aspect is that important.

I use the electronic EZX, and have to use it in Superior, because to me, MANY of the drums..especially the kicks, just scream for tuning.  Many are pitched really high as well...to high imo.

What I sense, is that many programs are being geared to be "easier"...for the songwriters, etc.  Instead... I would hope I think like others...and would like to see Toontrack take Superior "by the horns" , and give it a makeover.   sizable mixer... view only what's needed...Faster X drum and mic implementation... and MORE drum sounds.  Make the HIGH END program the best.  But I realize probably many more sales for EZD, versus someone that likes to tweak to "get it perfect".

Wonder if the Electronic EZX makeover will finally make some sense too!  Might as well be looking at another universe, as it is!....not to mention the PAIN it is to audition the 100 kicks and snares... NO SCROLLING as of yet!

some tunes: --->        www.masonharwoodproject.bandcamp.com 
StudioCat i7 4770k 3.5gHz, 16 RAM,  Sonar Platinum, CD Arch 5.2, Steinberg UR-44
videos--->https://www.youtube.com/user/mixmkr

bapu
  • Total Posts : 86000
Re: EZ DRUMMER 2 2014/03/21 20:11:30 (permalink)
clintmartin
I'm 8 minutes in and know that I'm buying this!

clintmartin
Extremely impressive video! $99 doesn't seem to bad at all.

+$99

bapu
Re: EZ DRUMMER 2 2014/03/21 20:15:30 (permalink)
clintmartin
After watching the video I feel like I can jump right in with a very small learning curve.

Even a little less for me since I have some experience with EZKeys.
bapu
Re: EZ DRUMMER 2 2014/03/21 20:31:06 (permalink)
Dave,

I imagine that I could use my Alesis E-Kit on a created song to add accents etc. inside EZD 2 in standalone?

I'm not a solid drummer by any stretch but adding fills and accents are somewhat in my wheelhouse on my e-kit. 
bapu
Re: EZ DRUMMER 2 2014/03/21 20:53:48 (permalink)
I may (or may not) wait until a sale especially since I have a $10 certificate from audiodeluxe.

Although I am excited about the product it's not like I am in the same boat as myolpal and modbod who do this to generate revenue.
Dave Modisette
Re: EZ DRUMMER 2 2014/03/21 21:32:55 (permalink)
mixmkr
I think it's nice.. owning both EZD and Superior2.  However, as easy as EZD is, Superior isn't like it's opening a 100 page book to use it.  Superior is MUCH more superior and I'd really like to see an upgrade of this magnitude, done to Superior.  This just kinda got EZD closer...especially with being able to tune the drums.  Seems many don't feel that aspect is that important.

<SNIP>

In a recent project, I tuned the UDU using EZD2 so that it was in the same key of the song.  I tuned it to the 5th of the scale and it fits in nicely with what I am playing on bass.  I've tuned cymbals as well.  Down tuning them to the point of where they are more like a ghostly gong.  Of course, in the past you had to do that in Superior 2.

My music.
mixmkr
Re: EZ DRUMMER 2 2014/03/21 21:41:09 (permalink)
for the "guys that generate revenue"... this tells me that EZD is just fine and Superior isn't really needed...  which is kinda surprising, really.  IOW... how many of the "guys that generate revenue" (and I'm not pointing to anyone in particular now!!  ;-D   )...   would actually write in EZD because it is sooo much easier...and THEN transfer the MIDI to Superior.  For some odd reason, the *sound* of the drums plays a big part in the production for me, that changing them later... especially approaching mixdown... is like changing the electric guitars for a flock of flautists.  Tell Phil Collins we're going to "re-amp" his drum sound at mixdown... we might go for the "dry kit"!  

But really.....aren't we foolishly spending all our extra coin-age on great gear, so we can become great rock stars someday... and why would we want to use the drum program with the training wheels on it, when we can ride the big bike for the same amount of money?... or almost!

StudioCat i7 4770k 3.5gHz, 16 RAM,  Sonar Platinum, CD Arch 5.2, Steinberg UR-44

yorolpal
  • Total Posts : 13829
Re: EZ DRUMMER 2 2014/03/21 21:56:47 (permalink)
I do most all my paid commercial broadcast (I.e. Advertising) projects using what works best/quickest. And that generally means EZD on about 75%. On my own or others musical producer jobs I go into more detail to make sure I'm definitely using what I deem best. And I'm very finicky. And I own most all of the top drum emulators. That said I bet 50% of my projects end up using EZD. Because it is very good, the EZXs cover a range of genres and I love working with program. I have SD2 as well and have even been forcing myself to use and learn it. And it is very, very good. But I still prefer EZD as it too is very, very good and I am one lazy assed sum****. YMMV.

https://soundcloud.com/doghouse-riley/tracks 
https://doghouseriley1.bandcamp.com 
Where you come from is gone...where you thought you were goin to weren't never there...and where you are ain't no good unless you can get away from it.

SPLAT 64 bit running on a Studio Cat Pro System Win 10 64bit 2.8ghz Core i7 with 24 gigs ram. MOTU Audio Express.
clintmartin
Re: EZ DRUMMER 2 2014/03/21 21:58:07 (permalink)
I think I'll be getting everything with EZD2 that I need. I'm sure there is an "almost" dry kit that can be worked with in Sonar using the multiple outs. I don't have Superior 2.0. What does it have that I can't get with EZD2 and Sonar? Are the samples better? Higher resolution?...Serious question.
I was in the process of expanding my midi library when I saw the video. I don't think I'll be needing anymore midi. It seems like finding that groove will now be very easy to create without it.

Cakewalk, Harrison Mixbus 4, Waveform 9, ADK intel i7 2600 3.40 ghz, 8gb Ram, Win 7, Presonus Audiobox 44VSL. 

mixmkr
Re: EZ DRUMMER 2 2014/03/21 22:14:43 (permalink)
With Superior .... just a quick list ....in no order...but you get attack/decay adjustments on the drums...(and the tuning which EZD2 now has) and a bunch of built in FX in the mixer section...nothing special but nice.  I think the biggest thing is the sound of the drums are better, imo and *if* you like "room sound"... you get piles of that, that you can add zero ...to as much as you want.  IOW, if you want to do the Led Zep monster kit in the hallway, you can approximate, where in EZD, I'm not sure you could replicate.  I think the MIDI grooves are a little more "tasty" overall.  That's hard to explain, but maybe like a better drummer, but playing still contained... HH stuff and side stick seems a little more "adult" for a lack of words.  Plus some extra mics, here and there, that you can blend to taste and the mixer...although waaaaay too many channels for the average use... now has busses and such that let you work inside the program, should you not want to do that in Sonar.  Nice presets too from Toontrack, from the full kits, to individual drum, HH sounds, etc

However..IMO...if you like the sound of drums recorded in a nice big, wooden wall'd, famous studio... you'll love the NY vol 1,2 and now 3...which to me are a couple notches above the kits EZD has.  Forget the reverb plugs...you won't need them unless you're doing something really wild.

bapu
Re: EZ DRUMMER 2 2014/03/21 22:16:31 (permalink)
I could be wrong but once on EZD 2 would there ever be a need for TT to create new MIDI content for sale.

I'm sure there will, but will the market demand it?
mixmkr
Re: EZ DRUMMER 2 2014/03/21 22:19:00 (permalink)
oh... another big feature, is that you can layer drums... IOW stack several snares, kicks...whatever... to one MIDI note.  All within the program, versus another MIDI track in Sonar.   It's called the Xdrum feature...  not to mention having the bleed of one "studio" put on another kit recorded somewhere else.  Stuff like that, I don't really do, as room sound is room sound to me... but I do like the X drum feature.  A bit clunky to initiate, but you can come up with some nice sounds... just like you might layer synth sounds.

Dave Modisette
Re: EZ DRUMMER 2 2014/03/21 22:44:45 (permalink)
I have and will continue to arrange in EZdrummer and if I need more power in my drum sampler, I will go to Superior 2.  It's a pretty simple task in all the hosts that I use.

But if I can get away with it on a vanity project for a local guy who fancies himself a song writer and needs me to produce a track for him to sing over, I'll use EZdrummer in a heartbeat.  I haven't had a single artist stop me and say, "Hey, you're using 16 bit samples.  What's up with that?"  

Now if I ever get to the point where what I'm doing is competing for space in CD bins across the USA, well yeah, I better pick up my game.

My music.
yorolpal
  • Total Posts : 13829
Re: EZ DRUMMER 2 2014/03/21 23:13:21 (permalink)
That there's a cup of kool-aid you really don't need to drink Mod, ol pal.

https://soundcloud.com/doghouse-riley/tracks 
https://doghouseriley1.bandcamp.com 
Where you come from is gone...where you thought you were goin to weren't never there...and where you are ain't no good unless you can get away from it.

SPLAT 64 bit running on a Studio Cat Pro System Win 10 64bit 2.8ghz Core i7 with 24 gigs ram. MOTU Audio Express.
mixmkr
Re: EZ DRUMMER 2 2014/03/21 23:36:29 (permalink)
Dang... where'd I put dat dang Squires Bullet Statoblaster??  Needs ta writ me a luv songs I cans sang ta myselves :-D
Darn Fender, 4 bit gitter..

Wadda ya gots agins Walmarts bins??   hum der Yoro?

clintmartin
Re: EZ DRUMMER 2 2014/03/22 08:25:46 (permalink)
mixmkr
With Superior .... just a quick list ....in no order...but you get attack/decay adjustments on the drums...(and the tuning which EZD2 now has) and a bunch of built in FX in the mixer section...nothing special but nice.  I think the biggest thing is the sound of the drums are better, imo and *if* you like "room sound"... you get piles of that, that you can add zero ...to as much as you want.  IOW, if you want to do the Led Zep monster kit in the hallway, you can approximate, where in EZD, I'm not sure you could replicate.  I think the MIDI grooves are a little more "tasty" overall.  That's hard to explain, but maybe like a better drummer, but playing still contained... HH stuff and side stick seems a little more "adult" for a lack of words.  Plus some extra mics, here and there, that you can blend to taste and the mixer...although waaaaay too many channels for the average use... now has busses and such that let you work inside the program, should you not want to do that in Sonar.  Nice presets too from Toontrack, from the full kits, to individual drum, HH sounds, etc

However..IMO...if you like the sound of drums recorded in a nice big, wooden wall'd, famous studio... you'll love the NY vol 1,2 and now 3...which to me are a couple notches above the kits EZD has.  Forget the reverb plugs...you won't need them unless you're doing something really wild.

Well I can see where having both would be best. (Thanks for the info) I will upgrade to EZD2, but I will be surprised if the added features and work flow are not added to SD3 at some point in the near future. It just doesn't make sense to allow yourself to get to far behind, when people will gladly pay for you to keep up.

DeeringAmps
Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2614
Re: EZ DRUMMER 2 2014/03/22 14:01:19 (permalink)
"It's like Toon read my mind for features to EZD. Sold. In. Must I wait for May???"
+$99 here too!
I'm in the middle of a couple months down time, I could use it right NOW!

T

Tom Deering
Tascam FW-1884 User Resources Page
Firewire "Legacy" Tutorial, Service Manual, Schematic, and Service Bulletins

Win10x64
StudioCat Pro Studio Coffee Lake 8086k 32gb RAM

RME UFX (Audio)
Tascam FW-1884 (Control) in Win 10x64 Pro
cclarry
  • Total Posts : 20964
Re: EZ DRUMMER 2 2014/03/22 14:25:40 (permalink)
clintmartin

Well I can see where having both would be best. (Thanks for the info) I will upgrade to EZD2, but I will be surprised if the added features and work flow are not added to SD3 at some point in the near future. It just doesn't make sense to allow yourself to get to far behind, when people will gladly pay for you to keep up.

I have to say...this is on par (almost) with SepticTank..and everyone is oo-ing and ah-ing...AGAIN.

8 years for a version update is ludicrous...

It's a great product, I've had it since the beginning, and at least it was somewhat updated...1.33 currently...
that's not a FAR leap in 8 years, it didn't even make it to 1.5,  but at least they went 64 bit a while ago...and they didn't skimp on the on add packs...but, then again, so was ST...at least Toontrack didn't make empty promises...

But I guess that's what GAS does...people don't seem to care about how companies treat them...
or what the company does...all they seem to care about is GAS and what they can spend their next
dollar on...sorry to be the cynic here...but someone has to see the forest for the trees...

Such is life!

twaddle
Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1967
Re: EZ DRUMMER 2 2014/03/22 14:50:44 (permalink)
cclarry
clintmartin

I have to say...this is on par (almost) with SepticTank..and everyone is oo-ing and ah-ing...AGAIN.

8 years for a version update is ludicrous...

It's a great product, I've had it since the beginning, and at least it was somewhat updated...1.33 currently...
that's not a FAR leap in 8 years, it didn't even make it to 1.5,  but at least they went 64 bit a while ago...and they didn't skimp on the on add packs...but, then again, so was ST...at least Toontrack didn't make empty promises...

But I guess that's what GAS does...people don't seem to care about how companies treat them...
or what the company does...all they seem to care about is GAS and what they can spend their next
dollar on...sorry to be the cynic here...but someone has to see the forest for the trees...

Such is life!

I can see your point large as day and it's cynicism of the most healthy kind.

I watched the video and clearly it's a major improvement on it's predecessor but when you can pick up BFD Eco for $19 dollars in recent sales then $99 seems an enormous amount in reality.

EZdrummer2 seems like a step towards Eco and AD but still it's still some way behind for me but I guess if people want simplicity they'll be happy with EZdrummer2. If EZdrummer owners haven't already picked up BFD Eco in one of the sales then they really should as they'll be ooh-ing and ah-ing for a lot less wonga

Simplicity for me means feature limitations and lack of control and once you get used to either Addictive Drums or BFD Eco (and most of the bigger drum VSTi's) they are both extremely quick and easy to use and of course users don't have to use all the extra control features if they don't wish to as the presets and kits sound great as they are.

As for the effects that come with EZdrummer 2  I have to ask, why did they bother ?
They look like freebies they found on the net although that's a disservice to freebies as most of them are much better like Boot-EQ or Depthcharge Compressor

Steve

Steve

soundcloud  SoundClick  Myspace
Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R, 
Intel i7 930, 3.40Ghz, 
12GB Corsair DDR3 
1TB WD  SATA 6Gb X 2 
Emu- 0404 PCIe 
Sonar X1d Expanded
BFD3 + BFD2 + BFD Eco
Dual boot windows 7, 32 & 64bit
Dave Modisette
Re: EZ DRUMMER 2 2014/03/22 14:57:10 (permalink)
Cclarry, take the Hateraide from your lips and pour it down the sink, Bro.  

Eight years and they released Superior 2, EZkeys and 4 libraries, EZmix and two dozen preset packs, 28 (or so) drum libraries, EZplayer, Beatstation, Drumtracker (OK, that one didn't seem to pan out so well) and a bunch of midi libraries as well - not to mention being the first 64 bit drum samplers to hit the market.

Dude, do you have an inkling of how much work is involved in these products?
post edited by Mod Bod - 2014/03/22 15:10:10

My music.
DeeringAmps
Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2614
Re: EZ DRUMMER 2 2014/03/22 15:42:06 (permalink)
Cclarry,
We get it, you're non-plused, that's fine!
I on the other hand have been using EZD as my goto since I got it; I've never felt it was "dated".
I'm all in!
As to Eco, tried it, big f***ing deal.
But that's just me, I'm not knocking it.
I even "get" why some people love their Strats; but that's way off topic.

T

Tom Deering
Tascam FW-1884 User Resources Page
Firewire "Legacy" Tutorial, Service Manual, Schematic, and Service Bulletins

Win10x64
StudioCat Pro Studio Coffee Lake 8086k 32gb RAM

RME UFX (Audio)
Tascam FW-1884 (Control) in Win 10x64 Pro
bapu
Re: EZ DRUMMER 2 2014/03/22 17:11:33 (permalink)
{tongueInCheek}
According to twaddle there is no point in any other drompler. BFD/ECO/3 does it all.
{/tongueInCheek}

I just could not wrap my head around BFD2 or Eco (own them both) to make them my go to drompler. AD is fairly easy to and I've owned it for several years now. I wish I could really get into Jamstix3 since I own that too. I like Slate's sounds as well as all my NI Abbey Road kits (own them all)......

But again, as a hobbyist I find EZDrummer my go to while constructing a song and now EZD2 looks to be a step up for my purposes.

Like Dave says, after all is said and done I can always route the MIDI in SD2 (and one day SD3 I'll presume) when I want more control.

All in all I have used all my dropmlers in songs except Eco and Jamstix(2 or 3).

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 8
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1