Helpful ReplyLockedHello from BandLab [Updated 21/3/2018]

Page: << < ..1617181920.. > >> Showing page 16 of 30
Author
Kamikaze
Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3013
Re: Hello from BandLab 2018/03/04 05:32:16 (permalink)
FakeItTillUmakeIt

post edited by Kamikaze - 2018/03/04 11:45:11

cparmerlee
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1153
Re: Hello from BandLab 2018/03/04 06:21:25 (permalink)
Noel Borthwick [Cakewalk]
Thanks for the support. I think many don't realize how fragile an ecosystem music software is/has become for many if not most companies in our space.

I share the enthusiasm for this news expressed by so many SONAR users.  I had already taken on StudioOne a year ago because of a collaboration project. And then when Cakewalk was shut down, I adopted Cubase because I did not want to create any more projects in SONAR because of uncertain support.  In this time, I have found both StudioOne and Cubase to have plenty to like.  But I still find it easier to do many things in SONAR.  I have not returned to using SONAR, but I am glad to hear that I will be able to do so without concerns about its future.

I also feel that all DAWs are approaching the point where they really don't need additional core features.  There are, IMHO, massive opportunities to make the human interface more productive and I hope that will be the priority as the product progresses under Bandlab.  I believe I understand the "fragile ecosystem" to some degree.  And much of that fragility stems form 20 products all trying to do exactly the same thing in more or less the same way.  All DAWs I have seen are still stuck in the mold of trying to emulate the traditional hardware studio.  That made sense 10 years ago when people were not very comfortable doing everything "in the box".  In today's world, I just don't think it is as important to model the software as a replica of the old hardware.  Software allows us to work in fundamentally different ways.  And if done well, this can EXPAND the ecosystem, rather than fight for a small slice of a fixed ecosystem.

I look forward to seeing innovations that aren't exactly the same as every other DAW, which allow me to get better results faster.  That's how the product will thrive, in my view.

DAW: SONAR Platinum Audio I/F: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 gen2
OS: Windows 10 64-bit CPU: Haswell 4790 4.0 GHz, 4 core, 8 thread  Memory: 16 GB      Video: GTX-760Ti
Storage: Sandisk SSD 500GB for active projects. ReadyNAS 20 TB for long-term storage

sonocrafters.com
cparmerlee
Re: Hello from BandLab [Updated 3/3/2018] 2018/03/04 06:35:06 (permalink)
losguy
riojazz
I'm waiting with bated breath for more good news.

Oh, English you quirky melting pot you! Yes, "bated", IIRC is a deprecated form of the modern word abated, so as to say "I'm holding my breath". (Which, as a brass player, is probably something you prefer not to do.)

The earliest known citation of the phrase is from Shakespeare's Merchant of Venice, 1596:
What should I say to you? Should I not say
'Hath a dog money? is it possible
A cur can lend three thousand ducats?' Or
Shall I bend low and in a bondman's key,
With bated breath and whispering humbleness, Say this;
'Fair sir, you spit on me on Wednesday last;
You spurn'd me such a day; another time
You call'd me dog; and for these courtesies
I'll lend you thus much moneys'?

OS: Windows 10 64-bit CPU: Haswell 4790 4.0 GHz, 4 core, 8 thread  Memory: 16 GB      Video: GTX-760Ti
Storage: Sandisk SSD 500GB for active projects. ReadyNAS 20 TB for long-term storage

sonocrafters.com
e2studio
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 22
Re: Hello from BandLab 2018/03/04 09:15:49 (permalink)
hello Meng, thank you for the good news, I invested a lot on sonar and this news repays me ... then... WELCOME to TDDFKAS, excellent idea to involve Noel and Ben.

Sincerely
Elix England
shawn@trustmedia.tv
Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2136
Re: Hello from BandLab 2018/03/04 11:30:49 (permalink)
Use the SONAR X3 FORCE! GO...

Studio SONAR X3. Axiom 25 midi controller, DUNE 2, Producer Content, Good Times, Bandlab Mojo

pwalpwal
Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3249
Re: Hello from BandLab 2018/03/04 11:35:40 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Kamikaze 2018/03/04 11:39:28
Kamikaze
FakeItTillUmakeIt

only one of these is spelt correctly

just a sec

townstra
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 118
Re: Hello from BandLab 2018/03/04 12:51:43 (permalink)
Thanks for the update!  It makes sense to change the name and honestly that was the least important thing about it anyway.  It's great to hear what is going on and extremely encouraging.

Regards,
Tracy
Sonar Platinum, Harrison Mixbus 4, Melodyne 4 Studio, Slate Digital FG-X, ARC 2, Windows 10 Pro x64, Intel I7-4790@3.6ghz, 16 Gb RAM, GeForce GT730, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Behringer ADA8200, Prodipe Ribbon 8 monitors, Prodipe Pro5 monitors, Behringer B2030P monitors, Korg nanokontrol, Korg microKey, Samson Graphite MF8, rack full of channel strips and processors, lots of guitars, basses, and pedals.  www.TracyTowns.com
FakeItTillUmakeIt
  • Total Posts : 45
Re: Hello from BandLab 2018/03/04 15:39:42 (permalink)

Yeah, this one

pwalpwal
Re: Hello from BandLab 2018/03/04 15:57:16 (permalink)
FakeItTillUmakeIt

Yeah, this one

can i get a "woosh"?

just a sec

Kamikaze
Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3013
Re: Hello from BandLab 2018/03/04 16:01:10 (permalink)
FakeItTillUmakeIt

Yeah, this one

Spelt is the irregular spelling used interchangeably with spelled outside the US

pwalpwal
Re: Hello from BandLab 2018/03/04 16:13:55 (permalink)
Kamikaze
FakeItTillUmakeIt

Yeah, this one

Spelt is the irregular spelling used interchangeably with spelled outside the US

i did actually consider that before posting and deliberately chose the controversial version, although it's not like aluminium or something

just a sec

Ruben
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 472
Re: Hello from BandLab 2018/03/04 17:08:43 (permalink)
Kamikaze

Also in the U.S.

FakeItTillUmakeIt
  • Total Posts : 45
Re: Hello from BandLab 2018/03/04 18:03:47 (permalink)
hahaha, I love this group.

Way to hi-jack a thread
InstrEd
Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1276
Re: Hello from BandLab 2018/03/04 18:36:41 (permalink)
Maybe we should just call it THE DAW that shall not be named.

Instred
Chicagoland, IL 

Positively Charged
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 744
Re: Hello from BandLab 2018/03/04 18:52:34 (permalink)
Greetings and Welcome/Congratulations.

Now let's get to work.  My list is short, but critical:

1. Bug fixes
  2. No subscriptions.  Subscriptions are the financial version of "death by a thousand cuts".  If you care about your customers/users, you won't do this to us.  "Subscriber" is not a title I ascribe to.  "Partner" is what I want to be, and that's not compatible with the subscription model.  Plus, I've canceled subscriptions recently and it really gives me a feeling of self-empowerment.  It's only a matter of time before others will discover their own super-power and start canceling subscriptions in their own lives.  I recommend that they start with Adobe-everything.
  3. Better screen readability.  Make a configuration page to allow the user to have choices for all UI text throughout the program.  If you want a GREAT example to follow, please see the open source software called "Blender".  In Blender, the user can change menus, drop-downs, titles, window text, help text, and just about everything else.  Then the UI adjusts dynamically, and the user stops getting headaches and no longer needs his reading glasses just to use the application.  All DAWs should follow this.
  4. Please return to the VST plugin standard for all (soon to be formerly Sonar) plugins.  This way, I could use your plugins even if the person I'm working with uses a different DAW.  I am willing to pay for the licensing to make this happen.  Proprietary comes with too many collaboration challenges and COMPLETELY eliminates any desirability in an otherwise nice product or great-sounding plugins.
  5. Change the damned emoticons on this forum.  They're stupid looking, hard to read/understand, and not typeable with customary key-sequences such as ;) :), :(, or :O.

And did I say, "no subscriptions?"  I mean that.  A sub arrangement will chase me off faster than anything else you do or don't do.

Okay, now I'm off to find a Gibson Guitar since this may be the last time I'll ever be able to buy a new one.  I want one without that stupid "relic'ing" they do.  I hate that, it's like paying more for jeans with somebody else's holes in them.  :(
Brian Walton
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 584
Re: Hello from BandLab 2018/03/04 19:40:05 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Zargg 2018/03/04 20:58:00
t
Positively Charged

1. Bug fixes
  2. No subscriptions.  Subscriptions are the financial version of "death by a thousand cuts".  If you care about your customers/users, you won't do this to us.  "Subscriber" is not a title I ascribe to.  "Partner" is what I want to be, and that's not compatible with the subscription model.  Plus, I've canceled subscriptions recently and it really gives me a feeling of self-empowerment.  It's only a matter of time before others will discover their own super-power and start canceling subscriptions in their own lives.  I recommend that they start with Adobe-everything.
  3. Better screen readability.  Make a configuration page to allow the user to have choices for all UI text throughout the program.  If you want a GREAT example to follow, please see the open source software called "Blender".  In Blender, the user can change menus, drop-downs, titles, window text, help text, and just about everything else.  Then the UI adjusts dynamically, and the user stops getting headaches and no longer needs his reading glasses just to use the application.  All DAWs should follow this.
  4. Please return to the VST plugin standard for all (soon to be formerly Sonar) plugins.  This way, I could use your plugins even if the person I'm working with uses a different DAW.  I am willing to pay for the licensing to make this happen.  Proprietary comes with too many collaboration challenges and COMPLETELY eliminates any desirability in an otherwise nice product or great-sounding plugins.
  5. Change the damned emoticons on this forum.  They're stupid looking, hard to read/understand, and not typeable with customary key-sequences such as ;) :), :(, or :O.

And did I say, "no subscriptions?"  I mean that.  A sub arrangement will chase me off faster than anything else you do or don't do.

Okay, now I'm off to find a Gibson Guitar since this may be the last time I'll ever be able to buy a new one.  I want one without that stupid "relic'ing" they do.  I hate that, it's like paying more for jeans with somebody else's holes in them.  :(

4.  You do realize they would lock the VSTs to the DAW, right?  Just like they did for Adaptive Limiter.  If you want to use VSTs and then share projects with effects then you probably need to invest in 3rd party ones.  You say you are willing to pay for licensing, well that is already an option then.

As for buying a Gibson Guitar, complete waste of money.  Look up Heritage Guitars and get something better, and made in the original Gibson factory.  
Karyn
Ma-Ma
  • Total Posts : 9200
Re: Hello from BandLab 2018/03/04 20:01:52 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby abacab 2018/03/04 20:37:50
Positively Charged

No subscriptions.  Subscriptions are the financial version of "death by a thousand cuts".  If you care about your customers/users, you won't do this to us.  "Subscriber" is not a title I ascribe to.  "Partner" is what I want to be, and that's not compatible with the subscription model.  Plus, I've canceled subscriptions recently and it really gives me a feeling of self-empowerment.  It's only a matter of time before others will discover their own super-power and start canceling subscriptions in their own lives.  I recommend that they start with Adobe-everything.

As you mentioned it twice if feel I have to point out that there never were subscriptions...   There was "pay by instalments" for those that couldn't take the full hit in one lump sum, but you always owned what you payed for once you'd made all the payments. Exactly the same as the instalments on your car...

If you meant "Please don't introduce subscriptions like Adobe and other vendors.." then I'm with you 100%

Mekashi Futo
Get 10% off all Waves plugins.
Current DAW.  i7-950, Gigabyte EX58-UD5, 12Gb RAM, 1Tb SSD, 2x2Tb HDD, nVidia GTX 260, Antec 1000W psu, Win7 64bit, Studio 192, Digimax FS, KRK RP8G2, Sonar Platinum

losguy
Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5506
Re: Hello from BandLab [Updated 3/3/2018] 2018/03/04 20:03:54 (permalink)
cparmerlee
The earliest known citation of the phrase is from Shakespeare's Merchant of Venice, 1596:
What should I say to you? Should I not say
'Hath a dog money? is it possible
A cur can lend three thousand ducats?' Or
Shall I bend low and in a bondman's key,
With bated breath and whispering humbleness, Say this;
'Fair sir, you spit on me on Wednesday last;
You spurn'd me such a day; another time
You call'd me dog; and for these courtesies
I'll lend you thus much moneys'?

LOL he could have been talking about Gibson. Now I am curious whether he actually coined the term himself, out of sheer literary prowess, or perhaps was the phrase already in use even then?
post edited by losguy - 2018/03/04 20:36:35

Psalm 30:12
All pure waves converge at the Origin
Westside Steve Simmons
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 196
Re: Hello from BandLab 2018/03/04 20:05:48 (permalink)
I don't so much care about subscriptions. I don't have the Adobe suite but I do use Microsoft Office 360 and like it pretty well since it works fairly seamlessly on all my Microsoft Hardware.
I'd imagine one would need a fairly big cloud to do that with sonar or any Daw.
WSS
SandlinJohn
  • Total Posts : 188
Re: Hello from BandLab 2018/03/04 20:51:07 (permalink)
Positively Charged

1. Bug fixes

I'm not sure I'm with you on using Blender as an example of an exemplary UI. Blender is probably one of the most confusing programs I've tried to use. And adjustable UI is only good insofar as I know what the things in the menus do. In Blender I do not and don't even know where to start fixing it.

Sonar Platinum, Windows 7 Pro 64 bit, Intel NUC micro-workstation with 5th Gen Intel i5-5250U, 16 GB RAM and 1.25 TB Storage, Yamaha MG10XU Mixer USB Interface, Yamaha HPH-MT8 Monitor Headphones, Yamaha MX-49 controller synth
cparmerlee
Re: Hello from BandLab 2018/03/04 23:13:19 (permalink)
Karyn
As you mentioned it twice if feel I have to point out that there never were subscriptions...   There was "pay by instalments" for those that couldn't take the full hit in one lump sum

I really, really hope we don't have to go through all of that again.  It you have to pay continuously (by month or by year) instead of paying for real product releases with clearly announced content, it is a subscription in my book.  I am not interested in arguing about that, and I really hope that Bandlab doesn't do that again.  I am not going to resume using SONAR until I see all the terms.  I already have StudioOne and Cubase -- WITHOUT ANY SUBSCRIPTION.  I will not continue with SONAR if they play those subscription games again.

You are right.  It is just like a car payment.  The last time I had a car payment was a Chevy Vega in 1974.  I have paid cash for every car since then and if I can't afford it, I don't buy it. 

sonocrafters.com
PAL Music
  • Total Posts : 26
Re: Hello from BandLab 2018/03/04 23:21:15 (permalink)
Great news, Big thanks to Meng and Noel.
I'm hoping it's the December update that was in the works.
As for the "Name"?  I don't really care. Why not just call it "Bandlab" and then integrate it with the App.
It could really set itself apart from other Daw's in the form of collaboration, after all Bandlab is a cloud platform where musicians and fans create music, collaborate and engage with each other across the globe. Rather than using Dropbox or other file sharing clouds, it could just be seamlessly integrated. They could even generate money not just in the software updates and plugins but in data storage, offering different storage plans. 
Karyn
Ma-Ma
  • Total Posts : 9200
Re: Hello from BandLab 2018/03/04 23:28:41 (permalink)
cparmerlee
You are right.  It is just like a car payment.  The last time I had a car payment was a Chevy Vega in 1974.  I have paid cash for every car since then and if I can't afford it, I don't buy it. 

My feelings exactly. If I can't afford something I save until I can afford it.  Others, on the other hand, like the idea of paying by instalments.

Paying by instalments is not the same as subscription.

Meng, if you've read this far...  Lots of folk here don't like the idea of payment plans.  (and hate subscriptions even more)

Mekashi Futo
Get 10% off all Waves plugins.
Current DAW.  i7-950, Gigabyte EX58-UD5, 12Gb RAM, 1Tb SSD, 2x2Tb HDD, nVidia GTX 260, Antec 1000W psu, Win7 64bit, Studio 192, Digimax FS, KRK RP8G2, Sonar Platinum

riojazz
Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1337
Re: Hello from BandLab 2018/03/04 23:33:17 (permalink)
I like updates I can decide to pay for.  And I always updated.

Software: Cakewalk by Bandlab; Adobe Audition; Band-in-A-Box audiophile; Izotope Ozone; Encore; Melodyne; Win 10 Pro, 64-bit.

Hardware: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 2nd; Roland Integra-7; TCE Finalizer; Presonus Central Station, Behringer X-Touch.  Home built i7 with 16 GB RAM, SSDs.
Westside Steve Simmons
  • Total Posts : 196
Re: Hello from BandLab 2018/03/05 00:43:27 (permalink)
riojazz

Me too. I had the feeling that the end was near when they offered free updates for life.
WSS
CANNIMAGINE
  • Total Posts : 30
Re: Hello from BandLab 2018/03/05 00:53:58 (permalink)
Welcome and thank you for continuing this great product and group of users. Looking forward to innovative  new ideas.
SandlinJohn
  • Total Posts : 188
Re: Hello from BandLab 2018/03/05 01:48:30 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Zargg 2018/03/05 12:09:37
cparmerlee
Karyn
As you mentioned it twice if feel I have to point out that there never were subscriptions...   There was "pay by instalments" for those that couldn't take the full hit in one lump sum

I really, really hope we don't have to go through all of that again.  It you have to pay continuously (by month or by year) instead of paying for real product releases with clearly announced content, it is a subscription in my book.  I am not interested in arguing about that, and I really hope that Bandlab doesn't do that again.  I am not going to resume using SONAR until I see all the terms.  I already have StudioOne and Cubase -- WITHOUT ANY SUBSCRIPTION.  I will not continue with SONAR if they play those subscription games again.

I paid for Platinum once. Upfront. Not monthly. No Subscription. It was not and never was a subscription. If you paid monthly, that was your choice. 

Sonar Platinum, Windows 7 Pro 64 bit, Intel NUC micro-workstation with 5th Gen Intel i5-5250U, 16 GB RAM and 1.25 TB Storage, Yamaha MG10XU Mixer USB Interface, Yamaha HPH-MT8 Monitor Headphones, Yamaha MX-49 controller synth
bwbalint
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 296
Re: Hello from BandLab 2018/03/05 01:53:50 (permalink)
The subscription model is an absolute turn off for me. Otherwise I am excited to see what Bandlab has to offer all of us!  

CbB latest incarnation, Focusrite Scarlett (2nd generation), WIN10 1809 build,  , MCU pro , Yamaha Motif classic 6 , focusrite ASA one
cparmerlee
Re: Hello from BandLab 2018/03/05 01:56:12 (permalink)
riojazz

My feelings as well.  I have lots of software (like most people here).  I almost always bought the Cakewalk updates before they switched to the subscription model.  I realize that, technically speaking, a person had the right to keep using the software when dropping out of the subscription.  But you would do so without any patches or support, and if you decided to get back in, you would have to make catch-up payments.  In other words, there was a significant penalty for discontinuing the subscription.  I don't like that way of doing business and I will not go back to it as long as there are decent DAWs out there that don't force me to subscribe continuously.

I would like to hear from Bandlab about what they plan to do here.  I bought the "updates for life".  When that was offered, I was pretty sure the end was near.  But I calculated that the offer would probably be less money than maintaining the subscription.

I certainly don't expect Bandlab to give me a free product forever.  I will be happy to pay a fair price if they can show me the value that they will be adding to the product.  The best course, I believe, will be for Bandlab to give a free license for the current product to everybody who was in good standing at the time that Gibson pulled the plug.  Then move back to regular releases (at a fair upgrade price) after they have had an opportunity to develop new content.  I like SONAR.  I would probably pay the usual $150-ish price for a nice upgrade, even if I am mostly using Cubase.

sonocrafters.com
CLopez25
  • Total Posts : 1
Re: Hello from BandLab 2018/03/05 02:05:51 (permalink)
Thanks Meng, 

This is fantastic news! I am really happy to see that my favourite DAW (15 years) will continue to be developed and improved upon! 

Thank you guys so much!
Page: << < ..1617181920.. > >> Showing page 16 of 30
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1