Helpful ReplyLockedHello from BandLab [Updated 21/3/2018]

Page: << < ..1617181920.. > >> Showing page 19 of 30
Author
Saxon1066
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 619
Re: Hello from BandLab 2018/03/06 21:24:39 (permalink)
Why rename Sonar?  It has instant recognition.  Sorry, BandLab sounds like a free iphone app to me, a bit cheesy.  To American ears, it sounds like Blah-blab.

The name "Cakewalk" can go.  That's something fancy ladies did in the 19th Century--walk around trying cakes for the town baking competition--US and British culture.

Pro-Tools wisely chose a name that sounded like you must have it if you are a serious pro.  There is much in a name.

Just marketing advice to my new overlords.

More advice:  Use a vampire BAT emitting Sonar as your logo.  That would be cool.  If you take my suggestion, I want free updates forever, please.
post edited by Saxon1066 - 2018/03/06 22:55:42
kevinwal
Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1066
Re: Hello from BandLab 2018/03/06 21:36:36 (permalink)
Yay!

Kevin Walsh
My latest tunes are at Reverbnation, please give a listen!

EVGA X58 Classified III, 24GB Kingston RAM, i7/970 6 core
256GB SSD, 2TB HD
Windows 10 Build 10586, Sonar Platinum, 2016.03
MOTU 8Pre Interface
abacab
Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4464
Re: Hello from BandLab 2018/03/06 23:20:53 (permalink)
The market is the millions of people running iThings.  iPads are where many of the younger folks are discovering music for the first time.

Even if BandLab lost money producing a Mac version of a DAW, it could be a marketing win for them if those users could be enticed to step up from a mobile gadget to a desktop DAW.  They might be considering Garage Band or Logic on the Mac, before even thinking about Windows.  Why not give them another choice?

Besides, most Windows-only DAWs seem to be stuck with the perception by outsiders as hobbyist only tools.  Cross-platform is a measure of pro credibility (to non-Sonar users).  I don't use a Mac, but I was disappointed in the failed attempt to port Sonar to Mac.  I considered that a worthwhile project, that could have have expanded the exposure, as well as the usefulness of the tool that we all know and love!

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
Kamikaze
Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3013
Re: Hello from BandLab 2018/03/06 23:48:31 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby losguy 2018/03/07 00:29:40
Saxon1066

The name "Cakewalk" can go.  That's something fancy ladies did in the 19th Century--walk around trying cakes for the town baking competition--US and British culture.

It was from plantation workers dancing to win a cake

Kamikaze
Re: Hello from BandLab 2018/03/06 23:57:59 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby SandlinJohn 2018/03/09 16:04:00
cparmerlee
Kamikaze
Are you saying that you think that after crossgrading, you believe the product you have will no longer work after a period of time, say one year?

That depends on what you mean by "work".  If you are able to freeze the OS environment (say by using a virtual machine) and you don't care if any new devices or plug-ins work in the future, then the first Bandlab release should be able to work indefinitely.  But of course, you don't need Bandlab for that.  You have exactly the same situation today with SPLAT.

If you are expecting perpetual support and patches for free, I'm not sure that is what the gentleman meant to imply.  And frankly I would be very suspicious of any company promising that.  They need a business model that will work for them.  To Mr. Meng's credit, clearly he sees value in the existing user base and apparently is prepared to be generous in order to keep that base active.  I think that is wise.  What he may want to do beyond that is something we could speculate on, but I don't think it is good to attack others here who might be a bit more circumspect than you are.

Personally, I am quite interested in this new direction.  The world doesn't need yet another DAW.  A business model only makes sense to me if the "Bandlab DAW" evolves to embrace new market segments or categories.  This is what Ableton did with live performance and it was a good move for them.  Reading between the lines, it appears to me the vision for Bandlab might be to extend the DAW to make it more of a "songwriter's platform" so to speak, rather than a general purpose DAW.  That is the focus of some of the existing Bandlab assets, and one can easily see a synergy between those assets and a "back end DAW".  But I am just speculating.  I'm not making any purchase decisions based on such guesswork.  It will all be revealed in due course.  It could be very exciting, but not exactly what you and others have in mind, if you are just looking for the continuation of the "basic DAW" in the Cakewalk tradition.

I think you have my post wrong then with this post
http://forum.cakewalk.com/FindPost/3735148

A perpetual License doesn't grant perpetual support. It just means you get to use the product perpetually the initial Support Period, typically one year.

Saxon1066
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 619
Re: Hello from BandLab 2018/03/07 00:15:00 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Kamikaze 2018/03/07 00:19:35
Kamikaze

Even more reason to dump it.
LunaTech
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 273
Re: Hello from BandLab 2018/03/07 00:28:40 (permalink)
Kamikaze
Saxon1066

While the term is from the south and timeframe is the  mid 1800's, The meaning does not signify anything to do with a place (residence, work or otherwise) (as I am hoping your allusion references). It is however, related to a ritual or a march or an event where the couple with the most stylish, intricate steps/movements were awarded with a cake. Your summary was however..... interesting.

"Life could capture me with songs of innocence...
And enrapture me with pleasures galore...
Suddenly it could all quickly fade away...
But I'm not surprised any more...."

Sonar Platinum Pro- Win 10 64- I7 6800k - Asus - 32gb DDR4-SB ZX sound card (cd output to mixer)- Toshiba 960gb SSD (OS - Audio APPs)- 4TB Seagate (Storage/ App Content)- M-Audio Keystation 88 Pro - Akai MPD 232 - Zed R16 - PT 12 - A&H QU 24- Axiom 61 - XD 80usb

"When He is all you have, He is everything you need"
Cactus Music
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8424
Re: Hello from BandLab 2018/03/07 00:38:00 (permalink)
Starting back a few pages ago ( before the annoying off topic)  this was mentioned and I've also read it in a few other threads scattered across this forum.
People are assuming that " The new DAW"  will be a continuation of Sonar. In other words the next Sonar Platinum  update.
I think they have made this very clear that this will not be the situation at all.  
X3e was the last of the "old way" Sonar was updated. A new number meant you had to pay, adding a letter was a free upgrade.    Since x3 we changed to rolling updates and you paid once a year to stay up to date.  all 4 versions of Sonar were constantly updated with new code that overwrites your currant version. You can keep the old versions for roll backs.  
November was the end of the line for this. So call it X4 instead of Splat and now we have what would have been X5 under the new owners. 

A totally new DAW running on Sonars code. 
What remains of that code can only be pure speculation but Noels comment was a great teaser and he seems to think we will all be pleased. Out of the last 5 pages that was the only comment worth reading and certainly cheered me up.  And the fact that this first release will be free to all of us is more great news. In the old days it would be the same as Cakewalk releasing X5 and saying it's free just because we like you. 

Johnny V  
Cakelab  
Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
 http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

losguy
Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5506
Re: Hello from BandLab 2018/03/07 00:38:14 (permalink)
Of course, in the modern vernacular, "cakewalk" is associated with something trivial or easy. It was that way in the 80's too - so IIRC, when that particular MIDI sequencer by 12 Tone Systems was given that name, it was to denote ease-of-use. But to the uninitiated, the name also connotes something trivial or unimportant. IMO, imagining myself in their shoes, that's the stronger connotation, so the name really should be dropped.

Psalm 30:12
All pure waves converge at the Origin
HARDDRlVER
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 121
Re: Hello from BandLab 2018/03/07 00:38:20 (permalink)
Cactus Music
Certainly as noted there are many Cakewalk users out there who are oblivious to what has happened. I'd say the majority of software users never join forums. 
And please you folks who are still paranoid?? Why? And the folks making demands as lifetime purchasers?? I guess some people just don't "get it" no matter how many time this is explained. 

One question I do have is what will become of Command Center? We can certainly live without it but it does make new installs go smoother than using manual. I guess it will live on sans any updates. 

What is there not 'to get' when expecting to receive a package I paid for, just as anyone else's package. To deny a platinum lifetime the updates they paid for will actually make it worse on them than anyone else.
Whatever version you paid for, you expect to retain 100% of that package. Lifetime updates were part of the 100% of the package that was included in that version.
So because lifetime update purchasers chose to go balls out on their purchase...for some reason you think they don't deserve the same 100% of their package, as anyone else?!?!
L.U. purchasers jumped on the front of the wagon, but they're to be the only ones who actually get less than what they paid for?!?!

Just my two synths...
bitman
Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4105
Re: Hello from BandLab 2018/03/07 01:19:22 (permalink)
I don't worry too much about LU.

I paid I think 199 maybe for LU and did get tempo extraction which is worth what I paid. I really like what they did with the piano roll there having all my midi strips right there to focus the prv at will. I honesty didn't know I needed that, no i cant image not having it. There are likely many more, oh 2x fx. yeah that makes a bit sonic difference. There is likely more.

So I feel like the bakers and I are square. It wasn't a whole lot of money and for me, SONAR march quite a bit forward from the day I went LU. It seems like the way to go without feeling hurt or disenfranchised which would limit me personally and distract me to do so.

deswind
Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 952
Re: Hello from BandLab 2018/03/07 01:30:34 (permalink)
Whoever offered the lifetime updates owes the users who bought them for any misrepresentation or failure to honor the contract of sale.

But a new company does not necessarily acquire the liabilities of a prior company.
And my bet is that if Bandlab was forced to honor free lifetime updates, that the product will fail and it will be a lose-lose situation.

So the issue is one for Gibson, not Bandlab as far as I can tell.

On a similar note, this is a caution for consumers.  Many companies offer lifetime warranties, but the warranty generally does not last longer than the lifetime.

John T
Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6783
Re: Hello from BandLab 2018/03/07 01:55:38 (permalink)
Saxon1066

Perhaps this is pedantic of me, but this is completely wrong. The Cakewalk was a dance invented by newly emancipated slaves after the civil war. It has nothing to do with British culture, and nothing to do with cakes, and nothing to do with fancy ladies and baking. I don't want to labour the point, but you're dismissing a lot of fairly serious stuff here.

As to whether it will die out as part of the branding of Sonar or not, I'm sure it will die out. BandLab did not buy the company.

http://johntatlockaudio.com/
Self-build PC // 16GB RAM // i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz // Nofan 0dB cooler // ASUS P8-Z77 V Pro motherboard // Intel x-25m SSD System Drive // Seagate RAID Array Audio Drive // Windows 10 64 bit // Sonar Platinum (64 bit) // Sonar VS-700 // M-Audio Keystation Pro 88 // KRK RP-6 Monitors // and a bunch of other stuff
abacab
Re: Hello from BandLab 2018/03/07 02:16:13 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby deswind 2018/03/07 05:09:16
HARDDRlVER

What is there not 'to get' when expecting to receive a package I paid for, just as anyone else's package. To deny a platinum lifetime the updates they paid for will actually make it worse on them than anyone else.
Whatever version you paid for, you expect to retain 100% of that package. Lifetime updates were part of the 100% of the package that was included in that version.
So because lifetime update purchasers chose to go balls out on their purchase...for some reason you think they don't deserve the same 100% of their package, as anyone else?!?!
L.U. purchasers jumped on the front of the wagon, but they're to be the only ones who actually get less than what they paid for?!?!

Just my two synths...

Lifetime updates were cancelled when Cakewalk was shut down by Gibson.  Those license agreements are with a dead company.

Any beef you have about updates needs to be taken up with Gibson.  Get in line with their creditors as they pick the bones ... 

The new owners of the former Cakewalk code owe nothing to former license holders.  They did not buy the company, or have any intent to continue conducting business as Cakewalk.  That is just the way things work when a company stops doing business.

Anything that BandLab offers to former customers for free is strictly as goodwill to retain customers, and is at their complete discretion and free will.

ecafighter
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 12
Re: Hello from BandLab 2018/03/07 02:27:12 (permalink)
Maybe "Moses" would be a good name.  Rescued then went on to be the leader.
paul jenkins
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 346
Re: Hello from BandLab 2018/03/07 04:01:24 (permalink)
WOW!!!..........bloody awsome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Windows 10, 64 bit, intel core i7-6500U CPU @ 2.50GHZ  2.59GHZ......12 gig ram ....Sonar lifetime updates, presonus audiobox 1818 interface, and beringer UFX1604 mixer interface/control surface...... All round musician, multi-instrumentalist/songwriter.....attempting to produce good music.....started on music creator 6 2014, bought sonar 2015....and now invested in lifetime updates......Learning always!!!!Thanx cakewalk and online forum
paul jenkins
Re: Hello from BandLab 2018/03/07 04:21:43 (permalink)
bitflipper
You got Noel in the deal, that's all I need to hear.

Yes, im so excited noel and ben got hired, lifetime updates continue.......wow and wow and wow.....best news ever!!!!

Windows 10, 64 bit, intel core i7-6500U CPU @ 2.50GHZ  2.59GHZ......12 gig ram ....Sonar lifetime updates, presonus audiobox 1818 interface, and beringer UFX1604 mixer interface/control surface...... All round musician, multi-instrumentalist/songwriter.....attempting to produce good music.....started on music creator 6 2014, bought sonar 2015....and now invested in lifetime updates......Learning always!!!!Thanx cakewalk and online forum
Kamikaze
Re: Hello from BandLab 2018/03/07 04:42:46 (permalink)
Cactus Music
Starting back a few pages ago ( before the annoying off topic)  this was mentioned and I've also read it in a few other threads scattered across this forum.
People are assuming that " The new DAW"  will be a continuation of Sonar. In other words the next Sonar Platinum  update.
I think they have made this very clear that this will not be the situation at all.  
X3e was the last of the "old way" Sonar was updated. A new number meant you had to pay, adding a letter was a free upgrade.    Since x3 we changed to rolling updates and you paid once a year to stay up to date.  all 4 versions of Sonar were constantly updated with new code that overwrites your currant version. You can keep the old versions for roll backs.  
November was the end of the line for this. So call it X4 instead of Splat and now we have what would have been X5 under the new owners. 

A totally new DAW running on Sonars code. 
What remains of that code can only be pure speculation but Noels comment was a great teaser and he seems to think we will all be pleased. Out of the last 5 pages that was the only comment worth reading and certainly cheered me up.  And the fact that this first release will be free to all of us is more great news. In the old days it would be the same as Cakewalk releasing X5 and saying it's free just because we like you. 

Did you see my response above regard Perpetual License? Do you agree that a cross grade is likely to be a Perpetual License?

"People are assuming that " The new DAW"  will be a continuation of Sonar. In other words the next Sonar Platinum  update.
I think they have made this very clear that this will not be the situation at all. "

I don't think it's that clear at all that, and you are also making your own assumptions. We all are.

From Noel
"I'm sure Meng will chime in but you can rest assured that SONAR is not going to be dumbed down. The addition of SONAR completes BandLab's ecosystem by adding professional desktop production to their mobile platform.

So to include everything that Sonar has developed, I can't see them creating an entirely new DAW, that's a massive undertaking. I suspect it will be more like the change from 8.5 to X at the most.

melmyers
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 157
Re: Hello from BandLab 2018/03/07 05:28:36 (permalink)

"lifetime updates continue......."

Who says lifetime updates continue? It would make no sense for BandLab to do that, since the money we paid went into Gibson's coffers. We cannot reasonably expect BandLab to continue to provide lifetime updates, because truly, once BandLab rebrands the product, Sonar Platinum's lifetime will be officially over. (In fact, Sonar Platinum's lifetime ended when Gibson dumped it weeks ago.)

Mel Myers
Producer/Songwriter/Voiceover Talent
Sonar Platinum 64-bit/Intel Quad Core i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz 16GB RAM/LGA1155 Motherboard/Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit /Focusrite 18i20/Cakewalk A-800 Pro/UAD-2 Quad PCIe/& a black and white Pomeranian who thinks he's the boss
paul jenkins
Re: Hello from BandLab 2018/03/07 05:38:58 (permalink)
melmyers

"lifetime updates continue......."

Who says lifetime updates continue? It would make no sense for BandLab to do that, since the money we paid went into Gibson's coffers. We cannot reasonably expect BandLab to continue to provide lifetime updates, because truly, once BandLab rebrands the product, Sonar Platinum's lifetime will be officially over. (In fact, Sonar Platinum's lifetime ended when Gibson dumped it weeks ago.)

Sorry, i mis-read about the lifetime updates continuing, the bit about lifetime owners will get the new software, with no crossgrade price etc

MarianoGF
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 63
Re: Hello from BandLab 2018/03/07 06:29:32 (permalink)
Anyway, I guess they will have some surprice for the Lifetime Updates owners. Look when Meng says they consider SONAR users "specially the lifetime fans".
They are planning a new software intended to new and younger customers. We, the existing and over 35 years old users, doesn't represent the goal market for the new DAW. Also, most of us have tried these days BandLab and we discovered that is a really cool idea, and we have recommended it to some people, so I think one of the collateral objectives of BandLab Technologies on acquiring Cakewalk is being already accomplished.
clintmartin
Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3893
Re: Hello from BandLab 2018/03/07 12:43:20 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby abacab 2018/03/07 14:40:32
I'll guess they re-name Sonar and re-release the current version free to all who had a current Sonar license.
After that it will cost something for future releases. It should. 

Cakewalk, Harrison Mixbus 4, Waveform 9, ADK intel i7 2600 3.40 ghz, 8gb Ram, Win 7, Presonus Audiobox 44VSL. 
http://www.youtube.com/c/clintmartinmusic
https://itunes.apple.com/...lint-martin/1010966023
https://open.spotify.com/artist/4x4TBz32i56bTJkgu7b4tN

astaub
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 46
Re: Hello from BandLab 2018/03/07 14:27:37 (permalink)
Sonar Platinum includes Melodyne and other deals.I do not think a Sonar Home user will receive all of these products from BandLab. I suspect there will be a full Sonar for all but without these accessory products. The BandLab DAW will simply be compatible with these additional products, but without the addition of these additives.  ?  ...

Cakewalk Sonar Platinum (Lifetime), Cakewalk by BandLab (Beta), Steinberg UR28M, Windows 8.1 , Notion 6 (Presonus), Dorico 1.2x (Steinberg), Cubase 9.5.x Pro. , Studio One 3.5x (Presonus),  WaveLab Pro 9.5.x (Steinberg) Halion 6.x 
abacab
Re: Hello from BandLab 2018/03/07 14:43:22 (permalink)
paul jenkins

Sorry, i mis-read about the lifetime updates continuing, the bit about lifetime owners will get the new software, with no crossgrade price etc

I assume it means 'one more update', on the house....  After that we're only guessing... 

Skyline_UK
Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2133
Re: Hello from BandLab 2018/03/07 14:55:20 (permalink)
astaub
Sonar Platinum includes Melodyne and other deals.I do not think a Sonar Home user will receive all of these products from BandLab. I suspect there will be a full Sonar for all but without these accessory products. The BandLab DAW will simply be compatible with these additional products, but without the addition of these additives.  ?  ...

Having bought the assets of Sonar that might include the rights agreed with Celemony for the Melodyne integration, etc. Maybe one of the myriad bits and pieces involved in the detailed negotiations. Or those agreements might have had a 'sunset' clause if Cakewalk disposed of Sonar.  All will become apparent. I'm just glad the core Sonar we know and love is saved.

My stuff

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600 @ 3.4GHz, 4 cores, 8 threads, 16GB RAM.
OS & Programs drive: 240GB SSD
Data drives: 1 x 1TB drive RAID mirrored, plus extra 1TB data drive 
Windows 10 Home 64 bit
Cakewalk by BandLab 64 bit, Studio One 3, 
Band In A Box 2016, Ozone 8
+ too many other plugins
BandLab page
pwalpwal
Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3249
Re: Hello from BandLab 2018/03/07 15:03:31 (permalink)
i reckon the 3rd party deals don't count as IP, rather operations, so i'd be surprised if they're included for new users... but of course if you have them already, you have them already, unless they're locked to "classic" sonar

just a sec

abacab
Re: Hello from BandLab 2018/03/07 15:20:07 (permalink)
As far as I know the Celemony license, as with the XLN Audio license, was a code that you received from Cakewalk for redemption at the vendors website.  You set up an account with them and that is where your license lives.

I installed Tracktion Waveform 8 last year, which included another Melodyne Essential license, but discovered that the one I had already installed in Sonar was recognized.  No need to add a 2nd license, as the original was not locked to the DAW. 

pwalpwal
Re: Hello from BandLab 2018/03/07 15:22:54 (permalink)
well exactly, if the 3rd party plugin is installed and licensed and working already...

just a sec

Westside Steve Simmons
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 196
Re: Hello from BandLab 2018/03/07 17:57:04 (permalink)
I would bet any of the companies giving away a limited edition of their software are doing so hoping that you will pull the trigger on the full version.
WSS
pwalpwal
Re: Hello from BandLab 2018/03/07 18:21:57 (permalink)
Westside Steve Simmons
I would bet any of the companies giving away a limited edition of their software are doing so hoping that you will pull the trigger on the full version.
WSS

definitely, the gateway version... also, there's a difference between a host-locked limited edition, and a generic le that's host-agnostic, but they're both offering that discounted upgrade to the full version (all those threads asking "which plugins work in other hosts?")

just a sec

Page: << < ..1617181920.. > >> Showing page 19 of 30
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1