Helpful ReplyLockedHello from BandLab [Updated 21/3/2018]

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 8 of 30
Author
Rbh
Max Output Level: -52 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2349
Re: Hello from BandLab 2018/02/24 19:52:06 (permalink)
bitflipper
You got Noel in the deal, that's all I need to hear.

Absolutely - essential to carry Sonar forward and keep it compatible backwards.  Thank you Meng for speaking for BandLab and stepping into ownership of Sonar / Cakewalk I.P. We have been hoping for the best but planning for the worst for a while now. Feels good to have a path forward for us long time users. I've been using Twelve tone , Cakewalk products for over 25 years and I'm looking forward to investing in a future with Sonar. It's just too good to watch it vaporize.

I7 930 2.8 Asus PDX58D
12 Gig
Appollo
CbB, Sonar Pro, Reaper, Samplitude, MixBuss
 Win7 Pro

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=902832
ampfixer
Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5508
Re: Hello from BandLab 2018/02/24 20:29:33 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby DannyDee 2018/02/25 00:18:01
I fail to see why people are treating this as a huge act of kindness. It's not.
This is not a gift, and it's not a reason for us to celebrate yet. This is about a couple of guys that are happy to have found jobs and a bunch of other people that think they can take a product that has been historically not profitable and turn it around.
I have moved on, and as a lifetime member I'm interested, but that's it. The new owners have to win me back at this point. I have expended time and money, and not a little bit of stress on Sonar over the years. If the new product comes out fairly quickly and they make a compelling case for returning I'll look at it. 
I don't give it up as easily as the rest of you.

Regards, John 
 I want to make it clear that I am an Eedjit. I have no direct, or indirect, knowledge of business, the music industry, forum threads or the meaning of life. I know about amps.
WIN 10 Pro X64, I7-3770k 16 gigs, ASUS Z77 pro, AMD 7950 3 gig,  Steinberg UR44, A-Pro 500, Sonar Platinum, KRK Rokit 6 
SandlinJohn
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 188
Re: Hello from BandLab 2018/02/24 20:36:57 (permalink)
ampfixer
This is not a gift, and it's not a reason for us to celebrate yet. This is about a couple of guys that are happy to have found jobs and a bunch of other people that think they can take a product that has been historically not profitable and turn it around.
I have moved on, and as a lifetime member I'm interested, but that's it. The new owners have to win me back at this point. I have expended time and money, and not a little bit of stress on Sonar over the years. If the new product comes out fairly quickly and they make a compelling case for returning I'll look at it. 

They will not be taking the product that was not successful and turning it around. That product is history.

If I were BandLab looking for unique and innovative IP, Cakwalk's SONAR is a prime candidate I'd look at to mine ideas and functioning code from. I imagine they'll take what they can from SONAR and implement the things that separated SONAR from the crowd into their own DAW.

They can leave out the bits that had the worst reputation for flaws.

Sonar Platinum, Windows 7 Pro 64 bit, Intel NUC micro-workstation with 5th Gen Intel i5-5250U, 16 GB RAM and 1.25 TB Storage, Yamaha MG10XU Mixer USB Interface, Yamaha HPH-MT8 Monitor Headphones, Yamaha MX-49 controller synth
h3kke
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 39
Re: Hello from BandLab 2018/02/24 20:40:57 (permalink)
ampfixer

Oooo... Playing hard to get... you naughty tease
ampfixer
Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5508
Re: Hello from BandLab 2018/02/24 20:56:05 (permalink)
Well I did join up over at BandLab to see what they are doing. They have an online DAW and a phone app. Their DAW will benefit from Sonar's lineage and their app will benefit from Momentum's tech. If the new product is an enhanced version of what they have now, it won't interest me. It won't interest anyone that wants to work offline.

It's just wait and see. Right now you can sign up and use their stuff for free so you may want to check it out.

Regards, John 
 I want to make it clear that I am an Eedjit. I have no direct, or indirect, knowledge of business, the music industry, forum threads or the meaning of life. I know about amps.
WIN 10 Pro X64, I7-3770k 16 gigs, ASUS Z77 pro, AMD 7950 3 gig,  Steinberg UR44, A-Pro 500, Sonar Platinum, KRK Rokit 6 
yummay
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 396
Re: Hello from BandLab 2018/02/24 20:58:13 (permalink)

They can leave out the bits that had the worst reputation for flaws.

I, for one, am absolutely counting on this, even if it means in the short run that some features that I do like might be removed BUT only if they seem dedicated to put them back in, with an improved code, in the long ( or even very long) run. Anyways, we'll still have Splat to complete older projects...

Yummay,
Amuses-gueules sonores
Bite-sized sounds and harmonic entrées

Dell Studio 1747 (I7), Tascam US20x20, Yamaha 01v96V2 / Behringer ADA 8000, Godin LGXT+ Roland GR-09, Behringer Motor 49. Windows 10 (64), Sonar Platinum, Komplete 10, Sound Forge 10, Vegas pro 9, Waves Gold.
msmcleod
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 920
Re: Hello from BandLab 2018/02/24 20:59:36 (permalink)
ampfixer

It wasn't Sonar that wasn't profitable, it was Cakewalk as a company who were no doubt in part restricted in their efforts to turn things around by Gibson's own financial pressures.

The DAW market is pretty niche, so there's only so many people you can sell to. Sonar's user base is already huge, with a lot of mature users who may be reluctant (for whatever reason) to upgrade to the latest and greatest. I half include myself in this, as although I did upgrade, I was pretty much stuck into my Sonar 8.5 workflow and found Sonar X1/X2/X3/PLAT very frustrating in the way somethings were moved around. It's only now that my daughter has started school that I've been able to invest some time into learning it thoroughly, and I'm now appreciating just how good it is.

Sonar is a great product, and I'm personally delighted with the news.

M.
Skyline_UK
Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2133
Re: Hello from BandLab 2018/02/24 21:14:27 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby DannyDee 2018/02/25 00:32:16
ampfixer
Well I did join up over at BandLab to see what they are doing. They have an online DAW and a phone app. Their DAW will benefit from Sonar's lineage and their app will benefit from Momentum's tech. If the new product is an enhanced version of what they have now, it won't interest me. It won't interest anyone that wants to work offline.

It's just wait and see. Right now you can sign up and use their stuff for free so you may want to check it out.

Yes, I joined* also and had a look around. I'm not sure their demographic (iPhone loop tinkerers?) overlaps much with Sonar's - more serious, often professional, musicians/studio owners. Their free 'DAW' is a toy. It would be nice to think they want to take Sonar and make it a 'premium DAW' option for which their members will pay for. But will their demographic want to do that? And if they did, might they shop around for a different 'proper' DAW? Or will New Sonar be re-launched to a separate marketplace (the pukka DAW market) and be another string to BandLab's bow?
No doubt all will become clearer in time!

* Not impressed so far. Joined the Blues community and there's no blues to speak of, but a lot of rap/bip-bop-beep pop loop-y junk there from deluded amateurs presumably posting all over the place to get 'discovered'.  Each community header includes: a notice:- "relevant posts only! Others will be deleted :-)" but that's not happening. It seems like a totally unruly playground to me full of wannabes. 

My stuff

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600 @ 3.4GHz, 4 cores, 8 threads, 16GB RAM.
OS & Programs drive: 240GB SSD
Data drives: 1 x 1TB drive RAID mirrored, plus extra 1TB data drive 
Windows 10 Home 64 bit
Cakewalk by BandLab 64 bit, Studio One 3, 
Band In A Box 2016, Ozone 8
+ too many other plugins
BandLab page
Cactus Music
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8424
Re: Hello from BandLab 2018/02/24 21:15:32 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby DannyDee 2018/02/25 00:32:36
Just logged on to the Bandlab site-- It's everything I would hate about a "music" site. Defiantly not aimed at us old farts.  Oh well. as long as they keep our server running that's all that really matters. 

Johnny V  
Cakelab  
Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
 http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

tobiaslindahl
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 149
Re: Hello from BandLab 2018/02/24 21:28:22 (permalink)
Some neysayers here. Going from certain death 2 days ago to atleast a glimmer of hope is progress of sorts imo. If it plays out to be awesome and great reamains to be seen, but you can be a glass half full/half empty kind of guy, and I choose the former until I am proven wrong. 
Lets see how things plays out before singing the doom and gloom anthem ... 
Skyline_UK
Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2133
Re: Hello from BandLab 2018/02/24 21:30:28 (permalink)
Cactus Music
Just logged on to the Bandlab site-- It's everything I would hate about a "music" site. Defiantly not aimed at us old farts.  Oh well. as long as they keep our server running that's all that really matters. 

Agreed! I'll be intrigued to see how they resolve the obvious dichotomy here.  I hope it's not by just stripping out goodies from the Sonar code and stitching into their free, er, 'DAW'.

My stuff

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600 @ 3.4GHz, 4 cores, 8 threads, 16GB RAM.
OS & Programs drive: 240GB SSD
Data drives: 1 x 1TB drive RAID mirrored, plus extra 1TB data drive 
Windows 10 Home 64 bit
Cakewalk by BandLab 64 bit, Studio One 3, 
Band In A Box 2016, Ozone 8
+ too many other plugins
BandLab page
telecharge
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1180
Re: Hello from BandLab 2018/02/24 21:44:35 (permalink)
I know some of you guys will grumble no matter what happens, but I'm glad to see Cakewalk acquired by BandLab -- who appears to care about music making and collaboration -- rather than being auctioned off or liquidated in some Gibson bankruptcy fire sale.

It's still early days for cross-platform apps, but I can see potential in a cross-platform SONAR Home Studio type of app that integrates BandLab's cloud/collaboration tech and Cakewalk's Momentum app.

Fingers crossed for cool stuff to come!
doksan
  • Total Posts : 8
Re: Hello from BandLab 2018/02/24 21:44:39 (permalink)
What a community...! 
cedclassic
  • Total Posts : 2
Re: Hello from BandLab 2018/02/24 21:53:07 (permalink)
Really appreciate the effort,

I just so happened to login and see the good news because nothing has been able to fill the void for me .  Eager to see how it evolves!

TheSteven
Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2037
Re: Hello from BandLab 2018/02/24 22:10:49 (permalink)
wetdentist
finally someone has come along to release Project 5 version 3!

Lol - but I'd still buy it!

"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils" Loius-Hector Berlioz

www.AgitatedState.com MenuMagic - plug-in management powertools!
My Tunes
mumpcake
Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1609
Re: Hello from BandLab 2018/02/24 22:22:16 (permalink)
So would I!
InstrEd
Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1276
Re: Hello from BandLab 2018/02/24 22:36:09 (permalink)
Me too

Instred
Chicagoland, IL 

wm25burke
  • Total Posts : 1
Re: Hello from BandLab 2018/02/24 22:50:21 (permalink)
I've been collaborating for fun on BandHub, which has no DAW integration and no ability to upload tracks created with a DAW.  Everything has to be recorded with their app and uploaded to the cloud.  Meh!

BandLab + SONAR is going to be a huge improvement over that experience. 

Looking forward to the collaborative future! 

Noel Borthwick [Cakewalk]
Cakewalk Staff
  • Total Posts : 6475
Re: Hello from BandLab 2018/02/24 22:58:25 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby John T 2018/02/24 23:05:58
ampfixer

Hi John,

I'm sure Meng will chime in but you can rest assured that SONAR is not going to be dumbed down. The addition of SONAR completes BandLab's ecosystem by adding professional desktop production to their mobile platform.

Regarding BandLab you have to understand what its designed for and the target audience. Its a mobile platform intended to be easy to use and collaborative. Its actually way more evolved than Momentum and has the right balance of editing, capture, social and collaboration tools. For many that's all they need and a DAW would be overwhelming.  I personally find web/mobile applications that try to do too much counter productive since advanced editing is not what most people use such devices for. 

Noel Borthwick
Senior Manager Audio Core, BandLab
My Blog, Twitter, BandLab Profile
fuyukai
  • Total Posts : 1
Re: Hello from BandLab 2018/02/24 23:18:03 (permalink)
Why all the negativity?

I'm glad that at least there's a chance someone will be keeping the lights on so that there is a hope that when Microsoft makes it changes to Windows there is a chance that Sonar will be updated to address those alterations. That's something I thought wasn't going to be in the cards.

There are old farts like me who have been using Cakewalk since Windows 3.1 (and even before that). Somehow I managed to move on from Lotus 123 and WordPerfect but not Cakewalk along the way. Anyway, let's just say I see a glimmer of hope and that is good enough for me.
RajahP
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 98
Re: Hello from BandLab 2018/02/24 23:24:54 (permalink)
Noel Borthwick [Cakewalk]
ampfixer

Hi John,

I'm sure Meng will chime in but you can rest assured that SONAR is not going to be dumbed down. The addition of SONAR completes BandLab's ecosystem by adding professional desktop production to their mobile platform.

Regarding BandLab you have to understand what its designed for and the target audience. Its a mobile platform intended to be easy to use and collaborative. Its actually way more evolved than Momentum and has the right balance of editing, capture, social and collaboration tools. For many that's all they need and a DAW would be overwhelming.  I personally find web/mobile applications that try to do too much counter productive since advanced editing is not what most people use such devices for. 

Well did not know BandLab has an iOS presence, that is a plus for people like me who are into the IPad music making thing.. Hope to see Sonar with Ableton Link going forward..

Thanks..
h3kke
Re: Hello from BandLab 2018/02/24 23:27:28 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Noel Borthwick [Cakewalk] 2018/02/25 00:30:44
Imagine if the cloud and desktop were seamless. You have an idea while you're walking, tap out the basic harmony on the cloud, go home and fire up Sonar and work on it on your desktop, your laptop is synced when you work on it at the park, etc. You can share and collaborate with other people. That would be pretty awesome.
John T
Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6783
Re: Hello from BandLab 2018/02/24 23:29:31 (permalink)
rlared
Imagine if the cloud and desktop were seamless. You have an idea while you're walking, tap out the basic harmony on the cloud, go home and fire up Sonar and work on it on your desktop, your laptop is synced when you work on it at the park, etc. That would be pretty awesome.

Yeah, that's the main thing I'm expecting to see first, really. Integration with the BandLab eco-system. I'm all for it.

http://johntatlockaudio.com/
Self-build PC // 16GB RAM // i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz // Nofan 0dB cooler // ASUS P8-Z77 V Pro motherboard // Intel x-25m SSD System Drive // Seagate RAID Array Audio Drive // Windows 10 64 bit // Sonar Platinum (64 bit) // Sonar VS-700 // M-Audio Keystation Pro 88 // KRK RP-6 Monitors // and a bunch of other stuff
h3kke
Re: Hello from BandLab 2018/02/24 23:30:54 (permalink)
Once someone nails that, desktop DAWs without cloud integration are going to seem really restricted and limited.
RajahP
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 98
Re: Hello from BandLab 2018/02/24 23:43:44 (permalink)
rlared
Imagine if the cloud and desktop were seamless. You have an idea while you're walking, tap out the basic harmony on the cloud, go home and fire up Sonar and work on it on your desktop, your laptop is synced when you work on it at the park, etc. You can share and collaborate with other people. That would be pretty awesome.

Bud, do you leave home without your phone?

If I am understanding you.. This is what WE are already doing.. but the problem is, these companies have their interest into either desktop or iOS, so integration is a peter.. hopefully BandLab will bridge the gap..

https://youtu.be/XllIqoyc6P8
Kamikaze
Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3013
Re: Hello from BandLab 2018/02/25 00:05:44 (permalink)
Skyline_UK

Yes, I joined*

* Not impressed so far. Joined the Blues community and there's no blues to speak of,

Not quite 'no blues'
https://www.bandlab.com/nborthwick

abacab
Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4464
Re: Hello from BandLab 2018/02/25 00:10:02 (permalink)
TheSteven
wetdentist
finally someone has come along to release Project 5 version 3!

Lol - but I'd still buy it!

You are not alone! 

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
FabUrcSA
  • Total Posts : 14
Re: Hello from BandLab 2018/02/25 00:30:04 (permalink)
YES, thank you. From a long user of this software. THANK YOU.
From Argentina, i'm very happy for this new.

Gracias TOTALES.-

datahongmen
  • Total Posts : 5
Re: Hello from BandLab 2018/02/25 00:33:47 (permalink)
Welcome Meng and keeping it alive!Glad to hear Noel and Ben are joining the team too.
happy chinese new year 恭喜发财
bluebeat1313
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 122
Re: Hello from BandLab 2018/02/25 00:41:18 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Noel Borthwick [Cakewalk] 2018/02/25 03:18:31
Hello Meng.
Thank you!
I am hopeful that Cakewalk finally found a friend who cares. 

Meng, if you are reading this.... One of major reasons for my last Sonar DAW purchase was that it has touch compatibility for zooming and navigating tracks.  Many people who use Sonar are a bit older than me, and do not care about this feature as much as I do, because they use it in more professional, stationary ways. However, I strongly believe that developing these touch features further is very important with growing interest in touch screens and controllers. 

Best regards,
Michael.

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 8 of 30
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1