Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 30
Author
Meng
Administrator
  • Total Posts : 96
2018/02/23 17:03:30 (permalink)

Hello from BandLab [Updated 21/3/2018]

Hello everyone :-)

I hope you don't mind me jumping in and writing a note to everyone here. The positive messages (with many questions of course!) have been really kind and I believe I speak for everyone on the BandLab team in saying thank you.  This community is really incredible and we're honoured to be here and to be part of building the future of Cakewalk and SONAR. 

We're now in the process of transition and migration of data, trademarks, build processes and other fun administrative things that are necessary when deals like this happen - but it's important for you all to know that we feel that the people in the community (especially the lifetime fans and users of the product) are the reason this incredible product has been around for more than 30 years and will live on many more into the future, so I'll try and stop in personally as much as I can to say hello and make sure questions are answered about the transition where possible.

An important thing we strongly believe in is to be as open and transparent as we are able to be - once the product roadmap and more information on our plans are ready within the new establishment, you guys will be the first to know. We'll keep updating the Announcement FAQ as often as we have something to update, but I quickly wanted to address a key concern I saw in and amongst the threads so far and immediately reassure everyone that even though the suite of Cakewalk & SONAR products is now within a new company, our steadfast goal is that former SONAR owners (of all versions) will not need to spend any money to cross-over/cross-grade to the future flagship product. 

As you can imagine, there is some complexity in this, and I am currently personally working through all of the agreements that have a $ per unit or % dollar amount and negotiating to remove them on the go-forward to ensure this is possible. We only have 2 left to go - they are specific replaceable bits of code and are a nice to have, but hopefully this moves quickly. If it's not something that can be achieved, we'll replace them with either our own technology or work with other partners who want to be part of future releases.

This may be TMI, but I thought it may be valuable for you guys to have some insight on what's already going on outside of changing passwords and rebuilding tables. 

----

In other news, I'm also very happy to let you guys know that Noel Borthwick and Ben Staton will be joining our engineering team and we're actively looking for talent to expand our team further (PM if interested!).

I was very fortunate to get to know Noel through the process, and as our conversations developed I was very pleased to find someone whose experience and personal vision on the world of music creation matched the aggressive one that our team has here at BandLab Technologies. It didn't hurt either that he promised to teach me jazz guitar...  

With Ben, his passion for the project and personal story of joining Cakewalk from having started off as being a superfan really resonated with us and I'm very much looking foward to working with him too. We strongly believe that the best products come from thinking solely about what one would want as a user/consumer - it's a huge advantage to be one yourself.

There's a lot more we'll be able to share soon, and reading through all the posts here and around the web - I've seen nothing but love (famous last words ) for Cakewalk, SONAR and the community that has supported it over the years through good times and bad.

I think I'd better not say anymore, we'd rather under-promise and over-deliver, than over-promise and let you guys down.  I hope you'll give our team a chance to earn your respect and for us to make great music together for many years to come.

With sincere regards,

Meng

p.s I will take responsibility for mistakenly coding in "Hello, Bakers"!!  It won't happen again... 

---- UPDATE 3/3/2018 ----

Just wanted to drop everybody a note for the start of the weekend. Thank you again for the words of encouragement and support, it means a lot to the team and gets everyone excited! A lot of progress has been made this week and I'm looking forward to being able to share details with all of you officially in the coming weeks :-)

In the past week, a lot of things have now been finalized and I'm excited to say that this will allow us to get the first iteration of our the new flagship product into circulation much sooner than expected. What I can confirm today (and apologies to those who are big fans of it) is that it won't be called SONAR.

For the time being, we can all refer to it as TDDFKAS (The Desktop DAW Formerly Known As SONAR)  until we have a proper announcement about it.

Though I am a big fan of the name, I mentioned in my first note that there are some issues with continuing to use the name SONAR. For those who want to know why - apart from the problems with SEO, the complexity in the way the IP was transacted (not taking on the ongoing company) means that it could be altogether too confusing to have SONAR as the name for people who had done business with the previous company as well as in parallel with the legacy site which we would like to keep up for reference.

The plus side of this, however, is that the new installation will not affect your older versions of SPLAT (not the new name haha).

We've already got a firm timeline in mind internally already and are prepping our press releases & announcements which will be within the next 4-6 weeks, if not sooner. Can't wait to share with you all (especially existing SONAR users) what lies ahead for our beloved DAW - in case you've missed my posts around the place, it will absolutely be a desktop application so please don't worry about it becoming (cloud/web)-only. 

Have a great weekend!
Meng

---- UPDATE 21/3/2018 ----

Hi everyone!

Thank you all for the insights & feedback you’ve shared in the past month.  I know you’ve been waiting patiently for more news on TDFKAS and the rest of the Cakewalk products. We’re now very very close to announcing our product plans - we're ahead of schedule and you’ll hear it from me here first - so watch this space.

Before that happens though, as part of the preparation for product relaunch we’ll be sending everyone who previously registered a Cakewalk account a request to sign up for a BandLab accountIt’s free, it’s secure and it doesn’t mean you are obliged to use BandLab's social music platform features (although there are plenty of good collaboration options and other features in there  - you can read more about them here).

Signing up for a new legacy Cakewalk account is no longer available and for those who have accounts, the reason for this is that we will be tagging your Cakewalk ID to your new BandLab account as we migrate databases and wind down the legacy server. Starting very soon, your BandLab account will be what you use to authenticate and activate TDFKAS and replaces the old Cakewalk account. As part of feature development, it will also bring more features and services to your Cakewalk experience in the future should you choose to use them.

We decided to do it this way (opt-in) instead of auto-creating an account for everyone because we didn't want to force a new user account on anyone - we apologise that it's a little bit extra work but we hope that you understand! It's important to note that in order to ensure you get the right upgrade or crossgrades in future, you'll need to sign up for BandLab with the same email you used for your Cakewalk products.

For the thousands of you who have already signed up for BandLab with the same email address as your Cakewalk account - you won’t need to do anything! We’ve already automated the tagging of your Cakewalk ID to your new BandLab account.

Also, we had some questions in earlier forum threads about BandLab’s Terms of Use, particularly around ownership, licensing and copyright.

For avoidance of doubt: Nothing you share on BandLab belongs to us - we take no ownership of your creation. Our T&Cs regarding BandLab getting a license to use content purely allow BandLab as a service to actually function - i.e. we need a license for BandLab as a service to play back your own song to you, or anyone else you share it with. Based on feedback in this forum we have clarified these points in layman's terms in our Terms of Use - so thanks to those who took the time to read our terms and give us feedback - we are always open to your comments and finding ways that we can do better...

I’m sorry that I can’t share any more information about what we're baking with TDFKAS just yet… we’re so close, and we can’t wait to reveal the full picture very soon! I have a sneaking suspicion you guys will be really pleased with the news.  Thank you again for all your support thus far - it really means the world to us and we hope we won't disappoint.

Best,
Meng
post edited by Meng - 2018/03/21 13:14:20
CTStump
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 409
Re: Hello from BandLab 2018/02/23 17:10:43 (permalink)
Welcome and best wishes for your success and for your product.

Sonar 8.5PE
Project 5.2
Self Built 2.6Ghz dual core AMD 5200+
8 Gb DDR Ram
Windows Vista 64
Emu 1616 pci
Various collection of old musical toys

35mm
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1105
Re: Hello from BandLab 2018/02/23 17:12:36 (permalink)
Hello, welcome and congratulations. It's good to hear that the Cakewalk and Sonar names will continue. I was going to mention the "Hello, Bakers" cock-up, but seems that's now fixed :)

Splat, Win 10 64bit and all sorts of musical odds and sods collected over the years, but still missing a lot of my old analogue stuff I sold off years ago.
hevanw
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 80
Re: Hello from BandLab 2018/02/23 17:13:29 (permalink)
Wow, this is quite impressive to already see the new owners introduce themselves here and even address questions that we were wondering about in some of the other threads. It surely is a sign of trustworthiness and bodes very well for the future. Really looking forward to where we're heading at now with Sonar which now surely seems to be back alive and kicking.
Amicus717
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 555
Re: Hello from BandLab 2018/02/23 17:15:24 (permalink)
Welcome. Thanks for sharing this info, and for so promptly engaging with our community. 

Sonar Platinum, Windows 10 Pro 64, Core i7-5820K Haswell-E CPU, 32GB DDR4 RAM, RME Babyface, Adam F7 monitors, Mackie MCU
jps
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 280
Re: Hello from BandLab 2018/02/23 17:18:32 (permalink)
Welcome and congrats. I’m looking forward to see what you come up with!
TotteG
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 33
Re: Hello from BandLab 2018/02/23 17:18:40 (permalink)
Thank you Meng, that's great news! Just signed up on BandLab & invited my band members
Regards. Thomas
maopiano
  • Total Posts : 1
Re: Hello from BandLab 2018/02/23 17:19:22 (permalink)
Thanks!! I'm glad that this part of the team that was working with Sonar Platinum!
anxiousmofo
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 338
Re: Hello from BandLab 2018/02/23 17:22:02 (permalink)
Thanks for the quality update, meng.  This is a wonderful and welcome development to see. 

Tangled roots perplex her ways.

Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 DSP, Windows 10 x64, i7 5820k, Asrock X99 OC Formula, 16 GB Corsair DDR4, Asus STRIX GTX 970,  SSD's for OS and samples, Akai MPK61, and myriad VST's.
TheMaartian
Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2774
Re: Hello from BandLab 2018/02/23 17:23:46 (permalink)
Thank you...and many wishes for success.

I'm hoping that you pull the best bits out of the long-in-the-tooth SONAR code base and build them into a modern DAW designed to be extensible.

Here's also hoping that you keep the social bits in BandLab and out of the future flagship product. The ability to collaborate would be great.

Intel i7 3.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, 2 TB HD Win10 Home 64-bit Tascam US-16x08
Studio One 4 Pro NotionMelodyne 4 Studio Acoustica 7 Guitar Pro 7
PreSonus FaderPort Nektar P6 M-Audio BX8 D2 Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro
NI K9U XLN AK, AD2 AAS VS-2, GS-2, VA-2, EP-4, CP-2, OD Toontrack SD3, EZK
CoteRotie
  • Total Posts : 1112
Re: Hello from BandLab 2018/02/23 17:27:22 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Cactus Music 2018/02/23 18:35:10
Great intro, best of luck sorting everything out!  Glad to hear Noel and Ben are joining the team too.

My advice would be to spend a lot of time up front to squash remaining bugs and improve stability and interoperability.  I don't need any more plug-ins, loops, presets, or even features.  Improve what's already there and I would pay for the new version. 

I've already switched to Studio One and Cubase, and more bells, whistles and content wouldn't get me to switch back.  A DAW more free of wonky behavior would.

Just my opinion, others may have different ideas.

Wait, wait, what key is it in? 

GA-X58A-UD3 motherboard
Intel i7 950 CPU w/12 G RAM
ATI Radeon 4350 graphics
3 cats 1 crazydog
Lynx AES16/Aurora 8
SCA N72 J99 & A12 pres. Adam A7 Monitors
Win 10  
SONAR Platinum 64 bit 
Zargg
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10666
Re: Hello from BandLab 2018/02/23 17:32:00 (permalink)
Welcome to this forum, Meng.
Thanks for answering some unanswered question.
Good to see that SONAR will continue, and that Noel and Ben is on board.
All the best.

Ken Nilsen
Zargg
BBZ
Win 10 Pro X64, Cakewalk by Bandlab, SPlat X64, AMD AM3+ fx-8320, 16Gb RAM, RME Ucx (+ ARC), Tascam FW 1884, M-Audio Keystation 61es, *AKAI MPK Pro 25, *Softube Console1, Alesis DM6 USB, Maschine MkII
Laptop setup: Win 10 X64, i5 2.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 320gb 7200 RPM HD, Focusrite Solo, + *

Meng
Administrator
  • Total Posts : 96
Re: Hello from BandLab 2018/02/23 17:34:17 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Rocsee70 2018/02/23 17:48:18

Quick note as it was asked about in another thread - the reason why I am not using the word SONAR when referring to the new flagship product is not because it's planned to be a different product, it's just that we're doing the legal/brand work to make sure calling it that would be the right thing to do and wouldn't cause any confusion in the market given the circumstances over the last couple of months. You can take it to mean "future version of SONAR, or whatever it might be called". 
Just Another Bloke
Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 861
Re: Hello from BandLab 2018/02/23 17:41:16 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby jrmunday 2018/02/23 21:55:56
Thanks for the update.
daisyworld
  • Total Posts : 12
Re: Hello from BandLab 2018/02/23 17:41:58 (permalink)
Thank you for this post, Meng - Sonar is simply the best DAW available and I am immensely excited to have you at the helm. 
Welcome !

GIM Productions
Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 860
Re: Hello from BandLab 2018/02/23 17:49:57 (permalink)
Welcome Meng in this awesome forum!!!!!!!
Thanks for the news,i'm superhappy!!!!!
Believe me....the strategic move to work with Noel and Ben is perfect to continue the success of the best DAW on the market....welcome from Rome!!
All the best

Intel i7 3600,Asus Z170P,16 GIG Corsair ram,Focusrite Saffire Pro 26 i\o,Nektar Impact LX 49,Focusrite Liquid Mix,Monitors ADAM-K&H,Sonar Platinum
Windows 10 SP1
Producer....more stuff in SStudio, Rome ,Italy.
Wookiee
Rrrrugh arah-ah-woof?
  • Total Posts : 13306
Re: Hello from BandLab 2018/02/23 17:50:33 (permalink)
Welcome Meng looking forward to what BandLab brings to the cake.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
Karma has a way of finding its own way home.
Primary, i7 8700K 16Gigs Ram, 3x500gb SSD's 2TB Backup HHD Saffire Pro 40. Win 10 64Bit
Secondary  i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, 500Gb SSD OS/Prog's, 1TB Audio, 1TB Samples HHD AudioBox USB, Win 10 64Bit
CbB, Adam's A7x's - Event 20/20's, Arturia V6, Korg Digital Legacy, Softube Modular, Arturia Keylab-88, USB-MidiSport 8x8 
Hexdigit62
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 86
Re: Hello from BandLab 2018/02/23 17:51:35 (permalink)
Halleluiah...Thank you!
Kamikaze
Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3013
Re: Hello from BandLab 2018/02/23 17:54:50 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Just Another Bloke 2018/02/23 18:34:18
Sonar forum is already down to two stickies. I'm liking this new direction already

michael diemer
  • Total Posts : 1128
Re: Hello from BandLab 2018/02/23 17:56:24 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Pathfinder 2018/02/25 11:42:27
I am breathing again. Hopefully this road leads to the continuation of a recognizable Sonar far into the future. For now, it is light at the end of the tunnel. It's an exciting time, as we wait to see what further developments there will be. I hope our optimism will be justified. It's certainly better than the limbo we have been in since last November. It is also encouraging that this forum will continue. Almost as important as Sonar itself to many of us. So, thank you Band Lab! And here's to many years of success for us all!

michael diemer
Intel Quad Core i7-3770 Ivy Bridge
32 GB ram
1TB Western Digital Black X2
Microsoft Windows 7 Pro 64
UR22 interface
Bandlab Cakewalk/Sonar 8.5 Studio
GPO-EWQLSO Gold-Vienna SP ED-Cinematic Strings 2

SandlinJohn
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 188
Re: Hello from BandLab 2018/02/23 17:57:16 (permalink)
meng
Quick note as it was asked about in another thread - the reason why I am not using the word SONAR when referring to the new flagship product is not because it's planned to be a different product, it's just that we're doing the legal/brand work to make sure calling it that would be the right thing to do and wouldn't cause any confusion in the market given the circumstances over the last couple of months. You can take it to mean "future version of SONAR, or whatever it might be called". 

Thank you, meng! If feels a little funny to Welcome the owner to the show... but, Welcome!

SONAR as a product has transitioned owners before, so keeping the name is not unprecedented. Of course that was when the company Cakewalk transitioned with it, so it was always Cakewalk SONAR and then a by line with the owning company name.

I look forward to seeing how you take SONAR into the future and hope for the best success. Of course, as the customer, I like the idea that I should not have to pay more money to use what I already have. There were hints of really cool stuff in the December update that never happened, and it'd be nice to see what that would have been, but I'm going to echo the call for emphasis on stability, though I shy away from calling for that to be the only priority.

This is an exciting day for most of use longtime fans and users of Cakewalk and SONAR (and the various other products). I started with a command line based MS-DOS version - Cakewalk 2.0 (as shown in my profile picture), 28 years ago. While I did not purchase every upgrade during that time, I've purchased several and expect, despite purchasing Lifetime updates for SONAR Platinum, that I will again.

Sonar Platinum, Windows 7 Pro 64 bit, Intel NUC micro-workstation with 5th Gen Intel i5-5250U, 16 GB RAM and 1.25 TB Storage, Yamaha MG10XU Mixer USB Interface, Yamaha HPH-MT8 Monitor Headphones, Yamaha MX-49 controller synth
Makzimia
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 258
Re: Hello from BandLab 2018/02/23 17:57:25 (permalink)
Quite the entrance Meng.  The eyes of the cakewalk world are on you :). Feel the heat?. 

Tony Carpenter
Castille Productions
Sonar Platinum//Cubase 10 Pro//Logic Pro X 
Mac Pro Dual Xeon 6 core 3.46ghz
32GB RAM
UA Apollo Quad FireWire, UAD2 Quad, X-touch, NI 12 Ultimate Collectors, Montage 7

Kman88
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 104
Re: Hello from BandLab 2018/02/23 17:59:35 (permalink)
Meng,

Thanks for taking up the company and keeping it alive!

Many of us purchased lifetime subscriptions for Cakewalk. Will that be honored?

Thank you,

Kevin Keough

Cakewalk user from day one.

Win 7 64bit, Asus MB with AMD Quad Core,  8GB Ram, RME Multiface II, Yamaha Motif ES6

Regards,
Kevin Keough
CTStump
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 409
Re: Hello from BandLab 2018/02/23 18:02:10 (permalink)
Kman88
Meng,

Thanks for taking up the company and keeping it alive!

Many of us purchased lifetime subscriptions for Cakewalk. Will that be honored?

Thank you,

Kevin Keough

Cakewalk user from day one.

Please read his OP, that explains it as it stands for the moment.

Sonar 8.5PE
Project 5.2
Self Built 2.6Ghz dual core AMD 5200+
8 Gb DDR Ram
Windows Vista 64
Emu 1616 pci
Various collection of old musical toys

Chregg
Max Output Level: -51.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2382
Re: Hello from BandLab 2018/02/23 18:03:37 (permalink)
wwlcome
Sir William
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 166
Re: Hello from BandLab 2018/02/23 18:08:12 (permalink)
Thank you and welcome Meng. Very encouraging. I shall relax.

Sonar - Platinum (always up to date)
PC - Dell XPS 13 7th Gen Intel i7, 500GB SSD, 16GB RAM, 2 x 27" HD monitors, connected via a D3100 DOCKING STATION.
OS - Windows 10 x64
Interface - Focusrite Scarlett 8i6, Yamaha MG12XU

Rack FX - TC Helicon Voiceworks Plus, TC Electronics M300
MIDI - M AUDIO Keystation PRO 88, Focusrite Scarlett 8i6, Roland UM-ONE Mk 2, Yamaha MU100R

Microphones - sE X1, AT 2035, Neumann TLM102
Monitors - Yamaha NS7, ATH-M50 'Phones
Starise
Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7563
Re: Hello from BandLab 2018/02/23 18:09:37 (permalink)
Thank you Meng. You tuned what looked to some like a dead end into a new beginning! Kudos to you!

Intel 5820K O.C. 4.4ghz, ASRock Extreme 4 LGA 2011-v3, 16 gig DDR4, ,
3 x Samsung SATA III 500gb SSD, 2X 1 Samsung 1tb 7200rpm outboard, Win 10 64bit, 
Laptop HP Omen i7 16gb 2/sdd with Focusrite interface.
 CbB, Studio One 4 Pro, Mixcraft 8, Ableton Live 10 

www.soundcloud.com/starise

Twitter @Rodein

daryl1968
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10984
Re: Hello from BandLab 2018/02/23 18:15:33 (permalink)
This really is fabulous news.
Thanks for a great introduction Meng - best of luck.
TearOfTheStar
  • Total Posts : 3
Re: Hello from BandLab 2018/02/23 18:18:03 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby jjj.fcc 2018/02/23 18:43:25
Phew, that's some good news! Just don't forget about Cakewalk products users on Steam. :)
losguy
Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5506
Re: Hello from BandLab 2018/02/23 18:19:53 (permalink)
Hello Meng, and thank you for your gracious introduction. This development certainly is exciting and I look forward to what you will be putting together.

Also, thanks in advance for keeping the forum alive!

Psalm 30:12
All pure waves converge at the Origin
Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 30
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1