Helpful ReplyLockedI want an X2b - NOT X3 for MORE money!!

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 7
Author
dorism
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 590
Re: I want an X2b - NOT X3 for MORE money!! 2013/09/27 16:53:02 (permalink)
djtrailmixxx
Dorism,

Can you use Google Voice or Skype calls? I'm not sure if that is a viable or affordable option for you. There must be a free option somewhere.

That's a good call (pardon the pun). I actually hadn't considered it as I rarely use VOIP as it has poor voice quality in my experience. 

The main issue is not being able to show tech support. If they ask me what am I seeing I'll mumble the same stuff I put in the bug report. Sort of thing you cant actually really nail down easily in words, unless you see if for yourself. I used to be a developer in the day, so I do understand the frustration on both sides. Getting some screen cast solution would solve it I think and also give the developers a lot more insight.

Google +. Cakewalk is on it already, it is free, and offers these features, Potential option?

www.thehadroncollider.co.uk
groovey1
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 288
Re: I want an X2b - NOT X3 for MORE money!! 2013/09/27 17:09:02 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby dorism 2013/09/27 17:27:08
dorism

The main issue is not being able to show tech support. If they ask me what am I seeing I'll mumble the same stuff I put in the bug report. Sort of thing you cant actually really nail down easily in words, unless you see if for yourself. I used to be a developer in the day, so I do understand the frustration on both sides. Getting some screen cast solution would solve it I think and also give the developers a lot more insight.

You might want to consider join.me. It's a very easy (and free) way to show somebody else your desktop.
We use it at work all the time.

SONAR Platinum, Win10-64, Acer Aspire V15 (i7-4510U, 2.0GHz, 8GB), Quad-Capture
https://soundcloud.com/waltmusekamp
scook
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 24146
Re: I want an X2b - NOT X3 for MORE money!! 2013/09/27 17:11:04 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby dorism 2013/09/27 17:27:06
I believe CW support uses a similar approach to see client desktops
djtrailmixxx
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 235
Re: I want an X2b - NOT X3 for MORE money!! 2013/09/27 17:22:07 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby dorism 2013/09/27 17:27:12
dorism

That's a good call (pardon the pun). I actually hadn't considered it as I rarely use VOIP as it has poor voice quality in my experience. 

Google +. Cakewalk is on it already, it is free, and offers these features, Potential option?

You could do a video and post it on youtube as well, then submit it as part of a report

Sonar Platinum X64 - Win 10 x64 - Intel SB-E 3930 - Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4 - 16GB DDR3 - AMD R290X - 4x 1TB SSD RAID 0 (Sys and Data partitions) - 2x UAD2 Quad - 1x UAD2 Octo - UAD Apollo Dual
slartabartfast
Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5289
Re: I want an X2b - NOT X3 for MORE money!! 2013/09/27 18:17:22 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby hockeyjx 2013/09/27 22:17:09
Keith Albright [Cakewalk]

I understand nothing is perfect.  But know we are committed to quality and new compelling features as well as continuing to improve on existing features.
There was an X2A.  That easily had two hundred fixes in that.  It wasn't a tiny patch by any stretch. 

As a demonstration of our commitment to quality, we built an automatic fault reporter and added fault detection to the applications.
In addition we have the web problem reporter.
https://www.cakewalk.com/support/contact/problemreport.aspx

We do look at both the automatic and web entered reports and work to address them.
Obviously we don't have infinite time or resources, so we must prioritize.  But, the more everyone uses these systems, the better the priorities will be. 

Thanks.

Keith

Absolutely Cakewalk has improved the fault reporting system, and given the fact that most users are musicians and not computer experts, it is far more likely you will receive reliable and useful data from a robot than from a user. Definitely there have been numerous bug fixes included in the update packages, proving that Cakewalk does investigate and fix problems.

Now I would like to suggest a new support feature that would save users thousands of hours of wasted time:
Include a known issues page on your support website, that will tell users what bugs you have found and what features do not work as most users expect they will.
A user who finds something is not working as expected may spend hours repeating his attempts to get it to work, uninstalling and re-installing plugins that are not to blame, searching this forum (good luck with that) to see if it is only a problem on his system and finally reporting it to Cakewalk. In many cases these bugs or whatever you choose to call them will already be well defined in your support pipeline, and if the user could see what bugs you already know about it would be very helpful as a first step in troubleshooting his problem.
I appreciate it when you proudly list the bugs that you have fixed in the new update. That is not just good information to decide if the update should be applied, but good marketing. But that does not really help recover wasted time when the user uncovers the bug on his system before it is fixed. I also understand that listing problems that exist but have not (or will not) be fixed  is bad for sales. A prospective buyer may be put off by a list of dozens of things the do not work. But there might actually be some who are impressed with the integrity implied in such a resource. And you might find that your support costs would be less, and your response times better if you did not receive duplicative emails and calls from users who had all discovered the same bug, to whom you have to individually reply that this is a known issue that you are working on (or not ).
robert_e_bone
  • Total Posts : 8968
Re: I want an X2b - NOT X3 for MORE money!! 2013/09/27 21:28:06 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby hockeyjx 2013/09/27 22:17:24
I would add that having an accurate list would eliminate a bunch of the 'built on sand and fable' claims where an unfounded/incorrect claim from one post is referenced as FACT - which in my mind is not only difficult to counter (though I do attempt to do that from time to time), I believe that kind of scenario to be quite damaging to the product's perceived perception and may turn away otherwise paying customers.

Further, going to such a list when one encounters issues would save loads of time from having to either search for prior threads, and also save forum members from having to constantly type and retype for threads that keep popping back up from time to time, when all of it could have been avoided by there being a list of "here's stuff we are aware of with this release of our product".

I would welcome such a list.

Bob Bone

Wisdom is a giant accumulation of "DOH!"

Sonar: Platinum (x64), X3 (x64) 
Audio Interfaces: AudioBox 1818VSL, Steinberg UR-22
Computers: 1) i7-2600 k, 32 GB RAM, Windows 8.1 Pro x64 & 2) AMD A-10 7850 32 GB RAM Windows 10 Pro x64
Soft Synths: NI Komplete 8 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, many others
MIDI Controllers: M-Audio Axiom Pro 61, Keystation 88es
Settings: 24-Bit, Sample Rate 48k, ASIO Buffer Size 128, Total Round Trip Latency 9.7 ms  
hockeyjx
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 839
Re: I want an X2b - NOT X3 for MORE money!! 2013/09/27 22:15:58 (permalink)
I've always felt that too many people don't have quality machines/setups, so a good deal of problems are there. I also think some people just don't know what they are doing. Then, there are the ones whose pirated warez don't work well together.

Take away all those above and X2a is pretty solid. Not perfect, but solid.

Intel i7 950 Proc, Asus Sabertooth x58 MB, 2 Crucial 128GB SSDs and Seagate 1TBGB drive, 12GB Corsair 1600mhz 8-8-8-24 Memory, Nvidia GeForece 8400 Dual Monitor vid card
Cooler Master Silent Pro 700w Power Supply, Cooler Master Sileo 500

Win 7 64 bit, SPlat 64-bit, Komplete 10 Ultimate, AmpliTube3 and AD2

Tascam FW-1884 and AKAI MPK-49
Cary
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 121
Re: I want an X2b - NOT X3 for MORE money!! 2013/09/27 22:33:16 (permalink)
I wandered from Sonar about 8 years ago, after being a user since it was a midi program only.  I bought a Mac to run PT and Logic.  I bought Live and S1 as well.  I have been keeping my Sonar license active because I also have a nice PC setup as well.  I just purchased the half off deal and though it's installed I probably won't use it due to some off the things I've read here.   I will be very careful with my upgrades from here on out.  As an old Oberheim owner, I don't have much confidence in Gibson's business practices.   I hope Cakewalk does well in the future.  Its a great DAW.  

Cary
harmony gardens
Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3490
Re: I want an X2b - NOT X3 for MORE money!! 2013/09/28 02:27:27 (permalink)
Hmmmm, I'm feeling a little like Cary.  I had some family stuff to deal with, so I haven't upgraded since Sonar 7.  I'm loving the fact that the groove matrix is now in Sonar and I'm liking the new layout, but when I read about some of the problems you guys are having, it's making me wonder if I'm in for a shock when I actually start working with it again.  It's been much more complicated to move to 64 bit than I anticipated and it seems like every turn there's some new hoop to jump through,,,   It was kind of nice to just use Sonar 7 and not spend all my time learning new stuff. 

I didn't know until just now that Sonar X3 was so close, either. 

PS, I miss the old gang in the Project 5 forum.  I always had a foot in each program.  It's nice to see familar faces still here. 

I thought the Roland deal was cool, because I am a keyboardist.  I hope for the best for the future, because I'm planning on getting deep into my studio again.  I'm really excited about the chance to do that!! 

Bristol_Jonesey
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 16775
Re: I want an X2b - NOT X3 for MORE money!! 2013/09/28 07:01:47 (permalink)
Just remember a few things:
  1. A large percentage of the reported "problems" are due to either user error or a badly configured system/hardware setup
  2. This forum represents a very small percentage of the entire user base (< 10% so I'm led to believe)
  3. Certain posters - even long standing ones - will take every opportunity they get to bash Cakewalk/Roland/Gibson/Tascam, just because they can

From what I've read over the last year or so, X2a is completely stable for the VAST majority of users who post here, so if you have any specific qualms, please feel free to post them and someone will without doubt come up with an answer

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
Guitarmech111
Max Output Level: -24.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5085
Re: I want an X2b - NOT X3 for MORE money!! 2013/09/28 07:02:54 (permalink)
hockeyjx
I've always felt that too many people don't have quality machines/setups, so a good deal of problems are there. I also think some people just don't know what they are doing. Then, there are the ones whose pirated warez don't work well together.

No, not really. I am a registered user and I have an 8 core 3.6Ghz processor with 16G ram and a RME UFX. X2a is NOT stable. It is quite often flaky.  Pressing record often gets me an unable to store audio error, yet pressing record again, works fine. I get crashes trying to search for missing audio. I get random audio transient errors. I often get audio wave form redraw issues when recording and opening projects. I also get issues with take sync timimg on loop recording. I have other issues, but these are at the forefront of my mind. X2a is Cakewalks Vista...

Peace,
Conley Shepherd
Joyful Noise Productions
PC config: (Win performance base score = 7.7) ASUS Sabertooth 990 FX -amd fx-8150 - core processor am3+ - 32G Corsair 1066 DDR3 - PNY GTX670 2g gddr5 - Corsair Force SSD 120G - Samsung 750G SATA drives - WD 1tb Black (Audio files) - WD 2TB for storage - RME UFX - USB ASIO 2/2016 drivers Win8 

Without a mess, there is no message
chuckebaby
  • Total Posts : 13146
Re: I want an X2b - NOT X3 for MORE money!! 2013/09/28 07:14:00 (permalink)
Guitarmech111
hockeyjx

No, not really. I am a registered user and I have an 8 core 3.6Ghz processor with 16G ram and a RME UFX. X2a is NOT stable. It is quite often flaky.  Pressing record often gets me an unable to store audio error, yet pressing record again, works fine. I get crashes trying to search for missing audio. I get random audio transient errors. I often get audio wave form redraw issues when recording and opening projects. I also get issues with take sync timimg on loop recording. I have other issues, but these are at the forefront of my mind. X2a is Cakewalks Vista...

don't you think though if everyone was having this problem like you then no one would be getting any recording done and cakewalk would have to issue another patch ?

my advise is to try it out on another machine because ive tried it out on 2 different machines with stellar results.
these machines are however newer models build within the last 2 years.
your computer sounds like it was build by a pro with those stats and large amount of RAM.
have you contacted the builder of your machine ?

is your CPU an AMD bulldozer or Intel Xeon ?

Redraw issues are almost 90% a videocard problem.
your videocard may be contributing to a lot of your issues.
I run and 8 core AMD Bulldozer with no issues at all.
those are quite a few issues your having that I haven't heard of.

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

beltrom
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 306
Re: I want an X2b - NOT X3 for MORE money!! 2013/09/28 07:19:30 (permalink)
I have to side with Guitarmech111 on this one.

Sonar 8.5 and X1d runs perfect on my custom built machine (i7, 16 GB, 2,5TB + SSD and a Focusrite saffire Pro40), I CAN make X1d crash if I want to but I normally don't want to and if I don't it's almost scary how well and stable it runs. I've been with Cakewalk since Dos version 2 and have a background as a software developer so I was under the impression I had some basic computer and Cakewalk knowledge at least. Regarding the warez you'll have to believe me because I won't show you my cakewalk account. X2a still isn't solid, it's not the buggiest version released but it's not good - especially for a patched version, so I get why some users are not happy.

It's no big deal for me and I will get X3 expecting some annoying bugs at release, it would be stupid to do otherwise on what must be some serious changes and additions in and to the code. I'm sure Cakewalk will release a patch removing the most annoying ones soon after release as they normally do.  And I hope it will after that be real solid again, like X1d is. It's probably not easy for the Cakers (or any DAW software maker) to get their software running good on everything and finding the sweet spot between new features and stability at each release, but they must of course do that to keep the revenue stream. I'm sure they're doing everything they can with the resources they have and on balance I'd actually say they've been quite successful so far and over time - taking into account the economy the last years and the brave move to "X". But X2a and me will never be pals.

Even if the arguments presented were valid it's not a good situation for Cakewalk. What some will read into that is that Sonar requires custom built machines (or specific vendors and/or models) and computer guru skills. That would  severely limit Cakewalks market. I'm not sure we're doing Cakewalk a favor saying that is expected. Especially when the same people get other brands running on the same machines. Luckily I don't think it's true and I don't think it's what you meant.

post edited by beltrom - 2013/09/28 07:54:43
Guitarmech111
Re: I want an X2b - NOT X3 for MORE money!! 2013/09/28 07:23:15 (permalink)
doncolga
Guitarmech111
X2a could have been in muliple patches?

Good grief ya'll are cranky!..is it a full moon?

Would it have made you all happier if they'd just divide up the A update into lets say...10 separate updates?...would that make ya'll feel better?  Of course it would...you got 10 free updates...those bakers sure are busy!

Guitarmech111
Is that because of poorly engineered software not meeting the customers needs and expectations? I wouldn't brag on that.

I'm sorry, but that's ridiculous.  I'm sure the software is doing just fine for LOTS of users.

That many fixes tells me that they did not design or code the product correctly in the time given to form a new release with the end user desired operability and stability. Whoever planned and tested it, failed IMO.

I test program software for a living. If any of the products I have worked with had over 250 fixes in it for a single patch, that would exemplify failure in the prior development and testing cycle. They used to have a robust beta team that had a magnitude of environments. Maybe that is not so any more.
My point, as some people may or may not realize, The end user should think that there was time to get it right the first time. 250 fixes in a single patch just begs to have regression issues on stuff that did work. Wiyhout a follow up patch, those regressions STILL FAIL. Unforunately the cash inflow is more important than pushng out a schedule.

This is not the way Cakewalk used to do it. I am dissapointed in the current state of the product. I don't really care what others think about it since my money paid for it and my money paid for a sub par product that has stability issues on my machine and with my work flow. I have called TS a few times to help me out. They have, but there are issues that I will not see fixed unless I pay for an upgrade as I understand it.

I may just download the demo before upgrading unless they decide to give a steeper discount for X3 to people who have called in issues that TS/DEV deem errors with X2a.

Peace,
Conley Shepherd
Joyful Noise Productions
PC config: (Win performance base score = 7.7) ASUS Sabertooth 990 FX -amd fx-8150 - core processor am3+ - 32G Corsair 1066 DDR3 - PNY GTX670 2g gddr5 - Corsair Force SSD 120G - Samsung 750G SATA drives - WD 1tb Black (Audio files) - WD 2TB for storage - RME UFX - USB ASIO 2/2016 drivers Win8 

Guitarmech111
Re: I want an X2b - NOT X3 for MORE money!! 2013/09/28 07:29:37 (permalink)
chuckebaby
Guitarmech111
hockeyjx

don't you think though if everyone was having this problem like you then no one would be getting any recording done and cakewalk would have to issue another patch ?

my advise is to try it out on another machine because ive tried it out on 2 different machines with stellar results.
these machines are however newer models build within the last 2 years.
your computer sounds like it was build by a pro with those stats and large amount of RAM.
have you contacted the builder of your machine ?

is your CPU an AMD bulldozer or Intel Xeon ?

Redraw issues are almost 90% a videocard problem.
your videocard may be contributing to a lot of your issues.
I run and 8 core AMD Bulldozer with no issues at all.
those are quite a few issues your having that I haven't heard of.

I built my machine and have been doing so for over 25 years. I KNOW what I am doing in that arena. I should not HAVE to use another machine. I am not overclocking or anything, just straight processing. I have these specs:
 ASUS Sabertooth 990 FX
 AMD fx-8150 8 core processor am3+
 16G Corsair 1066 DDR3
 PNY GTX670 2g gddr5
 Samsung 750G SATA drives
 WD 200G
 Seagate 160G
 Seagate 400G
 RME FireFace 800 UFX - USB drivers
 SONY DVD+-R/RW
 LG BR+HD Multi ROM
 SONAR Producer 8.5+, X1, X2 + hotfixes
 Vegas 11
 SF 10
 CD architect
 DVD Architect
 Win7 64 Ultimate + auto updates

I guess I fall in the 10% of the video redraw issue set...

Peace,
Conley Shepherd
Joyful Noise Productions

chuckebaby
  • Total Posts : 13146
Re: I want an X2b - NOT X3 for MORE money!! 2013/09/28 08:07:53 (permalink)
Guitarmech111
doncolga
Guitarmech111

Would it have made you all happier if they'd just divide up the A update into lets say...10 separate updates?...would that make ya'll feel better?  Of course it would...you got 10 free updates...those bakers sure are busy!

Guitarmech111
Is that because of poorly engineered software not meeting the customers needs and expectations? I wouldn't brag on that.

I'm sorry, but that's ridiculous.  I'm sure the software is doing just fine for LOTS of users.

That many fixes tells me that they did not design or code the product correctly in the time given to form a new release with the end user desired operability and stability. Whoever planned and tested it, failed IMO.

I test program software for a living. If any of the products I have worked with had over 250 fixes in it for a single patch, that would exemplify failure in the prior development and testing cycle. They used to have a robust beta team that had a magnitude of environments. Maybe that is not so any more.
My point, as some people may or may not realize, The end user should think that there was time to get it right the first time. 250 fixes in a single patch just begs to have regression issues on stuff that did work. Wiyhout a follow up patch, those regressions STILL FAIL. Unforunately the cash inflow is more important than pushng out a schedule.

This is not the way Cakewalk used to do it. I am dissapointed in the current state of the product. I don't really care what others think about it since my money paid for it and my money paid for a sub par product that has stability issues on my machine and with my work flow. I have called TS a few times to help me out. They have, but there are issues that I will not see fixed unless I pay for an upgrade as I understand it.

I may just download the demo before upgrading unless they decide to give a steeper discount for X3 to people who have called in issues that TS/DEV deem errors with X2a.

im sorry but im having a hard time believing you do test software for a living because if you did you would have some answers for why your having issues and not just spiting out issues your having.
you'd also know that a fix (250 fixes) can mean a lot of things, like when you re-code one feature you need to fix 10 others.
I also think your being a bit childish. here it is cakewalks big day for their release of the new x3 and your here first thing in the morning the day it goes on sale.
your upset because others are excited to use a new product they have been having great success with.
they cant wait to see the new features and dive in to a software that worked great for them in x2.

So you've had to ask yourself a few times now, why are others having success but im having issues?
there's a conflict going on somewhere and rather than track it down its easier to come here on cakewalks site and post your displeasure in hopes of ruining any sales for their new product?
I don't get it.

and if you think the: "issues that you will not see fixed unless you pay for an upgrade as you understand it"
im not sure where you got that info from but if you cant be productive in the last version (X2) what on earth makes you think you can be with X3 ????

if these are show stoppers (a you've said) I don't think a new version is going to help.
if they are just annoying little things that your making in to big things, then yes im guessing youll be happy.
I myself think x2 had some annoying things about it and I hope they are fixed but surely don't think they are bad enough to start a thread out of jealousy  

post edited by chuckebaby - 2013/09/28 08:23:50

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

SuperG
Max Output Level: -63 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1371
Re: I want an X2b - NOT X3 for MORE money!! 2013/09/28 08:15:18 (permalink)
Way to go Charlie! I agree - too many people trying to make the rest of us miserable.

laudem Deo
Loptec
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 948
Re: I want an X2b - NOT X3 for MORE money!! 2013/09/28 08:22:35 (permalink)
chuckebaby
Guitarmech111
doncolga
Guitarmech111

Guitarmech111

im sorry but im having a hard time believing you do test software for a living because if you did you would have some answers for why your having issues and not just spiting out issues your having.
you'd also know that a fix (250 fixes) can mean a lot of things, like when you re-code one feature you need to fix 10 others.
I also think your being a bit childish. here it is cakewalks big day for their release of the new x3 and your here first thing in the morning the day it goes on sale.
your upset because others are excited to use a new product they have been having great success with.
they cant wait to see the new features and dive in to a software that worked great for them in x2.

So you've had to ask yourself a few times now, why are others having success but im having issues?
there's a conflict going on somewhere and rather than track it down its easier to come here on cakewalks site and post your displeasure in hopes of ruining any sales for their new product?

I don't get it.

good post! 

SAMUEL LIDSTRÖM

DAW: Sonar Platinum (64bit) with Melodyne Studio - Controllers: Roland VS-700C, Cakewalk A-500 Pro, Yamaha P90
Desktop Audio Interface: RME HDSPe RayDAT - Laptop Audio Interface: RME Babyface Pro

Maarkr
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 488
Re: I want an X2b - NOT X3 for MORE money!! 2013/09/28 09:20:23 (permalink)
NOT upgrading

Maarkr
Studio: SPALT Lifetime/BL Cakewalk, Studio One 3.5, UAD, Z3ta+2, IKM, NI, Waves, iZotope, Melda, Reaper
i7 3770/Giga Z77 mobo, Win10 Pro-64 w16Gb, MOTU Ultralite MK4, Yamaha HS80M wSub, Live: PX-5S, FA-06, Roland Lucina, Epi Les Paul, Ibanez Bass, Amps, e-drums, Zoom R-16...
Latest album release, NEW! Counry Classic at http://genemaarkr.bandcamp.com/
stevec
  • Total Posts : 11546
Re: I want an X2b - NOT X3 for MORE money!! 2013/09/28 10:48:28 (permalink)
I'm running X2a on a Q9300 + Asus P5N-D, 8GB PC6400 RAM, Win7 64 SP1, a Seagate Barracuda 500GB SATA 7200 for apps and audio, and a fairly generic ATI 1GB graphics card.   And although this the antithesis of a "modern" system, X2a is solid for me - audio, MIDI, VSTi, FX, etc, etc.   The only "problem" I have is when the load reaches a certain point and I have to increase latency to compensate (Focusrite 18i6).  I do that and I'm back to normal.  

My only point is that on an older system like mine X2a works quite well.   So there's something we're missing if the focus is on using the latest technology.  'Cause I sure aint.  

SteveC
https://soundcloud.com/steve-cocchi
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=39163

SONAR Platinum x64, Intel Q9300 (2.5Ghz), Asus P5N-D, Win7 x64 SP1, 8GB RAM, 1TB internal + ESATA + USB Backup HDDs, ATI Radeon HD5450 1GB RAM + dual ViewSonic VA2431wm Monitors;
Focusrite 18i6 (ASIO);
Komplete 9, Melodyne Studio 4, Ozone 7 Advanced, Rapture Pro, GPO5, Valhalla Plate, MJUC comp, MDynamic EQ, lots of other freebie VST plugins, synths and Kontakt libraries

hockeyjx
Re: I want an X2b - NOT X3 for MORE money!! 2013/09/28 11:16:35 (permalink)
Conley,

I was making a generic statement based on observations from a decade in this forum that I believe to be true. 

There are SO many variables in different software/hardware setups that can take the train off the tracks. And it could be so benign that no other symptoms point to it.

I've had a machine that drove me out of my mind over a bad vid card (and I put machines together for living at the time). And I replaced it because it failed at a later point and BAM... all the issues I had went away. So, it is possible, that a component or other program causes issues in Sonar. That said, I don't discredit what you say, but if <10% of users have a specific issue, it logically points to a certain scenario or configuration. And what any of this does NOT do is eliminate your frustration.

And for some reason, AMD built systems never did seem to work as well for me as did Intel based systems. I think in part because Cake has a good relationship with Intel and has worked with them closely over the years.

My 2 cents.

Intel i7 950 Proc, Asus Sabertooth x58 MB, 2 Crucial 128GB SSDs and Seagate 1TBGB drive, 12GB Corsair 1600mhz 8-8-8-24 Memory, Nvidia GeForece 8400 Dual Monitor vid card

Funkybot
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 796
Re: I want an X2b - NOT X3 for MORE money!! 2013/09/28 13:11:30 (permalink)
Andrew, I'd like to take you up on your response from earlier in the thread: now that X3 is out, can we begin discussing some of my questions from earlier in the thread in greater detail? The ones that weren't answered by the X3 information I've seen are:

1. Did you guys fix the Disk May Be Full error on record bug? Notice that Guitarmech111 seems to be reporting this exact problem just a few posts ahead of mine. A forum search brings up posts on this going back years.
2. What about how Sonar writes/saves projects so they don't corrupt so easily? Any changes there?
3. What about duplicate notes on quantization? Can I Groove Quantize MIDI consistently without getting duplicate notes?
4. What about the Sonar icon remaining in the tray after a close (which often prevents a new instance from opening without manually shutting down SonarPDR.exe in the task manager)? Was something done to address this one?

Note on the above: I've run Sonar on at least 6 different systems over the 10 years (or more) I've had a license , across at least 2 Operating Systems (XP and Win7 - honestly can't remember if Win98 got used for Sonar), and all of those issues have popped up time and time again as far back as I can remember. I've got a well-built (no cheapy components) Intel i7 based system, running Win7 64bit stock (I've probably set the priority to background tasks), running Kingston DDR3 RAM, and an RME Fireface 800 with the most up to date firmware and drivers. I say all that to dispel the "I bet people with problems have cheap or poorly configured systems" myth.

5. Did you guys include MP3 encoding for free? If not, point out what hosts require users to pay for this feature. I'm curious because I don't know of any others.
6. Did you improve signal flow to allow for more advanced audio routing? Can I route a VSTi output to an audio input? Again, I'd be curious as to which other major DAW's can't do this if you know of any?
7. Have you updated the Staff View or improved notation?
8. With the plugin architecture rewrite and VST3, will Sonar X3 recognize my mono UAD plugins and use DSP accordingly? 
9. Does Sonar X3 include a dynamically resizable vector based console so I can see the full strips in the dock? From the Skylight video it appears not. Notice how little of the strips are visible when docked, making a dockable console nearly useless.
10. Did you get rid of the annoying pop-up questions when pasting or inserting an instrument track that distract from Workflow?
11. Did you make it easier to quickly add/subtract outputs to a VSTi (a la Studio One)?
12. Did you finally create proper Instrument Tracks that can house MIDI and audio effects? Do they have all the same functionality as the separate MIDI+audio tracks did, just intelligently combined into one?
13. Did you add varispeed playback and recording like Reaper (man that's fun, and great for some Beatles-esque harmonies)?
14. Is VST 2/3 support FINALLY built in and not part of legacy Fxpansion code from their VST wrapper (which we wouldn't have needed if you opted to support VST natively from the get go and not DXi - but I digress)?
15. Will Sonar now always recognize which VST plugins send/receive tempo information, and can send receive MIDI without having to go into a separate plugin Properties window to force Sonar to know when some plugins use these features?
16. Did you simplify the Snap to Grid features which have clearly caused confusion in X2. Snap to Grid used to work great BTW: wasn't broken but it got fixed. 
17. Workflow enhancement question: can I now navigate from plugin to plugin on a channel from within a single plugin's UI (a la Logic and Studio One)?
18. Since you guys seem to be admitting that the Take Lanes in X2 were not as fully realized as they could have been (which you've clearly corrected in X3 - good work here, it looks great), why are X2 customers being asked to upgrade to X3 to get the fully-developed Take Lanes functionality they thought they were buying in X2?
18. Most importantly: how much less will Sonar X3 crash compared to prior versions? Is there any data on this? 
19. I see in the blog post that "Several longstanding plugin compatibility issues were also addressed," my first response is: very good move, and better late than never. My question is: why weren't these "longstanding issues" addressed sooner? VST plugin support has existed in Sonar for a very long time.

The above list is fairly comprehensive in terms of what I, as a longtime customer, would like to see addressed by this, or future Sonar releases.

VST3 and fixing Take Lanes are welcome additions to Sonar, but the latter should have been included in an X2 update IMO, and the combination of the two aren't enough for me to upgrade. I also think it's great that Studio and Producer finally seem to include all the same features (question 20: is POW-R dithering now included in Studio?), so kudos to that as well. In terms of the included plugins: I don't need any of them so they do nothing in terms of making want to upgrade. 

Intel i7 4790k, ASUS Z97-A mobo, 16GB Kingston DDR3 RAM, Windows 10 x64,  UAD2 Duo, RME Fireface 800, Sonar X1/X2 Producer
Funkybot
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 796
Re: I want an X2b - NOT X3 for MORE money!! 2013/09/28 13:20:53 (permalink)
hockeyjx
There are SO many variables in different software/hardware setups that can take the train off the tracks. And it could be so benign that no other symptoms point to it.

I've had a machine that drove me out of my mind over a bad vid card (and I put machines together for living at the time). And I replaced it because it failed at a later point and BAM... all the issues I had went away. So, it is possible, that a component or other program causes issues in Sonar. That said, I don't discredit what you say, but if <10% of users have a specific issue, it logically points to a certain scenario or configuration. And what any of this does NOT do is eliminate your frustration.

Bad hardware will usually effect more than one piece of software. You'll generally have crashes and blue screens while doing all kinds of stuff, as anyone who ever had a bad video card will know.

Some of the Sonar issues I point to above (numbers 1-4) aren't things where I get comparable bugs in the two other hosts I use, both of which are much more stable. And again, these bugs have exhibited themselves through at least 6 systems and 6 OS'es. Searching the Cakewalk forums will show that there are a large number (not necessarily large percentage) of users who at one time or another have experienced these intermittent issues. 

I've been involved with large software development from planning, to requirement writing, to QA, and User Acceptance Testing, all the way to release, and post-release support, and all the above would seems point to an issue in the code. Intermittent bugs are the most difficult to reproduce and therefore track down, but it doesn't mean it's the user's system at fault, it most likely means there's something going on somewhere in the code that presents itself in rare situations. The problem is that as a customer, I don't care why I can't record because Sonar thinks my Disk May Be Full, or why a project got corrupted, I just care that it happened. 

Intel i7 4790k, ASUS Z97-A mobo, 16GB Kingston DDR3 RAM, Windows 10 x64,  UAD2 Duo, RME Fireface 800, Sonar X1/X2 Producer
ELsMystERy
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 28
Re: I want an X2b - NOT X3 for MORE money!! 2013/09/28 13:34:49 (permalink)
$149.00 just to upgrade a program (X2a) I have not even had much of a chance to use yet? Really, Cakewalk, or should I say Roland? Do we really have to keep paying the $149 "license fee" each year just to get some bug fixes and a few new features we may never even use (no matter how nice and usable they are for some users)???? Do you think that all musicians who use your software are made of money??? Perhaps I should skip getting my broken tooth repaired, or having some repairs to the house done and just upgrade now. Maybe if I give up eating for a month so I can afford the upgrade? Or, perhaps just cancel cable, electricity, or phone service? Maybe I can skip some insurance payments, or sell a guitar?

OH, I know... I can call the government and ask for some more disability benefits to help pay for X3, I am sure they will be glad to help. I guess I will have to owe someone something if I want to upgrade before I get back into the studio.

I am really disappointed in Cakewalk. They don't care one bit about customer satisfaction. Not the same Cakewalk I signed up for years ago.

!--END-RANT--!

Win 8 Pro 64-bit - Intel i7 - 8GB RAM - SONAR X2a 
RME AIO - BURL B2 Bomber converters - Cranesong Avocet - Focal 2.1 Monitoring
bapu
  • Total Posts : 86000
Re: I want an X2b - NOT X3 for MORE money!! 2013/09/28 13:40:28 (permalink)

I want an X2b - NOT X3 for MORE money!!

{as George H.W. Bush said in my best Dana Carvey voice}
Read my lips
Ain goan happun
SteveStrummerUK
  • Total Posts : 31112
Re: I want an X2b - NOT X3 for MORE money!! 2013/09/28 13:45:58 (permalink)
ELsMystERy
$149.00 just to upgrade a program (X2a) I have not even had much of a chance to use yet? Really, Cakewalk, or should I say Roland?

Have you been hibernating

ELsMystERy
Do we really have to keep paying the $149 "license fee" each year just to get some bug fixes and a few new features we may never even use (no matter how nice and usable they are for some users)????

Er... no.

Surely it's up to you what you spend your money on.

ELsMystERy
Do you think that all musicians who use your software are made of money??? Perhaps I should skip getting my broken tooth repaired, or having some repairs to the house done and just upgrade now. Maybe if I give up eating for a month so I can afford the upgrade? Or, perhaps just cancel cable, electricity, or phone service? Maybe I can skip some insurance payments, or sell a guitar?

The same applies to the guys and gals who work for Cakewalk.

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

hockeyjx
Re: I want an X2b - NOT X3 for MORE money!! 2013/09/28 13:49:13 (permalink)
Funkybot

I've been involved with large software development from planning, to requirement writing, to QA, and User Acceptance Testing, all the way to release, and post-release support, and all the above would seems point to an issue in the code. Intermittent bugs are the most difficult to reproduce and therefore track down, but it doesn't mean it's the user's system at fault, it most likely means there's something going on somewhere in the code that presents itself in rare situations. The problem is that as a customer, I don't care why I can't record because Sonar thinks my Disk May Be Full, or why a project got corrupted, I just care that it happened. [/quote=Funkybot]

My opinion is that there are issues, but when you have people that aren't necessarily tech savvy(and can't configure boxes or afford proper hardware), it exacerbates the "this software doesn't work" phenomenon

ELsMystERy
Re: I want an X2b - NOT X3 for MORE money!! 2013/09/28 14:12:38 (permalink)
Looking at the new features, it hardly justifies spending 149 to get only a couple that should have been included in X2b.

I have comment beside each new feature.
  • NEW! Skylight Interface enhancements and color customizations - YAWN. They could have improved Skylight without charging us. Not worth the $149 upgrade for color customizations. I don't use software because it looks pretty, I use it because it helps get the job done.
  • NEW! Assemble the perfect performance with breakthrough comping workflow - Never needed this before, but could be interesting.
  • NEW! Full support for VST3 synths and effects - Should have been a standard feature in X2b. Not worth the $149 upgrade. I don't even have any VST3 plugins yet.
  • NEW! Gobbler cloud saving and sharing - NO NEED FOR THIS.
  • NEW! Get authentic drums sounds with the full version of XLN Audio Addictive Drums - ALREADY HAVE IT. Not paying for it again.
  • NEW! Play vintage piano sounds with AAS Lounge Lizard Session - ALREADY have piano synths. I would rather upgrade them.
  • NEW! Have a session guitar player with you at all times with AAS Strum Acoustic Session - I am a guitar player. I HATE simulated guitar. Using this would be a crime against nature. Perhaps CW will give me a discount if they don't include this?
  • NEW! Craft the perfect vocal performances with Melodyne Essential - This one is simple: learn how to sing in tune. People had to do that long before pitch correction software was invented.
  • NEW! Sculpt your mixes with precision using the new QuadCurve EQ Zoom with Analyzer - Already have a bunch of EQs and analyzers.
  • NEW! Fine tune your mixes with the 19 included Nomad Factory Blue Tubes FX - Got plenty of effects already (UAD2, IK, Voxengo, etc...). I have been trying to save up to upgrade a few UAD2 plugins. Cakewalk wants to rob me of that now?
  • NEW! Access Vintage-style world-class reverb with Nomad Factory BlueVerb - Got plenty of high quality reverbs. Do I really need to spend $149 for another one?
  • NEW! Get incredible filter and distortion effects with Tone2 BiFilter 2 - REALLY? Another distortion plugin? If I can't get the right distortion with what I have, then perhaps I should not be using distortion on anything.
  • NEW! 57 total FX including the new Boutique Suite plus everything in SONAR X3 Studio - How many FX do I really need to have to choose from AND "everything in SONAR X3 Studio": DUH!

• Win 8 Pro 64-bit - Intel i7 - 8GB RAM - SONAR X2a 
    ELsMystERy
    Re: I want an X2b - NOT X3 for MORE money!! 2013/09/28 14:16:18 (permalink)
    SteveStrummerUK
    ELsMystERy
    $149.00 just to upgrade a program (X2a) I have not even had much of a chance to use yet? Really, Cakewalk, or should I say Roland?

Have you been hibernating

I have been busy with other things.

ELsMystERy
    Do we really have to keep paying the $149 "license fee" each year just to get some bug fixes and a few new features we may never even use (no matter how nice and usable they are for some users)????

Er... no.

Surely it's up to you what you spend your money on.

SNEER! What a way to try to interrupt a perfectly good rant.

ELsMystERy
    Do you think that all musicians who use your software are made of money??? Perhaps I should skip getting my broken tooth repaired, or having some repairs to the house done and just upgrade now. Maybe if I give up eating for a month so I can afford the upgrade? Or, perhaps just cancel cable, electricity, or phone service? Maybe I can skip some insurance payments, or sell a guitar?

The same applies to the guys and gals who work for Cakewalk.

Then maybe they should have to pay for their own updates as well.

Win 8 Pro 64-bit - Intel i7 - 8GB RAM - SONAR X2a 
    SuperG
    Max Output Level: -63 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1371
    Re: I want an X2b - NOT X3 for MORE money!! 2013/09/28 14:36:22 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Seth Kellogg [Cakewalk] 2013/09/28 14:41:07
    X3 is out, and the Whaaaambulance is leaving the scene.....

laudem Deo
    Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 7
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1