AnsweredLockedIntroducing the new SONAR: New lineup, new features, plus membership

Page: << < ..4647484950 > Showing page 47 of 50
Author
Earwax
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 242
Re: Introducing the new SONAR: New lineup, new features, plus membership 2015/01/22 14:23:35 (permalink)
benvenisti
Paul P
benvenisti

Are you aware that there is (apparently) an ASIO driver for your interface ?  If so, you shouldn't be using ASIO4ALL with it.  From the manual :

"The 828mkII also includes a Windows ASIO driver for multi-channel compatibility with any audio application that supports ASIO drivers."

Thanks for that! True. The problem is that the MOTU ASIO driver simply will not deliver at anything less than 512 samples without some random pops and crackles, while I can get ASIO4All to run clean at 64 samples. I don't know what the issue is. I have the latest drivers. This has always been the case with the 828 Mk II as far as I can remember. I could be wrong as my main system has been SCOPE (with bulletproof ASIO) until I finally replaced my aging PC with a game spec laptop.  I might build a new desktop with PCI slots for all the Creamware cards (one of these days).  I just love SCOPE but building a machine to support it is not financially feasible now.  The laptop is great, especially live.  As far as the MOTU 828 Mk II is concerned I'm sure there is some low level driver issue with the ASIO and I really don't want to spend my life researching and experimenting to get it to work when I can get what I need from ASIO4all or even the WDM drivers and make music!

If anyone else has some ideas about the 828 MkII running with the native MOTU ASIO drivers Please PM as I'm definitely open to that. Just bear in mind that I've been through all the theories and Google stuff.

Benvenisti,
No need to wait for an upgraded SCOPE machine. For ready-right-now well built SCOPE computers (cheap), HP workstations are excellent. As a SCOPE user, I'm sure you are aware of Planet Z. There are SCOPE users there who use HP workstations for their systems. The preferred machines seem to be HP xw4400/xw4600 models. I myself have a z400 workstation. Extremely well built, reliable, and modern. There is an HP xw4600 workstation on eBay right now for $190.00. That includes WIN 7 64-bit, an Intel Q9650 3.0 Ghz processor, 4GB RAM, and a 160GB hard drive. There are 3 PCI slots on the slot 775 motherboard - probably the most mature and stable PCI platform extant.

Just a heads up. Now, back to our regularly scheduled program...........

Pain - the absence of things hoped for, the evidence of catastrophes unforeseen.
Afrodrum
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 559
Re: Introducing the new SONAR: New lineup, new features, plus membership 2015/01/22 14:27:06 (permalink)
JoseC.
As I see it:
1. You pay 12 months membership or full license upfront, you own the license forever.
2. If after 12 months you renew membership or (if you payed upfont) start paying monthly, you get upgrades, and they are yours, forever.
3. If after, say, 19 months membership, you cancel it, you own everything you received, forever.
4. If after cancelling you acquire membership again, say, 5 months later, you receive those 5 months worth of updates, BUT you do not own them, so:
5. If you cancel membership again before you pay 12 months or the price of a full license UPGRADE ($199 or so), you roll back to the point when your initial 19 month membership ended, but:
6. If you do pay for those 12 months, everything you receive until the next time you let your membership expire is yours, forever.

Attention CW team !!!    JoseC deserves a free 12 month membership for the most precise explanation of the "new order".

Windows 10/64, Intel i7 Xeon X6575 3,07GHz, 24Gb RAM, chipset: Intel X58 Express, Kingston SSD 240Gb,  Sonar Platinum , Edirol UA-25.  (Some extra VSTs: PSP almost all/  IK - AT4, ST3, / AAS - all/ TH3 full/ +10dB/ Melodyne Editor). EVE sc205 monitors, Defil Kosmos guitar, blue lava lamp, ashtray.  And there is some great music you may find at: https://soundcloud.com/pawel-jan-1

Dledge
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2
Re: Introducing the new SONAR: New lineup, new features, plus membership 2015/01/22 14:52:19 (permalink)
Is there a upgrade/cutoff date for those of us that recently purchased X3?
I just bought sonarx3 producer last November 2014
jerrydf
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 280
Re: Introducing the new SONAR: New lineup, new features, plus membership 2015/01/22 14:59:16 (permalink)
AH HA ... DIMENSION PRO REGISTRATION GLITCH - SOLUTION
Re - my mails above - not being able to register Dimension Pro - this seems to be a known glitch and Cakewalk have given a work-around ..
basically - click on the Dimension Pro launcher and run as Administrator.  Then you enter the code and you're off.
Actually this rings faint bells from a few years' ago with X3 or X2 ... having a very tiny brain I forgot all about it until now.

Cheers to everyone and get running that Sonar!!
jdf

scook
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 24146
Re: Introducing the new SONAR: New lineup, new features, plus membership 2015/01/22 15:00:56 (permalink)
Dledge
Is there a upgrade/cutoff date for those of us that recently purchased X3?
I just bought sonarx3 producer last November 2014

There is no grace period. Usually those who purchased late in the X3 cycle received a substantial discount. Sales support is the best group to contact for questions like this.
tonemangler
  • Total Posts : 42
Re: Introducing the new SONAR: New lineup, new features, plus membership 2015/01/22 17:38:27 (permalink)
rainmaker1011
Hi there,

I went for monthly payments (Platinum) via PayPal, but could you shed some light on how are the future payments going to work? Is it going to be handled automatically through PayPal? In my PayPal account Cakewalk is not marked as "Subscription" but as "Credit card payment" and is also marked as Completed.

Thank you in advance.

I'm pretty sure I read an admin post that every month cake will send you an email that a payment is due. Therefore you will have to make the payment each month, it's not automatic AFAIK.
Geo524
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 647
Re: Introducing the new SONAR: New lineup, new features, plus membership 2015/01/22 20:16:08 (permalink)
I purchased Platinum and am looking forward to installing it when I get home from work tonight, BUT (and I apologize if this question has been answered already) why does Cakewalk continue to include Dimension Pro and Rapture with every upgrade when there are no changes or enhancements to them? Just curious.

Win 10 x 64; CbB; SPlat; MixCraft 8 Pro; AMD FX4130, 3.8 GHz; DDR3 32 GB Ram; Focusrite Scarlett 18i20; SSD 1TB, 2 x 1TB and 1 x 640 GB HDD; Mackie HR624 Monitors, KRK G2 Rockit 5's, Dual HP S2331 23" Monitors
Music and SFX 
http://www.radiosparx.com/georgeandmarguerite

SteveStrummerUK
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 31112
Re: Introducing the new SONAR: New lineup, new features, plus membership 2015/01/22 20:20:21 (permalink)
Geo524
I purchased Platinum and am looking forward to installing it when I get home from work tonight, BUT (and I apologize if this question has been answered already) why does Cakewalk continue to include Dimension Pro and Rapture with every upgrade when there are no changes or enhancements to them? Just curious.

For new users I guess.

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

YouDontHasToCallMeJohnson
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 703
Re: Introducing the new SONAR: New lineup, new features, plus membership 2015/01/22 20:23:46 (permalink)
I have the $150 to pay up-front, but I have decided to pay monthly. Why? I have complained for years that Sonar should cost more. I have offered to pay more. Now I can.

This is completely self-serving. It makes me feel better. Seldom do we get to “tip” most of the vendors we purchase from. Here is an opportunity for me to show my appreciation for all the work and perseverance of the CW dudes, and the Gods of Gibson.

I always tip the parking-lot and toll-booth attendants. And of course waitresses and waiters and the sushi chef. I often give money to the local quick marts so they can cover the cost for kids that come in who do not have enough for the particular treats they desire.

Why do I do this? It makes me feel good. As Jim Rohn instructed, “Always give a larger tip than required. You will sleep better knowing you did more than expected. You will have made some one’s day happier. They will remember.” It’s all about paying-it-forward. This is what elders of the tribe do.

And I do get paid enough for audio work during the year to pay for the new program. So all the personal work I use Sonar for is free.

A few years ago my wife’s not-for-profit organization investigated becoming a membership organization. Essentially having contributors be designated members. But, in Michigan, being a “Membership” organization has some significant consequences. The “Members” have to be able to vote for the board members. Since this could result in unqualified persons becoming in control of the organization it was decided to not call the contributors “members.”

No doubt the way CW/Gibson has structured this upgrade as a “Membership” it is not subject to the Michigan requirements.

But, I do not think I am a purchasing a membership. I am purchasing a support contract. And as described, this will in the beginning be a 12 month commitment of support by the CW/Gibson dudes, with benefits.

The current scheme is a great approach. Lots of options. And flexibility.

Seems to me that Sonar is just now getting started.

And, ‘tis a better beginning to this New Year than last year’s major ice storm. My family lost two cars, and two porches, damaged the roof on my house, downed phone and power lines. This past Monday, finally, the new roof installation was completed. Took three weeks because of the weather here. Looks pretty. And so far, no leaks.

Here’s to Karma going our way.
post edited by YouDontHasToCallMeJohnson - 2015/01/22 23:18:28
SteveStrummerUK
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 31112
Re: Introducing the new SONAR: New lineup, new features, plus membership 2015/01/22 20:27:10 (permalink)
Giving is good. Everyone involved usually ends up feeling better.

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

Grem
Max Output Level: -19.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5562
Re: Introducing the new SONAR: New lineup, new features, plus membership 2015/01/22 21:28:21 (permalink)
SteveStrummerUK
Giving is good. Everyone involved usually ends up feeling better.

+1

Grem

Michael

Music PC
i7 2600K; 64gb Ram; 3 256gb SSD, System, Samples, Audio; 1TB & 2TB Project Storage; 2TB system BkUp; RME FireFace 400; Win 10 Pro 64; CWbBL 64, 
Home PC
AMD FX 6300; 8gb Ram; 256 SSD sys; 2TB audio/samples; Realtek WASAPI; Win 10 Home 64; CWbBL 64 
Surface Pro 3
Win 10  i7 8gb RAM; CWbBL 64
Geo524
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 647
Re: Introducing the new SONAR: New lineup, new features, plus membership 2015/01/22 21:45:04 (permalink)
SteveStrummerUK
Geo524

For new users I guess.

Ahh okay. That makes sense.

Win 10 x 64; CbB; SPlat; MixCraft 8 Pro; AMD FX4130, 3.8 GHz; DDR3 32 GB Ram; Focusrite Scarlett 18i20; SSD 1TB, 2 x 1TB and 1 x 640 GB HDD; Mackie HR624 Monitors, KRK G2 Rockit 5's, Dual HP S2331 23" Monitors
Music and SFX 
http://www.radiosparx.com/georgeandmarguerite

Paul P
Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2685
Re: Introducing the new SONAR: New lineup, new features, plus membership 2015/01/22 22:04:05 (permalink)
I have the $150 to pay up-front, but I have decided to pay monthly. Why? I have complained for years that Sonar should cost more. I have offered to pay more. Now I can.

I don't understand why you don't pay 200$.  Otherwise you're taking advantage of a sale, something for which you've repeatedly berated us cheapskates for doing.

Sonar Platinum [2017.10], Win7U x64 sp1, Xeon E5-1620 3.6 GHz, Asus P9X79WS, 16 GB ECC, 128gb SSD, HD7950, Mackie Blackjack
Cary
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 121
Re: Introducing the new SONAR: New lineup, new features, plus membership 2015/01/22 22:30:21 (permalink)
This finally will force me to chose. I've been a CW user from when it was midi only. I drifted to the dark side about 5 years ago and bought a Mac and used Logic and PT. It cost a fortune. Apple has priced themselves out of my life. I have been keeping my Sonar license updated every year. Cakewalk has always been good to me, so I think I'm going to pull the trigger on the new version. I need to get my chops up with Sonar again. Quite a lot has changed since I used it last.
Paul G
Max Output Level: -52 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2334
Re: Introducing the new SONAR: New lineup, new features, plus membership 2015/01/22 22:37:14 (permalink)
Cary
This finally will force me to chose. I've been a CW user from when it was midi only. I drifted to the dark side about 5 years ago and bought a Mac and used Logic and PT. It cost a fortune. Apple has priced themselves out of my life. I have been keeping my Sonar license updated every year. Cakewalk has always been good to me, so I think I'm going to pull the trigger on the new version. I need to get my chops up with Sonar again. Quite a lot has changed since I used it last.

Welcome back!

Intel i7-4790K, Win7 Pro, 16GB Ram
1TB OS, 2TB Audio, 1TB Samples
Focusrite Scarlett 6i6
Cakewalk by Bandlab
Paul Robert Glaser
The Brothers Glaser
SoundClick
Re: Introducing the new SONAR: New lineup, new features, plus membership 2015/01/22 23:17:19 (permalink)
Paul P

I don't understand why you don't pay 200$.  Otherwise you're taking advantage of a sale, something for which you've repeatedly berated us cheapskates for doing.

I do not understand your statement. I will be paying the monthly fee for upgrade from X3 pro to Sonar Platinum. This will total just less that $180, which used to be the yearly upgrade price before the stupidity of the X upgrade price.

Please explain how I can now pay $200.
Re: Introducing the new SONAR: New lineup, new features, plus membership 2015/01/22 23:27:11 (permalink)
SteveStrummerUK
Geo524

For new users I guess.

No doubt.

Eventually I will install all the items listed in the command center. Why? I find it easier to keep track of install numbers and codes if all items are the most recently purchased.

Currently got three copies of DP in the list.  It is just easier to have the latest installed, and documented.

I use an excel notebook to track all things audio/music. Got lists of every audio product, software and hardware, and instruments, I own. With date of purchase, cost, vendor, installation codes,...

I use spread sheets for all kinds of stuff: lyrics, notes, stories, websites, registrations, passwords,...   Been using spread sheets since '85. Still is my primary tool.

CakeHulk
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 63
Re: Introducing the new SONAR: New lineup, new features, plus membership 2015/01/23 09:48:16 (permalink)
New SONAR failed to install on  Chinese OS(WIN7 or WIN8) and some words appeared.
"Error Code"ZH...unable to install on this operating system. Click OK to exit."
doyouwannit
  • Total Posts : 15
Re: Introducing the new SONAR: New lineup, new features, plus membership 2015/01/23 15:02:15 (permalink)
My contention is with the price hike, $149 seems reasonable but $199 is borderline. Perhaps some consideration should be given to company support. I have been a customer for a few years, Although 199 is pocket change to working music professionals, the greatest support base is hobbyists like myself and being retired on a fixed ever dwindling income 199 is a significant sum. Perhaps some measurement of previous purchases should be considered.
I have personally spent over £700 pounds on purchases. In itself no insignificant amount.
I have spent my $149 on the latest incarnation and very pleased with the increased functionality, that said I would personally recommend that the previous incarnation be used for professional purposes, I have crashed out platinum auditioning rematrix solo on a loop. I have sent the report. You lose all unsaved data when it goes down. If that was the tweaking at the end of a mix the consequences could have been devastating.

AD2, I am in the process of downloading the program included with platinum, so far it seems seamless, the downloader has updated the interface itself, AD2, and the options, ADpacks, I already have are greyed out, only showing the packs not in my XLN account. All good so far. I will post a conclusion when I get to it.
Price base, I know Cakewalk is a business and as such the impetus is to maximise the receipts, but you're better of with volume, 149 is a snip 199 may be a cut off point.
Another possible contention, considering the uptake on the upgrade, is any groundbreaking enhancement to X5, X6 etc would be introduced at a time base of month 12.5. Business wise this would be near irresistible. On this issue alone if the major upgrade was floated at month 10 I would continue my support, it's a trust issue, you support us we'll trust you and continue with our support. Mind how you go. What looks good on paper does not always reflect reality.
chamlin
  • Total Posts : 260
Re: Introducing the new SONAR: New lineup, new features, plus membership 2015/01/23 16:33:17 (permalink)
Is there a time limit as to when the $14.99/mo. or $149 version will be available to us?
Andrew Rossa
Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1910
Re: Introducing the new SONAR: New lineup, new features, plus membership 2015/01/23 16:45:25 (permalink)
mikebeam
1.  Do you provide Educator Discounts to the upgrade price?
2.  Can you give us information on how long this introductory price will last?

There are not upgrades for EDU customers. It's the same a regular customer. Those people did get discounts upfront.

We'll give people plenty of heads up when into pricing is ending.
benvenisti
  • Total Posts : 29
Re: Introducing the new SONAR: New lineup, new features, plus membership 2015/01/23 16:52:28 (permalink)

THIS IS NOT AN AD. I AM A DYED IN THE STRAP LEATHER CAKEWALK USER.
(For DSPs I prefer the Scope platform to PT). I am not a Mac snob either (No offense. My brother is. I am and always was into open hardware and I'm ready to get flamed).

Just got an email from Avid... Well don't look now but....

Pro Tools 12:
The industry standard music and audio production software (?) is now easier to access than ever before thanks to new subscription and flexible licensing options. And get ready to bring more power to your mixes with groundbreaking new Avid Cloud Collaboration functionality. Plus check out the absolutely free version. No money? No instrument? No problem.

Jes sayin...

X3e Producer 64, Platinum 64, Cantabile 3, NI Ultimate 8; Roland A-500 Pro, MOTU 828 Mk II, Radikal SAC 2K; Notebook PC: Pro-Star P150SM, i7 4700MQ @ 3.4 Ghz, 32GB, 128GB + 480GB SSDs, 750GB HD, Nvidia GTX 770M, Windows 8.1, Mackie Big-Knob, NADY XA-900, Event 20/20's; SCOPE 5.1 Pro: HP XW4600, Q9400 2.66 Ghz, 8GB RAM, Seagate 2 TB SSHD, EVGA GeForce GT 610, EVGA PCIe Power Booster, , Windows 7 Pro, PowerPulsar, Pulsar2, Luna II w/ 24/96 I/O, MOTIF and TRITON racks via ADAT, Roland XV-5050, E-MU B-3, Proteus

http://www.soundassets.com
WallyG
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 833
Re: Introducing the new SONAR: New lineup, new features, plus membership 2015/01/23 16:56:46 (permalink)
972swone
Sorry for the reply 
Another one  --"Sonar" its an new version or just Big Update
I must Do an clean setup ?

Got Sonar X3e !

Don't ever uninstall a previous

That is great side benefit of this new model! You don't have to keep saving versions. Just the ones up until SONAR!
Walt

Roland Jupiter 80, Roland D50, Roland Integra 7, Roland BK-7m, Yamaha Montage 6, ARP Odyssey, Excelsior Continental Artist, Roland FR-8X, 1967 Fender Jaguar, Fender Strat,  Fender 1965 Twin Reverb reissue, Selmer Trumpet, Akai EWI, Studio One 4 Professional, Melodyne Studio 4, Behringer X-Touch, RME Fireface UCX, MOTU MIDI Express XT - ADK Pro Audio Hex Xtreme 6 Core i7 4.5GHz, 64GB, 480GB SS, 3 X 3TB Hard Drives, Win 10, 2 X 27" & 1X 46" Monitors,
My WEB site - www.gontowski.com/music
lludwick
  • Total Posts : 74
Re: Introducing the new SONAR: New lineup, new features, plus membership 2015/01/23 17:27:13 (permalink)
benvenisti

THIS IS NOT AN AD. I AM A DYED IN THE STRAP LEATHER CAKEWALK USER.
(For DSPs I prefer the Scope platform to PT). I am not a Mac snob either (No offense. My brother is. I am and always was into open hardware and I'm ready to get flamed).

Just got an email from Avid... Well don't look now but....

Pro Tools 12:
The industry standard music and audio production software (?) is now easier to access than ever before thanks to new subscription and flexible licensing options. And get ready to bring more power to your mixes with groundbreaking new Avid Cloud Collaboration functionality. Plus check out the absolutely free version. No money? No instrument? No problem.

Jes sayin...

I saw the Avid announcement on the Sweetwater site a few minutes ago. There is a free entry level version which I would assume is pretty stripped down, but might be a way to introduce new users to Pro Tools concepts.

It doe say you can buy to own or subscribe, but no details have been provided yet from what I can see. I suppose they mean to provide a cloud component to allow sharing of collaboration files.

Although they claim a low cost subscription, that could mean anything "low cost" is in the eyes of the beholder.
scook
Forum Host
Re: Introducing the new SONAR: New lineup, new features, plus membership 2015/01/23 17:58:23 (permalink)
It might be a good idea to avoid making product announcements about competing products or discussing the announcement in this thread

just sayin'
chamlin
  • Total Posts : 260
Re: Introducing the new SONAR: New lineup, new features, plus membership 2015/01/23 19:00:32 (permalink)
In the past, I used to keep Sonar 8.53 installed along with Sonar X3e. Cautionary procedure. Never needed to use 8.53 once I switched over. (Still learning X3e a little at a time.)

Wondering if people are doing that with the new version? Keeping X3e installed and doing a separate install for Platinum?

And what about things like Dimension Pro, Addictive Drums 2, etc.?
scook
Forum Host
Re: Introducing the new SONAR: New lineup, new features, plus membership 2015/01/23 19:03:16 (permalink)
yes, keeping X3e Producer, DimPro, etc. installed reduces the download to three small installers SONAR Platinum, Anderton Collection, Help and Tutorials.
cityrat
Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 671
Re: Introducing the new SONAR: New lineup, new features, plus membership 2015/01/23 19:11:41 (permalink)
lludwick@nyc.rr.com

I saw the Avid announcement on the Sweetwater site a few minutes ago. There is a free entry level version which I would assume is pretty stripped down, but might be a way to introduce new users to Pro Tools concepts.

It doe say you can buy to own or subscribe, but no details have been provided yet from what I can see. I suppose they mean to provide a cloud component to allow sharing of collaboration files.

Although they claim a low cost subscription, that could mean anything "low cost" is in the eyes of the beholder.

Yeah, this seems pretty bad - all projects are "in the cloud".  Sounds like a ploy by Avid to suck people into a truly "pay as you go" type of service but who knows.   REALLY cut down, look like no "staff" etc.  Glad CW has not done this - we'd have the pitchforks out

http://www.avid.com/US/pr...tware-comparison-table

Sonar Platinum | Windows 7 64 bit SP1 | Intel i5 3570 3.4GHz | 8GB RAM | Gigabyte GA-B75-D3H | OCZ SSD | RME 9632
lludwick
  • Total Posts : 74
Re: Introducing the new SONAR: New lineup, new features, plus membership 2015/01/23 19:33:05 (permalink)
scook
It might be a good idea to avoid making product announcements about competing products or discussing the announcement in this thread

just sayin'

I think the irony is the reason for the post ... CW comes out with a subscription plan and then Avid follows immediately. I think we are seeing a trend.
Andrew Rossa
Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1910
Re: Introducing the new SONAR: New lineup, new features, plus membership 2015/01/23 20:32:25 (permalink)
tonemangler
rainmaker1011
Hi there,

I went for monthly payments (Platinum) via PayPal, but could you shed some light on how are the future payments going to work? Is it going to be handled automatically through PayPal? In my PayPal account Cakewalk is not marked as "Subscription" but as "Credit card payment" and is also marked as Completed.

Thank you in advance.

I'm pretty sure I read an admin post that every month cake will send you an email that a payment is due. Therefore you will have to make the payment each month, it's not automatic AFAIK.

It is automatic. 
Page: << < ..4647484950 > Showing page 47 of 50
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1