Helpful ReplyNo notation fixes!

Page: << < ..2122232425.. > >> Showing page 21 of 40
Author
michael diemer
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1128
Re: No notation fixes! 2015/05/06 13:20:43 (permalink)
Thanks IFM for that info. I'm not sure I need or want a pro-level notation, just something that gives a true, if somewhat basic, representation of my music, which is full-orchestra. I'm not thinking so much in terms of publication/performance, but rather leaving something behind that makes sense to someone down the road. (Hey, we can all at least die hoping that someday our music will be played!).

I'm currently looking at MuseScore, trying to see if I can export midi to it and then do what I need to do to get it to a decent level.

michael diemer
Intel Quad Core i7-3770 Ivy Bridge
32 GB ram
1TB Western Digital Black X2
Microsoft Windows 7 Pro 64
UR22 interface
Bandlab Cakewalk/Sonar 8.5 Studio
GPO-EWQLSO Gold-Vienna SP ED-Cinematic Strings 2

vintagevibe
Max Output Level: -51 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2446
Re: No notation fixes! 2015/05/06 13:25:36 (permalink)

michael diemer
I can't understand why cubase has such a reputation. I am mystified by its GUI. Don't like it all.

The reputation is because of its sheer power.  It really has amazing functions (especially MIDI) that you really have to work with to appreciate.  The GUI is strange coming from Sonar but changing DAWs is always hard.  You may not need all that power and no DAW is right for everyone.  

Examples of MIDI functions that I like:  

1) I can play a timpani roll on a keyboard or drum pad that sounds exactly I want it to.  Then in the score I can turn it (visually) into a whole not with roll markings.  The underlying MIDI data is not changed but the score looks correct and doesn't have a 32nd note mess.  I wish Sibelius could do that.
2) The Time Warp function blows me away.  Among many other tricks you can manually or automatically move individual barlines to create the perfect timing. 
3)  Instead of using keyswitches and messing up my notation I can pull all articulations from a menu and simple mark the score with them just like I would with a real orchestra.

YMMV

p.s. Props to Sonar - I miss the docking.  Cubase is part of the way there but I still have a lot of windows to deal with.  

michael diemer
Re: No notation fixes! 2015/05/06 14:59:54 (permalink)
I did hear cubase has great midi editing. With Timpani, what I've done is put in every note in sonar, adjusting the length as needed. Then, I would notate it "correctly" in my "print version" of sonar, which is a condensed version without all the extra tracks for different patches. I would just put in a whole not or whatever, and when I printed it out, I would add in the wavy line by hand. Believe it or not, I have made full scores for five symphonic works doing things like that. but they were not meant for performance, just to send to the copyright office (in my younger years I suffered from the delusion that someone would actually be interested in performing my music).

michael diemer
32 GB ram
UR22 interface

Elffin
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1196
Re: No notation fixes! 2015/05/06 15:30:55 (permalink)
Here in the Uk there appeared to be a major push in education by avid for both sibelius and protools. Craig is right that some users might not change daw .. but the 'lacking' notation tools would interfere with school's and colleges choice of Daw and thus effectivley breed a large number of Users who would not have used sonar and make their possible user/customer base smaller.

sonar has so many advantages for schools its a darn pity that it might always be overlooked because of this one area which just needs a little TLC.

I would pay xtra tomorrow if sonar charged a 100 or more if it improved this one essential aspect of the program.
jsg
Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1079
Re: No notation fixes! 2015/05/06 16:33:55 (permalink)
For what it's worth, I am letting people know the following:

I've purchased DP8 for Windows and it is fantastic.  All my concerns about the event list, docking, multiple staff windows and everything else have been alleviated.  DP is superior to Sonar in ergonomics, MIDI functions (more of them and deeper, with more options), and of course the staff view displays triplets, tied triplets, 64th notes and dotted triplets correctly.  ;>)!  DP's handling of tempo and meter are also much more sophisticated than Sonar.
MIDI over LAN is great, I'm having no issues with MIDI, audio, VSTs or notation.

DP's Window sets work better than Sonar, I can hotkey multiple staff views, each with their own instrument tracks.  I was wrong about that too. 

The color choices are amazing.  They all work properly and are easy to change.  The program has more depth than Sonar and it feels and looks like a precision, professional tool, rather than the X series of Sonar which always looked more toyish to me.  The film scoring features are the best--DP's integration with timecode, streamers, punches and click tracks are amazing.  It is definitely designed for serious musicians, film, TV and game composers, arrangers, classical composers and orchestrators.  The chunks feature allows multiple sequences in one file, perfect for scoring cues to picture.  The learning-curve is fairly steep, it is a deep program. 

I had the concern that the event list wasn't color coded, but, again, thankfully, I was wrong.  You can do a search for any event in the list and DP will highlight it so checking for errors is easy. 

I lost faith in Cakewalk after multiple versions kept introducing new bugs and ignoring the old ones and they kept telling us they will get to the staff view.  Seems that CW is far more interested in adding new features than fixing bugs.  I couldn't live with that anymore.  After giving CW my money for 22 years I am done.  I uninstalled Sonar from my DAW and though I am still learning DP, I am happier about my DAW than I've been in years.    If CW doesn't change their mindset about what a DAW is, the competition is going to outdo them.  DP is proof.

Jerry

ltb
Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2707
Re: No notation fixes! 2015/05/06 16:55:39 (permalink)
jsg
For what it's worth, I am letting people know the following:

I've purchased DP8 for Windows and it is fantastic.  All my concerns about the event list, docking, multiple staff windows and everything else have been alleviated.  DP is superior to Sonar in ergonomics, MIDI functions (more of them and deeper, with more options), and of course the staff view displays triplets, tied triplets, 64th notes and dotted triplets correctly.  ;>)!  DP's handling of tempo and meter are also much more sophisticated than Sonar.
MIDI over LAN is great, I'm having no issues with MIDI, audio, VSTs or notation.

DP's Window sets work better than Sonar, I can hotkey multiple staff views, each with their own instrument tracks.  I was wrong about that too. 

The color choices are amazing.  They all work properly and are easy to change.  The program has more depth than Sonar and it feels and looks like a precision, professional tool, rather than the X series of Sonar which always looked more toyish to me.  The film scoring features are the best--DP's integration with timecode, streamers, punches and click tracks are amazing.  It is definitely designed for serious musicians, film, TV and game composers, arrangers, classical composers and orchestrators.  The chunks feature allows multiple sequences in one file, perfect for scoring cues to picture.  The learning-curve is fairly steep, it is a deep program. 

I had the concern that the event list wasn't color coded, but, again, thankfully, I was wrong.  You can do a search for any event in the list and DP will highlight it so checking for errors is easy. 

I lost faith in Cakewalk after multiple versions kept introducing new bugs and ignoring the old ones and they kept telling us they will get to the staff view.  Seems that CW is far more interested in adding new features than fixing bugs.  I couldn't live with that anymore.  After giving CW my money for 22 years I am done.  I uninstalled Sonar from my DAW and though I am still learning DP, I am happier about my DAW than I've been in years.    If CW doesn't change their mindset about what a DAW is, the competition is going to outdo them.  DP is proof.

Jerry

I tried DP Win when it was first released but it had too many problems.

*I demoed it again this week & it's been greatly improved.
post edited by carl - 2015/05/10 12:23:35
jatoth
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 363
Re: No notation fixes! 2015/05/06 17:23:56 (permalink)
Thanks for the review Jerry. What has been the downside so far?

John

X3e Producer, Sonar Platinum, Sweetwater CreationStation i5 3.1gHz, 12 GB RAM, 500GB SSD OS drive, 1TB SSD audio drive, 1TB archive/misc drive, dual 22" monitors, Windows 7x64, SaffirePro40 (firewire), MOTU MIDI Express XT, Behringer BCF2000, dbx 586, Samson Servo 120a, Yamaha HS80M, Auratone 5c Cubes, Sennheiser HD650, Sony MDR 7509HD, Sony MDR 7506, Kurzweil K2500XS, Roland XP-30, Proteus 2000.
Jon Bryson
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 377
Re: No notation fixes! 2015/05/06 17:26:38 (permalink)
Chunks were something I really liked in DP.  I put in a feature request some time back for something like this in Sonar.  Video features are terrific.  When I tried demo the first time I kept running in to bugs.  I re-upped my demo and am in contact with a support guy this time in case I have problems.

jsg
Re: No notation fixes! 2015/05/06 18:42:48 (permalink)
jatoth
Thanks for the review Jerry. What has been the downside so far?

The only downside was when DP8 for Windows was first released, it was buggy, as to be expected with a first version for a new OS.  But with 8.07, I have found no serious issues at all, nothing that requires "workarounds" (I spent a good deal of valuable time hunting for "workarounds" with nearly every version of Sonar by comparison).  This is why I waited as long as I did.  I guess some people would consider the learning curve a downside, but I don't.  I study software manuals and really dive into things, so for me the learning curve is expected.  I'll be as fast on DP as I was with Sonar probably within a few months.

Jerry
www.jerrygerber.com

Anderton
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: No notation fixes! 2015/05/06 21:32:17 (permalink)
I would never say anything negative about DP simply because I don't have anything negative to say about it. It's a fine program and I've known the people behind it for literally decades. It was never really my cup of tea, yet when I was exclusively part of "press world" MOTU always made sure I had the latest version, and I always made sure to cover it and learn about it so I could write about tips and techniques because I felt it deserved the attention...even more so after what Apple did, with dropping the price of Logic and pulling the rug out from under competing software companies.

Similarly I can see why some people love Cubase, Ableton Live, FL Studio, Pro Tools, Mixcraft, or whatever. Each has its own target audience. Jerry, you ARE DP's target audience. What you want is something DP does extremely well. Conversely, what I want is something SONAR does extremely well - handle a huge variety of projects. I couldn't imagine, for example, creating a sample library in any other program, or narration for that matter (except in Sequoia, the only DAW I know of that can do four-point broadcast editing). I don't experience crashes or even glitches, and really, I don't need to do workarounds because my needs are congruent with what SONAR delivers.

The one place where I will take issue with you is your belief that CW is "far more interested in adding new features than fixing bugs." Ther bug fix list from X3 to Platinum, and during the first three releases, is significant. Granted, fixes are based on community input, and as I mentioned, most people don't buy SONAR for the staff view so their concerns lie elsewhere. One of the main reasons for introducing the Membership Program was specifically so that fixes would occur continuously, not just for a few months and then have to be put aside to develop a new version. One of Cakewalk's main priorities is to make SONAR at least as stable as any other DAW, and this was seen as a better way to meet that goal. I think the past three months have shown that Cakewalk is very serious about addressing bugs and workflow issues that have accumulated over the years.

Of course, the price Cakewalk pays for concentrating on fixes is there will always be people who find the latest release "underwhelming" since the improvements are under the hood. Regardless, at least to me VocalSync is incredibly useful and the only way I could have gotten it was by subscribing to Adobe Audition, which has something similar, or paying far more than what the SONAR update costs for a third-party plug-in. Mix Recall has also been huge for me, as someone who needs to create multiple versions of mixes and remixes. Matrix View means I don't have to ReWire Ableton Live into SONAR...ARA is a future-oriented protocol that's not just about integrating Melodyne...and so on.

If there's one thing I've learned after working with multiple DAWs over decades, it's that you need to find the one that addresses your needs the best.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
komposer
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 52
Re: No notation fixes! 2015/05/06 22:07:00 (permalink)
I tried DP when it first became available for Win and it literally froze on startup and I wasn't ever able to even try it. It's good to know they've fixed it but I'm invested in Sonar to a great degree now so I have to wish CW could be as attentive to the needs of music-to-picture composers as DP.

I'm able to do it with Sonar but not without importing notation/midi from a separate program and stepping down video quality to import and work.

I really love Sonar as well as the culture of the users and creators, but I'm becoming more and more confused and disillusioned with the progress of new releases (see Rapture Pro) and troubleshooting every month's release.

If you would just like us notation and video folks to go away, well...
jsg
Re: No notation fixes! 2015/05/06 22:42:33 (permalink)
Anderton
I would never say anything negative about DP simply because I don't have anything negative to say about it. It's a fine program and I've known the people behind it for literally decades. It was never really my cup of tea, yet when I was exclusively part of "press world" MOTU always made sure I had the latest version, and I always made sure to cover it and learn about it so I could write about tips and techniques because I felt it deserved the attention...even more so after what Apple did, with dropping the price of Logic and pulling the rug out from under competing software companies.

Similarly I can see why some people love Cubase, Ableton Live, FL Studio, Pro Tools, Mixcraft, or whatever. Each has its own target audience. Jerry, you ARE DP's target audience. What you want is something DP does extremely well. Conversely, what I want is something SONAR does extremely well - handle a huge variety of projects. I couldn't imagine, for example, creating a sample library in any other program, or narration for that matter (except in Sequoia, the only DAW I know of that can do four-point broadcast editing). I don't experience crashes or even glitches, and really, I don't need to do workarounds because my needs are congruent with what SONAR delivers.

The one place where I will take issue with you is your belief that CW is "far more interested in adding new features than fixing bugs." Ther bug fix list from X3 to Platinum, and during the first three releases, is significant. Granted, fixes are based on community input, and as I mentioned, most people don't buy SONAR for the staff view so their concerns lie elsewhere. One of the main reasons for introducing the Membership Program was specifically so that fixes would occur continuously, not just for a few months and then have to be put aside to develop a new version. One of Cakewalk's main priorities is to make SONAR at least as stable as any other DAW, and this was seen as a better way to meet that goal. I think the past three months have shown that Cakewalk is very serious about addressing bugs and workflow issues that have accumulated over the years.

Of course, the price Cakewalk pays for concentrating on fixes is there will always be people who find the latest release "underwhelming" since the improvements are under the hood. Regardless, at least to me VocalSync is incredibly useful and the only way I could have gotten it was by subscribing to Adobe Audition, which has something similar, or paying far more than what the SONAR update costs for a third-party plug-in. Mix Recall has also been huge for me, as someone who needs to create multiple versions of mixes and remixes. Matrix View means I don't have to ReWire Ableton Live into SONAR...ARA is a future-oriented protocol that's not just about integrating Melodyne...and so on.

If there's one thing I've learned after working with multiple DAWs over decades, it's that you need to find the one that addresses your needs the best.

May each of us find happiness with our creativity and enjoy our brief stay on Earth.   150 years ago we didn't even have electric light bulbs.   What we have now to make music with is beyond astonishing.  When I graduated college with my music degree MIDI was still a year away.  
Anderton
Re: No notation fixes! 2015/05/06 23:42:33 (permalink)
komposer
If you would just like us notation and video folks to go away, well...

I think Cakewalk probably wishes there was a simple and cost-effective solution to take care of both, preferably yesterday 

As to video, Microsoft did do a major overhaul to the underlying video engine (which SONAR adopted) but I get the feeling that Microsoft's work with it probably isn't done yet, and we'll have to wait until Windows 10 for the next step.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
Susan G
  • Total Posts : 12016
Re: No notation fixes! 2015/05/06 23:49:54 (permalink)
Anderton
Sorry, the second paragraph was a hypothetical of Image-Line saying someone complained because "they read in the SONAR forum that all updates are free." That's not exactly what you said, but is what someone might read it your post because that's what they want to read into it.

Hi Craig-

Well, that's not even close to what I said, let alone "exactly"! "FL Studio" isn't the same as "all Image-Line products," just as "SONAR" isn't the same as "all Cakewalk products."

I've been following the I-L forums for many, many years and they make their update policies very clear. The free lifetime upgrades for FL Studio is one of their main selling points and I don't think I've ever seen a post there confusing FL Studio with one of their other products.

Granted, the I-L forums are for registered users only, so maybe folks have complained elsewhere that I don't know about.

Thanks-

-Susan

2.30 gigahertz Intel Core i7-3610QM; 16 GB RAM
Windows 10 x64; NI Komplete Audio 6.
SONAR Platinum (Lexington) x64
generay
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10
Re: No notation fixes! 2015/05/07 00:04:01 (permalink)
I put in my 2cents about this issue a good while ago.  The notation in Pro Audio was pretty good. Since that version, CW, has decreased  notation to scraps and that hurt. When I bought Sonar X3, loaded everything, closed my eyes  I clicked on the notation staff, to find nothing's changed.  If anything , at least copy the Pro Audio notation version over to the latest upgrades.   While upgrades and fixes continue to rollout,  I still request  more programing would be put into Sonar notation. Notes and manuscripts are still the foundation of music.  Im baffeled why a music software slightly supports it.

As for writing, Im making due with X3, and  I also use Pro Tracks Audio for for that. Their files are  compatible with CW files and their program is very professional and affordable.  I love the Cord detection its a breeze. Just import a midi track and its adds editable cords and plays them back..

Gene Brown Music @
http://genebrown.net

riojazz
Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1337
Re: No notation fixes! 2015/05/07 00:25:37 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby cparmerlee 2015/05/07 00:49:18
I have a buddy who raves about Digital Performer on his Mac, so I tried the demo for the Windows version when it first came out.  Like Komposer described a few posts above, it was so buggy I quickly uninstalled it.  Now I'll have to try the demo again. 

And why was I looking in the first place?  Staff view. 

I like to compose and especially edit using music notation.  Several here have posted how Cakewalk may already be losing future users in music schools, and apparently from this thread, there are some who may become past users as soon as they find an alternative that meets their needs better.  I hope the length of this thread and the number of users participating helps Cakewalk decide to move Staff View up in priority.  Maybe I am DP's target demographic, but I've been with Pro Audio and SONAR so long I really don't want to leave.

Software: Cakewalk by Bandlab; Adobe Audition; Band-in-A-Box audiophile; Izotope Ozone; Encore; Melodyne; Win 10 Pro, 64-bit.

Hardware: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 2nd; Roland Integra-7; TCE Finalizer; Presonus Central Station, Behringer X-Touch.  Home built i7 with 16 GB RAM, SSDs.
Kamikaze
Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3013
Re: No notation fixes! 2015/05/07 00:36:48 (permalink)
A while back I trawled through the posters to demonstrate how many were complaining since X1. Quite a lot of them stop posting, So I guess they many moved on. Staff View may not have been the factor, but likely in many cases a factor, especially those who said it was at that time. Back then Jerry was defending it, but over time his stance shifted and now he has joined them too.

Anderton
Re: No notation fixes! 2015/05/07 01:00:46 (permalink)
Susan G
I've been following the I-L forums for many, many years and they make their update policies very clear. The free lifetime upgrades for FL Studio is one of their main selling points and I don't think I've ever seen a post there confusing FL Studio with one of their other products.

Granted, the I-L forums are for registered users only, so maybe folks have complained elsewhere that I don't know about.

Again I apologize for drifting off notation, but don't overthink this. You said FL Studio offers free lifetime upgrades. This is true. You know it, I know it, and people who've read the FAQ on the I-L site know it. I think the confusion arises because sometimes instruments are included in an FLS update and sometimes they're not. So just as some people here got totally bent out of shape because they thought a SONAR update meant a Rapture update, the same happens with other software. This also happened with Live when they brought out their FM synth concurrent with a Live update. And because Ensoniq provided a lot of free samples for their samplers, when they brought out ones that were for sale people felt that should get them for free. I could go on with the Air instruments for Pro Tools etc. etc. but you get the point. I'm sensitive to this because I've seen it happen often. Just because you know how to read doesn't mean the rest of the world does

So I wanted to make sure people didn't get the wrong impression, especially if they then attribute it to a forum run by a semi-competing manufacturer. This is why I quoted that section from the FAQ on the I-L site. That way no one could misread what was said.

jsg
Re: No notation fixes! 2015/05/07 01:14:41 (permalink)
riojazz
I have a buddy who raves about Digital Performer on his Mac, so I tried the demo for the Windows version when it first came out.  Like Komposer described a few posts above, it was so buggy I quickly uninstalled it.  Now I'll have to try the demo again. 

And why was I looking in the first place?  Staff view. 

I like to compose and especially edit using music notation.  Several here have posted how Cakewalk may already be losing future users in music schools, and apparently from this thread, there are some who may become past users as soon as they find an alternative that meets their needs better.  I hope the length of this thread and the number of users participating helps Cakewalk decide to move Staff View up in priority.  Maybe I am DP's target demographic, but I've been with Pro Audio and SONAR so long I really don't want to leave.

Same here, the first release for Windows was buggy, I took it off my computer as well.  But I never forgot the beautiful interface, the superior notation and the fact that it supports 64-bit and VSTs.  So I waited and downloaded it again last month.  This time I was resolved to find out what the MIDI issues were, I never found out for sure but my suspicion it was about USB, and not DP or my interfaces.  I bought a piece of software for $70 called MIDI over LAN (sending out midi data to second machine) and that not only fixed all the midi issues, it helped me to reduce the number of cables and interfaces in my studio.

There are two ways to look at scoring.  Some composers like working off an ordinary page, the way DP emulates it.  Some, including arrangers and orchestrators, like working off a large score pad (traditional, before computers), which is the way Sonar designed the notation graphics.  I like both approaches for different reasons, but if you are looking for better notation, DP is definitely much stronger in that department. 

The learning curve is definitely a factor. You have to really want to learn something new.  I was highly motivated so here I am, working on a new symphonic movement in a new DAW.  I think I took Sonar's complexity for granted because the keystrokes were in my muscle memory for so many years.  Learning a new DAW involves new muscle memory movements, but the basic concepts are the same in all DAWs with a notation editor.  Knowing one DAW well helps in learning another one, not in terms of keystrokes, but in terms of concept, functionality and implementation.

Jerry
www.jerrygerber.com

lfm
Max Output Level: -53 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2216
Re: No notation fixes! 2015/05/07 01:57:36 (permalink)
jsg
riojazz

Same here, the first release for Windows was buggy, I took it off my computer as well.  But I never forgot the beautiful interface, the superior notation and the fact that it supports 64-bit and VSTs.  So I waited and downloaded it again last month.  
Jerry
www.jerrygerber.com

Current DP version for windows is 8.07(sept 2014) still, which I ran in december.

All tuts crashed on me, but own projects worked fine.
Waves Element synth, scans but nowhere to be found for insert.
DDMF Metaplugin got both version Synth/effect as effect so nowhere to be inserted as synth - or I could load Element with Metaplugin, so fail again.

Dave was kind to let me trial twice 8.04 and 8.07, but still for me showstoppers.
Then it was scan of Magix Independent that hung and could not be used.

But will check DP9, unless Cakewalk announce something first for notation improvements.
I also like chunks idea in DP but for me Cubase style Arranger Tracks in Sonar would do as supplement.
I will try Insert Time in Sonar and see how well it works as a workaround.

I really want my full chain of events to notation if possible - for registration purposes of songs - with least amount of effort. And since I took drum lessons two years ago and learned to read drumscore, I realized the weakness of current daw treatment. Just about all beats I come up with are triplet based. And running daw as 12/8 and translate to 4/4 triplet score is a battle.
jsg
Re: No notation fixes! 2015/05/07 15:39:26 (permalink)
lfm
jsg
riojazz

Same here, the first release for Windows was buggy, I took it off my computer as well.  But I never forgot the beautiful interface, the superior notation and the fact that it supports 64-bit and VSTs.  So I waited and downloaded it again last month.  
Jerry
www.jerrygerber.com

Current DP version for windows is 8.07(sept 2014) still, which I ran in december.

All tuts crashed on me, but own projects worked fine.
Waves Element synth, scans but nowhere to be found for insert.
DDMF Metaplugin got both version Synth/effect as effect so nowhere to be inserted as synth - or I could load Element with Metaplugin, so fail again.

Dave was kind to let me trial twice 8.04 and 8.07, but still for me showstoppers.
Then it was scan of Magix Independent that hung and could not be used.

But will check DP9, unless Cakewalk announce something first for notation improvements.
I also like chunks idea in DP but for me Cubase style Arranger Tracks in Sonar would do as supplement.
I will try Insert Time in Sonar and see how well it works as a workaround.

I really want my full chain of events to notation if possible - for registration purposes of songs - with least amount of effort. And since I took drum lessons two years ago and learned to read drumscore, I realized the weakness of current daw treatment. Just about all beats I come up with are triplet based. And running daw as 12/8 and translate to 4/4 triplet score is a battle.

I'm running DP 8.07 on a Windows 7 service pack 1 64-bit machine (16 GB mem) and it is working fine.  So far I've tested midi playback and editing, audio playback and editing, audio file import, bounce to disc, VST plugins (I have about 10 and they all are working including a 32-bit synth with a jbridge wrapper).  An occasional crash if I close a file too quickly with Kontakt 4 running.  If I first close the file and then close the program this resolves it.  Otherwise all is well...

JG
www.jerrygerber.com

lfm
Re: No notation fixes! 2015/05/07 16:37:22 (permalink)
jsg
I'm running DP 8.07 on a Windows 7 service pack 1 64-bit machine (16 GB mem) and it is working fine.  So far I've tested midi playback and editing, audio playback and editing, audio file import, bounce to disc, VST plugins (I have about 10 and they all are working including a 32-bit synth with a jbridge wrapper).  An occasional crash if I close a file too quickly with Kontakt 4 running.  If I first close the file and then close the program this resolves it.  Otherwise all is well...

JG
www.jerrygerber.com

Just mentioned two major bummers with DP for me, Waves Element synth and Metaplugin.
Metaplugin being the life saver in so many areas overcoming routing limitations in daws.
Other VI and the external instruments are fine.
Their tuts I had crashes with, might be Mac versions I downloaded or something, don't know, but no sign of that they would try to solve it either.

Compare with dedication from Waves, calling me(Scandinavia, sweden) from US and running TeamViewer for hours trying to nail issue I had with a plugin. Finally traced to be a bug in plugin which they are looking into now. I'll gladly pay WUP to have my tools working as I gladly pay membership by Cakewalk to have these fixes coming all the time.

What are Motu up too, really, now two years after launch - still with plugin scan issues?
**** happends in all software, difference is what a vendor do about it.
Cakewalk means business, to me.

jsg
Re: No notation fixes! 2015/05/07 23:01:18 (permalink)
lfm
jsg

JG
www.jerrygerber.com

Just mentioned two major bummers with DP for me, Waves Element synth and Metaplugin.
Metaplugin being the life saver in so many areas overcoming routing limitations in daws.
Other VI and the external instruments are fine.
Their tuts I had crashes with, might be Mac versions I downloaded or something, don't know, but no sign of that they would try to solve it either.

Compare with dedication from Waves, calling me(Scandinavia, sweden) from US and running TeamViewer for hours trying to nail issue I had with a plugin. Finally traced to be a bug in plugin which they are looking into now. I'll gladly pay WUP to have my tools working as I gladly pay membership by Cakewalk to have these fixes coming all the time.

What are Motu up too, really, now two years after launch - still with plugin scan issues?
**** happends in all software, difference is what a vendor do about it.
Cakewalk means business, to me.

FYI:

It wouldn't surprise me if the errors end-users encounter with software are attributable to user-error or user-system configuration as often as there are actual bugs in software.  This may, or may not, be the case with you.  I successfully scanned the following VST plugins with DP8.07 for Windows (Win7, 64-bit, sp1):

Synthesizers:
Massive
Kontakt
FM8
Rapture
Z3TA-2
Dimension Pro
Tera

Signal processing:
Ozone 5 mastering suite
Power Suite 5 signal plugin suit

I've been playing the synths and working on a piece with Kontakt 4 and it all works properly. 

So, might it be systemic to your drivers, OS setup, or some other problem. 

ronboy1952
  • Total Posts : 45
Re: No notation fixes! 2015/05/07 23:03:25 (permalink)
I agree with Jerry about most cakewalk customers don't read music so why should they concentrate on a good notation editor! I also think that a good notation editor is beyond cakewalk's developement team talent. I say this because most of the new plugins and developement come from other companies such as Roland. I'd be willing to bet that some other company will help or just plain develope Sonar's notation editor when and if it happens.
Kamikaze
Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3013
Re: No notation fixes! 2015/05/07 23:12:04 (permalink)
What have we had new from Roland. Not disputing the idea that Cake don't really understand their own Staff view mechanism to fix and develop it. Just wondered apart from V-Vocal, which is now old, what came from Roland. Thought Overloud  and SoftTubes developed thier plugs, and the latest addition Rap. Pro, is in house.

lfm
Re: No notation fixes! 2015/05/08 05:41:21 (permalink)
jsg

So, might it be systemic to your drivers, OS setup, or some other problem. 

..and what did MOtu do to figure that out - zero, zilch, nothing - that was my point.
Addictive Keys, Magix Independent Pro, Dimension Pro, Wivi Orchestral brass, PatchworkSynth ran just fine.
Workaround to run Element was to load inside Patchwork, since you load directly from disk by yourself.
But found no workaround for Metaplugin - since both effect and synth version were listed only among effects - DP probably got confused since MetapluginSynth have audio inputs, which is VST3 only for synths.

But more than anything - is Motu reliable when it comes maintenance?

I feel Cake is more determined than anybody else - I can wait for them to improve something, if not showstoppers. So any improvement on metronome and/or notation - bond is even stronger. I'll buy up to Platinum even to get that, now running Artist. Rewire improvements targeting some notation software or internal staff view improvements.

Notation improvements has been on wishlist on Sonar forum since I ran Sonar 4. Maybe ripe time is now.
Brando
Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2776
Re: No notation fixes! 2015/05/08 10:23:10 (permalink)
ronboy1952
I agree with Jerry about most cakewalk customers don't read music so why should they concentrate on a good notation editor! I also think that a good notation editor is beyond cakewalk's developement team talent. I say this because most of the new plugins and developement come from other companies such as Roland. I'd be willing to bet that some other company will help or just plain develope Sonar's notation editor when and if it happens.

Simplification to say most users don't read music, imo. After years of training in the conservatory of music, I am quite adept at reading and sight reading. But after years of playing in bands, I developed a better ear and improvisational skills. I compose in PRV and rarely in staff view- and when I need notation, I export midi from sonar into Notion or Progression. I've tried rewire but it is so limiting as to not be worth the trouble.
Even Jerry got by with Sonar's limitations for a lot of years before losing patience. A lot of users have found a way to get through. That said, I would guess most users have at least some basic skill in notation, chords or TAB, and would benefit from fixing long standing bugs, and bringing the staff view up to date. Most users are musicians first and foremost. I would hazard a guess that almost all users would like to at least print a reasonable lead sheet/score of their composition or interpretation. (IMO)

Brando
Cakewalk, Studio One Pro, Reaper
Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL
ASUS Prime Z370-A LGA1151, 32GB DDR4, Intel 8700K i7, 500 GB SSD, 3 x 1TB HDD, Windows 10 Pro 64
rafael.alvamar
  • Total Posts : 3
Re: No notation fixes! 2015/05/08 11:32:18 (permalink)
I'm totally agree with you. I think Staff view must be much better than now.

Let's go we can!

michael diemer
Re: No notation fixes! 2015/05/08 13:22:12 (permalink)
Brando
ronboy1952

Simplification to say most users don't read music, imo. After years of training in the conservatory of music, I am quite adept at reading and sight reading. But after years of playing in bands, I developed a better ear and improvisational skills. I compose in PRV and rarely in staff view- and when I need notation, I export midi from sonar into Notion or Progression. I've tried rewire but it is so limiting as to not be worth the trouble.
Even Jerry got by with Sonar's limitations for a lot of years before losing patience. A lot of users have found a way to get through. That said, I would guess most users have at least some basic skill in notation, chords or TAB, and would benefit from fixing long standing bugs, and bringing the staff view up to date. Most users are musicians first and foremost. I would hazard a guess that almost all users would like to at least print a reasonable lead sheet/score of their composition or interpretation. (IMO)

Good points Brando. Question for you: I am also looking to export midi at some point into Notion or Musescore to do score work there. but I 'm on 8.5, which does not have XML. Do you happen to know if exporting in midi1 will work well for a notation program?

michael diemer
32 GB ram
UR22 interface

Brando
Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2776
Re: No notation fixes! 2015/05/08 14:24:47 (permalink)
michael diemer
Brando
ronboy1952

Good points Brando. Question for you: I am also looking to export midi at some point into Notion or Musescore to do score work there. but I 'm on 8.5, which does not have XML. Do you happen to know if exporting in midi1 will work well for a notation program?

Sure- I use midi myself to import into Notion 4 on my daw or Notion 5 for my iPad. Multi parts (type1) are imported fine but you have to decide if importing midi that works in sonar's PRV is worth editing for notation purposes versus replaying a part (in Notion) to a strict click to get clean notation. Often I find this easier than editing the Midi in Notion. I only ever print basic lead sheets (two staff piano accompaniment, (sometimes)1 staff melody, lyrics (if relevant) and chords).

Brando
Cakewalk, Studio One Pro, Reaper
Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL
ASUS Prime Z370-A LGA1151, 32GB DDR4, Intel 8700K i7, 500 GB SSD, 3 x 1TB HDD, Windows 10 Pro 64
Page: << < ..2122232425.. > >> Showing page 21 of 40
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1