Helpful ReplyNo notation fixes!

Page: << < ..2122232425.. > >> Showing page 25 of 40
Author
jsg
Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1079
Re: No notation fixes! 2015/06/29 15:18:49 (permalink)
vintagevibe

Wow!  You've misrepresented or misunderstood so much that it's just tiring.  You'll argue forever and life is too short.   Rather than try, yet again, to correct you I'll start over.   Here are my predictions with great certainty:

1) The sun will rise tomorrow.  
2) Cakewalk will never invest significant resources to overhaul the staff view and make it on par with (or even close to) Cubase, Protools or DP.  It will always be substandard.  People who are waiting for this will be disappointed.

All things are possible and anyone can be wrong.  I do, however, expect the sun to rise tomorrow.  Let me know if I'm wrong.

With all due respect VintageVibe, you are wrong.  I just spent 2 months using DP every day and night.  I spent the largest percentage of that time in the staff view.  DPs staff view has a few things going for it, namely the capacity to display tied and dotted triplets.   That's it.  Sonar's notation has several things going for that in my opinion are superior, namely the width of the staff view is far more practical for large-form composition and the tab-and-lock feature is invaluable for moving quickly between various staff views.  Sonar' notation editor is also a lot easier to navigate and move from say measure 33 to measure 195, using the scroll bar.

Also, DPs notation editor can display up to 13 staves on one "page", whereas Sonar's notation editor can display up to 23 staves on one screen.   Are you aware of that?

As far as Cubase is concerned, sure, it has more symbols, but that assumes you're using it to create full-fledged scores rather than using it to compose and edit MIDI data.  Plus Cubase uses the dreaded dongle and it has what I view as the most clunky interface of all the DAWS.  I found Cubase's notation editor quite difficult to use compared to Sonar, and with no real benefit.

Jerry
http://www.jerrygerber.com

post edited by jsg - 2015/06/29 15:28:47
Doktor Avalanche
Max Output Level: -32.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4294
Re: No notation fixes! 2015/06/29 17:15:47 (permalink)

Sonar Platinum(64 bit),Win 8.1(64 bit),Saffire Pro 40(Firewire),Mix Control = 3.6,Firewire=VIA,Dell Studio XPS 8100(Intel Core i7 CPU 2.93 Ghz/16 Gb),2 x 1TB SSD (Samsung EVO 850),GeForce GTX 460,Yamaha DGX-505 keyboard,Roland A-300PRO,Roland SPD-30 V2,FD-8,Triggera Krigg,Shure SM7B,Yamaha HS5. Rap Pro,Maschine Studio+Komplete 9 Ultimate+Kontrol Z1,Addictive Keys,Waves Silver,Izotope Nectar elements,Overloud Bundle,Geist,Acronis True Image 2015.
Doktor Avalanche
Re: No notation fixes! 2015/06/29 17:18:45 (permalink)

Sonar Platinum(64 bit),Win 8.1(64 bit),Saffire Pro 40(Firewire),Mix Control = 3.6,Firewire=VIA,Dell Studio XPS 8100(Intel Core i7 CPU 2.93 Ghz/16 Gb),2 x 1TB SSD (Samsung EVO 850),GeForce GTX 460,Yamaha DGX-505 keyboard,Roland A-300PRO,Roland SPD-30 V2,FD-8,Triggera Krigg,Shure SM7B,Yamaha HS5. Rap Pro,Maschine Studio+Komplete 9 Ultimate+Kontrol Z1,Addictive Keys,Waves Silver,Izotope Nectar elements,Overloud Bundle,Geist,Acronis True Image 2015.
Doktor Avalanche
Re: No notation fixes! 2015/06/29 17:21:08 (permalink)
Back to normal programming...

Sidroe
Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1954
Re: No notation fixes! 2015/06/29 17:52:10 (permalink)
Having started this thread, I see it is finally starting to show signs of deterioration! Again, I say that I am glad to see so much interest in the topic. At the same time, it is sad to watch it dwindle away becoming a point of contention rather than a positive movement towards the repair of a much needed feature for a lot of us. I do have to come down on Craig's side of the argument, though. Not simply because of his well respected position in music media everywhere, but simply because his facts are correct. Now with that said, could we move on with some constructive means towards the not so simple ends of making sure the bakers seeing the size of this forum and the new forum topic added to it. Maybe they will no longer be able to just throw us a band-aid patch for SV but really get to work on a fix.
I was glad to see Craig's comment about Cake being shopped to educational markets. That would be a good sign to me as I feel as if there is more encouragement towards reading and writing music academically.  Here's hoping!

Sonar Platinum, Sonar X3e, Sonar X2a , Sonar X1 Expanded and 8.5.3 (32 and 64 bit), Windows 10 on a Toshiba P75-A7200 Laptop with i7 @ 2.4 quad and 8 gigs of RAM and secondary WD 1 Tb drive, Windows 10 desktop, Asus i5 @ 3.2 quad, 12 gigs RAM, 1 Tb drive, 1 500 gig drive, MOTU 24io, 2 Roland Studio Captures, Saffire 6 USB for laptop, Soundtracs Topaz Project 8 mixer, Alesis Monitor 2s, Event BAS 20/20s, Roland Micro-Monitor BA-8s, and 45 years worth of collecting FX, Mics, Amps, Guitars, and Keyboards!
Anderton
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: No notation fixes! 2015/06/29 21:00:23 (permalink)
vintagevibe

Wow!  You've misrepresented or misunderstood so much that it's just tiring.

How is it possible to misinterpret:

"(Cakewalk) have concluded that that market doesn't need notation which is why they not only won’t enhance notation but will not even fix the bugs.” I guess you meant to say "Cakewalk will likely start to fix staff view bugs."

Or "But, of course, to Cakewalk [education] is just a small niche market.” I guess you meant to say "Cakewalk is actively pursuing the education market, because they see its potential."

Or "“Staff View is dead.  No matter what Cakewalk says publicly it will never be addressed." I guess you meant to say "Staff view isn't dead - I predict Cakewalk will start addressing it now that they have this new release schedule."

So, my bad!!! Everything you meant to say turned out to be true. I have absolutely no idea why I instead keyed in on what you actually said.

vintagevibeYou'll argue forever and life is too short.

I didn't argue. An argument is an exchange of diverging or opposite views. There were no opposite views. I simply presented quotes of things you stated as fact, and showed they weren't factual.

Rather than try, yet again, to correct you I'll start over.

You have yet to "correct" anything. You have not cited any factual errors in anything I've said. What you call a "correction" is to say you meant something other than what your words said. That's not correcting me, that's clarifying your comments, and even then, only a portion of them. You still have failed to address quotes like the ones above, which I think are quite clear.

vintagevibeHere are my predictions with great certainty:

1) The sun will rise tomorrow.

That topic was never under discussion. Perhaps you consider your statement some kind of riposte.

vintagevibe2) Cakewalk will never invest significant resources to overhaul the staff view and make it on par with (or even close to) Cubase, Protools or DP.  It will always be substandard.  People who are waiting for this will be disappointed.

Given your track record for predictions, you've now given me hope that Cakewalk will invest significant resources to overhaul the staff view. 

You dissed Cakewalk and the credibility of its current staff; dismissed what the new project manager said (who kept his word); and made claims which you stated as fact yet have turned out to be fiction. Instead of being happy that Cakewalk is paying attention to users and fixing bugs (which you stated they would not do), you are so invested in maintaining your negative position that you have doubled down and said your fallacious predictions were simply "misrepresented." Yet your own words undermine that contention.

Go have fun with Cubase, it's a fine program and if SONAR didn't exist, I'd probably be using that or Studio One. Meanwhile, SONAR users can enjoy the fact that Cakewalk is listening to what they want, and acting on it. That is a step in the right direction, to say the least.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
Doktor Avalanche
Re: No notation fixes! 2015/06/29 21:05:16 (permalink)

Anderton
Go have fun with Cubase, it's a fine program and if SONAR didn't exist, I'd probably be using that or Studio One. Meanwhile, SONAR users can enjoy the fact that Cakewalk is listening to what they want, and acting on it
post edited by Doktor Avalanche - 2015/06/29 21:13:15

YouDontHasToCallMeJohnson
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 703
Re: No notation fixes! 2015/06/29 21:11:52 (permalink)
To THE CRAIG::

Stop contributing to this thread. You could have finished at least one new song for all the effort you have put into arguing with a guy who has stubborn on his side.

I implore you to only post when you are NOT responding to dumb. Let the rest of us whop these guys our big sticks.

As the Python said, "He's got to be king cuz he doesn't have stuff all over him."

Please stay out of the stuff.
Susan G
  • Total Posts : 12016
Re: No notation fixes! 2015/06/29 21:32:13 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ampfixer 2015/06/29 21:43:26
Hi-

I may be romanticizing the way things were here years ago, but it seems to me folks used to be able to voice their opinions on these forums without feeling like they had to be on one or the other side of a lengthy debate where one team always had to "win." It wasn't quite so adversarial.

Sometimes people would say things that weren't 100% factually accurate to make their point and that would be okay. There would be rebuttals, of course, but they wouldn't be browbeaten into submission or agreement or made to feel foolish by anyone if they didn't agree or be asked to defend point by point by point their side of the argument until they gave in or gave up.

Since product registration isn't required to join these forums, I hope things can lighten up a bit so the first impression isn't "You'd better agree, or else" and that there can be a more friendly and less adversarial atmosphere presented here generally.

Thanks-

-Susan

2.30 gigahertz Intel Core i7-3610QM; 16 GB RAM
Windows 10 x64; NI Komplete Audio 6.
SONAR Platinum (Lexington) x64
ampfixer
Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5508
Re: No notation fixes! 2015/06/29 21:37:56 (permalink)
Well said Susan.

Regards, John 
 I want to make it clear that I am an Eedjit. I have no direct, or indirect, knowledge of business, the music industry, forum threads or the meaning of life. I know about amps.
WIN 10 Pro X64, I7-3770k 16 gigs, ASUS Z77 pro, AMD 7950 3 gig,  Steinberg UR44, A-Pro 500, Sonar Platinum, KRK Rokit 6 
Re: No notation fixes! 2015/06/29 22:50:19 (permalink)
Susan is THE MAN.

"She, Who Must Be Obeyed!"
Susan G
Re: No notation fixes! 2015/06/29 22:54:30 (permalink)
Susan is THE MAN.

"She, Who Must Be Obeyed!"

Please, no. I'm not even sure how you meant or how to take that, but I don't much like it!

Thanks-

-Susan

Re: No notation fixes! 2015/06/29 23:02:42 (permalink)
Ahh, to be young again.

A reference to "Rumpole of the Baily."

A compliment. For SHE was clearly the reason Rumpole was a better man

All because of Hilda, the beneficent.

Susan G
Re: No notation fixes! 2015/06/29 23:06:04 (permalink)
Ahh, to be young again.

A reference to "Rumpole of the Baily."

A compliment. For SHE was clearly the reason Rumpole was a better man

All because of Hilda, the beneficent.

Ah, okay.

Thanks-

-Susan

vintagevibe
Max Output Level: -51 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2446
Re: No notation fixes! 2015/06/29 23:18:12 (permalink)
Susan G
Hi-

I may be romanticizing the way things were here years ago, but it seems to me folks used to be able to voice their opinions on these forums without feeling like they had to be on one or the other side of a lengthy debate where one team always had to "win." It wasn't quite so adversarial.

Sometimes people would say things that weren't 100% factually accurate to make their point and that would be okay. There would be rebuttals, of course, but they wouldn't be browbeaten into submission or agreement or made to feel foolish by anyone if they didn't agree or be asked to defend point by point by point their side of the argument until they gave in or gave up.

Since product registration isn't required to join these forums, I hope things can lighten up a bit so the first impression isn't "You'd better agree, or else" and that there can be a more friendly and less adversarial atmosphere presented here generally.

Thanks-

-Susan

Very clearly, intelligently and insightfully said.   Thank you for your contribution.
mudgel
  • Total Posts : 12010
Re: No notation fixes! 2015/06/29 23:41:50 (permalink)
I remember in my early days here saying something incorrect because of lack of knowledge and being jumped on by all sorts of "professional" so I'm not sure it's changed in that way.

But I don't think this post has anything to do with opposing opinions. More a dogged determination to derail the notation discussion by someone who by their own words isn't even a Sonar user any longer.
Like I said before I think it's time this thread was locked and dumped I the bin of history.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
vintagevibe
Re: No notation fixes! 2015/06/30 00:02:01 (permalink)
mudgel
I remember in my early days here saying something incorrect because of lack of knowledge and being jumped on by all sorts of "professional" so I'm not sure it's changed in that way.

But I don't think this post has anything to do with opposing opinions. More a dogged determination to derail the notation discussion by someone who by their own words isn't even a Sonar user any longer.
Like I said before I think it's time this thread was locked and dumped I the bin of history.

Please read this thread.  I am a Sonar user and have been since the mid 90's...but of course I shouldn't have voice if you disagree with my opinions.   I've also been on this forum since before it was a forum and was a news group.  I can tell you that it definitely was not like this before.   Opposing opinions used to be welcome.

post edited by vintagevibe - 2015/06/30 00:13:09
Anderton
Re: No notation fixes! 2015/06/30 00:05:51 (permalink)
Susan G

Expressing opinions is great. My opinion is that stating multiple negative and untrue speculations as facts is not great.

I don't have to "win" anything. Maybe it's my editorial/fact-checking background but I do feel compelled to correct misinformation and if someone persists in disseminating misinformation, I feel compelled to reply because silence is perceived as assent. As to Vintage Vibe specifically, I have a problem with someone who says he switched from SONAR to Cubase, yet still comes in here periodically to complain about the program. IIRC this is the same person who was experiencing a problem with his system, and refused to even try advice the community gave him about possible problems to check because he was so sure that it had to be SONAR. Eventually the community just gave up trying to help, but not until after making a considerable effort.

Regarding notation, he has contributed a plethora of negative posts in a thread about a program he claims to have switched from using "except to open legacy projects." So what is his motivation for coming in and complaining about SONAR? I don't get it.

Compare that with JSG. He was of the opinion that MOTU DP was better than SONAR so he switched. No one got on his case because that was his opinion, he is credible, and frankly, many if not all users of staff view believe it could be improved so they agreed with that opinion. I have been an advocate of improving it, but it's people like JSG posting solutions that makes things happen - not a Cubase user dismissing a transparent and forthright statement from SONAR's project manager about Cakewalk's position vis a vis notation. If Vintage Vibe had simply said "Well I'm glad to hear it's not dead and is something you're reviewing" instead of doubling down and saying that he was certain nothing would ever happen, I feel that would have contributed a lot more to the thread, and encouraged people to present solutions that would help expedite the process of improving staff view.

You can see thread after thread in these forums that go along in a positive and useful direction until one person with an agenda comes in and does the equivalent of barfing on the rug at a party. Look what happened to the thread I started commending the community for contributing useful techniques and being more precise and specific in their bug reports.

There are plenty of people who have negative opinions of SONAR, and that's to be expected. Some people think it caters too much to EDM. Some people think it doesn't cater enough. Obviously both of them can't be "right," but they have opinions and that's the way they see the program. I would hope no one would say "No, you don't see the program that way." That would be absurd; we're talking about someone's opinion.

So yes, opinions are great. Misrepresenting facts is not, and I believe people should be held accountable for what they say on forums, just as I expect to be held accountable for what I say. I stand behind what I say, I research as much as possible to verify the accuracy of what I say, and if I'm aware that I've said something incorrect, I always say that I stand corrected. If you think I'm a jerk, that's fine. But you can rest assured that I say what I believe, and I have made a considerable effort to make sure what I believe is true.

I believe the comments Vintage Vibe made were unwarranted, misleading, and possibly mean-spirited. I'm sorry that upsets me, but it does - and all the more so because I remember posts he did years ago that were anything but that.

I have to be honest and say there were two people who've come to this forum that I felt were toxic to the forum and disrespectful to the community and yes, I hoped that I could make them feel unwelcome enough to leave. And they did. But Vintage Vibe is not one of those. I simply do not want to let stand misleading statements from a Cubase user lest someone come in here, read what he says, and think "Wow, what a crappy company. This guy says right here they don't care about the education market, they'll never fix staff view bugs, staff view is dead, and they're never going to address issues with notation. Well, no one said he was wrong, so it must be true."

That's the way the internet works. Then misinformation gets picked up other places. Anyone visit Gearslutz last January and saw that if you don't subscribe to Cakewalk's subscription program, your software doesn't work until you pay more money? And that updates are $500 a year?

And just to be clear, I don't have to "win" anything by saying this. I am telling you exactly why I am so upset. If your opinion is that I'm being as ass, that's fine. If your opinion is I'm standing up for the truth, that's fine. But I am who I am. I contribute a lot to this forum, to Cakewalk, and to this industry. The same personality trait of intensity that makes me care enough about users to spend hours helping them when I could be doing a zillion other things is the same trait that makes me impatient with people who are rude to Cakewalk - the people who make this forum possible and graciously provide access - and the community, who by and large are helpful and honest.

I do not like the way the world is going. Propellerheads shut down their forum because they didn't want to have to deal with this kind of crap. I can't blame them. I realize I may be contributing to the world's negativity by not having patience for people whose primary contribution to forums is negativity (which to be clear, is not the same as negative opinions). However, I also believe not standing up to it simply encourages more negativity by allowing it to take root. Unfortunately, that has been my experience on internet forums for the past 20 years, and I've seen no evidence that situation has changed. 

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
Anderton
Re: No notation fixes! 2015/06/30 00:10:51 (permalink)
vintagevibe
Please read this thread.  I am a Sonar user and probably have been far longer than you.  But of course I shouldn't have voice if you disagree with it.  

The only reason I said you use Cubase is because you said you switched from SONAR to Cubase and that you used SONAR only to "open legacy projects." I don't make things up and say they're facts, I got that information from your responses to posts. If that information is indeed no longer accurate, then I stand corrected.

vintagevibe
Re: No notation fixes! 2015/06/30 00:51:38 (permalink)
Anderton
vintagevibe
Please read this thread.  I am a Sonar user and probably have been far longer than you.  But of course I shouldn't have voice if you disagree with it.  

The only reason I said you use Cubase is because you said you switched from SONAR to Cubase and that you used SONAR only to "open legacy projects." I don't make things up and say they're facts, I got that information from your responses to posts. If that information is indeed no longer accurate, then I stand corrected.

Nothing has changed.  I have hundreds of legacy files.  You heard what you wanted to hear.
vintagevibe
Re: No notation fixes! 2015/06/30 00:53:27 (permalink)
Anderton
As to Vintage Vibe specifically, I have a problem with someone who says he switched from SONAR to Cubase, yet still comes in here periodically to complain about the program.

Regarding notation, he has contributed a plethora of negative posts in a thread about a program he claims to have switched from using "except to open legacy projects." So what is his motivation for coming in and complaining about SONAR? I don't get it. not a Cubase user dismissing a transparent and forthright statement from SONAR's project manager

…IIRC this is the same person who was experiencing a problem with his system, and refused to even try advice the community gave him  

Craig,

In your attempt to misrepresent me you conveniently left out the part that I specifically that I did not want to troubleshoot any further.  I have literally hundreds of Sonar files that I need and use.  I am a Sonar user.  I have been a Sonar user longer that you have.  I suspect that I have spent far more on Cakewalk software than you have.  I have said that many times in this thread but you have chosen to ignore it.  Very misleading on you part to characterize me as not a Sonar user. 

It's really sad and unprecedented in my experience for a representative of a company to be so openly hostile to a customer.  Is this openly aggressive ill will part of the new Cakewalk?    

In my opinion two bug fixes in 15 years means abandonment.
In my opinion Cakewalk will never invest significant resources to overhaul the staff view and make it on par with (or even close to) Cubase, Protools or DP.  It will always be substandard.  People who are waiting for this will be disappointed.  Prove me wrong.

These are my opinions.  I have years of experience that have led me to these conclusions.  I know you don’t agree and I know you don’t like them but it’s a little scary that you would fight so hard to discredit opinions.   It’s clear that you don’t want them heard.  I suspect you could have me banned but until then I will express my opinion as a Cakewalk customer.  I don’t know what your actual roll here is but you are acting like a propaganda minister and I find that and your aggression toward me extremely unprofessional.
post edited by vintagevibe - 2015/06/30 01:00:35
Anderton
Re: No notation fixes! 2015/06/30 01:03:31 (permalink)

(Actually, I take that back. I'm not sure if I stand corrected or not. It all depends on whether Vintage Vibe was telling the truth today, or whether he was telling the truth a week ago.) 

vintagevibe
mudgel

Please read this thread. I am a Sonar user and have been since the mid 90's...but of course I shouldn't have voice if you disagree with my opinions. I've also been on this forum since before it was a forum and was a news group. I can tell you that it definitely was not like this before. Opposing opinions used to be welcome.

Vintage Vibe, your saying "I made the switch to Cubase" is NOT an opinion, it's a statement of fact. Opposing opinions remain welcome. Blatant disingenuousness does not - and unfortunately for you, we HAVE read this thread. 

Which is the truth - what you claim above, or what you said in this very thread one week ago: 

"After many years of Cakewalk sending out notation surveys and never improving it, along with stability issues,  I made the switch to Cubase.  Cubase notation is by far the most advanced in any DAW.  It does some pretty cool things that even Sibelius can't do.  I don't like the dongle either but it's a small price to pay for the notation and MIDI power I have now.  I don't need to use keyswitches any more, I can just pull articulations from a menu and put them in the score.  Very cool stuff.  Another thing is that Steinberg is working on a dongle-less solution but no one knows when it will be implemented.  I avoided switching from Cakewalk/Sonar for years hoping for usable notation and the switch took some effort but was the only solution for notation and turned out to be well worth it."

Of course, I could just be misunderstanding you, after all, "I made the switch to Cubase" in no way implies that you made the switch to Cubase - it could be your opinion that you switched to Cubase, not something that actually happened. Or maybe you meant to say "I made the switch to SONAR." Or maybe you switched to Cubase so recently you're confused as to what you're using.

Then again, there's this post from two years ago - July 1, 2013:  "I'm doing all my creative projects in C7 now.  After spending some time setting up templates, when I import the MIDI and audio i'm ready to go.  I've got all my main FX and routings already set up.  I also learned and created my main key bindings so it really has been surprisingly easy.  Also the C7 manual may be the best in the industry IMO."

Lest anyone think I'm being mean, I'm not the one who switched my stories within a one-week period. I just called you on it. If you had been honest, I wouldn't have needed to say anything.

Kamikaze
Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3013
Re: No notation fixes! 2015/06/30 01:18:15 (permalink)
As a journalist Craig, are you paid by the word count.

charlyg
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 950
Re: No notation fixes! 2015/06/30 01:39:37 (permalink)
"I shot an arrow into the air. It came to earth, I know not where?"

Yes, it does relate.....

...wicked
Max Output Level: -1.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7360
Re: No notation fixes! 2015/06/30 01:44:21 (permalink)
Meh, I don't use notation, I think a LOT of users don't. I would suspect if someone used it heavily they'd invest in a dedicated program. I remember Cake offered a deal for Notion way back, and sheesh Sibelius is the king daddy of notation progams. If one were really into writing that way I would think they'd buy it the same way people really into pitch correction would upgrade to the full version of Melodyne.

I don't think notation feature-hungry folk shouldn't get what they want, but like Cake have directly said, there's bigger fish to fry. I can think of at least ten features I'd like to see that would be way more important to me than notation. But hey, deep down I hope we ALL get what we want! :-)

===========
The Fog People
===========

Intel i7-4790 
16GB RAM
ASUS Z97 
Roland OctaCapture
Win10/64   

SONAR Platinum 64-bit    
billions VSTs, some of which work    
vintagevibe
Re: No notation fixes! 2015/06/30 01:57:18 (permalink)
Read this veeerrrrry slowly.  I switched to Cubase and do all of my creative work and new files in it.  I have hundreds of Sonar files that I still use.  I have said both of these things on many occasions.  Now you are calling me liar.  It just gets worse and worse.  Now I suspect you will go through every word I've ever written to try and find gotchas.   I always assume that when I'm arguing a point with someone and all they do is correct my spelling that I've won the argument.  Of course now you'll explain why this isn't an argument...

p.s. this forum really needs a face palm
post edited by vintagevibe - 2015/06/30 02:06:06
charlyg
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 950
Re: No notation fixes! 2015/06/30 02:06:48 (permalink)
Well, from my point of view, the palm applies to the opposite face.

Kamikaze
Re: No notation fixes! 2015/06/30 02:23:42 (permalink)
No one's asking for stacks of features Wicked, just fixes and some tweaks. We've seen some fixes, but I think expecting all bugs to be address no matter what area of the program is a reasonable expectation as a customer.

Regards Sibelious, I see the point if you are full on scoring or something, but if you want your workflow in Sonar because you write with a mix of acoustic and software instruments and then mix while you work, why would you jump out to another program.

I have acoustic instrutuments in C, Bb and G (yep that's an odd one). Say I create a loop, with beats and chords. Melodyne allows me to play something on the flute over it, chuck it back into Sonar edit and see it as score, assign to a synth, transpose it a create a harmony line to the originbal Flute line, transpose it to the correct key for me to read withr either my soprano (Bb) or my Alto (G), if I still had my Baritone (Eb), or maybe for a key for another musician to play instead. And record over the same beat and chords. Use the pro channel tools to make it sit sweet. Why would I want to go outside of sonar to deal with  some scoring when everything else is in Sonar.

Creating harmonies is more intuitive for many in Staff View than PRV for many. We've seen developments to the latter but nothing (developments that is not fixes) to staff view, and for many removing the note lengths icon from staff view is a step back not forward and easily fixed (as duckbar prooves). 

Sonar braggs about Staff View in their advertising. But even if they didn't I think they have a responsibility to their customers to address bugs with in the program.

Anderton
Re: No notation fixes! 2015/06/30 02:35:42 (permalink)
vintagevibe
Very misleading on you part to characterize me as not a Sonar user.

WTF? YOU are the one who said you switched to Cubase. How can I characterize someone who says he switched to Cubase as a SONAR user? How can repeating how you characterized yourself be misleading? The only conclusion possible from that is what you say is in itself misleading. On this, we agree.

It's really sad and unprecedented in my experience for a representative of a company to be so openly hostile to a customer.  Is this openly aggressive ill will part of the new Cakewalk?

My opinion is that those who can no longer deal with the merits of the facts resort to ad hominem arguments and rhetorical questions.

Read the disclaimer at the end of my sig. It should be obvious to anyone who has spent time in this forum that I am aggressive only when provoked, and that is very rare. I have no sympathy for someone who comes into a SONAR forum, says two years ago he started using Cubase for all his creative projects, re-characterized himself a week ago as having switched to Cubase, posts 39+ times in a thread complaining about a lack of notation fixes that was started OVER HALF A YEAR ago, disses the bakers, spreads misinformation about the company as fact, praises the competition (which in and of itself is okay - this "propaganda minister" has recommended Studio One, Ableton Live, Reason, and Sony Vegas to people when appropriate - just not in the context of dissing SONAR), and then gets indignant when his own words show him to be disingenuous.  

In my opinion two bug fixes in 15 years means abandonment.

And that's not true either. From a thread that's more interested in solving problems than causing them, here are fixes since X1: 

1. Snap function fixed
2. Order of tracks in track pane when switching screensets fixed
3. Order of tracks in track pane when opening file fixed
4. Easier to click on notes on ledger lines to bring up note properties (still not perfect, but definitely better)

Improvements over the Pre X days:

1.  Dark track pane easier to see
2.  Tabs--locked tabs are great for setting up multiple staff views.  Didn't exist before X1

And there have been five fixes specific to Staff view in the past three months. Cakewalk was purchased a year and a half ago and is under new management. The people at the company are working their asses off to increase stability, satisfy user needs, and devise a better way to distribute software. Yet you insist on "predicting' the future based on a past that no longer exists (which you also characterized incorrectly, see above), and lack the courtesy to cut a new team some slack. 

I know you don’t agree and I know you don’t like them but it’s a little scary that you would fight so hard to discredit opinions.

I have not ONCE discredited anything you said was an opinion. I am fighting hard to discredit misrepresentations you made that you presented as facts. I did not say anything against the opinion you expressed that SONAR would never have staff view on a par with other companies because that was indeed an opinion, and we'll find out eventually whether it's another of your flawed predictions or not. Personally, I have no idea. I have taken you to task only for things you stated as fact where time has proven you were wrong. I understand you have since attempted to modify your earlier positions with the excuse that you weren't sufficiently clear, but even if that's true, there are still plenty of things you stated as fact that are just plain wrong.

The only reason we're here now is because of your choices. I pointed out things you said that weren't true to show there had been progress on Staff View but I didn't name you, I didn't link to your posts, I left you personally out of it. I didn't expect anything more to come of my post, but YOU are the one who brought attention to what I said, and you're the one who put me in a position where I then had to defend myself. You could have just realized that what you had predicted was wrong, there were indeed bug fixes to staff view, and let it go. YOU were the one who jumped on it and made it personal. 

But now that you re-opened the topic and interjected yourself into it, had you not been so derogatory toward people who have NOT been here for 15 years and had NOTHING TO DO with your "abandonment," I would have been more understanding. You chose to say things that weren't true. I chose to dispute them.

I suspect you could have me banned but until then I will express my opinion as a Cakewalk customer.

...a "Cakewalk Customer" who says he switched to Cubase. Don't blame me for believing what you say. 

You didn't say "mostly use Cubase" or "use Cubase sometimes" or "alternate between the two," you said you switched to Cubase. 

I have never banned anyone and don't plan to start now. There is no need to silence you when your own words do the job. I believe in freedom of expression, and that includes me if I want to call out someone who is not being honest with the community. Nothing you said has been deleted, censored, or edited. 

I don’t know what your actual roll here is but you are acting like a propaganda minister and I find that and your aggression toward me extremely unprofessional.

More ad hominem. You are entitled to that opinion. I have not attacked you, only your misrepresentations. Quoting your own words is not attacking you. 

My role in this forum is clear if you read the disclaimer at the bottom. I don't care if you or Cakewalk has a problem with this. I don't care if Cakewalk tells me to stop participating in the forum. But when someone is clearly not being honest with the community, I do feel it is my duty to point that out. Then the community can decide whether you are contributing anything of value or not, and decide whether or not to engage with you.

I cannot waste any more time on someone who claims repeatedly to have switched to Cubase (the two posts I cited weren't the only ones), then chastises me for not characterizing you as a SONAR user. That is the last straw.

Have fun in the Cubase forum  Make sure to tell them you're a SONAR user, and that if you're not considered a SONAR user, they are mischaracterizing you.

Kamikaze
Re: No notation fixes! 2015/06/30 03:08:57 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby mettelus 2015/06/30 07:31:38
vintagevibe
Read this veeerrrrry slowly.  I switched to Cubase and do all of my creative work and new files in it.  I have hundreds of Sonar files that I still use.

Why cannot he not switch to another program to create and not still use sonar Craig?

Page: << < ..2122232425.. > >> Showing page 25 of 40
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1