Helpful ReplyNo notation fixes!

Page: << < ..3637383940 > Showing page 36 of 40
Author
Wibbles
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 404
Re: No notation fixes! 2017/02/11 06:06:06 (permalink)
michael diemer
Folks, I'm doing you a favor here...

Always be wary of people doing you an unasked for favour... but at least it saved me from having to read the rest of the post.

My boat's in dry dock having barnacles scraped off the hull.
chuckebaby
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13146
Re: No notation fixes! 2017/02/11 06:27:39 (permalink)
The Grim
sonar doesn't have ripple editing, reaper has had it for years . . . so what?

i use studio one, i find it's ara integration to be superior . . . so what?

all this is by the by

you can still do what you want, it may take different paths, i never found anything i wanted to do in reaper that i couldn't accomplish, and it maybe what is considered a 'workaround', but one can't sneer at work around's especially sonar users

here is what i originally wrote for the above post, but decided not to post, it's not meant to be inflammatory or anything, and no disrespect to your good self, just how i see it.

chuckebaby

notation features (hoping someday they add more to it) you would be in the same boat as you are here with sonar.

i would disagree, the 'boats' are completely different, for all intents and purposes cakewalks/sonars notation is dead in the water, on the other hand reapers is alive and vibrant, being actively and vigorously improved upon and added to, big difference.

as to your issue with not being able to do certain things in reaper, well in my experience that may not be down to reaper not being able to do it, but you not knowing how to achieve it in reaper. sure there maybe things, (just examples) you may say drum replacement, mix recall etc. but all these things can be done in reaper, you may need a plugin (essentially drum replacer is a plugin built into sonar, perhaps not literally, but ykwim) mix recall (i tried mix recall way back, to me it's next to useless because it is just to slow, among other things, if it were hit the button/done, then ok, but for me i'll do it another way if need be), well there are ways you can achieve the same thing in reaper or almost any other daw, sure it would be via a 'workaround', but you can't go poo pooing something for being a workaround (not that you are, just speaking generally), especially being a sonar user with the myriad of workarounds required within sonar to make things work that should work but don't, lets face there are many, and look at the fridays tip of the week thread for examples of 'workarounds' for sonar to achieve things it can't otherwise, that other daw's can.

reaper is not my main daw, neither is sonar, but from my experience reaper is one of the most powerful daw's around, if not the most powerful, it's just that stuff may not be immediately obvious to the user, as it were, or as it may be perceived, hidden away in some menu or some dusty corner etc, which in itself may rightly be considered a failing, but then again look at how many times people are told here that they should learn how to use sonar correctly, well same thing there, fair is fair. but don't make the mistake of underestimating reapers power.

i don't care about who makes what daw, am not emotionally attached to a daw, or a company, or a forum, i don't owe any daw or company anything, they owe me nothing except for giving me what i payed for, if another daw pops up tomorrow which rings my bell more than what i currently use i'm there. switching daw's for the most part is a breeze, you are up and running immediately, somethings you may need to lookup, learn as you go, but it doesn't take long. lifes to short to be stuck with something second rate

on the topic of notation, and to go with the 'boat' analogy, sonars notation/staff view is like a ship adrift on the dead sea, floating around listlessly, surrounded by pyramids and ancient civilizations, as apposed to reapers which is sailing full speed ahead across the atlantic to the brave new world 

im going to bow out of this thread now and its not because I don't have a reply, but more.. this thread was never about Reaper. I feel partially to blame for replying. Which is now getting away from the original topic (Staff view). In the past I have been unsympathetic towards SV users but in recent, I respect their way of working just like every man/women works.

My personal opinion, reaper cant do what I want it to do (again, my personal opinion) and if it could.. I would be on their forum right now.

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

kitekrazy1
Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3524
Re: No notation fixes! 2017/02/11 11:47:19 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby abacab 2017/02/11 13:41:23
 Notation editors are better for publishing.  It's much easier to sketch parts in a DAW. 

Sonar Platinum, W7 Pro 32GB Ram, Intel i7 4790, AsRock Z97 Pro 4,  NVidia 750ti, AP2496

Sonar Platinum, W7 Pro, 16GB Ram, AMD FX 6300, Gigabyte GA 970 -UD3 P, nVidia 9800GT, Guitar Port, Terratec EWX 2496
InstrEd
Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1276
Re: No notation fixes! 2017/02/11 12:04:10 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby abacab 2017/02/11 13:41:25
kitekrazy1
 Notation editors are better for publishing.  It's much easier to sketch parts in a DAW. 

Why is it so hard for people to see this. I don't want Sonar to become Finale.That is why I have Finale.
I just need it to be able to
display the staff view properly.

Instred
Chicagoland, IL 

michael diemer
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1128
Re: No notation fixes! 2017/02/11 22:46:08 (permalink)
Wibbles
michael diemer
Folks, I'm doing you a favor here...

Always be wary of people doing you an unasked for favour... but at least it saved me from having to read the rest of the post.

My boat's in dry dock having barnacles scraped off the hull.

Man overboard!

michael diemer
Intel Quad Core i7-3770 Ivy Bridge
32 GB ram
1TB Western Digital Black X2
Microsoft Windows 7 Pro 64
UR22 interface
Bandlab Cakewalk/Sonar 8.5 Studio
GPO-EWQLSO Gold-Vienna SP ED-Cinematic Strings 2

jsg
Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1079
Re: No notation fixes! 2017/02/12 02:04:17 (permalink)
Carlo Celuque
Have you tried to edit a note outside the clefs lines? It is a nightmare! You have to find a secret place somewhere near the head of a note in order to open the edit window option.

That issue was fixed a year or so ago, maybe even longer.  Not sure why you're still experiencing it.
The current, in my opinion, the most discouraging MIDI bug is that the paste-special function doesn't work over the past 5 or 6 versions.  That is why I am using 22.7, that's the last version where it's not broken. 

I cannot take advantage of the start playback during the middle of a long note unless I am willing to put up with paste-special not working right.  It's not merely a staff view bug, it happens in the event list and, I assume in the PRV as well.

Jerry
www.jerrygerber.com

jsg
Re: No notation fixes! 2017/02/12 02:05:40 (permalink)
chuckebaby
The Grim
sonar doesn't have ripple editing, reaper has had it for years . . . so what?

i use studio one, i find it's ara integration to be superior . . . so what?

all this is by the by

you can still do what you want, it may take different paths, i never found anything i wanted to do in reaper that i couldn't accomplish, and it maybe what is considered a 'workaround', but one can't sneer at work around's especially sonar users

here is what i originally wrote for the above post, but decided not to post, it's not meant to be inflammatory or anything, and no disrespect to your good self, just how i see it.

chuckebaby

notation features (hoping someday they add more to it) you would be in the same boat as you are here with sonar.

i would disagree, the 'boats' are completely different, for all intents and purposes cakewalks/sonars notation is dead in the water, on the other hand reapers is alive and vibrant, being actively and vigorously improved upon and added to, big difference.

as to your issue with not being able to do certain things in reaper, well in my experience that may not be down to reaper not being able to do it, but you not knowing how to achieve it in reaper. sure there maybe things, (just examples) you may say drum replacement, mix recall etc. but all these things can be done in reaper, you may need a plugin (essentially drum replacer is a plugin built into sonar, perhaps not literally, but ykwim) mix recall (i tried mix recall way back, to me it's next to useless because it is just to slow, among other things, if it were hit the button/done, then ok, but for me i'll do it another way if need be), well there are ways you can achieve the same thing in reaper or almost any other daw, sure it would be via a 'workaround', but you can't go poo pooing something for being a workaround (not that you are, just speaking generally), especially being a sonar user with the myriad of workarounds required within sonar to make things work that should work but don't, lets face there are many, and look at the fridays tip of the week thread for examples of 'workarounds' for sonar to achieve things it can't otherwise, that other daw's can.

reaper is not my main daw, neither is sonar, but from my experience reaper is one of the most powerful daw's around, if not the most powerful, it's just that stuff may not be immediately obvious to the user, as it were, or as it may be perceived, hidden away in some menu or some dusty corner etc, which in itself may rightly be considered a failing, but then again look at how many times people are told here that they should learn how to use sonar correctly, well same thing there, fair is fair. but don't make the mistake of underestimating reapers power.

i don't care about who makes what daw, am not emotionally attached to a daw, or a company, or a forum, i don't owe any daw or company anything, they owe me nothing except for giving me what i payed for, if another daw pops up tomorrow which rings my bell more than what i currently use i'm there. switching daw's for the most part is a breeze, you are up and running immediately, somethings you may need to lookup, learn as you go, but it doesn't take long. lifes to short to be stuck with something second rate

on the topic of notation, and to go with the 'boat' analogy, sonars notation/staff view is like a ship adrift on the dead sea, floating around listlessly, surrounded by pyramids and ancient civilizations, as apposed to reapers which is sailing full speed ahead across the atlantic to the brave new world 

im going to bow out of this thread now and its not because I don't have a reply, but more.. this thread was never about Reaper. I feel partially to blame for replying. Which is now getting away from the original topic (Staff view). In the past I have been unsympathetic towards SV users but in recent, I respect their way of working just like every man/women works.

My personal opinion, reaper cant do what I want it to do (again, my personal opinion) and if it could.. I would be on their forum right now.

What can't Reaper do that you want it to do?
chuckebaby
Re: No notation fixes! 2017/02/12 12:13:20 (permalink)
jsg
chuckebaby

Are you serious ? Did you not read my last comment (The one you just quoted) ?

I thought I was polite and sincere in my last comment. Saying "I am bowing out of this thread"
Out of respect to the OP and staff View users" its not fair to them that I (or you) drag this thread down by the changing topic to DAW preference.

Its called "High jacking someone else's thread".

Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB

Brett
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 534
Re: No notation fixes! 2017/02/12 19:55:43 (permalink)
InstrEd

Why is it so hard for people to see this. I don't want Sonar to become Finale.That is why I have Finale.

One of the reasons these threads go on forever is that we have to keep repeating that simple point. 

What Sonar really needs is another 64bit vintage tube analog modeled warming classic VCA compressor with presets from some DJ with a catchy name.

cparmerlee
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1153
Re: No notation fixes! 2017/02/12 20:52:33 (permalink)
Brett
InstrEd

One of the reasons these threads go on forever is that we have to keep repeating that simple point. 

That is an opinion that is voiced repeatedly. Repeating an opinion over and over doesn't turn it into a fact. Not everyone shares that particular opinion. My opinion is that there should be efforts to make the gap between DAW and notation much more seamless so that artists can move back and forth between the two worlds as their creative process dictates.  This is something of a Holy Grail, but we do see some meaningful points of convergence (StudioOne and Notion, Dorico and Cubase, e.g.)

DAW: SONAR Platinum Audio I/F: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 gen2
OS: Windows 10 64-bit CPU: Haswell 4790 4.0 GHz, 4 core, 8 thread  Memory: 16 GB      Video: GTX-760Ti
Storage: Sandisk SSD 500GB for active projects. ReadyNAS 20 TB for long-term storage

sonocrafters.com
jsg
Re: No notation fixes! 2017/02/13 02:29:11 (permalink)
chuckebaby
jsg
chuckebaby

I thought I was polite and sincere in my last comment. Saying "I am bowing out of this thread"
Out of respect to the OP and staff View users" its not fair to them that I (or you) drag this thread down by the changing topic to DAW preference.

Sorry, no offense meant, I didn't read your entire post.  But I just did read it in its entirety and I still don't see what Reaper cannot do that you want it to.  Replying would be very helpful to me as I am considering dumping Sonar and learning Reaper now that it has notation...

Sincerely,
Jerry

Pragi
  • Total Posts : 1173
Re: No notation fixes! 2017/02/13 04:49:50 (permalink)
OK,
@ everyone discussing in this fred who uses Reaper for notation
and is wanting Sonar to work like Reaper. .

Cakewalk obviously will not fix the staff view.

I have a creativ idea for you folks :

Use Reaper.

kind regards

chuckebaby
Re: No notation fixes! 2017/02/13 05:50:56 (permalink)
jsg
chuckebaby
jsg
chuckebaby

Sorry, no offense meant, I didn't read your entire post.  But I just did read it in its entirety and I still don't see what Reaper cannot do that you want it to.  Replying would be very helpful to me as I am considering dumping Sonar and learning Reaper now that it has notation...

Sincerely,
Jerry

No offense taken. My apology's if I came off as snippety in my last comment.

BASSIC Productions
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 42
Re: No notation fixes! 2017/02/13 05:55:43 (permalink)
It appears that this discussion is an "excuse" from Sonar supporters about why the "staff view" can't/won't be fixed, updated or made more usable.  Other DAWs seem to not have this problem but, by all means, please keep telling us that Sonar just can't/won't do what is necessary for a musical program... maybe, if you tell us enough times, we will drink the Kool-Aid and finally feel sorry for Gibson's business issues in trying to make Sonar a real music creation software.  I feel sad for you that you can't get investment capitol on a program you purchased.  I have empathy for your poor software engineers that they can't figure out how to relate simple equations with a graphic in a UI.  It is very horrible that Gibson management bonuses might be affected if some of that money might be spent to offer a quality product.  At least Mr. Anderton offers many work-arounds to get past the problems we users are describing so we can feel all warm inside that you can actually use Sonar to make music (as the official Bartender, if you don't have vodka, just use gin... they are both clear alcohol!)... if you have three times more time available than other DAW users.  Hey, if you are a dedicated artist, why are you complaining about the time necessary to edit a note or delete a hole in a file?  I really feel bad for poor Gibson's inability to fix Sonar and offer the same options that all DAWs offer.  I guess it is our fault, as customers, for demanding so many things to actually work.

BASSIC Productions
  • Total Posts : 42
Re: No notation fixes! 2017/02/13 06:01:42 (permalink)
Can you imagine a word processing program that didn't have a spell checker?  You can still use it but everyone else has a built in dictionary.  I'm sure some car mechanics have a great supply of wrenches but they don't have any screwdrivers.  It is possible to create a great novel, even if you can't read or write.  Crappy staff view in a music program negates how we musicians communicate with each other and do our work.

Brett
Re: No notation fixes! 2017/02/13 11:46:06 (permalink)
cparmerlee
Brett
InstrEd

That is an opinion that is voiced repeatedly. Repeating an opinion over and over doesn't turn it into a fact. Not everyone shares that particular opinion. My opinion is that there should be efforts to make the gap between DAW and notation much more seamless so that artists can move back and forth between the two worlds as their creative process dictates.  This is something of a Holy Grail, but we do see some meaningful points of convergence (StudioOne and Notion, Dorico and Cubase, e.g.)

Another reason these threads go on forever is argumentative people who don't realise when you're agreeing with them.
riojazz
Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1337
Re: No notation fixes! 2017/02/13 12:20:13 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby jatoth 2017/02/13 15:08:11
The reference (again) to why we don't just get Finale suggests that those who don't use Staff View and do not sympathize with those who would like it improved may not fully understand what is being asked.  There are many ways to use staff view in SONAR.  Preparing final sheet music for performers is not one of them for me.  I do have Finale, Sibelius, Encore, MuseScore, Forte 8, etc.  and I know what to do with them.  I'm also closely watching Music XML for the convergence referred to in a recent post.

All I want in SONAR is to be able to edit MIDI quickly without leaving SONAR.  I can read music, and editing in Staff View is the most intuitive way for me to edit MIDI. 

Others may have different uses and needs.  I respect that others work differently, and I may not agree or even understand, but that's fine.  Can't we just have a fully-formed tool that allows each user to choose what method works best for them?  It is beyond me why everyone on this forum is not supporting requests to improve this one feature in SONAR that puts the product at a disadvantage.

Software: Cakewalk by Bandlab; Adobe Audition; Band-in-A-Box audiophile; Izotope Ozone; Encore; Melodyne; Win 10 Pro, 64-bit.

Hardware: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 2nd; Roland Integra-7; TCE Finalizer; Presonus Central Station, Behringer X-Touch.  Home built i7 with 16 GB RAM, SSDs.
trtzbass
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 150
Re: No notation fixes! 2017/02/13 12:23:19 (permalink)
Well, I suppose the reason we keep on knocking on that door is because Cakewalk actively keeps on asking for our feedback, so here we are! It's important to (many) of us and it's long overdue IMHO

To be super fair I have to say this. NO new DAWs offer score writing. I do understand that the new generation's way of writing music doesn't involve weird dots on a bunch if lines and that's all good and nice; by the same token, people might buy Sonar also because it offers score editing (I know I did) not knowing it's badly implemented (I know I didn't). It doesn't matter how much googling you do beforehand; you look at the program as a whole then think "I can live with that, I'll find a way" but the score editor is so rudimental I couldn't possibly have imagined it was so awkward to use.
It's not like I am (we are?) asking to implement a new function. I don't think it's unfair to ask for an already present feature to be developed so that it can be usable! Personally I just need something usable so I can have a quick workflow when I sketch out pop string arrangements. I don't think that's too much to ask, no?
Yes, Reaper got it right, no I'd rather use Sonar

Otherwise just kill the score editor altogether so you'll have a couple months' worth of moaners, instead of this neverending stream of complaint.

Just my opinion, of course

Jordan Brown

- he tried to play bass

www.jordanbrown.co.uk
twitter.com/trtzbass
trgmachine.bandcamp.com
chuckebaby
Re: No notation fixes! 2017/02/13 13:47:49 (permalink)
trtzbass
Well, I suppose the reason we keep on knocking on that door is because Cakewalk actively keeps on asking for our feedback, so here we are! It's important to (many) of us and it's long overdue IMHO

To be super fair I have to say this. NO new DAWs offer score writing. I do understand that the new generation's way of writing music doesn't involve weird dots on a bunch if lines and that's all good and nice; by the same token, people might buy Sonar also because it offers score editing (I know I did) not knowing it's badly implemented (I know I didn't). It doesn't matter how much googling you do beforehand; you look at the program as a whole then think "I can live with that, I'll find a way" but the score editor is so rudimental I couldn't possibly have imagined it was so awkward to use.
It's not like I am (we are?) asking to implement a new function. I don't think it's unfair to ask for an already present feature to be developed so that it can be usable! Personally I just need something usable so I can have a quick workflow when I sketch out pop string arrangements. I don't think that's too much to ask, no?
Yes, Reaper got it right, no I'd rather use Sonar

Otherwise just kill the score editor altogether so you'll have a couple months' worth of moaners, instead of this neverending stream of complaint.

Just my opinion, of course

This is a very good comment. I can respect that. you hit on a lot of good points.
I think this generation seems to want the easiest possible way to do things  (and sometimes not always the smartest way). I do 100% of my midi work in the Piano Roll view. And this is stickily the way I work.
If Cakewalk (in 10 years from now) were to stop supporting or not keeping up on Piano Roll View updates, bugs. exc.. I would feel bothered by this.

Even as a little as a year ago, I would read the complaints of Staff view users and scratch my head.
Why, why would you hang on to an outdated feature when newer ways to work are at your hands reach ?
but I learned, that's not for me to judge how others work. It would be the same if Cakewalk let PRV lay to waste, I would be saying, "Hey.. I bought this product for the PRV". So I can respect where you and others are coming from.

With all this out and said... I have never let technology leave me behind. Not with Windows OS', Software, Even outboard gear. If some new editing feature was to arise from technology, I would learn it and try my best to master it because there is nothing worse than changes and not being prepared for those changes.

I admire your comment, I admire your attitude. you have a good sense of reality, looking at it from both sides.
As I said before, "Here's hoping Cakewalk throws you guys a bone and makes some fixes to SV.

Anderton
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: No notation fixes! 2017/02/13 13:52:49 (permalink)
trtzbass
It's not like I am (we are?) asking to implement a new function. I don't think it's unfair to ask for an already present feature to be developed so that it can be usable!

I agree, and I hope that the planned fixes are on the schedule. I also hope people realize that my understanding why they haven't been made yet doesn't preclude my wanting those fixes. 

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
cparmerlee
  • Total Posts : 1153
Re: No notation fixes! 2017/02/13 14:18:40 (permalink)
Brett
Another reason these threads go on forever is argumentative people who don't realise when you're agreeing with them.

Well, it doesn't hurt to keep an important subject in the consciousness.

Ultimately the reason these discussions continue is because the company hasn't addresses anything in this area. The company has not provided any fixes for ages-old problems, nor has it given any indication of a road map ahead.

DAW: SONAR Platinum Audio I/F: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 gen2
OS: Windows 10 64-bit CPU: Haswell 4790 4.0 GHz, 4 core, 8 thread  Memory: 16 GB      Video: GTX-760Ti
Storage: Sandisk SSD 500GB for active projects. ReadyNAS 20 TB for long-term storage

sonocrafters.com
Sidroe
Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1954
Re: No notation fixes! 2017/02/13 14:31:54 (permalink)
Those of us that have used Cakewalk products have always known that the Staff View always was the weakest part of the product. It was never designed to be a full blown notation feature from the beginning. I have been using Cakewalk products since Pro Audio days in a studio owned by a friend.  Staff View worked pretty good in those days but somewhere around Sonar 3 it got broken and has never been the same. The latest updates have moved it back in the right direction but it still is not the same. My point is this. Staff view has never been anything close to being as good as , for instance, Cubase. I used Cubase but I prefer Sonar. If I need the power and spit polish sheet music features of a full blown notation program, it doesn't bother me because I have always had to work this way. Staff still works good enough now to edit midi and that is the way it has always worked. I would have loved to see Cakewalk buy out Notion and integrate it in to Sonar like Studio One but that didn't happen. I have a nephew that is a computer code writer and after a lengthy discussion and demonstration I now understand the complexity involved in trying to incorporate new code styles with old ones. I still wait and hope like Craig that someone comes down the pike and can fix SV in Sonar. I just don't think it is likely. 

Sonar Platinum, Sonar X3e, Sonar X2a , Sonar X1 Expanded and 8.5.3 (32 and 64 bit), Windows 10 on a Toshiba P75-A7200 Laptop with i7 @ 2.4 quad and 8 gigs of RAM and secondary WD 1 Tb drive, Windows 10 desktop, Asus i5 @ 3.2 quad, 12 gigs RAM, 1 Tb drive, 1 500 gig drive, MOTU 24io, 2 Roland Studio Captures, Saffire 6 USB for laptop, Soundtracs Topaz Project 8 mixer, Alesis Monitor 2s, Event BAS 20/20s, Roland Micro-Monitor BA-8s, and 45 years worth of collecting FX, Mics, Amps, Guitars, and Keyboards!
db66murray
  • Total Posts : 24
Re: No notation fixes! 2017/02/13 15:37:21 (permalink)
I've never expected Staff View to be a full featured aspect of Sonar.

All I have ever want to do in Staff View is enter notation and print out something to hand to vocalists who will be singing over the track I've created in Sonar.

Unfortunately, with the X versions and eventually Platinum, they completely changed the look of Staff view, removed keyboard shortcuts, and hid settings. I can't even get a quarter note to land directly on a quarter note, because evidently setting "Snap" to "to" and choosing 1/4 is not where you're supposed to set that option. I have to enter my notes, then quantize it as if it were a live performance before I can get the note where I want them to be. It's a tedious issue and for no good reason that I can see. 

I'd be happy if Cakewalk would simply revert Staff View to what it was in Sonar 8.5. 

UPDATE: I was just informed by another user that the ability to snap notes to any sort of grid other than 32nd notes was broken in X2 and has yet to be fixed. On top of that, I also found out today that Cakewalk has become so popular they can't handle support calls any more...at least, "no appointments were available" when I tried to contact them. 

It's a far cry from the quality of service Cakewalk used to provide, I'm sad to say. I can remember having an issue some years ago with functionality around the time it switched from being branded as Cakewalk and became Sonar. Not only was I able to talk to an actual human being, I received a patch to fix it THAT SAME NIGHT. 
post edited by db66murray - 2017/02/13 19:11:46
skinnybones lampshade
  • Total Posts : 530
Re: No notation fixes! 2017/02/13 15:56:23 (permalink)
I have hesitated to comment on this topic lately, because I don't want to be perceived as an irritant or nag, answering every poll with the same old "Could you please make Staff View a little more pleasant to use?". 

On the other hand, if all of us SVBs (Staff View Beggers) remain silent this round, maybe the perception will be that support for an improved Staff View has, at last, waned.

I happen to be someone who is musically more at home working with notation than working in any other way. Everything seems to fall into place and make sense to me without any struggle: Writing, voicing, arranging, "hearing" dynamics, harmonic analysis, sight reading, everything.

As many others have said, I'm not hoping for perfection, just something pleasant and smooth to use, that doesn't slow down the creative process with odd technical glitches too often and that makes it simple to quickly enter commonly used signs, symbols and notes. 

It doesn't have to look beautiful, just clear and logical.

So, tentatively raising my hand once more to say: I'm still hoping and will be delighted if improvements are forthcoming.

LJ

post edited by skinnybones lampshade - 2017/02/13 17:33:16
Anderton
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: No notation fixes! 2017/02/13 18:20:41 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby synkrotron 2017/02/13 19:18:41
I need to re-emphasize that SV is not a forgotten or dead topic at Cakewalk. There are frequent discussions as to how best address this issue, with the main problems being that any potential solutions (including doing only a makeover of the existing SV) are a) mutually exclusive, b) have unique drawbacks that are difficult to circumvent, and c) Cakewalk cannot afford to make an expensive mistake, so any options have to be studied exhaustively. It's sometimes better to do nothing than do something wrong.

To give you an idea of how undead this topic is, today I was updated on a potential solution that I stumbled upon last summer and passed along to CW for consideration. That doesn't mean a solution is closer or further away. But it seems many people believe Cakewalk doesn't care and isn't actively pursuing a solution. That speculation has no basis in reality.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
trtzbass
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 150
Re: No notation fixes! 2017/02/13 19:10:29 (permalink)
chuckebaby

This is a very good comment. I can respect that. you hit on a lot of good points...
I admire your comment, I admire your attitude. you have a good sense of reality, looking at it from both sides.

Thanks for the kind words man. Appreciated. We are all one family and want Sonar to thrive, really!

chuckebaby
Even as a little as a year ago, I would read the complaints of Staff view users and scratch my head.
Why, why would you hang on to an outdated feature when newer ways to work are at your hands reach ?

I can tell you my story. It's college that "ruined" me.
Before that, whenever I'd write string and brass arrangement, I'd treat all the parts as single voices, then slap everything together and hope for the best!
I then decided to invest my time and know more about music from an academic point of view.
Went to college and enrolled in a theory class. The teacher was this kinda bitter lady, very English, stiff upper lip and all. I have to kiss the ground she walks tho. She got me into doing Bach chorale exercises (which are like the crosswords of music, real fun if you get the basic rules).
All of a sudden something clicked in my brain and I HAD to use pen and paper.
Seeing music arranged vertically on a piece of paper helps me immensely with creating meaningful harmonic motion. Can't switch back to piano roll now. That also had a massive impact on how I arrange compound guitar parts, but that's another story for another time :)
Problem is - if you have to do stuff on paper or rewire a notation software to Sonar, that breaks the creative flow and can be clunky. Also - it takes a fair amount of time which is not ideal when you have a client that is breathing on my neck!

chuckebaby
As I said before, "Here's hoping Cakewalk throws you guys a bone and makes some fixes to SV

Thanks man, I hope so too. Enjoy making music :)

Jordan Brown

- he tried to play bass

www.jordanbrown.co.uk
twitter.com/trtzbass
trgmachine.bandcamp.com
db66murray
  • Total Posts : 24
Re: No notation fixes! 2017/02/13 19:20:27 (permalink)
Anderton
I need to re-emphasize that SV is not a forgotten or dead topic at Cakewalk. There are frequent discussions as to how best address this issue, with the main problems being that any potential solutions (including doing only a makeover of the existing SV) are a) mutually exclusive, b) have unique drawbacks that are difficult to circumvent, and c) Cakewalk cannot afford to make an expensive mistake, so any options have to be studied exhaustively. It's sometimes better to do nothing than do something wrong.

To give you an idea of how undead this topic is, today I was updated on a potential solution that I stumbled upon last summer and passed along to CW for consideration. That doesn't mean a solution is closer or further away. But it seems many people believe Cakewalk doesn't care and isn't actively pursuing a solution. That speculation has no basis in reality.

I realize I'm coming late to the discussion, but why did Cakewalk make a deliberate decision to break Staff View in the first place?

It's never been elegant, but at least what was there used to work. I'm not even talking about reassigning long-established shortcuts to do something else. That's annoying enough, but I'm just talking about just clicking on the screen and having notes appear where I place them.

I have Finale, but I still find Staff View in Sonar 8.5 to be the fastest way to get notes on the screen short of playing them and recording the MIDI data live. Staff View in Platinum, by comparison, is pretty much useless. 
skinnybones lampshade
  • Total Posts : 530
Re: No notation fixes! 2017/02/13 19:26:04 (permalink)
Anderton

Thank you for telling us that, Craig. That's very reassuring and does seem to offer real hope! 
Brett
Re: No notation fixes! 2017/02/14 03:53:49 (permalink)
skinnybones lampshade
Anderton

Thank you for telling us that, Craig. That's very reassuring and does seem to offer real hope! 

+1 
jatoth
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 363
Re: No notation fixes! 2017/02/14 08:32:20 (permalink)

Anderton

... That doesn't mean a solution is closer or further away. But it seems many people believe Cakewalk doesn't care and isn't actively pursuing a solution. That speculation has no basis in reality.

Reality is, we've (I've) been waiting for a solution for about 6-7 YEARS now. (that's how long I have been aware of the issues, I understand some go back further) Not what I consider "actively pursuing a solution". As a programmer, if I am unable to find a solution after that many years, I would have to admit that the issues are just not fixable. That is why there is so much "speculation". There are many current and ex-programmers on this forum using Sonar, some of us understand coding and debugging.
Craig, I'm not trying to pick another fight over this, but you and Cake have been telling us that for way too many years now. I have followed this thread since Sid initiated it, and have heard ALL of the reasons why it takes so long, so PLEASE don't repeat them again. We would just like to see some results, not another year of promises of maybe someday.

John

X3e Producer, Sonar Platinum, Sweetwater CreationStation i5 3.1gHz, 12 GB RAM, 500GB SSD OS drive, 1TB SSD audio drive, 1TB archive/misc drive, dual 22" monitors, Windows 7x64, SaffirePro40 (firewire), MOTU MIDI Express XT, Behringer BCF2000, dbx 586, Samson Servo 120a, Yamaha HS80M, Auratone 5c Cubes, Sennheiser HD650, Sony MDR 7509HD, Sony MDR 7506, Kurzweil K2500XS, Roland XP-30, Proteus 2000.
Page: << < ..3637383940 > Showing page 36 of 40
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1