OT: Should I quit my job to focus on music?

Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 9
Author
Xfusion
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 84
2007/07/24 21:06:41 (permalink)

OT: Should I quit my job to focus on music?

Before you read, let me warn you it's long, so unless you have time to waste, then don't bother!

I've been debating back and forth about a big decision I need to make and I could really use some good advice right now- should I quit my job to focus completely on my music?

Here's my situtation- since I was 14 years old, it's been my dream (like millions of other people) to become a singer/muscian. I write and produce all of my music by myself as well as sing (again, I know millions of others do as well and that I'm nothing special). As I'm sure most people on here can understand, all I think about ALL DAY LONG when I'm at work (a boring office job) is music. I'm not joking when I say that I think about music at least once every five minutes- that's how much it means to me. I've even written quite a few good lyrics at work as well!

However, I've really been thinking the past several months about how I will never be happy making my living doing a "regular" job for the rest of my life. I just can't do it. Call me stupid and/or a dreamer, but I do still have that dream of getting a record deal. I don't need to be a huge star, but I would like to get signed to at least some label and be able to have at least a decent amount of people know who I am and know music, as well as make a living from it. I don't need millions of dollars, I would be happy just to make enough money to live. I don't believe in giving up on dreams- I recently fulfilled a non-music dream that I'd had for 5 years that most would think was almost impossible to achieve, but I finally saw that dream come true and that made me remember that dreams CAN come true if you don't give up.

This is also why reality is setting in very clearly right now- next month I will be 25 years old and I'm starting to realize it's kind of "do or die" time for me- it been said over and over again that after the age of 25, it gets even harder than it already is to get a record deal, because age seems to be everything in the music industry. Lately, work has been killing my creativity and draining all of my energy and focus- I had been recording and working on my music at nights and on the weekend, but I've realized I just can't do it anymore. When I come home, my brain is fried and all I want to do is relax and rest and I keep putting my music off even though I really do want to work on it. And whenever I try to force myself to work on music, I get poor results because my mental energy is just gone.

So my question is, should I quit my job to focus completely on making the best album I can, that I've always dreamed of making and can rest knowing I put my absolute best into it while I'm still young and to go after a dream I've had since I was a kid (with the possibility of realizing my dream) or should I stay at a job that I get no satisfaction from that just pays OK and only work on my music here and there, which would mean most likely I would probably never finish my album or be able to put my absolute best in it? My financial situation is this: my credit card will be paid off by the end of August. After that, I will only have my monthly car payment of $300 to pay for. I still live at home (yes, go ahead and laugh!), so I don't have to pay for anything else other than my car payment, my insurance every 6 months, and little things like gas. My plan was to save up enough money to pay for 6 months of car payments and insurance and gas so that I can spend those 6 months not working, because I know I could complete my album by then. My only hesitation is that it took forever (9 months) to find my current job and that I may have a hard time finding another job after I finish my album and that I'll have to charge my car payments to my credit card until I find a job. I know it sounds like a silly question, but where I live, it's VERY hard to find a job, especially when you only have a high school diploma, but at the same time, it's not like my job pays a fortune and I rather try and fail at something I've always wanted to do than to not try at all and always wonder what if.

Could you please tell me what you would do if you were in my shoes? Do you thinik it's worth the risk? I'm sorry this was so long, but I'm just really confused and I would love to hear what some of you would do.

Thanks again for any advice!

PS- To make this SONAR 6 related, let me add that I LOVE SONAR and that I record all of my music using it!

242 Replies Related Threads

WhyBe
    Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1009
    RE: OT: Should I quit my job to focus on music? 2007/07/24 21:23:34 (permalink)
    Work and do music. Life's a ****. You might suck so bad that no one will buy your material. Only quit working if you are making a subsistent income from music or have someone willing to support a 25 year old financially.

You think of music every 5 minutes? Most guys think of other things at that same frequency. Maybe your priorities are screwed up?
    DW_Mike
    Max Output Level: -6 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6907
    RE: OT: Should I quit my job to focus on music? 2007/07/24 21:23:59 (permalink)
    Is there a place to get a part time job? And not being negitive but lets just say that things dont pan out the way you're hoping they will, then what, will you be able to find another job to support yourself with? Most musicians that make a living at their craft also work other jobs in hopes that their music will take over more and more. And you cant just put out one good CD, you have to put out one after another and hope that people still buy them. And finding a job at the age of 35 or 40 is kind of hard with no work expierence.

Just a few things to consider.
    Mike

Sonar X3 ~ Scarlett 18i6 ~ Home Build DAW  
    GA-Z77X-UD5H
    Intel i7 3770k 4.2GHz
    32GB RAM Crucial Ballistix Elite (4x8) 
    2x Samsung 250GB SSD 
    1TB WD Black HDD @ 7200RPM 6Gb/s 64MB 
    Corsair H80i Liquid cooler 
    Noctua Silent Fans ~ 3x120mm ~ 1x140mm 
    Seasonic Platinum 760w PSU 
    Windows 7 Pro 64Bit.
    gary_huff
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 33
    RE: OT: Should I quit my job to focus on music? 2007/07/24 21:26:19 (permalink)
    I'm not a purist... but music is part of my being not what I do.
    I've made millions $$$ performing for sold out arenas in my hayday... actually I just sold out two 20K arenas last year!
    now i keep a good day job and continue to write and perform...
    For me the key thing to remember is that life is about balance, ying to the yang... if you don't have it you tip and fall...
    A wise person once told me many years ago... "As long and you enjoy the road getting to where you want to be... it doesn't matter if you get there"
    My advice to you is don't use music as an excuse not to "keep it real"... you can work and still follow your music it dream.
    Peace, :)
    Gary

Gary C. Huff
    www.garyhuff.com
    Jose7822
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10031
    RE: OT: Should I quit my job to focus on music? 2007/07/24 21:38:39 (permalink)
    Definitely keep your day job until you can support yourself with music. It's not easy to make a living off of it as you might already know. If I were you and you really wanna try making it in the music scene, and you don't live in a city were your style of music booms then I would save some money and move to that city (usually anything up north depends on the style you want to focus on). Once there find a part time job that'll give you enough to sustain yourself and meet as many musicians, that are doing the same style as you, as possible. Start networking even while you're at home, right now, on the internet, and go to websites like Craig's List or any local musician clasifies you can find. Have demos ready with clips of your music and open a myspace website and post some there too. I can keep going on what other things you can do but I'm sure you get the idea. Just start networking until you find solid connections before moving out though. It's very important to be right where things are happening though (wherever that may be). HTH.
    droddey
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5147
    RE: OT: Should I quit my job to focus on music? 2007/07/24 21:46:09 (permalink)
    Something to consider also is, when music becomes you job and you HAVE to do it every day, will you still want to do it every day? Maybe you will, but sometimes you want something badly because you can't have it, but once you have it (and worse, you can't not have it anymore) it can change your perspective. Suddenly the grass might seem greener back where you were.

But, having said that, if you going to try it, now is the time. You are young enough that there's time to recover, whereas it gets harder and harder to take that risk as you move forward. I took it in terms of starting a new company, spending all my savings to finance it, and have lived on a subsistence salary for the last 5 years with no insurance, when I could have been making six figures a year with no risk. I'm 40'ish, and it's a lot harder to do at 40'ish than at 25. But, in my case I had no family of my own so the risk was purely that I'd end up living in a grocery cart, not that I'd destroy the lives of a wife and children. I think that the payoff will be worth it, and it's just finally begun that upward spiral (a product based company is a lot harder row to hoe than a services based company), but it's a huge risk. I could still end up in my mid-40's with out a penny to my name.

The risk for you is that you'll have to give up some number of years to it. If it doesn't happen, are you prepared to deal with the consequences. I'm planning on a life of cheap wine and sniffing glue in a public housing project if it goes wrong, so I'm covered if my business falls apart. But just make sure you are willing to deal with the failure if you fail. Later in life, you may never forgive yourself if you don't take the risk. But, later in life you may never forgive yourself that you spent 5 years on a failed venture instead of building up a career.

Boy, was that an up-beat post or what?
    post edited by droddey - 2007/07/24 21:53:44

Dean Roddey
    Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems
    www.charmedquark.com
    sms
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 317
    RE: OT: Should I quit my job to focus on music? 2007/07/24 21:51:29 (permalink)
    It is, of course, your decision (which is a roundabout way of saying, "don't blame me if it doesn't work out!"). But I do have a couple points you might want to ruminate on...

1. It's been my experience that there are two types of regrets in life - for the things you did, and for the things you didn't do. And they have very little in common. Everybody does stupid things in life, but we can chalk most of them up to experience - rarely do they become things that we regret for years and years. It's the regret for the things we didn't do that is truly awful. That's the kind of regret that haunts you. The girl you were fascinated by but didn't have the nerve to ask out... the preposterous year spent hiking around the globe with a friend that you decided to sit out on... that kind of thing. Few things worse than lying in bed at night saying "If only".

2. As far as dedicating your life to something that may well leave you in the gutter, what's the worst that can happen? You're probably not going to be beaten, maimed, scarred, jailed or killed if you go for it. You may well end up utterly broke - but is that so bad? Could you crash with your parents or some good friends for a couple months if worst comes to worst? Do you have any kids to support? Can you make your money last? Figure out what the worst case scenario is, how you could deal with it, and if it would really be so bad, and go from there.

3. That said, is it really imperative that you drop everything to go into music? A lot of freelancers (writers, journalists, etc.) will keep a part-time job that lets them make ends meet, if barely, while they pursue their dream. That takes the desperation factor out of it. If you can figure out how to organize things so that you can do something like that, you could theoretically spend the rest of your life pursuing music! Is having 148 non-job hours a week really that much worse than having 168?

Best of luck!

Come and visit the Sonar Wiki! And contribute your own experience and knowledge while you're there!
    yorolpal
    • Total Posts : 13829
    RE: OT: Should I quit my job to focus on music? 2007/07/24 21:53:00 (permalink)
    Wail, I hope ya didn't have that there haircut that yor sportin in yor dang avatar when you was sellin out. . .er. . .them arenas, there Gary, ol pal. Or that jacket neither. Unless that's like yor trademark or somethin. But listen, could ya spare a few tiny, puny thousand or so a them millions ya made for one hell of a dang project me and Esquizzle ( I know you've heard a him) is gettin up? It's a no brainer. That there's why I'm involved. Whad'ya say Gary? And , hey, are you any kin ta Dan? He's a real good guitar player.

https://soundcloud.com/doghouse-riley/tracks 
    https://doghouseriley1.bandcamp.com 
    Where you come from is gone...where you thought you were goin to weren't never there...and where you are ain't no good unless you can get away from it.

SPLAT 64 bit running on a Studio Cat Pro System Win 10 64bit 2.8ghz Core i7 with 24 gigs ram. MOTU Audio Express.
    marcos69
    Max Output Level: -26 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4950
    RE: OT: Should I quit my job to focus on music? 2007/07/24 22:05:59 (permalink)
    Post some of your music. We'll let you know if you should keep the day job or not.

Mark Wessels

At CD Baby

At Soundclick
    CJaysMusic
    • Total Posts : 30423
    RE: OT: Should I quit my job to focus on music? 2007/07/24 22:07:55 (permalink)
    I had to get 2 jobs to pay for all my music toys.
    Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    JSkeen
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 612
    RE: OT: Should I quit my job to focus on music? 2007/07/24 22:09:58 (permalink)
    Quit, you don't have nothing to loose. If you believe in your self and what you are doing by all mean try to make it happen. I have only played music since getting out of high school, I do session work, live gigs and recording whork, what ever to make some money and I am happy for it. I'm not rich but I can get the things I need. I was on the road for quite a spell and although the money was pretty good I hated playing behind a person I hated and who really didn't have anything to say as a artist. Anyway if you are willing to make sacrifices and go through some hell go for it. You can always get another "job" if you need money. droddey made a great point in saying "Something to consider also is, when music becomes you job and you HAVE to do it every day, will you still want to do it every day?" After some set backs on personal and emotional levels I almost gave up playing professionally, I took a few months off and didn't touch a instrument or my music computer and after clearing the baggage out of my head I found I have found my passion again. It comes down to what you consider "making it", if being a "star" is how you define it you might be let down, but you can make a living playing music.
    Infinite5ths
    Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3631
    RE: OT: Should I quit my job to focus on music? 2007/07/24 22:10:40 (permalink)
    I didn't read your entire post. But one thing I have found to be true:

Some folks are natural risk-takers and others are not. If you are the type who LIKES (and is relatively happy) taking risks, then you will be better motivated & more likely to succeed if you quit your job and focus. If not, then quitting your job could be the worst thing you ever did. Only you know which you are. Look at your moments & times of greatest success in the past and ask yourself it they were motivated by calculated risk(s). Either way, you have your answer.

Do what works for you. That may be jumping off a cliff and learning to fly on the way down. That may be working your tail off at a day job AND music.
    post edited by Infinite5ths - 2007/07/24 22:17:02

Mike
    MichaelDanchi.com
    IPM Productions
    Sonar 8PE, Project 5 v2.5, Rapture, Dimension Pro, Z3TA+, RME FF400 + Presonus DigiMax FS
    gary_huff
    • Total Posts : 33
    RE: OT: Should I quit my job to focus on music? 2007/07/24 22:12:26 (permalink)
    Throw in some horns and we'll talk :)

Gary C. Huff
    www.garyhuff.com
    mrBun
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 173
    RE: OT: Should I quit my job to focus on music? 2007/07/24 22:20:23 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Xfusion

I've been debating back and forth about a big decision I need to make and I could really use some good advice right now- should I quit my job to focus completely on my music?

A faint heart never won a fair maiden.

I am the last man standing from all my high school buddies.... everyone else faded into suburbia the 2.5 kiddies, the mortgage and the job to support that lifestyle.

I am in my 50s I still write, record and play for a living, and some my friends who walked away from music back in the day are now wishing they had followed that dream with me.
    But planet earth has moved on... and it is an old boys network in my neck of the woods.... so a couple of them have their weekend jazz gigs... some of them phone me to touch base when the whiskey drives them to it… but as far as jumping back on the bus…. That sucker left town years ago.

I have had long periods of mind numbing poverty in my life... I have had to walk away from innumerable lovers when their need to nest has come into conflict with my dream…. Abandon friendships when the work took me to strange cities…. If this is really just a hobby then you have my utter respect… to do it for real is gonna be tough at times…. It needs to be fun… this can’t be stressed enough... because it is that sense of fun that will keep you sane when the brown stuff hits the rotating blades.
    I am established and respected within the music industry these days.... never aimed to be a pop star... have had recording and publishing deals along the way, realised early on that most Pop Stars have a short shelf life, but that sidemen kept on gigging. These days I run a couple of studios... one here in the centre of the universe (Sydney) and another in Florida when they drag me kicking and screaming from the emerald city of OZ…. My music is played around the world (39 Countries and counting)… but you will walk past it and never know where it originated from (or care) because it is embedded in games.
    I drive to my studio most days with a smile on my face and a lot of gratitude for where I am sitting today… I have a tight circle of friends and lovers and my life is as close to perfect as any man would wish for.

But in order to be in your dream you need to walk away from ALL your comfort zones, and support systems… this includes using your family as an economic base of operations…. Go live in your car if necessary… just make sure you park it where the opportunities are.
    Only the relentless hunger to succeed will get you a piece of what you claim to want.

Harlan Howard once told a happy young songwriter to go and get a good divorce and a few years of misery under his belt….

Hunger creates the desire to eat… sounds simple… but the trick is never compromising on your dream
    rocket
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 88
    RE: OT: Should I quit my job to focus on music? 2007/07/24 22:20:58 (permalink)
    Wow. One of the truely honest and heart-felt cries for help I've heard in a long time. I've seen it with my best friend and maybe with myself...but let's focus on you...man to be 25 again. It sounds like you have a family that loves you and supports you...that is such an awesome gift. When I was twenty-five I was facing the same questions you're facing now, only I didn't have a decent job. At that point I had given up on the b-circuit bands I played in for five years and decided that going back to college was the best solution to solving the "I want to be a musician (rock star)" dream I had. Well, I got my degree. Got married twice. Had some kids. Had numerous jobs that payed really well, all the while telling myself that this was going to fulfill (perpetuate) the dream. Guess what? LIFE got in the way! I have so many responsibilities that music has become less than secondary! But I digress...this is suppose to be focused on you...

It's never to late to go back to school and get a degree in a field in which you might be interested. So I say, play music NOW!. You're young! Develop your craft. Keep playing. Keep writing. Find a way to make a living as a musician! Keep playing! Everyday! Play in band. Write music and try to sell your songs. Give music lessons. Anything to make money and keep playing...as long as your loving family will continue to support you. Thank them and take advantage of their generosity...make them proud. Record your original ideas! Shop them to record companies. Submit them to websites like garageband.com, myspace, or whatever...get it out there for people to hear. Find clubs that cater to original music. I have a hugh stack of Gig Magazines that I'll send to you for free...they were free to me and chocked-full of ways to make money as a musician.

In the end, you may earn your way in life as a muscian, or maybe not. But, how will you answer the question: Did I give it everything I had?
    post edited by rocket - 2007/07/24 22:34:22
    Randy P
    Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3070
    RE: OT: Should I quit my job to focus on music? 2007/07/24 23:07:37 (permalink)
    There is nothing sadder in this life than a middle aged man with nothing but faded dreams never chased. I saw this in my father's eyes, as he watched me chase mine. GO FOR IT. I have been very fortunate in this life. Not because I became world famous or made alot of money. I am fortunate because I will never look back and say I wish I had............... I took my shots, risks whatever you want to call them. I did it when I was younger than you, and kept doing it when I was older than you. No regrets. Fame is a crap shoot. If its the love of the music, PLAY. Play for free, for money, just play. An album cost alot of money. Dont spend it til you are confident people will buy it. Thats what record companies are for. Get out and play. If you are good, the right people will find you. If you are good, you will make enough to live. If you are not, you will have the satisfaction of knowing you gave it your best shot. I can tell you this. While I may never have become a rich rock star, the memories of trying are something not alot of people have. Or would ever believe. Others here know what I'm talking about. You will hopefully learn for yourself

Randy
    droddey
    RE: OT: Should I quit my job to focus on music? 2007/07/24 23:07:46 (permalink)
    Some folks are natural risk-takers and others are not. If you are the type who LIKES (and is relatively happy) taking risks, then you will be better motivated & more likely to succeed if you quit your job and focus. If not, then quitting your job could be the worst thing you ever did.

I dunno. I'm not a natural risk taker at all, but (as per my Soap Opera above) I did it. I think what's really required is an ability to pretend that disaster isn't around the corner and just keep chugging along, instead of letting it paralyze you with fear and loathing. So you just have to develop a healthy sense of self-denial and just assume it's all going to work out OK in the end if you just work your butt off. If Fate does decide to make a house call, there's no way to know until it happens. I've read a LOT of books about people in my business (software slash technology) who went for it on their own and so many times they were on the edge of complete disaster but made it through to great success (and in this business great success can mean hundreds of millions of dollars, though I'm not counting on hitting it quite that big.)

Anyway, I don't think it's so much that you have to be a natural risk taker, you just have to be able to ignore the danger until or unless it actually strikes , and just keep the blinders on and work like a mule every day at it. It often means given up friends and fun and vacations and so on. I've not taken a day off in more than five years. But, in a way, it doesn't feel nearly as burdensome as doing a mercenary 9 to 5, because I'm working like a mule for me and my future and my vision. But that means you really, really have to love it, and not in an 'I want it' sort of way, but in a 'happy to get up out of bed every day doing it all day long' sort of way.
    post edited by droddey - 2007/07/24 23:14:22

Dean Roddey
    www.charmedquark.com
    Infinite5ths
    Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3631
    RE: OT: Should I quit my job to focus on music? 2007/07/25 00:19:58 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: droddey
    I dunno. I'm not a natural risk taker at all, but (as per my Soap Opera above) I did it. I think what's really required is an ability to pretend that disaster isn't around the corner and just keep chugging along, instead of letting it paralyze you with fear and loathing. So you just have to develop a healthy sense of self-denial and just assume it's all going to work out OK in the end if you just work your butt off......

Anyway, I don't think it's so much that you have to be a natural risk taker, you just have to be able to ignore the danger until or unless it actually strikes , and just keep the blinders on and work like a mule every day at it. It often means given up friends and fun and vacations and so on.

But that means you really, really have to love it, and not in an 'I want it' sort of way, but in a 'happy to get up out of bed every day doing it all day long' sort of way.

You know, that's what I'm really saying. Some folks can't do those things or give up those things or pretend like that without losing it completely. Those who can, I call "natural risk takers". They are just made to be able to handle the stress, tension, isolation, etc. where others would crack. I think it takes a touch (or more) of good insanity.

To paraphrase the movie Hitch: 'You are absolutely TOTALLY out of your mind............that's good.'
    post edited by Infinite5ths - 2007/07/25 00:26:46

Mike
    MichaelDanchi.com
    IPM Productions
    Sonar 8PE, Project 5 v2.5, Rapture, Dimension Pro, Z3TA+, RME FF400 + Presonus DigiMax FS
    Joe Bravo
    Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1870
    RE: OT: Should I quit my job to focus on music? 2007/07/25 00:35:16 (permalink)
    That's like saying, "Hey I just bought a lottery ticket. Can I quit working now?" If you're really great the music moguls will come and find you. Stay where you're at until they do. Word of mouth is everything in the business world.

Oh, and have you ever been on the road with a band for any length of time, at least a month or more? I've met very few musicians who will admit to liking the road aspect. Yeah, concerts are great but they only last for a couple of hours of the day. It's like being married. I don't care how great the sex is, you still have 23 hours 45 minutes left of every day to get through.
    droddey
    RE: OT: Should I quit my job to focus on music? 2007/07/25 00:37:01 (permalink)
    You know, that's what I'm really saying. Some folks can't do those things or give up those things or pretend like that without losing it completely. Those who can, I call "natural risk takers".

Yeh. I guess I was just making a distinction between the two difference phases. There are people who have a problem making the decision, and there are people who have problems dealing with the results of the decision. You could be a natural risk taker, i.e. it's easy for you to make the decision, but not be very good a dealing with the realities of it. Or, you could be someone who has a huge amount of paranoia making the decision, but can cope with their decision once made and see it to the end. And every combination thereof of course. So I guess I'm considering 'risk takers' and 'risk survivers' as separate categories.

In a way, I guess I had no problem making the decision, and not a lot of problem dealing with the consequences. I seemed to be able to pare my life down to the bare essentials pretty easily, strangely enough given my love of toys and no real history of risk taking. But, for me, the push was the standard one, I got fired :-) It happened in the big net bubble burst. Things had been going so well and everyone was making so much money that I didn't really have to do much work or anything. I put out a nice memo once in a while and that was good enough. So when the caca hit the fan, I couldn't really present much evidence of my usefulness. And with companies throwing people overboard by the bucketful, it wasn't going to be much of a sellers market for software engineers.

So I did the time honored thing and went out on my own. Luckily I'd already been working on my idea on the company's dime (another time honored tradition in Silicon Valley), so I wasn't starting from scratch. Still, having to use up all of your savings and live on starvation wages for years is something that a lot of people couldn't stomach, even if it didn't involve their loved ones. It requires a certain amount of stoicism I guess. Luckily, having come after the big bubble, I had a nice set of toys stored up to help me through the lean years a bit. But anything that breaks doesn't get replaced unless it's business related.

I think that my father also very much wanted to doit, but just couldn't because of his family responsibilities. The level of paranoia and guilt would be enormous, I'm sure. But, being blessed by a complete lack of appeal to the fairer sex, I wasn't in that situation. I'm counting on getting rich to make up for that :-) Of course I'm completely convinced that the day I finally sign those papers to sell teh company to Microsoft that I'll be hit by a bus, if not a meteor, because Fate is a cruel ****.
    post edited by droddey - 2007/07/25 00:44:40

Dean Roddey
    www.charmedquark.com
    jamesg1213
    • Total Posts : 21760
    RE: OT: Should I quit my job to focus on music? 2007/07/25 08:15:25 (permalink)
    Hi Xfusion,

I'll just say that, a very stupid man once said something very wise to me;

'You have to do things, otherwise one day you'll be dead, and then you won't have done them'

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    opaque slogan
    Max Output Level: -57.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1787
    RE: OT: Should I quit my job to focus on music? 2007/07/25 09:26:29 (permalink)
    Yes! Oh wait, you're really talented right?

Mario kart SC, Nintendo Gameboy advance SP, Screen magnifier.

www.myspace.com/opaqueslogan (pre-sonar, raw and nasty)
    fep
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1186
    RE: OT: Should I quit my job to focus on music? 2007/07/25 09:32:17 (permalink)
    You should post some of your work, I think people could give you better advice. If you have some real quality work already I think you'll get people telling you to go for it.

Something that I've noticed is that super talented musicians were really really, really good before they were 25 (the likes of Chick Corea, Al Dimeola, Prince, Larry Carlton, Lee Ritenour, Michael Jackson, Brian Culbertson, Johnny B. Goode , Mozart, etc etc etc). Those are the ones that have so much talent/genius that they are highly likely to make it in the music business. If you aren't at 25 producing some really quality work, then it's really unlikely you're in that select group.

I had a guitar teacher that pointed out to me that there are fewer people making a decent living playing jazz guitar than there are players in the NBA. I always thought that put things in perspective.

There are a lot of less and much less talented folks making a living playing music. But, that's like hitting the lottery (especially if you aren't already making a living in music at your age).

What would I do if I were you...

I'd go to the best college I could get into and I'd get both a music degree and a teaching credential (you'll be around music, you'll have an honorable profession, and you'll have summers off to pursue your dream). But I'm not much of a risk taker.
    TagPass
    • Total Posts : 49
    RE: OT: Should I quit my job to focus on music? 2007/07/25 09:53:11 (permalink)
    In my mid-20's I was in the same boat -- working a kind of dull job (2 of them, actually), making semi-decent money, with the only time for music in the "off-hours". Was newly married too, so music was kind of a third priority ;)

I remember a conversation that I had with some guys who'd been at the same job for several years. They knew about my passion for music, and when I'd **** about the things going on at work, they'd say 'don't sweat it, man, you'll be doing your music thing in a few years."

Patience and dedication paid off. Within 5 years I landed some part-time scoring gigs, which led to a full-time job at a production house, working on music full-time. During the 5 years I was affiliated with them, I had the opportunity to score a couple of films, do soundtrack work for an animated series on VH-1, record tracks with Mark Slaughter and Nia Peeples, and work with my musical idols, Yes. The pay wasn't "millions" by any stretch, but rewarding nonetheless.

Meanwhile, my wife maintained job security and benefits. Thus when my "dream" job ended, I was able to transition into my current freelance mode, and I'm in now in a position at age 36 -- still pretty young! -- to focus a *lot* of my time on music.

So I guess the lesson(s) are these:

- It'll be easier to get married if you've already got a job -- and a wife with a lucrative career will buy you more musical freedom down the road.

- Stay patient, and it will happen.

Good luck with your decision!
    PBLOXAM
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 356
    RE: OT: Should I quit my job to focus on music? 2007/07/25 10:18:34 (permalink)
    This one is easy!!!!

Do whatever your heart tells you!!! Whatever path you choose has a different consequence....

Steady job means steady pay, but probably less fullfillment...(more attractive to women though!!!!)

Music road will be a struggle...There are phenomenal musicians out there that don't make big money...

Think of guys, like Holdsworth, MacAlpine, some of the greatest in the world and many others doing small clubs all over

for a couple of thousand for their whole entourage!!!! thats not a lot of money!!!

It's your choice, most important, have fun!!!

Gateway P4 3.0GHZ 2.5GIGS PC-3200
    XP-Pro sp2- Sonar 6.2.1PE
    Tascam DM-3200 - MOTU 2408MK3 - PCI-424
    TRUTH MONITORS W/SUB
    Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Rode, Audio Technica,
    and Oktava
    http://www.myspace.com/blindsociety1
    Kev999
    Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3922
    RE: OT: Should I quit my job to focus on music? 2007/07/25 14:27:07 (permalink)
    ...Lately, work has been killing my creativity and draining all of my energy and focus- I had been recording and working on my music at nights and on the weekend, but I've realized I just can't do it anymore. When I come home, my brain is fried and all I want to do is relax and rest and I keep putting my music off even though I really do want to work on it...

I have that problem too. I do a technical office-based job which is moderately demanding and involves a certain amount of concentration and focus. It's not that I dislike the work, but I often find that when I return home after a day's work, it takes a while to adjust my mindset and get into musician mode. If I'm tired, it's impossible.

But not all jobs are like this. The best types of day job for a musician are ones that don't demand prolonged concentration and thus allow you to keep part of your mind on music throughout the day. Some of the best musical ideas come to you while doing routine tasks. Perhaps manual work would be more suitable for your situation.

SonarPlatinum(22.11.0.111)|Mixbus32C(4.3.19)|DigitalPerformer(9.5.1)|Reaper(5.77)
    FractalDesign:DefineR5|i7-6850k@4.1GHz|16GB@2666MHz-DDR4|MSI:GamingProCarbonX99a|Matrox:M9148(x2)|UAD2solo(6.5.2)|W7Ult-x64-SP1
    Audient:iD22+ASP800|KRK:VXT6|+various-outboard-gear|+guitars&basses, etc.
    Having fun at work lately
    mcourter
    Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3442
    RE: OT: Should I quit my job to focus on music? 2007/07/25 16:17:12 (permalink)
    Having been in that position, my advice is:Keep the day job. That does not preclude doing the music you love. I worked days, played nights...........until I found my two year old son wanting Daddy to play, while I was recovering from last night's gig, getting ready for the next. I quit giggin to be a single Dad, and never regretted that. But, lo, these many years later, I'm still playing and having as much fun at it as ever I did in the bad ol' days.
    Mark

A few guitars, a couple of basses, a MIDI controller, a mandolin, a banjo, a mic, PodFarm2
    Unbridled Enthusiasm
     My music: www.Soundclick.com/markcourter
    AsherLongley
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 683
    RE: OT: Should I quit my job to focus on music? 2007/07/25 17:25:13 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Kev999

...Lately, work has been killing my creativity and draining all of my energy and focus- I had been recording and working on my music at nights and on the weekend, but I've realized I just can't do it anymore. When I come home, my brain is fried and all I want to do is relax and rest and I keep putting my music off even though I really do want to work on it...

I have that problem too. I do a technical office-based job which is moderately demanding and involves a certain amount of concentration and focus. It's not that I dislike the work, but I often find that when I return home after a day's work, it takes a while to adjust my mindset and get into musician mode. If I'm tired, it's impossible.

But not all jobs are like this. The best types of day job for a musician are ones that don't demand prolonged concentration and thus allow you to keep part of your mind on music throughout the day. Some of the best musical ideas come to you while doing routine tasks. Perhaps manual work would be more suitable for your situation.

I'd have to second Kev999's comment. Manual labor is great for creating songs. I have a high-stress, extremely technical job. I don't really get much inspiration from 8am-5pm. But songs just pour out when I'm mowing the lawn! ;-)

-Matt
    droddey
    RE: OT: Should I quit my job to focus on music? 2007/07/25 17:35:14 (permalink)
    Everyone knows how to get the songwriting juices going... Just fall in love with a woman out of your league (when she's on the rebound of course), then when she recovers and remembers that she can be going out with guys who use hair products and can tie a tie, she'll dump you, and you'll go on an alchohol binge. When you recover, you'll have all kinds of good material write about.

Dean Roddey
    www.charmedquark.com
    ArrowHead
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 231
    RE: OT: Should I quit my job to focus on music? 2007/07/25 19:02:40 (permalink)
    I was lucky enough to have spent a few years singing in an awesome metal band. We got a record deal with Unique Leader, who is one of the most significant labels for the style we played. I got to see my album online, in stores, and most importantly, in peoples HANDS. It was pretty fulfilling.

I also got to meet and play with a lot of other bands, who had also signed record deals. Some with bigger labels, some smaller. Some had endorsements, vans, busses, etc... No matter though, they all got what they had the same way: Touring. And the reality is that even the best bands, and the really successful ones, didn't make much money. And it's NOT as glorious as one may think. Hotel rooms and limos went out in the 80's. Nowadays, you're far more likely to be spooning with the bassist in the back of a van while the drummer is driving to the next gig.

I'm not arguing for or against music as a profession. It has wonderful rewards, and it has it's shortfalls. However, I'll be brutally honest with you: To become and stay successful as a recording artist can and most likely will require lots of touring. And even then, success is not guaranteed. In addition, you're not going to make a lot of money. I'm not going to drop names, since finances are private matters, but I'll give you a good example: From near where I am, there is a very successful band. They get regular MTV play, have an awesome recording contract with a major label that is one of the biggest and most long standing in the industry, and do massive tours and festivals all year long. I had always assumed that these guys were making HUGE money. Once, when setting up a bill, I found out that it cost upward of $10,000 to play a single show. Figure that multiplied by 5-6 shows a night, 8 or 9 months at a time, and I just assumed these guys were all loaded. Turns out, in fact, that when touring each band member gets around 20-30 dollars a day to live off of. That's it. Any other money that make is off merch sales, and that goes into a band-fund. In other words, it's less than they'd be making working at McDonalds. In ADDITION, when they are off-tour, the label pays them around $800 a week each to live off of. This is again the equivalent of working at McDonald's, only as a manager this time.

It's not glorious, and it's not the most intelligent way to earn a living, but it has immense rewards especially if you're doing it because you love to play. If you are simply entertaining the idea of lottery winning style pay and rock stardom, though, I'd drop the idea pretty quickly.
    Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 9
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1