Helpful ReplyLockedSONAR Newburyport now available

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 6 of 13
Author
joel77
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 489
Re: SONAR Newburyport now available 2016/02/24 22:48:11 (permalink)
Thanks for another update, Bakers!!! Looking forward to trying it out.

Keep up the GREAT work!!!!

Joel  Glaser
Studio 52     

God Bless America
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sonar x64, Win 7 Pro, Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R, 
Intel i7-930 2.86GHz dual quad core, 12GB Corsair DDL3,
Asus ATI Radion HD 4350, WD 500 GB SATA, 
Dual WD 1TB SATA HDs, ME RayDAT, Alesis HD24XR - A/D-D/A

https://www.facebook.com/...dio-52/811309178917929
www.thebrothersglaser.com
Anderton
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: SONAR Newburyport now available 2016/02/24 23:16:14 (permalink)
mudgel
I mostly make up my own mind about things but in an area where I have no experience I'm inclined to rely on the expertise of those I know in a particular field.

I have no experience with Auto mastering software so short of trying it myself I'm inclined to listen to people that have credibility in my world. When Craig C. Says that there can be benefits apart from the purely mastering side, then I'm inclined to give his opinion some weight until such time as I've examined the service for myself and form an opinion of my own.

Just to be clear, I would not use LANDR to master my recordings or anyone else's. I know how to master and I often do surgery, not just processing. 

However anyone who has spent hours generating MP3s of rough mixes for clients after a long session will see the benefits immediately. Being able to deliver something that's closer to mastered, without having to spend time mastering (even if it's a cursory job) something with a lifespan that's measured in hours or maybe a few days, is invaluable. That's why I think the people dumping on LANDR simply don't understand all the ramifications of having this tool available.

But whether you need LANDR or not, I can't understand the negativity being dumped on Cakewalk. Som folks seem to have a real need to dump on Cakewalk no matter what. Apart from whatever discussions took place to come to some agreement about implementing a connection to LANDR, all the time Cakewalk have spent is about similar to what any of us can do to include another codec in the export audio menu by using the supplied External codec configuration tool.

Well to be fair, they also wrote a press release about it. And I had to spend about 25 minutes describing how it works and typical applications for the eZine, although it appears not a whole lot of people read it to understand exactly what it was they were complaining about 

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
perfectprint
Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 862
Re: SONAR Newburyport now available 2016/02/24 23:18:10 (permalink)
ill add my voice to the LANDR hate train. 

had they kept their unlimited low-res plan that I demoed in the past, it would have been a painless addition. but only getting a preview and a 2 mp3 dl limit is just rotten advertising

Sonar Platinum                      

mettelus
Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5321
Re: SONAR Newburyport now available 2016/02/24 23:18:39 (permalink)
The "LANDR Master" still shows as an export option even with it first removed manually, and with a rollback to Manchester followed by a manual installation of Newburyport (and deselecting its installation). If functional without installation (and I didn't test), I am also now very curious why their software has been baked into the installer for SONAR? Running from the CCC would not make a user aware of this, and it didn't occur to me until I saw the "bloatware" comments either.

For those who haven't noticed, SONAR began last year as a 312MB download (just Splat, mind you). Newburyport is now 515MB - nearly 80MB higher than Manchester alone - and includes "LANDR" which expands to something like 145MB. Because of the rollback feature, I assume this will continue to be baked in going forward, which also makes no sense if their software changes and a SONAR user rolls back. Everyone is now forced to download this each month even if they do not want it?

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
ampfixer
Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5508
Re: SONAR Newburyport now available 2016/02/24 23:19:20 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby mettelus 2016/02/24 23:37:28
Some people like it and some don't. Fair enough. I can't figure out why Craig and the Bakers are giving it such a hard sell. There's nothing to defend and it's not even a Cakewalk product. Seems to be a lot of bandwidth devoted to a product that they didn't develop.

Does LANDR pay companies to embed it in their programs?

Regards, John 
 I want to make it clear that I am an Eedjit. I have no direct, or indirect, knowledge of business, the music industry, forum threads or the meaning of life. I know about amps.
WIN 10 Pro X64, I7-3770k 16 gigs, ASUS Z77 pro, AMD 7950 3 gig,  Steinberg UR44, A-Pro 500, Sonar Platinum, KRK Rokit 6 
irvin
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 142
Re: SONAR Newburyport now available 2016/02/25 00:57:20 (permalink)
Anderton
Just to be clear, I would not use LANDR to master my recordings or anyone else's. I know how to master and I often do surgery, not just processing. 

Translation: this is crap for those who don't know what they are doing. That's exactly what I said. The suckers have now heard it straight from their master salesman's mouth: "I would not use LANDR to master my recordings or anyone else's".

AndertonHowever anyone who has spent hours generating MP3s of rough mixes for clients after a long session will see the benefits immediately.

Translation: "LANDR is good for those people so inept they spend HOURS generating MP3s, instead of slapping an eq/limiter on the master channel in 10 seconds".

Anderton That's why I think the people dumping on LANDR simply don't understand all the ramifications of having this tool available.

The only 'ramification' is that we are getting bloatware masquerading as a "feature".
irvin
Re: SONAR Newburyport now available 2016/02/25 01:14:40 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby mettelus 2016/02/25 02:33:24
Funny details about LANDR:

They conducted a demo and it turned out to be Reaper with a couple of plugins doing the "mastering". TRUE - unbelievable as it might be. The developer admitted it and offered some lame excuse for the fiasco. Check it out:

https://www.gearslutz.com...mixgenius-landr-3.html

I'm sure Cakewalk knows what's going on - the question is why are they pushing this monstrosity on their loyal customers? Maybe they didn't have enough "features" for this month? Honestly, I'd not mind a few months of bug fixing and code optimization, without these "features" that do more harm than good.
cparmerlee
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1153
Re: SONAR Newburyport now available 2016/02/25 01:15:21 (permalink)
ampfixer
Does LANDR pay companies to embed it in their programs?

I don't know anything about this particular relationship, and Cakewalk probably won't disclose that.  But it is certainly a common practice to do a revenue split.  For example, if you are on the "pay as you go" plan and you pay $10 for a mastered WAV file, I'd certainly expect that to be split between Cakewalk and LANDR.  Otherwise, why go through the trouble, considering that Sonar already has mastering tools and there are lots of other features and bug fixes that the Sonar user base would like to see?

DAW: SONAR Platinum Audio I/F: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 gen2
OS: Windows 10 64-bit CPU: Haswell 4790 4.0 GHz, 4 core, 8 thread  Memory: 16 GB      Video: GTX-760Ti
Storage: Sandisk SSD 500GB for active projects. ReadyNAS 20 TB for long-term storage

sonocrafters.com
cparmerlee
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1153
Re: SONAR Newburyport now available 2016/02/25 01:37:20 (permalink)
irvin
They conducted a demo and it turned out to be Reaper with a couple of plugins doing the "mastering". TRUE - unbelievable as it might be. The developer admitted it and offered some lame excuse for the fiasco. Check it out:

To be fair, that was over a year ago.  They now claim to have something a bit more custom.  But this outfit strikes me as a bit sleazy.  The idea of running a sham demo two days before the public launch when they didn't actually have any of their automation working seems a bit strange to say the least.  Then when you look at their website proper, they provide no useful information about what they even purport to do.  They seem to fall back on "just try it and you will be amazed."  I found some examples that were not easy to turn up on their website, as well as the examples that have been posted here.  I also tried a few of my own files.  The impression I get from all of these data points is that they mostly are just doing a multiband compressor and cranking up the gain as high as it will go.  If so, that is a parlor trick, and really not a good basis for comparison.

What I find most off-putting is that there is no control over the process at all.  In one case, it took a fairly balanced track and made the crash cymbal jump out way too loud, and it sounded like whacking a pie tin.  What does one do when their process doesn't work?

DAW: SONAR Platinum Audio I/F: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 gen2
OS: Windows 10 64-bit CPU: Haswell 4790 4.0 GHz, 4 core, 8 thread  Memory: 16 GB      Video: GTX-760Ti
Storage: Sandisk SSD 500GB for active projects. ReadyNAS 20 TB for long-term storage

sonocrafters.com
Anderton
Re: SONAR Newburyport now available 2016/02/25 02:07:34 (permalink)
irvin
Anderton

Translation: this is crap for those who don't know what they are doing. That's exactly what I said. The suckers have now heard it straight from their master salesman's mouth: "I would not use LANDR to master my recordings or anyone else's".

You are totally distorting what I said because you didn't bother to find out the facts before you made up your outrageous claims and "translations" - like the last time you got into a fit because you said you were paying for "low quality, generic stuff" yet when asked to specify the low-quality generic stuff for which you paid...

Crickets. You were incapable of backing up your claims, you had no facts, so you just disappeared from the thread.

You have no idea what kind of mastering I do. I primarily do ALBUMS. An album is a collection of songs that flow together as a cohesive whole. They can involve crossfades, transitions, level matching among cuts, making artistic decisions about the best flow for cuts, avoiding having two songs in the same key follow each other if possible, and trimming intros and outros of songs so they work together. My album mastering ranges from classical to country to EDM to rock. Only someone who is completely ignorant about the mastering process would state "LANDR is crap" because it can't do that kind of mastering.  

irvin
AndertonHowever anyone who has spent hours generating MP3s of rough mixes for clients after a long session will see the benefits immediately.

Translation: "LANDR is good for those people so inept they spend HOURS generating MP3s, instead of slapping an eq/limiter on the master channel in 10 seconds".

I said: hours generating MP3s of rough mixers for clients. Note the "s." Plural. Multiple people over the years. Not spending hours generating an MP3 for a client. If I'd had LANDR, I could have exported and walked away to do things like annotate the session, put away cables, do backups, etc. while LANDR did its thing and gave the client a choice as to which version they wanted. You're comparing slapping an EQ and compressor across the master bus to generating three different MP3s and giving clients a choice about which one they want, as well as getting clues about how they're going to want it mastered in the final analysis based on which one they choose.

Maybe the way you would do business is to slap on EQ and a limiter, hand whatever comes out to the client, and say "take it or leave it." That's not my style. I try to give a little bit extra.

irvin
Anderton That's why I think the people dumping on LANDR simply don't understand all the ramifications of having this tool available.

The only 'ramification' is that we are getting bloatware masquerading as a "feature".

So you still haven't read the eZine to find out what it can do.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
charlyg
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 950
Re: SONAR Newburyport now available 2016/02/25 02:43:23 (permalink)
How come when I do a select all, export audio, I seemingly get a good if not great .wav every time? This can't be an accident.....I'm guessing there must be some auto mastering going on. Maybe not much, but some?

It is more than possible my standards aren't up to snuff yet, but regular folks seem to like what they hear so far.
post edited by charlyg - 2016/02/25 02:58:45

Larry Jones
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 834
Re: SONAR Newburyport now available 2016/02/25 03:03:14 (permalink)
charlyg
How come when I do a select all, export audio, I seemingly get a good if not great .wav every time? This can't be an accident.....I'm guessing there must be some auto mastering going on. Maybe not much, but some?

It is more than possible my standards aren't up to snuff yet, but regular folks seem to like what they hear so far.

Charly - You're probably "mixing as you go," tweaking the balance, EQ, reverb and other settings during playback, so when you break for the day and export a rough mix, it's actually a pretty good mix. However, when you are ready to produce output for sale or to post on a band website, YouTube, or anyplace where you want the public to hear it, you might discover that your pretty good mix is not competitive out there in the bad world. That's when you might want to look into mastering. Not saying LANDR is the answer for you, but certainly Craig Anderton believes in it, which definitely counts for something.
post edited by Larry Jones - 2016/02/25 03:17:35

SONAR Platinum 2017.10 • CbB  Win10 • i7/2600 • 16GB RAM • Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 • NVIDIA GeForce 8400GS
Anderton
Re: SONAR Newburyport now available 2016/02/25 03:20:57 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Noel Borthwick [Cakewalk] 2016/02/25 08:16:59
ampfixer
Some people like it and some don't. Fair enough. I can't figure out why Craig and the Bakers are giving it such a hard sell. 

Because I've mastered hundreds of tracks, and know the difference between people who spend thousands of dollars for what I call mastering with a capital M - mission critical projects that will affect someone's career - and mastering with a small m, those who simply want something to sound better and don't have the knowledge to master it themselves, or the money to pay an engineer. So, what are their options?

Well, they can try any of the existing online mastering services, of which there are dozens, if not hundreds. But I don't know of any that give instant previews. To answer cparmarlee's question, which is valid - "What does one do when their process doesn't work?" - the answer is simple: use someone else. It hasn't cost you a cent, or more than a couple minutes. A lot of my clients came to me because they weren't satisfied with what they got from a pro mastering engineer, in one case a Grammy award winner. If someone can be not satisfied with a Grammy award winning mastering engineer, they can certainly be not satisfied with an online automated mastering service. There's no crime in getting a second opinion, or taking your business elsewhere. 

I've already explained that as a pro mastering engineer, LANDR would be tremendously helpful when working with clients, for multiple reasons - primarily in terms of saving me time and saving them money be cutting down on the back-and-forth, and helping clients give me better mixes that I don't have to send back to them with instructions on needed changes. I'm not going to go through describing it all over again. the short form is in the eZine. So I guess if you want to ascribe dark motives, okay...I would indeed benefit from working with  a client who has access to LANDR.

My job is helping people make better music. That's what I do at Harmony Central, that's what I do with the Tip of the Week, that's what I do with articles for Gibson.com, and especially, when someone entrusts me with their mixes to enhance their talent and help them express their vision. Helping musicians is why I put all my circuits in the public domain instead of patenting them. That's why Peavey, Steinberg, Electro-Harmonix, TASCAM, Line 6, Kurzweil, and many others have used my designs without my asking, or wanting, anything in return. I get nothing from the content I'm generating for Cakewalk, including projects for which they charge money, like the Gibson Bass Collection. The reward is when I get a PM from someone saying they did a shootout of virtual basses, and they liked mine best. I helped them make better music. Mission accomplished.

So now there's a tool that could be genuinely helpful to people - how many threads have you seen in this forum about mastering and/or getting a better sound? - and Cakewalk thinks people would appreciate having it available as part of SONAR so a file can be exported to LANDR as easily as it can be exported to FLAC. And they're accused of forcing things down peoples' throats, disseminating bloatware, partnering with a company that "preys on the ignorant," etc. Even people who've never tried LANDR feel eminently qualified to say it's crap.

You want to put LANDR out of business? Here's how: start a web site, and tell people you'll master anything they send you for $9 (you want to compete with LANDR, so charge a buck less for a WAV file one-off). You'll give them three versions within a couple minutes at any time of the day or night, and if they don't like the results, they don't have to pay anything. Oh, and make sure you give better results than what LANDR gives, or there's no point in trying to compete.

I've gotten into trouble with professional mastering engineers by telling people it's not a black art, and if you have great ears, good acoustics, accurate monitors, and know how signal processing and waveform editing works, you can do mastering. You'll suck at first, but the  more you do it, the better you'll get. It took me 20 years to reach a skill level to where I was worth being paid thousands of dollars to master peoples' music, but I got there. People who consider themselves "great" mastering engineers don't like my attitude that anyone can do it if they work hard enough. They want people to think it's a black art (well it is for vinyl, but that's a whole other story, and that's how they got that black art reputation).

Now I'm getting into trouble for recommending that people try something with the potential to make their music sound better. But, that's not why I'm being persistent. I don't want people who could truly benefit from this to be swayed by people with closed minds and hateful attitudes. All we hear from the haters is "LANDR won't do what a great human mastering engineer can do."

The irony, of course, is that they are unknowingly repeating what LANDR itself says on their site**, and even in their press release. What the haters aren't saying is what LANDR does do, probably because they don't know. It's frustrating to have spent hours checking it out, testing it, doing evals, discussing it with others, then distilling that experience into 25 minutes of writing a quick read in the eZine to give people a head start on understanding what it can and cannot do...and then realizing that work was for nothing. Those with open minds will try it out and figure out what's useful about it and what isn't, so they don't need to have it explained to them because they're smart and will figure it out anyway. Those with a "don't confuse me with the facts, my mind is made up" attitude won't read it.

So, that also means there's no point in continuing this dialog because I've said everything I need to say. If people want to limit their options, then vaya con dios. Go learn how to master, you'll learn a lot in the process.

**"The polish and balance achieved through the subtle adjustments of a skilled mastering engineer is not something we would ever diminish. There are some very talented engineers out there with exceptional ears, capable of brilliant work. It’s a beautiful art form, but there’s also a lot of science behind it, as our resident astrophysicist can attest. What we've designed is a tool that’s so easy and affordable to use, it just makes sense to try LANDR out first. If you’re unsure of the results, and can afford to invest more time, effort and money, then pro mastering may well be worth your while. Having a LANDR file as a reference can be a useful tool; along with your feedback it will guide a mastering engineer in the right direction." - LANDR FAQ

M@
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 221
Re: SONAR Newburyport now available 2016/02/25 05:08:40 (permalink)
Beepster:
"..Anyway... point is, although this LANDR thing may be useful for some it's not really what I think folks had in mind when they request more mastering oriented tools..."
+1

Tracking: Sonar Platinum (X3 Producer, X2 studio, X1 expanded, 8.3) (64bit)
System: Win10 Pro (64bit), Asus  P8Z77 V Le Plus, I7-3770k, 16GB Ram, SSD System drive, Raid1 Recording & Backup drive, VS-700 Set, TC Konnekt 48
Instruments: Roland Juno Stage, Kawai CA5, Washburn X50Pro, Blackstar-One100, Merida,...
JoeHans
  • Total Posts : 149
Re: SONAR Newburyport now available 2016/02/25 05:32:46 (permalink)
How do you find the stability in Newburyport? I had a couple of strange crashes last night so simply interested to hear how things are working for others.

Sonar Platinum running on: Intel i7-2600k, ASUS P8Z68-V Pro, Kingston V300 SSD 240GB + OCZ 60GB SSD + Samsung 1TB HDD, 16GB Ram, E-MU 0404 USB
M@
Re: SONAR Newburyport now available 2016/02/25 06:19:04 (permalink)
Anderton
M@
[Quarterly updates would be fine for me.

Then update once a quarter.

That's not the same. By quarterly I meant something like (example):
1.Q - Mix recall + Loop content
2.Q - Vocalsync + .....
3.Q - Drum Replacer + Anderton FX
4.Q - Patchpoints + ....TH3?

Then there's more room & time for fixes, implementing user desired workflow improvements and testing (in house & with dedicated beta-testers) during the year and leaves: Start-screen, Synth recording, Style Dials, Upsample, Rapture Session for the next year.
(Again order and appearance of features & content just by example)

System: Win10 Pro (64bit), Asus  P8Z77 V Le Plus, I7-3770k, 16GB Ram, SSD System drive, Raid1 Recording & Backup drive, VS-700 Set, TC Konnekt 48
Instruments: Roland Juno Stage, Kawai CA5, Washburn X50Pro, Blackstar-One100, Merida,...
coolbass
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 78
Re: SONAR Newburyport now available 2016/02/25 06:24:04 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby jbow 2016/02/25 21:56:06
rcklln
I think it would be best to have the LANDR installation/integration listed as a separate install item in C3.

Snehankur
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 507
Re: SONAR Newburyport now available 2016/02/25 06:56:48 (permalink)
Isn't there anything in SPALT-N other that LANDR?

THambrecht
Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 867
Re: SONAR Newburyport now available 2016/02/25 06:59:48 (permalink)
The most problem of LANDR is, that you don't know what LANDR is doing with this song.
I cannot imagine that they have rebuild an expensive Equalizer from Manley, or a Compressor from Fairchild. I can also not imagine that they have rebuild iZotope Ozone.
The components from LANDR are soulless unknown plugins without any character.
LANDR does not even describe which components are used.
Normally a mastering engineer chooses very specific expansive devices or plugins to give the song a special coloring.
By LANDR there is not even the chance to look at the parameters and change some options or devices.
A hobby amateur musician needs usually no mastering - or can get iZotope Ozone for 250$ with ready-to-go presets.
LANDR is only a nice gimmick. But "Mastering" must be absolute perfect, otherwise it is no "Mastering".

We digitize tapes, vinyl, dat, md ... in broadcast and studio quality for publishers, public institutions and individuals.
4 x Intel Quad-CPU, 4GHz Sonar Platinum (Windows 10 - 64Bit) and 14 computers for recording tapes, vinyl ...

4 x RME Fireface 800, 2 x Roland Octa Capture and 4 x Roland Quad Capture, Focusrite .... Studer A80, RP99, EMT948 ...

(Germany)  http://www.hambrecht.de
Bristol_Jonesey
  • Total Posts : 16775
Re: SONAR Newburyport now available 2016/02/25 07:12:09 (permalink)
coolbass
rcklln
I think it would be best to have the LANDR installation/integration listed as a separate install item in C3.

Why?

In order to save approx 500ms in download time?

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
tenfoot
Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2186
Re: SONAR Newburyport now available 2016/02/25 07:15:32 (permalink)

Snehankur
Isn't there anything in SPALT-N other that LANDR?

Depends.  Do you know how to insert a track? :) 
post edited by tenfoot - 2016/02/25 07:30:28

Bruce.

Sonar Platinum 2017-09, Studio One 3.5.3, Win 10 x64, Quad core i7, RME Fireface, Behringer X32 Producer, Behringer X32 Rack, Presonus Faderport, Lemure Software Controller (Android), Enttec DMXIS VST lighting controller, Xtempo POK.
Kylotan
Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 995
Re: SONAR Newburyport now available 2016/02/25 07:21:58 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Noel Borthwick [Cakewalk] 2016/02/25 08:20:04
irvin
Funny details about LANDR:

They conducted a demo and it turned out to be Reaper with a couple of plugins doing the "mastering". TRUE - unbelievable as it might be.

Why is that a problem? I'd love it if Sonar were as automatable and customisable as REAPER.

In theory there's no reason why this sort of system can't work. The system can look at the music it receives, make some assessments about which plugins to use and which parameters to use, and can then perform the result automatically. I don't buy the argument that a mastering engineer choosing his or her favourite vintage compressor yields any actual improvement over a 'soulless unknown plugin' (to quote the poster several posts up) - there's far too much confirmation bias around audio hardware, usually from people who've spent far too much on gear to admit that nobody can hear the difference.

I've released 2 albums - one I paid a well-known engineer in our genre to master, and one I mastered myself. The comments in both cases have been near identical. I know some expensive outboard gear was used when I outsourced the mastering, but nobody but the engineer (and now you guys) will ever know that for certain. And nobody is wishing I'd not mastered the other album myself, even though it was done entirely with plugins in Sonar. (Which incidentally is why I'll never use LANDR, but hey, I'm here to make a point, not defend a specific product.)
post edited by Kylotan - 2016/02/25 07:36:14

Sonar Platinum (Newburyport) / Win 8.1 64bit / Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 / Absynth / Kontakt / Play / Superior Drummer 2 / ESP LTD guitar / etc

Twilight's Embrace - gothic/death metal | Other works - instrumental/soundtracks
irvin
Re: SONAR Newburyport now available 2016/02/25 07:52:51 (permalink)
Anderton
You are totally distorting what I said because you didn't bother to find out the facts before you made up your outrageous claims and "translations"

What "facts" would they be? That you didn't say what you said? You said it:

"Just to be clear, I would not use LANDR to master my recordings or anyone else's. I know how to master and I often do surgery, not just processing."

Of course, you wouldn't! You know it's crap. But you have a tricky problem in your hands: you need to recommend LANDR to beginners, but you don't want to further soil your reputation by implying you use the crappy service. So, here you are speaking out of both sides of your mouth: 'yes, it great, but I don't use it - I mean, if you are on the market for a quick mastering service, LANDR will serve your purpose'. Of course! If you are looking for crap, yes, LANDR is your product! 

Anderton
- like the last time you got into a fit because you said you were paying for "low quality, generic stuff" yet when asked to specify the low-quality generic stuff for which you paid...
Crickets. You were incapable of backing up your claims, you had no facts, so you just disappeared from the thread.

I DID say what it was - right there in my initial post: I do NOT find any value or use in getting 40.000 guitar loops and generally all the crap you produce. Want it more clear than that?

Anderton
You have no idea what kind of mastering I do. I primarily do ALBUMS. An album is a collection of songs that flow together as a cohesive whole. They can involve crossfades, transitions, level matching among cuts, making artistic decisions about the best flow for cuts, avoiding having two songs in the same key follow each other if possible, and trimming intros and outros of songs so they work together. My album mastering ranges from classical to country to EDM to rock. Only someone who is completely ignorant about the mastering process would state "LANDR is crap" because it can't do that kind of mastering.  

Everyone who does mastering does that or a variation of that. What's your point? A little, transparent and witless attempt at obfuscating the real issue?

The real issue is you would not use LANDR because you know it's crap. Why would YOU go OUT OF YOUR WAY to CLARIFY you don't use it, while pushing it down your loyal customers throats?

Anderton 
I said: hours generating MP3s of rough mixers for clients. Note the "s." Plural. Multiple people over the years. Not spending hours generating an MP3 for a client. If I'd had LANDR, I could have exported and walked away to do things like annotate the session, put away cables, do backups, etc. while LANDR did its thing and gave the client a choice as to which version they wanted.

Even then, LANDR would not be faster or more effective than inserting an FX chain on the master channel. Why should anyone pay for an obviously crappy automated online "mastering" service that was exposed as nothing more than Reaper plus a couple of plugins?

Anderton
You're comparing slapping an EQ and compressor across the master bus to generating three different MP3s and giving clients a choice about which one they want, as well as getting clues about how they're going to want it mastered in the final analysis based on which one they choose.

You can do that faster, better and cheaper by slapping an FX chain on your master channel. And you know that. That's why you and any other semi-knowledgeable person would never use the crappy "mastering" service.

Anderton 
Maybe the way you would do business is to slap on EQ and a limiter, hand whatever comes out to the client, and say "take it or leave it." That's not my style. I try to give a little bit extra.

Nope. That's what YOU are selling to Sonar users by shamelessly promoting this "service" that you went out of your way to clarify you DO NOT USE yourself.

I'm not the one slapping an EQ and limiter on the master channel and giving it to my clients. LANDR is - and you know it: once again, LANDR (for everyone's information) was proven to be no more than Reaper with a couple of plugins on the master channel. Even the LANDR developer admitted it and apologized for it with some lame excuse.

Anderton 
So you still haven't read the eZine to find out what it can do.

I know what it can do: it can apply automatic levels of EQ and limiting top your mix, regardless of what the mix actually needs. The results are horrendous - and that's why you don't use it yourself. That's why you don't want the slightest confusion about it: you don't use it - but others are free to waste their money.

A lot of pseudo-technical claims and vague statements. But in the end, it was proven (2 days before release, not less) to be Reaper plus a couple of automated (scripted) plugins doing the "mastering".

Do I need to post the link again? 
stevec
  • Total Posts : 11546
Re: SONAR Newburyport now available 2016/02/25 08:12:25 (permalink)
Just....    wow.

SteveC
https://soundcloud.com/steve-cocchi
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=39163

SONAR Platinum x64, Intel Q9300 (2.5Ghz), Asus P5N-D, Win7 x64 SP1, 8GB RAM, 1TB internal + ESATA + USB Backup HDDs, ATI Radeon HD5450 1GB RAM + dual ViewSonic VA2431wm Monitors;
Focusrite 18i6 (ASIO);
Komplete 9, Melodyne Studio 4, Ozone 7 Advanced, Rapture Pro, GPO5, Valhalla Plate, MJUC comp, MDynamic EQ, lots of other freebie VST plugins, synths and Kontakt libraries

coolbass
Re: SONAR Newburyport now available 2016/02/25 08:35:47 (permalink)
Bristol_Jonesey
coolbass
rcklln

Why?

In order to save approx 500ms in download time?

To me it is bloatware.
I do not want to see it or think about it.
It should be an option to exclude it from the sonar experience.
dcumpian
Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4124
Re: SONAR Newburyport now available 2016/02/25 08:39:20 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Joey Adams [Cakewalk] 2016/02/25 10:42:59
Seriously...if you don't want to use Landr...don't. What is wrong with that?

I like the fact that the bakers are even thinking about usability (in the case of the new Add Track feature). Looking forward to the next batch of updates.

Dan

Mixing is all about control.

My music:
http://dancumpian.bandcamp.com/ or https://soundcloud.com/dcumpian Studiocat Advanced Studio DAW (Intel i5 3550 @ 3.7GHz, Z77 motherboard, 16GB Ram, lots of HDDs), Sonar Plat, Mackie 1604, PreSonus Audiobox 44VSL, ESI 4x4 Midi Interface, Ibanez Bass, Custom Fender Mexi-Strat, NI S88, Roland JV-2080 & MDB-1, Komplete, Omnisphere, Lots o' plugins.    
Paul P
Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2685
Re: SONAR Newburyport now available 2016/02/25 08:48:14 (permalink)
coolbass

It is.

Sonar Platinum [2017.10], Win7U x64 sp1, Xeon E5-1620 3.6 GHz, Asus P9X79WS, 16 GB ECC, 128gb SSD, HD7950, Mackie Blackjack
M@
Re: SONAR Newburyport now available 2016/02/25 08:57:13 (permalink)
Zoolandr2 is in the cinemas here in europe as well......some say its funny

coolbass
Re: SONAR Newburyport now available 2016/02/25 09:06:47 (permalink)
Paul P
coolbass

It is.

Well I now did uninstall it, but I was not given the option not to install it while updating.
gswitz
Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5694
Re: SONAR Newburyport now available 2016/02/25 09:07:19 (permalink)
I wonder if you feed LANDR it's own output again and again, what would the recording become. Would it ever stop cutting the bass and compressing? Who will try it?

Craig, could we recursively feed it one of your best masters to see? We could analyze the improvements.

I'm cracking myself up this morning.
post edited by gswitz - 2016/02/25 09:30:10

StudioCat > I use Windows 10 and Sonar Platinum. I have a touch screen.
I make some videos. This one shows how to do a physical loopback on the RME UCX to get many more equalizer nodes.
Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 6 of 13
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1