Sonar / Roland Hardware BUT!!!

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 9
Author
John T
Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6783
RE: Sonar / Roland Hardware BUT!!! 2008/10/03 17:06:29 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: gtgarner

ORIGINAL: stratton

but if anyone takes the time to look at the competition

What do you suppose IS the competition?

The Competition YOU ASK????? Well here it is.

I have a This C24 and an ICON.
http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?langid=100&navid=219&itemid=5342

Or if you have some extra change.....go ICON (don't forget to move your mouse up to the top to select some studio views) My studio is up there.
http://www.digidesign.com/xtras/iconStudios.cfm

ICON is fantastic, but I don't think these are directly competing products. ICON is a level or two up from this in terms of functionality. And it's way, way more expensive - £10k for the core module.
post edited by John T - 2008/10/03 17:08:58
stratton
Max Output Level: -62 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1446
RE: Sonar / Roland Hardware BUT!!! 2008/10/03 17:14:03 (permalink)

http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?langid=100&navid=219&itemid=5342

Or if you have some extra change.....go ICON (don't forget to move your mouse up to the top to select some studio views) My studio is up there.

< Message edited by gtgarner -- 10/3/2008 5:02:43 PM >

Heh heh... nice stuff. I've never seen an ICON in the wild, but they look great in photos.

Which studio is yours?
gtgarner
Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 895
RE: Sonar / Roland Hardware BUT!!! 2008/10/03 17:14:31 (permalink)
John T.

How do you connect a microphone to the unit? THROUGH THE AUDIO INTERFACE!!! HOW DO YOU CONNECT ANY AUDIO INPUTS AND OUTPUTS?

THROUGH THE AUDIO INTERFACE!!!!.

THe control surface is controlling that audio interface. The audio interface has SONAR 8 in it. As well as the synths and everything else.

It's no different than ProTools control surfaces. C24 and ICON.
stratton
RE: Sonar / Roland Hardware BUT!!! 2008/10/03 17:16:47 (permalink)
ICON is fantastic, but I don't think these are directly competing products. ICON is a level or two up from this in terms of functionality. And it's way, way more expensive - £10k for the core module

John, you could SAVE $30K when buying an ICON bundle! With the money left over, you could by some more great gear!

Save Almost $30K with New ICON Bundles09/30/08
Get complete ICON and Pro Tools|HD system integration for all studio and production needs
John T
RE: Sonar / Roland Hardware BUT!!! 2008/10/03 17:19:40 (permalink)

John T.

How do you connect a microphone to the unit? THROUGH THE AUDIO INTERFACE!!! HOW DO YOU CONNECT ANY AUDIO INPUTS AND OUTPUTS?

THe control surface is controlling that audio interface. The audio interface has SONAR 8 in it. As well as the synths and everything else.

No, that's not how it works. Watch the sonicstate video. Sonar is installed to a PC as usual. The only thing that's working on the interface DSP is the Fantom synth.
John T
RE: Sonar / Roland Hardware BUT!!! 2008/10/03 17:20:51 (permalink)

ICON is fantastic, but I don't think these are directly competing products. ICON is a level or two up from this in terms of functionality. And it's way, way more expensive - £10k for the core module

John, you could SAVE $30K when buying an ICON bundle! With the money left over, you could by some more great gear!

Save Almost $30K with New ICON Bundles09/30/08
Get complete ICON and Pro Tools|HD system integration for all studio and production needs

Well, I'm not planning on spending 30k any time soon, so it wouldn't really be a saving would it?
gtgarner
RE: Sonar / Roland Hardware BUT!!! 2008/10/03 17:22:09 (permalink)

Which studio is yours?

"Another Country" Chicago Il. shows my c24 upgraded with D-Command panels.

I have a full ICON in my main room. THere are no pictures of that.
CJaysMusic
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 30423
RE: Sonar / Roland Hardware BUT!!! 2008/10/03 17:22:46 (permalink)
I'm disappointed. Thats all i need to say. Only 9 faders and its $2800. Yes it had knobs and transports and such, but i or we need atleast 24 faders and a sperate bus section
Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
Audio Blog
SvenArne
Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2719
RE: Sonar / Roland Hardware BUT!!! 2008/10/03 17:24:43 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: CJaysMusic

I'm disappointed. Thats all i need to say. Only 9 faders and its $2800. Yes it had knobs and transports and such, but i or we need atleast 24 faders and a sperate bus section
Cj

That big airplane throttle-style lever is kinda chunky, though. Anybody know what it does?

Sven

gtgarner
RE: Sonar / Roland Hardware BUT!!! 2008/10/03 17:26:54 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: John T

John T.

No, that's not how it works. Watch the sonicstate video. Sonar is installed to a PC as usual. The only thing that's working on the interface DSP is the Fantom synth.

John.

Look at the entire package you get with this product. SonicState is not showing the audio interface. This is a 2 unit package.

http://www.musicradar.com/news/tech/exclusive-cakewalk-and-roland-launch-v-studio-700-176068
Psychobillybob
  • Total Posts : 882
RE: Sonar / Roland Hardware BUT!!! 2008/10/03 17:28:14 (permalink)

Cj

My guess is that it allows you to scroll thru your actual inoputs, it makes no sense that it actually only has 9 tracks...pretty much like a bad marriage between a Mackie and Behringer and a Nocturn with so I/O...

By the way I think I made upa cool new word "INOPUTS"...

I expect royalties from anyone who uses it or derivatives in any future posts.

I'm using SOnar Platinium on a 6 core Lynx Audio machine and a ton of vintage pre-amps/eq's/comps I build for fun and sometimes money, REDD.47/API/Neve I also use the UAD stuff, and also use a Macbook Logic 9 through Apogee...
John T
RE: Sonar / Roland Hardware BUT!!! 2008/10/03 17:29:54 (permalink)
I'm talking about the 13 minute video on sonicstate, where Brandon explains the whole thing. I know there are two seperate units. What I'm saying is that Sonar is not running on the IO.

The IO is connected to the control surface, and the whole lot is connected to a PC via USB. Audio is recorded to the PC's hard drive as normal, which is also where Sonar is running.
John T
RE: Sonar / Roland Hardware BUT!!! 2008/10/03 17:31:12 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Psychobillybob

Cj

My guess is that it allows you to scroll thru your actual inoputs, it makes no sense that it actually only has 9 tracks...pretty much like a bad marriage between a Mackie and Behringer and a Nocturn with so I/O...
Yes, you can have however many tracks you have in your Sonar project and page through them. Not quite as nice as having 24 dedicated channel strips, but still very usable.

gtgarner
RE: Sonar / Roland Hardware BUT!!! 2008/10/03 17:31:13 (permalink)
How do you put a picture in the forum?

stratton
RE: Sonar / Roland Hardware BUT!!! 2008/10/03 17:31:35 (permalink)
Well, I'm not planning on spending 30k any time soon, so it wouldn't really be a saving would it?

A joke, John. See?
stratton
RE: Sonar / Roland Hardware BUT!!! 2008/10/03 17:32:38 (permalink)

How do you put a picture in the forum?

Upload a pic to a server and then put the link to it in a post.
John T
RE: Sonar / Roland Hardware BUT!!! 2008/10/03 17:33:04 (permalink)
I know, I was attempting to be humorous, apologies if that came across wrong.
AT
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10654
RE: Sonar / Roland Hardware BUT!!! 2008/10/03 17:36:14 (permalink)
Cj, Psycho,

just how many hands/fingers do you guys have? Since moving faders cost at least $100 a pop, more faders is more cost and space.

One of the videos has Brandon "locking" the faders so they stay focused to their tracks. Pretty nice - you can rearrange each fader as you go. Granted, you don't have 24 faders moving all at once, but you can't really move more than 8 at a time, anyway.

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
stratton
RE: Sonar / Roland Hardware BUT!!! 2008/10/03 17:36:22 (permalink)

VERY nice! You're right downtown, huh? Beautiful.

So, what's your take on the new Cake/Roland thingy?
post edited by stratton - 2008/10/03 17:38:40
stratton
RE: Sonar / Roland Hardware BUT!!! 2008/10/03 17:40:10 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: AT

Cj, Psycho,

just how many hands/fingers do you guys have? Since moving faders cost at least $100 a pop, more faders is more cost and space.

One of the videos has Brandon "locking" the faders so they stay focused to their tracks. Pretty nice - you can rearrange each fader as you go. Granted, you don't have 24 faders moving all at once, but you can't really move more than 8 at a time, anyway.

I like to have more available at one time rather than scroll through banks. Not a deal breaker for me, I'm failry content with one Mackie MCU.
John T
RE: Sonar / Roland Hardware BUT!!! 2008/10/03 17:41:45 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: SvenArne

Cj

That big airplane throttle-style lever is kinda chunky, though. Anybody know what it does?

Sven

It "destroys alderan".

The main thing he used it for in the video was x ray control on plug ins. Which is nice, but the big lever seemed to be over-doing it a bit. It does other things, apparently, but he didn't really go into it. Oh, I just remembered, it can do front / rear panning for surround sound. But again, you have that on the joystick already. So yeah, I'm a bit puzzled by the lever myself.
Blades
Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3246
RE: Sonar / Roland Hardware BUT!!! 2008/10/03 17:44:35 (permalink)

Lovely, but over double the price, so not really fair to call it competition.

In tems of Sonar running ON the interface: The web site doesn't have any "requirements" listed that I can see, but I'd be extremely surprised if Sonar was actually running ON the interface. Pretty certain you'd have to have a PC running Sonar.

Regarding USB2: Who cares if it gets the job done? USB1.1 wouldn't even be a contender here because of bandwidth requirements, but USB2 is past that. Why doesn't the "competition" use USB? Who knows? Who cares? Lots of Pro studios use NS10 monitors. Why? Not because they are so good, but because they are a known quantity and gained such widespread use that they became a standard of sorts. ProTools isn't "the best" available either in every respect. I've known a few folks who feel that Sonar has some things to offer that they would like, but ProTools is what they basically HAVE to use - because of the demand and because that's what the studio employees know well and use efficiently. That STILL doesn't mean its better. I think the same applies in this case - the technology is not well adopted as opposed to inferior.

Also, everyone is throwing around this $2800 price tag with the sort of understanding that it is JUST a control surface.

I'm going to quote myself here, since this seems to be the busier thread on the topic with what I would expect the price breakdown to be...

<though reading back through this and looking again at the interface, it may be a little over that $600 I said, which would effectively reduce the price of the controller portion>

I saw about $4000 street price in the press release. That would be for the whole thing. I wonder if they will offering this as parts of the whole as well. The control surface is really the part I would want. I already have all the rest of the stuff, including Sonar, synths, audio interface, etc. Unfornately, just about everyting in the package is new and doesn't have component prices out there yet, except for Sonar itself.

It seems like about a $600 audio interface in terms of comparing to others out there at rough glance.
I'd guess that the Fantom VS thing is in line with their Fantom Rack - assuming that the sound cration and processing is REALLY taking place on the hardware not the CPU (cue line6 devices like the UX2, which I love, but wouldn't want a synth to work like this - then it may as well be a VSTi), so let's assume that may knock off another $1400 or so.
Sonar 8 Producer is another $619 (new)
Rapture is another $200

Using $4000 as the starting point, that would leave about $1200. Of course, that's pretty much what you would pay for a Mackie Control, $1500 for a Euphonix (which of course is onle Mac anyway, but...), about $1200 for a Digidesign Command|8, etc.

If my guesses are anywhere close, and they offer the product as a seperate item, I think that we would be able to expect the level of quality in all of the above-mentioned control surfaces + the added benefit of true integration. It'll be interesting (for me) to see where this goes.

Blades
www.blades.technology  - Technology Info and Tutorials for Music and Web
SteveJL
Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4644
RE: Sonar / Roland Hardware BUT!!! 2008/10/03 17:44:50 (permalink)
These types of statements are what makes people think Sonar-users are primarily non-Pro. For full-blown Pro Studios, $50k to $100k is not crazy money to spend on world-class H/W and S/W. And this is what separates PT HD setups from all the others....the "Big Boys" keep the dream alive and the rest of us set up smaller versions and love to pretend that we are competing. Sorry to burst any bubbles, but let's keep things real, eh?

Look through some of those facilities with the Icon, they are the "Real Deal" (and no, I'm not in there, I'm a "project guy")

gtgarner
RE: Sonar / Roland Hardware BUT!!! 2008/10/03 17:47:16 (permalink)

VERY nice! You're right downtown, huh? Beautiful.

So, what's your take on the new Cake/Roland thingy?

I think that the Cake/Roland unit is a HUGE step in the right direction for Cakewalk...especially since they didn't have anything dedicated to Sonar.

The only thing I believe they should do now is make sure that their pluggins automatically line up with the buttons and knobs like ICON (which is TDM). It's a wonderful thing on ICON that I've never had to sit there and make ICON learn the buttons of pro-tools pluggins. The pan of thier pluggins is always the same rotary no matter what pluggin is selected.

Maybe cakewalk can come up with their own Control surface naming convention like "CAK" - So that when you order something like a pantheon pluggin you can have the originating company auto map all of the buttons to the V-Studio format.

Of course it's doesn't come close to my ICON ($85K) or my c24 ($8.5K) but I would expect it to.

All in all - I applaud Cakewalk. They are definitely going in the right direction!!!!! Of course I haven't used it, but I like what I see.
Psychobillybob
  • Total Posts : 882
RE: Sonar / Roland Hardware BUT!!! 2008/10/03 17:47:50 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: AT

Cj, Psycho,

My $199.00 Behringer already does this...IF I was forking out close to 4k the thing better take up more than 30" of desk space...

You can buy an analogue state of the art console with tube pre's and digital out for less from TL Audio...moving faders isn't all that and a bag of chips, its the price point and footprint...

If your going to spend "console level" money, heck buy a dang console.

For 4k you can buy a 24 track 2" tape deck...I'm just saying...

I'm using SOnar Platinium on a 6 core Lynx Audio machine and a ton of vintage pre-amps/eq's/comps I build for fun and sometimes money, REDD.47/API/Neve I also use the UAD stuff, and also use a Macbook Logic 9 through Apogee...
Blades
Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3246
RE: Sonar / Roland Hardware BUT!!! 2008/10/03 17:50:38 (permalink)
Ok...so I just read this in another thread - don't know who the person is who posted it, but appeared to be posting as Cakewalk (though not according to forum name):
Just to clear up a few things:

* SONAR V-Studio 700 is not shipping until Q1, 2009.
* SONAR 8 customers who purchase SONAR V-Studio 700 will be eligible for a rebate.
* SONAR V-Studio is designed as a complete solution. It will not be sold seperately.
* SONAR V-Studio has native support for VST effects & instruments, and ReWire devices. You can add thousands of virtual instruments and effects to your system.
* SONAR V-Studio can switch functionality to control any V-Link compatible video and image hardware including the Edirol DV-7 line of direct linear video editing systems.
* It is a full featured control surface with unlimited tracks, inserts, effects, and busses / extensive I/O / ACT hands-on control / video intergration / etc.

So I guess my speculation is now useless. No control surface for the rest of us.

Blades
www.blades.technology  - Technology Info and Tutorials for Music and Web
karim82
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 481
RE: Sonar / Roland Hardware BUT!!! 2008/10/03 17:51:30 (permalink)
can be used for video gear, watch the demo on the site

Cakewalk SONAR v8 - Windows 7 64bit (RC) - AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+ 2.8GHz ASUS M2N-SLI DELUXE - 4Gb RAM DDR2 667MHz - 160G System + 250G Recording + 1Tb Archiving - Sapphire Radeon HD4670 1Gb GDDR3 - ACER22"-Edirol UA-25-Waves Plugs,Bluetubes
gtgarner
RE: Sonar / Roland Hardware BUT!!! 2008/10/03 17:55:06 (permalink)
I do like the screws on the side of the Cake/Roland unit .

It's kinda like my ICON. THe screws on the side of my ICON meant that I could remove them and insert another 16 faders anytime that I wanted. It was extrememly simple to do.

I wonder if that's what the screws are for.
SvenArne
Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2719
RE: Sonar / Roland Hardware BUT!!! 2008/10/03 17:57:26 (permalink)

Sven

It "destroys alderan".

LOL, yeah I figured it would do something of cataclysmic proportions... The size of that thing!

Sven

John T
RE: Sonar / Roland Hardware BUT!!! 2008/10/03 18:01:25 (permalink)

Sven

It "destroys alderan".

LOL, yeah I figured it would do something of cataclysmic proportions... The size of that thing!

Sven

"That's no console..."
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 9
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1