Sonar / Roland Hardware BUT!!!

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 9
Author
John T
Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6783
RE: Sonar / Roland Hardware BUT!!! 2008/10/03 18:02:30 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: SteveJL

These types of statements are what makes people think Sonar-users are primarily non-Pro. For full-blown Pro Studios, $50k to $100k is not crazy money to spend on world-class H/W and S/W. And this is what separates PT HD setups from all the others....the "Big Boys" keep the dream alive and the rest of us set up smaller versions and love to pretend that we are competing. Sorry to burst any bubbles, but let's keep things real, eh?

Look through some of those facilities with the Icon, they are the "Real Deal" (and no, I'm not in there, I'm a "project guy")

http://www.digidesign.com/xtras/iconStudios.cfm

Ummm... I think the point we were all making was exactly that: this is not competition for an ICON-level setup.
gtgarner
Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 895
RE: Sonar / Roland Hardware BUT!!! 2008/10/03 18:07:06 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: John T

These types of statements are what makes people think Sonar-users are primarily non-Pro. For full-blown Pro Studios, $50k to $100k is not crazy money to spend on world-class H/W and S/W. And this is what separates PT HD setups from all the others....the "Big Boys" keep the dream alive and the rest of us set up smaller versions and love to pretend that we are competing. Sorry to burst any bubbles, but let's keep things real, eh?

Look through some of those facilities with the Icon, they are the "Real Deal" (and no, I'm not in there, I'm a "project guy")

Ummm... I think the point we were all making was exactly that: this is not competition for an ICON-level setup.

Ok then... for the simple interface. Just a few clicks away on the digidesign website you have the desktop version. Is this a small enough competition?

http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?langid=1&navid=125&itemid=5025

post edited by gtgarner - 2008/10/03 18:20:38
AT
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10654
RE: Sonar / Roland Hardware BUT!!! 2008/10/03 18:07:37 (permalink)
Yea, the behringer is cheap and you can add a bunch together. But the Mackie etc. are considerably more expensive - hopefully that quality level is what RolCake is going for.

And you can get a nice analog console w/o moving faders for the money.

Or a nice tape machine.

But this is a different beast, to point out the obvious. Sorry if I didn't make a little smiley sign with my finger joke.

Cake seems to have a nice package for the price, but the controller seems to be the main thing. Until people actually get the interface one won't know how that part of the package holds up - even with digital i/o availbe (why not 2 adat with SMUX?).

And Brandon intimated that more in the line should be coming. Maybe a controller only? Maybe a baby unit with one moving fader. Maybe an expander fader unit? Maybe one sans the T-bar, which looks cool but ... It is also used with video editing in one video.

later,

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
John T
RE: Sonar / Roland Hardware BUT!!! 2008/10/03 18:09:29 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: gtgarner

Ok then... for the simple people. Just a few clicks away on the digidesign website you have the desktop version. Is this a small enough competition?

http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?langid=1&navid=125&itemid=5025

You know what man, you are a staggeringly rude person. What's with this "simple people" stuff? What is your problem exactly? That thing isn't even ICON, so I don't know why you're getting all internet jackass about it. We were talking about ICON, not this.
post edited by John T - 2008/10/03 18:12:57
gtgarner
RE: Sonar / Roland Hardware BUT!!! 2008/10/03 18:11:35 (permalink)
Sorry...I meant simple interface. Calm Down!!!!

Someone asked what was Cake/Rolands competition. Their competition is clearly Digidesign/Pro-Tools. That's all I meant.

I applaud Cake/Rolland and I'm pulling for them. I ordered Sonar 8 and I use it for my MIDI implementation. I also own C24 as well as ICON.

Its just nice to see Cake/Roland produce something on the lines of control surface.

There has never been an opportunity to even talk about Sonar/Cakewalk and Digidesign in the same sentence concerning control surfaces, BUT NOW THERE IS!!!!!

I'm excited about it!!!
post edited by gtgarner - 2008/10/03 18:25:41
gtgarner
RE: Sonar / Roland Hardware BUT!!! 2008/10/03 18:20:26 (permalink)
I changed my comment. I mis-typed. Sorry if I offended you!!!.
John T
RE: Sonar / Roland Hardware BUT!!! 2008/10/03 18:23:37 (permalink)
OK, apologies for misunderstanding.
stratton
Max Output Level: -62 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1446
RE: Sonar / Roland Hardware BUT!!! 2008/10/03 18:26:03 (permalink)
Sorry...I meant simple interface. Calm Down!!!!

Someone asked what was Cake/Rolands competition. Their competition is clearly Digidesign/Pro-Tools. That's it.

< Message edited by gtgarner -- 10/3/2008 6:15:44 PM >

I read "simple" the same way. Good to know you meant the interface. Forums can be tricky....

I'd agreee about this being the intended competiton. I completely forgot about the Digi 003. My guess is that the VC-700 would SMOKE this thing in every conceivable way, except in controling ProTools plugs. Audio quality, feature set. Track count!!

And well, it should for the diffrence in price.
subtlearts
Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2200
RE: Sonar / Roland Hardware BUT!!! 2008/10/03 18:32:09 (permalink)

The Fantom is in the IO box

... the ghost in the machine?

tobias tinker 
music is easy: just start with complete silence, and take away the parts you don't like!
tobiastinker.com
aeosrecords.com
soundfascination.com
Sonar Platinum, a bunch of other stuff...
gtgarner
RE: Sonar / Roland Hardware BUT!!! 2008/10/03 18:58:50 (permalink)
I would pay for the Control Surface. I don't need the audio interface. I would like to continue to use my own audio interface.

An ala-carte version would be nice.

http://www.sonarvstudio.com/system_integrators.php?page_num=4

They paired the units together according to the description.
DonM
Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4129
RE: Sonar / Roland Hardware BUT!!! 2008/10/03 19:08:00 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Fog

DonM who are you addressing with that post?

"I love this type of post. Absolutely zero experience, full of shallow opinion."

to make such an assumption you would have to know exactly what people did for a living.. and obviously none of us have gone to high end studios except you..lol

Paul:
You're right. I apologize.

I have been having a pretty bad week (long story - no excuse) but I should know better. I guess the USB thing just tipped the scale.

Again Sorry.

-D

Fog
  • Total Posts : 12302
RE: Sonar / Roland Hardware BUT!!! 2008/10/03 19:17:24 (permalink)
no worries Don , who'd have thought a bit of wire would caused such a stir

DonM
Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4129
RE: Sonar / Roland Hardware BUT!!! 2008/10/03 19:23:12 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Fog

no worries Don , who'd have thought a bit of wire would caused such a stir

Thanks. I appreciate your response - I owe you a pint!

-D

gtgarner
RE: Sonar / Roland Hardware BUT!!! 2008/10/03 19:23:31 (permalink)
If you watch this video carefully you will see that when he plugs his guitar into the console its being processed by the I/O interface. Its kinda like the input port on the console is just an extension of one of the line-ins of the i/o unit. Watch how the camera pans over to the I/O Audio interface.

The console isn't doing anything but extending the 1/4 inch line in of the I/O unit. THis occurs around 8:30 of the video.

http://www.sonarvstudio.com/view_video.php?id=1

All of his other audio is comming from internal softsynths.
Logicology
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 146
RE: Sonar / Roland Hardware BUT!!! 2008/10/03 19:27:11 (permalink)
Can we get a built in talkback mic in the VStudio 800?
John T
RE: Sonar / Roland Hardware BUT!!! 2008/10/03 19:27:45 (permalink)
That's a great feature, having DI on the front panel. Really useful and workflow-friendly.
SilkTone
Max Output Level: -59.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1566
RE: Sonar / Roland Hardware BUT!!! 2008/10/03 19:33:30 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: edentowers

Wish I could tell you of all the troubles I'm having with my Edirol UA-101 USB interface.

But I can't because I'm not!

On the other hand I am having endless problems with my Edirol FA-66 (Firewire) interface. So much that I feel like throwing the piece of garbage out the window and getting something that works properly.

Go figure!

Windows 10 Pro x64, SONAR Platinum 64-bit
Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 USB, ASRock Z97 Pro4, Haswell 4790k @ 4.4GHz
32GB DDR3/1600, 500GB SSD (OS) + 256 GB SSD + 3TB MD
NVIDIA GTX-1070, 40" 4K Monitor + 1 Monitor in ISO booth
TassieP
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 77
RE: Sonar / Roland Hardware BUT!!! 2008/10/03 19:33:37 (permalink)
No one has noticed (not even Cakewalk ) that there is NO pause button. 8 iterations of Sonar to get a pause button - I suppose this console uses the T-Bar to shift into pause?
Timur
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 179
RE: Sonar / Roland Hardware BUT!!! 2008/10/03 19:34:04 (permalink)
USB2 allows resolution downto 0.125 ms per micro-frame. Each microframe can transfers upto three pakets of upto 1024 bytes. One could argue that this is quite a good basis for Audio, Midi and Control transfers if handled properly by hardware and drivers.
post edited by Timur - 2008/10/03 19:36:51

We're all mad in here...
The Maillard Reaction
  • Total Posts : 31918
RE: Sonar / Roland Hardware BUT!!! 2008/10/03 19:39:06 (permalink)
One is a standard for streaming media with an enhancements for ensuring sync between datasets... the other is for transfering packets?

What USB interfaces allow you to send 18 mics to SONAR at the same time?

gordonrussell76
Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1879
RE: Sonar / Roland Hardware BUT!!! 2008/10/03 19:49:03 (permalink)
Man there is so much miss information in this thread, which i people actually read what is on the website half of which could be laid to rest.

1) The knobs use ACT and so intrinsically map to all included effects and soft sythns within Cakewalk, and I am guessing there will be templates available for the more popular 3rd parties.
2) Yes it only has 8 faders but thanks to be able to lock them, I personally feel this is more suited to mixing, I tend to submix stuff to bus's at the beginning of a mix, which flicking through faders does fine, becauase its rare I have more than 8 tracks on a bus, even Drums. THen I tend to have bus's and a few individual 'focus' tracks like bass, lead vocal, etc, which I use to really shape the mix. With this I would be able to lock my individual tracks to faders, and then flick through my bus's on teh faders that remain, everythign at my finger tips without having to search through 24 scribble strips to find the damn things. For me thsi is very cool, and probaly a more efficient way of working.
3) THe alderon (as the T-bar will immortally be known from know on, thank you Brandon) does Xray, and Surround, but most cooly can be assigned to ACT control any parameter you want to assign to it. Ie you want to do a filter sweep on a synth, instead of having to do it with a fiddlly little known, you just reach for the Alderon.
4) Somethign no-one has mentioned, but this more than many control surfaces I have seen in this price range eliminates teh need for mouse, the jog wheel perform edit functions, you can flick snap on and off, you can open piano roll and edit notes with the jog wheel etc, throw in ACt and really intuitive EQ control, that does not involve cycling trhough another menu per flipping band, and you are looking at somethign that is going to really increase workflow. I am especially interested in the editing parts becuase when I do Vocal tracking I am one of those guys that edits on the fly, becuase when you in it, and you hear something good I like to cut it together as I go, sometimes when you come back to it, you don't remember which take of 15 had the best sound for that line etc.

Couple of further points, 1) its day 1 of it being out, i am quite frankly amazed at the negativity, this thing is about a 4th of the price of an ICON/Protools rig, it kicks the Steinberg yammy things backside. 2) There are almost certainly going to release a control only version, okay so it has a propritary cable to the Audio unit, but all you need is a little box to plug this into with a USb out, and it will work, you buy the control surface plus this little box, for say $2000, that puts this in the same line as the MCU, but with far more features.

My last comment, I am sick and tired of whether this is PRO or not, in this day and age, money is not the determinator of whether kit is PRO or not. A good engineer can achieve pro results on reasonably priced equipment, but to someone who has just spanked the deposit for a house on what the salesman told them was PRO gear does not want to hear that.

I come back to the negativity thing, if after a month or so out, and people have used it, and found it wanted I am all for objective debate, but man, have a heart this thing has been in the world less than 24 hours and we are already damning it. way supportive.

To the guys at Cakewalk, Sonar 8 look fantastic, I am very excited, and this hardare also looks like a very positive step, well done for all your hardwork in pulling this together especialy during a year where you company has merged with another, well done.

To the naysayers, you guys better watch out, becuase come Decemeber 24th, 3 ghosts are gonna come visiting.

G

gordonrussell76
RE: Sonar / Roland Hardware BUT!!! 2008/10/03 19:55:23 (permalink)
Motu 828 Mkii USB allows you to send 10 mics, plus 8 line ins, so if you got a mic to line unit you could actually send 18 mics.

I think the firwire vs USB goes someting like this.

USB 1 is naff, all the comapanies develop drivers for Firewire becusae its better. USB 2 comes out, oh look its roughly teh same as Firewire now, but we have just spent shed loads of R&D and testing resource on Firewire drivers, hmm, screw USB.

That is a far more plausible reason why a lot of 'PRO' (I may vomit if I have to use that word again) stuff does not have USB.
Timur
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 179
RE: Sonar / Roland Hardware BUT!!! 2008/10/03 19:56:32 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: mike_mccue

One is a standard for streaming media with an enhancements for ensuring sync between datasets... the other is for transfering packets?

USB 2.0 should be capable of that. Isochronous Data Transfer (the one with the 0.125 ms micro-frames) has a maximum theoretical transfer-rate of 49.152.000 Byte/s (that's pure data without overhead). 18 mics of 96kHz/24bit need only 41.472.000 Byte/s.

From Wikipedia:

In the Universal Serial Bus used in computers, isochronous is one of the four data flow types for USB devices (the others being Control, Interrupt and Bulk). It is commonly used for streaming data types such as video or audio sources.

Isochronous mode allows for bandwidth allocation, by the way.
post edited by Timur - 2008/10/03 19:58:41

We're all mad in here...
John T
RE: Sonar / Roland Hardware BUT!!! 2008/10/03 19:57:40 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: gordonrussell76

4) Somethign no-one has mentioned, but this more than many control surfaces I have seen in this price range eliminates teh need for mouse, the jog wheel perform edit functions, you can flick snap on and off, you can open piano roll and edit notes with the jog wheel etc, throw in ACt and really intuitive EQ control, that does not involve cycling trhough another menu per flipping band, and you are looking at somethign that is going to really increase workflow.
Agreed. That is really fantastic, and despite the fact I don't need a huge amount of the features, I find it tempting just for that. Really, really great design.

Couple of further points, 1) its day 1 of it being out, i am quite frankly amazed at the negativity
I'm not amazed. This is the Sonar forum after all. The bellyaching that goes on here is as constant as it is unreasonable.
John T
RE: Sonar / Roland Hardware BUT!!! 2008/10/03 19:59:18 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Timur

ORIGINAL: mike_mccue

USB 2.0 should be capable of that. Isochronous Data Transfer (the one with the 0.125 ms micro-frames) has a maximum theoretical transfer-rate of 49.152.000 Byte/s (that's pure data without overhead). 18 mics of 96kHz/24bit need only 41.472.000 Byte/s.

From Wikipedia:

In the Universal Serial Bus used in computers, isochronous is one of the four data flow types for USB devices (the others being Control, Interrupt and Bulk). It is commonly used for streaming data types such as video or audio sources.

Isochronous mode allows for bandwidth allocation, by the way.

ARRR HE COMES HERE WITH HIS "SCIENCE"... IT'S WITCHCRAFT I TELL YE!
trock8500
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 575
RE: Sonar / Roland Hardware BUT!!! 2008/10/03 20:01:00 (permalink)
the penny and giles automated faders in the MCU units are about 12 bucks a pop, the alps faders in my M24 are a bit more, but they are nowhere near 100 bucks per

i agree JJ need 24 faders to make this worthwhile

post edited by trock8500 - 2008/10/03 20:09:41

www.timmallick.com
The Maillard Reaction
  • Total Posts : 31918
RE: Sonar / Roland Hardware BUT!!! 2008/10/03 20:01:24 (permalink)
Thanks to both of you for the replies.

GordonRussell that's exactly the sort of answer I was looking for.

Are there other 18 track USB interfaces on the market?

best,
mike
post edited by mike_mccue - 2008/10/03 20:06:34

gordonrussell76
RE: Sonar / Roland Hardware BUT!!! 2008/10/03 20:04:41 (permalink)
Yes, I am biased, not because I am a Sonar fanboy, but because I have been looking for a replacement control surface for my MCU, that will allow me more intuitive control of EQ , I mean a basic Analog mixer allows you to control 3 bands of EQ per channel, but there is very little out there that does that in a Control surface. I mean I would still prefer to have 3 knobs per channel strip. I have looked a lot at whats out there, and basically unless you wnat to part company with hlaf you yearly earnings, there is nothign that comes close. So based on my existing requirements for a control surface this ticks all the box's and hten some. Add into that the monitor control section, which is the equivalent of a Mackie Big knob being built in, plus the fact that you can save a snap shot of all your Audio in's (ie you could set up a session, get al the levels right for each insrument, save a snapshot, and be able to turn everythign on and be exactly where you were when you left off, Awsome. Also not having to constanly reach under the desk for knobs on teh audio interface(which means it could be located remotely, in fact you could now locate your PC etc remotely with the IO box, and only have the screens and control surface on your desk)

Yeah, when did this forum get so negative, I am all for objective debate, but its like this Control Surface had been released by Reaper/Apple or something :)
trock8500
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 575
RE: Sonar / Roland Hardware BUT!!! 2008/10/03 20:07:04 (permalink)
My M24 has 24 motorized faders and FULL control over sonar's eq, and plugins as well as much much more

if you look at the picture the knobs at the top right of the board control the eq.

www.mixedlogic.com

www.timmallick.com
gordonrussell76
RE: Sonar / Roland Hardware BUT!!! 2008/10/03 20:20:13 (permalink)
No Problems Mike and I just looked it up the MOTU actually has 20 inputs.

ANother option is the http://www.sonicstate.com/news/shownews.cfm?newsid=5870 with 18 inputs;

Or this, which is rather nifty seeing as its also an Analogue mixer http://www.platinum-records.com/alesis-multimix-16-channel-soundcard-audio-interface-USB-2-mixer-prod7938.htm

So there is stuff out there.

Couple of other thoughts

1) Sonar know Microsoft inside out, and how audio works in conjunction with the OS, and Sonar, who better to write drivers to link the 2 up.

2) Another firewire USB thing. Firewire does not always come as standard on Desktops or laptops, and often if it does the OEM implementation is usually poor, so most people buy a dedicated PCI/PCMCIA firewire card, which allows you to isolate the IRQ's both in the bios and the ACPI layer. This automatically gives hte data stream more CPU share as its on a PCI bus, and also cuts conflicts that historically cause droop outs. I wander how many people have botehred to get a dedicated USB PCI card to do the same. So oftern I don't think we are judging like for like. I would love to see some benchmaark testing of a Motu 828 mk2 USB unit using all inputs, and see what happens on the same PC when using hte motherboard USb vs a dedicated PCI mounted USB card. I think the results will be illuminating.

I will state here before the early adopters come on a whinge. IF you plan on using hte Sonar AUdio I/O Unit do so on a dedicated USB PCI card, then if you have issues, complain, also don't plug in a mic and MIDI keyboard and 5 other peripherals into the PCI and expect there not to be dropouts and conflicts.

G
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 9
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1