Sonar X1 vs Pro tools 10 part 1

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 13
Author
Middleman
Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4397
Re:Sonar X1 vs Pro tools 10 part 1 2012/07/06 18:39:11 (permalink)
There it is then. Finally we have verification of the best DAW.
post edited by Middleman - 2012/07/07 12:25:05

Gear: A bunch of stuff.
Freddie H
Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3617
Re:Sonar X1 vs Pro tools 10 part 1 2012/07/07 04:41:55 (permalink)
Middleman

Freddie H

That is why Pro Tools doesn’t work in any real professional environment except for tracking and recording.

If you plan to work with film, 5.1, 7.1 THX-surround doesn’t work either in Pro Tools or Pro Tools HD.

Except that greater than 90% of the commercial music we have listened to in the last 10 years has been tracked and mixed in ProTools.

Regarding film, that is disappointing I am sure that affects a lot of members here.

What makes you think so?

-Highly developed spirits often encounter resistance from mediocre minds. -It really matters!
aleef
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 431
Re:Sonar X1 vs Pro tools 10 part 1 2012/07/07 08:22:06 (permalink)

What makes you think so?

no direspect Freddie..we are all aware of ProTools limitations, and i applaud your crusade and over-enthusiest veiw to push the now! even in its under-developed infancy. your stance and attitude gives me the impression that, we here in the States "are living under rocks" and you zealously question why??  we use what we use.. if someone is actually working professionally(getting a check) as far as audio). whether it be music production, film/video, radio and freelancing..90-95% is ProTools. or will end up there..eventually. Snap out of it man!!! 

Intel i7 3820 3.6 GHz
ASUS Sabertooth X79 16Gb   
SonarX2PE ProTools 11 
RME HDSP9632
DonM
Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4129
Re:Sonar X1 vs Pro tools 10 part 1 2012/07/07 09:14:48 (permalink)
aleef

all DAWs do not sound the same!! and if they do, than why not go as far to say that all compression and eq plugins sound the same.

Aleef:

Several years ago there was a very well done thread that demonstrated that all non-linear EQ plugs were identical.  Don't flame me about it's method or results - but they were well documented and resulted in putting to rest a lot of speculation on the subject.

Regarding the unique sound of each DAW, I use Pro-Tools about 60% of the time now, with the rest of my time split between Sonar and Samplitude.  I actually don't consider any aspect of the 'uniqueness' in the sound of the products since I have a sound design in mind when I start a project.  For example I just finished two recordings with Piano and Strings.  PT was my prime DAW for that - but I could have achieved the exact same results in Sonar since I knew exactly what I was after in the Sound Design.  I do share the Waves SSL plugs between the two products and that can be a base line for the sound design, but I don't consider that the uniqueness of each DAW (if it exists at all) is of any concern to me.

It is very easy to measure, and back in the mid 2000's Lynn Fuston over at 3db did his famous DAW shootout with this exact goal in mind.  

-D

Freddie H
Re:Sonar X1 vs Pro tools 10 part 1 2012/07/07 09:35:19 (permalink)
aleef

What makes you think so?

no direspect Freddie..we are all aware of ProTools limitations, and i applaud your crusade and over-enthusiest veiw to push the now! even in its under-developed infancy. your stance and attitude gives me the impression that, we here in the States "are living under rocks" and you zealously question why??  we use what we use.. if someone is actually working professionally(getting a check) as far as audio). whether it be music production, film/video, radio and freelancing..90-95% is ProTools. or will end up there..eventually. Snap out of it man!!! 

Cool my friend but that is not true!

At least not after my experience. I'm a professional user and many that i know of, TOP 1-30 Billboard producers, Artist, Mixing engineers, Film Maker, Soundtracks, Post Production, TV Shows are not using Pro Tools  at all. This is myth going around that everyone use Pro Tools. Many haven't used Pro Tools the last 10 years. Hans Zimmer use Nuendo / Cubase.
Majority use Logic Pro, Cubase, Nuendo or something else like Samplitude, Studio One like Teddy Riley.
http://studioone.presonus.com/testimonial/teddy-riley/

Studio ONE Artist
http://studioone.presonus.com/artists/

Cubase Artist
http://www.steinberg.net/en/artists/steinbergartists.html

Hans Zimmer

http://www.steinberg.net/en/artists/community_stories/hans_zimmer.html

Some use SONAR as me too. It's only handfull few that I know of colleges and friends that still use Pro Tools HD.
In Europe almost every professional producer or Studio use LOGIC or Cubase. SONAR is minority over here.

That's the truth still I don't care what everyone else use. I use SONAR X1 I'm very pleased that I do. I used to use for many years Logic and Cubase too before I crossgrade to SONAR 8. 
post edited by Freddie H - 2012/07/07 09:54:30

-Highly developed spirits often encounter resistance from mediocre minds. -It really matters!
Jimbo 88
Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1828
Re:Sonar X1 vs Pro tools 10 part 1 2012/07/07 09:50:28 (permalink)
Freddie H

aleef

What makes you think so?

No its not true!

I'm a professional user and many that i know of, TOP 20 Billboard producers, Artist, Mixing engineers, Film Maker, Soundtracks, Post Production, TV Shows are not using Pro Tools  at all. This is myth going around that everyone use Pro Tools. Many haven't used Pro Tools the last 10 years. Hans Zimmer use Nuendo / Cubase.
Majority use Logic Pro, Cubase, Nuendo or something else like Samplitude, Studio One. Some use SONAR as me too. It's only handfull few that I know of colleges and friends that still use Pro Tools HD.
In Europe almost every professional producer or Studio use LOGIC or Cubase. SONAR is minority over here.

That's the truth still I don't care what everyone else use. I use SONAR X1 I'm very pleased that I do. I used to use for many years Logic and Cubase too before I crossgrade to SONAR X1. 

Freddie, man I love your passion,  but you are not accurate here.    Yes Guys like Hans Zimmer use there own DAW (Nuendo / Cubase),  but then they send it out to the dub stage and it gets mixed in Protools.   If you work as a mixer in Film/TV/Commercials 90%+ is mixed in Ptools and you'd better be a Protools expert.

You and I are in a different world.  We create music.  In our world it is different and you are correct, not many create music with Protools.

I'm with you 100%,  I don't care what other people use, I use SONAR.  I hope every other composer uses Protools,  let them suffer with that.    
Freddie H
Re:Sonar X1 vs Pro tools 10 part 1 2012/07/07 09:59:19 (permalink)
Jimbo 88

Freddie H

aleef

What makes you think so?

No its not true!

I'm a professional user and many that i know of, TOP 20 Billboard producers, Artist, Mixing engineers, Film Maker, Soundtracks, Post Production, TV Shows are not using Pro Tools  at all. This is myth going around that everyone use Pro Tools. Many haven't used Pro Tools the last 10 years. Hans Zimmer use Nuendo / Cubase.
Majority use Logic Pro, Cubase, Nuendo or something else like Samplitude, Studio One. Some use SONAR as me too. It's only handfull few that I know of colleges and friends that still use Pro Tools HD.

That's the truth still I don't care what everyone else use. I use SONAR X1 I'm very pleased that I do. I used to use for many years Logic and Cubase too before I crossgrade to SONAR X1. 

Freddie, man I love your passion,  but you are not accurate here.    Yes Guys like Hans Zimmer use there own DAW (Nuendo / Cubase),  but then they send it out to the dub stage and it gets mixed in Protools.   If you work as a mixer in Film/TV/Commercials 90%+ is mixed in Ptools and you'd better be a Protools expert.

You and I are in a different world.  We create music.  In our world it is different and you are correct, not many create music with Protools.

I'm with you 100%,  I don't care what other people use, I use SONAR.  I hope every other composer uses Protools,  let them suffer with that.    
I hear you and I understand what you saing....agree but still many mix themself too.
I know professional mixing engineers too and many that I know of have dropped Pro Tools HD and use Samplitude-Sequoia today instead.

"If you work as a mixer in Film/TV/Commercials 90%+ is mixed in Ptools and you'd better be a Protools expert. "

More myth; By the way TV and film 5.1 7.1 THD surround doesn't work at all in Pro Tools so you better know something else then Pro Tools if you going up for those tasks...  Hans Zimmer doesn't use Pro Tools at all. He use Nuendo tracking and mixing ready for film.. 5.1 
post edited by Freddie H - 2012/07/07 14:40:05

wormser
Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 984
Re:Sonar X1 vs Pro tools 10 part 1 2012/07/07 10:21:45 (permalink)
Tough room :) Regarding differences in sound between DAW software, I feel one important factor seems to be left out and that is the measured part. IOW people can and do hear differences in DAW programs, HOWEVER, can these differences be quantified and measured? Slight gain differences, panning laws or other factors? Personally, I'm of the mindset that if you can't measure it and see a difference, chances are good there is no difference. In cases where people hear a difference, have accurate measurements been taken to confirm the differences? As for Sonar vs PT, I think the current announcements from Avid regarding re-structuring say it all. Avid is in trouble because it rested on it's reputation for too long. Right now it can be argued that in terms of features and performance, just about every DAW on the market is superior to PT. Where PT shines is in installed base, a very logical workflow for people used to actually recording instruments (like in the tape days) and industry support. Other than that, I see PT as a step down from Sonar, Cubase etc. That's just me though.

Windows 8 x64
Intel i7 950 3.06ghz 6 GB DDR3 1333(1066) OCZ memory
Gigabyte X58A-UD3R v.2.0
Delta 66.
Seagate 1.0tb drives x4 OS, Audio, VST, Backup Stuff. 
Mackie MCU Pro Latest.
Faderport.
Sonar X2, PreSonus 2.x, Reaper.

Middleman
Re:Sonar X1 vs Pro tools 10 part 1 2012/07/07 12:54:13 (permalink)
Freddie H

What makes you think so?
There are a variety of ways I could respond but I'll make this easy and educational.

http://www.pensadosplace.tv/

There are 75 interviews with the top mixers in the industry at the link above. One or two use something other than Protools. Approximately 50 of these 75 are responsible for mixing most of the hits of the last 10 years. The rest have had their day but are not as prolific. Protools was well entrenched in commercial studios for 10 years before some of the other software manufacturers began to be competitive. None of these mixers use Sonar of any version.

Now, what is not apparent from the data above is how many artists use PT to create tracks. I think the meter would point away from PT in the last 5 years and towards Sonar and other DAWs. The midi capabilities alone and the x64 base push PT to the background for writers and other artists. Also using VST bridge software is a little bumpy on the PT side as well.

I think you have to think of DAWs as tools for specific functions but all that said, Protools still has the largest commercial studio base in the industry.

djwayne
Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2021
Re:Sonar X1 vs Pro tools 10 part 1 2012/07/07 13:18:15 (permalink)
In case you haven't noticed this is a Sonar Forum. Take your Pro Tools Spam and shove it.
Middleman
Re:Sonar X1 vs Pro tools 10 part 1 2012/07/07 13:35:21 (permalink)
What you perceive as Spam is an open and honest discussion of the attributes of DAWs. Differing opinions are celebrated here except maybe for residents of North East Ohio. Also, if you are keeping up at this point, I use X1 on a regular bases along with Protools.

djwayne
Re:Sonar X1 vs Pro tools 10 part 1 2012/07/07 13:39:44 (permalink)
It's SPAM, can you understand what that is ??

This is like going to a Ford forum and talking about Chevy's.....

I'll bet you're the kind of guy that goes to McDonald's and demands a Whopper !!!!

I don't wanna hear your Pro Tools SPAM !!!!!!!
Middleman
Re:Sonar X1 vs Pro tools 10 part 1 2012/07/07 13:42:38 (permalink)
It's not spam when the title of the thread begs the question of a comparison "Sonar X1 vs Pro tools 10 part 1"

It sounds like the OP wants to understand the differences. If you can't handle the heat, get out of the kitchen.

djwayne
Re:Sonar X1 vs Pro tools 10 part 1 2012/07/07 13:50:01 (permalink)
It's spam when you start telling every one how great it is....I feel like it's a conversation between Pro Tools salesmen on a Sonar forum trying to huslte up and steal clients for Pro Tools. Take your Pro Tools and shove it !!

East West doesn't allow this kind of baloney on their forums, and that makes sense.
g_randybrown
Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3522
Re:Sonar X1 vs Pro tools 10 part 1 2012/07/07 14:07:13 (permalink)
Dang Wayne, are you drunk or something man?

G. Randy Brown 
Windows 10, 64 bit, Platinum
Intel Core i7-3770S
Asus P8Z77-V LK mobo   
4X8GB Corsair XMS3 memory 
500 GB Crucial BX100 SSD (OS)
two WD Black 1 TB HDD
SAPPHIRE DUAL-X 100314-4L Radeon HD 6970 2GB 256-Bit GDDR5 
Presonus AudioBox 22VSL
youtube.com/crystalclearnm
djwayne
Re:Sonar X1 vs Pro tools 10 part 1 2012/07/07 14:11:53 (permalink)
Nope, just sick of hearing about how Pro Tools is the industry standard and how you're an azz if you don't have it.  That's pure sales propaganda and I ain't buying it.

I'm getting fabulous recordings with Sonar and don't need Pro Tools.
g_randybrown
Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3522
Re:Sonar X1 vs Pro tools 10 part 1 2012/07/07 14:15:41 (permalink)
I'm getting fabulous recordings with Sonar and don't need Pro Tools.

That's great my friend, but I don't think anyone is trying to convert anyone from Sonar to PT here....especially Middleman...if you knew him better you'd know that.

G. Randy Brown 
Windows 10, 64 bit, Platinum
Intel Core i7-3770S
Asus P8Z77-V LK mobo   
4X8GB Corsair XMS3 memory 
500 GB Crucial BX100 SSD (OS)
two WD Black 1 TB HDD
SAPPHIRE DUAL-X 100314-4L Radeon HD 6970 2GB 256-Bit GDDR5 
Presonus AudioBox 22VSL
youtube.com/crystalclearnm
Beepster
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 18001
Re:Sonar X1 vs Pro tools 10 part 1 2012/07/07 14:15:42 (permalink)
So much rage...
wormser
Re:Sonar X1 vs Pro tools 10 part 1 2012/07/07 14:18:48 (permalink)
  Exactly. It's a discussion of opinions. Nothing wrong with that. Let's keep it civil. Just my 2 cents.

Windows 8 x64
Gigabyte X58A-UD3R v.2.0
Delta 66.
Mackie MCU Pro Latest.
Faderport.

djwayne
Re:Sonar X1 vs Pro tools 10 part 1 2012/07/07 14:20:20 (permalink)
Well how would you feel if you just bought a new Chevy and your neighbor starts telling you how wonderful his new Toyota is ?? It's the same thing, I just spent a lot of money on Cakewalk's Sonar, and don't want to hear about Pro Tools. I tried out Pro Tools and it kept crashing on me. I think it sucks. But I have to listen to this crap about it being the industry standard. I DON"T WANT TO HEAR IT !!!!!
Beepster
Re:Sonar X1 vs Pro tools 10 part 1 2012/07/07 14:23:21 (permalink)
Wayne, man. If it upsets you that much just don't read the PT threads. You're gonna give yourself a coronary. I've found some if this to be quite interesting and I'm glad it's here.
Freddie H
Re:Sonar X1 vs Pro tools 10 part 1 2012/07/07 14:24:15 (permalink)
djwayne

Nope, just sick of hearing about how Pro Tools is the industry standard and how you're an azz if you don't have it. 

+1 Agree

especially when it is not! It used to be the "industry standard" but not anymore. Its call progress!

djwayne
Re:Sonar X1 vs Pro tools 10 part 1 2012/07/07 14:27:15 (permalink)
Beepster

Wayne, man. If it upsets you that much just don't read the PT threads. You're gonna give yourself a coronary. I've found some if this to be quite interesting and I'm glad it's here.

Conversations like this should be on a nuetral forum such as Gearslutz....NOT a Sonar forum !!!!!

Just the fact that it's here is suspicious.
Freddie H
Re:Sonar X1 vs Pro tools 10 part 1 2012/07/07 14:32:57 (permalink)
Middleman

Freddie H

What makes you think so?
There are a variety of ways I could respond but I'll make this easy and educational.

http://www.pensadosplace.tv/

There are 75 interviews with the top mixers in the industry at the link above. One or two use something other than Protools. Approximately 50 of these 75 are responsible for mixing most of the hits of the last 10 years. The rest have had their day but are not as prolific. Protools was well entrenched in commercial studios for 10 years before some of the other software manufacturers began to be competitive. None of these mixers use Sonar of any version.

Now, what is not apparent from the data above is how many artists use PT to create tracks. I think the meter would point away from PT in the last 5 years and towards Sonar and other DAWs. The midi capabilities alone and the x64 base push PT to the background for writers and other artists. Also using VST bridge software is a little bumpy on the PT side as well.

I think you have to think of DAWs as tools for specific functions but all that said, Protools still has the largest commercial studio base in the industry.

I know all about Pensado. He is a nice and friendly guy! Then you know that he say "exactly" like me that Pro Tools isn't the best program DAW out there on the market. Its because that's the program he first learned back in the days and now he has not the strange to learn an new program again. That story goes for 90% of all those 50 other people. They don't use it because its great DAW its because that is the only DAW program they know and master.

That's a huge difference!

Beepster
Re:Sonar X1 vs Pro tools 10 part 1 2012/07/07 14:33:32 (permalink)
It's been a lively and educational discussion. There is nothing wrong with making comparisons. The OP wasn't ragging on Sonar (like some others seem to do). You can't just tell everybody to shut up because you have a differing view on things. Besides, I don't have a gearslutz account. I have a Cake forum account.
djwayne
Re:Sonar X1 vs Pro tools 10 part 1 2012/07/07 14:43:29 (permalink)
If you want to fall for sleazy sales techniques go right ahead. I know that every Pro Tools post on a Sonar forum is like a little advertisement promoting Pro Tools to a specific group of computer users/potential buyers.  I would prefer the ads stop. You know what they say, any publicity is good publicity. They just keep talking it up, and you're falling for it.

All right under the noses of Cakewalk.
Beepster
Re:Sonar X1 vs Pro tools 10 part 1 2012/07/07 14:48:07 (permalink)
Hahaha... I think most of the folks here are smart enough to buy want they want. oh... oh wait... I seem to have this... uncontrollable urge to purchase PT now... I... OH GOD NO!!! *reaches for credit card* SOMEBODY HELP ME!!!!
djwayne
Re:Sonar X1 vs Pro tools 10 part 1 2012/07/07 14:53:02 (permalink)
I've had sleazy sales training,  I know sleaze when I see it. The sheep are LED to slaughter !!
wormser
Re:Sonar X1 vs Pro tools 10 part 1 2012/07/07 14:54:18 (permalink)
  I'm secure in my choice of car or DAW software for that matter to have a spirited discussion of why *I* feel *MY* Chevy is better for *ME than my neighbor's Toyota. And I'm sure he feels the same about his car and him. It's not like this thread is a "Sonar sucks and PT rules" kind of thread. Some interesting comparisons have come out IMHO.

Windows 8 x64
Gigabyte X58A-UD3R v.2.0
Delta 66.
Mackie MCU Pro Latest.
Faderport.

Beepster
Re:Sonar X1 vs Pro tools 10 part 1 2012/07/07 14:57:11 (permalink)
Meh, you aren't gonna buy it. I ain't gonna buy it. I doubt anyone in this thread will buy it (based on this thread alone). No big whoop. It's good to see what the power users have to say on the topic and their personal experiences with both. Don't let it bother you.
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 13
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1