Sonar X1 vs Pro tools 10 part 1

Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 13
Author
Bluexrysalis
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 21
2012/06/23 02:30:40 (permalink)

Sonar X1 vs Pro tools 10 part 1

Hi Folks Just downloaded PT10 free trial and used it for a month side by side with Sonar X1d. I've been a cakewalk user since cakewalk ver 7, years ago, used all the versions of sonar, or should I say battled with them. I wanted to tell people about what I found when comparing the two DAWS. I've compared the two systems on different points below and you'll get an idea of the differences. This is my own personal take on the two DAWS so no hate mail please, if you read this and have differing opinions, then I'd love to hear them. Installation Sonar X1 wins hands down here. This has to be one of the major areas where sonar beats the hell out of PT. Installing PT10 was like a visit to the dentist; painful to say the least. It took 30 minutes to install all the ilok software and updates to the software. But once done it all worked flawlessly on my PC. Sonar on the other hand is totally simple to install, just enter the serial and reg codes and you're away laughing. part 2 later.

361 Replies Related Threads

Bluexrysalis
    Re:Sonar X1 vs Pro tools 10 part 2 2012/06/23 02:41:04 (permalink)
    Gui look and layout Ok here PT 10 is head and shoulders above Sonar X1. X1 looks klonky and amateurish compared to PT. It's the font size and graphics icon size in Sonar which makes it look so bad. PT just looks heaps better and everything seems to be sized perfectly for most HD monitors. As for the layout, even after 12 years of using cakewalk products I find the layout muddled and things which should be grouped together aren't. In PT, once you understand their ratioal behind the interface, it becomes very logical, and you don't have to spend hours looking for things, because even if you don't quite know how to do something, you can pretty much guess where to find it. So there's a method and logic to protools layout, which to me isn't all that aparent in Sonar
    Bluexrysalis
    Re:Sonar X1 vs Pro tools 10 part 3 2012/06/23 02:43:37 (permalink)
    Software Setup: Here it's like comparing apples to oranges. The two daws are set up differently from the start. Sonar is easier to set up because most things you'll need to record a song with atre there right in front of you. Pro tools needs a little bit more work, like naming buses and various other quirks. All in all, I would say PT is far more versatile in terms of setting up your daw. But Sonar is easier and quicker. But with PT once it's set up, it's actually faster and easier to use, well for me it was.
    Bluexrysalis
    Re:Sonar X1 vs Pro tools 10 part 4 2012/06/23 02:45:05 (permalink)
    Learning Curve: Ok this is where Sonar wins big-time. It's very easy to record a track with sonar and do a quick mix and make a song. PT has quite a steep learning curve to it. You really need to go through the tutorials online (youtube is what I used) and basically went step by step through the manuals and nailed each section so I could understand what it's doing. It took me the full month of playing with PT to be able to really use all of it's features. But in saying that, it's a much deeper program than Sonar, basically you can do just about anything you want in PT, but, it takes time and perseverence to learn how. So if you want it quick and easy, go for sonar, PT will be very frustrating at first until you get over the learning curve, then it gets easy.
    Bluexrysalis
    Re:Sonar X1 vs Pro tools 10 part 5 2012/06/23 02:46:10 (permalink)
    Stability: This means how many crashed I had with both. Ok PT10 first, it never crashed in all the time I used it over the whole month. It never even crackled or buzzed or did anything other than what it was meant to do. I recorded track counts of about 30 tracks full of plugins, on my Q6600 quad pentium system. This is about a normal "song" for most musicians. It didn't falter once. Sadly I can't say the same for Sonar X1d, but in saying that, most of the problems which caused crashes were associated with 3rd party plugins. I think this is generally where most problems occur. In defense of Sonar, it is made to be as compatible with a wide range of 3rd party plugins, and you are always going to get something which doesn't work properly. PT has the advantage that the plugins tend to be more tightly controlled because they are RTAS (at the moment, for the native version) which means they only have to work with PT. So I guess this makes PT less likely to crash because of plugin problems. Basically: both DAWS were totally stable without plugins, but once plugins were added to tracks Sonar misbehaved sometimes whereas PT10 remained rock stable.
    Bluexrysalis
    Re:Sonar X1 vs Pro tools 10 part 6 2012/06/23 02:47:55 (permalink)
    Compatibility with Audio interfaces: Her I can only give a very narrow biased view, I have an RME HDSP9632 card, with external AD/DA converters running through the AES ports. This card uses Asio drivers and RME has very low latency asio drivers. With Sonar I can go down to 64 samples in 96khz mode without too many problems. But I can do the same in PT10. PT10 worked flawlessly with the RME card as did Sonar. There were no problems with omitoring, and PT10 has zero latency monitoring so you can hear what you are recording with no discernable delay. I'm not sure if this is the case with all makes of audio card, but certainly with my RME card both DAWs worked flawlessly with respect to driver stability, latency and monitoring as well as recording and playback.
    Linear Phase
    Max Output Level: -53 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2201
    Re:Sonar X1 vs Pro tools 10 part 1 2012/06/23 02:50:03 (permalink)

too many lasers...

Sonar = audio editing ninja of a music software!

moffdnb
    Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1332
    Re:Sonar X1 vs Pro tools 10 part 1 2012/06/23 05:11:03 (permalink)
    no fast bounce in PT

no Smart tools

but i agree its the better graphics and COLOURS!

...since doing the same month testing as u did, i found no motivation to switch.  Sonar is too quick.
    Mystic38
    Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1622
    Re:Sonar X1 vs Pro tools 10 part 1 2012/06/23 08:08:07 (permalink)
    I call complete and total troll post thread..

"used Sonar since v7".. and with a post count of 7 (and 6 are in this thread)... so that means in 3 years he made one post in this forum?.. if so then i guess Sonar was totally flawless...

HPE-580T with i7-950, 8G, 1.5T, ATI6850, Win7/64, Motu 828 III Hybrid, Motu Midi Express, Sonar Platinum, Komplete 9, Ableton Live 9 & Push 2, Melodyne Editor and other stuff, KRK VXT8 Monitors
    Virus Ti2 Polar, Fantom G6, Yamaha S70XS, Novation Nova, Novation Nova II, Korg MS2000, Waldorf Micro Q, NI Maschine Studio, TC-VoiceLive Rack, 2012 Gibson Les Paul Standard, 2001 Gibson Les Paul DC, 1999 Fender Am Hardtail Strat, Fender Blues Jr, Orange TH30/PPC212, Tak EF360GF, one mic, no talent.
    keneds
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 725
    Re:Sonar X1 vs Pro tools 10 part 1 2012/06/23 08:27:07 (permalink)
    I agree......but we could use more color options.
    Mystic38

I call complete and total troll post thread..

"used Sonar since v7".. and with a post count of 7 (and 6 are in this thread)... so that means in 3 years he made one post in this forum?.. if so then i guess Sonar was totally flawless...

SONAR Platinum  
    Dell XPS17 /  External 23" touch screen & 22" HP displays/Windows 10 64bit i5 processor/  
    8Gb ram/500GB (7200rpm SATA HD)/Roland VS-700 set/KRK rockit 6/KRK 10" sub and a bunch of cables
    EZdrummer2 / EZmix2

Dave Modisette
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11050
    Re:Sonar X1 vs Pro tools 10 part 1 2012/06/23 08:29:59 (permalink)
    I did a quick run of PT10 myself.  I decided that it wasn't the time to switch.  Maybe later if needs required it.

I do agree that the GUI makes you feel like you are in a professional environment with no accommodation for beginners or those new to the program.  A lot of the work flow seemed to force you through extra steps for standardization purposes (which could be a good thing for someone bouncing from studio to studio.)  IOW, I could have my SONAR X1 set up in such a way that it wouldn't be familiar to another user (plug-in menus and shortcuts). 

I/O is set up better in P10 in that there are mono inputs as well as stereo inputs.  Keeps things tidy, IMHO.

I like the way SONAR does busses better - probably because I'm so used to it.

Dave Modisette ... rocks a Purrrfect Audio Studio Pro rig.

http://www.gatortraks.com 
    My music.
    ... And of course, the Facebook page. 
    FastBikerBoy
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 11326
    Re:Sonar X1 vs Pro tools 10 part 1 2012/06/23 08:57:32 (permalink)
    Learning Curve: Ok this is where Sonar wins big-time.

I'm no fan of PT, in fact I'm a confirmed X1 Fanboi, but I'm not sure how you could be objective about this if you're a long term Sonar user, of course the learning curve will be less steep.
    John
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 30467
    Re:Sonar X1 vs Pro tools 10 part 1 2012/06/23 09:29:40 (permalink)
    I/O is set up better in P10 in that there are mono inputs as well as stereo inputs.  Keeps things tidy, IMHO.

X1 has mono inputs. It does on my system at least. I have seen this before in posts but it seems that some disregard the way X1 displays the inputs.

Best
    John
    Mully
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1545
    Re:Sonar X1 vs Pro tools 10 part 1 2012/06/23 10:21:47 (permalink)
    Interesting read... are you folks running the PT demo on the same DAW as your Sonar install?

ASUS H270, i7-7700, JLM BA & 1290, LA2A Opto4, loads of guff.
    CJaysMusic
    • Total Posts : 30423
    Re:Sonar X1 vs Pro tools 10 part 1 2012/06/23 10:55:19 (permalink)
    I don't think he a troll. I read them as honest, but wrong statements. Sonar has Mono inputs buddy!!!
    7 years and you never figured that out! WOW!!!

I think this person just needs to know what hes talking about and learn the actual program BEFORE giving opinions and false facts!
    We all have Butt-Holes, so why not fart out of them every now and themCj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    daveny5
    • Total Posts : 16934
    Re:Sonar X1 vs Pro tools 10 part 2 2012/06/23 11:18:19 (permalink)

Gui look and layout Ok here PT 10 is head and shoulders above Sonar X1. X1 looks klonky and amateurish compared to PT. It's the font size and graphics icon size in Sonar which makes it look so bad. PT just looks heaps better and everything seems to be sized perfectly for most HD monitors.

EDIT: Toned it down a bit. 

My biggest complaint is that the font sizes are too big and not resizeable and you can't squeeze enough tracks onto the console view. The ProTools console is much more flexible. 

I also downloaded a demo of Ableton Live this week and installed it. I'm not going to buy the product, but I must give them kudos for how they walk you through the setup of your hardware in the product. If Cakewalk did that with Sonar, they would have a lot more satisfied customers. We get more questions on this forum from frustrated people having trouble setting up their soundcards and drivers.
    post edited by daveny5 - 2012/06/23 12:48:09

Dave
    Computer: Intel i7, ASROCK H170M, 16GB/5TB+, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Sonar Platinum, TASCAM US-16x08, Cakewalk UM-3G MIDI I/F
    Instruments: SL-880 Keyboard controller, Korg 05R/W, Korg N1R, KORG Wavestation EX
    Axes: Fender Stratocaster, Line6 Variax 300, Ovation Acoustic, Takamine Nylon Acoustic, Behringer GX212 amp, Shure SM-58 mic, Rode NT1 condenser mic.
    Outboard: Mackie 1402-VLZ mixer, TC Helicon VoiceLive 2, Digitech Vocalist WS EX, PODXTLive, various stompboxes and stuff. 
    Controllers: Korg nanoKONTROL, Wacom Bamboo Touchpad
    djwayne
    Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2021
    Re:Sonar X1 vs Pro tools 10 part 2 2012/06/23 11:31:52 (permalink)
    I did my comparison Pro Tools 9LE vrs Sonar X1 Essentials....PT looked really nice and simple but when I loaded up a standard music file, it played great for about a minute and they I got HHHHHAAASSSHHH which totally damn near blew out my speakers. Then it would crash....Sonar was a bit tricky to learn, but rock solid. Since then I have upgraded to Platinum Expanded and haven't looked back.
    Linear Phase
    Max Output Level: -53 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2201
    Re:Sonar X1 vs Pro tools 10 part 2 2012/06/23 11:46:16 (permalink)

At some point, the limit is not the software, or what it does.  Its our skill, how we practice, and our passion, and do it like that.  I really like the look of X1.  I also believe that Sonar has more actual features than PT.  Also think that the VST's, either aftermarket, or the ones on the PRO Channel are on par with anything in PT.

Guys..  Cher's Believe, was the first track to use Autotune..  Back then one could argue, "the plugin sounded like crap."  But it didn't.  It sounded great.  Why?  Skill level, of the producers

too many lasers...

Sonar = audio editing ninja of a music software!

daveny5
    • Total Posts : 16934
    Re:Sonar X1 vs Pro tools 10 part 2 2012/06/23 11:48:12 (permalink)
    Cher's Believe, was the first track to use Autotune..

IMHO, that was the beginning of the end of good music. 

Dave
    Computer: Intel i7, ASROCK H170M, 16GB/5TB+, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Sonar Platinum, TASCAM US-16x08, Cakewalk UM-3G MIDI I/F
    Instruments: SL-880 Keyboard controller, Korg 05R/W, Korg N1R, KORG Wavestation EX
    Axes: Fender Stratocaster, Line6 Variax 300, Ovation Acoustic, Takamine Nylon Acoustic, Behringer GX212 amp, Shure SM-58 mic, Rode NT1 condenser mic.
    Outboard: Mackie 1402-VLZ mixer, TC Helicon VoiceLive 2, Digitech Vocalist WS EX, PODXTLive, various stompboxes and stuff. 
    Controllers: Korg nanoKONTROL, Wacom Bamboo Touchpad
    Dave Modisette
    Re:Sonar X1 vs Pro tools 10 part 1 2012/06/23 12:26:39 (permalink)
    CJaysMusic

I don't think he a troll. I read them as honest, but wrong statements. Sonar has Mono inputs buddy!!!
    7 years and you never figured that out! WOW!!!

I think this person just needs to know what hes talking about and learn the actual program BEFORE giving opinions and false facts!
    We all have Butt-Holes, so why not fart out of them every now and themCj

Yes, SONAR has mono inputs but they are displayed as the right or left side of a stereo input.  PT10 gives you the ability to display them that way as well but you can also display it as two individual mono inputs.  Reaper does the same thing.  I don't know what the hang up is with the implementation of what appears to be a fairly straight forward feature.

Right now, I'm on the fence.  I'm hoping that X2 will be on the way at the end of summer but who knows what may be changed or what other layer of new unwanted(personal opinion) softsynth with be applied.

Since this thread was posted, I went back to have a look at PT10.  If not for the fact that I have a current project working in SONAR X1, I might have pulled the trigger on it this morning.

My music.
    CJaysMusic
    • Total Posts : 30423
    Re:Sonar X1 vs Pro tools 10 part 1 2012/06/23 13:40:51 (permalink)
    Displaying isn't the point. He said sonar cannot record in Mono. What does that have to do with displaying. To each their own.

Sonar displays it at left, right and stereo. The left and right are mono inputs, the stereo input is stereo.

Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    jsg
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1079
    Re:Sonar X1 vs Pro tools 10 part 1 2012/06/23 13:44:31 (permalink)
    I glanced through the replies, did anyone mention that PT is only 32 bit, while Sonar has been 64-bit since 2005?  I can tell you that this is a very large distinction, 64-bit allows for much more memory access for samples, plugins, soft synths, etc.   It is astonishing that PT is considered the "pro" DAW and is still only 32-bit!  That said, I hate X1, it looks like a toy, it has many new bugs, the staff view is worse than previous versions and I don't use it or need it.   Sonar 7.0.2 is my DAW of choice for the time being, it is stable, has every feature I need and is 64-bit. 

JG
    www.jerrygerber.com
    JSkeen
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 612
    Re:Sonar X1 vs Pro tools 10 part 1 2012/06/23 14:15:40 (permalink)
    I have used/tried a number of other DAWs. I have had every version of sonar since v6. I keep coming back, I have tried demos, purchased other software, and tried other peoples systems. I keep coming back, sonar even with its quirks has the tools and workflow that works best for me. Personally I like the new gui I really do. Each application has its positives, I think it come down to how each person interacts is to why they favor a particular DAW to another. I love mastering in studio one. I like aspects of all the daws I have tried. But for me sonar works, I get results and its fun. 
    Mystic38
    Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1622
    Re:Sonar X1 vs Pro tools 10 part 1 2012/06/23 14:34:47 (permalink)
    A DAW is not an objective, it is a tool...

While there are full time pro engineers here, for 99% of the folks I simply do not see the reason or justification to through a learning curve for a new DAW...To me personally, a new DAW (or version of DAW) is simply an interim excuse to not record, not play, or blame something or someone else for the crappy music, mix and sound that i produce... such time is better spent on composition, sound design and practice than fighting a new program.

HPE-580T with i7-950, 8G, 1.5T, ATI6850, Win7/64, Motu 828 III Hybrid, Motu Midi Express, Sonar Platinum, Komplete 9, Ableton Live 9 & Push 2, Melodyne Editor and other stuff, KRK VXT8 Monitors
    Virus Ti2 Polar, Fantom G6, Yamaha S70XS, Novation Nova, Novation Nova II, Korg MS2000, Waldorf Micro Q, NI Maschine Studio, TC-VoiceLive Rack, 2012 Gibson Les Paul Standard, 2001 Gibson Les Paul DC, 1999 Fender Am Hardtail Strat, Fender Blues Jr, Orange TH30/PPC212, Tak EF360GF, one mic, no talent.
    george4th
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 105
    Re:Sonar X1 vs Pro tools 10 part 1 2012/06/23 15:57:29 (permalink)
    I just got into PT10 and Logic Pro, Been using Sonar since the pro audio days.  I dont plan on switching, but a lot of Studio partners rather PT, so I pretty much had to buy into it.  I will give it a shot since I have a built in support group with my partners.  I have a feeling Ill be sticking with X1 Producer expanded though. just a useless FYI post.
    G

X1b PE, Sonar 8.5.3 PE 64bit...Amd Phenom II quad core processor 12gb ram,1tb hd & 500g hd, W7 64bit, Lynx AES16, (2) Apogee Rosetta 800's,Focal Twin6be's,M-Audio Midisport 4x4(64 bit driver), Mackie Control Universal Pro ++,Yamaha 01v96, All Rode mic's manufactered to date, alot of Shure mics,Yamaha XS8, Alesis QS8.1, Kurzweil k2000rs, Yamaha Motif es76, Kurzweil pc88, Roland XV-3080, Way too many guitars, a multitude of outboard processors,Yamaha C1 piano, Bach Strad, Yamaha Xeno, Yamaha 731 Flugel
    Dave Modisette
    Re:Sonar X1 vs Pro tools 10 part 1 2012/06/23 17:03:34 (permalink)
    Mully

Interesting read... are you folks running the PT demo on the same DAW as your Sonar install?

I am.  Both programs work well.  I don't have any problems with SONAR, Reaper or Pro Tools 10 on my machine.

My music.
    chuckebaby
    • Total Posts : 13146
    Re:Sonar X1 vs Pro tools 10 part 1 2012/06/23 17:10:49 (permalink)
    i think alot has to do with your computers people,like dave said hes running a little bit of everything without an issue,granted somethings are bugs,but other are how your computer handles digital audio and is it a computer or a work tool.

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
    Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
    Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

wormser
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 984
    Re:Sonar X1 vs Pro tools 10 part 1 2012/06/23 20:04:16 (permalink)
    I tried the PT10 demo as well and I agree that the look is very clean and "professional" compared to X1. I have twin 23 inch monitors running at 1920x1080 X1 is hard on the eyeballs compared to some other DAW's. Like others I run other DAW software as well on my computer, an i7, Gigabyte board etc and have zero problems with any of them other than documented bugs once in a while. For me, PT is a non contender because of the lack of fast bounce as well as worse performance with the RTAS versions of plugins, like Ivory II for example. The VST version is better with lower latency and no disk streaming slowdowns compared to the RTAS version. I'm also suspicious of the plugin compensation. PT is an excellent product, but it's just not for me.

Windows 8 x64
    Intel i7 950 3.06ghz 6 GB DDR3 1333(1066) OCZ memory
    Gigabyte X58A-UD3R v.2.0
    Delta 66.
    Seagate 1.0tb drives x4 OS, Audio, VST, Backup Stuff. 
    Mackie MCU Pro Latest.
    Faderport.
    Sonar X2, PreSonus 2.x, Reaper.

soens
    Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5154
    Re:Sonar X1 vs Pro tools 10 part 1 2012/06/23 20:47:01 (permalink)
    Doesn't the demo require an iLok? $50, really?... Just to try a demo?
    post edited by soens - 2012/06/23 21:54:03
    konradh
    Max Output Level: -42 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3325
    Re:Sonar X1 vs Pro tools 10 part 1 2012/06/23 22:06:36 (permalink)
    I could write and produce a half-dozen albums in the time needed to switch DAWs. Sonar, ProTools, Logic, Studio One, Cubase, and others will all make records. My advice is to pick one and stick with it.
    Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 13
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1