The BIG Orchestral Library Shootout * * *

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 13
Author
bitflipper
01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
  • Total Posts : 26036
Re:The SONAR Orchestral Library Shootout 2010/07/16 12:11:01 (permalink)
Randy brought up the question of using multiple libraries, something I think most of us routinely do. One lib might have great strings but lousy percussion, for instance.

For this particular exercise, I think it would be best if we try to stick to one library per submission. This will make it easier to compare libraries, which is after all the main objective.

However, we do not want to tell anyone how to do this! No rules. You decide how you want to approach it, and if that means using five libraries then go for it. Just bear in mind that your submission will be less valuable as a reference to others if you do so.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
wst3
Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1979
Re:The SONAR Orchestral Library Shootout 2010/07/16 12:40:59 (permalink)
I'll join in - GPO4 and Kirk Hunter Diamond, separate entries and maybe even a combo, which is how I actually use them.

One observation - do we really want to use MP3 format to make the comparison? Wouldn't a lossless compression method provide more info?

-- Bill
Audio Enterprise
KB3KJF
stickman393
Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1528
Re:The SONAR Orchestral Library Shootout 2010/07/16 13:20:26 (permalink)
rbowser

The idea is, as Billy said, to indeed use all the controls which are unique to the library you're using.  DO NOT simply run this MIDI arrangement through the library and accept the results.  MIDI controller data should be used as thoroughly as you want, and the mix itself should be produced equally as thoroughly as you want.

OK - thanks for clarifying, Randy.

bitflipper
Re:The SONAR Orchestral Library Shootout 2010/07/16 13:38:19 (permalink)
...do we really want to use MP3 format to make the comparison?

A 256kb/s or higher MP3 will be virtually indistinguishable from an uncompressed file. If you feel better about it, send us a FLAC file or something. The downside to that is some users may have trouble playing it.

My Stuff
rbowser
Max Output Level: -10 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6518
Re:The SONAR Orchestral Library Shootout 2010/07/16 17:14:44 (permalink)
+1 on the MP3 reply.  256kbps usually sounds fine.  I always do my MP3s at 320.  Let's keep these to MP3s so they're all the same format.  I doubt if anyone here would want to share an MP3 of their work at less than 256kbps, but if I'm wrong, then do make at least a 256kbps MP3 instead of a bitrate any lower than that.

AND--IMPORTANT NOTE:

--If someone happens to announce in advance what soft synth they'll be using for their version of the "Trek" theme, don't let that discourage you if you were wanting to do one with the same library.  We already have some entries made with the same synth, and they sound different because of the different ways each person puts a recording together.

Randy B.

Sonar X3e Studio
Roland A-800 MIDI keyboard controller
Alesis i|O2 interface
Gigabyte Technology-AMD Phenom II @ 3 GHz
8 Gb RAM 6 Core Windows 7 Home Premium x64
with dual monitors
jcschild
Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3409
Re:The SONAR Orchestral Library Shootout 2010/07/16 17:52:35 (permalink)
Bitflipper,
i got to ask
have you used East West? Vienna?

if no one has Vienna let me know i will do the test, i dont think i have EW strings

Scott
ADK
Home of the Kentucky Fried DAW!
bitflipper
Re:The SONAR Orchestral Library Shootout 2010/07/16 18:25:34 (permalink)
Bitflipper, i got to ask have you used East West? Vienna?

Nope, not me. I actually do all my strings on a hardware synth - and yes, I'll be submitting a Star Trek version made that way, too.

I do have the older VSL samples that came bundled with Kontakt 3, and plan to use them in a version of Star Trek. But that's not the same as the "real" VSL - not even close. So by all means, Scott, knock us out with the good stuff!

My Stuff
ba_midi
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14061
Re:The SONAR Orchestral Library Shootout 2010/07/16 18:34:15 (permalink)
bitflipper

Bitflipper, i got to ask have you used East West? Vienna?

Nope, not me. I actually do all my strings on a hardware synth - and yes, I'll be submitting a Star Trek version made that way, too.

I do have the older VSL samples that came bundled with Kontakt 3, and plan to use them in a version of Star Trek. But that's not the same as the "real" VSL - not even close. So by all means, Scott, knock us out with the good stuff!

I don't know if I'll get the time or not, but if I do, I want in on this ;)
I think it's a cool/fun/educational thing to do on the forum and again thank you and Randy for initiating this, even if I don't get the time to contribute.

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

http://www.ba-midi.com/music/files
Music gives me life, so I give life Music.
Thanks for listening - Let's Dance to the rhythm of life! :)
bitflipper
Re:The SONAR Orchestral Library Shootout 2010/07/16 18:43:26 (permalink)
Take your time, Billy. There's no deadline.

My Stuff
rbowser
Re:The SONAR Orchestral Library Shootout 2010/07/16 18:44:58 (permalink)
"...even if I don't get the time to contribute..."

Nah, you gotta do it, Billy.  That's all. 

As per Bit - there's no deadline!

Randy B.

Sonar X3e Studio
Alesis i|O2 interface
with dual monitors
ba_midi
Re:The SONAR Orchestral Library Shootout 2010/07/16 18:54:22 (permalink)
rbowser

"...even if I don't get the time to contribute..."

Nah, you gotta do it, Billy.  That's all. 

As per Bit - there's no deadline!

Randy B.

Dave and Randy, I'll do my best to find time.  No promises, but I want to give it a shot if I can :)
Thanks.

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

ba_midi
Re:The SONAR Orchestral Library Shootout 2010/07/16 18:56:01 (permalink)
bitflipper

Take your time, Billy. There's no deadline.

Heh, you do realize saying there's no deadline is not a good thing to say to a musician ;)  

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

Garry Stubbs
Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2619
Re:The SONAR Orchestral Library Shootout 2010/07/16 20:23:10 (permalink)
Hi Guys,

Well, I have just submitted my version to Randy now via the link provided.

In keeping with the thread I will refrain here from any details of the library, samples or tools / techniques that I used. I did however send those details to you Randy in my covering email with the file attached. Being tired however, I completely forgot to explain in my email what I did with regard to CC data. I will be happy to elucidate if required at a later stage but I dont think I am going to have people queueing up at my door for my production secrets just yet !

Great idea and execution gents, I'm looking forward to hearing the results in due course.

Regards

Garry Kiosk

EDIT: Typos
post edited by The Kiosk Project - 2010/07/16 21:07:41

https://soundcloud.com/garry-kiosk
Sonar Platinum 64-bit: Q6600 8Gb Win7 64-bit: KRK Monitors: ART MPA PRO VLA ii preamp: 3 x 500Gb internal SATA disks: Superior Drummer2: GPO4: Realstrat: Saxlab: Rapture: Dimension Pro: Ozone 4: Edirol SPS-660: PCR-500 MIDI controller: Korg PadKontrol: Fender / Gibson / Yamaha / Ibanez guitars:Guitar Rig 5: Dual 22" Monitors: Mapex Drums, Sabian AAX cymbals: Alesis DM5 Pro Kit: SE Electronics and Shure Mics: Mathmos Lava Lamp (40W)
dr.hash
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 220
Re:The SONAR Orchestral Library Shootout 2010/07/16 20:43:43 (permalink)
Hey do i get a thanks for starting this all off, after all it was me who asked the initial question how to get realistic cello sounds, i know i am a aggressive troll like creature but i do deserve some credit.  Only kidding guys if i get a chance because i have a bit of work to do i will join in too.  Ps don't take my posts too seriously i like to **** stir and i do like to be aggressive because i think that is what the world needs.  Maybe one day someone will come along and change that opinion and maybe i will become like Gandhi or Lennon but at the moment I'm all for aggression.

But i do love you all and i love this program that has allowed me to create some fine music.

Pro Tools Never Sonar Forever
rbowser
Re:The SONAR Orchestral Library Shootout 2010/07/16 20:46:44 (permalink)
Thank you, Gary Kiosk - Email received, document and MP3 safely in the growing folder.  It's super that you squeezed time in for this before you go on holiday.  Have a great time while you're away!.

I'll give it a few more days, then put the page together with all the entries.

"...Heh, you do realize saying there's no deadline is not a good thing to say to a musician..."

hehe--Yeah - But we only said there wasn't a deadline to not frighten away the timid.  The truth is - DEADLINE IS NOW - You vill produce, Now!

--KIDDING - It'll be nice to have a good list of these in the near future, but then it can keep on growing as people are moved to do something with the software they use.

Randy B.

Sonar X3e Studio
Alesis i|O2 interface
with dual monitors
mixmkr
Max Output Level: -43.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3169
Re:The SONAR Orchestral Library Shootout 2010/07/16 22:08:32 (permalink)
I think this is great, but my $.02 why this may not really produce the results wanted.

The composer/arranger/musican is BY FAR the biggest element in how these will sound.  To not be able to change the MIDI files too... velocity, sustain... all that stuff is waaay too important.
As evidenced, the posted MP3 file (and MANY others) by Jsaras illustrates show just that.  It isn't JUST about sound.  It is the ears that know how to manipulate the sounds and tweak the MIDI files until it sounds "best".  Same thing with POP, Rock or whatever music.  People don't have "BETTER" ears (in general) so to speak, but the great producers know how to change things best.

Therefore, just like equipment, ... a talanted person with a lesser "quality" library will ALWAYS produce better results than the "joe blow just learning" on the "best" library. 

Drum software REALLY shows this nowadays.

Oh...and your Tomita example.  The old duo-phonic Arp 2600 patches he used show it isn't really the equipment
too... that's a fantastic example there... even though the 2600 was pretty top notch in many areas....even still.

(btw... I got to learn synthesis on a 2500, they had at Berklee back in the mid 70's.. and I FINALLY ditched my Odyesee a couple years back  :-(  )

some tunes: --->        www.masonharwoodproject.bandcamp.com 
StudioCat i7 4770k 3.5gHz, 16 RAM,  Sonar Platinum, CD Arch 5.2, Steinberg UR-44
videos--->https://www.youtube.com/user/mixmkr

DaveElson
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 350
Re:The SONAR Orchestral Library Shootout 2010/07/16 22:49:37 (permalink)
I'm sure mixmkr is correct, but imo the important thing is that those still new to many aspects of midi and Sonar can learn. As long as the "how" is published for us to do that.

Edit: I know the thread started as the best library but of course things always change here....
post edited by DaveElson - 2010/07/16 22:51:50
ba_midi
Re:The SONAR Orchestral Library Shootout 2010/07/16 22:51:06 (permalink)
dr.hash

Hey do i get a thanks for starting this all off, after all it was me who asked the initial question how to get realistic cello sounds, i know i am a aggressive troll like creature but i do deserve some credit.  Only kidding guys if i get a chance because i have a bit of work to do i will join in too.  Ps don't take my posts too seriously i like to **** stir and i do like to be aggressive because i think that is what the world needs.  Maybe one day someone will come along and change that opinion and maybe i will become like Gandhi or Lennon but at the moment I'm all for aggression.

But i do love you all and i love this program that has allowed me to create some fine music.

Pro Tools Never Sonar Forever
I'm anti-agression, but I'll still thank you.  Thank you :P

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

rbowser
Re:The SONAR Orchestral Library Shootout 2010/07/16 23:24:28 (permalink)
--There are clearly still misunderstandings of what this is all about.

I appreciate your post, mixmkr.  You're so right that the most important ingredient in how these tracks will sound, and how Any tracks sound is the human being(s) responsible for the production.

But like in some earlier posts, you're clearly not reading this thread thoroughly enough to understand that what you say here is Completely Incorrect:

"...To not be able to change the MIDI files too... velocity, sustain... all that stuff is waaay too important..."

One more time, with feeling:  The MIDI file is the beginning.  The absolutely rawest of the data, the notes, the arrangement, that needs to remain essentially the same so that all of the recorded tracks have that starting point in common.

"...But editing the velocity, sustain, "all that stuff" is something that Should be done as just part of the process in making your software of choice sound the best with that file..."

To repeat - Every MIDI controller that your software responds to can be used, every and anything you have to do to the data in the track besides changing the notes is EXPECTED.  Edit the velocity, edit the sustain, do any and everything you want.

I know there's a lot of info to wade through, but quite a few times now, we've tried to make it clear that we are NOT putting limits on what people want to do with editing data and mixing the audio.  They should do whatever they want to showcase their chosen soft synth in its best light.

Your post makes me think of the demos we've all heard of software instruments.  Most often they are produced professionally.  If the companies were totally honest they would say, "Here's what our software can sound like if you also have a million dollar studio to produce your music the way we've done here in our demos."

Once a musician gets around just for a little while, he knows to not take demos as true reflections of what he'll be able to do with a given piece of software in his own studio.

A sterling example of a company that Does Not do that with its demos is Garritan.  The demos are all user produced.  Most are done on a single home computer with nothing more than what the user gets when he buys a Garritan Library.  They are still likely to sound a lot better than what most people can produce with the same tools, because the users who made those demos are very talented people.

So the point about demos is that there is No Such Thing as a "pure demo" of any software instrument you would care to name.  It Always has to do with how talented the person is who put the demo together.

You're right, I repeat, that the human being is the main ingredient.  But the rest of your post is presupposing that a "pure demo" can even exist.  There's no such thing.  Of course we could never arrive at a universally agreed upon opinion about what orchestral library is "best" "second best" etc - This is being put together to help people arrive at their own conclusions.

Like any demos of software, these "Star Trek" renditions will be the results of two ingredients - the software used, and the person who made the recording.

That's why to have multiple soft synths represented will be very interesting - I've already heard the same synth used in some of these "Trek" projects and they sound very different precisely because different people produced the tracks.

"...this may not really produce the results wanted..."

Yes, they will produced exactly what is wanted and expected - As I've tried to explain in this post.

Randy B.

Sonar X3e Studio
Alesis i|O2 interface
with dual monitors
mixmkr
Re:The SONAR Orchestral Library Shootout 2010/07/16 23:30:44 (permalink)
thx Randy, I appreciate the clarification.

not sure I really understood what all you were really trying to say, but attibute that to the typed word!
I'll be very eager to hear these differences, but have to "wimp out" as my schedule would put this excersize down a couple notches.
But..I'm a GOOD listener!!

StudioCat i7 4770k 3.5gHz, 16 RAM,  Sonar Platinum, CD Arch 5.2, Steinberg UR-44

chckn8r1
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 19
Re:The SONAR Orchestral Library Shootout 2010/07/16 23:36:56 (permalink)
This looks like a cool idea. 

I've got another account on here, but the password reset wasn't working - it's been a while since I visited (and fired up Sonar).

Just want to clarify the boundaries here.  From what I read, there's no adjusting/adding/deleting notes in the arrangement.  Is this the entire note-on to note-off sequence of events? or is it just limited to the note name/note-on parameter.  I'm thinking that there may be a need to adjust octaves to suit different libraries and possibly adjust note-off values to get the appropriate sound...

Cheers, Dave

Dave Chick
Composer - Hatched Productions
rbowser
Re:The SONAR Orchestral Library Shootout 2010/07/16 23:37:41 (permalink)
And a follow up to matters not quite as pressing--

"...i do like to be aggressive because i think that is what the world needs..."

Are we living on the same world, dr. hash?--probably not.  It's rather obvious that in the world where I live, too much aggression is the worst problem, and what we need much less of, not more.  But I'm glad to see you here on this thread - You're going to make a "Trek" orchestral shootout contribution I hope.

Dave-- "...I'm sure mixmkr is correct..."

Well don't be. - He's not correct about the most important aspect of this thread - Please read my reply to him above.

"...but imo the important thing is that those still new to many aspects of midi and Sonar can learn. As long as the "how" is published for us to do that..."

The people who have sent in files so far have written explanations about what they did.  They're doing a good job about explaining some salient points about their process, but don't expect to read text books giving you every detail.  They know that to go on too long just leaves people cross-eyed, and it's impossible to truly explain one's process anyway.  But they're all at least leaving tantalizing bits about how they work.

"...Edit: I know the thread started as the best library but of course things always change here..."

Not sure what that means - Maybe you thought that this was to be only about "high end" libraries?  The basic concept has always been for us to get together and give each other an idea of what can be with our various orchestral libraries, of whatever sort they happen to be.

Hope you try a hand at this.  It can be as simple or complex as  you want it to be.

Randy B.

Sonar X3e Studio
Alesis i|O2 interface
with dual monitors
...wicked
Max Output Level: -1.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7360
Re:The SONAR Orchestral Library Shootout 2010/07/16 23:41:58 (permalink)
mixmkr
I think this is great, but my $.02 why this may not really produce the results wanted.

The composer/arranger/musican is BY FAR the biggest element in how these will sound.
Meh, I'm unconcerned. If I hear a great example done with a POS sample set it'll still be valuable to read the notes about how they sequenced it. 

Similarly with a great sound set. I'm kind of a newb when it comes to articulations anyway, so it can still be educational.

Just because someone isn't the world's best driver doesn't mean seeing them cruise by in a Ferrari isn't a good experience. 

===========
The Fog People
===========

Intel i7-4790 
16GB RAM
ASUS Z97 
Roland OctaCapture
Win10/64   

SONAR Platinum 64-bit    
billions VSTs, some of which work    
mixmkr
Re:The SONAR Orchestral Library Shootout 2010/07/16 23:44:11 (permalink)
rbowser

Dave-- "...I'm sure mixmkr is correct..."

Well don't be. - He's not correct about the most important aspect of this thread -
I could have sworn it said "turn left" 

dang... my ferrari just hit the lamp post!!

anyrate, don't mind me...  I'm just sitting on the sidelines with this one.  Pardon my disturbances. 
post edited by mixmkr - 2010/07/16 23:47:08

DaveElson
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 350
Re:The SONAR Orchestral Library Shootout 2010/07/16 23:46:28 (permalink)
Randy

I realized after posting that I was changing the topic in some way, perhaps to a tutorial away from let's compare.
post edited by DaveElson - 2010/07/16 23:47:39
rbowser
Re:The SONAR Orchestral Library Shootout 2010/07/16 23:49:54 (permalink)
mixmkr

thx Randy, I appreciate the clarification.

not sure I really understood what all you were really trying to say, but attibute that to the typed word!
I'll be very eager to hear these differences, but have to "wimp out" as my schedule would put this excersize down a couple notches.
But..I'm a GOOD listener!!

Hello again, Mixmkr - Glad at least some of my answer made sense.  But come on, enough with the excuses about wimping out because of your schedule blah dee blah - Just do it.  We had several entries last night mere hours after this thread was started!  It's not that big of a deal.  Just Do It.

Randy B.

Sonar X3e Studio
Alesis i|O2 interface
with dual monitors
rbowser
Re:The SONAR Orchestral Library Shootout 2010/07/16 23:54:41 (permalink)
chckn8r1

This looks like a cool idea. 

I've got another account on here, but the password reset wasn't working - it's been a while since I visited (and fired up Sonar).

Just want to clarify the boundaries here.  From what I read, there's no adjusting/adding/deleting notes in the arrangement.  Is this the entire note-on to note-off sequence of events? or is it just limited to the note name/note-on parameter.  I'm thinking that there may be a need to adjust octaves to suit different libraries and possibly adjust note-off values to get the appropriate sound...

Cheers, Dave

Dave Chick
Composer - Hatched Productions

Hi, Dave - Glad you want to jump in, and thanks for the good questions.

You're correct, that we don't want the arrangement of the notes to be changed.  But the duration of a note is arbitrary, that should be changed as per what you the producer wants to do, and how your library of choice sounds best.  And I understand what you mean about different libraries having instruments in different octaves - Definitely shift octaves to match what works with your instruments.

As I've been trying to make clear, there's Tons of leeway here - Just don't re-write the arrangement.

Good example of how note editing could be called for - Maybe you have a soft synth which has its snare on several notes.  The MIDI file has the snare all on one note.  If you know your instrument will sound better with that snare line being played over several notes - change it!  Keep with the intent of the arrangement but adjust the file to show off your instrument to its best advantage.

Randy B.

Sonar X3e Studio
Alesis i|O2 interface
with dual monitors
Jose7822
  • Total Posts : 10031
Re:The SONAR Orchestral Library Shootout 2010/07/16 23:59:05 (permalink)
I know we weren't supposed to change the raw data, but I found a few wrong notes and so I fixed those.

Also correcting some doubling issues that were wierd in the original arrangement.

Just wished I had more time to finish it sooner.  It's taking me longer than I expected :-P

Intel Q9400 2.66 GHz
8 GB of RAM @ 800 Mhz
ATI Radeon HD 3650
Windows 7 Professional (SP1) x64
Cubase 6.03 x64
Sonar PE 8.5.3 x64
RME FireFace 400
Frontier Design Alpha Track
Studio Logic VMK-188 Plus

http://www.youtube.com/user/SonarHD
rbowser
Re:The SONAR Orchestral Library Shootout 2010/07/16 23:59:41 (permalink)
DaveElson

Randy

I realized after posting that I was changing the topic in some way, perhaps to a tutorial away from let's compare.

Hi, Dave - I don't think you were changing the topic.  I understood you to be asking if there were going to be explanations posted along with the tracks - and the answer is, yes, there are.  But there's not a form for people to fill out, i.e. "What was the first thing you did with this file? - What did you do next?" etc.  People are providing text, some shorter, some longer, passing on whatever they want to pass on about how they worked up the MIDI file.  I know it's going to be instructional for everyone who takes a look.

Randy B.

Sonar X3e Studio
Alesis i|O2 interface
with dual monitors
rbowser
Re:The SONAR Orchestral Library Shootout 2010/07/17 00:05:27 (permalink)
Jose7822

I know we weren't supposed to change the raw data, but I found a few wrong notes and so I fixed those.

Also correcting some doubling issues that were wierd in the original arrangement.

Just wished I had more time to finish it sooner.  It's taking me longer than I expected :-P

Hi, Jose - There's really no rush.  Sure, we want to have a page up with some entries soon, but it's not a race.  This only started yesterday, so you're more along on your project than most people.  It's fine.  We have four tracks so far, and naturally hope to get many more.  It'll be great to see yours whenever you've finished.

I noticed a spattering of doubled notes in the file, after I started working with it more deeply.  Those should of course be deleted - some synths respond badly to doubled notes, some don't care so much.

There's a passage where I think there might be some wrong notes also.  We didn't notice them at first.  I think they Might be wrong - some unexpected, odd harmonies in that one passage.  For now I've left them as-is in the project I'm working on.  If they keep bugging me, I'll change them.  So, I think we have to say if you're really bothered by what you think are wrong notes, then changing them has to be OK.

Randy B.

Sonar X3e Studio
Alesis i|O2 interface
with dual monitors
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 13
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1