Helpful ReplyThe SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 11
Author
Anderton
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/04/20 15:32:57 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby karhide 2017/04/20 15:39:37
gbarrett
Well then, Logic Pro it is!  With Windows so inconsistent, I cannot afford to lose money from clients because Microsoft decided they had a better idea for my system and implement it without asking.  Yeah, I know they have supposedly changed the update process, but it's not the first time they have said that. 

As a Windows user and even longer-time Mac user, all I can say is...don't believe the hype. The Mac of 2017 is different from the Mac of 2007. I wait much longer to update my Mac computers compared to my Windows computers because between plug-in manufacturers having to scramble to catch up, the moving of goalposts (just ask any developer), and the wi-fi fiasco in a previous update, I've learned my lesson. Don't update your Mac until you get the all-clear signal, which can take awhile.

This isn't to bash the Mac, Apple usually gets it right eventually. I'm just trying to be realistic.

Frankly at this point, I'm getting more consistent initial results from Window updates than Mac OS updates. I assume when Apple does their desktop makeover in 2018 they'll tie up some of the loose ends in the OS and with Logic Pro X, but for now, Windows 10 + SONAR is running pretty much flawlessly. 

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
gbarrett
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 258
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/04/20 15:40:11 (permalink)
I've been running both Sonar on a windows 10 machine and Logic Pro on my MBP literally side by side for more than a year.  The MBP has never crashed during a live set or a recording project.  Countless times the windows machine crashes or locks up - and Sonar is the only app apart from plugins on that machine besides the OS.  I HAD to go to Mac because of losing revenue with Windows.  It's too common to walk in to do a session and find that Microsoft had installed updates that rendered a driver, codec, or some other file inactive that prohibited the machine from running Sonar in a stable manner.  It gets embarrassing with paying customers waiting on you to download some new file to keep an audio interface running or re-install a softsynth.  You get the idea.  With Mac, I have always been able to postpone any updates until it fit my schedule. 

My problem isn't with Sonar, it's with Windows.

A real musician knows the difference between the music and the notes.
Keni
Max Output Level: -17.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5769
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/04/20 15:42:39 (permalink)
millzy
Not have to deal with Windows is always a HUGE bonus for me.

Once you're running Bootcamp and Windows, you are essentially running a PC - albeit, a very fancy (and underpowered) PC. Not a very exciting perspective.

For me, it's just not worth the hassle.

I would run a native version of Sonar (admitting that I didn't have to upgrade OS) on my Mac anytime. But even though I sometimes would have liked having access to Sonar, I never seriously considered Bootcamp since I switched in 2010.

I get the hassle of having to install Windows, then Sonar, but are there really performance issues? When you say 'underpowered', does running Windows on a Mac somehow downgrade the performance of the Mac? Sorry, still trying to understand apart from the hassle of installing another OS on the machine, what the Bootcamp issues are. 

I've been running under boot camp for a few years now and if this is underpowered, I love it.

I don't care for OSX, but it's there if I want/need it. Currently my only need is for transferring music/pics from my iPads...

Keni Fink
Keni - Facebook
Deep Space Records
http://www.reverbnation.com/inexile
http://www.cdbaby.com/artist/inexile
Out Of My Head Music (BMI)

SPlat/MacPro/Dual Xeon 3.06GHz 6-core (12 total)/64GB/Win8.1X64/Presonus 1818VSL/Soundscape SS8IO-1
SiberianKhatru59
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 235
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/04/20 15:55:07 (permalink)
Starise
I don't regularly delve into the inner workings of a software program, especially one as complicated as Sonar, so I hope you'll pardon me for not understanding why we can't have both versions? I CAN understand it not being financially viable. I don't see why this was insurmountable technically when we have several other DAW software companies that did it successfully.

Is it the way Sonar was made from the ground up? Apples to oranges kind of thing. If we have a program to merge the two, maybe compatibility was what killed the idea.

What makes some competitors software better suited to multi porting? Writing two distinct copies from the ground up? If so, why not write a Mac copy from the ground up? My hunch is that this was very expensive and not really viable in light of sales projections. I had hoped it could be done, even if it was a more simplistic version if only for the sake of having that market open.

If you spent most of your life for the last 6 months on this project I'm sure you're way more deflated than the rest of us. I don't use a Mac but I'm sympathetic to those who intended to do so. I really hope some kind of a truce can be reached for those who invested in the software thinking it would be used on Mac. 

Where do we go from here?

If you really like Sonar why let a platform hold you back?

In a couple of words, the difference is "available expertise".

SONAR Platinum, Win7 Home Premium 64bit, Sweetwater Creation Station CS250v21 (Ivy Bridge Core i5 3.4Ghz CPU, 12GB DDR3/1600Mhz RAM, 500GB/1TB Seagate Barracuda system/audio drives, SATA 6.0, USB 3.0), M-Audio Fast Track Pro USB, 2x KRK Rokit 5's, Yamaha MO8
SiberianKhatru59
  • Total Posts : 235
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/04/20 16:00:36 (permalink)
Personally, I'm glad the Big Experiment is over, with apologies to the Mac-heads out there.

I am a Microsoft SQL Server database administrator and programmer by trade and I've always believed it is better to be GREAT at one thing than to be just "OK" at more than one thing.  When I think "Windows DAW", I think SONAR and that is a testament (at least to me) of where the success of Cakewalk lies and depends.

SONAR Platinum, Win7 Home Premium 64bit, Sweetwater Creation Station CS250v21 (Ivy Bridge Core i5 3.4Ghz CPU, 12GB DDR3/1600Mhz RAM, 500GB/1TB Seagate Barracuda system/audio drives, SATA 6.0, USB 3.0), M-Audio Fast Track Pro USB, 2x KRK Rokit 5's, Yamaha MO8
Keith Albright [Cakewalk]
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1117
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/04/20 16:01:11 (permalink)
You can use it just fine as a field recorder. The cpu usage for that case is low. Any i nterface can be used as well with low latency.

Keith
Keith Albright [Cakewalk]
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1117
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/04/20 16:25:19 (permalink)
blazingedgepro
...If the Sonar Mac Prototype just allows me to plug in an audio interface and record something, then that's all I really need it do...

Shayne

It will do that just fine. The audio hw side uses whatever the Mac audio configuration is set for. CodeWeavers exposes that to us as an ASIO interface.

The higher cpu issue only is a factor when adding several effects. For recording it is comparable to native apps.

My advice is to just try it out.

Keith
Sanderxpander
Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3873
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/04/20 16:42:56 (permalink)
C Hudson
Sanderxpander

But the main thing I find baffling from your post is the assertion that updates don't break anything on OSX, because in my experience OSX updates break things far more often than Windows updates do. I get emails from Native Instruments multiple times a year to please wait with updating my OSX because they need to adapt a driver or an installer or a program. If there is anything Apple deliberately doesn't care for it's backwards compatibility, because it messes with their business model - they sell hardware, primarily. They need you to update every so few years. Microsoft makes an OS that they and it's in their interest to make and keep it compatible with as much hardware and software as they can feasibly ensure.

FWIW, my wife's 2010 MacBook pro runs sierra just as smooth as butter. It obviously lacks in the raw computing power of a modern machine, which shows in video render time,but the point is, a 7 year old laptop can run the latest OS on the mac side and it be very usable. Try running a 7 year old PC with the latest versions of windows. Sludgefest. Not a pleasant experience at all. This kind of throws a wrench into your argument that Apple does not care about backwards compatibility where as MS do. Not the case. MS continues to add more layers of bloat until you need a new machine to have a decent experience just checking email. NI have only given me warnings when OSX went to new point releases. Never on an update. You might own different products though so that might be why.
I've had 3 windows 10 machines perform an update then boot to a blackscreen, requiring a complete reinstall/reimage. Never experienced anything like that on Mac.
Consistency is why I went to the dark side. Professionally, Im not concerned joe blows PC can run 350 compressors and mine only 325. If joe blow updates his video card, his 350 could turn into 275. Not looking back now. In 3 years my Mac's have never let me down. I know lots of guys have great success with PC's too, many on here in fact. Bottom line , they all want your $$   :)

That's ridiculous, Windows 10 runs faster than Windows XP. Old computers get a huge benefit from going to 10 over Vista and 7. I don't know what happened for you but I cannot corroborate this experience at all. Additionally, virtually ALL of my Mac using friends (and that's basically everyone as Mac is very prevalent in the Dutch music scenes) have upgraded their older Macs to SSDs because they "were getting so slow". I don't think this is a case of one beating the other because all computers age and perception of speed also changes compared to newer hardware, but it's a simple fact that Mac OS (and iOS) upgrades obsolete hardware in a way that almost never happens to Windows. Most Windows 7 drivers work on Windows 10, even.

As for updates and point releases, that may be a semantics issue. I call point releases updates too considering how often Mac drops them. If you're fine sticking with Tiger that doesn't bother me, assuming you can find any apps that will still install on it.
C Hudson
Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 990
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/04/20 17:51:32 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Sir Les 2017/04/21 04:00:45
I'm afraid your and my experiences are polar opposite. Windows 10 is a POS in my opinion. I've witnessed and had to fix way to many boxes with that OS on it , and the problem traced back to it,to be even close to use that in any professional environment.
Not sure what the Tiger reference was about, immaturity maybe? I said Sierra.
I won't be childish and call your claims "ridiculous " . I'm not changing your mind and you certainly are not changing mine.

Best

CH
stickman393
Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1528
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/04/20 18:33:37 (permalink)
gbarrett
I've been running both Sonar on a windows 10 machine and Logic Pro on my MBP literally side by side for more than a year.  The MBP has never crashed during a live set or a recording project.  Countless times the windows machine crashes or locks up - and Sonar is the only app apart from plugins on that machine besides the OS.  I HAD to go to Mac because of losing revenue with Windows.  It's too common to walk in to do a session and find that Microsoft had installed updates that rendered a driver, codec, or some other file inactive that prohibited the machine from running Sonar in a stable manner.  It gets embarrassing with paying customers waiting on you to download some new file to keep an audio interface running or re-install a softsynth.  You get the idea.  With Mac, I have always been able to postpone any updates until it fit my schedule. 

My problem isn't with Sonar, it's with Windows.

OT, but I'm surprised you didn't disable the Windows Update service. I've been running my DAW on the initial release of Windows 10 and it's been rock solid. For a workhorse production computer that only connects to the 'net in order to update SONAR, it's been rock solid.

I mean, if you like SONAR... but regardless, use what works for you, and good luck!
eikelbijter
Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1002
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/04/20 18:46:28 (permalink)
Sanderxpander
I really don't understand this Mac vs PC debate in a ProAudio context. Like Anderton put it, once you have your program open, you really don't deal with the OS much. I can spend hours in Sonar without needing anything else on the computer. Whether I have finder or Explorer, NTFS or HFS+ really doesn't matter 99 percent of the time. I'm quicker on Windows if I need to make a setting or do something else, but that's mostly relevant because I need to use my laptop for a bunch of things as I don't do studio work full-time. If I had a truly dedicated system it would make no difference to me what the OS was. I could even set Sonar/Logic to autorun on boot.

And right there is the proof that folks' love for MacOS is based on something completely different than usability! Is it fairy dust? Is it pure unadulterated courage? Kool-Aid?

On that same note: I can't not BELIEVE the snowflakes on here! I'm just glad they went to Mac and will not be interjecting questionable advice here anymore....pfffff!

Xeon E3-1231V3, 16GB RAM, 480GB 840EVO SSD, MOTU 2480MK3, 424PCI w/ Sonar Platinum
Dell XPS 18, i5, 12GB RAM, 500GB SSD+128GB SSD, Roland VS-100 w/ Sonar Platinum

Dell XPS 13, i5, 8GB RAM, 256GB 840EVO SSD, Zoom UAC-2, Sonar Platinum

http://www.RicoBelled.com/

Starise
Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7563
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/04/20 18:52:44 (permalink)
Thanks to Craig and others who better described the situation to those of us who aren't computer coders/porters.

We have some kind of a working prototype/example of Sonar on a mac . Who would have thought?

Congratulations to all those who worked so hard to make it happen!

Intel 5820K O.C. 4.4ghz, ASRock Extreme 4 LGA 2011-v3, 16 gig DDR4, ,
3 x Samsung SATA III 500gb SSD, 2X 1 Samsung 1tb 7200rpm outboard, Win 10 64bit, 
Laptop HP Omen i7 16gb 2/sdd with Focusrite interface.
 CbB, Studio One 4 Pro, Mixcraft 8, Ableton Live 10 

www.soundcloud.com/starise

Twitter @Rodein

Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2819
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/04/20 18:53:21 (permalink)
the AVB ethernet audio (i.e. connect your audio device via LAN) that MOTU offers for mac would be interesting, but again not interesting enough to splash out for a mac of similar specs as the the PCs I currently use ...

GOOD TUNES LAST FOREVER
  +++   Visit the Rehab   +++

DAW: Platinum/X3e, win10 64 bit, i7-3930K (6x3.2GHz), Asus Sabertooth X79, 32 GB DDR3 1600MHz, ATI HD 5450, 120 GB SSD OCZ Agility3, 2x 1TB WD HDD SATA 600
Audio-Interface: 2x MOTU 1248 AVB, Focusrite OctoPre, (Roland Octa-Capture)   Control-Surface: VS-700C 
VSTi: WAVES, NI K10u, FabFilter, IK, ... (too many really) 
Sir Les
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1182
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/04/20 19:09:50 (permalink)

Bravo CW...and the Madden crowds echo...when the going gets tough...We  at CW go backwards, to what is warm and fuzzy, and comfortable knowing how to keep the bug juices flowing...New gear saying, new words tooting, new things coming.....But always with a twisted bug hint of a hunt to persue, and tame?..or is it shame?...be it so, is so lax and lazy never does much if so left to others to do for you, what you should be doing on your own recoding...Not porting over!....Steinberg learnt that back in Atari days to MS windows....Patch and tweak did not work long if at all....Rewrite, recode works!

....And if future days or years or whatever comes next...?...Is another contender with bettering Code to run all in all ....Without such bloat and blare Bling bling, spooling and sending f intel...Some might enjoy a more robust experience with out cpu interruptions and such bottlenecks of drive issues and freezing...when MS is collecting data off of System devices to send...While in use doing what ever Sonar saves to those devices...testing 123s on...interruptious devination of devices...is a poor rule of thumb.
When it comes down to the one truth of all truths.....Who needs a computer anyway?....

Music comes from the heart of Living things first and foremost.
And Living things listen to music of all kinds of living things....No worries...Hum along with Humans is still da free value that always works best to go see do and always seems to get the job done with out too much effort to do in making without.

So as for Bakers who send out a process, and do not recode for, or rewrite for,...being lax or said lazy...We remember How Steinberg fared once upon a time...Porting over from Atari to MS...The patch and stitch method did not work.

As CW is in effect dropping the ball, because they will not do the leg work in baking it up themselves prime and proper.

They use the Proxy's failure  of the cross over mac app to dispel hope of something more stable for users?.....

Well, that is what life time updates means folks......circles in bug fixes. work arounds, and oddity of muse...until they "whom ever they be", decide to change it all up with a important new update rammed down the pipe line...to unsuspecting ...Bots....for now your machine is tied to Their whim and will,...We will break it when we do, and we will charge you to get it kind of going again...if we can....And if we can't....It is all paid by you anyway...So, we gain...You the user looses, if so be so, is so?...Well how many are there that have had their machine go belly up because of bad updates from MS?....I know a few myself..and some brought to me over a period also!

And that is the hat on the tin man's head, and thre cat's meow turned upside down....right CW?.

So ware it with Pride.

Studio one 3 works on both Mac and PC....Perhaps you should of tried harder asking people who have done it sort of Properly..they might of said...rewrite the code, do not port it over!

But then some digress in ignoring...known truth!

There is no easy way CW.

Regards.

Best wishes!

Sir Les.

1. Intel 5960x 3.5mhz , ASUS x99 deluxe u3.1, Asus Thunderbolt ex II,   G skills f4 3000 Memory 32GB , ADATA ssd 250GB Main Drive, Lots of WD Red 7200 Mechanical Drives with Black Drives, 14x multi optical Drive, LG Multi Blu Drive,  2X Extern WD Mybooks usb 3.0, AMD r7 270 video card, Motu 828x TB , Motu Midi XT.
2.  USING MAC PRO, as win 10 has damaged 2 x99 systems 8.1 is also to blame for the final burnout trying to roll back!

3.  Something Wonderful: https://1drv.ms/f/s!AlHkRy9cXBbYpQNvVBCt8r7fQ5PS
xiwix
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 284
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/04/20 19:26:49 (permalink)
Oh well - I was semi excited to tinker with some Sonar tracks with my MacBook on the train and I think I'll load it up just for fun and see what happens.

I'm thankful for the Sonar product and the clever lifetime marketing that has me contentedly locked in at this point.

Windows 10 will certainly give me some grief but I'll learn to manage and Apple is doing no better when I update with them either.
soens
Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5154
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/04/20 20:05:53 (permalink)
Sanderxpander
Really? Any remote desktop app should work, as well as a few dedicated controller apps.

I was more interested in screen mirroring. All the apps that are supposed to work that way have failed for me, tho I'm sure it's my doing (or undoing).
paulo
Max Output Level: -13 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6218
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/04/20 20:18:00 (permalink)
stickman393

OT, but I'm surprised you didn't disable the Windows Update service.

I've been trying to do this on a w10 laptop because every update seems to screw up the printer settings and it seems that it is not possible unless you upgrade to win 10 pro. If you know how to turn off updates on w10 home edition I'd be very happy to hear it.

Back on topic..... I have no interest at all in mac version, but CW should have just done all of this in the background before saying anything. They made a really big deal out of announcing it, so IMO it's not surprising that people who do care about it are very disappointed now and feel like they were somewhat mislead. It's funny how CW and the resident spin doctor keep referring to what was "actually said" when the announcement was made, yet removed all trace of that announcement several weeks before admitting that it was a bust so that nobody can refer back to it.

Anyway, now that they have their focus back, hopefully this will mean that the upcoming updates will be more inspiring than they have been of late, so that has to be good, right?
Sanderxpander
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/04/20 20:36:49 (permalink)
I would definitely recommend going to Win10 pro.
Noel Borthwick [Cakewalk]
Cakewalk Staff
  • Total Posts : 6475
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/04/20 20:39:37 (permalink)
C Hudson
Try running a 7 year old PC with the latest versions of windows. Sludgefest. 

I have an older PC built in 2008 that was updated to Win10. Works much better than it did in Win 7 and boots way faster. I've had no problems with the OS there.
Anyway besides all this debate about Mac and PC I hope some of the people who were interested in a Mac version actually try the alpha. 

Noel Borthwick
Senior Manager Audio Core, BandLab
My Blog, Twitter, BandLab Profile
subtlearts
Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2200
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/04/20 21:04:42 (permalink)
This nearly 10 year old Q6600 runs better under win10 than it ever has. It takes a while to start - something I'm going to try to address with an SSD - but then it always did, really. And it's loading a truckload of stuff - it's a multi-use machine and I've never really streamlined it for dedicated DAW use. It's run XP, 7, 8, 8.1 and all flavours of 10. I imagine I would be freaked out at the performance of a modern desktop rig at this point, but this one still gets the job done and I haven't felt the need to retire it yet...

tobias tinker 
music is easy: just start with complete silence, and take away the parts you don't like!
tobiastinker.com
aeosrecords.com
soundfascination.com
Sonar Platinum, a bunch of other stuff...
Sanderxpander
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/04/20 21:09:24 (permalink)
Q6600 is a great workhorse, the difference from an SSD should give your system new life as long as you're not near to hitting CPU barriers in your projects. Whole albums have been done on much punier hardware.
subtlearts
Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2200
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/04/20 21:15:08 (permalink)
Sanderxpander
Q6600 is a great workhorse, the difference from an SSD should give your system new life as long as you're not near to hitting CPU barriers in your projects. Whole albums have been done on much punier hardware.

I've done a lot on this one! Yeah I've been meaning to slot in the SSD for a while, it's been a long time since I've done anything like that so I've been putting it off but I think the time is right. I do challenge the CPU on occasion if I'm using a lot of VSTi (which is pretty common) but I have never had a big problem managing it all with freezing and latency and so on. 

tobias tinker 
music is easy: just start with complete silence, and take away the parts you don't like!
tobiastinker.com
aeosrecords.com
soundfascination.com
Sonar Platinum, a bunch of other stuff...
fitzj
Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1487
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/04/20 21:18:31 (permalink)
Good decision cakewalk.
C Hudson
Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 990
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/04/20 21:37:05 (permalink)
Noel Borthwick [Cakewalk]
C Hudson
Try running a 7 year old PC with the latest versions of windows. Sludgefest. 

I have an older PC built in 2008 that was updated to Win10. Works much better than it did in Win 7 and boots way faster. I've had no problems with the OS there.
Anyway besides all this debate about Mac and PC I hope some of the people who were interested in a Mac version actually try the alpha. 

Hey Noel,
As stated earlier, I've had several Win10 workstations have their OS's just eat themselves alive , either while updating, or just out of the blue. I've had more stability issues with win 10 than any other version of Windows. Sometimes safe mode works, some times not. Just has really left a bad taste in my mouth for the current state of Windows. 
As for people trying the Mac build, It's kind of pointless to get too excited about it after you've announced it's a dead horse with no future. 
Gibson has a terrible reputation with music technology companies. Hopefully they continue to give you what you need to make Sonar awesome ( which it is ) on Windows. Was hoping they would have increased your team for Mac software . 

Best

CH
Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
  • Total Posts : 2819
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/04/20 21:37:34 (permalink)
Sir Les

Bravo CW...and the Madden crowds echo...when the going gets tough...We  at CW go backwards, to what is warm and fuzzy, and comfortable knowing how to keep the bug juices flowing...New gear saying, new words tooting, new things coming.....But always with a twisted bug hint of a hunt to persue, and tame?..or is it shame?...be it so, is so lax and lazy never does much if so left to others to do for you, what you should be doing on your own recoding...Not porting over!....Steinberg learnt that back in Atari days to MS windows....Patch and tweak did not work long if at all....Rewrite, recode works!

....And if future days or years or whatever comes next...?...Is another contender with bettering Code to run all in all ....Without such bloat and blare Bling bling, spooling and sending f intel...Some might enjoy a more robust experience with out cpu interruptions and such bottlenecks of drive issues and freezing...when MS is collecting data off of System devices to send...While in use doing what ever Sonar saves to those devices...testing 123s on...interruptious devination of devices...is a poor rule of thumb.
When it comes down to the one truth of all truths.....Who needs a computer anyway?....

Music comes from the heart of Living things first and foremost.
And Living things listen to music of all kinds of living things....No worries...Hum along with Humans is still da free value that always works best to go see do and always seems to get the job done with out too much effort to do in making without.

So as for Bakers who send out a process, and do not recode for, or rewrite for,...being lax or said lazy...We remember How Steinberg fared once upon a time...Porting over from Atari to MS...The patch and stitch method did not work.

As CW is in effect dropping the ball, because they will not do the leg work in baking it up themselves prime and proper.

They use the Proxy's failure  of the cross over mac app to dispel hope of something more stable for users?.....

Well, that is what life time updates means folks......circles in bug fixes. work arounds, and oddity of muse...until they "whom ever they be", decide to change it all up with a important new update rammed down the pipe line...to unsuspecting ...Bots....for now your machine is tied to Their whim and will,...We will break it when we do, and we will charge you to get it kind of going again...if we can....And if we can't....It is all paid by you anyway...So, we gain...You the user looses, if so be so, is so?...Well how many are there that have had their machine go belly up because of bad updates from MS?....I know a few myself..and some brought to me over a period also!

And that is the hat on the tin man's head, and thre cat's meow turned upside down....right CW?.

So ware it with Pride.

Studio one 3 works on both Mac and PC....Perhaps you should of tried harder asking people who have done it sort of Properly..they might of said...rewrite the code, do not port it over!

But then some digress in ignoring...known truth!

There is no easy way CW.

Regards.

Best wishes!

Sir Les.

Anyone understand this?
Anyone read this all the way?

GOOD TUNES LAST FOREVER
  +++   Visit the Rehab   +++

DAW: Platinum/X3e, win10 64 bit, i7-3930K (6x3.2GHz), Asus Sabertooth X79, 32 GB DDR3 1600MHz, ATI HD 5450, 120 GB SSD OCZ Agility3, 2x 1TB WD HDD SATA 600
Audio-Interface: 2x MOTU 1248 AVB, Focusrite OctoPre, (Roland Octa-Capture)   Control-Surface: VS-700C 
VSTi: WAVES, NI K10u, FabFilter, IK, ... (too many really) 
Leadfoot
  • Total Posts : 2817
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/04/20 21:49:05 (permalink)
No, and no.
abacab
Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4464
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/04/20 22:16:28 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Starise 2017/04/21 12:12:17
azslow3

Starise
What makes some competitors software better suited to multi porting? Writing two distinct copies from the ground up? If so, why not write a Mac copy from the ground up? My hunch is that this was very expensive and not really viable in light of sales projections. I had hoped it could be done, even if it was a more simplistic version if only for the sake of having that market open.

If you write the code as a "fruit" right at the beginning, it is easier to make "apple" and "orange" out of it.

+1 for the best answer to a complex question! 

I can imagine that after 30 years, Cakewalk in mostly "orange".

There are at least couple of younger companies that have managed to use the "fruit" concept in developing their products so that they are now cross platform with Windows, Mac, and Linux.  For example, Tracktion and Bitwig.

But I doubt that these cross platform apps will ever be able to fully leverage the power of Windows.  By remaining vendor neutral regarding the OS, there are likely to be some features of the full native OS missing in their implementation.

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
brconflict
Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1891
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/04/20 22:20:54 (permalink)
My opinion echoes some in the industry as Anderton put it. Apple really doesn't play well with intense software unless you run an Apple Wastebasket (Mac Pro). Their laptops leave a lot to be desired as far as performance, and with "heated" reasons. They're not really about professionals anymore (at least not as they were). They are rooted more strongly these days with consumers, which seems to be where their customer-base is.

I still feel strongly that Apple hardware, or at least Unix-based kernel hardware and OS's is a thing, and still growing stronger. Windows is only one OS, and Microsoft can still poop in their own pudding. Sonar should be made to run on a Mac, but not as an emulation as it seems was the idea here. I'd rather see it go away as an emulation or survive and thrive as a natively run app.

I'm ok, personally with it running in Windows 10. Windows 10 is pretty darn efficient with SSD storage, and Sonar does quite well there. My installation of the Mac Prototype didn't even run, so I couldn't tell you if it was great or not.
As he also said, Apple may get serious in hardware/OS power in the near future, so who knows?

Valiant efforts!!

Brian

Sonar Platinum, Steinberg Wavelab Pro 9, MOTU 24CoreIO w/ low-slew OP-AMP mods and BLA external clock, True P8, Audient ASP008, API 512c, Chandler Germ500, Summit 2ba-221, GAP Pre-73, Peluso 22251, Peluso 2247LE, Mackie HR824, Polk Audio SRS-SDA 2.3tl w/upgraded Soniccraft crossovers and Goertz cables, powered by Pass-X350. All wiring Star-Quad XLR or Monster Cable. Power by Monster Power Signature AVS2000 voltage stabilizer and Signature Pro Power 5100 PowerCenter on a 20A isolation shielded circuit.
minminmusic
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/04/21 00:02:04 (permalink)
Anyone have troubles getting the audio drivers to work correctly within the Mac Prototype? I have an RME Fireface 800 where system audio plays back fine through it's SPDIF (Youtube, iTunes etc.) but I can't get Sonar to pick it up.
If I choose ASIO within Sonar nothing happens. I can only get Sonar to scan the Fireface when I choose WASAPI or MME I can see the Fireface outputs (only 1-8) but obviously in WASAPI or MME, those aren't for Mac. I put it aside last night 'cause it was a head scratcher. 
Earwax
  • Total Posts : 242
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/04/21 00:22:57 (permalink)
paulo
stickman393

OT, but I'm surprised you didn't disable the Windows Update service.

I've been trying to do this on a w10 laptop because every update seems to screw up the printer settings and it seems that it is not possible unless you upgrade to win 10 pro. If you know how to turn off updates on w10 home edition I'd be very happy to hear it.

To turn off Windows update in W10, follow these instructions.
https://mspoweruser.com/turn-off-windows-update-windows-10/

Just remember, Windows Update is a service, so turning the service off means you will be responsible for keeping your computer updated. When you turn off the service, you turn off the ability to automatically update anything Microsoft. You can however, if you use Windows Defender as your antivirus, update that program manually without turning on the WUpdate service. If you do turn off the service, you will have to go back to the Services and turn it on once in a while to download and update your copy of Windows.

After you turn the Windows Update service back on, when you open Windows Update in PC Settings, you will most likely see a message that says updates were not installed because computer was stopped. You will have to click on Retry so that all the available updates are downloaded and installed. This may take two or three “Check for Updates”. You will have to keep on clicking “Check for updates” until it says your computer is up to date. Then you can go back and turn off the Windows Update service until next time you want to update Win 10.

If your laptop receives all of its updates via wireless connection, you can set your network connection to "Metered". That tact, however, just delays the inevitable.

Ciao

Pain - the absence of things hoped for, the evidence of catastrophes unforeseen.
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 11
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1