Helpful ReplyThe SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 6 of 11
Author
Earwax
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 242
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/04/21 00:25:40 (permalink)
bitman
Cool hedgehogs never look back at the explosion.
Or:
Don't look back, my bridge is breaking, it's been too long since I felt this way.

Dude! This is hands down the best post in this thread!!

Where did you get this? My daughter has a hedgehog. She'd love to see this.

Thanks in advance!

Pain - the absence of things hoped for, the evidence of catastrophes unforeseen.
bitman
Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4105
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/04/21 03:55:29 (permalink)
Earwax

Thanks in advance!

Google: Cool hedgehogs never look back at the explosion

Sir Les
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1182
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/04/21 04:37:01 (permalink)
Noel Borthwick [Cakewalk]
C Hudson
Try running a 7 year old PC with the latest versions of windows. Sludgefest. 

I have an older PC built in 2008 that was updated to Win10. Works much better than it did in Win 7 and boots way faster. I've had no problems with the OS there.
Anyway besides all this debate about Mac and PC I hope some of the people who were interested in a Mac version actually try the alpha. 

Well Noel, thanks for a Bata Alpha...

But is that really what CW set out to do?...and why make the wait so long, if this was already done so long ago showing us this state, and over all that time, no progress beyond Alpha in name?.

Kind of like this here Noel.
I seen three very expensive machines go down since become a sonar 1x-to Plat user.
And the test, update this and that...which I bared for some time.

Now in late 2014, I paid dearly for a MAC PRO and it was not cheep to get it all going with monitor and hardware...some of which works on the mac without any issues...Where as on PC the conflicting issues just could not be solved for.

That said, I saved my Allen and heath r16s...and use them now on Mac.

If alpha is the only level of progress done is still as it was when said Look what we got working on a Mac...and is in development stages...and we waited and waited and waited with baited breath, while all sorts of MS mayhem unfolded in the 1607 push to fix what they broke...and then, telling me, you have to wait until Aprils next release candidate to address the issues you have ...by the development team of MS....with no refund because they cannot get things proper before sale...it has to occur well into the future to get things gelling...and smelling ok...for a time...until something else needs be twisted in or twisted out, to make more dosh flow into the one way streaming....

I will not say, all have issues with MS?....or OSX...the thing I do say is...what was done here screwing up my systems, and resetting my settings which needed to be as was put , that caused so much damage here, is unforgivable .

And I know, if only one more had the same....Oh, MS is being sued by ...and for...no doubt settled out of court?.

So two....as I cannot reclaim, so as said in ULA....If it continues...and it will...Then why close doors to other means to employ the CW into other dimensions of reason?.

Some might say, it is best to be safe than sorry...

Back up, save, and have a secondary and even more so backup systems to save the day?...

if so spending over 14,000.00 in home for music machines and such....Would you put a Alpha bata on it, if what was ported over still had bugs in win 10?

To cause havoc in that camp?...When enough damage done already on PC has been noted too long in the tooth...and the MS Horse does not yield its BS That you ride on...Yet is behind much of the bug issues!

Say it ain't so....And I will let you, over at CW do the RND...from now on!

And I believe that is fare words more true to say, it is not finished as is.... Then it is not ready for release as said when shown...as alpha to gain support paid for, by some to complete...on any platform other than MS!..or make your own OS for.

Are you not hearing reason?...Some want rock solid performance they can trust will work....if all devices are working proper!.

No more bugs...elevates the product to Professional standards....Not many have achieved.....Why not CW?.

Lax and lazy to try?

Just saying.

RND is not my wanting to do any more ....to send crash reports to ...while nothing gets done in returns to solve those little nit picking Bugs///that make people pull our and scream here on the forums....Some, seem to have a dislike for...Yet all have valid reason when finding it as so said...I said, and some of others said happen.

So, If it be OS MS...and many say Yeh it is...Why oh why do they make people wait to fix what they know they screwed up...and not give or offer back refund if paid...and it does not work?....They use the time limitation...Yet violated their own ULA....it does not work if you agree to the terms or not....And that is their failing to make it work...and if it did work, with much tweaking and setup, and they sabotage that with updates....Did they just sabotage all applications that depend on the OS?...Yes they did also cause Applications to stop, and wait to see what MS is going to do...And then those working are put on hold, and those under those who need work done on hold...and so on.

Holding for update to fix...Never fixed...always a bug, always a thing not working proper.

And to my mind who would keep up with this process?...because it makes sales?...paid support?...surely life time updates is a killer to know will be life time waiting for.

So, with words uttered....Try the Alpha....No thanks, I was waiting on full release of a full product on any other OS, or new OS...other than MS.

Why keep this horse as only one....You know, ISA ports  are gone, and from my experience so far with win 10 pro, Had issues with DVD, Blu ray, and cd burning...and other things going oddly not working..
And video card drivers updates causing all kinds of issues....and internet now having some error in its own driver and services being off, when should be on....yet works writing logs continually....more so a cpu issue also.

Might be only a few having....
But in this day and age...such a hiccup in systems is only a road to more issues.

Just saying it from another perspective point.

If one wants to survive in this cash cow world....no matter the bells and whistles put...if freezing, or crashing, and saved data is corrupted by X....And you did all your homework in library codex tied and tested, with many crash reports sent in no doubt....
There must be a common thread to what plagues the MS OS PC base with your Product line, to seek other options as Mac osx, or other os . was it because people wanted it...surely..., but in fact...you know you cannot go on saying we will give life time updates for bug fixes....and hope none see through the vail of that meaning....eh?...And once and for all said and did say....You already plagued the future with bugs to need updates for a very long long time....Is that a platform anyone with eyes open as wide as some ears of gold have...seeing into words knows, it does not seeming have all the kabudals in the kit proper to say..to Trust it works properly enough to have as a Work base platform needing it to be stable enough for that Word said means it will never be truly solved all...in a life time of updates.

So. we must progress past that statement.....eh?

not all words twisted, said to fools fool the fool, who said would be playing foolishly with in testing, to see the food of fools fall to lies....But then, if twisted this way...and they user pays all, and still gets crash freeze ups and crackles, and other oddities to continue with onward...why not try to fool the ones saying them words, to seek something better?....And I believe you did, because you saw things as some have seen is enough reason, trying to do...shows another intent.

Future growth ....is not to only have one root...but many roots...so if one tree dies, or the oven breaks down too often...another tree has set root elsewhere, has holdings of foot in another format, perhaps might fix all bugs if so was so made for....keeps the hopes alive in muse!
 Well thanks for trying...But Alpha is not enough good enough for me in that regard to want to RND my system to...without the Omega part tied in....As I heard Both are coming this time to make all good very Good or better...be all, end all, of all Daws was my reasoning for saying CW Sonar could be a contender, and surely hold some of user base PC happy enough, and others not so happy....But fail the evolution towards Bugless performance, because of Laxed efforts of doing it properly and or, in placing this in someone else's hands!

Have yee no faith to want to solve all bugs and promote this DAW To higher levels of blissful experiences into Professional stable and trust worthy states of estates.....Trust is put first in Alpha and Omega....making it right.

Thanks anyway!
Best hopes!
Sir Les.

post edited by Sir Les - 2017/04/21 05:49:18

1. Intel 5960x 3.5mhz , ASUS x99 deluxe u3.1, Asus Thunderbolt ex II,   G skills f4 3000 Memory 32GB , ADATA ssd 250GB Main Drive, Lots of WD Red 7200 Mechanical Drives with Black Drives, 14x multi optical Drive, LG Multi Blu Drive,  2X Extern WD Mybooks usb 3.0, AMD r7 270 video card, Motu 828x TB , Motu Midi XT.
2.  USING MAC PRO, as win 10 has damaged 2 x99 systems 8.1 is also to blame for the final burnout trying to roll back!

3.  Something Wonderful: https://1drv.ms/f/s!AlHkRy9cXBbYpQNvVBCt8r7fQ5PS
Leadfoot
Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2817
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/04/21 09:04:38 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby RSMCGUITAR 2017/04/22 05:05:59
TL;DR
Rain
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 9736
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/04/22 01:36:05 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby C Hudson 2017/04/23 20:23:12
eikelbijter

And right there is the proof that folks' love for MacOS is based on something completely different than usability! Is it fairy dust? Is it pure unadulterated courage? Kool-Aid?

On that same note: I can't not BELIEVE the snowflakes on here! I'm just glad they went to Mac and will not be interjecting questionable advice here anymore....pfffff!

Your criteria for for what constitutes a proof leaves much to be desired I'm afraid.

I have many reasons to love MacOS and the Mac ecosystem which I will not discuss in details here because, clearly, a rational discussion isn't a priority - far from it, it will only invite more condescendent remarks and some people will simply further fail to even acknowledge the facts.

Anyway, the use of the pejorative terms "snowflake" reveals a lot...

TCB - Tea, Cats, Books...
Rain
  • Total Posts : 9736
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/04/22 01:48:10 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby coolbass 2017/04/22 02:21:05
35mm

Rain, the days of pros exclusively using Macs is all but over. Apple Mac sales have been in decline for years. Jobs was the imagineer who lead the revolution and inspired a generation, but without him, the Mac platform has lost its way and Apple is now concentrating its efforts on the more profitable mobile tech market. It sucks because when you buy a Mac you are buying into the whole apple brand which is geared into getting you to buy other overpriced Apple products and takes away your freedoms - a Mac these days is just a PC that has been locked to only work with OSX. Windows sucks too, to be honest, but at least you get more freedom. PC gives you the freedom to spec and build your own, more powerful system at a fraction of the cost and then run whatever software you want except OSX of course. For my work, I use various flavours of Linux and run Linux mint on my main laptop. Linux is seeing the highest growth of any OS in recent years while OSX is in decline and windows is fairly stagnant. You can make up your own mind as to why that is, but I think it's partly because Mac sucks :)

I've visited my fair share of major studios around the world, have spent much time behind the scenes of major professional entertainment organizations such as Cirque du Soleil - and my own personal observations clearly contradicts what appears to be conjectures on your part. Mac computers are still everywhere in the professional industry (which is not to say that PC aren't present in various segments of the industry.)

Abbey Road just opened two new studios recently - all equipped with Mac, Logic and Pro Tools. 

The reality out there is a lot different from what one would assume it to be from hanging out on the internet, especially if that person has an admitted - and very strong - bias against Mac.

TCB - Tea, Cats, Books...
Brian Walton
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 584
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/04/22 02:19:44 (permalink)
Have you actually run a 7 year old PC with Windows 10? I have and without any notable issue.
outland144k
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 934
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/04/22 05:16:35 (permalink)
karhide
It feels like Apple seem to have lost their edge and are not bothered about the creative types just iphone and ipad sales.  

Isn't this just what was expected in the long run (especially with Job's death)?

“Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy” is attributed to Benjamin Franklin perhaps in error, but the thought remains a worthy sentiment nonetheless.

kevinwal
Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1066
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/04/22 12:50:30 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby FCCfirstclass 2017/04/22 12:56:15
Making these kinds of business decisions is never easy. I'm sure that after all the time, hard work and money they put into the effort, Cakewalk would much rather have had a viable product to show for it. And unfortunate (and rather slimy, if I may say so) suggestions by some here about shady marketing ploys notwithstanding, I'm even more sure that they were not at all happy with having to make this announcement knowing that they would disappoint the many users who were excited about the prospect of a Mac offering.

Having had to make decisions like this, my sympathies are not with the potential Mac user base; they still have many options for making music. Rather they are with the talented people of Cakewalk who put their time and credibility on the line to do something bold and amazing (and they did!) only to have to shut things down on what should have been a day of great fanfare. Cakewalk, I'm truly sorry it didn't work out for you, and I hope the experience doesn't diminish your willingness to take risks to do great things.

Kevin Walsh
My latest tunes are at Reverbnation, please give a listen!

EVGA X58 Classified III, 24GB Kingston RAM, i7/970 6 core
256GB SSD, 2TB HD
Windows 10 Build 10586, Sonar Platinum, 2016.03
MOTU 8Pre Interface
paulo
Max Output Level: -13 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6218
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/04/22 13:13:25 (permalink)
Earwax
paulo
stickman393

OT, but I'm surprised you didn't disable the Windows Update service.

I've been trying to do this on a w10 laptop because every update seems to screw up the printer settings and it seems that it is not possible unless you upgrade to win 10 pro. If you know how to turn off updates on w10 home edition I'd be very happy to hear it.

To turn off Windows update in W10, follow these instructions.
https://mspoweruser.com/turn-off-windows-update-windows-10/

Just remember, Windows Update is a service, so turning the service off means you will be responsible for keeping your computer updated. When you turn off the service, you turn off the ability to automatically update anything Microsoft. You can however, if you use Windows Defender as your antivirus, update that program manually without turning on the WUpdate service. If you do turn off the service, you will have to go back to the Services and turn it on once in a while to download and update your copy of Windows.

After you turn the Windows Update service back on, when you open Windows Update in PC Settings, you will most likely see a message that says updates were not installed because computer was stopped. You will have to click on Retry so that all the available updates are downloaded and installed. This may take two or three “Check for Updates”. You will have to keep on clicking “Check for updates” until it says your computer is up to date. Then you can go back and turn off the Windows Update service until next time you want to update Win 10.

If your laptop receives all of its updates via wireless connection, you can set your network connection to "Metered". That tact, however, just delays the inevitable.

Ciao

Thanks, I'll have a look at that when she gets back, but I'm pretty sure I already found my way that far and the option to turn off was not there. Asking the www led me to a page that said you have to upgrade to win 10 Pro version to get the option to disable. In the end I did the metered connection thing as you suggested because I'n sick to death of the win 10 updates screwing up the ability to print anything via wireless connection.
outland144k
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 934
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/04/22 16:20:55 (permalink)

paulo
In the end I did the metered connection thing as you suggested because I'n sick to death of the win 10 updates screwing up the ability to print anything via wireless connection.

Whoa, thanks for saying this! What is a metered connection and did your printer act like it couldn't clear the job it just printed out of its cache and lock up for like a half hour? I'd like to get that fixed for sure.

post edited by outland144k - 2017/04/22 19:34:21

“Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy” is attributed to Benjamin Franklin perhaps in error, but the thought remains a worthy sentiment nonetheless.

paulo
Max Output Level: -13 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6218
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/04/22 18:01:00 (permalink)
In network settings there is a "set as metered connection" setting which apparently blocks updates of anything without your permission due to implied download limits. It's not ideal and I don't know if has fixed the issue for sure yet - it's working at the moment so time will tell I guess, but one thing for sure is that every time the problem arises a look at windows update history will tell you that it has recently been updated - I don't believe that is a coincidence unless someone can tell me otherwise.

FYI, the printer issue is that when attempting to print it says that the printer is offline and the job just sits in the print queue. It isn't offline as it it still works fine using my win8 pc when the w10 is saying that it is offline. Running the win 10 troubleshooter is no use at all as it will tell you that the printer isn't even switched on and must be switched on before it can run diagnosis. Rebooting the printer has no effect on this and if there is a way on win 10 to change the simply printer status from offline to online then I'm yet to find it. Restarting the print spooler worked once, but didn't on the latest occasion.
chriso1515
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 48
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/04/23 01:11:57 (permalink)
should've expected it--*perfectly* in keeping with some really poor decision making over the years and it breaks my heart. was really hoping to see a native mac sonar. (had i known it was a "run windows apps on a mac" solution i never would've gotten my hopes up.)
Markubl2
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 299
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/04/23 01:17:35 (permalink)
I have no strong opinion on Cakewalk ceasing the Mac project, but I find the PC vs Mac debate silly.  You use what you like.   Everyone has their own opinion and experiences.  

Personally, I don't like Macs or IOS.   In my day job, I manage several IT departments.   In our companies, the Macs have proven to be very problematic, and IOS simply too limiting.   After receiving management support, I met with the Mac groups (mostly creative types) and let them know we were moving them to PCs.  Obviously, that decision was not very popular at the time.   I even had two Mac users resign their jobs because of it.  

Several months later, I checked in with the groups.  Almost to a person, the current attitude was "Meh, I guess it doesn't really matter - once I'm in Photoshop I don't even notice."

vladasyn
Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1092
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/04/23 01:35:49 (permalink)
Great news! Happy! No Apple take over on horizon! Been hurt by Apple taking over Emagic Logic once. What a relieve! No more Mac! Lets focus on Microsoft Windows! I have good feeling that Microsoft will not let us down. Until Apple allows their OS on custom built computers, I have no interest in apple. Good for us!

https://soundcloud.com/vlada-astral 
http://vladasyn.wix.com/astral#
I am a female. Windows 8.1
Custom DAW Intel Core I7 3770K, 16 Gb memory, SSD+ 2 x 2 Gb storage. Presonus StudioLive 24.
  Multiple keyboards and modules, software synths.  
abacab
Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4464
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/04/23 01:49:27 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Starise 2017/04/24 13:46:47
husker

Several months later, I checked in with the groups.  Almost to a person, the current attitude was "Meh, I guess it doesn't really matter - once I'm in Photoshop I don't even notice."

My take is that an OS is just a framework to hang an application from.  Once you are using the application, the OS should not be a major concern. 

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
abacab
Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4464
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/04/23 01:50:34 (permalink)
vladasyn

Until Apple allows their OS on custom built computers, I have no interest in apple. Good for us!

+1

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
Blades
Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3246
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/04/23 01:53:16 (permalink)
I was actually a little surprised when this news came out the other day.  Personally, I'm somewhere between "I don't care" and "yahoo" but there is definitely a bit of "you mislead people" with the release announcement.  For a few reasons, this is bothersome:

1. You said this as part of a MAJOR announcement and there was a LOT of fanfare around this statement to hype up what a big deal it was going to be.

2. You called it an ALPHA release.  Generally, this would be a release of a project that was being BUILD not one that was being "adapted" to another OS/CPU.  The whole idea that this was just a conversion and not a re-write for Mac was not what I was expecting (as someone who has no Mac interest and therefore didn't really care about such a release except that it seemed likely to disrupt the PC development) and I have to think that Mac people were pretty hurt by this news.

It kind of seems like if we suddenly heard that the labeling of "USDA 100% Organic" on food labels meant something like "we took the non-organic stuff and washed it in organic cleaners".

Again - I'm pretty happy in general that the end-result is that Cakewalk will continue to spend their time, money, and effort on enhancing the PC version of the software, but it doesn't give me great confidence in the MESSAGE that the company sends to their user base.  There was a lot of paranoia about the "lifetime updates" (which I have purchased) expiring or being replaced with a new product that was really a continuation of Sonar called Radar or something and Cakewalk being able to "get out of" the lifetime updates because of a product name change.  With this Mac announcement, that paranoia sounds a little less "reaching", I think.

Must. Work. On. Trust.

Blades
www.blades.technology  - Technology Info and Tutorials for Music and Web
forkol
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 182
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/04/23 03:25:34 (permalink)
Blades
I was actually a little surprised when this news came out the other day.  Personally, I'm somewhere between "I don't care" and "yahoo" but there is definitely a bit of "you mislead people" with the release announcement.  For a few reasons, this is bothersome:
[...]

Yes, they stated when they did the quick demo that it wasn't some kind of "Bootcamp trick, but the real deal".  That to me was at least very misleading, if not just outright untrue.  If anything, this solution seems more 'trick' than straight Bootcamp.

Earwax
  • Total Posts : 242
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/04/23 04:31:42 (permalink)
bitman
Earwax

Thanks in advance!

Google: Cool hedgehogs never look back at the explosion

bitman! A hearty thanks. My daughter loved the video clip! Made my day.........

Pain - the absence of things hoped for, the evidence of catastrophes unforeseen.
Alex Westner [Cakewalk]
Administrator
  • Total Posts : 80
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/04/23 16:09:59 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Keni 2017/04/23 16:20:01
Blades

1. You said this as part of a MAJOR announcement and there was a LOT of fanfare around this statement to hype up what a big deal it was going to be.

2. You called it an ALPHA release.  Generally, this would be a release of a project that was being BUILD not one that was being "adapted" to another OS/CPU.  The whole idea that this was just a conversion and not a re-write for Mac was not what I was expecting (as someone who has no Mac interest and therefore didn't really care about such a release except that it seemed likely to disrupt the PC development) and I have to think that Mac people were pretty hurt by this news.

It kind of seems like if we suddenly heard that the labeling of "USDA 100% Organic" on food labels meant something like "we took the non-organic stuff and washed it in organic cleaners".

Again - I'm pretty happy in general that the end-result is that Cakewalk will continue to spend their time, money, and effort on enhancing the PC version of the software, but it doesn't give me great confidence in the MESSAGE that the company sends to their user base.  There was a lot of paranoia about the "lifetime updates" (which I have purchased) expiring or being replaced with a new product that was really a continuation of Sonar called Radar or something and Cakewalk being able to "get out of" the lifetime updates because of a product name change.  With this Mac announcement, that paranoia sounds a little less "reaching", I think.

Must. Work. On. Trust.

I agree with you that Cakewalk mishandled this announcement last summer, and both Cakewalk staff and customers are not super happy with how this SONAR Mac initiative played out - from beginning to end. We've damaged trust in the process, and we'll have to earn that back.

On the product side, we currently have three initiatives going on in parallel - SONAR is one, and the other two are new ideas that do not compete with SONAR, nor are they designed to replace SONAR.

So if you're a SONAR customer or a Lifetime Updates customer, going forward please know that we're solid on this product and this model - no bait and switch - you guys are our blood, and we want to do right by you.

Alex Westner
VP Product Strategy & Innovation

ampfixer
Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5508
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/04/23 17:47:35 (permalink)
Well now you've got my attention. That's quite a little tidbit for a Sunday afternoon. 

Regards, John 
 I want to make it clear that I am an Eedjit. I have no direct, or indirect, knowledge of business, the music industry, forum threads or the meaning of life. I know about amps.
WIN 10 Pro X64, I7-3770k 16 gigs, ASUS Z77 pro, AMD 7950 3 gig,  Steinberg UR44, A-Pro 500, Sonar Platinum, KRK Rokit 6 
Kamikaze
Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3013
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/04/23 17:59:20 (permalink)
Alex Westner [Cakewalk]

I agree with you that Cakewalk mishandled this announcement last summer, and both Cakewalk staff and customers are not super happy with how this SONAR Mac initiative played out - from beginning to end. We've damaged trust in the process, and we'll have to earn that back.

Cough "Staff View" Cough

Piotr
  • Total Posts : 208
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/04/23 19:55:52 (permalink)
Lance Riley [Cakewalk]
[...]
Third, we realized that trying to bring the full SONAR experience to the Mac would take away from what we do best - create the world's finest software for the Windows platform.
[...]

This was exactly what many of us suggested and was afraid of...

Regards,
Piotr
Sonar Platinum Lifetime
C Hudson
Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 990
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/04/23 20:25:45 (permalink)
Brian Walton
Have you actually run a 7 year old PC with Windows 10? I have and without any notable issue.

Yup, I did. Not a fan.

Best

CH
mudgel
  • Total Posts : 12010
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/04/23 23:29:59 (permalink)
C Hudson
Brian Walton

Yup, I did. Not a fan.

I'm running a 2011 HP laptop with Win 10 Pro. No problems.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
Brad Russell
  • Total Posts : 222
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/04/24 06:18:16 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby tlw 2017/04/25 18:34:55
You know, after years of loyalty to the Sonar product line I lost faith in the direction of the Company (during the Roland days). V-Studio support anyone?? That was a very disappointing season for the company. It was during that time that I switched to the Mac platform for audio production. Since Gibson has taken the helm it really seems that the company is innovating again and is on a firm footing. I love the direction the company is headed in, so I'm sad that the Mac version isn't happening. I like using products make by companies that are doing great things. Why not switch back if I like Sonar so much? Well, that's the deal. 

Much of the Mac vs. PC debate here is just silly. There are trade offs with everything. I know there are plenty of people who can share their experience, but I just thought I'd share mine. Here are the pros and cons of my experience for anyone who is interested. This is not a debate over which is better. This is an explanation of my experience.

Cons
1. Apple hardware is expensive when compared to PCs with comparable specs. A new computer set me back more than it had with a PC.
2. The company (Apple) has shifted it's focus away from the pro market to a large extent. This results in a frustratingly slow timeline for Product Line Updates. (Case in point - the Mac Pro)
3. The company seems to be preoccupied with features that work against the goals of the pro market. In MacBook Pro Line they sacrifice usability for size. This is also true for the Mac Pro. 
4. The annual release of a new OS tends to adversely affect 3rd party vendors (and ultimately the end user). Drivers break due to changes in core audio architecture. Vendors often delay updates by 90 days or so, to develop and test once the OS release candidate is deployed. 
5. The company has largely moved away from user upgradability for their products. Proprietary design for storage and weird decisions to solder things to the logic board stand in the way of upgrading hardware. I particularly dislike this.
6. The company tends to abandon it's own innovations in the name of progress causing inconvenience (even if temporary) to the end user. Firewire, Thunderbolt, Magsafe, etc. The PC market tends to adopt more "universal" :) standards which take longer to phase out. Backward compatability seems to be a higher value in the PC market.

Pros
1. The build quality and design is generally excellent. Unibody design, magsafe (now abandoned), trackpad, magic mouse, etc. Apple sets the bar in most cases. Of course, competition has become more fierce in this respect, but Apple builds quality products.
2. While the OS gets updated anually, the basic user interface remains the same in function. It gets an update aesthetically, but they don't change how you do basic things like launch apps, and power down. This, IMO, is a great strength. The company has always placed a high priority on the user experience, and they do not make sweeping changes because they know their users. There will always be those who say, "I don't like it. I like this or that." The fact still remains, this is a key to the loyalty of the user base.
3. Updates - while the frequency of security updates and bug fixes has increased some over the last few years, the experience is almost completely painless. I've not used Windows 10, so I can't give a current comparison, but my experience was that, almost immediately, using a computer became for more hassle free. It still is. (Especially where audio equipment is concerned) You just have to be careful with OS updates, and you're fine.
4. Logic - I love Sonar, and I'd love to have a Mac Version, but Logic is also a pleasure to use. That's not my point here, so I will not expound much. All I will say is this: At $199 it's a bargain. Since it's owned by Apple you don't have quirky issues with OS compatibility.

I'm not a Mac fanatic. I'm just a Mac user. If and when a Windows PC takes the lead providing a platform that doesn't get in the way, I just may switch. To me it's only about the work, not the equipment. I just want an experience that inspires me and doesn't get in the way.

Anyway, that's where I am. 

Peace to all.

Brad Russell 
www.bradrussellmusic.org

better5150
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 12
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/04/24 06:39:08 (permalink)
+1
Brad Russell
  • Total Posts : 222
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/04/24 07:16:34 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby FogAudio 2017/04/25 22:44:12
Alex Westner [Cakewalk]

On the product side, we currently have three initiatives going on in parallel - SONAR is one, and the other two are new ideas that do not compete with SONAR, nor are they designed to replace SONAR.

So if you're a SONAR customer or a Lifetime Updates customer, going forward please know that we're solid on this product and this model - no bait and switch - you guys are our blood, and we want to do right by you.

I have to say. I don't think the problem was as much about last summer's announcement as it was this week's. It's ok to fail at a noble idea if you just admit it and say "Sorry. Here's what we were able to accomplish on it. It's our gift to you." (Which is essentially what the first part of your announcement was) Why would you need to then list your great accomplishments for the product on the Windows Platform? For Mac users that's sort of the whole problem. That's like promising your kids a trip to Disney World, realizing you don't have the money, and then saying, "Hey, but I rebuilt the carborator in that 57 Chevy that everybody loves, and then I built a great tree fort for the next door neighbor's kids." The announcement did little to appease the Mac users who were hoping for good news. I think most people had pretty much decided it wasn't going to happen anyway. This sort of made it look like the effort was thrown together to meet an obligation and then claimed to be the goal all along. Maybe that's not how it was, but that's honestly what I thought.  Now, I'm sure the announcement was great to bolster confidence among current Sonar users. It underscored you commitment to the Windows platform. Maybe that was the point, but it left me scratching my head. 

Anyway, no harm no foul. It was just a few months of hopeful expectation. That's not a terrible thing. 

Brad Russell 
www.bradrussellmusic.org

tenfoot
Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2186
Re: The SONAR Mac Prototype, a collaboration between Cakewalk and CodeWeavers 2017/04/24 08:13:06 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby chuckebaby 2017/04/24 11:20:10
Is it just me,  or are some people making a bit much of this? Cakewalk decided to give a mac version a try, then decided in the long run it wasn't worth their while. Sonar will carry on. You can boot camp your mac or there are other native DAW's for macOS. Not that serious in the grand scheme of things really.

You would think that Cakewalk had promised a lifetime of happiness only to leave us standing at the alter:)

Bruce.

Sonar Platinum 2017-09, Studio One 3.5.3, Win 10 x64, Quad core i7, RME Fireface, Behringer X32 Producer, Behringer X32 Rack, Presonus Faderport, Lemure Software Controller (Android), Enttec DMXIS VST lighting controller, Xtempo POK.
Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 6 of 11
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1