The most famous person you've met?

Page: << < ..6789 > Showing page 8 of 9
Author
bapu
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 86000
RE: The most famous person you've met? 2009/06/22 13:55:22 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Jonbouy

ORIGINAL: No How

He was about 3 feet tall (so it seemed )....quite a shock.

I remember having a similar shock on seeing Roger Daltrey...

I guess these guys have to be small to fit on TV.

My TV is on 18". I know I shouldn't be braggin'. I'm just sayin'.

DaveSchuler
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 52
RE: The most famous person you've met? 2009/06/22 16:54:31 (permalink)
I always like name-dropping threads. Lots of good reads above!

I'm sure the most famous person I sort-of met was President Bill Clinton. I muscled my way through a bunch of college students and got to shake his hand as he made his way down the line.

Most recently, my 8-year-old son's friend told me that his dad was a rock star. I figured that he was a "rock star" in the same sense that I was, but I Googled Bobby Hewitt and found that he was the drummer for a pretty successful LA band called "Orgy." More impressive for me was that Bobby's lovely and really sweet wife Shannon had quite a career of her own, going by the name "Shane." I'll leave it at that.

An actress named "Samantha Style" comes to see our band sometimes.

I peed next to former Intel Corporation CEO Craig Barrett (at the time he was my boss's boss's boss's boss's boss).

Shook hands with Geoff Emerick at an AES convention.

Met Chick Corea at a meet-n-greet after a concert/clinic he gave at my university.

Accompanied Randy Brecker at a jazz festival at the same university.

Opened for and met lots of bands back in the 80's/90's:
INXS (very stuffy)
Billy Preston (decent fellow, but more interested in getting to whatever he had in his dressing room than most anything else. stage manager was a hottie who got me in trouble with my girlfriend)
Don and Phil Everly (nice guys)
Bad Company (nice guys)
The Guess Who (nice guys)
Three Dog Night (sans Chuck Negron. Nice guys)
Nicollette Larson (nice lady. piano player was a prick. stage manager was a bigger prick)
The Replacements (drunk and obnoxious)
Bob Dylan's son-in-law Peter Himmelman (nice guy)
Wendy O Williams and the Plasmatics (Wendy was very nice. The guys in her band were jerks. The guitar player got kicked out of an after-party, and slipped on the ice and fell flat on his back after flipping everybody off... VERY amusing)

When I was a young teen I competed in a Yamaha organ contest and met several celebrity judges at the national finals (where I lost).
Dick Clark
Jimmy Smith
Marvin Hamlisch
Chuck Mangione
Melissa Manchester

Ooops. Almost forgot that I met my then-idol Keith Emerson at a radio station where he was being interviewed prior to a concert, shortly after ELP's ill-fated tour with the full orchestra.
post edited by DaveSchuler - 2009/06/22 17:10:11
bapu
RE: The most famous person you've met? 2009/06/22 17:53:54 (permalink)
Melissa Manchester

My ex-wife met her through a friend.
Jonbouy
  • Total Posts : 22562
RE: The most famous person you've met? 2009/06/22 18:14:08 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: bapu

Melissa Manchester

My ex-wife met her through a friend.

If she was a friend wouldn't it have been more polite to have gone 'round' her?

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
bapu
RE: The most famous person you've met? 2009/06/22 18:58:03 (permalink)
No, her friend was the transparent kind. You know, vapid.
post edited by bapu - 2009/06/22 19:10:18
DaveSchuler
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 52
RE: The most famous person you've met? 2009/06/22 21:17:01 (permalink)
You see... I like these name-dropping threads so much that I'll tell you about the time this guy I've never met, but who posts on another forum, almost met Tony Bennett at some office building in New York. The guy whom I've never met, but who posts on another forum, had just gotten into an elevator... when up trots Tony Bennett, calling for him to hold the car. So the guy who posts on the other forum (and whom I've never net) went to hit the Open Door button, but missed his mark and pressed the Close Door button instead. The guy... says he'll never forget the "WTF" look on Tony Bennett's face as the door closed in front of him.
Jonbouy
RE: The most famous person you've met? 2009/06/22 22:12:00 (permalink)
No, her friend was the transparent kind.

Yeah a lot of my friend's have been like that.

You can never tell though until you've seen right through 'em.
post edited by Jonbouy - 2009/06/22 22:23:09

Moshkiae
Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6111
RE: The most famous person you've met? 2009/06/23 08:42:15 (permalink)
Hi,

Compared to the really famous people and literary figures that we met as youngsters, as I said before, a lot of rock music and sports people just didn't cut it with me ... specially when so many of them were just vain and I mean VAIN ... and it was obvious to me that it was an excuse for what they did ... and in at least one situation ... it was a really good excuse to get laid by 2 or 3 girls a night!

To me, it is much more important that I believe in me ... and if I meet A or B, has absolutely no merit in my talent and ability ... I still have to make it on my own, as they are not gonna help me, or you! They are too busy with themselves ... which is the real clue as to how good they are and how professional they are ... they are not afraid of losing their "fame" ... and so many of those I have seen were overly concerned with their People magazine picture ... you'll have to excuse me ... I'm jsut not into that media kissash frenzy! These are all people like you and I!

It's just astonishing to me that no one said ... mom ... or dad ... or my daughter ... or my son ... or my wife ... or my husband ...
post edited by Moshkiae - 2009/06/23 08:53:55
leapinlizard
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 428
RE: The most famous person you've met? 2009/06/23 17:12:00 (permalink)
Wow, you're talkin' my language now! Moby Grape and CJ and the Fish are two of my favorite 60's bands. And, I went to a weekend party in Ben Lomond back in the early seventies - what a beautiful place. There was a little state park near there that was like walking in a magic forest ... or was it the chemicals? Great memories - thanks!

ORIGINAL: CLEAN

When I lived in Ben Lomond, CA - up in the hills - the late Skip Spence and Jerry Miller from Moby Grape lived in next door to me - partied with them all the time - Chicken Hirsch, the drummer from Country Joe and The Fish used to come over all the time and party with us too.

That was cool.

And, please don't ask "who?" - makes me feel old.

"Surf music will never die." -- LeapinLizard, 1963
"We may never hear surf music again." -- Jimi Hendrix, 1967. 
whattarush
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 713
RE: The most famous person you've met? 2009/06/24 09:58:17 (permalink)
I met the late Maynard Jackson, the first African-American Mayor of Atlanta. He served two terms in office her in Atlanta and the airport was renamed to Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport after his death.

"When your moving in the positive, your destination is the brightest star"!!! www.elmarqrecords.com/ www.reverbnation.com/label/elmarqrecordsllc" www.facebook.com/pages/ElMarq-Records/160103362281 "Never look down on anyone UNLESS you're picking them up!"
Mooch4056
Max Output Level: -0.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7494
Re: RE: The most famous person you've met? 2010/09/01 15:24:58 (permalink)

I met Samual Loupezinski once 

From Now On Call Me Conquistador! 

Donate to the cure Bapu Foundation
Email: mooch4056@gmail.com for more info

bapu
Re: RE: The most famous person you've met? 2010/09/01 17:46:45 (permalink)
WHAT!?
ohgrant
Max Output Level: -35.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3966
Re: RE: The most famous person you've met? 2010/09/01 18:47:43 (permalink)
When I was growing up, my father, my sister and me sang in the Civic Choral Society, an area choir with members from several area churches. We did mostly the classics but Steve also had a love for Jazz and he somehow managed to get Dave Brubeck to come to town to direct a piece that he wrote. TBO I never heard of him and didn't really enjoy his choir music at the time, not until a year or so ago did I discover what a pioneer he was in Jazz. My favorite piece that we did was Randal Thomson's "Peaceable Kingdom" He returned to do another with the CCS, but I was in the service and missed it. My Grandmother graduated with Dean Martin other than that, Bapu is the most famous person I've meet.

Me

timidi
Max Output Level: -21 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5449
Re: RE: The most famous person you've met? 2010/09/01 19:25:33 (permalink)
Herman Munster and Grandpa at a restaraunt. Nice guys.
Jimmy Smith (he used to buy drugs from my roomate)
Larry Carlton. (I gave him a CD. Does that count?)
Robben Ford. Took a lesson from him.
Chris Frantz (drummer from talking heads. he was my roadie in high school. ouch)
Quincy Jones sort of. (He was behind the glass as I auditioned for him)
Jay Graydon (pitchin a song)
Johnny Paycheck.. Worked with him.
Roger Moore. (in an airport. I said something stupid like 'got a parachute in yer pocket'?) 
Stevie Nicks. Drunk in a limo. her chauffer dated my other roomate.............LOL
Santa Claus. (I lent him a crowbar)

post edited by timidi - 2010/09/01 19:26:54

ASUS P8P67, i7-2600K, CORSAIR 16GB, HIS 5450, 3 Samsung SSD 850, Win7 64, RME AIO.

https://timbowman.bandcamp.com/releases

BIABDude
Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 676
Re: RE: The most famous person you've met? 2010/09/01 20:24:06 (permalink)
my favorite two are the late greats John Belushi and Walter Payton
BIABDude
Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 676
Re: RE: The most famous person you've met? 2010/09/01 20:29:44 (permalink)
Oh, and Weird Al Yankovic who was out with the most incredibly gorgeous woman Ive ever seen!
Jonbouy
Re: RE: The most famous person you've met? 2010/09/01 20:32:22 (permalink)
The most famous person Bapu has met will be me after Monday.

Unless Strummy can beat me being in the paper for streaking through town in a pair of purple espadrilles by then.

Which could happen.

(or could it?)

LJB
Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1502
Re: RE: The most famous person you've met? 2010/09/02 04:55:20 (permalink)
Juliette Lewis - I spent 30 minutes chatting to her backstage at The Apollo, UK while she was taking off her make-up after a play she did. She's fascinated with African music and that's what we talked about.

Harvey Mason (Drummer) - Recorded him last Thursday on a roof in Johannesburg for a Jazz TV show. He did the interview and then played a drum solo whilst calling members from the audience on to stage to do scats, clap along and chant stuff. Amazing.

Jenna Elfmann - she heard my band and bought a CD a a gig!

Richard Branson - he was out in SA to promote some Virgin company (the gyms, I think). He met everyone at the door and I tried to talk music to him, but he was all "Oh, I don't do that anymore.." Sad.

Kristin Bauer (True Blood) - she's now married to my lead singer (The Lemmings) so that's unfair, I suppose. We spent two days together two weeks ago in Cape Town.

David Campbell (String arranger) - not famous, but IMO THE arranger in rock music, and Beck's dad. I went to his daughter's showcase in a little venue in LA, and he came over to us (I knew a friend of his) and said "Hi, I'm David".  I told him I was a fan of his work, and he was very humble and almost shy, actually.

I once jammed with an Indian percussionist called Sivamani. Ravi Shankar rates him as the best living perc player on earth. I must say, he wasn't bad :O)

Ludwig Bouwer, One Big Room Studios.
--------------------
Cakewalk
with all the trimmings / Win 10Pro 64 / Intel i7-7700 / Asus Prime Z270k / 16GB DDR4 / RME HDSP9652 / RME UFX / Black Lion Audio ADA8000 / ART MPA & ART Pro Channel / Focusrite Voicemaster Pro / Aphex 107

Check out my work at www.onebigroom.co.za

bapu
Re: RE: The most famous person you've met? 2010/09/02 11:49:10 (permalink)
Mooch4056

I met Samual Loupezinski once 

But you've no pictures to prove it, do you?

EasTexGuy
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 160
Re: RE: The most famous person you've met? 2010/09/02 12:34:45 (permalink)
Hmmm interesting reads and lotsa names and I s'pose I should add my own...

1972 - I was a late-teener pestering the local radio station for a part time dj job. Hometown station type. I did psa's and some promo stuff. Taped some commercials, etc. I was in the recording room one day when in walks the local (only) black dj. Windel did a 4 hour Motown show every Saturday. Behind him comes this other fellow. At the time my voice was such that I could do a near perfect imitation of Flip Wilson "Geraldine" character, and I'd done many promos for Windel. Windel turns to the fellow and says, "Rufus, I'd like you to meet my man Drue. Drue, this is Rufus Thomas." That was pretty special. We did several promos together for a live gig Windel was producing.

1974 (I think) - I was the bass singer in a country gospel group made up of kids I graduated with. One of the local churches organized a gospel concert at the local high school auditorium. The feature was the Stamps Quartet. We were a part of the show and a perk was meeting the Stamps. I got to spend some time with J. D. Sumner. The was pretty special.

Mid `90s (not sure of the year. it was recent, I'm older, memory gone to hell) My wife worked for the county Chamber of Commerce. I never went to the annual banquet except this year. The company I worked for carried the staff and I went. Guest speaker that night was George Bush (II). I dang near ran over him going in the front door, shook his hand and excused myself. After the show I got to meet, speak and shake the hand of the president while he was Governor of the Great State of Texas.

My Rig: Sonar X1 Studio - Vista 32 on AMD Quad Core @ 3ghz w/4 gig ram - Lexicon Lambda - Assorted Nuts, Bolts & Plugins - More Talent on order as well.
dmbaer
Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2585
Re:The most famous person you've met? 2010/09/02 17:04:52 (permalink)
When I was in junior high, I was brazenly approached Dave Brubeck after a performance, shook his hand and got his autograph.  I was also once introduced to Lynn Regrave.  But neither of those encounters really count as "knowing" someone famous.

In the seventies, I was for a time the photographer for the Berkeley Repertory Theater.  Several of the actors who I got to know somewhat well later acheived a degree of fame.  I would say the most successful was Joe Spano, best known for the roll of Henry Goldbloom in Hill Street Blues.  Another actor named Scott Paulin was frequently seen in various movies and TV shows.  His most notable role was probably astronaut Deke Slayton in The Right Stuff.

As for people I've known *after* they became famous (by famous, I mean their name is known by many many people who they've never met), there are two.  Nic McGegan is the conductor of the Baroque Philharmonia Orchestra, which is world famous for its period instrument performances of "early" music.  Nic and his partner have actually been over to my house for dinner on several occassions.  I've also had lunch with Dan Piraro, the artist responsible for the Bizarro cartoon.  Contrary to what you might expect, Dan is one of the sanest people I've ever met ... an absolutely lovely individual.  He visits the west coast fairly frequently, but I've been unsuccessful in getting him to my house for dinner, in spite of the fact that he and his lovely wife are vegans and I'm reasonably accomplished at vegetarian cooking.
post edited by dmbaer - 2010/09/02 17:05:58
bapu
Re:The most famous person you've met? 2010/09/02 18:03:09 (permalink)
Me?

I've not met Mooch (yet).

I've talked with someone on the phone who claims to be Mooch.

But with all the identity theft going on today, Mooch may well really be DKNY (or Plummy).

eikelbijter
Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1002
Re: RE: The most famous person you've met? 2010/09/02 23:34:56 (permalink)
Played "Tide Is High" with Debbie Harry, with Melissa Etheridge/Lisa Marie Presley/Jenna Elfman singing backup, at Kirstie Alley's house!

R

Xeon E3-1231V3, 16GB RAM, 480GB 840EVO SSD, MOTU 2480MK3, 424PCI w/ Sonar Platinum
Dell XPS 18, i5, 12GB RAM, 500GB SSD+128GB SSD, Roland VS-100 w/ Sonar Platinum

Dell XPS 13, i5, 8GB RAM, 256GB 840EVO SSD, Zoom UAC-2, Sonar Platinum

http://www.RicoBelled.com/

Jonbouy
Re: RE: The most famous person you've met? 2010/09/02 23:52:19 (permalink)
eikelbijter

Played "Tide Is High" with Debbie Harry, with Melissa Etheridge/Lisa Marie Presley/Jenna Elfman singing backup, at Kirstie Alley's house!

R

You mean you were among this company and all you came up with was playing 'The Tide is High'?

You could have at least tried having a dizzy spell and fainted to see if they'd all gather around fussing and trying to revive you!...

Sounds like a good night anyway though.

SteveStrummerUK
  • Total Posts : 31112
Re: RE: The most famous person you've met? 2010/09/03 03:28:09 (permalink)
Jonbouy

The most famous person Bapu has met will be me after Monday.

Unless Strummy can beat me being in the paper for streaking through town in a pair of purple espadrilles by then.

Which could happen.

(or could it?)

Not a chance JB...

My espadrilles are turquoise

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

Glyn Barnes
Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7564
Re: RE: The most famous person you've met? 2010/09/03 03:30:52 (permalink)
Influential English folk singer Martin Carthy, he was running a song "workshop" in a pub during the Wadebridge folk festival in Cornwall in the 1970's. There were a couple of dozen of us there at most. A couple of weeks before I was part of a much bigger audience watching him in Steeleye Span.

I had dinner once with one of King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia's sons. He could not have been that famous though because I can't remember his name, except it seemed to go on for ever and had Bin Abdul Aziz and Bin Saud in it. - Nice guy, we had just move our oil exploration camp into the area and he sent his people across to invite us to dinner.

Intel i7 3770K @4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, 240GB SSD System disk, 2 x 2TB and 1 x 1TB (with SSD Cache) HDD. Windows 10,  Sonar Platinum. Roland Quad Capture. 
Music - Switchwater on Soundclick
Music - Goldry Bluszco on Soundcloud
Moshkiae
Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6111
RE: The most famous person you've met? 2010/09/03 14:42:14 (permalink)
Jonbouy

The most famous person you've met?

Napoleon Bonaparte - just appeared through my front wall.

That was a good song ... Bona part 1 and 2 ... let's see ... it was Budgie I think!

As a wise Guy once stated from his holy chapala ... none of the hits, none of the time ... prevents you from becoming just another turkey in the middle of all the other turkeys! 

jamesg1213
  • Total Posts : 21760
RE: The most famous person you've met? 2010/09/03 14:47:03 (permalink)
I got knocked over by Ed 'Stewpot' Stewart once. I was only 11.

Shared a lift with Professor Heinz Wollf. He didn't acknowledge me.

Served a hot-dog to Peter Scudamore. He walked off without paying.

Celebs eh? Bunch o' ******* ****-****** *******

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
Glyn Barnes
Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7564
RE: The most famous person you've met? 2010/09/05 08:17:37 (permalink)
jamesg1213

I got knocked over by Ed 'Stewpot' Stewart once. I was only 11.

Ray Reardon nearly knocked me off my motorbike about 35 years ago, I knew it was him because of the personalised number plates.

Intel i7 3770K @4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, 240GB SSD System disk, 2 x 2TB and 1 x 1TB (with SSD Cache) HDD. Windows 10,  Sonar Platinum. Roland Quad Capture. 
Music - Switchwater on Soundclick
Music - Goldry Bluszco on Soundcloud
quibb
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 308
RE: The most famous person you've met? 2010/09/06 04:20:58 (permalink)
I shook Scott Glenn's hand once.  I don't think he really wanted to though  :-)   Actually he was pretty cool, and happened to be my favorite actor at the time (Silverado).
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001277/

I'm from Utah and you can't go anywhere without running into an Osmond or two. I also ran into the 'Joe Isuzu' guy on the street in Park City.

Vernon

I7, 8GB, Win 7 64-bit, Sonar Platinum, R11 driver, Focusrite Pro40, Helios II fly rod

Page: << < ..6789 > Showing page 8 of 9
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1