The most famous person you've met?

Page: << < ..6789 Showing page 9 of 9
Author
Russell.Whaley
Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2755
RE: The most famous person you've met? 2010/09/06 20:23:57 (permalink)
I can only lay claim to a bunch of "bumps and near-misses" - 

• I met Mark Collie (country singer) when he came to our radio station in the early 90s.  I was producing a talk show in those days... so I got to talk to a few "names" on the phone - Gordon Liddy, and Mike Farrell (BJ on M*A*S*H) were a couple I can remember from those days. 
  • A few years before that, Bob Hope came through our community to do a show, and all of we newsies went out to the airport for a q&a session.  I managed to get into the front row of reporters, and spent about 20 minutes 3' away from the man.  Incredible, at almost 90 years of age, he was hard of hearing but mentally still very sharp.
  • And, my personal favorite - getting to ride along with the US Army's Golden Knights parachute team when they went up to jump. They double-strapped me in by the jump door so I could lean out (at altitude) to take pictures of their jump. What a great bunch of guys.
The best stories I personally know are from my dad.  He played French Horn in the USAF's 505th band in the late 1940s and early 1950s, and some other pro work later.  He then taught composition for many years.  Over the decades, his work brought him in contact with the likes of Dizzy Gillespie, Buddy Rich, and a number of other major players of the big band and "primal jazz" eras. 

He had his adventures, too - he was at a convention in Philadelphia sometime in the 1980s and heard that there was a gala being thrown for Eugene Ormandy's 80th or 90th birthday.  He put on a tux and went to the hotel where the party was.  He went up the stairs to the floor of the event, got in line, shook hands with the maestro, and managed to get out before security nabbed him.  These days, it would be hard to get away with something like that.

Fun thread, folks.  I'm enjoying it.

57Gregy
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14404
RE: The most famous person you've met? 2010/09/06 22:18:14 (permalink)
This thread is kinda old and I think I already mentioned a few 'brushes with the famous', although there is no "I contributed to this thread" icon (maybe because it was started before that device was implemented?)
John Travolta getting gas at my friend's gas station in Goleta; Spud Webb and Charles Shackleford eating at the same Red Lobster me and some friends were eating at.
A new one is Tom Burleson is a semi-regular at my WalMart*.

Some more "they passed me" moments many might consider political disasters: Saw JFK just a few days before he was assasinated; saw Nixon a few days before he was elected.

Greg 
I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
Jim622
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 24
Re: RE: The most famous person you've met? 2010/09/06 23:49:02 (permalink)
Pissed in the urinal next to Rick Derringer at the Great American Guitar Show - Philadelphia
savageopera
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 625
Re: RE: The most famous person you've met? 2010/09/07 01:12:43 (permalink)
Eric Burdon, Leon Russell, Lou Graham, Boxcar Willie..............Eric, Leon, and Lou were sterling gentlemen, Willie was an ass.

Sonar Artist, HP Laptop, AMD A8700 , 1T+250g, M-Audio Fast Track Ultra ,Roland 88 Hammer action, Roland AX-1, M-audio 88es, Arturia minilabII......When I was young I wanted to become a mad scientist. I achieved everything except the "scientist" part....http://www.soundclick.com/savageopera
Page: << < ..6789 Showing page 9 of 9
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1