Will Sonar ever be coded for Mac???

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 6
Author
jackn2mpu
Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2765
Re:Will Sonar ever be coded for Mac??? 2010/07/08 06:20:18 (permalink)
Lemonboy

I would love a Mac-native version of Sonar. My pc daw computer is dying and I find I'm doing more and more work in Digital Performer on my Mac Powerbook. Looking for a MacPro desktop and I will not Bootcamp it to run a cruddy OS like Winblows. Tis a shame because I truly love Sonar (started with S3P, then S5P and now S8.3.1P) and work on autopilot in it. The Mac OS is so much more elegant. Want to run multiple audio interfaces in OSX? Create an aggregate device in the OS and you're done. No special drivers needed like on the Windoze side.

Each to their own as far as BootCamp (and Apple/Mac) goes, but if all you are going to do is boot up and stay in Windows for the entire session, then BootCamp works very well and IMO totally unobtrusively.  If you are going to need to switch OS's during a session then it is a bit of a PITA and I don't think any of the VM's are up to job as yet.  I'd happily run a crappy OS for a really good DAW than a great OS for an OK DAW.  

But yes it would be great to have a version of Sonar (or similar styled Cakewalk DAW) running natively on the Mac, but I can't see it happening.

Andy

Andy:
This is where I have heartburn: I will not run a crappy OS for a piece of great software in general (and daws in this particular instance). I have spent too many years fighting Windows in it's various forms compared to the ease and elegance of the various Mac OS's - I go as far back with Apples to the Apple 1 and Macs to the old System 6 days with a Mac SE and Windows to Win 3.1 and DOS way back in the day. I just don't have the patience anymore to put up with Windoze's shortcomings and gotchas. That's also part of the reason I haven't 'upgraded' to Sonar 8.5 - current pc doesn't have the power to adequately run the new version and I will not EVER sink money into a Winbox to do so.

Yes, I love Sonar but I'm not so xenophobic that I can't use another daw and OS. As said earlier, my current alternate daw is Digital Performer 6 and OSX Tiger. Yes, it's different but at the same time it's making me re-think they way I work and what I do. Like I also said earlier I can work pretty much on autopilot in Sonar but that also means I've gotten stale with it and fallen into a rut. Everything was starting to sound the same. Using DP is getting me out into the fresh air as it were. Is it better than Sonar? Not necessarily but time will tell one way or the other.

And yes, I'm also mucking about with ProTools in a Mac-based studio I have access to. Now THAT'S a learning experience getting behind the glass in that situation.

Jack
Qapla!
...wicked
Max Output Level: -1.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7360
Re:Will Sonar ever be coded for Mac??? 2010/07/08 10:54:46 (permalink)
While you're certainly entitled to your opinion, you have to realize it's just that. And even given that it's hardly a compelling reason for Cakewalk to develop a Mac version of one of their products.

I actually now use a Mac laptop for all my bread and butter computing and am very fond of it. And if I could afford an all-Mac setup I might even switch over to a DAW that's Mac based (Logic I guess). But, the PC platform has been very good to me. Extremely affordable and allows far more configuration tweaks than the Mac platform. Furthermore, since I've been able to build my own DAWs through the years I now know far more about computers than if I would've just gotten a killer Mac and been pleased with my OS experience.

Sure, it hasn't always been a great ride...hardware and software problems alike. But Windows as an OS hasn't really stood in my way of making music for quite some time. And when I do have problems the answer is rarely more than a Google search away. Troubleshooting my Mac problems though, even though they're less frequent, leaves me far more confounded. 

Believe it or not, they're are people who hate Macs and just adore Windows. It's a crazy world.

===========
The Fog People
===========

Intel i7-4790 
16GB RAM
ASUS Z97 
Roland OctaCapture
Win10/64   

SONAR Platinum 64-bit    
billions VSTs, some of which work    
ohhey
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 11676
Re:Will Sonar ever be coded for Mac??? 2010/07/08 11:14:52 (permalink)
...wicked

While you're certainly entitled to your opinion, you have to realize it's just that. And even given that it's hardly a compelling reason for Cakewalk to develop a Mac version of one of their products.

I actually now use a Mac laptop for all my bread and butter computing and am very fond of it. And if I could afford an all-Mac setup I might even switch over to a DAW that's Mac based (Logic I guess). But, the PC platform has been very good to me. Extremely affordable and allows far more configuration tweaks than the Mac platform. Furthermore, since I've been able to build my own DAWs through the years I now know far more about computers than if I would've just gotten a killer Mac and been pleased with my OS experience.

Sure, it hasn't always been a great ride...hardware and software problems alike. But Windows as an OS hasn't really stood in my way of making music for quite some time. And when I do have problems the answer is rarely more than a Google search away. Troubleshooting my Mac problems though, even though they're less frequent, leaves me far more confounded. 

Believe it or not, they're are people who hate Macs and just adore Windows. It's a crazy world.

Makes you wonder why the Mac only DAW makes don't have a Windows version ? It's a huge market and yet they just ignore it and stick with their tiny Mac market.   Even one hardware maker I doesn't support Windows, Apogee. It seems that like customers some vendors just choose to stick to their core competency. Maybe that is OK. We should leave them alone and let them do that. I would never want them to waste time and money on something they don't believe in.
tarsier
Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3029
Re:Will Sonar ever be coded for Mac??? 2010/07/08 15:34:16 (permalink)

Believe it or not, they're are people who hate Macs and just adore Windows

As a user of both platforms, I'll just say that I hate them both about equally.

Phooey. I broke my rule against posting in a mac/windows thread. I'll just have to put another dollar in the mac vs. pc jar.

post edited by tarsier - 2010/07/08 15:35:19
chriso1515
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 48
Re:Will Sonar ever be coded for Mac??? 2010/07/08 19:29:53 (permalink)
i would *love* to see sonar running natively on a mac.
SongCraft
Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3902
Re:Will Sonar ever be coded for Mac??? 2010/07/08 20:18:43 (permalink)
Will Sonar ever be coded for Mac???

CW has repeatedly said; No.

What I would love to see is CW working more closely with MS to develop a special O/S edition that is specifically optimized and configured for audio and video production.

Windows 7 AV Edition to include all the drivers for most audio interfaces and if not by default install when getting Windows update.

Unobtrusive Security Suite:
Special edition of WIndows Essential Security Suite that does not in anyway hinder AV production.

Excellent Backup and Restore:
Backup - complete 'Mirror Image' for everything, setups, configurations, plugins, activations protection and project files with your choice of media; DVD, HD, USB-stick, online, whatever (your choice).

Included Free Software:
Windows 7 AV Edition that includes free version of SONAR Core Edition (a lean cut-down) version of Studio/Producer, thereby the same powerful editing features but minus the additional plugins except for TTS, GrooveSynth, DropZone, and sonitus.fxs and limited to 48 tracks)! For video; Sony Movie Studio.

Of course the Windows 7 AV Edition will cost fraction more, but worth it considering and especially for newbies, also tempting for anyone considering the move from Mac to PC/Windows platform and give newbies a taste of what SONAR can do then hopefully move up to Producer edition :)

Anyway, that's my suggestion and oh well.... dream on :lol:

-

Tap
Max Output Level: -30 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4536
Re:Will Sonar ever be coded for Mac??? 2010/07/09 00:05:15 (permalink)
What I would love to see is CW working more closely with MS to develop a special O/S edition that is specifically optimized and configured for audio and video production.

For Microsoft to do that, I believe they would have to finally dump their Preemptive Multitasking OS and go to something more robust like say a unix based OS like Apple did. But there already are many versions of Linux that run on x86 platforms for free and they are virtually virus free. Hmmmm..... I don't see any money for Microsoft in that approach.

MC4 - M-Audio FW410 / Behringer UCA202 - Fender Strat / Jazzmaster / DuoSonic / Washburn / Peavy Foundation M-Audio Radium 49 Roland Juno 106 / JazzChorus / Seymore Duncan Convertible - HP A1230N ( AMD Athalon 3800+ 2G Ram + 200G HD )

http://soundclick.com/cut2thechaise

chilldanny
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 830
Re:Will Sonar ever be coded for Mac??? 2010/07/09 00:23:16 (permalink)
I do think that some tight intergration between Intel-Microsoft-Cakewalk/Roland
would be a killer combo and would force the industry to take notice.
post edited by chilldanny - 2010/07/09 00:24:33

* Windows10 (x64), Focusrite Safire Pro24, Sonar Platinum (x64) * MacOS High Sierra, Logic Pro X, Ableton Live 9 *

Danny M
SongCraft
Re:Will Sonar ever be coded for Mac??? 2010/07/10 02:22:57 (permalink)
Tap

For Microsoft to do that, I believe they would have to finally dump their Preemptive Multitasking OS and go to something more robust like say a unix based OS like Apple did. But there already are many versions of Linux that run on x86 platforms for free and they are virtually virus free. Hmmmm..... I don't see any money for Microsoft in that approach.

No, that's not what I meant.

SongCraft
Re:Will Sonar ever be coded for Mac??? 2010/07/10 02:52:35 (permalink)
chilldanny

I do think that some tight intergration between Intel-Microsoft-Cakewalk/Roland
would be a killer combo and would force the industry to take notice.

Yes! :)

Simply providing a tighter, smoother integration of audio and video production.  Tweaked - priority configured for 'optimal audio and video production', SONAR and Movie Studio included in the install, thereby ready to rock! Simple and ideal for anyone starting out in Audio/Video Production.

It's still Windows, the usual compatibility with third-party plugins and whatever other software compatible with Windows. Thereby not exclusively a totally different O/S.

Benefits such as; on install have drivers readily available and if not available by default install then thru Windows Update Service; it scans the PC, finds your hardware such as Audio Interface then asks... would you like to install the latest most up-to-date drivers? {Click OK}, then it downloads and installs it for you, (For the more advance users of course there would be options) so basically it makes setting up a DAW much more easier and efficient 'which would be ideal for newbies' and with SONAR pre-installed (when installing the O/S) it's a positive for CW.  :)

C Hudson
Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 990
Re:Will Sonar ever be coded for Mac??? 2010/07/10 11:09:54 (permalink)
jackn2mpu

Lemonboy

I would love a Mac-native version of Sonar. My pc daw computer is dying and I find I'm doing more and more work in Digital Performer on my Mac Powerbook. Looking for a MacPro desktop and I will not Bootcamp it to run a cruddy OS like Winblows. Tis a shame because I truly love Sonar (started with S3P, then S5P and now S8.3.1P) and work on autopilot in it. The Mac OS is so much more elegant. Want to run multiple audio interfaces in OSX? Create an aggregate device in the OS and you're done. No special drivers needed like on the Windoze side.

Each to their own as far as BootCamp (and Apple/Mac) goes, but if all you are going to do is boot up and stay in Windows for the entire session, then BootCamp works very well and IMO totally unobtrusively.  If you are going to need to switch OS's during a session then it is a bit of a PITA and I don't think any of the VM's are up to job as yet.  I'd happily run a crappy OS for a really good DAW than a great OS for an OK DAW.  

But yes it would be great to have a version of Sonar (or similar styled Cakewalk DAW) running natively on the Mac, but I can't see it happening.

Andy

Andy:
This is where I have heartburn: I will not run a crappy OS for a piece of great software in general (and daws in this particular instance). I have spent too many years fighting Windows in it's various forms compared to the ease and elegance of the various Mac OS's - I go as far back with Apples to the Apple 1 and Macs to the old System 6 days with a Mac SE and Windows to Win 3.1 and DOS way back in the day. I just don't have the patience anymore to put up with Windoze's shortcomings and gotchas. That's also part of the reason I haven't 'upgraded' to Sonar 8.5 - current pc doesn't have the power to adequately run the new version and I will not EVER sink money into a Winbox to do so.

Yes, I love Sonar but I'm not so xenophobic that I can't use another daw and OS. As said earlier, my current alternate daw is Digital Performer 6 and OSX Tiger. Yes, it's different but at the same time it's making me re-think they way I work and what I do. Like I also said earlier I can work pretty much on autopilot in Sonar but that also means I've gotten stale with it and fallen into a rut. Everything was starting to sound the same. Using DP is getting me out into the fresh air as it were. Is it better than Sonar? Not necessarily but time will tell one way or the other.

And yes, I'm also mucking about with ProTools in a Mac-based studio I have access to. Now THAT'S a learning experience getting behind the glass in that situation.

Interesting.
I had no apple experience till I bought my first Mac a year and a half ago. It crashes infinitly more than my Windows DAW, or any of my windows machines for that matter. I find the Mac very "do it my way" where there are several ways to access the same things in windows. A great DAW does not mean a thing if your OS crashes. Windows just does not die on me. OSX 10.5-6 does. Thats all I need to know.
I think rewritting the code for OSX would be a waste of time and money. Cakewalk obviously thinks the same...

Best

CH
jackn2mpu
Re:Will Sonar ever be coded for Mac??? 2010/07/10 12:21:13 (permalink)
C Hudson

Interesting.
I had no apple experience till I bought my first Mac a year and a half ago. It crashes infinitly more than my Windows DAW, or any of my windows machines for that matter. I find the Mac very "do it my way" where there are several ways to access the same things in windows. A great DAW does not mean a thing if your OS crashes. Windows just does not die on me. OSX 10.5-6 does. Thats all I need to know.
I think rewritting the code for OSX would be a waste of time and money. Cakewalk obviously thinks the same...

Interesting - did you try and get into the way things works on a Mac or did you go in with the usual prejudice that a long-term Windoze users does? If you do that then yes, you will have problems. If you stick to mainstream programs when running a Mac and stay away from the freebie junk on the web then you're okay. DP - solid as a rock. Ditto for Photoshop on a Mac. Firefox - good there as well. As long as a program follows Apple's guidelines then everyhting is cool. Step outside that and you take your chances.

Like I said, I've worked long-term with both OS's and simply find OSX a more elegant version that's stable to boot. You want to add or delete drives in OSX? Just plug and unplug - no worrying about drive letter assignments. Want to run more than 1 audio interface - create an aggregate device in OSX - no having to muck around with special drivers like ASIO4all.

Which daw program were you trying to run on the Mac? Logic is not the be-all and end-all. Give DP a try. And if you were on SL, did you have an SL-compatible version of whatever program you were/are using?

Jack
Qapla!
C Hudson
Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 990
Re:Will Sonar ever be coded for Mac??? 2010/07/11 14:27:54 (permalink)
jackn2mpu

Interesting - did you try and get into the way things works on a Mac or did you go in with the usual prejudice that a long-term Windoze users does? If you do that then yes, you will have problems. If you stick to mainstream programs when running a Mac and stay away from the freebie junk on the web then you're okay. DP - solid as a rock. Ditto for Photoshop on a Mac. Firefox - good there as well. As long as a program follows Apple's guidelines then everyhting is cool. Step outside that and you take your chances.

Like I said, I've worked long-term with both OS's and simply find OSX a more elegant version that's stable to boot. You want to add or delete drives in OSX? Just plug and unplug - no worrying about drive letter assignments. Want to run more than 1 audio interface - create an aggregate device in OSX - no having to muck around with special drivers like ASIO4all.

Which daw program were you trying to run on the Mac? Logic is not the be-all and end-all. Give DP a try. And if you were on SL, did you have an SL-compatible version of whatever program you were/are using?
Well I ponied up for a Mac , So obviously I approached it without prejudice. To even suggest otherwise is a bit fanboyish. "It has to be you, you windoze using moron". Good grief.

Most apps crash mac IME. Safari, iphoto, iMovie ,Photoshop,logic etc. It all works fine until you push it hard, then it all breaks loose. I've tried different interfaces, even just using the Mac's onboard sound, no dice.
Just not stable. 
Bottom line I should not be able to crash the "advanced" OS that is OSX, no matter what I do. BTW, I NEVER install freeware junk. I also never tried DP, but honestly, I the guys that code th eOS can't make it stable, I doubt MOTU would either.
I actually love the look and feel of the Mac. Just not stable enough compared to Windows.
Obviously YMMV....

Best

CH
daveny5
  • Total Posts : 16934
Re:Will Sonar ever be coded for Mac??? 2010/07/11 15:30:37 (permalink)
Funny we haven't seen the Mac vs PC commercials since Windows 7 was released.

Dave
Computer: Intel i7, ASROCK H170M, 16GB/5TB+, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Sonar Platinum, TASCAM US-16x08, Cakewalk UM-3G MIDI I/F
Instruments: SL-880 Keyboard controller, Korg 05R/W, Korg N1R, KORG Wavestation EX
Axes: Fender Stratocaster, Line6 Variax 300, Ovation Acoustic, Takamine Nylon Acoustic, Behringer GX212 amp, Shure SM-58 mic, Rode NT1 condenser mic.
Outboard: Mackie 1402-VLZ mixer, TC Helicon VoiceLive 2, Digitech Vocalist WS EX, PODXTLive, various stompboxes and stuff. 
Controllers: Korg nanoKONTROL, Wacom Bamboo Touchpad
chilldanny
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 830
Re:Will Sonar ever be coded for Mac??? 2010/07/15 09:50:35 (permalink)
mmmm...lovely new MacBook Pro just been delivered....
Hope Bootcamp works well....

wish me luck!

* Windows10 (x64), Focusrite Safire Pro24, Sonar Platinum (x64) * MacOS High Sierra, Logic Pro X, Ableton Live 9 *

Danny M
tarsier
Re:Will Sonar ever be coded for Mac??? 2010/07/15 10:04:00 (permalink)

Be sure to update to the Bootcamp 3.1 driver pack. It improves things a lot.
Freddie H
Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3617
Re:Will Sonar ever be coded for Mac??? 2010/07/15 10:28:49 (permalink)
chilldanny

Ok, so after 15years of writing and recording I'm going 'pro' and start a degree
in Creative Audio Technology in september.

The big flaw in this???
Having to learn Logic inside out!!!

Industry standard my arse!!
Don't get me wrong, it's a pretty cool package, but man - it aint Sonar!

With Apple seemingly now the platform of choice in homes and studios worldwide
I'd hate to see Sonar go the way of the BetaMax.
Afterall, the key to survival is the ability to adapt and evolve.

So please Cakewalk, I and many others beg you, support both platforms.
Not least because my MacBook Pro will be delivered soon and I really wanna
show my Lecturer and fellow students what the new industry standard looks like!

So, anyone else think Sonar becoming cross-platform would be good thing??
Answers on a post-card =)

p.s.
yes, I know, Bootcamp.... ;)

Ohboy what a Logic FAN I used to be...but not anymore...
Cubase 5.5 is pretty cool but ain't like SONAR. I'm glad I'm using SONAR.

MAC support in the near future?... naa I don't think so and hope not. I have iPhone I just hate it..no flashplayer support either and its the same story for those people that bought iPad too.

Jailbreak!!!!??...You need to Jailbreak the darn phone to get a flash player?PIP*
Apple & Steve Jobs----> UP yours!!

I won't buy more apple stuff that's for sure...

-Highly developed spirits often encounter resistance from mediocre minds. -It really matters!
daveny5
Re:Will Sonar ever be coded for Mac??? 2010/07/15 10:43:13 (permalink)
George H.W. Bush when asked about Cakewalk creating a Sonar for MAC said:

"Not gonna do it. Wouldn't be prudent."

Dave
Computer: Intel i7, ASROCK H170M, 16GB/5TB+, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Sonar Platinum, TASCAM US-16x08, Cakewalk UM-3G MIDI I/F
Instruments: SL-880 Keyboard controller, Korg 05R/W, Korg N1R, KORG Wavestation EX
Axes: Fender Stratocaster, Line6 Variax 300, Ovation Acoustic, Takamine Nylon Acoustic, Behringer GX212 amp, Shure SM-58 mic, Rode NT1 condenser mic.
Outboard: Mackie 1402-VLZ mixer, TC Helicon VoiceLive 2, Digitech Vocalist WS EX, PODXTLive, various stompboxes and stuff. 
djjhart@aol.com
Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2189
Re:Will Sonar ever be coded for Mac??? 2010/07/15 11:31:48 (permalink)
Anyone who comments about mac and a pc , that dose not own a new Mac with OSX and a PC , should not comment, Just because you can not first hand compare the two. Being a mac and a pc owner since the power Pc 7300 days, till today.. I can contest that mac os has always been amazing and 98% trouble/Virus free. I have never had to reformat my MAC, my pc's through the years have been formated more times than I remember. 
 So first hand experiance , I can say that the Mac Os , and how it works and its simplicity destroys windows OS , Windows biggest attribute is itsCheapness.. it freeware/bootleg/broken/and half priced software. thats just gives you headaches.. Mac have be the go to for professionals in general. 
  Now Sonar is on top of the food chain , it just there diet is pretty bad.  
 So my point is there's alot of kaka being talked by ones that have never turned on a mac and has no idea, 

The saying is you get what you pay for.. Buy a dell and you will have unwanted software that just cant be erased and sucks up resources.. Osx has one computer manufacturer Apple. Not like windows, which has dell, hp, leveno, toshiba, acer, ect..  Ponder on that.. 
 Now the question is Sonar and a mac , and i say YES.. 100% it would be a smart professional move.. But Costly as we know.. so its wishful thinking..

Computer - Intel Q9550, Intel BX48bt2 MB, W8 64 bit. 8 gb Ram, SSD  
Hardware - Tascam Fw1884 Control surface only, Ni S49 Komplete Kontroll,Roland Quad Capture, Ni Machine,Kore, Focusrite A/D converter, Blue Mic, Roland Gaia, Akai Mpk49, Yamaha HS80 Monitors.
Software - Sonar Platinum , Vengeance VPS bundle,Sugar Bytes Effectrix, Turnado, NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Dune, Rob Papen  Blade , Delay, Punch Evolved.
 http://soundcloud.com/johnhartson/tracks  
 http://www.youtube.com/user/jhart1313 

jackn2mpu
Re:Will Sonar ever be coded for Mac??? 2010/07/15 12:50:25 (permalink)
djjhart@aol.com

Anyone who comments about mac and a pc , that dose not own a new Mac with OSX and a PC , should not comment, Just because you can not first hand compare the two. Being a mac and a pc owner since the power Pc 7300 days, till today.. I can contest that mac os has always been amazing and 98% trouble/Virus free. I have never had to reformat my MAC, my pc's through the years have been formated more times than I remember. 
So first hand experiance , I can say that the Mac Os , and how it works and its simplicity destroys windows OS , Windows biggest attribute is itsCheapness.. it freeware/bootleg/broken/and half priced software. thats just gives you headaches.. Mac have be the go to for professionals in general. 
 Now Sonar is on top of the food chain , it just there diet is pretty bad.  
So my point is there's alot of kaka being talked by ones that have never turned on a mac and has no idea, 

The saying is you get what you pay for.. Buy a dell and you will have unwanted software that just cant be erased and sucks up resources.. Osx has one computer manufacturer Apple. Not like windows, which has dell, hp, leveno, toshiba, acer, ect..  Ponder on that.. 
Now the question is Sonar and a mac , and i say YES.. 100% it would be a smart professional move.. But Costly as we know.. so its wishful thinking..

Amen, brother. It truly seems like those that **** about a Mac have either never tried one or did and never learned to use the OS as it should be used. I too have been around Apple machines for a long time, even before Mac existed. Microsnot OS's ditto (DOS 3 to Win 3.1 to 95, 98 and XP). At this point in time OSX has it all over any version of the Win OS. Simply a more elegant OS is Snow Leopard, and you only have one version whereas in Windoze you have several. I too have never had to reformat a drive, never had a virus or Trojan on the Mac.

People complain you can't customize a Mac - tain't true. You can use any video card or for that matter any pcie card that can plug in the Mac chassis. And really, how many people 'customize' their pc's beyond an audio or video card? How many pc users really change out the cpu chips? Not that many. Only a one button mouse on a Mac? Not anymore. You can use any mouse you want, whether from Apple, Lopgitech, Kensington, even MS. You can use any monitor you want as well, not just Apple's. I've never used an Apple display - got a 26" Viewsonic on my Mac here. I also share that monitor with my Sonar pc (will not Bootcamp the Mac).  Want to run multiple audio I/O? Not a problem in OSX land. No funky drivers needed - it's all in either the OS or in the daw software you use (DP has it's own built-in solution).

Jack
Qapla!
daveny5
Re:Will Sonar ever be coded for Mac??? 2010/07/15 12:53:49 (permalink)
that dose not own a new Mac with OSX and a PC , should not comment,

If you've never used a new PC with Windows 7 x64, you should not comment. Let's compare oranges to oranges (notice I didn't say apples to apples.)

Dave
djjhart@aol.com
Re:Will Sonar ever be coded for Mac??? 2010/07/15 13:46:00 (permalink)
I own window 7 too and reverted back to XP on my pc, I would never install 64 bit at this time, I would lose more functionality . so thats a no brainer .. In time I will but its not ready just yet for me.. and I will wait , cake cant even get all they own plugs on board yet with 64 bit so why be the guinea pig . I will wait like many others..
W7 imo can not compare to OSX.. And I own both .So I am commenting ..

Hardware - Tascam Fw1884 Control surface only, Ni S49 Komplete Kontroll,Roland Quad Capture, Ni Machine,Kore, Focusrite A/D converter, Blue Mic, Roland Gaia, Akai Mpk49, Yamaha HS80 Monitors.
Software - Sonar Platinum , Vengeance VPS bundle,Sugar Bytes Effectrix, Turnado, NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Dune, Rob Papen  Blade , Delay, Punch Evolved.

Shinyhead
  • Total Posts : 21
Re:Will Sonar ever be coded for Mac??? 2010/07/15 14:03:45 (permalink)

Surprised that none of the replies I have read on it do not mention the fact that Cake is ALREADY developing for MAC and that it will be served on the next version....

That's what a 'maybe-too-friendly' Cake employee told me on the last Sonar tour............................

IMHO, that's too bad as they are investing lots of resources on MAC version instead of giving the PC side all their energy.

Just saying...
Mike
post edited by Shinyhead - 2010/07/15 14:06:11
djjhart@aol.com
Re:Will Sonar ever be coded for Mac??? 2010/07/15 14:14:41 (permalink)

...wicked
Max Output Level: -1.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7360
Re:Will Sonar ever be coded for Mac??? 2010/07/15 15:19:35 (permalink)
chilldanny
mmmm...lovely new MacBook Pro just been delivered....

Good luck! I have to say setting up Bootcamp was a flawless experience for me. I use my Macbook running SONAR (and Live) as our live computer without issue.

===========
The Fog People
===========

Intel i7-4790 
16GB RAM
ASUS Z97 
Roland OctaCapture
Win10/64   

SONAR Platinum 64-bit    
billions VSTs, some of which work    
tarsier
Re:Will Sonar ever be coded for Mac??? 2010/07/15 15:27:41 (permalink)
Anyone who comments about mac and a pc , that dose not own a new Mac with OSX and a PC , should not comment,

Whew! I'm glad I'm up to your standards. I've been using Apples since the II days, and most of the Macs up to my current MacBook Pro with SnowLeopard. And I've been using MS's OS's from Dos on up to Win7. Never tried WinME tho...

My verdict: They all suck. 

Now then, people don't run OSs they run apps. So find the apps you need to get your work done and run the OS that runs your apps. In my case, most of my work gets done on Windows apps but I need a few OSX apps too. Thus my ownership of Macs, which at least let me run both OSs on them. I also have dedicated Windows machines.

So I hope that my qualifications can lend credence to my proclamation: OSX and Windows 7 suck! Equally! They both get in the way more often than not. But at least they don't suck as much as Linux (of whatever flavor...)

and another dollar does into the Mac vs. PC wars jar.
Freddie H
Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3617
Re:Will Sonar ever be coded for Mac??? 2010/07/16 07:54:51 (permalink)
tarsier

Anyone who comments about mac and a pc , that dose not own a new Mac with OSX and a PC , should not comment,

Whew! I'm glad I'm up to your standards. I've been using Apples since the II days, and most of the Macs up to my current MacBook Pro with SnowLeopard. And I've been using MS's OS's from Dos on up to Win7. Never tried WinME tho...

My verdict: They all suck. 

Now then, people don't run OSs they run apps. So find the apps you need to get your work done and run the OS that runs your apps. In my case, most of my work gets done on Windows apps but I need a few OSX apps too. Thus my ownership of Macs, which at least let me run both OSs on them. I also have dedicated Windows machines.

So I hope that my qualifications can lend credence to my proclamation: OSX and Windows 7 suck! Equally! They both get in the way more often than not. But at least they don't suck as much as Linux (of whatever flavor...)

and another dollar does into the Mac vs. PC wars jar.

I understand why you think so..My conclusions about your way of thinking so far is= the more advanced and better the system gets, the more it sucks.

Fiat/Opel/Skoda = Mac, apple OSX. (64bit) The whole background idea about OSX is to make a system that are easy to run for people with no or very low knowledge about how to manager or run systems. The other side of the coin is that you as a user can't customize or do anything about it, (manage the system).
There are a lot of restriction by Apple too and we see ut in iPhone..iPad and it goes just on... You can't even easy tune the GAMMA on a OSX system and the point is that you shouldn't too. As a user you shouldn't think about those things at all or tune or customize anything in your computer or Apple world. Apple decides all that for you...That's the whole idea about apple and OSX.

So for people with low user level this is not a problem it works just great. General speaking; people that have no clue how to physical build or manage computers. Home, first time user, small and medium companies, multimedia companies. So far I never heard about any professional servers that use  OSX or apple stuff yet.

Volvo, BMW, Mercedes = Microsoft, Windows 7/ Vista. (32/64bit). Can be easy to run and use for any user-level but it still need someone with more experience that ---> service and manage the system. You need to have more knowledge then the typical OSX-user if you want it to work perfect. You need to trimmed and professional manage and customize the system to make it performs well. If you do it will performance much better, faster then any OSX-system. It also have all the extra features for the real advanced users needs too. Typical user: home, professionals, multimedia, cad, advanced business models, small medium and huge companies. WINDOWS for server OS, typical Europe.

Porsche, Ferrari, Koenigsegg = Linux, SUN, Oracle.  (32/64/128bit) Advanced systems. Better then this you can't get but you need to be advanced user too and you need to manage the systems every day. Outstanding!!! included all the features you can dream about! Only 64bit and 128bit systems ...a wet dream for any computer geek. Typical Linux users = advanced users, hackers, servers and other managing systems.
Typical Oracle / SUN users = Countries, US defense system, CIA network, FBI etc... government and countries buying those systems. approximate 80% of all professional servers use LINUX on their servers.

End conclusion
So are a Ferrari or BMW a bad car because a low-level bad driver have huge trouble driving and manage it? The Ferrari are far more complex to drive and manage then the Fiat Uno, but still it out perform the FIAT 10 times or even more....

Best Regards
Freddie
post edited by Freddie H - 2010/07/16 08:08:28

-Highly developed spirits often encounter resistance from mediocre minds. -It really matters!
gothic.angel
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 572
Re:Will Sonar ever be coded for Mac??? 2010/07/16 09:26:27 (permalink)
jm24

iCrap, iStupd, iToilet, iDesk, iCar, iForum, iTruck, iBattery, iDumb, iPakled, iTV, iMTV, iMP3, i i i i i i i i i i.

i will never own any apple junk. And I avoid all other company's "i" garbage: iHP,...

The reality of Steve Jobs abandoning tech, and therefore users, makes apple stuff very expensive.

I have clients who use macs. They tell me, "They sometimes work fine as long as we do not want to do stuff that is not included in the wizzers. Try to change that and the sky is falling. They crash. They are supported by idiots." ...

J
Yep, TOTALLY agree... said that myself a thousand times before on this forum...

Please, Cakewalk:  DON'T mess with APPLE'S "i-Toys" and "i-Policies"...!!!
Keep SONAR away from their expensive snobbish, childish "restricted" stuff.....

GothicAngeL - EBM - Dark Electronics

Kraymon
  • Total Posts : 38
Re:Will Sonar ever be coded for Mac??? 2010/07/16 09:39:48 (permalink)
yeah id like sonar on my macbook pro - i love the way EVERYTHING is designed so well.
i still use sonar for my studio come though and until recently it's been working a dream :)

electronic music: www.myspace.com/kraymonmusic
Twigman
Max Output Level: -38.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3667
Re:Will Sonar ever be coded for Mac??? 2010/07/16 10:39:05 (permalink)
Hmmm not sure to be honest if it would be a good thing or not.......

In my band at the moment I use Sonar on a PC, the guitarist uses Logic on Mac, the singer uses Logic Express on a Mac and if we need live drums or anything that needs more than we can give at home, the studio we use uses Cubase on a Mac......so I am the odd one out....it makes passing projects between us only possible with bundled stems. Why haven't I got Logic & mac? because my PC does so much more and I built it at a fraction of the cost of a Mac and it's so much cheaper to keep current........even if Sonar was ported to the Mac I know I wouldn't follow and I doubt I'd convert my Mac using colleagues.....

Become a Fan on Facebook
Buy our stuff on iTunes
Q9550-P5QL-E-8GB1066RAM-GT9800 1GB-RME HDSP9632-W7Prox64-X2x64
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 6
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1