Helpful ReplyWin 10 - Why Leave Win 7?

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 12
Author
Doktor Avalanche
Max Output Level: -32.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4294
Re: Win 10 - Why Leave Win 7? 2015/08/19 19:51:03 (permalink)
Skyline_UK
I upgraded my laptop from 7 to 10 yesterday. Text characters are now blurry. A search on the net shows this to be a major problem experienced by many. No solutions seem to be available and MSoft aren't fessing up. There's no way I'm going to risk upgrading my desktop DAW until this is fixed; it would be a disaster for the small detail in Sonar and audio apps etc.

Drivers again...
I am guessing you have an nvidia adapter, what's supplied with Windows 10 here is generally sub optimal. Simply visit nvidias web site and do a clean install of the latest driver for your display adapter. Then reboot. If issue still persists afterwards go to nvidia control panel and adjust the resolution to the max for each monitor.

Or do something similar with ATI or whatever...
Should fix it...
post edited by Doktor Avalanche - 2015/08/19 20:00:39

Sonar Platinum(64 bit),Win 8.1(64 bit),Saffire Pro 40(Firewire),Mix Control = 3.6,Firewire=VIA,Dell Studio XPS 8100(Intel Core i7 CPU 2.93 Ghz/16 Gb),2 x 1TB SSD (Samsung EVO 850),GeForce GTX 460,Yamaha DGX-505 keyboard,Roland A-300PRO,Roland SPD-30 V2,FD-8,Triggera Krigg,Shure SM7B,Yamaha HS5. Rap Pro,Maschine Studio+Komplete 9 Ultimate+Kontrol Z1,Addictive Keys,Waves Silver,Izotope Nectar elements,Overloud Bundle,Geist,Acronis True Image 2015.
bapu
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 86000
Re: Win 10 - Why Leave Win 7? 2015/08/19 20:19:39 (permalink)
I'll admit that I only read through page two. 

Here's is what I have to say about ANY OS UI.

I use it about for about 3% of my total computing time. So I couldn't give a rat's behind about how it looks.

Now, interwebs browser, DAW and VSTs, that another story..... they darn well better suit me or they are history.
kevinwal
Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1066
Re: Win 10 - Why Leave Win 7? 2015/08/19 20:39:29 (permalink)
GregGraves
Microsoft is not your friend.  How can I buy a complete laptop for $180 when the OS costs me $100?  Answer:  To punish people who build their own systems (me), and force them into a Dell or whatever.   That is why their nickname is Microshaft.  I don't see anyone here discussing the totally amazing things they can already do with Sonar on whatever OS you are using.  Its like a totally beautiful woman, she's a 10 or 11.  Yeah, she could do with a few tweaks, wee longer legs, bit of a lift here or there, but damn man, she's fantastic like she is.  Same with Sonar.  I could absolutely care less about "free" or $200 down the line.  It just doesn't matter.  Better threading?  C'mon!  Even with my currently way-less-than-ideal system, I have never run out oomph to get things done.  I love Sonar.  I love Cakewalk.  I don't trust Microsoft.

Sincerely,
Mister Paranoid

To be honest, I've read and re-read this post several times and I still don't understand exactly what you're advocating. I do understand that you don't trust Microsoft, that's about it. If it's any consolation, Microsoft probably doesn't trust you either. In fact, I suspect they actually are out to get you. Just you.   

Seriously though, no company is your friend. They offer a product. If it has value to you, you buy it. If it doesn't, you don't. That's the contract, end of story. So don't buy (or get for free) Windows 10. Easy-peasy.
kevinwal
Re: Win 10 - Why Leave Win 7? 2015/08/19 20:56:13 (permalink)
kitekrazy1
John
Its Apple that resembles big brother not Microsoft. Only their approved software is allowed to run on their approved hardware. However, they are the ones that scream big brother about IBM and Microsoft. Its the big lie that for some reason people believe. 

So true but MS seems to do a better job as pissing people off.  Rumor has it before W8 came out MS execs ignored that it wouldn't go over well.

I think people judge MS more critically than most any other technology company. People love underdogs and they hate successes. I worked there while Win 8 was in development (I left MS in 2012 after 15 years there. Full disclosure, I was not part of the Windows dev team.) That OS and its visual design language was a bet-the-company effort to out-innovate the competition, period. For years we've heard people in the press and in the industry who "knew the market" that MS was no longer an innovative company, that it was resting on its laurels and living off the fat of Windows and Office. (All of which was patent BS, by the way.)

So for Windows 8 the company invested hugely in a multi-year, multi-version effort to re-invent the Windows platform, it's development tools and even assumptions about its hardware form-factor. It's difficult to describe the sheer breadth of the changes made across the company in every single product and technology to align with that vision. Imagine our surprise when those same smart people pooped their pants over our "arrogance" at daring to alter the sacred Windows 7 paradigm. I laughed my butt off.

Many of us called for sticking to the plan and to move forward and fully implement the vision staked out in Windows 8, but new leadership wimped and basically changed the visuals back to W7, keeping only the fonts, color scheme and icons. All imho, of course.

Doktor Avalanche
Re: Win 10 - Why Leave Win 7? 2015/08/19 23:40:12 (permalink)
kevinwal
Many of us called for sticking to the plan and to move forward and fully implement the vision staked out in Windows 8, but new leadership wimped and basically changed the visuals back to W7, keeping only the fonts, color scheme and icons. All imho, of course.

Yeah that's what I thought as well, I notice devs liked Win 8.x more than most because they understood what M$ were doing. The fact is Win8.x was always going to be an intermediary release anyway (Windows RT seemed the give away). It was stuck in the middle of Windows 7 and Win10, a half way solution. The full vision was to be able to develop easily on for all devices (desktop,server,phone,tablet,third parties) and supply a solution for all devices, which may have now happened on Win10.

The mistake could have been that they should have waited an couple few years... i.e. Jump from Windows 7 to 10, but then people would have accused them of being slow... Then again I regarded 8 a great success, loved it. Silly it all went to bits over a stupid start menu/start screen. Most people didn't realize they could configure it the way they want at least with 8.1, or just could not be bothered. All the start screen was anyway was an extra large start menu.
post edited by Doktor Avalanche - 2015/08/19 23:49:21

Sonar Platinum(64 bit),Win 8.1(64 bit),Saffire Pro 40(Firewire),Mix Control = 3.6,Firewire=VIA,Dell Studio XPS 8100(Intel Core i7 CPU 2.93 Ghz/16 Gb),2 x 1TB SSD (Samsung EVO 850),GeForce GTX 460,Yamaha DGX-505 keyboard,Roland A-300PRO,Roland SPD-30 V2,FD-8,Triggera Krigg,Shure SM7B,Yamaha HS5. Rap Pro,Maschine Studio+Komplete 9 Ultimate+Kontrol Z1,Addictive Keys,Waves Silver,Izotope Nectar elements,Overloud Bundle,Geist,Acronis True Image 2015.
leebutbaggins
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1
Re: Win 10 - Why Leave Win 7? 2015/08/20 03:29:01 (permalink)
bitman
M.S. is likely trying the herd us all into one pen so they can then "update" Windows to a play to use model. That's why it is free kiddos. Your C drive and the setup you have going there is your toy for your use whenever you see fit - keep it that way  Win 10 is "license to run software" run amok.

Imagine if your Tonka toys went rental, you would have thrown a fit!

The start menu isn't even that great.
I'm sticking with 7 until kingdom come.

That's why I imaged my Win 7 installation before upgrading. Thank goodness for real installation discs and product keys. If anyone wants to find out the keys for MS software on your machine, you can use ''.

As far as I'm concerned, anything that is installed on a computer is a software PRODUCT not a service. The subscription only model is bad for consumers. At least Cakewalk and AV software companies have it right by allowing users to keep what they paid for. To hold users to ransom by pulling everything that they have paid for needs looking into by trading standards organisations. I get that if subscriptions are not renewed that FUTURE services will be withheld, but to remove prior purchased products or downgrade to free versions should not be allowed. The product should be left at the state it was when the renewal was not taken. Companies wouldn't be able to take an install disc off someone after a year.
rcklln
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 421
Re: Win 10 - Why Leave Win 7? 2015/08/20 03:44:50 (permalink)
I'll be staying with Windows 7 Pro for another couple of years until I need to buy new hardware and then I'll see what's available. All I need is a stable host to run my applications and right now I've got it.
slartabartfast
Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5289
Re: Win 10 - Why Leave Win 7? 2015/08/20 04:45:18 (permalink)
Doktor Avalanche

When Cakewalk drops support of Win7 or Win8 for Sonar, because the latest Microsoft libraries force them to do so, much like when they had to drop Vista support, don't say I didn't warn you! Also please don't expect the wait for that to happen to be as long as Vista had.

Not only that your drivers and plugins suppliers will also be forgetting about these OS's.

Or another way to look at it is that your current large investment in hardware/drivers and plugins will gradually stop working as you move on to an "improved experience" that will cost you more in trouble and treasure than just the cost of a "free" upgrade, and far more than just staying with an OS on which current products will work. As Cakewalk moves into the future, and breaks with the past, your investment in time and stuff will be eroded. The only defense is to learn to use what you have and stop dreaming that the newest system is going to make your music better. If a violinist had to keep up with an instrument that is adding another string every couple of years, it would not necessarily make it a better violin, nor would it make him a better violinist. Pro Audio was a major improvement over Cakewalk (the sequencer, not the company) in terms of new features for those so inclined. The difference between X1 and X3 not so much. Sure the bugs in your current version will never be fixed unless you constantly get something new, but the new bugs will never be fixed without getting something new either, even if it is just the next monthly update while waiting to pay the next yearly membership/subscription fee. 
Noel Borthwick [Cakewalk]
Cakewalk Staff
  • Total Posts : 6475
Re: Win 10 - Why Leave Win 7? 2015/08/20 07:47:47 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Skyline_UK 2015/08/20 13:18:23
kevinwal

Kevin I agree with most of what you say except for the above. Having been involved with the changes at MS through various generations including the Vista-Win8 period, there was definitely a marked difference here. While I was happy for MS pushing the envelope and developing a hybrid model scalable across devices form factors, management lost sight of a key factor which is what ultimately led to the failure. What matters most to users is the *software* running on Windows not Windows itself. There was a sense of arrogance with the Win 8 management to force all developers to switch to the metro model even through many of us pointed out why the model was flawed and unsuitable as a replacement for the Win32 based desktop API. 

I think its fortunate that the new management realized this mistake and changed course. You can't blindly stay the course and expect success when the vision is flawed :) I don't see it as caving but as understanding a mistake and taking proper steps to rectify it. 

Noel Borthwick
Senior Manager Audio Core, BandLab
My Blog, Twitter, BandLab Profile
Leadfoot
Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2817
Re: Win 10 - Why Leave Win 7? 2015/08/20 08:22:25 (permalink)
I have a question. I don't have internet at my house(I use my phone to get on the forum). Is there a way that I can give Microsoft my serial # and download the files or request a disc?
BobF
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8124
Re: Win 10 - Why Leave Win 7? 2015/08/20 08:25:45 (permalink)
Doktor Avalanche
... Then again I regarded 8 a great success, loved it. Silly it all went to bits over a stupid start menu/start screen. Most people didn't realize they could configure it the way they want at least with 8.1, or just could not be bothered. All the start screen was anyway was an extra large start menu.

Even 8.0 was fixed in a coupla minutes with classic shell ...

Bob  --
Angels are crying because truth has died ...
Illegitimi non carborundum
--
Studio One Pro / i7-6700@3.80GHZ, 32GB Win 10 Pro x64
Roland FA06, LX61+, Fishman Tripleplay, FaderPort, US-16x08 + ARC2.5/Event PS8s 
Waves Gold/IKM Max/Nomad Factory IS3/K11U

michael diemer
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1128
Re: Win 10 - Why Leave Win 7? 2015/08/20 12:59:15 (permalink)
slartabartfast
Doktor Avalanche

When Cakewalk drops support of Win7 or Win8 for Sonar, because the latest Microsoft libraries force them to do so, much like when they had to drop Vista support, don't say I didn't warn you! Also please don't expect the wait for that to happen to be as long as Vista had.

Not only that your drivers and plugins suppliers will also be forgetting about these OS's.

Or another way to look at it is that your current large investment in hardware/drivers and plugins will gradually stop working as you move on to an "improved experience" that will cost you more in trouble and treasure than just the cost of a "free" upgrade, and far more than just staying with an OS on which current products will work. As Cakewalk moves into the future, and breaks with the past, your investment in time and stuff will be eroded. The only defense is to learn to use what you have and stop dreaming that the newest system is going to make your music better. If a violinist had to keep up with an instrument that is adding another string every couple of years, it would not necessarily make it a better violin, nor would it make him a better violinist. Pro Audio was a major improvement over Cakewalk (the sequencer, not the company) in terms of new features for those so inclined. The difference between X1 and X3 not so much. Sure the bugs in your current version will never be fixed unless you constantly get something new, but the new bugs will never be fixed without getting something new either, even if it is just the next monthly update while waiting to pay the next yearly membership/subscription fee. 

Exactly. I continue to be quite happy with 8.5.3 on Windows Seven Pro. I see no reason for that to change until 2020. Even then, I can continue, keeping that computer offline. But I think by then, I will have made a clean break from Windows, and be happily making music on Linux, probably with Reaper. In fact, the break could be coming soon, as Reaper will be incorporating a score editor soon. Then I will have a free OS, with free updates, and a DAW that cost a whopping $60.00. And Microsoft and whoever else won't be spying on me.

michael diemer
Intel Quad Core i7-3770 Ivy Bridge
32 GB ram
1TB Western Digital Black X2
Microsoft Windows 7 Pro 64
UR22 interface
Bandlab Cakewalk/Sonar 8.5 Studio
GPO-EWQLSO Gold-Vienna SP ED-Cinematic Strings 2

michael diemer
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1128
Re: Win 10 - Why Leave Win 7? 2015/08/20 12:59:17 (permalink)
Duplicate deleted.
post edited by michael diemer - 2015/08/20 13:08:24

michael diemer
Intel Quad Core i7-3770 Ivy Bridge
32 GB ram
1TB Western Digital Black X2
Microsoft Windows 7 Pro 64
UR22 interface
Bandlab Cakewalk/Sonar 8.5 Studio
GPO-EWQLSO Gold-Vienna SP ED-Cinematic Strings 2

arachnaut
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1168
Re: Win 10 - Why Leave Win 7? 2015/08/20 13:24:18 (permalink)
Doktor Avalanche
... All the start screen was anyway was an extra large start menu.

Actually I would beg to differ a little here.

The model for the Win 8 start screen was a touch pad with a fingerprint as the de facto scale factor. That made things much larger than a mouse pointer requires. But, moreover, the model was flat, not hierarchical. One had to scroll to see everything. With a mouse pointer and a hierarchical structure (folders, if you will), it was much easier to organize into compartments of functions that could all be seen in a small area.

The start screen has no folders and the compartments are small columnar areas with names at the top. That made scrolling over a large installation rather tedious, even if one placed all the most common stuff on the main screen area. So there is a tradeoff of extra mouse clicks into a hierarchy or extra hand swipes to move over a screen.

Naturally desktop mouse users would stay on the desktop where things were practically unchanged since Windows 7, so long as a start button replacement was provided.

In Windows 10, I still use the Classic Start Button enhancement as my 'Start' corner icon, but configure the Windows key to trigger the Win 10 Start menu. So I can use either rather easily.

My own feeling is that touch oriented things are best suited to small devices where portability is important and one doesn't want to carry a bunch of add-ons like a mouse or keypad.

If I had my way, this would all be voice activated like Star Trek computers so we could avoid all physical gestures.

One thing I find happening often on my laptop is that the touchpad sometimes triggers a mouse click event and things get activated/launched rather than selected/highlighted. The settings have to be tweaked and the fingers have to be trained. If I went to a different computer I might have to re-learn those instincts. I don't know if the touchscreen has similar issues. I do have a 10-point touchscreen, but I almost never use it. My hands stay in the keyboard/mouse area, not the screen area.

I suppose in the end it all boils down to one's habitual ways of working as seeming the best way to do things. And we all have a reluctance to change long-established habits.

Before the mouse came along, everything was keyboard-oriented and the new-fangled mouse seemed like an unnecessary add-on, but now I think of it as a keyboard extension.

- Jim Hurley -
SONAR Platinum - x64  - Windows 10 Pro 
ASUS P8P67 PRO Rev 3.0;  Core i7-2600K@4.4GHz; 16 GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X;
GeForce GT 740; Saffire Pro14 MixControl 3.7; Axiom 61
64-Bit audio, SR: 48kHz, ASIO 256 samples latency, Rec/Play I/O Buffers 512k, Total Round Trip Latency 13 ms, Pow-r 3 dither 
stxx
  • Total Posts : 406
Re: Win 10 - Why Leave Win 7? 2015/08/20 13:25:31 (permalink)
I went to 10 and stayed for under and after an hour went back to 7 (which to my surprise both the upgrade to 10 AND the revert back worked perfectly!)    First, the Firewire controller and drivers would not load.   I have FW 1884 that uses legacy FW driver and that would be come up.   There are fixes out there that I looked up but I just didn;t want to go through that.   Also, some of my plugin's stopped working or wouldn't load correctly and since everything really was working perfectly on 7 and I started to panic and get an anxiety attack, I went back to 7 which I think is awesome anyway.   I had told myself awhile ago,  if it ain't broke, don't fix it so why I went to it 10 in the first place really is beyond me.    Someone also had posted some SONAR performance comparisons between 7 and 10 and there really was not any major compelling data to really support a move.   As for Windows support, I have NEVER in the now 20 some odd years of using Windows (since 3.1) ever call Microsoft for support so the fact that at some point, likely MANY years away, when Win 7 goes out of lifecycle, whatever is wrong will likely have a solution out there in some knowledge base or forum and I still won't ever need to call them.  

Latest song fro my latest CD release coming up:
http://allenlind.com/bugs..2015/01%20Track%201.mp3

Sonar Platinum, RME UFX, UAD 2, Waves, Soundtoys, Fronteir Alphatrack, X-Touch as Contl Srfc,  , Console 1, Sweetwater Creation Station Quad Core Win 8.1, Mackie 824, KRK RP5, AKG 240 MKII, Samson C-Control, Sennheiser, Blue,  AKG, RODE,  UA, Grace, Focusrite, Audient, Midas, ART

Song Portfolio:
https://soundcloud.com/allen-lind/sets/oth-short
kitekrazy1
Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3524
Re: Win 10 - Why Leave Win 7? 2015/08/20 14:09:06 (permalink)
stxx
I went to 10 and stayed for under and after an hour went back to 7 (which to my surprise both the upgrade to 10 AND the revert back worked perfectly!)    First, the Firewire controller and drivers would not load.   I have FW 1884 that uses legacy FW driver and that would be come up.   There are fixes out there that I looked up but I just didn;t want to go through that.   Also, some of my plugin's stopped working or wouldn't load correctly and since everything really was working perfectly on 7 and I started to panic and get an anxiety attack, I went back to 7 which I think is awesome anyway.   I had told myself awhile ago,  if it ain't broke, don't fix it so why I went to it 10 in the first place really is beyond me.    Someone also had posted some SONAR performance comparisons between 7 and 10 and there really was not any major compelling data to really support a move.   As for Windows support, I have NEVER in the now 20 some odd years of using Windows (since 3.1) ever call Microsoft for support so the fact that at some point, likely MANY years away, when Win 7 goes out of lifecycle, whatever is wrong will likely have a solution out there in some knowledge base or forum and I still won't ever need to call them.  

My FW410 works in W10.  Are you using onboard firewire?

Sonar Platinum, W7 Pro 32GB Ram, Intel i7 4790, AsRock Z97 Pro 4,  NVidia 750ti, AP2496

Sonar Platinum, W7 Pro, 16GB Ram, AMD FX 6300, Gigabyte GA 970 -UD3 P, nVidia 9800GT, Guitar Port, Terratec EWX 2496
stxx
  • Total Posts : 406
Re: Win 10 - Why Leave Win 7? 2015/08/20 17:14:04 (permalink)
I'm not using onboard FW.  I have TI chipset FW adapters and an PCI(e) expansion box.  Also I have a focusrite saffire  56 where I mix and that was not coming online either which is also FW.    For some of this, the legacy drivers are needed and not readily supported without a fix.   I also have a lot of other stuff and was generating error messages including some plugins that wouldn't load.  I just wasn't ready for these headaches.  In the end, I know I could have made all this work eventually.... but why?   There are no real benefits as far as I can tell.   I expect Sonar and Win 7 to work for some time to come.   By the time it doesn't I'll likely be ready for a new computer anyway...   My music machine is dedicated to music so I couldn't care less really about many of the other Win 10 features.    Better multitasking certainly is a consideration but that hasn't caused me issues yet so that benefit now goes in the "so what?" column.

Sonar Platinum, RME UFX, UAD 2, Waves, Soundtoys, Fronteir Alphatrack, X-Touch as Contl Srfc,  , Console 1, Sweetwater Creation Station Quad Core Win 8.1, Mackie 824, KRK RP5, AKG 240 MKII, Samson C-Control, Sennheiser, Blue,  AKG, RODE,  UA, Grace, Focusrite, Audient, Midas, ART

Song Portfolio:
https://soundcloud.com/allen-lind/sets/oth-short
kitekrazy1
Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3524
Re: Win 10 - Why Leave Win 7? 2015/08/20 19:03:53 (permalink)
I've noticed a lot of FW Sapphires going on sale. I wonder if those will be future doorstops.  The latest Focusrite FW units will work with a Thunderbolt adapter.
I hope you take this up with Focusrite support.  My list of bo not buy hardware vendors gets longer. If I could do it all over again it would be nothing but RME and possibly Focusrite.
I have an old Intel machine that has onboard FW. That use to be a standard on Intlel boards.  I still have an AMD system with FW that's a VIA chipset and never had a problem with that.  

Sonar Platinum, W7 Pro 32GB Ram, Intel i7 4790, AsRock Z97 Pro 4,  NVidia 750ti, AP2496

Sonar Platinum, W7 Pro, 16GB Ram, AMD FX 6300, Gigabyte GA 970 -UD3 P, nVidia 9800GT, Guitar Port, Terratec EWX 2496
John T
Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6783
Re: Win 10 - Why Leave Win 7? 2015/08/20 19:41:28 (permalink)
kevinwal

Kevin I agree with most of what you say except for the above. Having been involved with the changes at MS through various generations including the Vista-Win8 period, there was definitely a marked difference here. While I was happy for MS pushing the envelope and developing a hybrid model scalable across devices form factors, management lost sight of a key factor which is what ultimately led to the failure. What matters most to users is the *software* running on Windows not Windows itself. There was a sense of arrogance with the Win 8 management to force all developers to switch to the metro model even through many of us pointed out why the model was flawed and unsuitable as a replacement for the Win32 based desktop API. 

I think its fortunate that the new management realized this mistake and changed course. You can't blindly stay the course and expect success when the vision is flawed :) I don't see it as caving but as understanding a mistake and taking proper steps to rectify it. 

This chimes with something I've found myself thinking, using Win 10, which is this: you can really tell that an engineering guy is back in charge. I think Nadella is fairly impressive in lots of ways, and this is the first substantial release on his watch, and I've not been disappointed. I feel they're back on the track MS are good at. Not necessarily innovators, but technically very solid.

Win 8 felt like a panicked reaction to the iPad. MS are better when they don't panic. And in Win10, they've come up with something that actually might make me ditch apple, when I next buy a tablet. It competes in a less obvious, but more effective way, I think.

http://johntatlockaudio.com/
Self-build PC // 16GB RAM // i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz // Nofan 0dB cooler // ASUS P8-Z77 V Pro motherboard // Intel x-25m SSD System Drive // Seagate RAID Array Audio Drive // Windows 10 64 bit // Sonar Platinum (64 bit) // Sonar VS-700 // M-Audio Keystation Pro 88 // KRK RP-6 Monitors // and a bunch of other stuff
Doktor Avalanche
Re: Win 10 - Why Leave Win 7? 2015/08/20 23:58:42 (permalink)
stxx
I'm not using onboard FW.  I have TI chipset FW adapters and an PCI(e) expansion box.  Also I have a focusrite saffire  56 where I mix and that was not coming online either which is also FW.    For some of this, the legacy drivers are needed and not readily supported without a fix.   I also have a lot of other stuff and was generating error messages including some plugins that wouldn't load.  I just wasn't ready for these headaches.  In the end, I know I could have made all this work eventually.... but why?   There are no real benefits as far as I can tell.   I expect Sonar and Win 7 to work for some time to come.   By the time it doesn't I'll likely be ready for a new computer anyway...   My music machine is dedicated to music so I couldn't care less really about many of the other Win 10 features.    Better multitasking certainly is a consideration but that hasn't caused me issues yet so that benefit now goes in the "so what?" column.

Saffire should work great. With thunderbolt 3 on the way are being more generally distributed it should see a resurgence. Under windows 10 the only documented issue with Saffire is some VIA firewire chipsets...

Have you tried this?

http://us.focusrite.com/downloads/saffire-mix-control-36

If you install it make sure you backup/completely uninstall mix control/reboot/install/reboot/reset the hardware.
Make sure you remove the firewire legacy drivers as well in device manager afterwards (roll back to the defaults).

Also have you checked for any updated firmware and drivers for your firewire card?

Thanks...
post edited by Doktor Avalanche - 2015/08/21 00:07:18

LaszloZoltan
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 216
Re: Win 10 - Why Leave Win 7? 2015/08/21 01:47:27 (permalink)
I read a lot of "it's faster" - really ? how many seconds are we talking about ? faster boot ? ok, how many times per day do I boot ? am I really willing to put at stake everything I use for the sake of a few ...seconds ? I am not working some sweatshop assembly line where I have to crank out 200 pieces per hour or be taken out back with a bullet - I like a moment to contemplate things please.

just my 2 cents
kevinwal
Re: Win 10 - Why Leave Win 7? 2015/08/21 02:07:58 (permalink)
kevinwal

Noel,

Sigh. Yeah, management certainly seemed to think they had a lot more than what was actually there. Many of us expected to see WinRT continue to evolve into a real competitor to iOS and Android from the disappointingly stripped down version that was shipped, and we certainly didn't expect that Metro would be positioned to partners as a viable replacement for the desktop model. It wasn't ready for that in the first case, and in a great many scenarios it wasn't appropriate for that in the second. And yeah, I certainly saw the uneasy relationship between metro and desktop and was very hopeful that a more elegant UI framework would evolve to help them coexist more comfortably.

But --
Surface showed just how game-changing the metro idea could really be, and I can only imagine the kinds of things you guys at Sonar could do if WinRT had a great threading and async capability coupled with a thouroughly modern and highly capable audio and MIDI foundation. I love my Surface and I love Metro on the Surface, and my great fear is that they'll throw the really great things out in a mad scramble to put the mistakes of the past behind them.
kevinwal
Re: Win 10 - Why Leave Win 7? 2015/08/21 02:14:21 (permalink)
John T

This chimes with something I've found myself thinking, using Win 10, which is this: you can really tell that an engineering guy is back in charge. I think Nadella is fairly impressive in lots of ways, and this is the first substantial release on his watch, and I've not been disappointed. I feel they're back on the track MS are good at. Not necessarily innovators, but technically very solid.

Win 8 felt like a panicked reaction to the iPad. MS are better when they don't panic. And in Win10, they've come up with something that actually might make me ditch apple, when I next buy a tablet. It competes in a less obvious, but more effective way, I think.

John, I sincerely hope you're right. I think windows 10 is a great piece of work; the desktop/tablet mode work (including the new start screen!) should have been in Windows 8 from the start. If they had done those two things the buzz around Windows 8 would have been dramatically different.

I'm most hopeful about the new investments in the audio and MIDI capabilities and I hope to see those enhancements applied to WinRT and the universal app model as well. It's also my fervent wish to see ASIO become an unnecessary redundancy someday soon.
kevinwal
Re: Win 10 - Why Leave Win 7? 2015/08/21 02:18:20 (permalink)
kitekrazy1
I've noticed a lot of FW Sapphires going on sale. I wonder if those will be future doorstops.  The latest Focusrite FW units will work with a Thunderbolt adapter.
I hope you take this up with Focusrite support.  My list of bo not buy hardware vendors gets longer. If I could do it all over again it would be nothing but RME and possibly Focusrite.
I have an old Intel machine that has onboard FW. That use to be a standard on Intlel boards.  I still have an AMD system with FW that's a VIA chipset and never had a problem with that.  

My MOTU 8pre (FW) is getting a little long in the tooth and I'm eyeing USB interfaces as we speak given that FW is a languishing technology, not to mention something of a pain. I'm still wondering why thunderbolt is so all that compared to USB but an willing to be convinced.
kevinwal
Re: Win 10 - Why Leave Win 7? 2015/08/21 02:25:11 (permalink)
arachnaut
Doktor Avalanche
... All the start screen was anyway was an extra large start menu.

Actually I would beg to differ a little here.

The model for the Win 8 start screen was a touch pad with a fingerprint as the de facto scale factor. That made things much larger than a mouse pointer requires. But, moreover, the model was flat, not hierarchical. One had to scroll to see everything. With a mouse pointer and a hierarchical structure (folders, if you will), it was much easier to organize into compartments of functions that could all be seen in a small area.

The start screen has no folders and the compartments are small columnar areas with names at the top. That made scrolling over a large installation rather tedious, even if one placed all the most common stuff on the main screen area. So there is a tradeoff of extra mouse clicks into a hierarchy or extra hand swipes to move over a screen.

Naturally desktop mouse users would stay on the desktop where things were practically unchanged since Windows 7, so long as a start button replacement was provided.

In Windows 10, I still use the Classic Start Button enhancement as my 'Start' corner icon, but configure the Windows key to trigger the Win 10 Start menu. So I can use either rather easily.

My own feeling is that touch oriented things are best suited to small devices where portability is important and one doesn't want to carry a bunch of add-ons like a mouse or keypad.

If I had my way, this would all be voice activated like Star Trek computers so we could avoid all physical gestures.

One thing I find happening often on my laptop is that the touchpad sometimes triggers a mouse click event and things get activated/launched rather than selected/highlighted. The settings have to be tweaked and the fingers have to be trained. If I went to a different computer I might have to re-learn those instincts. I don't know if the touchscreen has similar issues. I do have a 10-point touchscreen, but I almost never use it. My hands stay in the keyboard/mouse area, not the screen area.

I suppose in the end it all boils down to one's habitual ways of working as seeming the best way to do things. And we all have a reluctance to change long-established habits.

Before the mouse came along, everything was keyboard-oriented and the new-fangled mouse seemed like an unnecessary add-on, but now I think of it as a keyboard extension.

I liked the flat screen, I hate digging through folders for stuff. To each his own.

post edited by kevinwal - 2015/08/21 02:33:37
kevinwal
Re: Win 10 - Why Leave Win 7? 2015/08/21 02:26:35 (permalink)
stxx

I think you did the right thing going back to 7 given the driver and plugin issues you encountered. MS did a really good job making 10 a painless upgrade and even sunk quite a bit of effort making it easy to undo if problems cropped up. I'd hold off until all my critical vendors provide clear Windows 10 guidance. If I had that in hand though, I'd make the move for sure, particularly if I had a multi-processor machine.
azslow3
Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3297
Re: Win 10 - Why Leave Win 7? 2015/08/21 02:39:52 (permalink)
I have updated old Atom based computer from Win7 to Win10 several days ago. Win7 with all updates and optimizations installed was "no go" even for mails. With Win10 this computer is back to life.

I know on better hardware the difference can be subtle, but my observations means they have done a good job optimizing everything.

Also note that we have 1 year only for free upgrade.

Sonar 8LE -> Platinum infinity, REAPER, Windows 10 pro
GA-EP35-DS3L, E7500, 4GB, GTX 1050 Ti, 2x500GB
RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
Skyline_UK
Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2133
Re: Win 10 - Why Leave Win 7? 2015/08/21 04:10:04 (permalink)
Doktor Avalanche
Skyline_UK
I upgraded my laptop from 7 to 10 yesterday. Text characters are now blurry. A search on the net shows this to be a major problem experienced by many. No solutions seem to be available and MSoft aren't fessing up. There's no way I'm going to risk upgrading my desktop DAW until this is fixed; it would be a disaster for the small detail in Sonar and audio apps etc.

Drivers again...
I am guessing you have an nvidia adapter, what's supplied with Windows 10 here is generally sub optimal. Simply visit nvidias web site and do a clean install of the latest driver for your display adapter. Then reboot. If issue still persists afterwards go to nvidia control panel and adjust the resolution to the max for each monitor.

Or do something similar with ATI or whatever...
Should fix it...

No, it's not the drivers. It's apparently a MSoft change to make text appear clearer on mobile devices and 4k monitors. Typical of the geeks who inhabit MSoft they believe that all laptop and desktop users  (millions of business and public sector organisations included...) should abandon them and  instead throw themselves into bean bags with whizzy tablets and iPhones in order to do their work. Morons.

Also,
(1) W10 failed to transfer the two standard (HP and Lexmark) network printers I have - it couldn't find ANYTHING on my home network, even when I placed my laptop right next to them!
(2) My mouse arrow also slid and floated anywhere it wished.
(3) I haven't found a SINGLE new feature, app or whatever in W10 that was of any use.

So, last night I rolled back to W7. Now, the best thing about W10 is how easy it is to roll back to W7 - ten minutes.
I now have my crisp fonts back as well as my printer corrections.
W7 is where I'm staying. I'm just glad I did this nightmare experiment on my laptop and not my desktop DAW.

My stuff

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600 @ 3.4GHz, 4 cores, 8 threads, 16GB RAM.
OS & Programs drive: 240GB SSD
Data drives: 1 x 1TB drive RAID mirrored, plus extra 1TB data drive 
Windows 10 Home 64 bit
Cakewalk by BandLab 64 bit, Studio One 3, 
Band In A Box 2016, Ozone 8
+ too many other plugins
BandLab page
Doktor Avalanche
Re: Win 10 - Why Leave Win 7? 2015/08/21 04:54:04 (permalink)
@Skyline

If your text was blurry it was either wrong resolution, zoomed in the wrong level or drivers. I've seen this regularly occur after installing windows 10 (mainly crappy nvidia drivers bundled). Also perhaps it needed another reboot afterwards. Win fonts are NOT blurry on desktops. Not sure where you grab your conclusions from (references?).

(1) Did you download install HP and Lexmark printer drivers afterwards from their websites? The other approach would be to uninstall the current drivers and reboot and see what it picks up.

(2) Same as (1) for your mouse driver

(3) Oh well. Guess you can't please 'em all.

Cheers..
post edited by Doktor Avalanche - 2015/08/21 05:14:10

Doktor Avalanche
Re: Win 10 - Why Leave Win 7? 2015/08/21 05:09:20 (permalink)
A quick goggle gives more info on these 'blurry' fonts:
http://www.tenforums.com/.../7423-blurry-text.html

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 12
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1