Helpful ReplyX3...here it is..for real! Sept. 28th ship date? wow

Page: << < ..678910 Showing page 10 of 10
Author
Noel Borthwick [Cakewalk]
Cakewalk Staff
  • Total Posts : 6475
Re: X3...here it is..for real! Sept. 28th ship date? wow 2013/09/27 20:15:22 (permalink)
WDI
jamescollins
If any Cakewalk staff members are still lurking, one of the nice things about VST3 (as far as I know, which isn't very much!) is it's ability to only consume CPU power when a clip is playing. Apparently with VST2, if there's an insert in the FX bin, it's using CPU power the whole time, even if the track only contains a clip that plays for a fraction of a second. Am I right about this? And if so, will this be one of VST3's features which will be implemented in X3?

For whatever reason this issue is always annoyingly skated over or I just don't understand the responses given. So I've come to the conclusion that there is absolutely no CPU performance improvements of VST3 over VST2.

In fact, as stated in previous threads by Cakewalk employees DXI actually implemented CPU throttling on empty tracks or where no clip was currently playing on the timeline. From my tests I've never actually witnessed this however. CPU consumed by a plugin was always constant in Sonar.

I'd love to be corrected about this issue.

VST3 silent buffer flagging is implemented in X3. There is no rocket science here - its just a flag that is passed to the plugin to tell it that it is being given silence to process and then SONAR checks the flag on the output and passes it down through out engine so it knows its a silent buffer and can skip the more costly math. We've been doing that stuff in our engine from about 1997 :) Plugins built with the DX SDK could query the buffer for an interface to check that state and take action if they wanted to. I'm not sure if any plugins took advantage of it though.

Afik the only VST3 plugins that may use this flag are the FabFilter ones. Waves doesn't. So just because the host implements it doesn't necessarily mean you will see an advantage. The most benefit would be for synths since they stream silence most of the time.

Noel Borthwick
Senior Manager Audio Core, BandLab
My Blog, Twitter, BandLab Profile
Cakewalk Staff
Re: X3...here it is..for real! Sept. 28th ship date? wow 2013/09/27 20:18:49 (permalink)
yevster
Notion will probably support ARA integration now that it's been snatched up by Presonus. And Finale will probably have that integration once MakeMusic is snatched up by the new Tascam Pro Audio (my wild, crazy baseless theory)

ARA would be of no use to Notion since its not an audio sequencer. ARA requires an audio input. I have a blog article coming up that explains this a bit.

Noel Borthwick
WDI
Max Output Level: -54.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2069
Re: X3...here it is..for real! Sept. 28th ship date? wow 2013/09/27 23:02:04 (permalink)
WDI
jamescollins
If any Cakewalk staff members are still lurking, one of the nice things about VST3 (as far as I know, which isn't very much!) is it's ability to only consume CPU power when a clip is playing. Apparently with VST2, if there's an insert in the FX bin, it's using CPU power the whole time, even if the track only contains a clip that plays for a fraction of a second. Am I right about this? And if so, will this be one of VST3's features which will be implemented in X3?

For whatever reason this issue is always annoyingly skated over or I just don't understand the responses given. So I've come to the conclusion that there is absolutely no CPU performance improvements of VST3 over VST2.

In fact, as stated in previous threads by Cakewalk employees DXI actually implemented CPU throttling on empty tracks or where no clip was currently playing on the timeline. From my tests I've never actually witnessed this however. CPU consumed by a plugin was always constant in Sonar.

I'd love to be corrected about this issue.

VST3 silent buffer flagging is implemented in X3. There is no rocket science here - its just a flag that is passed to the plugin to tell it that it is being given silence to process and then SONAR checks the flag on the output and passes it down through out engine so it knows its a silent buffer and can skip the more costly math. We've been doing that stuff in our engine from about 1997 :) Plugins built with the DX SDK could query the buffer for an interface to check that state and take action if they wanted to. I'm not sure if any plugins took advantage of it though. Afik the only VST3 plugins that may use this flag are the FabFilter ones. Waves doesn't. So just because the host implements it doesn't necessarily mean you will see an advantage. The most benefit would be for synths since they stream silence most of the time. 

Thanks for the reply Noel.

I guess I was thinking the host Sonar could use the silent flag passed back by the plugin to then completely bypass the effect when it's not being utilized, like bypassing it in the effects bin or turning it off and then turning the effect back on when a clip requires the plugin for processing.

I haven't seen a host do this automatically. I know SAW Studio does allow for bypassing VST effects, or turning them off and on, in real time using an envelope and the effects are easily measurable.

That's how I was interpreting VST3 spec but it looks like it is the host that would need this functionalty.

From my experience Sonar is constant in its plugin CPU utilization regardless of a clip present or not. Even when the project is not playing the CPU utilization of a plugin appears constant. Perhaps there is a difference but its not measurable such as bypassing the plugin and the CPU utilization drops.

I'm not talking about virtual instruments but rather effects plugins.

So I guess the answer the question, does VST3 give any CPU performance benefits, the answer would be no, unless the plugin utilizes this flag and the host bypasses the plugin.

And perhaps I'm just confusing everything in which case the simpler question would be...

Are there any performance benefits from VST3?
post edited by WDI - 2013/09/27 23:12:30

Sonar 7 PE
Windows XP Pofessional (SP3)
MSI K8N Neo4-F
AMD Athlon 64 3500+
2 GB PC 3200 Ram
RME Fireface 800
Edirol FA-66
CM Labs MotorMix

Old stuff: ARJO
Player
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 330
Re: X3...here it is..for real! Sept. 28th ship date? wow 2013/09/27 23:19:18 (permalink)
stevec
Yup, X3 hasn't been officially released yet, so the only mistakes (AFAICT) are retailers putting up their links too soon.   Everything you read here is just pre-release fever.  Or a kindergarten party.

X3 is featured in an ad for Roland interfaces on pages 342 and 343 of the new Full Compass catalog I received this week.

Studio Cat i7
yevster
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 761
Re: X3...here it is..for real! Sept. 28th ship date? wow 2013/09/27 23:48:15 (permalink)
Noel, it is unthinkable that you have not yet written a book on audio software development.
Cakewalk Staff
Re: X3...here it is..for real! Sept. 28th ship date? wow 2013/09/28 00:02:09 (permalink)
WDI
And perhaps I'm just confusing everything in which case the simpler question would be...
Are there any performance benefits from VST3?

You may be confusing the silent buffer stuff with host bypass. VST3 plugins can support an automatable bypass parameter which allows the host to create an envelope to bypass the plugin when not needed. That should save some CPU. Again this is not technically specific to VST3 - even a VST2 plugin can do so if it wants to. The silent buffer flag is a runtime per buffer processing flag and can save cpu depending on how the plugin implements it.

Other than these two cases I can't think of any reason why a VST3 would use less cpu. If anything VST2 was somewhat lighter weight compared to VST3.

Noel Borthwick
daveny5
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 16934
Re: X3...here it is..for real! Sept. 28th ship date? wow 2013/09/28 00:03:19 (permalink)
After Midnight, no X3. G'night.

Dave
Computer: Intel i7, ASROCK H170M, 16GB/5TB+, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Sonar Platinum, TASCAM US-16x08, Cakewalk UM-3G MIDI I/F
Instruments: SL-880 Keyboard controller, Korg 05R/W, Korg N1R, KORG Wavestation EX
Axes: Fender Stratocaster, Line6 Variax 300, Ovation Acoustic, Takamine Nylon Acoustic, Behringer GX212 amp, Shure SM-58 mic, Rode NT1 condenser mic.
Outboard: Mackie 1402-VLZ mixer, TC Helicon VoiceLive 2, Digitech Vocalist WS EX, PODXTLive, various stompboxes and stuff. 
Controllers: Korg nanoKONTROL, Wacom Bamboo Touchpad
daveny5
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 16934
Re: X3...here it is..for real! Sept. 28th ship date? wow 2013/09/28 00:03:19 (permalink)
Dupe..

Dave
Computer: Intel i7, ASROCK H170M, 16GB/5TB+, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Sonar Platinum, TASCAM US-16x08, Cakewalk UM-3G MIDI I/F
Instruments: SL-880 Keyboard controller, Korg 05R/W, Korg N1R, KORG Wavestation EX
Axes: Fender Stratocaster, Line6 Variax 300, Ovation Acoustic, Takamine Nylon Acoustic, Behringer GX212 amp, Shure SM-58 mic, Rode NT1 condenser mic.
Outboard: Mackie 1402-VLZ mixer, TC Helicon VoiceLive 2, Digitech Vocalist WS EX, PODXTLive, various stompboxes and stuff. 
Controllers: Korg nanoKONTROL, Wacom Bamboo Touchpad
Page: << < ..678910 Showing page 10 of 10
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1