The BIG Orchestral Library Shootout * * *

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 10 of 13
Author
Red Shirt Guy
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 24
Re:The SONAR Orchestral Library Shootout 2010/07/26 00:51:44 (permalink)
Just sent mine in! 

Here's a couple of links that I ran across that I found very helpful:

http://www.independentrecording.net/irn/resources/freqchart/main_display.htm an interactive frequency and instrument mapping chart.

The Reason Most ITB mixes don’t Sound as good as Analog mixes (restored) which helped me a LOT in understanding how to set up for mixing.

Cheers!

Gordon.
post edited by Red Shirt Guy - 2010/07/26 01:10:12
Twigman
Max Output Level: -38.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3667
Re:The SONAR Orchestral Library Shootout 2010/07/26 07:06:40 (permalink)
Looking forward to hearing what others have made....and looking forward to the critics' reviews of mine. :)

Are they going to be hosted in such a way that comments can be made and read about each submission?

Would be great to get feedback.

Become a Fan on Facebook
Buy our stuff on iTunes
Q9550-P5QL-E-8GB1066RAM-GT9800 1GB-RME HDSP9632-W7Prox64-X2x64
John6528
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 409
Re:The SONAR Orchestral Library Shootout 2010/07/26 10:12:43 (permalink)
bitflipper

This (interpolate below) is what I try and use. Unfortunately it just doesn't work, doesn't do anything, about 50% of the time and I have no idea why. Tried it on Trek Improved.mid and nothing happens.
Do you also click the "Value" button? Do you leave it at channel 1-15 or limit it to the channel you've selected? I've tried all of these.
John

When you bring up the Interpolate dialog, deselect all but "Control". In the first two textboxes next to the "Control" checkbox, type "11" into both Min and Max. Leave everything else as-is. Now click OK.

On the second screen, go to the corresponding textboxes to the right of the "Control" checkbox (now disabled) and type "7" into both Min and Max. Click OK, and all your CC11s are now CC7s.

Also pulled the horn solo out and gave it a diff horn sound. Is that legal? Or do you have to leave it as is?

I think that's entirely in the spirit of this exercise. Most of us have had to separate the percussion instruments to accommodate various samplers. Separating individual instruments to apply different sounds is conceptually no different than inserting a patch change.

Make sure you note these things when you email your submission to Randy, because other Miroslav users (like me) will find them interesting.

ChrisE
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1
Re:The SONAR Orchestral Library Shootout 2010/07/26 10:20:51 (permalink)
Hi, I saw the link to this from the VI-Control forum and think this is a great idea.  I just wanted to clarify the point regarding using the same library before I spend time mocking this up.

Alot of the high end libaries will only focus on a single section of the orchestra ie Strings, Percussion etc.

The opening post mentions hearing examples with LASS (a string only library) but the welcome-readme document says:

"The only restriction is we'd like to encourage you to use one library at a time.  If you have several at your disposal, submit seperate versions for each"

Now I can understand having a rule to impose one sample library per section but one library for the whole orchestra will severly impact on the legitimacy of this entire project!

Sorry if this has been mentioned, I have scan read this thread but didn't see this discussed.
rbowser
Max Output Level: -10 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6518
Re:The SONAR Orchestral Library Shootout 2010/07/26 10:58:49 (permalink)
ChrisE

Hi, I saw the link to this from the VI-Control forum and think this is a great idea.  I just wanted to clarify the point regarding using the same library before I spend time mocking this up.

Alot of the high end libaries will only focus on a single section of the orchestra ie Strings, Percussion etc.

The opening post mentions hearing examples with LASS (a string only library) but the welcome-readme document says:

"The only restriction is we'd like to encourage you to use one library at a time.  If you have several at your disposal, submit seperate versions for each"

Now I can understand having a rule to impose one sample library per section but one library for the whole orchestra will severly impact on the legitimacy of this entire project!

Sorry if this has been mentioned, I have scan read this thread but didn't see this discussed.

Great, Chris - Glad you saw the info, glad you're wanting to join in-and WELCOME to the SONAR Forum!

AND - Excellent catch.  I agree, you found a contradiction in the text file.

David "Bitflipper" needs to speak for himself, but I'll say that it's a totally legitimate point you make.  At the very first of this, we were thinking of "full orchestra libraries only."  But then later that was too restricting, since there are good libraries such as LASS which are strings only.

So I would correct that info to say that it would be good if mixing libraries in each section of the orchestra could be avoided.  It wouldn't be helpful if a string section were hand chosen soloists from several different libraries - nobody would be hearing a clear demo that way.  But if the string section is all from one library--everyone will have a chance to hear that library.  Same with brass - if you have SAM Brass, for instance--sticking with that one library for the brass will demo that library well.

THANks for catching the contradiction - We'll fix that up.  Hope to be hearing a contribution from you!

Randy B.

Sonar X3e Studio
Roland A-800 MIDI keyboard controller
Alesis i|O2 interface
Gigabyte Technology-AMD Phenom II @ 3 GHz
8 Gb RAM 6 Core Windows 7 Home Premium x64
with dual monitors
bitflipper
01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
  • Total Posts : 26036
Re:The SONAR Orchestral Library Shootout 2010/07/26 11:14:52 (permalink)
I may not have expressed it clearly, but the readme file should convey the desire to use one library when possible. We certainly don't want to exclude any library just because it only does strings or horns or percussion. We've discussed earlier in this thread how it's common practice to mix and match libraries in order to get the best each has to offer.

So if you want to use more than one library, no problem. But I would encourage you to stick to one lib for all the strings, one for the brass, etc. That way, listeners will be able to correlate what they're hearing with the tools you used.
post edited by bitflipper - 2010/07/26 11:16:51

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
rbowser
Re:The SONAR Orchestral Library Shootout 2010/07/26 11:20:54 (permalink)
bitflipper

I may not have expressed it clearly, but the readme file should convey the desire to use one library when possible. We certainly don't want to exclude any library just because it only does strings or horns or percussion. We've discussed earlier in this thread how it's common practice to mix and match libraries in order to get the best each has to offer.

So if you want to use more than one library, no problem. But I would encourage you to stick to one lib for all the strings, one for the brass, etc. That way, listeners will be able to correlate what they're hearing with the tools you used.

Hi Bit - Good to see you so soon on this same question.  Glad you concur that to stick with one library per orchestra section is the more accurate instruction.  As new member ChrisE points out, there are so many good libraries which focus on just one section - strings, brass, woods, percussion.

It's the pick and choosing of individual instruments which would make a recording of not much value, since we wouldn't be getting any kind of clear picture from that kind of mix-and-match recording--EVEN though that's more often the way MIDI musicians usually work in developing their tracks.

--side note - Important email just now sent to you, Bit--please check your in box.

Randy B.

Sonar X3e Studio
Alesis i|O2 interface
with dual monitors
Matt
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 346
Re:The SONAR Orchestral Library Shootout 2010/07/26 12:39:15 (permalink)
rbowser

So I would correct that info to say that it would be good if mixing libraries in each section of the orchestra could be avoided.  It wouldn't be helpful if a string section were hand chosen soloists from several different libraries - nobody would be hearing a clear demo that way.  But if the string section is all from one library--everyone will have a chance to hear that library.  Same with brass - if you have SAM Brass, for instance--sticking with that one library for the brass will demo that library well.
I understand the point of sticking to one library for demo purposes, and I agree with it.  I just would add that I wouldn't mind hearing mixed libraries as well.  You will probably have plenty of submissions done with one library, it would be cool to have a few that were done without that limitation.  The point being to have it sound as realistic as possible even if mix-and-matching different patches from different libraries is the best way to achieve that.  I know a lot of my friends that do orchestral mock-ups would never dream of limiting theirselves to one library.

All of my template sounds are combinations of different libraries, for example my stock marcato string patch in my template is a mix of several of the Sonic Implant 'spiccato' patches along with an East West 'marcato' patch and a really old Prosonus Strings 'marcato' patch.  It would be fun to quiz people on how they managed to achieve certain sounds.  Just a thought...

rbowser
Re:The SONAR Orchestral Library Shootout 2010/07/26 13:36:08 (permalink)
Hi, Matt - Thanks for your thoughts here on your post.

The idea for this particular event grew out of another thread where advice was being sought about creating the cello lines in a virtual instrument recording of "Strawberry Fields."

David "Bitflipper" got the idea that it would be neat to create some recordings which could demonstrate what various orchestral libraries are capable of - with the important caveat that there's no such thing as a "pure demo" since the human being who uses any given soft synth will lend whatever expertise he has to the recording.

The scope of this thing we're doing, the parameters are to limit the selection of libraries used in these recordings all using the same source MIDI file so we can all do some shopping - we can take a listen and draw our own conclusions about how different libraries sound.

I think you understand all that, and you said you like the concept.

But the rest of what you're suggesting is beyond the scope of what we're doing.  This isn't supposed to be a demonstration of what users are capable of doing when working the way they usually work.  Of course people don't usually limit themselves to using only one library/soft synth in a recording.  But that isn't what's being tested - not the full capabilities of the contributors, but to try and focus on the abilities of specific libraries.

So the guidelines have all been thought out and put into motion here, and those limitations are what we need to stick to in order for this "shoot out" to have the intended results.

Thanks again for your post.

Randy B.

Sonar X3e Studio
Alesis i|O2 interface
with dual monitors
rbowser
Re:The SONAR Orchestral Library Shootout 2010/07/26 13:40:14 (permalink)
Note - the "Welcome-Read Me" text in the Box folder has been edited to reflect the helpful input from ChrisE.  The parameters of this event are more clear now.

Randy B.

Sonar X3e Studio
Alesis i|O2 interface
with dual monitors
bitflipper
Re:The SONAR Orchestral Library Shootout 2010/07/26 14:28:31 (permalink)
Randy, my Dim Pro version is enroute. It's the correct file this time. At least, I'm pretty sure it is. I'm not used to collecting multiple versions in one project folder.

Next up for me is another hardware synth, the Kurzweil PC2R. I normally use this synth as a temporary placeholder while I'm composing MIDI, the way a lot of people use the TTS-1. Using a hardware synth for that purpose has advantages, not the least of which is near-zero CPU load.

My Stuff
rbowser
Re:The SONAR Orchestral Library Shootout 2010/07/26 14:41:57 (permalink)
bitflipper

Randy, my Dim Pro version is enroute. It's the correct file this time. At least, I'm pretty sure it is. I'm not used to collecting multiple versions in one project folder.

Next up for me is another hardware synth, the Kurzweil PC2R. I normally use this synth as a temporary placeholder while I'm composing MIDI, the way a lot of people use the TTS-1. Using a hardware synth for that purpose has advantages, not the least of which is near-zero CPU load.

"The correct file this time"
-HA!--I've heard That one before. 

I'll go move it into the Trek folder along with your notes, thanks David.

NICE - that you're doing one with the Kurzweil.  I have the good ol Korg X5DR module which is a nice GM module, and gets use as a sketch pad here.  It IS nice to just get down to music without latency worries sometimes.

Randy B.

Sonar X3e Studio
Alesis i|O2 interface
with dual monitors
bitflipper
Re:The SONAR Orchestral Library Shootout 2010/07/26 17:09:58 (permalink)
I've just sent you the PCR2 version. Of all the methods I've used so far - this is my sixth submission - the quickest and easiest of all was the Kurzweil. Very little tweaking was done, even the percussion track was no problem. This synth sits quietly in my rack most of the time and I rarely reach for it as a first-choice solution. After this exercise, I may put the old gal to work more often.

My Stuff
Johannes H
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 333
Re:The SONAR Orchestral Library Shootout 2010/07/26 17:35:20 (permalink)
I have just sent two versions.
One from a sampler and one from a sample based synth.

I am not familiar with this piece of music so I`m not sure if I have balanced things right, but it will be fun to listen to the different versions.

Best, JH

bitflipper
Re:The SONAR Orchestral Library Shootout 2010/07/26 17:48:16 (permalink)
Thanks, Johannes.

I think we've almost accumulated enough submissions to justify posting them. I know there are a few folks who are very close to completion - let's get them up there so we can all hear them!

Really, we're not holding off on the unveiling to be cruel. We just don't want to put anybody off from contributing or to otherwise influence their productions based on what others have already done.

My Stuff
rbowser
Re:The SONAR Orchestral Library Shootout 2010/07/26 23:47:55 (permalink)
BIZARRO OBSERVATION--

To me, the "B" section of this "Star Trek: The Motion Picture" theme sounds like a half time rendition of what little kids sing when they're being mean,--- "Nah nah nah NAaaaah Nah."

Anyone else get that? 

Randy B.

Sonar X3e Studio
Alesis i|O2 interface
with dual monitors
bitflipper
Re:The SONAR Orchestral Library Shootout 2010/07/27 00:28:17 (permalink)
And if you play it backward it hits all the audio cues in the Wizard of Oz.

My Stuff
rbowser
Re:The SONAR Orchestral Library Shootout 2010/07/27 00:30:24 (permalink)
bitflipper

And if you play it backward it hits all the audio cues in the Wizard of Oz.

HEY COooool!

----which means -- you don't hear "Nah nah nah NAaaah Nah"---?

Randy B.

Sonar X3e Studio
Alesis i|O2 interface
with dual monitors
T.S.
Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 654
Re:The SONAR Orchestral Library Shootout 2010/07/27 12:30:24 (permalink)
Hi Randy, out of curiosity how did you get this/these midi files?  Did you make them yourself from a score or did you get them somewhere else?

Sorry if you mentioned this before, heh heh, too many posts to go through them all.

Thanks,

T.S.
rbowser
Re:The SONAR Orchestral Library Shootout 2010/07/27 12:46:21 (permalink)
T.S.

Hi Randy, out of curiosity how did you get this/these midi files?  Did you make them yourself from a score or did you get them somewhere else?

Sorry if you mentioned this before, heh heh, too many posts to go through them all.

Thanks,

T.S.

Hi, T. S. This is a MIDI file I've had for a long time.  It came with a GM Sound Font set called "Unison."  To demonstrate the collection, the developer provided several MIDI sequences including a medley of all the various Star Trek themes.  This section from "Star Trek: The Motion Picture" is the last portion of that medley.

I wrote to the sequence's author, but mail couldn't go through.  It was old information, posted online in 1998, so this person has long since changed his email address, and his company name doesn't seem to exist anymore.

Regardless, I gave full credit to him, and maintained that info in the Markers of the file where he originally placed it - You'll see all the text if you go to Markers View:

Theme from Star Trek: The Motion Picture
Music composed by Jerry Goldsmith (take note--some people have been thinking this is by John Williams)
Sequenced by GaryW001 at AOL.com (defunct address)
Original arrangement by Calvin Custer
Sequence copyright 1998 by Blue Max Distribution

Randy B.

Sonar X3e Studio
Alesis i|O2 interface
with dual monitors
bitflipper
Re:The SONAR Orchestral Library Shootout 2010/07/27 16:50:09 (permalink)
I picked up on that, too, and wondered "who the heck is Jerry Goldsmith?".

So I found his website, Jerrry Goldsmith Online, and read up on the guy. He's got quite an impressive resume, starting in the 1950's. Quite the music factory, Jerry has been! Even if many of the films and TV shows he scored were themselves pretty forgettable (quick - can you hum the theme from "Rambo"?), he is clearly one of the more respected practitioners around Hollywood.

Check out his lengthy list of awards and nominations. I'm guessing he's retired now, since there are no entries beyond 2003. Plus he's in his 80's now.

My Stuff
jsaras
Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2642
Re:The SONAR Orchestral Library Shootout 2010/07/27 17:28:17 (permalink)
Jerry Goldsmith passed away in 2004.  It's a shame that his name never quite became as popular as John Williams, and he was a little bothered by that.  John Williams had the good fortune of a steady working relationship with Steven Spielberg.  Goldsmith had to freelance it, so he endured having a lot of his scores tossed out because of the usual competitve pressures of the movie scoring industry.

As a movie composer he was perhaps the most talented and versatile of his generation.  He could write that Williams-style stuff better than anybody, but that was only one small aspect of his vocabulary.  Many working composers consider Goldsmith's scores the "gold standard" by which all film scores are to be measured.

One of my favorite scores of his is the theme from Basic Instinct.  That really redefined "psychodrama" music for me.

Like many musicians, he had a bit of a troubled life.  Self-doubt and alcohol aren't a good combination. He often felt like we wrote his last note....and then he'd snap oout of it and go on a week long writing spree and completed an entire film.  

He often said that the majority  of his composing was craft/skill and 2% was inspiration.  That has inspired me to work at the craft aspect of music.  I don't think you can buy any of his scores/orchestrations, but some of that material is used at Steven Scott Smalley's "Hollywood Orchestration" seminars. 

http://www.audiorecordingandservices.com ("one minute free" mastering)

http://tinyurl.com/3n6kj (free Sonar mixing template and Ozone mastering preset)
planetearth
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 763
Re:The SONAR Orchestral Library Shootout 2010/07/27 18:32:52 (permalink)
Jerry Goldsmith passed away in 2004. It's a shame that his name never quite became as popular as John Williams...

I've heard a lot of Jerry's work, and I've liked pretty most of everything I've heard. FWIW, I may be the only one here who thinks this Star Trek theme is actually a pretty good fit as a theme for the show. If you get a chance to read up on Jerry Goldsmith and Alexander Courage (who wrote the original ST theme), you'll see their names are mentioned with John Williams' quite a bit.

Ironically, while Jerry replaced Alexander in writing the new ST theme, Alexander still orchestrated much of what Jerry wrote--including the theme we've been playing with here! That must have been awkward....

Wikipedia (yeah, I know, I know...) has some interesting info on both men, as does IMDB.com.

Personally, I wish we could get the score for this. I think this is a great exercise, but trying to figure out what the music is supposed to do by "reverse-engineering" the parts is not as easy as being able to look at the score and see where the crescendos decrescendos, etc. are. Still, it's fun, and I appreciate the efforts of everyone involved.

And Red Shirt Guy, thanks for those links--very informative!

Okay...I'm going back to finish orchestrating this for my Poly-800....

SONAR Platinum ▪ NI Komplete, Korg DLC, Arturia V5 Collection, Dimension Pro, IK Multimedia & other synths ▪ Les Paul, Peavey and Yamaha guitars. Listen to some of my stuff here: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife . Comments from other SONAR users are always welcome!
jsaras
Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2642
Re:The SONAR Orchestral Library Shootout 2010/07/27 18:46:27 (permalink)
I have the conductor's score, but it's on that gargantuan-size score paper.  The MIDI-file is clearly a "by ear" transcription.  There are scale runs in the strings that aren't in the MIDI file, etc.  But to be fair, they're not clearly audible in the original audio recording.  It's really hard to sus out an entire orchestra's worth of parts by ear from a recording!

http://www.audiorecordingandservices.com ("one minute free" mastering)

http://tinyurl.com/3n6kj (free Sonar mixing template and Ozone mastering preset)
John6528
Re:The SONAR Orchestral Library Shootout.. almost done 2010/07/27 20:26:33 (permalink)
Finished but for some strange reason I don't want to go into the string volume is way low coming from the synth.

How can I bounce just the five string tracks and then use that to balance with. I've never bounced anything byut the whole thing.

John

ps:

using the Philharmonic my tracks look like...
1 Horn solo
2 Horn Staccato
3 Horn Legato

and same for all the brass and string parts for total of 27 tracks.
John6528
Re:The SONAR Orchestral Library Shootout 2010/07/27 22:46:52 (permalink)
Jut sent mine in. Needs more time balancing sections but I am out of time.
Sending the brass, win, & string sections to give better idea of Philharmik which I think is unwieldy but worth it.

John
rbowser
Re:The SONAR Orchestral Library Shootout.. almost done 2010/07/27 22:50:59 (permalink)
John6528

Finished but for some strange reason I don't want to go into the string volume is way low coming from the synth.

How can I bounce just the five string tracks and then use that to balance with. I've never bounced anything byut the whole thing.

John

ps:

using the Philharmonic my tracks look like...
1 Horn solo
2 Horn Staccato
3 Horn Legato

and same for all the brass and string parts for total of 27 tracks.

Hi, John

First make sure that the levels of the strings are coming out at a good level from your synth.  And make sure your controller data for controlling the strings are using a good range of volume, so that at their loudest their reaching the full value of 127.

It can be tricky mixing an orchestral group like this because instruments are competing for some of the same frequency ranges.  EQ helps on the audio, but that's an art, and maybe beyond what you want to try for this recording.

Here's how to bounce just the string tracks - and I suggest you bounce to 5 separate tracks, one for each of the string tracks, so you can make the most out of balancing them with the rest of the tracks.

--While holding shift, one by one select each of the string tracks, making sure the full lengths of the MIDI tracks have been selected.

--Still holding shift, also select the associated audio outs for each of the MIDI tracks.

--Go to the Bounce dialogue under Edit, and on the right hand side you'll see a menu choice which defaults to Entire Mix.  Click that, and choose Tracks instead.

--Now in the window there in the dialogue pop-up you'll see your audio tracks selected.

--The rest of the default settings will be OK. 

Go - and you'll have your string tracks bounced to audio at the bottom of the list in Track View.

Now you can control their volume even more, probably starting with lowering the volume of all the other tracks.

Note - I suggest you bounce all of your MIDI tracks to audio before mixing.  There's much more control available when you're working only with audio tracks during the final mix.

That should get you to the finish line.

Randy B.

Sonar X3e Studio
Alesis i|O2 interface
with dual monitors
bitflipper
Re:The SONAR Orchestral Library Shootout.. almost done 2010/07/27 23:27:05 (permalink)
How can I bounce just the five string tracks and then use that to balance with. I've never bounced anything byut the whole thing. John

John, the way I've been doing it is not by bouncing but by simply combining all the strings in a bus. Same with percussion, brass and woodwinds. Once I have a nice balance between the instruments within each section, I can then easily adjust levels on those 4 buses to get an overall balance between the sections. On one of my synths, I had a similar problem with the brass instruments being too quiet, so I just turned up the brass bus.

My Stuff
bitflipper
Re:The SONAR Orchestral Library Shootout.. almost done 2010/07/27 23:30:01 (permalink)
Note - I suggest you bounce all of your MIDI tracks to audio before mixing. There's much more control available when you're working only with audio tracks during the final mix.

I think Randy meant to say "when you're working only with MIDI tracks during the final mix".

And I agree about bouncing prior to mixing.

My Stuff
rbowser
Re:The SONAR Orchestral Library Shootout.. almost done 2010/07/27 23:40:49 (permalink)
Got to your question about the strings too late John, sorry about that.  But I now have your MP3 in the email and it sounds nice!-- You did it.

And hiya, Bit - "...I think Randy meant to say 'when you're working only with MIDI tracks during the final mix'..."

--Well, no, like in the first half of that quote - I suggested that bouncing all the MIDI tracks down to audio first, not just the strings, would be a good idea.  So when you get to the mixing stage, you're dealing only with Audio tracks which were recorded from the MIDI performances.  So, "there's more control available when you're working only with Audio tracks during the final mix."  Soft synths have been turned off, MIDI tracks are muted, archived, and cleared out of view via the Track Manager.

Maybe you make a distinction between Audio which is a recording of Real World things like physical instruments and singers and Audio which is a recording of a synth - ?--But I don't make that distinction--I mean that I prefer working with Audio tracks only during a mix.  No matter how much MIDI editing, balancing and tweaking I do - there is always a Huge room for improvement that I'm only able to pull off by mixing Audio.

Randy B.

Sonar X3e Studio
Alesis i|O2 interface
with dual monitors
Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 10 of 13
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1