Helpful ReplyBig announcement: #SONAR4Life, #SONAR4Mac, #SONAR4You

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 24
Author
PilotGav
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 436
Re: Big announcement: #SONAR4 Life, #SONAR4Mac, #SONAR4You 2016/06/01 12:57:36 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby rtucker55 2016/06/01 13:52:36
Soundwise
Excellent marketing, bravo!

I respectfully disagree. :-)
Andrew Rossa
Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1910
Re: Big announcement: #SONAR4 Life, #SONAR4Mac, #SONAR4You 2016/06/01 12:58:01 (permalink)
MakerDP
Here's a question about Lifetime Updates that I don't remember seeing addressed...

Say I do upgrade to Lifetime SPLAT... then Overloud releases TH4. Last month we got the "basic upgrade" from TH2 to TH3 as part of the rolling update. Will this kind of thing continue to happen for stuff we already own the "basic" versions of if we are on Lifetime?

I'm mostly wondering about Addictive Drums since that is what I use most. Synth instruments I don't really care about at this time but I know others would.

If this was last year and Lifetime Updates were in place, you would have received it. Keep in mind, deciding to bundle stuff in SONAR has been something we've had to look at for decades. There is a cost to it so we have to always weigh that into any business decisions. If someone approached us about a bundle and wanted a ridiculous price, we would not to that now, or yesterday, or 10 years ago. 
einstein36
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 511
Re: Big announcement: #SONAR4 Life, #SONAR4Mac, #SONAR4You 2016/06/01 12:59:30 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby martinh 2016/06/01 13:36:44
Here's a question for you Andrew,
with two different code bases now for Sonar, you guys are not going to get distracted by one or the other and give only a half attempt in continuing updates, fixes for either code base will you??

Twitter: ImagineerR
Facebook: www.facebook.com/einstein36

Andrew Rossa
Re: Big announcement: #SONAR4 Life, #SONAR4Mac, #SONAR4You 2016/06/01 12:59:55 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby SteveStrummerUK 2016/06/01 13:50:39
PilotGav
Soundwise

No idea what you are so upset about. We gave customers lifetime updates and a renewed focus on improving certain core areas. We've addressed many customer concerns and shown we are listening. It's impossible to please everyone but not sure why you are so upset. But you are definitely entitled to your opinion :)
Andrew Rossa
Re: Big announcement: #SONAR4 Life, #SONAR4Mac, #SONAR4You 2016/06/01 13:03:00 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby jbow 2016/06/03 09:55:11
einstein36
with two different code bases now for Sonar, you guys are not going to get distracted by one or the other and give only a half attempt in continuing updates, fixes for either code base will you??

As Noel mentioned in his SOS interview, the code bases for different OSes is not an issue that should deter development. One of the big announcements here is our commitment to improving core features that have not been working as expected. We plan on tackling these issues this year. A Mac OS X version will not mean you should expect less Windows development. Have you seen what's coming for this year? :) 

And there will be other things coming down the road as well. 
lludwick
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 74
Re: Big announcement: #SONAR4 Life, #SONAR4Mac, #SONAR4You 2016/06/01 13:03:23 (permalink)
I'm not sure, but I think all who have Platinum should be getting emails probably starting today. I received the offer several weeks ago because they did a test offer to see how well it would be received. When I upgraded to Lifetime, I saw my end date was in the year 2037. Today I looked and my end date was "infinity" ... that is the infinity symbol.

I supposed someone who has to worry about the $99 for an upgrade from Platinum because of low funds might want to consider using a credit card and paying a small amount off each month if that is possible. It will save a ton of money in the long run. Just a suggestion since I am also retired and know how that goes.

Larry Ludwick

My Music on Soundclick:
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=823722

Revrat
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7
Re: Big announcement: #SONAR4 Life, #SONAR4Mac, #SONAR4You 2016/06/01 13:03:53 (permalink)

Yes, if you log in you will see that we are only charging you the difference in price from $199 and what you paid earlier this year. We sent out emails to folks like you a couple of weeks ago. So because you renewed, you would pay $99. Just log in to the store and you will see your price.

I'm not seeing any special pricing reflecting that I recently upgraded to Platinum nor did I get any advance email. though I seem to get all other emails regarding updating the product I recently upgraded to.

Andrew Rossa
Re: Big announcement: #SONAR4 Life, #SONAR4Mac, #SONAR4You 2016/06/01 13:07:26 (permalink)
Revrat

Yes, if you log in you will see that we are only charging you the difference in price from $199 and what you paid earlier this year. We sent out emails to folks like you a couple of weeks ago. So because you renewed, you would pay $99. Just log in to the store and you will see your price.

I'm not seeing any special pricing reflecting that I recently upgraded to Platinum nor did I get any advance email. though I seem to get all other emails regarding updating the product I recently upgraded to.

This is for people who upgraded last year and then renewed this year. So they are on the second cycle. I see you just upgraded for the first time earlier this year. 
PilotGav
Re: Big announcement: #SONAR4 Life, #SONAR4Mac, #SONAR4You 2016/06/01 13:08:18 (permalink)

No idea what you are so upset about. We gave customers lifetime updates and a renewed focus on improving certain core areas. We've addressed many customer concerns and shown we are listening. It's impossible to please everyone but not sure why you are so upset. But you are definitely entitled to your opinion :)

I didn't say I was upset. Where does it say I'm upset?

I said I disagree that it was great marketing. I LOVE the announcement... just not the way you made it. 
bnwitt
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 161
Re: Big announcement: #SONAR4 Life, #SONAR4Mac, #SONAR4You 2016/06/01 13:08:56 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby martinh 2016/06/01 13:37:30
Well not being a mac user I'm pretty let down by this announcement.  It seems like a money grab.  You get $199 or $99 or whatever from all of you PC users who go for the lifetime update and expand your market to another OS for more sales.  Problem with that is unless you just doubled your staff, you will be splitting man hours between the operating systems bug fixing and improving code/features so we PC users (many of us who have been with you since the 80s) are going to see less support.  Seems like a bean counter decision to me.

Barry
PilotGav
Re: Big announcement: #SONAR4 Life, #SONAR4Mac, #SONAR4You 2016/06/01 13:09:09 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby bapu 2016/06/01 14:56:30
lludwick
I'm not sure, but I think all who have Platinum should be getting emails probably starting today. I received the offer several weeks ago because they did a test offer to see how well it would be received. When I upgraded to Lifetime, I saw my end date was in the year 2037. Today I looked and my end date was "infinity" ... that is the infinity symbol.

And what the heck are we supposed to do after Infinity? Move to Pro Tools?? ;-)
icontakt
Max Output Level: -32.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4266
Re: Big announcement: #SONAR4 Life, #SONAR4Mac, #SONAR4You 2016/06/01 13:13:24 (permalink)
I'm sure these new features are exciting for many (and I'm very surprised, and very glad, to see Take management and comping enhancements being listed).

BUT........when will longstanding bugs in basic operations be fixed? The track folder open/close button has been broken since the introduction of X3, track/clip automation has some obvious bugs, etc. etc.

Tak T.

Primary Laptop: Core i7-4710MQ CPU, 16GB RAM, 7200RPM HDD, Windows 7 Home Premium OS (Japanese) x64 SP1
Secondary Laptop: Core2 Duo CPU, 8GB RAM, 7200RPM HDD, Windows 7 Professional OS (Japanese) x64 SP1
Audio Interface: iD14 (ASIO)
Keyboard Controller/MIDI Interface: A-800PRO
DAW: SONAR Platinum x64 (latest update installed)
AT
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10654
Re: Big announcement: #SONAR4 Life, #SONAR4Mac, #SONAR4You 2016/06/01 13:13:25 (permalink)
I think Cake should make a separate thread for people with payment problems.  Most of the 40+ pages of post in the big thread are individual requests about their payment prices.  They should have a place to get in touch, while other, general topics should stay on those.

@  

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
Revrat
  • Total Posts : 7
Re: Big announcement: #SONAR4 Life, #SONAR4Mac, #SONAR4You 2016/06/01 13:13:51 (permalink)
Andrew Rossa [Cakewalk]
Revrat

This is for people who upgraded last year and then renewed this year. So they are on the second cycle. I see you just upgraded for the first time earlier this year. 

ok. Leaves little incentive for me to pay additional money now that would in effect include what I already paid for 3 months ago. I don't see the reason for only including people on a second renew. Would I be seeing a discount at the end of my ownership next year?

einstein36
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 511
Re: Big announcement: #SONAR4 Life, #SONAR4Mac, #SONAR4You 2016/06/01 13:15:22 (permalink)
Andrew Rossa [Cakewalk]
einstein36

As Noel mentioned in his SOS interview, the code bases for different OSes is not an issue that should deter development. One of the big announcements here is our commitment to improving core features that have not been working as expected. We plan on tackling these issues this year. A Mac OS X version will not mean you should expect less Windows development. Have you seen what's coming for this year? :) 

That's good to hear......I know this means you guys are going to have to hire more programmers, etc. which in turns means spending more money, but I just don't want to see the pc version go the wayside:).....
I have been a user of Cakewalk's since version 2.0 DOS version....
man...that just shows my age LOL

Twitter: ImagineerR
Facebook: www.facebook.com/einstein36

Soundwise
Max Output Level: -62 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1419
Re: Big announcement: #SONAR4 Life, #SONAR4Mac, #SONAR4You 2016/06/01 13:24:35 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby joel77 2016/06/01 23:11:54
PilotGav
Soundwise

It was genius. They had generated enormous traffic, drawn a lot of attention from existing user base, put inactive users back on the list and many users have upgraded their subscription. All that was done with just 1 announcement about ... well another announcement. I'm pretty confident Cake can eventually beat any other company in the marketing department. Pure genius!

Anderton
We are all unique and have our own contributions to make to this planet.

SoundCloud
YouTube
BandLab
...wicked
Max Output Level: -1.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7360
Re: Big announcement: #SONAR4 Life, #SONAR4Mac, #SONAR4You 2016/06/01 13:25:35 (permalink)
I think this is all great. Enough folk have asked about a Mac version, Apple seems to be de-emphasizing Logic, and I've seen lots of Mac peeps (DP and Logic users) see SONAR and go "wow!" Good job.

The lifetime updates? People who are crying poverty are nuts. This investment pays for itself in 9 months. FOR THE REST OF THE PRODUCT LIFE. It's the best bargain I've ever seen.

And the upcoming features? Wow! We were JUST discussing ripple editing two weeks ago. Console 1 integration also came up in a thread just weeks ago. Quick swiping? I'm actually quite excited about this.

So to me this news is all great. I just hope the Mac version ramps up very quickly, I'm going overseas in a month and I'd love to work on tunes in SONAR on my MacBook Pro instead of Ableton.

===========
The Fog People
===========

Intel i7-4790 
16GB RAM
ASUS Z97 
Roland OctaCapture
Win10/64   

SONAR Platinum 64-bit    
billions VSTs, some of which work    
cncb
  • Total Posts : 6
Re: Big announcement: #SONAR4 Life, #SONAR4Mac, #SONAR4You 2016/06/01 13:26:24 (permalink)
colinjamieson
Is Cakewalk commitment to a minimum remaining lifespan of Sonar on Windows?

Good question.  I bought a "lifetime" license for Playon software, and after a few years they added some features and called it something else that you then had to buy again.  I am not saying that will happen here, but some lifespan commitment would be nice.
martinh
  • Total Posts : 25
Re: Big announcement: #SONAR4 Life, #SONAR4Mac, #SONAR4You 2016/06/01 13:26:54 (permalink)
Andrew Rossa [Cakewalk]
einstein36

I'll take your word for it Andrew.  My experience with other companies has been something of the opposite.   I moved to Cakewalk (version 4 I think) after Logic decided to drop the PC platform.  I also used MOTU hardware, and they were constantly boogering things up on the PC to  make the product more Mac-friendly.  
markoburrows
  • Total Posts : 26
Re: Big announcement: #SONAR4 Life, #SONAR4Mac, #SONAR4You 2016/06/01 13:27:56 (permalink)
Hi Guys,

Maybe its because I am British, but with all the "High Fivein'" and  stuff I have become sooooo confused in a very short time.

In the comments above this post you have quoted the upgrade price to the Lifetime offer for  a gentleman with existing software as $99. I purchased Platinum in March and was expecting to renew sometime around then and there used to be a renewal price on your shop page. Now that is gone and my option to take on the offer is to "upgrade" to software I have already? 

And the cost to do so is £174. That's two hundred and fifty dollars.

So if I want to take your offer up I need to expend $250

How does that compare with the $99 ?

Any chance you could put all of the cost options up so we can assess the value of your offer and how much the lifetime renewal actually is?

Many thanks

Marko
Entertaining the few since 1962
slartabartfast
Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5289
Re: Big announcement: #SONAR4 Life, #SONAR4Mac, #SONAR4You 2016/06/01 13:28:45 (permalink)
How does one determine that the version of Sonar Producer on his computer is the (with Lifetime Updates) version?
bluesplayer
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 78
Re: Big announcement: #SONAR4 Life, #SONAR4Mac, #SONAR4You 2016/06/01 13:30:54 (permalink)
SONAR4life?  (I just hope the SONAR4Mac cancer doesn't make it a short PC life)
Andrew Rossa
Re: Big announcement: #SONAR4 Life, #SONAR4Mac, #SONAR4You 2016/06/01 13:37:42 (permalink)
slartabartfast
How does one determine that the version of Sonar Producer on his computer is the (with Lifetime Updates) version?

You'll see an infinity symbol in the about screen. This is for the lifetime updates.
Anderton
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: Big announcement: #SONAR4 Life, #SONAR4Mac, #SONAR4You 2016/06/01 13:38:45 (permalink)
bnwitt
Problem with that is unless you just doubled your staff, you will be splitting man hours between the operating systems bug fixing and improving code/features so we PC users (many of us who have been with you since the 80s) are going to see less support. 

As has been pointed out previously, the code base for the two versions is virtually identical. Plug-in and interface handling is different and while those are not trivial issues, once they're done, then you're really left only with the code base.

Apple went to an Intel architecture many years ago. It's a different world compared to maintaining something for Windows 98 running on a Pentium and Mac System 9 running on a PPC processor.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
Andrew Rossa
Re: Big announcement: #SONAR4 Life, #SONAR4Mac, #SONAR4You 2016/06/01 13:40:29 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby markoburrows 2016/06/01 14:43:34
markoburrows
Hi Guys,

Maybe its because I am British, but with all the "High Fivein'" and  stuff I have become sooooo confused in a very short time.

In the comments above this post you have quoted the upgrade price to the Lifetime offer for  a gentleman with existing software as $99. I purchased Platinum in March and was expecting to renew sometime around then and there used to be a renewal price on your shop page. Now that is gone and my option to take on the offer is to "upgrade" to software I have already? 

And the cost to do so is £174. That's two hundred and fifty dollars.

So if I want to take your offer up I need to expend $250

How does that compare with the $99 ?

Any chance you could put all of the cost options up so we can assess the value of your offer and how much the lifetime renewal actually is?

Many thanks

Marko
Entertaining the few since 1962

The upgrade price from SONAR Platinum is $199. However if you renewed earlier this year (meaning this was technically the second time you purchased SONAR Platinum in the last 18 months), and paid say $99 during that promo, we are only charging you $99 (basically the difference). Since you didn't renew, you would just pay the full upgrade price. It's essentially the same price.
Anderton
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: Big announcement: #SONAR4 Life, #SONAR4Mac, #SONAR4You 2016/06/01 13:42:58 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby chilldanny 2016/06/01 14:28:24
icontakt
I'm sure these new features are exciting for many (and I'm very surprised, and very glad, to see Take management and comping enhancements being listed).

BUT........when will longstanding bugs in basic operations be fixed? The track folder open/close button has been broken since the introduction of X3, track/clip automation has some obvious bugs, etc. etc.

That's what the third announcement is all about. Cakewalk prioritized ripple editing, the audio engine, and comping/take management as the "big fixes" but that's the start of re-visiting and fixing elements of SONAR that need some love. The Feedback Portal, in conjunction with analytics and of course the forums, should help in terms of prioritizing fixes.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
Paul G
Max Output Level: -52 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2334
Re: Big announcement: #SONAR4 Life, #SONAR4Mac, #SONAR4You 2016/06/01 13:47:36 (permalink)
I'm not a Mac guy and likely will never be but I do have a question.  We all know that the pro audio 'Mac' crowd can be a little snooty.  With the new Sonar4Mac coming out, will we be seeing that 'look down their noses' at us poor PC users here in Cakeland?  I sure hope not.

Intel i7-4790K, Win7 Pro, 16GB Ram
1TB OS, 2TB Audio, 1TB Samples
Focusrite Scarlett 6i6
Cakewalk by Bandlab
Paul Robert Glaser
The Brothers Glaser
SoundClick
PilotGav
Re: Big announcement: #SONAR4 Life, #SONAR4Mac, #SONAR4You 2016/06/01 13:51:15 (permalink)
Soundwise
PilotGav
Soundwise

It was genius. They had generated enormous traffic, drawn a lot of attention from existing user base, put inactive users back on the list and many users have upgraded their subscription. All that was done with just 1 announcement about ... well another announcement. I'm pretty confident Cake can eventually beat any other company in the marketing department. Pure genius!

Geniuos would have been doing all that and then some, and not using one of the best marketing tools a company can use  up at the same time, which they could have done but didn't.

You don't waste a "Big Reveal" (and that's a marketing verb) the way they just did. They could have done the same or more using other tactics and still held that playing card. 
 I'm not ****ting on them lol. I'm just saying from a professional marketing standpoint they goofed.

Since this isn't a marketing forum I'll bow out of the thread now, but if you want to talk shop sometime I'd be happy to :-D

Photo_G
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 124
Re: Big announcement: #SONAR4 Life, #SONAR4Mac, #SONAR4You 2016/06/01 13:53:48 (permalink)
Andrew,

Noel had stated earlier that "There will be an option for X3 users to upgrade to Platinum and get onto the lifetime membership plan" here: 
http://forum.cakewalk.com/SONAR-201605-Update-now-available-m3423235-p3.aspx#3424527

Will this offer be different from the price to upgrade from 'any' Producer version for $199?   Also, can you tell me the correct SKU to purchase to get in on this please?

Thanks,
G

SONAR Platinum (FOREVER!), 64-bit Windows 8.1 Pro, AMD FX-8320 CPU, 32GB RAM, M-Audio USB interface, Yamaha KX8 keyboard
reactorstudios
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 171
Re: Big announcement: #SONAR4 Life, #SONAR4Mac, #SONAR4You 2016/06/01 13:54:45 (permalink)
There was something for everyone in the three facets of this announcement. Those of you in the 'meh' class might need meds.
Many thanks to the bakers for lots of hard work pushed through at a remarkably low cost.

reactor.
Sonar Platinum, Intel Core 2 Quad 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM, Windows 10

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 24
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1