Helpful ReplyLockedCakewalk Announcement

Page: << < ..3132333435.. > >> Showing page 31 of 59
Author
aghschwabe
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 37
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/11/29 07:52:07 (permalink)
If Cakewalk wanted to give a nice going away present, I'd really appreciate the adaptive limiter. I just love the way it sounds.
Nifty9993
  • Total Posts : 26
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/11/29 09:04:09 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Ademir 2017/11/29 12:08:01
I'll be sticking with SPLAT for years to come. Some of the best recordings in the history of man were made in studios probably using equipment made from army surplus gear and junk. Wasn't Sgt Pepper's recorded on a 4 track desk? OK that desk was in Abbey Road but you catch my drift :) A lot of people don't like the Beatles but you have to admit that was one hell of a piece of recording.

Do we all really need the very latest gizmo's and gadgets, vst's and patches?
My "studio" PC is not my internet browser PC and won't be updating windows again....and it works rock solid with SPLAT at the moment.

Although there is not an option in Windows 10 to stop it updating automatically there are some workarounds, one even from Microsoft I think (involving installing a group policy if it's Home edition) but there are easy instructions dotted around t'internet that don't involve a degree in computer sciences!

Hopefully in 25 years time I'll still be on SPLAT and might be a power user by then!
rejkmackan
  • Total Posts : 9
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/11/29 09:34:45 (permalink)
We need a way to install the software that we have purchased, even after the servers have been taken down. The computer currently running the software can need a reinstall anytime. Is Steam an option for that? Is it possible to transfer a license bought before to steam?
Nifty9993
  • Total Posts : 26
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/11/29 10:57:55 (permalink)
rejkmackan
We need a way to install the software that we have purchased, even after the servers have been taken down. The computer currently running the software can need a reinstall anytime. Is Steam an option for that? Is it possible to transfer a license bought before to steam?

I asked the same thing and was informed that Noel had updated his original post. So if the worst comes to the worst we will have an app of some sort to authorise the software we own offline.
Ademir
  • Total Posts : 33
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/11/29 12:29:19 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby jaxman12 2017/11/29 12:50:36
A lot of people are concerned about the possibility of a Windows update blocking Sonar.
Friends, in my Home Studio I still work with Windows 7 and the latest version of Sonar and everything works perfectly. You who work with win 10, will surely have Sonar for a long time. You do not need so much concern or change DAW for now.
For those who do not know how to turn off automatic update of win 10, follow this explanation:
Right-click the Start Menu - Click "Run" - Enter "Services.msc". In the list that appears, look for "Windows Update". Double click on it.
In the "startup" option choose "Disabled".
Ready! Your Windows will no longer update ...
hydemusic
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 51
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/11/29 15:19:03 (permalink)

If I were  Microsoft, I'd see if I could acquire SONAR Home Studio and make it the "Windows GarageBand."

That made the most I read about SONAR!  I wouldn't want to sonar platinum as a subscription.

Bob N
Sonar Platinum, 2016.09
Windows 10 64 bit, v1670
Intel DZ68DB, I7-2700k, 16gb 
Samsung 850 Pro 512GB SS
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 + 18i20 (2nd gen)
Cakewalk A800 Pro Keyboard Controler

karhide
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 457
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/11/29 15:39:44 (permalink)
hydemusic

If I were  Microsoft, I'd see if I could acquire SONAR Home Studio and make it the "Windows GarageBand."

That made the most I read about SONAR!  I wouldn't want to sonar platinum as a subscription.

If I was Microsoft I'd acquire Noel and build from scratch 

Studio: Sonar Platinum/Cakewalk by Bandlab Intel Core i7 32GB RAM Samsung Evo 1TB system drive Windows 10 64bit - RME FireFace UFX - Focusrite OctoPre MK II - Audient Mico

Mobile: Sonar Platinum/Cakewalk by Bandlab Intel Core i7 8GB RAM Samsung Evo 1TB system drive Windows 10 64bit - RME FireFace 400

Mobile2: Cakewalk by Bandlab Intel Core i7 8GB RAM 256 GB System Drive Windows 10 64 bit

http://www.karhide.co.uk/
https://karhide.bandcamp.com
jaxman12
  • Total Posts : 32
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/11/29 15:44:22 (permalink)
Ademir
A lot of people are concerned about the possibility of a Windows update blocking Sonar.
Friends, in my Home Studio I still work with Windows 7 and the latest version of Sonar and everything works perfectly. You who work with win 10, will surely have Sonar for a long time. You do not need so much concern or change DAW for now.
For those who do not know how to turn off automatic update of win 10, follow this explanation:
Right-click the Start Menu - Click "Run" - Enter "Services.msc". In the list that appears, look for "Windows Update". Double click on it.
In the "startup" option choose "Disabled".
Ready! Your Windows will no longer update ...

A lot of the scare concerning updates come from Mac users who have had nightmare issues with IOS updates.  I went to a seminar at Guitar Center some years back and the Apple users were warning others to NEVER, EVER update the IOS on a Mac that is running a DAW until others have given the "It's Okay" that are also Mac users.  They said that they did an IOS update and their DAW stopped working.  Some users were with studios that had sessions scheduled and their DAW didn't work.  
donwilliams
  • Total Posts : 8
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/11/29 15:44:55 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Karyn 2017/11/29 23:39:36
As the creator of Overture, I have been a software developer for over 30 years in the music software industry. Before Overture I wrote Master Tracks Pro and Encore. During this time I have seen several music software companies fold that I was associated with, Gibson being the culprit of two of them.
I am deeply saddened at Gibson's decision and feel bad for all of the loyal users fo so many years. If you know your Cakewalk history, Overture was published by Cakewalk in 1999-2000. I give you this background, so you'll understand this long post.

NOTE: For the record Sonar's staff view was not spun off into Overture as some have claimed on this forum. Overture was around long before Sonar and even Pro Audio 9.

To start, the people at Cakewalk, Alex, Keith, Noel, etc. worked very hard to make things work, but Gibson crippled their efforts and this is how I know first-hand.

A little over a year ago, Cakewalk approached me with the idea of putting better notation in Sonar. At that time, I told them my schedule was full for the next six months putting out fires from a newly released version of Overture 5. I had spent five years rewriting old code and due to the major rewrite, there were many issues to deal with.

Last spring two of us flew to Boston to meet with Cakewalk to worked out a deal to put very, very, good notation is Sonar and add some of my upcoming products in the Cakewalk store. The notation would contain 80% of what Overture can do and was to have full integration with Sonar. We agreed to terms, everybody walked away happy, and Cakewalk presented the deal to Gibson. After a month or so, Gibson turned it down, claiming they would have too much financial liability. After the disappointment, I met with a Cakewalk person at Summer NAMM and I agreed to worked out a new deal limiting Gibson's liability. Cakewalk liked the new deal and all of us were very excited, thinking Gibson will not turn down the new terms. To our shock Gibson said no. Cakewalk knew the importance of the deal to Sonar and was left feeling helpless. I felt bad for the guys at Cakewalk and on my own decided to help Cakewalk by offering to put a free light version in Sonar at no cost to Cakewalk or Gibson and we would sell an upgrade that provided full notation for a very small price. This was a no brainer, right. Guess what! Nothing ever happened, and I even have an alpha version working.

To move on, after reading your posts and I want to say that I understand your frustrations. I know that money is a huge concern for most musicians and having to switch to a new DAW is a very big decision. After talking to a long time Cakewalk person yesterday it was suggested that I write a post and make an offer that may help.

Right now, we are having an Epic sale through December 1st of Overture 5 for $75. This low price is in no way a reflection of problems here and Sonic Scores is not in financial trouble and I have always believed in affordable prices for good software. In fact, next year will be my best year in twenty-five years. If any of you Sonar users would like to purchase Overture 5, I will make an offer to you for $50. This is not a subscription price and is the full version.

If you have not looked at Overture 5, it is a DAW like/Notation hybrid. Within the next year we plan to add audio tracks. We release a new update everyone to three months and always include new features that were requested by the users. As for your Sonar files there is not much I can do until the audio tracks are implemented but you can export your scores as a MusicXML and import them into Overture if they contain MIDI tracks.

I apologize for the long-winded post but really wanted to you to know it hurts to see such a good company killed by gross mismanagement and that it is no way a reflection of Cakewalks’ personnel.

Overture 5 coupon code to reduce price to $50.

sonar50

Thanks for listening,
Don Williams
President,
Sonic Scores
post edited by donwilliams - 2017/11/29 20:50:13
chuckebaby
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13146
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/11/29 15:46:07 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby rspagnuolo 2017/11/30 21:34:01
vladasyn
Jarsve
Sylvan
Jarsve
401 signatures

https://www.ipetitions.co...ewalk-and-sonar-out-of

I want to sign this but can whoever made this re-write it to correct the grammar and spelling issues? I am not trying to be a punk here, but in order to be taken seriously we should put forth our best effort. I feel that if someone from Microsoft that has any kind of authority to actually do something about this reads this page with the poorly written English (grammar and spelling issues,) they will immediately get the impression that this is not very serious.

Please, let's do this right. Fix the poorly written English.

Thank you,
-Charles

Thanks, be free to write it. English is not my first language, so I appreciate if someone better write it.

Then why did you write it? 

Maybe because he is trying to help save the product.
and you ? As far as I can see nothing but complain.

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

bombshelboy
  • Total Posts : 4
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/11/29 16:31:53 (permalink)
You haven't figured out a solution for the mechanism, but what we're all worried about is that you'll suddenly not have jobs one morning when you go into work. IF you don't make the solution available, and soon, Gibson will **** us again. There is no doubt in my mind of this. Fix it before they cull you
SandlinJohn
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 188
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/11/29 16:58:43 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby FCCfirstclass 2017/11/30 23:53:51
donwilliams
As the creator of Overture, I have been a software developer for over 30 years in the music software industry. Before Overture I wrote Master Tracks Pro and Encore. During this time I have seen several music software companies fold that I was associated with, Gibson being the culprit of two of them.

<huge snip of important text, but that everyone has probably already read once already>

I apologize for the long-winded post but really wanted to you to know it hurts to see such a good company killed by gross mismanagement and that it is no way a reflection of Cakewalks’ personnel.

Thank you for adding your perspective, Don. This aligns with several stories others have relayed. Your offer looks interesting. You might get with a forum host to see if there is an appropriate place to put this, as there have been other offers presented.

ActionOxford
  • Total Posts : 4
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/11/29 17:13:35 (permalink)
donwilliams

Last spring two of us flew to Boston to meet with Cakewalk to worked out a deal to put very, very, good notation is Sonar and add some of my upcoming products in the Cakewalk store. The notation would contain 80% of what Overture can do and was to have full integration with Sonar. 
------------
Right now, we are having an Epic sale through December 1st of Overture 5 for $75. This low price is in no way a reflection of problems here and Sonic Scores is not in financial trouble and I have always believed in affordable prices for good software. In fact, next year will be my best year in twenty-five years. If any of you Sonar users would like to purchase Overture 5, I will make an offer to you for $50. This is not a subscription price and is the full version.

First, Gibson was dumb for passing on that deal. They must have known they were shutting down Cakewalk at that time. Getting Overture like notation in Sonar would have been awesome. 

Second, how do we take you up on the $50 offer? Overture is a great notation program well worth $50. Sorry, I got excited and skipped the bottom of your post. Put me in for the offer. Notation software, to me, always seems clunky, so I love the single-window interface. 

Regards, 

AO
seriousfun
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 641
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/11/29 17:41:04 (permalink)
Thanks.

Before SONAR (with a few stops in between) I used Master Tracks Pro, my first sequencer.

Your timeline and insider info puts some things into perspective.

I may take you up on the Overture offer.

donwilliams
As the creator of Overture, I have been a software developer for over 30 years in the music software industry. Before Overture I wrote Master Tracks Pro and Encore. ...

If I get a few requests after this post, I'll create a Sonar coupon code to get the price to $50.

If you all feel this is inappropriate feel free to have Cakewalk remove the post.

Thanks for listening,
Don Williams
President,
Sonic Scores

Doug Osborne
Anderton
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/11/29 17:41:14 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby joel77 2017/12/01 09:12:15
Don Williams is the real deal. I was involved with Don in trying to get notation into SONAR, and Don was more than reasonable at all stages of the effort. He really wanted to make it happen. So did I.

I would highly recommend that anyone who wants really good notation check into Overture 5. 

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
beltrom
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 306
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/11/29 17:57:56 (permalink)
donwilliams

If I get a few requests after this post, I'll create a Sonar coupon code to get the price to $50.

Thanks for your post, interesting.

Even though I already have a couple of programs that can handle notation and have Cubase on the way, I would certainly get Overture if offered for 50 bucks.
InstrEd
Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1276
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/11/29 17:59:38 (permalink)
I would take you up on the offer Don too !

Instred
Chicagoland, IL 

donwilliams
  • Total Posts : 8
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/11/29 18:15:53 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby FCCfirstclass 2017/12/01 00:22:39
I thank you all and yes it was Craig Anderton that worked very hard to make the deal work with Cakewalk and Gibson. I didn't want to mention his name because of the situation. Craig I thank you for your efforts.

Enter the following coupon code for the full version of Overture 5. This will reduce the sale price down to $50. I figure at this price it doesn't hurt to have another tool around. Our forum is very helpful with questions.

Here is a direct link if the forum will allow it: 

sonar50

Also, there is a hidden feature called user presets that you may want to use if you work with plugins. It is undocumented because it is still in development and will change a bit within the next month or two. If you search the forum you can learn how to use it. It basically let's you setup a track with all the parameters set including key switches and save it as a preset that can be loaded later. Because of this new feature that is coming we do not support as many sample libraries with sound maps as good as we should. The new feature will be much cooler.

Good luck and thank you for your posts.
post edited by donwilliams - 2017/11/29 20:33:47
TotteG
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/11/29 18:22:24 (permalink)
Thanks Don for that great offer, sign me up for that to! and thanks for sharing your story   
Ademir
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/11/29 19:11:42 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby chuckebaby 2017/11/29 22:02:53
Useful information for those who have not read:
http://www.cakewalk.com/S...ewalk-Announcement-FAQ
Ademir
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/11/29 19:14:18 (permalink)
Words from Willy Jones in another post:
"Additionally everyone that was on a monthly plan and has not yet reached 12 payments has been taken care of so that they can continue using SONAR."

Karyn
Ma-Ma
  • Total Posts : 9200
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/11/29 19:22:42 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby joel77 2017/12/01 09:16:11
The posts by Don Williams got zapped by Akismet....  I've restored them.

I'm also copying his main post over to the software forum for inclusion with the other generous 3rd party offers.
Please continue discussion in that thread so it doesn't get lost here.

Don,  please PM me that link so I can edit it into your post.

Mekashi Futo
Get 10% off all Waves plugins.
Current DAW.  i7-950, Gigabyte EX58-UD5, 12Gb RAM, 1Tb SSD, 2x2Tb HDD, nVidia GTX 260, Antec 1000W psu, Win7 64bit, Studio 192, Digimax FS, KRK RP8G2, Sonar Platinum

craigb
  • Total Posts : 41704
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/11/29 20:16:22 (permalink)
Definitely one outcome from this SNAFU is that it's far easier to tell the good guys from the bad! 

Time for all of you to head over to Beyond My DAW!
The Flaming Pike
  • Total Posts : 1
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/11/29 21:10:41 (permalink)
Hi there, regular Steam user here. I've learned of the news early on a few days ago but I finally had the time to read the comments here where the core Sonar users are. I wanted to comment.

I was lucky in a way since I was about to upgrade to the "real" Sonar, having bought Home Studio a year ago and finding its limitations. I was going to spend a lot of money on Cakewalk products.

I think enough people have been expressing their frustrations and I'd like to talk about something else: the future of Cakewalk and Sonar.

I'll be honest here, I don't think another enterprise would be interested in the Cakewalk/Sonar brand. The reason is that it has been going from one owner to another over the years and this low blow given by Gibson, whether you like it or not, diminishes the overall reliability of Cakewalk. To make it simple, all this made Cakewalk look weak. The Cakewalk name couldn't go on because the trauma left by Gibson's mismanagement is too important.

I highly doubt Microsoft would have interests in Cakewalk/Sonar. Expensive software that cost $200 and over will attract only a limited amount of people - people who are doing this as a living or as a very passionate hobby. MS wants to reach a broader audience. Their apps must be appealing to as much people as possible and they must be simple to use. Sonar is too advanced and complex for that. MS isn't the kind of enterprise that strikes me as innovative and daring either. I don't think they'd want to step in that relatively saturated market.

The future of software development lies in crowdfunding. I highly encourage the people at Cakewalk to regroup and come up with a new brand name and make a new yet similar software that they could put on crowdfunding websites such as Kickstarter. The loyalty of Cakewalk users would probably reflect on the crowdfunding effort and the team would have complete independence from big companies like Gibson.

In my opinion, it is not viable to give unlimited support for a software like Sonar. It's not a free-to-play MMORPG with DLC and microtransactions. A DAW is not addicting like a MMORPG either and less people will be interested in buying a software like Sonar. Continuous online support on any software that isn't a video game is a very risky thing to do, in my humble opinion. That lifetime pass was too good to be true and did not fit with reality. Not enough customers, not enough monthly revenue = not enough fuel. When Gibson saw that the fuel was starting to come less and less, they pulled the plug.

One option, however, would be to crowdfund your software on a yearly basis once it's been made so the updates can keep going. Wikipedia asks for money every year and they keep going. Patreon is a solid long-term crowdfunding platform once your software is made since it's all about continued support. For those who are unfamiliar with both websites: Kickstarter is a one-time thing to start of with a huge amount of money while Patreon uses a monthly donation dynamic.
jpetersen
Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1499
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/11/29 23:15:12 (permalink)
If Microsoft comes up with another "Creator's Update" that breaks Sonar, my installs are toast.
I now regret moving from Win7 to Win10.
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 729
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/11/29 23:18:17 (permalink)
Turn off updates

Intel i7 4790 @3.6Ghz - 32GB Ram - Windows 10 Pro 64bit - RME Fireface UFX+
Studio One 4 Professional, REAPER, CbB-(Couldnb't be Bothered)
More Plugs than Plumbers Warehouse.

Happy Studio One User Since August 2015

"It's the entertainment value, the comic relief . . . plus the Software and Deals Forum"

jpetersen
Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1499
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/11/29 23:24:29 (permalink)
You can't, unless you buy Win Pro (Enterprise). The upgrade and home versions have no switch.
The registry trick also only works until Windows starts nagging, saying Windows is unauthorized.

Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 729
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/11/29 23:32:49 (permalink)
Of course you can, I've been doing for ages on both Pro and Home versions

Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Services then scroll down to Windows Update and disable it.

Don't worry what anybody else says, it's permanent (unless you decide to change it) it works perfectly, all my PC's and Laptops (a mixture of Pro and Home) are all done like that, and they all remain on the same version and build number as when I done it ages ago. If at sometime you do want to update, you just enable it again.

Intel i7 4790 @3.6Ghz - 32GB Ram - Windows 10 Pro 64bit - RME Fireface UFX+
Studio One 4 Professional, REAPER, CbB-(Couldnb't be Bothered)
More Plugs than Plumbers Warehouse.

Happy Studio One User Since August 2015

"It's the entertainment value, the comic relief . . . plus the Software and Deals Forum"

CedricM
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 128
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/11/29 23:42:04 (permalink)
All the best to Cakewalk employees, may you find a great new job!
gcurrie
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 84
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/11/29 23:56:44 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby burgerproduction 2017/11/30 10:39:56
donwilliams

If you have not looked at Overture 5, it is a DAW like/Notation hybrid. Within the next year we plan to add audio tracks. We release a new update everyone to three months and always include new features that were requested by the users. As for your Sonar files there is not much I can do until the audio tracks are implemented but you can export your scores as a MusicXML and import them into Overture if they contain MIDI tracks.

Overture 5 coupon code to reduce price to $50.

sonar50

Thanks for listening,
Don Williams
President,
Sonic Scores

Craig Anderton reposted this to bring attention to it. I want to say that this is one incredible deal that anyone needing USABLE notation should consider. (I just placed my order) Don't let this slip away because you're busy!

-Gordon
Win 10 Pro x64, i5, 16 GB, RME FireFace UFX, Sonar Platinum 

'Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art.' - Leonardo da Vinci
Page: << < ..3132333435.. > >> Showing page 31 of 59
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1