Helpful ReplyLockedCakewalk Announcement

Page: << < ..3132333435.. > >> Showing page 33 of 59
Author
mdages
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 139
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/11/30 22:24:23 (permalink)
No rumors about acquisition of Cakewalk can have 2 reasons.
1. Gibson don't want to sell Cakewalk and all the related trademarks, they want to kill the brand.
2. There is no serious takeover bid by another company.

Imo this means Cakewalk and Sonar will end. Most users will now look for another software and this makes Cakewalk then less interesting for a buyer.

Personally, I think it's a pity, because Sonar has just become a very good DAW software in recent years and it is sad that such a development should now be pulped. Shame on Gibson.

Thanks to the Cakewalk team for all efforts to provide such great software.

regards
Markus

music is just a sequence of sounds...
Sonar Platinum -> R.I.P (Shame on Gibson)
Cubase Pro 9.5
Windows 10 x64 German
Core i7, 12GB RAM - 5 TB HDD/SSD
Focusrite Saffire Pro 24
Studiologic Acuna 88
VSL VE-Pro with windows slave computers
RTA
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/11/30 23:25:41 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby SuperG 2017/12/01 03:18:37
Firstly, I am sad for the Cakewalk Team that all their hard work over time is just being put down and that they will have to search for other, perhaps less fulfilling positions.
Secondly, a special thanks to Don Williams for his generous offer on Overture 5, which was already on a generous offer price. I decided to read this thread today and work my way from start to finish, otherwise I might have missed it. It has sweetened the bitter pill that the loss of Sonar is and has almost gifted something that gives a hint of what Sonar might have been if the management team at Gibson had any imagination beyond the balance sheet.
The rest has already been said by many people far more qualified than myself.
I notice that Marshall are now offering a limited edition refrigerator and can only assume that Gibson have leapt down the 'me too' marketing route and plan to offer a refrigerator themselves at some point as it is the only common sense reason for such a bizarre acquisition as Philips.

I do own Les Pauls. All are good, though a couple are great [one being a 2015 - Shoot me!]. The changes to fretboard woods are more connected with the CITES regulations for exporting anything containing Rosewood, but given the two common choices of Ebony [expensive] and baked maple/others [cheap], they chose the cheap option when other manufacturers have not. This is actually more telling of the current situation at Gibson than anything else to me.

I do own many other guitars as well and it is true that Gibson went through a serious quality control problem that I believe they were trying to turn around with the 2015 series but some of the fairly radical modifications upset many purists, so rather than increase sales they dropped. Such is life. Admittedly the G-Force autotuners are great when they are calibrated [very important] after every string change and work & not so great when they do not, but you can still tune manually, even with the G-Force unit fitted.
It remains to be seen if the scrapping of Sonar turns out to be a tax dodge to help Gibson out with their financial problems, if so it will be even more of a shame that a once proud marque has been reduced to this sort of behaviour to fend off the sword of Damocles.

The fact that there are now a bunch of competing DAW programs on different platforms would normally be a good thing, as under normal market competition the strongest will drag up the weakest and those that do not compete will fall by the wayside. This being the result of a takeover and selloff is seeing a primary driving force in the DAW market being retired and this will slow innovation in the other packages as they won't need to compete with anything Sonar might have delivered in the future. That can't be good for anybody.
There are far less DAWs out there than there are guitar brands, that's for sure, and like guitars some will do some things better than others. Sonar was brilliant at being able to supply MOST of what you could want in one package.
It wasn't perfect, nothing is, but its loss will be sadly missed.

Good luck to the ex-employees and all best wishes for a brighter future.
post edited by RTA - 2017/12/03 22:59:32
DavidLight
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/01 03:09:20 (permalink)
This is a shock to me!  Just saw it on YouTube.  I've been with Cakewalk since version 4.5.  My initial plan is to stay with it until it stops working.  Meanwhile I have many hundreds of projects I need to prepare for transfer to something else (hopefully will not be needed for a long time).

So instead of selling Gibson just pulls the plug?  Makes you wonder how long this has been known.

Anyway.  Best wishing to the cakewalk people.  I have talked with enough of you to feel like I know you, which makes this feel even worse.

Jwaterstreet
  • Total Posts : 8
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/01 03:21:20 (permalink)
I think all this talk about Cakewalk finding a new home is wasted energy.  I for one will continue to use Sonar as is for the foreseeable future, but am worried that I will need to reinstall at some point and won't be able to.  Gibson is saying the servers will stay up, and there is talk about an offline registration key that will be granted to up-to-date customers, but there is one problem with this scenario.  There is a good possibility that Gibson will fold up shop next year.  It is a failing company with no future prospects, and a huge debt payment due next year.  It could go bankrupt and liquidated, with names and patents sold off, and everything else shut down.  Lights out on everything.  If they don't provide the manual offline capability to us by then, it will never happen.

So I think all of your talk about petitions, lawsuits, and everything else should be redirected to ask Gibson to provide the offline registration capability now.  Before Gibson fails next year.
jaxman12
  • Total Posts : 32
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/01 04:32:59 (permalink)
gcurrie
donwilliams
Right now, we are having an Epic sale through December 1st of Overture 5 for $75. This low price is in no way a reflection of problems here and Sonic Scores is not in financial trouble and I have always believed in affordable prices for good software. In fact, next year will be my best year in twenty-five years. If any of you Sonar users would like to purchase Overture 5, I will make an offer to you for $50. This is not a subscription price and is the full version.

If you have not looked at Overture 5, it is a DAW like/Notation hybrid. Within the next year we plan to add audio tracks. We release a new update everyone to three months and always include new features that were requested by the users. As for your Sonar files there is not much I can do until the audio tracks are implemented but you can export your scores as a MusicXML and import them into Overture if they contain MIDI tracks.

I apologize for the long-winded post but really wanted to you to know it hurts to see such a good company killed by gross mismanagement and that it is no way a reflection of Cakewalks’ personnel.

Overture 5 coupon code to reduce price to $50.

sonar50

Thanks for listening,
Don Williams
President,
Sonic Scores

Craig Anderton reposted this to bring attention to it. I want to say that this is one incredible deal that anyone needing USABLE notation should consider. (I just placed my order) Don't let this slip away because you're busy!

I just purchased this! It is amazing and just what I was looking for. Couldn't afford $600.00 for Sibelius or the $479.00 for Finale.  Looked at the instructional videos.  A no-brainer to buy it.  Got it for the $50.00 special for Sonar users.  Thanks for the deal!
exitthelemming
  • Total Posts : 29
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/01 10:50:46 (permalink)
jvlm57
A class action lawsuit IS a possibility. 

Winning a class action lawsuit would merely increase Gibson's already insurmountable debts. As unsecured creditors you would get squat.
nonametoday
  • Total Posts : 15
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/01 11:19:07 (permalink)
mudgel
nonametoday
facelessproduction
Your early and fast adoption of 64bit technology on the market had my first attention and interest of the products Cakewalk made over 10 years back. It were Cakewalk that had the lead roll of 64bit technology, 64bit DAW and 64bit audio-engine that made eventually others, software manufactures follow in same direction and adapting to 64bit technology too example Steinberg, Studio One, Logic Pro, Reaper, AVID Pro Tools, Waves, Native Instruments etc.

When did Cakewalk start with a 64bit audio engine ?

Reaper has had a 64bit audio engine since it started, back in 2005.

Sonar 5 came out about 2005 with the first 64 bit DAW.
Reapers wasn’t available as 64 bit until about 2009 according to Wikipedia

The only reference from wikipedia about 64bit is about osx and windows 64 bit os being supported.

A post from a thread from gearslutz in 2007 which is an interview with Justin Frankel refers to the audio engine.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/1221556-post2.html

karhide
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 457
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/01 11:27:38 (permalink)
Old Sound on Sound review of version Sonar 5 that mentions 64 bit.

https://www.soundonsound....views/cakewalk-sonar-5

Studio: Sonar Platinum/Cakewalk by Bandlab Intel Core i7 32GB RAM Samsung Evo 1TB system drive Windows 10 64bit - RME FireFace UFX - Focusrite OctoPre MK II - Audient Mico

Mobile: Sonar Platinum/Cakewalk by Bandlab Intel Core i7 8GB RAM Samsung Evo 1TB system drive Windows 10 64bit - RME FireFace 400

Mobile2: Cakewalk by Bandlab Intel Core i7 8GB RAM 256 GB System Drive Windows 10 64 bit

http://www.karhide.co.uk/
https://karhide.bandcamp.com
StephanKim
  • Total Posts : 38
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/01 11:35:48 (permalink)
Gibson = Swamp of death
Andreas Franke
  • Total Posts : 1
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/01 12:44:04 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby rspagnuolo 2017/12/02 18:20:42
Presonus has a special crossgrade offer for Gibson victims:
http://blog.presonus.com/index.php/presonus-cakewalk-crossgrade-offer/

Marc2109
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 75
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/01 13:39:36 (permalink)
Very sad indeed, I've been with Cakewalk since it was a DOS Midi program.  I decided to plunge into Studio One, while they have that cross grade offer for $149, However I am 6 months into my Sonar Professional Subscription, and am wondering if that will continue to be charged for the remainder, or if payment stops now. If I would cancel the subscription, would I get to keep the Professional version up to this point? I don't relish the idea of paying another $120 dollars with no further updates.
Does anyone know for sure?

Sonar Professinal, Win 10 64x, HP Pavillion P-7 1240 with 10 GB Ram, Presonus AudioBox itwo  Equator D5 Monitors
SandlinJohn
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 188
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/01 17:02:36 (permalink)
Marc2109
Very sad indeed, I've been with Cakewalk since it was a DOS Midi program. I decided to plunge into Studio One, while they have that cross grade offer for $149, However I am 6 months into my Sonar Professional Subscription, and am wondering if that will continue to be charged for the remainder, or if payment stops now. If I would cancel the subscription, would I get to keep the Professional version up to this point? I don't relish the idea of paying another $120 dollars with no further updates.
Does anyone know for sure?

The FAQ states that Cakewalk is working with Digital River and Cleverbridge to turn off those payments. If you see a payment has been made since the announcement (I'm assuming that would be 2017-11-17) to contact support.

http://www.cakewalk.com/S...ewalk-Announcement-FAQ

They are preparing or are prepared to provide a way to activate your existing license offline. You will be locked to what ever the latest version of Cakewalk you paid for is. In your case that sounds like the final release of Sonar Pro.
I should add a tag line to my signature with my audio workstation setup.... but at this point...

Sonar Platinum, Windows 7 Pro 64 bit, Intel NUC micro-workstation with 5th Gen Intel i5-5250U, 16 GB RAM and 1.25 TB Storage, Yamaha MG10XU Mixer USB Interface, Yamaha HPH-MT8 Monitor Headphones, Yamaha MX-49 controller synth
Studioguy1
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 244
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/01 17:04:31 (permalink)
I am absolutely livid about subscribing to lifetime updates for a lousy 3 or 4 months.  These guys should not be allowed to get away with this bull-crap.  I certainly would jump into any class action suit in a heartbeat.  I do not like to be taken advantage of in this way in any business.  Gibson has lost all credibility with me.  I will henceforth advise my students and anyone else to shop elsewhere.  I'm sorry people, but we didn't even get a civil apology for screwing us over.  Anyone can tell you that I supported this company and steered many a user in the direction of both Cakewalk and Gibson over the years.  Shame on you and the way you handled this. 

Current happy user of Cakewalk by BandLab;
Former Sonar Platinum lifetime plan;
Okie Duke, The Duke Of The Lehigh Valley
Sound Syndicate Studios-Recording and Production
HP Pavilion dv7 Notebook PC 8 Gb ram
Windows 7 Premium (x64) Service Pack 1
 2.20 gigahertz Intel Core i7-2670QM
Hitachi [Hard drive] (750.16 GB)
- 2 Tb external Drive - U-Phoria UMC204HD usb - Triton Keyboard - and much more.
Blue Clown Records Ltd
Blue Clown Publishing BMI
Okie Duke Promotions Ltd
the_user_formally_known_as_glennbo
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 317
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/01 18:09:36 (permalink)
nonametoday
mudgel
nonametoday
facelessproduction
Your early and fast adoption of 64bit technology on the market had my first attention and interest of the products Cakewalk made over 10 years back. It were Cakewalk that had the lead roll of 64bit technology, 64bit DAW and 64bit audio-engine that made eventually others, software manufactures follow in same direction and adapting to 64bit technology too example Steinberg, Studio One, Logic Pro, Reaper, AVID Pro Tools, Waves, Native Instruments etc.

The only reference from wikipedia about 64bit is about osx and windows 64 bit os being supported.
A post from a thread from gearslutz in 2007 which is an interview with Justin Frankel refers to the audio engine.

In that interview Justin says this about REAPER:

"We chose at the start to use 64 bit throughout, planning on newer faster machines with more memory and memory bandwidth, and so that we wouldn't have to deal with upgrading everything if it became important later."

And at the bottom of this page of older REAPER installers, the first version is "REAPER v0.41 - December 26 2005".

https://www.reaper.fm/download-old.php?ver=0x

Funny side note: I once installed EVERY VERSION of REAPER, starting with that oldest one, just to see what would happen. To my surprise, every one of them worked with no issues, other than warning me when my projects used functionality that was not yet implemented. The projects would load and play, but might be missing plugins that didn't exist yet, or folder hierarchy that wasn't yet implemented, but they still played, and not once did anything fail due to different pieces of the program being scattered all over my hard drive. When I finally installed the last current version, it was like I had never spent the entire day trying all the old versions and everything worked exactly the way it did before.  :-)

Glennbo
---------------------------------------------------------
http://soundclick.com/glennbo

Ruben
  • Total Posts : 472
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/01 18:30:45 (permalink)

"We chose at the start to use 64 bit throughout, planning on newer faster machines with more memory and memory bandwidth, and so that we wouldn't have to deal with upgrading everything if it became important later."

And at the bottom of this page of older REAPER installers, the first version is "REAPER v0.41 - December 26 2005".

That first public release of Reaper (v0.40) is 32-bit. According to the Reaper download pages, the first beta version of Reaper in 64-bit was v2.43 on July 30, 2008. The previous version, v2.42, is 32-bit. 

Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/01 19:04:35 (permalink)
Ruben

That first public release of Reaper (v0.40) is 32-bit. According to the Reaper download pages, the first beta version of Reaper in 64-bit was v2.43 on July 30, 2008. The previous version, v2.42, is 32-bit. 

There is a difference between 64-bit audio engine and 64-bit executable code. The Cakewalk Sonar 5 disk dated 09/26/2005 offers no 64 bit install, and I have it installed on my same machine as REAPER. Believe me when I say that I *would* have installed the 64 bit version of Sonar 5 onto my Windows 7 64-bit machine, if there had been a 64-bit version of Sonar 5 on my disk, but I even just double checked it, and there isn't.

Edit: after letting the installer go further, there is a choice to install 64-bit.

post edited by the_user_formally_known_as_glennbo - 2017/12/01 20:41:21

Glennbo

Ruben
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/01 19:40:02 (permalink)
dupilcate

post edited by Ruben - 2017/12/04 16:27:33

Ruben
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/01 20:11:36 (permalink)
Ruben

There is a difference between 64-bit audio engine and 64-bit executable code.

Yes I know but in the interview quoted above Reaper's author states that "We chose at the start to use 64 bit throughout...". But Reaper wasn't 64-bit throughout until v2.43 on July 30, 2008.

Ruben
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/01 20:13:39 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Jarsve 2017/12/01 23:54:57
The Cakewalk Sonar 5 disk dated 09/26/2005 offers no 64 bit install, and I have it installed on my same machine as REAPER.

The disc of Sonar 5 that I have, released Oct 7, 2005, includes a 64-bit version.

Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/01 20:31:04 (permalink)
Ruben
The Cakewalk Sonar 5 disk dated 09/26/2005 offers no 64 bit install, and I have it installed on my same machine as REAPER.

The disc of Sonar 5 that I have, released Oct 7, 2005, includes a 64-bit version.

I tried running mine farther down the install and it does also offer 64 bit, which I must have installed, because I rebuilt my DAW machine from scratch and went 64-bit at the first of the year.  So Cake wins the who's first at 64-bit round, but loses at the who's DAW can you still buy today.

Not that either really matters at this point. Cake was a leader when the folks running it were more like the folks running Cockos, and less like giant corporations like Tascam/Roland/Gibson.

Glennbo

Ruben
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/01 21:09:18 (permalink)
Yeah, the real turn downhill started when Greg Hendershott sold the company. And it only took the big businesses of Tascam, Roland and Gibson 5 years to kill off a successful company.

So... long time no chat, G-Bo. How's life? Is OK still ok? You still playing IT superhero?    

Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/01 21:29:36 (permalink)
Ruben
Yeah, the real turn downhill started when Greg Hendershott sold the company. And it only took the big businesses of Tascam, Roland and Gibson 5 years to kill off a successful company.

Those BIG "corpse" also ran me off as one of the annual $179 upgrade income streams.

So... long time no chat, G-Bo. How's life? Is OK still ok? You still playing IT superhero?   

I'm doing great! Hope you are well too.  I took the advice of guys like Dave Ramsey and even more so, Mr. Money Mustache and paid off my house, my cars, my credit cards, built up savings and then retired at 59 years old.

I only fix computer/software problems now when I really want to fix computer/software problems!   My ex-boss is 75, still has to work, and owes at least ten more years on his house!  That's what he gets for living beyond his means.   :-)

Glennbo

KIKO CUETO
  • Total Posts : 24
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/01 21:37:47 (permalink)
Madre mia, desde España, acabo de enterarme, esto es una putada en toda regla, llevo con sonar mas de 25 años, me suscribo de por vida, y todo este montaje lo quieren quemar, no puede ser hay tanto esfuerzo que me resulta increible todo esto.
Confio que un angel tome las riendas de este corcel tan lleno de vida y sueños.
No se si lo tomara microsoft rezo para que encuentren una solucion a todo.......

[<font][<font] W101 RO i7-4930K 32,0 GB (RAM) SONAR PLATINUM SONAR X3 PRO SONAR 4 PRO [<font][<font]       EAST WEST PRO
[<font][<font]-FOCUSRITE Saffire Pro 24
[<font][<font] TECLADO YAMAHA
kjboies
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/01 22:03:49 (permalink)
What happen if my computer crashes, since I relied on "My Product" to store and keep my registration codes, and I don't have these codes, because my computer did crash and I did not store my registration codes anywhere else; I've checked...?
Brandon Ryan [Roland]
Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3458
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/02 01:21:45 (permalink)
Wonderful to see you! Wish it was for better reasons. This is truly one of the best and most active communities of music production enthusiasts anywhere. A huge asset for any company.

"The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel." WG

SONAR Platinum | VS-700 | A-800 PRO | PCAL i7 with SSD running Windows 8 x64 | Samsung 27" LCD @ 1920x1080 | Blue Sky monitors with BMC | All kinds of other stuff
StepD
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 594
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/02 03:50:09 (permalink)
The Brandon and Seth Show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VH9W1MD80kk

Core2 6600 2.40 GHz, ASUS P5B Deluxe, 8GB RAM, GeForce GT 630 2GB, 3 Seagate Sata, Echo AudioFire 4 asio, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab
igiwigi
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 437
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/02 10:45:06 (permalink)
why is everyone sad for Sonar
They just cut your hard earnt cash out and will probably go into liquidation and start a new company up somewhere else and take your money all over again. That is what businesses do .
There is no customer loyalty in this world anymore.
At least they should pay the lifetime updaters their money back as one year is a very short life !!
Life's a bi tch ain't It!!
mudgel
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 12010
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/02 14:19:06 (permalink)
nonametoday
mudgel
nonametoday
facelessproduction

You claim was about Reaper. Look up Reaper then go to the Wikipedia entry that’s where I got the info.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
ivanh3
  • Total Posts : 33
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/02 15:07:14 (permalink)
This is very sad. Been with Cakewalk since it was just a DOS sequencer and no audio. We would sync it up with ADATs and trigger our drum/synth sounds with it. Always sucks when good products go to the wayside. Seems like someone would pick it up. Maybe the employees? Open sourcing it should also be a consideration, but I suspect that won't happen. 

Having said that, due to other projects I have also maintained a Pro Tools subscription, and I also keep Reaper on my machine. I can honestly do just about anything I need (YMMV) with Reaper, but PT is more ubiquitous and easier to collaborate online. I also prefer the signal routing on PT even more so than Sonar and Reaper. In any case, I wish everyone luck in finding a new DAW. There are good ones out there.

Sonar Platinum, Pro Tools, Reaper
Behringer X32 
Windows 10, I7-3770k, 32 GB ram

"You can't fight in here...This is the war room!"
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2017/12/02 15:20:38 (permalink)
ivanh3Having said that, due to other projects I have also maintained a Pro Tools subscription, and I also keep Reaper on my machine. I can honestly do just about anything I need (YMMV) with Reaper, but PT is more ubiquitous and easier to collaborate online. I also prefer the signal routing on PT even more so than Sonar and Reaper. In any case, I wish everyone luck in finding a new DAW. There are good ones out there.

Could you give an example of what kind of routing you can do in PT that you can't do in REAPER, or is it just easier to get there in PT?  I have both Sonar and REAPER and am just curious.

Glennbo

Page: << < ..3132333435.. > >> Showing page 33 of 59
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1