Helpful ReplyLockedCakewalk Announcement

Page: << < ..5152535455.. > >> Showing page 51 of 59
Author
sharke
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13933
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/05 20:29:20 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby CakeAlexSHere 2018/01/05 20:33:01
marled
I think there are 3 camps, the third one are those who irrationally trash Sonar, instead of liking to use it as long as possible or go forward to another DAW.

Please explain how discussing very real problems with a program is "irrational." To me, ignoring them is far less rational. 

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
CakeAlexSHere
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 577
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/05 20:30:07 (permalink)
chuckebaby
I believe any DAW will show the same results.
Do that same search only put Reaper, Studio one or Cubase.
I just did and guess what ?

Cubase
Reaper
Studio one

What you are showing us is not the same search, my search excluded cakewalk.com as I wanted to show what the outside world were talking about, not what Cakewalk forums people were talking about.

My search parameters were (observe the minus sign):
sonar buggy bugs cakewalk -site:cakewalk.com

Your "comparable" searches are:
cubase buggy
reaper daw buggy
studio one buggy

So this is not a like for like comparison.
If you need to prove a point please provide similar links to mine.
chuckebaby
  • Total Posts : 13146
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/05 20:45:16 (permalink)
CakeAlexSHere
chuckebaby
I believe any DAW will show the same results.
Do that same search only put Reaper, Studio one or Cubase.
I just did and guess what ?

Cubase
Reaper
Studio one

What you are showing us is not the same search, my search excluded cakewalk.com as I wanted to show what the outside world were talking about, not what Cakewalk forums people were talking about.

My search parameters were (observe the minus sign):
sonar buggy bugs cakewalk -site:cakewalk.com

Your "comparable" searches are:
cubase buggy
reaper daw buggy
studio one buggy

So this is not a like for like comparison.
If you need to prove a point please provide similar links to mine.

This better ? Look at all of them. There are pages and pages of them.
Especially Studio one on Gearslutz

Cubase
Studio one
Reaper

Trying to understand your point really. you post a link for all the bugs in sonar in other forums yet im seeing the exact same thing for any other DAW out there.

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

CakeAlexSHere
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/05 20:45:36 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby marled 2018/01/05 21:06:13
sharke

Please explain how discussing very real problems with a program is "irrational." To me, ignoring them is far less rational. 

Years and years ago I was saying exactly the same thing, being shouted down everywhere, at that time Cakewalk so still going. It was NOT fun.

Now they will never be fixed . So I guess even thinking about bugs in this product is irrational now, and we need to move on. Such a pity... :(

OK I've grieved.. It's Friday, I'll get out Ableton and I'll feel a lot happier...
chuckebaby
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/05 20:48:48 (permalink)
To be honest, never mind.  I forgot why I care.
It doesn't matter.

Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB

dubdisciple
Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5849
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/05 20:50:13 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby marled 2018/01/05 21:07:58
Demonstrating that disgruntled ex users will sometimes post on forums complaining tells me nothing but the obvious. People who abandon a product tend to have the bizarre need to trash it afterwards. What this tells me more than anything is that give any product decades of existence in internet age and do a google search for negatives and you will get massive hits. What this doesn't tell me is whether cakewalk had a reputation for bugs so widespread and commonly known that it was an every day conversation. A search of reviews certainly does not support that claim. Most reviews of sonar don't mention bugs. Negatives are mentioned but buggy does not seem to be the consensus .
dubdisciple
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/05 20:51:00 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby CakeAlexSHere 2018/01/05 20:57:42
Wtf am i doing? I know better to engage alex. Lol
CakeAlexSHere
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/05 20:56:52 (permalink)
chuckebaby
This better ? Look at all of them. There are pages and pages of them.
Especially Studio one on Gearslutz

Cubase
Studio one
Reaper

Trying to understand your point really. you post a link for all the bugs in sonar in other forums yet im seeing the exact same thing for any other DAW out there.

It's still not the same search. I was very clear on the search terms. You needed to put the word bug (you only put buggy) in the search term. In other search terms you put in the word DAW. It may seem trivial but it narrows down the search scope by thousands, you are coming up with a lot of false positives because you are effectively using OR not AND.

Once you corrected this I suggest you observe the sort of discussions going around (like I already have) in the first page of results. In the case of Sonar you will see LOTS of arguments about it being horrible and buggy. To a lesser so you will see similar arguments in Cubase (a lot smaller though). With the rest of the DAWs they are mainly troubleshooting stuff like plugins etc. It's not something you are going to research in five minutes.

Anyway there you go.
sharke
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/05 21:19:48 (permalink)
dubdisciple
Demonstrating that disgruntled ex users will sometimes post on forums complaining tells me nothing but the obvious. People who abandon a product tend to have the bizarre need to trash it afterwards. What this tells me more than anything is that give any product decades of existence in internet age and do a google search for negatives and you will get massive hits. What this doesn't tell me is whether cakewalk had a reputation for bugs so widespread and commonly known that it was an every day conversation. A search of reviews certainly does not support that claim. Most reviews of sonar don't mention bugs. Negatives are mentioned but buggy does not seem to be the consensus .

I don't think anyone's claiming that the sole reason Cakewalk died was because of Sonar's reputation for being buggy. But, it didn't exactly help matters. Nor is anyone claiming that Sonar's bugginess was "everyday conversation." Of course it wasn't. Why would it be? Also, I find this tendency to dismiss people as "disgruntled ex users" to be a little problematic. It insinuates that people's negative experiences with Sonar can or should be dismissed as irrelevant, perhaps that they're too bitter and twisted to offer an objective opinion. Let's imagine you've invested thousands in Sonar over the years, and the program becomes problematic for you. Bugs, crashes, weirdness, you name it. The problems persist with no fix forthcoming. Even really stupid bugs that should have been prioritized years ago. Your music sessions are frustrating, you're even losing work. Your experience on the Cakewalk forums is that people dismiss your problems as user error, or hardware related, and people question why you feel the need to "trash talk" Sonar. But regardless, your problems with Sonar persist. So in the end you switch DAW's and you're happy. Every now and then someone on another forum asks if anyone knows anything about Sonar. What are you going to do? Keep quiet? Offer no opinion at all? Of course not - you see someone about to drop $100's on a program that you know contains some very serious flaws, and you relate your experience. I don't see why doing so should be dismissed as the rant of a disgruntled ex-user. It's not as if they initiated a thread entitled "Sonar is Crap." Someone asked a question and they responded. If they "felt the need" to do something, it was to give advice to a person who was in the market for a DAW, not just to trash something for the sake of it. 

Also, very few DAW reviews go into detail about bugs. That's because many bugs don't reveal themselves until you've been using the program in depth for a while. For instance, I don't really see half of the problems I see with Sonar until I have a really big, mature project with a lot of data flying around. I might not get to that stage during the course of writing a DAW review. It's like Amazon reviews - I always look for the ones which have updates. Because most of the reviews on there are based upon the customer's initial feelings about a product. A few months down the line, you might well have a different opinion about a product, but not everybody goes back to change their review. As an example of this, I once bought an air humidifier based upon the reviews it got on Amazon. It was very highly rated. Three months down the line, my humidifier developed a leak which meant it would empty the entire reservoir on the floor. Going back to the reviews and reading them in more depth, I found a few updated ones which described exactly the same problem happening to people after a similar spell of time. So as helpful as reviews are, they're very rarely the full story. 

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
rscain
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 784
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/05 21:37:28 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby CakeAlexSHere 2018/01/05 21:44:52
CakeAlexSHere
rscain
Wow, you guys spending all this time arguing over a dead program?

Discussions/debates/the search for "truth" or differing views does not have to be boxed up and categorized as "arguments".

Anyway I think it's part of the mourning process. It will pass and I am past it.
I have nothing to publicize, peddle or sell (nor have I ever) so I'm done.

Fair enough and of course, you're correct. I suppose posting a pretty snarky comment is part of my mourning process, and I apologize if I was out of line.

My Tunes On SoundClick  

AMD FX9350 @4 gHz, 16 gb ram, 240 gb SSD, 2 1Tb SS/Hybrid HDs, 1 Tb Fantom External HD, Windows 10 64 bit, Sonar Platinum 64 bit, Studio One 4 Pro, Harrison Mixbus, Izotope Neutron 2 Advanced and Ozone 8 Advanced, ARC 2, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate, TC-Helicon VoiceLive 3, Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 DSP, Focusrite Octopre MkII, KRK Rokit 8 monitors, Sennheiser HD 280 pro headphones, MidiMan Oxygen 8, Behringer X-Touch, guitars and stuff 
dubdisciple
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/05 21:55:33 (permalink)
Sharke, my comments were addressed at the examples alex posted. I was not disnissing every complaint about sonar bugs, but specifically the ones posted because every sample i clicked in was literally that.
CakeAlexSHere
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/05 21:56:45 (permalink)
I think a lot of what we are seeing and have seen in these forums are facts last and populism first, this is now an international problem in my view. Heck a President was elected on it, a country voted to leave the EU on it as well.

Sonar here is treated more like a person by many here, so much so if somebody states flaws in it... or gives it bad press... some people rush to defend it, EVEN when nobody is developing it any more. It's unusual for some here to say... "you know what, we did something wrong, how can we do it right next time?" or "how do we improve this?". Didn't really see that attitude much with the Bakers, it happened occasionally like all things. Also there is a lot of mimicry as is human nature, when you look at "me too" posts it's plain to see. Everybody wants to belong to a group, those that don't really belong to any group are outcasts (a bit like me).

In summary I believe the downfall was:
1) Just not looking at the big wide world market and what is going on.
2) Almost non existent marketing.
3) Sticking with the old user base rather than attempting to broaden horizons elsewhere and get new customers.
4) Inability to treat and log bugs, and provide appropriate feedback to customers.
5) Inability to have frank discussions in these very forums without a witch hunt, which was often calculated thing in my viewpoint. Self promoters and a lot of actual fictional propaganda took place in order to distract away from topics deemed dodgy. Mainly you're either with us or against us arguments would do the trick, or just plain simple finger pointing, or just labeling people.
6) These forums developing a reputation as being difficult outside here and within the DAW world. Phrases like "You've been cakewalked", "sonared" or "Andertoned" were not on common outside of here in my experience. There is a lot of "me too". It was almost the case you could say that the world is round, and if one "respected" person stated it was flat, you would get ten posters stating they agree with him - without a second thought. Some people even have their names in the Urban dictionary for these very reasons. Many people who have been here for ages simply have no idea they have not ventured outside of these forums much.
7) Did not collect enough revenue, further income streams could have been generated (as discussed on that Reddit thread by Craig), like selling plugins that were given away for free. I encourage everybody to have a read it really is enlightening.

The big success here was that these forums built up a certain fan base that was solid within it's walls. Unfortunately that was also part of it's downfall, it became a bit of a niche and you needed to be "accepted" by the fanbase to get along.

Anyway some people will find these comments too much to bare and will probably start throwing stuff at me just for saying all this, or start analyzing this in minute detail by cherry picking quotes perhaps adding their own observations (as though I am actually saying it when I am not), but I hope others can see I'm just being honest and in a little mourning myself, so now is the time to leave.. for now at least.

Anyway the Reddit thread is a great read, I only discovered it in the last few weeks and I noticed it's already been quoted here (I think).
stratman70
Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3044
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/05 22:11:11 (permalink)
sharke
stratman70
Well, I do not understand why the people that are trashing Sonar are here at all? Is it to convince folks like me and many others that we should MOVE away from Sonar. We shouldn't care about the DAW we like and use everyday because YOU have issues?  Why should that matter to me?
It doesn't because I DO NOT HAVE ISSUES WITH SONAR. 

There are so many here ( the majority by far) bummed that Sonar will no longer be developed and more importantly will they really have a way to reinstall the programs THEY WANT TO USE. See the key is they (being me and many others) want to use. 

If I had all the issues with Sonar that some keep on harping about and had already moved on to another daw I would NOT be here posting. 
Whats your point? Is it to tell us we are stupid or amateurs because we use this program but do not find it unbearable and cumbersome? 
We are idiots for not moving on to a new daw now or even before?
I see NO other reason for you folks to be here in this conversation. Oh wait, you spent $$$ and time on Sonar. Your entitled. Entitled to What?  To what? Most of us are worried about what is happening. You are just here to trash it. So?

You really need to stop taking things so personally and stop perceiving criticism of Sonar as criticism against those who use it. This kind of thing has always been a problem on the forum. Anyone who had serious issues with the program had to face a constant barrage of "it's your fault, not Sonar's," or "you seem to be here just to bash it." Interpreting criticism of Sonar as a personal attack against those who use it is, I'll admit, a new level of irrational. 

I don't know why you seem to feel that criticism of Sonar doesn't belong here. This is a free flowing discussion about the program and its future - there are going to be those who plan to use Sonar to the death, and those who feel like they should invest in another DAW. Both camps are free to give their reasons why. You're not going to see a discussion like this without the pros and cons of Sonar appearing as a side topic. Regardless of what you experience with your Sonar workflow, the program has some very real, tangible problems which are serious enough to cause loss of work, and anyone considering whether or not to use a completely unsupported DAW with no forthcoming bug fixes should take them into consideration. Regardless of whether or not you think talking about them is "trashing" the program. 

I don't take it personally. I was guessing at why you and others feel the need to come here and keep telling us how many bugs Sonar has? 
Do you think you or anyone else is telling us something we have not heard before on this forum?
Jeeezzz. I just do not get it............Sorry, I just don't.

CakeAlexSHere
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/05 22:44:59 (permalink)
stratman70
I don't take it personally. I was guessing at why you and others feel the need to come here and keep telling us how many bugs Sonar has? 
Do you think you or anyone else is telling us something we have not heard before on this forum?

I could not resist commenting on this though.
This is exactly what I mean.
Observe use of the words "You" "Others" and "Us".
Explains these forums pretty well and is not uncommon usage, no wonder newbies and the younger generation were put off.
sharke
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/05 22:53:51 (permalink)
stratman70
sharke
stratman70
Well, I do not understand why the people that are trashing Sonar are here at all? Is it to convince folks like me and many others that we should MOVE away from Sonar. We shouldn't care about the DAW we like and use everyday because YOU have issues?  Why should that matter to me?
It doesn't because I DO NOT HAVE ISSUES WITH SONAR. 

There are so many here ( the majority by far) bummed that Sonar will no longer be developed and more importantly will they really have a way to reinstall the programs THEY WANT TO USE. See the key is they (being me and many others) want to use. 

If I had all the issues with Sonar that some keep on harping about and had already moved on to another daw I would NOT be here posting. 
Whats your point? Is it to tell us we are stupid or amateurs because we use this program but do not find it unbearable and cumbersome? 
We are idiots for not moving on to a new daw now or even before?
I see NO other reason for you folks to be here in this conversation. Oh wait, you spent $$$ and time on Sonar. Your entitled. Entitled to What?  To what? Most of us are worried about what is happening. You are just here to trash it. So?

You really need to stop taking things so personally and stop perceiving criticism of Sonar as criticism against those who use it. This kind of thing has always been a problem on the forum. Anyone who had serious issues with the program had to face a constant barrage of "it's your fault, not Sonar's," or "you seem to be here just to bash it." Interpreting criticism of Sonar as a personal attack against those who use it is, I'll admit, a new level of irrational. 

I don't know why you seem to feel that criticism of Sonar doesn't belong here. This is a free flowing discussion about the program and its future - there are going to be those who plan to use Sonar to the death, and those who feel like they should invest in another DAW. Both camps are free to give their reasons why. You're not going to see a discussion like this without the pros and cons of Sonar appearing as a side topic. Regardless of what you experience with your Sonar workflow, the program has some very real, tangible problems which are serious enough to cause loss of work, and anyone considering whether or not to use a completely unsupported DAW with no forthcoming bug fixes should take them into consideration. Regardless of whether or not you think talking about them is "trashing" the program. 

How about acting like an adult and recognizing the fact that my motive for making the comments that I have isn't purely to "rub people's noses in it," "call Sonar users stupid" or to "tell everyone how many bugs Sonar has for the sake of it" By that same logic, I could ask you why you feel the need to come here and shout down anyone who talks about Sonar's problems.

It's quite obvious that you're sensitive about Sonar to the point where it really bothers you that anyone would make an argument for abandoning it.

The bottom line is that you see no reason why discussions shouldn't be one sided and cherry picked. And that anyone who makes the "wrong" kind of comments has no right to take part.

James
StepD
  • Total Posts : 594
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/05 22:57:47 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby chuckebaby 2018/01/05 23:25:41
You guys are out of control.

Core2 6600 2.40 GHz, ASUS P5B Deluxe, 8GB RAM, GeForce GT 630 2GB, 3 Seagate Sata, Echo AudioFire 4 asio, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab
chuckebaby
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/05 23:29:55 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby backwoods 2018/01/05 23:31:33
There is nothing more here happening except arguments.
This thread started out pretty good with good intentions. Even the occasional rant was justified.
But now 3 or 4 pages of trolling is enough for me because that's exactly what this has turned in to. Glorified trolling.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and their complaints but this is ridicules.
Alex you said you were done like 5 times but cant seem to get enough of getting under peoples skin.
This forum was originally started as a user support group. users helping other users.
This isn't users helping other users. This is "I'm using Cakewalks site as my public personal complaint soapbox".

CakeAlexSHere
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/05 23:56:04 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby sharke 2018/01/06 00:28:36
chuckebaby
This thread started out pretty good with good intentions. Even the occasional rant was justified.
But now 3 or 4 pages of trolling is enough for me because that's exactly what this has turned in to. Glorified trolling.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and their complaints but this is ridicules.
Alex you said you were done like 5 times but cant seem to get enough of getting under peoples skin.
This forum was originally started as a user support group. users helping other users.
This isn't users helping other users. This is "I'm using Cakewalks site as my public personal complaint soapbox".

Just to remind you, you've been posting quite a bit as well, however I have no complaints about it, nor will I start labelling you as an evil doer. That wouldn't be very nice. Also this is a discussion thread nobody is asking for help.

v v v v v v

CakeAlexSHere
Anyway some people will find these comments too much to bare and will probably start throwing stuff at me just for saying all this, or start analyzing this in minute detail by cherry picking quotes perhaps adding their own observations (as though I am actually saying it when I am not), but I hope others can see I'm just being honest and in a little mourning myself, so now is the time to leave.. for now at least.

Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 729
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/06 00:21:39 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby sharke 2018/01/06 00:28:32
StepD

You guys are out of control.

If the definition of 'out of control' is stating the facts and telling it like it is, then yes I would agree.

Intel i7 4790 @3.6Ghz - 32GB Ram - Windows 10 Pro 64bit - RME Fireface UFX+
Studio One 4 Professional, REAPER, CbB-(Couldnb't be Bothered)
More Plugs than Plumbers Warehouse.

Happy Studio One User Since August 2015

"It's the entertainment value, the comic relief . . . plus the Software and Deals Forum"

sharke
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/06 00:28:26 (permalink)
chuckebaby

What exactly is "trolling" though? It seems to me that anytime someone is expressing an unpopular view on a forum, regardless of whether or not they're expressing it rationally, sooner or later they get called a troll. Personally, I think the word "troll" is grossly overused, and frequently misused. If someone is trolling, their sole motive for being here is to argue for the sake of it.

This is a public forum, and in any discussion there's some back and forth. Point, counterpoint. The topic, in general, is the end of Cakewalk, what it means for Sonar and what users are going to do going forward. My view, for example, is that Sonar has a lot of serious problems and that the most prudent way forward would be to switch DAW's to something that has ongoing development, a healthy user base and is even superior to Sonar in many ways. A perfectly reasonable view. Yet some here seem to think that this entire viewpoint is nothing more than a vehicle to attack and degrade them for wanting to stick with Sonar. This is where people's emotions intrude to the point of ridiculousness. And then what happens is, you get attacked for it, and so you respond, and are attacked back, and then you respond to that, and before you know it people are accusing you of posting obsessively (even though every one of your posts is in response to someone else's attack). And then you're a "troll." 

It seems to me that in one respect, there are two sides here: those who are happy to let anyone express their opinion in this free for all thread about Cakewalk, and those who believe that certain opinions "have no place here" and are a personal attack against them or insulting to Sonar or whatever other nonsense. For the record, I belong to the first camp. I'll continue to relate my experiences with Sonar and advise anyone who is on the fence about jumping ship to look for a new DAW. 

James
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 729
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/06 00:36:22 (permalink)
+inf
It's always been that way.

Intel i7 4790 @3.6Ghz - 32GB Ram - Windows 10 Pro 64bit - RME Fireface UFX+
Studio One 4 Professional, REAPER, CbB-(Couldnb't be Bothered)
More Plugs than Plumbers Warehouse.

Happy Studio One User Since August 2015

"It's the entertainment value, the comic relief . . . plus the Software and Deals Forum"

CakeAlexSHere
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/06 00:55:45 (permalink)
++ Story of my life.
bapu
  • Total Posts : 86000
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/06 01:08:10 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby hockeyjx 2018/01/06 01:31:30
I thoroughly enjoy using SONAR Platinum. I have not experienced many of the bugs that sharke encounters (or others for that matter) and I have projects that range from 30-50+ tracks and maybe as many plugs/VSTi instances. Maybe I use different plugs than him, I couldn't care less what the reason is that he gets those bugs. I've tried to recreate to the best of my ability the problems he's talked about over he years and only on rare occasions have I been able to confirm his findings. 

I accept there will be no more SONAR dev (or coffee cups or hover cars). I'm straddling the fence in a positive way. I'm not sad, mad or stressed out. I'm being proactive.

I now own Studio One 3 Pro, Reaper 5, Sapmlitude and Mixcraft 8. I don't count Mixbus32C as a DAW, it's a console to me and that's how I intend to continue to use it.

Each of those DAWs have some strengths over SONAR but none (yet) beat SONAR by miles (for me). Studio One 3 Pro is ahead in the race though. But even it is shadowed in some minor areas by the other DAWs. Go figure, so far for me, no one DAW does it all.

Being a hobbyist I've stated on another forum that I'm in no immediate need to switch to a DAW that does not meet my needs or compromises certain workflow beauties that SONAR has over them.

At some point one of those DAWs will pull ahead of SONAR (before or after it actually dies completely) and then I will probably make the full move to them. In the meantime I'll do some solo project experimentation in all of them to see how the day to day use of the DAW shakes out (crashes, workflow killers etc.). If I never had SONAR any one of those DAWs would probably work for me, as I would adapt from day one on how it works, but for now SONAR is my Gold Standard for the way I like to work.

hockeyjx
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 839
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/06 01:35:45 (permalink)
Well said Bapu!

I'm in the same boat.

At some point, I'll be upgrading the whole DAW & interface, but not until I think it is worth it for what I do.

Intel i7 950 Proc, Asus Sabertooth x58 MB, 2 Crucial 128GB SSDs and Seagate 1TBGB drive, 12GB Corsair 1600mhz 8-8-8-24 Memory, Nvidia GeForece 8400 Dual Monitor vid card
Cooler Master Silent Pro 700w Power Supply, Cooler Master Sileo 500

Win 7 64 bit, SPlat 64-bit, Komplete 10 Ultimate, AmpliTube3 and AD2

Tascam FW-1884 and AKAI MPK-49
sharke
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/06 01:45:33 (permalink)
bapu
I thoroughly enjoy using SONAR Platinum. I have not experienced many of the bugs that sharke encounters (or others for that matter) and I have projects that range from 30-50+ tracks and maybe as many plugs/VSTi instances. Maybe I use different plugs than him, I couldn't care less what the reason is that he gets those bugs. I've tried to recreate to the best of my ability the problems he's talked about over he years and only on rare occasions have I been able to confirm his findings. 

This to me is at the heart of why these problems never got fixed. They were so hard to pin down. The main problem I've ranted about over the years is synths and plugins losing their settings, and I guess that's either tied closely to certain plugins and/or perhaps a certain workflow. If it were the case that everyone was seeing their plugin settings reset, I should imagine the problem would have been a lot easier to fix. But so much of what I (and others) saw in Sonar was a baffling mystery - you often had two people with much the same setup performing much the same actions and getting different results. I thought I was doing something wrong (or going mad) until I heard others reporting exactly the same problems (and finally had the Bakers confirm the problem). I'm now at ease with the idea that other people didn't experience them. However, that doesn't mean they didn't exist, and the problems are as encoded in everyone else's Sonar executable as they are in mine - it just takes a certain set of circumstances or actions to bring them out. In contrast, there was always a camp in the Sonar forum which couldn't help insinuating that perhaps people who experienced this weirdness was doing something wrong, or that they had outdated hardware drivers or even that they were just trying to cause trouble (and throw Sonar in a bad light). That's why I ended up shying away from the main Sonar forum and just hanging out in the Coffee House (or the Beta forum or wherever). 

James
InstrEd
Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1276
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/06 01:49:46 (permalink)
I feel as Bapu does.
I do like some of the gapless audio engines in the newer DAW's but Sonar still feels like home.
I'm getting my feet wet in Samplitude, Tracktion, and I brought Presonus SO3. Don't know where I will land at this moment. Samplitude feels like Sonar 8.5 and the Kraznet's viedoes have helped me immensely. Tracktion I love the
pattern generator. Presonus I'm really just starting to dapple in. But with the JRRshop group buy I thought what the heck. More instrument sounds to toy with
So in all of this mess, I'm looking at the silver lining. I realize there are other DAW's out there
that I like to use. I never would of brought them if Sonar was still being supported. I'll end up learning one of them deeply but use the others for there strengths. 

Mixcraft ProStudio 8,  I believe I'll get before and the end of the month too at the sale price. I really dig the performance panel grid. Perfect for some instrumental type canon music I was doing with kids from my child's school.

I hope the Cakewalk employees all end up with productive jobs going forward and I thank them for giving us an amazing DAW. Hoping Noel ends up at Microsoft and leads the team to make a CoreAudio type driver for Windows.
I can dream can't I.
Sonar was not perfect, but I still enjoy using it. Even with the notation not being addressed :)

I'll miss this forum. I might not of been a high count poster, but I checked the forum several times a day to see what was up. I will miss all of the regular posters that made this forum so great.
We might not of agreed, but I loved the bantering back and forth and I always seemed to learn something.

Instred
Chicagoland, IL 

CakeAlexSHere
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/06 01:52:14 (permalink)
My experience was different, I managed to log good repro steps for everything, and almost nothing actually happened/it just gathered dust/no fixes.
bapu
  • Total Posts : 86000
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/06 02:22:40 (permalink)
CakeAlexSHere
My experience was different

Again, life in a nutshell.

No one size fits all answer for anything.
CakeAlexSHere
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/06 02:24:11 (permalink)
Right. Same old bugs though :)
hockeyjx
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 839
Re: Cakewalk Announcement 2018/01/06 02:49:24 (permalink)
Ever know someone who always needed the last word? Or someone that always thought they were the smartest person anywhere at anytime?

I have.

Intel i7 950 Proc, Asus Sabertooth x58 MB, 2 Crucial 128GB SSDs and Seagate 1TBGB drive, 12GB Corsair 1600mhz 8-8-8-24 Memory, Nvidia GeForece 8400 Dual Monitor vid card
Cooler Master Silent Pro 700w Power Supply, Cooler Master Sileo 500

Win 7 64 bit, SPlat 64-bit, Komplete 10 Ultimate, AmpliTube3 and AD2

Tascam FW-1884 and AKAI MPK-49
Page: << < ..5152535455.. > >> Showing page 51 of 59
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1